PDA

View Full Version : Intel Launches Penryn Mobile Processors

MacRumors
Jan 7, 2008, 11:13 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

At the Consumer Electronics Show 2008, Intel introduced (http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20080107comp.htm) 16 new Penryn processors, including the first 45nm mobile processors. Amongst the 16 new processors, five are new mobile processors, three quad core and four dual core desktop processors, and four server processors.

The new mobile Penryn procesors feature (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141097-c,ces/article.html) a 45-nm architecture, ranging from 2.1 to 2.8GHz (previously detailed (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/02/upcoming-mobile-intel-penryn-prototype-previewed/)). Increased L2 cache (up to 6MB), and the new SSE4 instruction set can provide a significant boost in performance if supported: "If you look at raw power from Merom to Penryn, the performance gain isn't going to be huge," says Intel spokesperson Connie Brown. "If it's something that relies on SSE4 instruction set, it's in the double digits."
The first of the Penryn-based processors should start appearing in notebooks as early as next week. Apple will be holding their Keynote speech at Macworld Expo 2008 on January 15th. Apple is widely expected to introduce a new thin-notebook and may also update their MacBook Pro line which is due for revision.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/07/intel-launches-penryn-mobile-processors/)

CWallace
Jan 7, 2008, 11:16 AM
Guess we know what will be powering the new MacSubBook and any MacBook (Pro) updates announced at MacWorld. ;)

!¡ V ¡!
Jan 7, 2008, 11:19 AM
Guess we know what will be powering the new MacSubBook and any MacBook (Pro) updates announced at MacWorld. ;)

Glad to see there are no surprises with the Intel transition, 1 nail in the Apple secrecy coffin. ;)

theheyes
4 cores and SSE4 is great news for anyone who does a lot of encoding.

GFLPraxis
I want one already.

Of course, Apple never updates the whole lineup at once. We can probably expect the Mac Pro to get these, but I doubt an ultrathin MacBook will get it before the MacBook Pro. Then again, perhaps the MBP will get an update?

Squonk
Jan 7, 2008, 11:20 AM
So hopefully we'll be getting new MBP's with Penryn and a 10.5 update which implements SSE4 for both MBP and Mac Pro's. :)

Xeem
Jan 7, 2008, 11:21 AM
A 2.8GHz Macbook Pro? I'd hit that.

wheezy
Jan 7, 2008, 11:24 AM

Dude, you need a girlfriend :) That's funny

JFreak
Jan 7, 2008, 11:24 AM
So is the new SSE4 going to be as powerful as AltiVec used to be?

Stella
Jan 7, 2008, 11:29 AM
Roll on the new MB Pro announcements next week!
:-)

bmcgrath
Jan 7, 2008, 11:29 AM
2.8ghz in a Mac portable? oooooh!!! O.o

killmoms
Jan 7, 2008, 11:31 AM
So is the new SSE4 going to be as powerful as AltiVec used to be?

Considering we've already made up for the "loss" of Altivec with overall faster chips in real-world performance for tasks both strenuous and non, I'd say it doesn't really matter. :rolleyes:

joefinan
Jan 7, 2008, 11:32 AM
So will we see these in the new macbook pros to be introduced next week?

joefinan
Jan 7, 2008, 11:32 AM
Sse4?

CWallace
Jan 7, 2008, 11:33 AM
Sse4?

SSE4 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE4

mattvolp
Jan 7, 2008, 11:34 AM

Yes, definitely yes.:)

runplaysleeprun
Jan 7, 2008, 11:34 AM
Are many (any?) mac apps going to be able to take advantage of SSE4? The OS going to support it?

Foxglove9
Jan 7, 2008, 11:35 AM
So I'm pretty sure now we'll see new MBP's next week with this new processor. The MB's and ultrathin MB will probably continue to use the older chipset.

Excited for next week!

Adokimus
Jan 7, 2008, 11:36 AM
This is great news and all, but it took Apple around a month to release SR MBPs from when the technology was released by intel. Is it really feasible to see this being announced, nevermind shipping, in a week?

Just throwing that out there. I'm waiting until Montevina anyway.

-Ado

Adokimus
Jan 7, 2008, 11:38 AM

A newbie has given you a definitive answer. Put an end to any doubt in your head!

[/SARCASM]

fivepoint
Jan 7, 2008, 11:39 AM
What about the iMacs? They use the same processors as the MBPs... so when will we see an updated iMac? It has been 155 days since the last update.

Do you think we will see it soon, as in a week or two after Macworld? Or when?

darthraige
Jan 7, 2008, 11:40 AM
The first of the Penryn-based processors should start appearing in notebooks as early as next week.

We've heard that before... Hopefully if Apple is going to introduce
"Penryn" at MacWorld, they better also introduce the new MacPro along side the MacBook Pro.

darthraige
Jan 7, 2008, 11:42 AM
so when will we see an updated iMac? It has been 155 days since the last update.

It's been over 500 days for the MacPro. I think that has priority over every other Mac at the moment. I can see the iMac getting updated in the Spring. Unless Apple goes with a "Penryn" theme at MacWorld and updates everything.

lord patton
Jan 7, 2008, 11:42 AM
We can probably expect the Mac Pro to get these, but I doubt an ultrathin MacBook will get it before the MacBook Pro. Then again, perhaps the MBP will get an update?

Actually, I think Penryn's die shrink and lower power consumption are a lock for any smaller MacBook/Pro.

twoodcc
Jan 7, 2008, 11:44 AM
i really hope these are in the new thin-notebook that apple will announce next week (hopefully)

sunfast
Jan 7, 2008, 11:44 AM
We can probably expect the Mac Pro to get these

But aren't these mobile processors?

Squonk
Jan 7, 2008, 11:46 AM
This is great news and all, but it took Apple around a month to release SR MBPs from when the technology was released by intel. Is it really feasible to see this being announced, nevermind shipping, in a week?

-Ado

The SR update involved changing the motherboards. This change is a CPU change using the current motherboard. So, I think it is definitely possible for an update to come out faster - assuming they have CPUs in hand to build and they have ramped up production.

MrCrowbar
Jan 7, 2008, 11:46 AM
So those mobile chips are dual core only? Couldn't find any real list of the specs. Things like heat development, power consumption and benchmarks compared to older chips would be neat.

diamond.g
Jan 7, 2008, 11:48 AM
4 cores and SSE4 is great news for anyone who does a lot of encoding.
iMacs use Mobile processors. So no 4 core till second half of the year.
But aren't these mobile processors?
Nope there are some Xeons in there, but sadly only the X3000 series was mentioned. I was under the impression that Apple uses the X5000 series.

fivepoint
Jan 7, 2008, 11:50 AM
It's been over 500 days for the MacPro. I think that has priority over every other Mac at the moment. I can see the iMac getting updated in the Spring. Unless Apple goes with a "Penryn" theme at MacWorld and updates everything.

I was kind of wondering about that as well... Instead of everyone saying "they can't update them all at once", I could see them doing exactly that. One of the big keynote points would be the success of the Intel transition and explain that the next jump is penryn. "Today, all of our macs are getting a power boost. The Penryn will be in the MacPro, the Macbook Pro, the iMac, and the MacBook."

Well, I can atleast HOPE this is what happens. I need a new iMac bad, but would like to wait for the next revision if its close at all (in the next month and a half).

fluidedge
Jan 7, 2008, 11:52 AM
can we get a list of the 16 processors please, listing clock, cache etc...

BornAgainMac
Jan 7, 2008, 11:54 AM
Are many (any?) mac apps going to be able to take advantage of SSE4? The OS going to support it?

Yea, like Core Animation. Nobody is jumping on that. I hope they jump on SSE4 with it's less cooler name.

SirOmega
Jan 7, 2008, 11:55 AM
Things are also looking very good for an all-quad Mac Pro lineup. Today's announcement also had 4 Xeon processors in addition to the 3 that have already been launched. Six quad core and only one dual core Xeon chips.

SirOmega
Jan 7, 2008, 11:56 AM

Anandtech has a chart here (http://www.anandtech.com/GalleryImage.aspx?id=19)

Malcster
Nice! although I won't be doing anything that could use the extra speed, so ill be sticking with my Core2 2.33 MBP for the forseeable future.

sdhollman
I am confused. I know the mobile ships have not been released yet but the Xeons were released on November 12th, what is new about that? you can buy them at new egg right now.

Also if they update the MBP again before the MP I am going to scream, you guys get an update every 6 months or so. I thought the intel switch was supposed to give us faster updates, this is the biggest drought in Apple tower history.

Just venting. :(

Bearxor
Jan 7, 2008, 11:59 AM
Unless there's something to the new MBP's like a complete redesign or the option for a 1680x1050 screen on the 15" model, this will be a complete non-event for the MBP line. Speed bumps these days don't do a whole lot for me.

Edit: Perhaps, if Apple chooses the T9300 or T9500 with 6MB of L2 cache, that would be nice. But not nice enough for people with 2.13/2.2/2.33/2.4 MBP's to really upgrade.

Malcster
Jan 7, 2008, 12:01 PM
Unless there's something to the new MBP's like a complete redesign or the option for a 1680x1050 screen on the 15" model, this will be a complete non-event for the MBP line. Speed bumps these days don't do a whole lot for me.

Yup, im in same boat, my current machine is well fast enough for me.

Feverish Flux
Jan 7, 2008, 12:01 PM

Mobile

Processor Speed L2 cache FSB Speed
Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8GHz 6MB 800MHz
Core 2 Duo T9500 2.6GHz 6MB 800MHz
Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz 6MB 800MHz
Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4GHz 3MB 800MHz
Core 2 Duo T8100 2.1GHz 3MB 800MHz

Desktops

Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 12MB 1333MHz
Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz 12MB 1333MHz
Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz 6MB 1333MHz
Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz 6MB 1333MHz
Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz 6MB 1333MHz
Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66GHz 6MB 1333MHz
Core 2 Duo E8190 2.66GHz 6MB 1333MHz

Xeons

Quad-core Xeon X3360 2.83GHz 12MB 1333MHz
Quad-core Xeon X3350 2.66GHz 12MB 1333MHz
Quad-core Xeon X3320 2.5GHz 6MB 1333MHz
Dual-core Xeon E3110 3GHz 6MB 1333MHz

fromalk
Jan 7, 2008, 12:05 PM

Edit: Perhaps, if Apple chooses the T9300 or T9500 with 6MB of L2 cache, that would be nice. But not nice enough for people with 2.13/2.2/2.33/2.4 MBP's to really upgrade.

Well I'm personally hoping for the opposite,

I'm waiting to place my order to see what the new update is about. Hopefully the design stays because I like the current one way better then the mock up's I've seen allready. A huge ass touchpad is useless for me (I think :p)

what I need is
more drive space
higher resolution
and if possible these new cpu's ;)

Bearxor
Jan 7, 2008, 12:06 PM
Here's hoping that Apple offers a something with a Q9300 or something so that maybe they can deliver a sub-1500 desktop tower.

Not likely... But one can dream, eh?

centauratlas
Jan 7, 2008, 12:08 PM
My predictions are:
1. New Mac Pros, as stated, they've been needing an update for a while, so that is extremely likely, particularly in light of today's news.
2. Maybe the "thin-book," if so, then Mac Book Pros will be at least Spring. If no thin-book, then I also think that the MB Pros won't be shipping until Feb/March/April with these chips. I don't think they'll be announced before they can be shipped shortly thereafter.
3. iMacs - not until Spring.
4. Apple has also used unannounced Intel product numbers before, so there is always the chance that will happen here.

Apple rarely (if ever) has updated everything at once - and for several reasons (good ones, I think): 1. If supplies are constrained on chips, then they are still selling the 'older' models instead of nothing, 2. If there are problems with chips, motherboards or other components that they find later, everything is not depend it, 3. If there are multiple unknown OS incompatibilities that are only discovered during use, they are dealing with a smaller subset of machines in need of updates.

Regarding shipping this is what Intel says, in part:
Dual core desktop processor-based PCs using these new processors begin shipping this month; quad core-based systems plan to arrive later this quarter.

The company also introduced four Intel Xeon processors for servers and workstations; they are expected to ship this quarter.
(http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20080107comp.htm?iid=pr1_releasepri_20080107m)

-Ado

Bearxor
Jan 7, 2008, 12:09 PM
Well I'm personally hoping for the opposite,

I'm waiting to place my order to see what the new update is about. Hopefully the design stays because I like the current one way better then the mock up's I've seen allready. A huge ass touchpad is useless for me (I think :p)

what I need is
more drive space
higher resolution
and if possible these new cpu's ;)

Oh, absolutely if you're looking at buying one then hold off. I'm just talking about those of us that already have C2D-based machines.

I'm happy with the design of the MBP. I'd wish for a different hinge design so it would be easier to use in bed. More USB ports. Some kind of integrated card reader.

If a 15" launches that give me 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 I'll drop my current one like a hot potato when it gets back from Apple repair. I'm back to using my Inspiron 6000 with a 1680x1050 screen and man do I miss that screen resolution. At least the MBP's aren't saddled with 1280x800.

MovieCutter
Jan 7, 2008, 12:12 PM
It's been over 500 days for the MacPro. I think that has priority over every other Mac at the moment.

It's there least selling machine. Always has been. I'd say it has less priority, especially over laptops. And this announcement is for MOBILE chips for everything BUT the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro will likely use server-class Harpertown processors.

chaos86
Jan 7, 2008, 12:14 PM
If it's something that relies on SSE4 instruction set, it's in the double digits.

So does anyone have an example of what we might do on a Mac that could use the SSE4 instruction sets?

uNext
Jan 7, 2008, 12:17 PM
What kills me is that i know people that buy the pro
but all they do is broswe the internet, email listen to music and transfer videos to their ps3's. And they update their computer everytime a new one comes out LOL.

a 800mhz system can do that but i just dont know why they feel the need to spend 2500+ on a computer to do basic stuff.

iSee
Jan 7, 2008, 12:18 PM
What??? Are you sure about that? I could've sworn they were desktop processors...

Crike .40
Jan 7, 2008, 12:19 PM
I just purchased the 2.2 15" MBP for my fiance. The bookstore where she goes to school was dumping them at $1500 and I couldn't resist the price. I am friends with the manager there and the assumption (they don't know anymore than the customers usually) is that she is trying to get rid of her inventory before the possible updates. They had only 28 left after I purchased mine. There isn't much AAPL could do to make me want the apparent "new" version instead of the 400 discount I found there.

That being said, a new babyBook to replace my aging 12" PB will be a welcome upgrade for me and I have nothing but time to wait.

Patchwork
Jan 7, 2008, 12:20 PM
Just thought I'd share that Sony have announced at CES that they are upgrading some of their laptops with Penryn processors, but not changing their case design. There is also a 13 inch Penryn based laptop with led screen, T9300 processor and Nvidia's GeForce 8400 and is available for pre-order today, though at $2,500 it is expensive. Interestingly they haven't put a Penryn chip in their ultraportable. As Toshiba have also announced Penryn based machines hopefully we'll see Apple upgrading their's next week.

darthraige
Jan 7, 2008, 12:20 PM
It's there least selling machine. Always has been. I'd say it has less priority, especially over laptops.

It's extremely outdated. Who wants a 2 1/2 year old graphics card? Or wants to pay for a 4-core when you can get an 8-core for the same price?

And this announcement is for MOBILE chips for everything BUT the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro will likely use server-class Harpertown processors.

No kidding. I am just saying at MacWorld, Apple should just have a "Penryn" theme and update everything.

darthraige
Jan 7, 2008, 12:22 PM
but all they do is broswe the internet, email listen to music and transfer videos to their ps3's. And they update their computer everytime a new one comes out LOL.

a 800mhz system can do that but i just dont know why they feel the need to spend 2500+ on a computer to do basic stuff.

I don't do basic stuff. I use Final Cut Studio 2, and pretty much all the Adobe programs. Can't wait for this new machine. It will cut my time in half even more.

OllyW
Jan 7, 2008, 12:23 PM
What??? Are you sure about that? I could've sworn they were desktop processors...

The only Mac which doesn't use mobile processors is the Mac Pro.

Brianstorm91
Jan 7, 2008, 12:23 PM

Nope, mobile: keeps costs down.

dante@sisna.com
Jan 7, 2008, 12:24 PM
2.8ghz in a Mac portable? oooooh!!! O.o

2.6ghz on a 17" high res with 4gig and 200 gig 7200 rpm is already pretty dang sweet.

MovieCutter
Jan 7, 2008, 12:26 PM
I don't do basic stuff. I use Final Cut Studio 2, and pretty much all the Adobe programs. Can't wait for this new machine. It will cut my time in half even more.

Wow, you think FCS 2 will use all 8 cores? Or that the new processors will be 6Ghz? You'll get a 10% boost MAYBE. From your current setup, you'll get ABOUT the same performance with the current Mac Pro and the next Mac Pro. You can buy the graphics card separately.

Stella
Jan 7, 2008, 12:26 PM
A newbie has given you a definitive answer. Put an end to any doubt in your head!

[/SARCASM]

I know its sarcasm, but being a newbie doesn't mean they have less Mac knowledge than anyone else registered.

dernhelm
Jan 7, 2008, 12:27 PM

I think the bigger concern is heat.

dernhelm
Jan 7, 2008, 12:29 PM
I know its sarcasm, but being a newbie doesn't mean they have less Mac knowledge than anyone else registered.

Right. I was a newbie for almost a full year. Just because one doesn't post a lot doesn't mean they don't know a lot, or have a lot of experience.

Pressure
Jan 7, 2008, 12:34 PM

Nope there are some Xeons in there, but sadly only the X3000 series was mentioned. I was under the impression that Apple uses the X5000 series.

Why mention chips that were announced two months ago?

darthraige
Jan 7, 2008, 12:35 PM
Wow, you think FCS 2 will use all 8 cores? Or that the new processors will be 6Ghz? You'll get a 10% boost MAYBE. From your current setup, you'll get ABOUT the same performance with the current Mac Pro and the next Mac Pro. You can buy the graphics card separately.

1. I am not using a MacPro... I'm using a Dual 2Ghz G5 (at work)
2. I have a crappy G4 ready for replacement at home.
3. Why would I buy a current MacPro when a newer one is around the corner?
4. I'm sure Compressor could use all 8-Cores.
5. When Final Cut Studio 3 comes out, I'm sure it will use all 8-Cores. Rather be prepared if I'm gonna be keeping the machine for 6+ years.

shawnce
Jan 7, 2008, 12:37 PM

iMac (and Mac Mini) use a mobile chipset and mobile processors.

masse
Jan 7, 2008, 12:39 PM

People get too caught up in the hype. a year ago penryn seemed like this amazing progression with evolutionary performance gain. Not true. I doubt any casual user would notice the difference between a penryn mobile processor and any 2.0 ghz core 2 duo.

Wake me up when my long wait (haven't purchased a new computer since 2003) has been worth it. I'm holding off until montevina because of principle. I didn't buy last year at this time because i was waiting for SR, when it came I decided to wait for penryn etc...now, since I could have bought back then and not even noticed a difference with the next upgrade, I continue my wait.

you wait when you shouldn't, then end up waiting so that you feel the wait was worth it...and it never is. Anyway, the benchmarks shall tell the story.

echoout
Jan 7, 2008, 12:39 PM
My life revolves around After Effects. You bet I need all 8 processors. The current 8-core is still not fast enough for video professionals working in HD.

MovieCutter
Jan 7, 2008, 12:41 PM
1. I am not using a MacPro... I'm using a Dual 2Ghz G5 (at work)
2. I have a crappy G4 ready for replacement at home.
3. Why would I buy a current MacPro when a newer one is around the corner?
4. I'm sure Compressor could use all 8-Cores.
5. When Final Cut Studio 3 comes out, I'm sure it will use all 8-Cores. Rather be prepared if I'm gonna be keeping the machine for 6+ years.

I'm not saying you SHOULD buy a current one. I'm just saying that new ones aren't going to have this groundbreaking performance difference.

AidenShaw
Jan 7, 2008, 12:42 PM

Actually, mobile CPUs and chipsets are more expensive than mainstream desktop parts....

Look at http://www.anandtech.com/GalleryImage.aspx?id=19,

Mobile 2.6 GHz - $530
Desktop 2.66 GHz - $163

Squonk
Jan 7, 2008, 12:44 PM
Actually, mobile CPUs and chipsets are more expensive than mainstream desktop parts....

It's all about the heat then, right? So they can build smaller (mini, iMac) machines without fans... There aren't fans in the iMac, are there?

pgwalsh
Jan 7, 2008, 12:48 PM
Looking forward to a ultra light and portable Mac than can sync specific folders with my Mac Pro. Hopefully it's not wishful thinking.

darthraige
Jan 7, 2008, 12:50 PM
I'm not saying you SHOULD buy a current one. I'm just saying that new ones aren't going to have this groundbreaking performance difference.

Well, the current machine is not worth its price at the moment. Especially if a new machine is on its way with the possibility of it coming standard with 2GB memory, 512mb Graphics, and a bigger hard drive. An 8-Core machine would help me a lot more than a 4-Core, especially when I'm using Compressor and After Effects.

Adokimus
Jan 7, 2008, 12:51 PM
Background:

[/SARCASM]

Right. I was a newbie for almost a full year. Just because one doesn't post a lot doesn't mean they don't know a lot, or have a lot of experience.

Response:

If the newbie were discussing Final Cut Pro, digital photography, or even processor specs I would agree with you. Post counts do not mean knowledge. However, when anyone makes guarantees about future Apple product designs or release dates, we will have to agree to disagree as to their reliability. And newbies tend make these guarantees more often.

-Ado

shawnce
Jan 7, 2008, 12:53 PM

Groundbreaking, no but with SSE4 and a better multi-core chipset the next generation Mac Pros will see reasonable performance gains for specific work loads. Also they will have a better power to performance profile (think green ;)).

It's all about the heat then, right? So they can build smaller (mini, iMac) machines without fans... There aren't fans in the iMac, are there?

Heat would be a factor as well as being able to order more in volume, manage fewer parts, and less platform expert work given more products sharing the same chipset/processors.

dabirdwell
Jan 7, 2008, 12:54 PM

Doesn't the iMac use blowers? Or was that only in the G5 design?

G.I. Joe
Jan 7, 2008, 12:57 PM
It's my pleasure to finally write a post here. I've been following macrumors and other apple rumor sites since last summer. At the time leopard presentation made me want a mac. No longer that pretty computer idea with no software available to see it has something I want and need.

Since then I looked at youtube videos, sites, you name it, and macs I could lay my hands on. When the rumors about these new processors came (I still remember Multimedia's table lol) i thought it would be perfect timing. And by now me and 3 of my friends (which I gladly convinced) are ready to take the step towards macs. Not having this update now would be very frustrating, so please apple do it!

See u around. :)

Squonk
Jan 7, 2008, 01:00 PM
It's my pleasure to finally write a post here. I've been following macrumors and other apple rumor sites since last summer. At the time leopard presentation made me want a mac. No longer that pretty computer idea with no software available to see it has something I want and need.

Since then I looked at youtube videos, sites, you name it, and macs I could lay my hands on. When the rumors about these new processors came (I still remember Multimedia's table lol) i thought it would be perfect timing. And by now me and 3 of my friends (which I gladly convinced) are ready to take the step towards macs. Not having this update now would be very frustrating, so please apple do it!

See u around. :)

Welcome aboard GIJoe! Next week should prove to impress us! (I hope...)

Data
Jan 7, 2008, 01:02 PM
I just hope that the 8Core machienes go down in price a little bit, but i'm afraid not.

akm3
Jan 7, 2008, 01:04 PM
What is the difference between the Xeon X3360, 50, and 20 and the Core 2 Duo Q9550, 9450, and 9300?

Same number of cores, same FSB, same cache, same architecture - Same price???

Do they use a different slot or use a different chipset that requires more expensive server RAM or something?

Feverish Flux

Yes, the current and past models use(d) fans:

http://www.kodawarisan.com/imac_2007_mid/DSC_3824.jpg

Pressure

Compared to the current base model, the new Mac Pro will be tremendously faster if it becomes all 8-core models.

roland.g
Jan 7, 2008, 01:07 PM
I bought a new iMac in August when they came out and had been waiting for quite a long time. I am very happy with it, except for intermittent freezing which I will be taking it in for once my backup drive arrives this week.

I had been counting on the fact that the new iMac revisions would not include Penryn till Spring. I would be surprised if they updated it at MWSF.

However, I still don't expect that there is much of a performance boost from my 2.8 Extreme to the new Penryn 2.8 Extreme.

eddx
Jan 7, 2008, 01:10 PM
Nice to see Intel updating their processors. I was hoping for quad core MBPs but from my research I can't see this launching for another 12 months.

Maybe Macworld 2009 will have 3.0Ghz Quad Core MBPs with 8-16gb of ram and 500-750gb hard drives - that is when I look at it and think...maybe its time to start saving for a new one.

Still, I think we will all be interested to see if such processors and incorporated into the infamous "macbook nano / macbook mini" sub-notebook.

fivepoint
Jan 7, 2008, 01:12 PM
I bought a new iMac in August when they came out and had been waiting for quite a long time. I am very happy with it, except for intermittent freezing which I will be taking it in for once my backup drive arrives this week.

I had been counting on the fact that the new iMac revisions would not include Penryn till Spring. I would be surprised if they updated it at MWSF.

However, I still don't expect that there is much of a performance boost from my 2.8 Extreme to the new Penryn 2.8 Extreme.

It's been 153 days since the last update! C'mon man, I need this! Don't be thinking like that...

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

roland.g
Jan 7, 2008, 01:16 PM
It's been 153 days since the last update! C'mon man, I need this! Don't be thinking like that...

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

Apple has been stretching the updates somewhat I think 180-210 days is going to be more come for iMac updates. That's 6-7 months.

1st. Mac Pro
2nd. MacBook Pro
3rd. iMac
4th. MacBook

mgargan1
Jan 7, 2008, 01:17 PM
Maybe Macworld 2009 will have 3.0Ghz Quad Core MBPs with 8-16gb of ram and 500-750gb hard drives - that is when I look at it and think...maybe its time to start saving for a new one.

i can almost guarantee we won't see 8-16GB of Ram in 2009 (400-800% increase in a year)

750GB... I doubt we'll see that also... (300% increase in a year)

iSee
Jan 7, 2008, 01:21 PM
The only Mac which doesn't use mobile processors is the Mac Pro.Nope, mobile: keeps costs down.iMac (and Mac Mini) use a mobile chipset and mobile processors.
OK, OK, I'm out-voted 999999 to 1. Wishful thinking on my part, I guess: I was kind of hoping for a quad core iMac at MW.

(My wife and I are going to get a new Mac soon. The iMac is most appropriate for us for a number of reasons, except that my wife swears she will be editing video on it. I know she intends to do this, but realistically, she doesn't have the time so a MP would be so impractical. A quad-core iMac, though, kind of splits the difference--form-factor and price close to current iMacs, but reasonable video-editing muscle. With MPs presumably going all 8-core, there's room in the lineup... *Sigh*... Wishful thinking...)

diamond.g
Why mention chips that were announced two months ago? I haven't the foggiest idea why they did that.

Nice to see Intel updating their processors. I was hoping for quad core MBPs but from my research I can't see this launching for another 12 months.

Still, I think we will all be interested to see if such processors and incorporated into the infamous "macbook nano / macbook mini" sub-notebook.
Actually the Quad core mobile Penryns are expected sometimes from June-December of this year. Whether Apple uses them that soon is anyones guess. Thermals from my understanding were hitting 45W TDP which is higher than the 35W TDP Apple currently employs in all consumer Macs (and MBP) but the iMac 2.8 Extreme (it too has 45W TDP).

MovieCutter
Compared to the current base model, the new Mac Pro will be tremendously faster if it becomes all 8-core models.

Assuming you and the apps you use can actually USE all 8 cores.

Marx55
Jan 7, 2008, 01:25 PM
Bring a full Mac OS X 10.5.1 handheld (pocket-size) computer. Full-quality video out, both wired and wireless. The ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation remote.

Bring also a mid-range mini-tower, new mini or whatever that is SILENT (if possible, no fans). Bring quad-core mobile to it. Bring FireWire 800 (at least two ports) to it. Bring FireWire S3200 (FireWire 3200 or FireWire d) to it when available.

noodle654
Jan 7, 2008, 01:27 PM
Sick, can't wait to get a hold of my MBP

IEatApples
Jan 7, 2008, 01:28 PM
Apple has been stretching the updates somewhat I think 180-210 days is going to be more come for iMac updates. That's 6-7 months.

1st. Mac Pro
2nd. MacBook Pro
3rd. iMac
4th. MacBookAgreed, but with the problems the iMac screens are having, I think they're gonna make some changes to it, and when there's Penryn updates available as well… then why not? (Yea, I'm waiting to buy a new iMac! :p)

MrCrowbar
Jan 7, 2008, 01:29 PM
Yes, the current and past models use(d) fans:

http://www.kodawarisan.com/imac_2007_mid/DSC_3824.jpg

The fans are usually running slow and more quiet than the hard drive so you don't hear them. Do a hardware Test (On the OSX disc) to hear the fans go 100%. When I did that on my Core Duo iMac, it sounded like two hair driers and it scared the hell out of me because it was so loud and I though it was going to lift off like a helicopter.

iSee
Jan 7, 2008, 01:31 PM
...Can't wait for this new machine. It will cut my time in half even more.

LOL, more-like darth-yogi-berra...

RAMd®d
Jan 7, 2008, 01:31 PM
It's there least selling machine. Always has been. I'd say it has less priority, especially over laptops.

Their least selling, maybe. Historically, it makes more profit for Apple than other Macs. It's sales lagged awhile back because Adobe was slow to make CS3 UB. Mac Pro sales have skyrocketed, and Adobe may be part of that reason.

Less priority, no. It's been a *long* time since it's been updated. If there's a new MP at MW, it will sell well. And it would be nice if Apple had a couple of *capable* video cards available. Where/what is the priority for "new" laptops? A little speed bump, *maybe* a "better" graphics card, an option for a bigger HD?

We may see more LED screens, the rumored sub-notebook... But where is the market *need* (or desire, even) for a slightly improved 'Book?

Personally, I'd *like* to see a 12" sub-notebook, in an aluminum skin. MB class most likely, not MBP. But I'd probably settle for a mini-MB if it's 12" or less. I don't carry a 'Book enough to want a 13.3" "sub" notebook.

I'd also like to see a smaller tower. Even something the size of my MDD would be an improvement over the Monolith. I've wanted a Cube II, but would settle for a smaller Mac Pro. The current one is just a little large for a music server and email station. Something just big enough for a real, upgradeable video card, two HDs, and one optical drive. I'd prefer a slot drive, myself. A fan is acceptable.

And yes, minis and iMacs have fans. The G5 didn't have a blower. It had noisy fans that didn't seem to move much air but manage to annoy. I still have mine. At least I will until MWSF. I don't expect it to be upgraded, but it would be foolish not to wait.

An iPhone on steroids would be nice. Actually, I'd like something similar but with the option of no phone, just Edge/3G, with a Data Only plan. That would be great. One for the shirt pocket, one for the jacket pocket.

Oh, and a beefed up ATV would be nice.

Anyway, I can't wait until Tuesday after next!

Pressure
Jan 7, 2008, 01:36 PM

Easily, Motion would lick itself to bits if it knew... :D

Not to mention rendering time will be cut in half.

FunkyELF
Jan 7, 2008, 01:37 PM
Read "The Future of Linux with Intel Core 2 “Penryn” and SSE4" section at ...
http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.php?story=07/11/15/2015212

It gives some insight into what sse4 really offers. Developers aren't too excited about it since it can only be used in some occasions and even then you could have used 2 SSE3 instructions.

Apple uses GCC and they interview some GCC developers, so you guys might be interested.

LeChuck
Jan 7, 2008, 01:45 PM
LED screens might be enough of a reason for an upgrade of the whole laptop line. There was quite a bit of noise around it when it came out for the Macbook Pro, and Apple could then tout the fact that all of their laptops are now friendly to the environment.

This is a bit of wishful thinking on my part since I have been saving up for a Macbook (not a pro) and I am just waiting to see what comes out next week. And there were some news a few months ago about 13" LED backlit screens being ordered by Apple if I remember correctly. If on top of that they get new processors then all the better! I'm just thinking there are enough reasons to actualize the whole range. Now, how about a real graphics card on the Macbooks :)

YoungCreative
Jan 7, 2008, 01:59 PM

I remember friends asking me why I was "wasting my money" on a 2400 baud modem when everyone else was only running 300, or 1200 at the most.

I also remember a store clerk maintaining that I was "wasting my money" on adding 32MB of RAM. He claimed it was overkill.

I have no doubt that we will find ways to use all 8 cores. Dish 'em up, Apple!:D

ktlx
Jan 7, 2008, 02:04 PM
Things are also looking very good for an all-quad Mac Pro lineup.
Intel has announced twelve Xeon 5400 series processors and all of them are quad core. I wouldn't expect Apple to use the 5200 series since there wouldn't be much jump over their existing 5300 series. I also wouldn't expect Apple to use the 3000 series either, since those are single socket and would be a step back.

I would be very surprised to see Apple announce anything but an all dual socket/quad core (eight cores total) Mac Pro lineup. I think Apple didn't announce new Mac Pros earlier because neither the 8800GT nor the Radeon HD 3870 were available in quantity until right before Christmas.

Tattoo
Jan 7, 2008, 02:10 PM

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/TATTOO_WOW/id.jpg

BklynKid
So hopefully we'll be getting new MBP's with Penryn and a 10.5 update which implements SSE4 for both MBP and Mac Pro's. :)

Yes please! :)

(I've been holding off on a MBP since October, for this)

Digital Skunk
Mac Book Pro 17" with Dual 2.8GHz Processors, new GFX card, dual HDDs, SSD options, built-in Sprint Mobile Broadband, and no corny MacBook keyboard here I come :)

okay... maybe I am dreaming a bit.

Digital Skunk
Jan 7, 2008, 02:15 PM
Their least selling, maybe. Historically, it makes more profit for Apple than other Macs. It's sales lagged awhile back because Adobe was slow to make CS3 UB. Mac Pro sales have skyrocketed, and Adobe may be part of that reason.

Less priority, no. It's been a *long* time since it's been updated. If there's a new MP at MW, it will sell well. And it would be nice if Apple had a couple of *capable* video cards available. Where/what is the priority for "new" laptops? A little speed bump, *maybe* a "better" graphics card, an option for a bigger HD?

We may see more LED screens, the rumored sub-notebook... But where is the market *need* (or desire, even) for a slightly improved 'Book?

Personally, I'd *like* to see a 12" sub-notebook, in an aluminum skin. MB class most likely, not MBP. But I'd probably settle for a mini-MB if it's 12" or less. I don't carry a 'Book enough to want a 13.3" "sub" notebook.

I'd also like to see a smaller tower. Even something the size of my MDD would be an improvement over the Monolith. I've wanted a Cube II, but would settle for a smaller Mac Pro. The current one is just a little large for a music server and email station. Something just big enough for a real, upgradeable video card, two HDs, and one optical drive. I'd prefer a slot drive, myself. A fan is acceptable.

And yes, minis and iMacs have fans. The G5 didn't have a blower. It had noisy fans that didn't seem to move much air but manage to annoy. I still have mine. At least I will until MWSF. I don't expect it to be upgraded, but it would be foolish not to wait.

An iPhone on steroids would be nice. Actually, I'd like something similar but with the option of no phone, just Edge/3G, with a Data Only plan. That would be great. One for the shirt pocket, one for the jacket pocket.

Oh, and a beefed up ATV would be nice.

Anyway, I can't wait until Tuesday after next!

Everything you just said is exactly what I want... except give me the beefed up iPhone and make it run on the Sprint network instead of AT&T.

nagromme
Jan 7, 2008, 02:15 PM
Steve Jobs' ancient "3GHz promise" is pretty well in perspective now :)

uNext
Jan 7, 2008, 02:18 PM
I think that corny keyboard will make its way to the macbook pro.

We do need dedictaed keys for spaces etc.

I have a feeling will dissapoint me again 2 years in a row.

Tattoo
Jan 7, 2008, 02:20 PM

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/TATTOO_WOW/jobs3GHz.jpg

Tattoo
Jan 7, 2008, 02:21 PM
I think that corny keyboard will make its way to the macbook pro.

I have a feeling will dissapoint me again 2 years in a row.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/TATTOO_WOW/does-this-belong-to-you-apple.jpg

nagromme
Jan 7, 2008, 02:23 PM

Those two "unused" keys in the middle of the new F row should be Spaces and Show Desktop. Oh well, I'll use them that way, whether labeled or not :)

(I don't much care about having F keys for instant screen mirroring or keyboard backlight adjustment. Add a Shift or Control or Option to achieve those shortcuts. They're just not something I use constantly.)

MovieCutter
Jan 7, 2008, 02:33 PM
Easily, Motion would lick itself to bits if it knew... :D

Not to mention rendering time will be cut in half.

Does Motion even see 4 cores right now? I thought it was only dual core aware. I know AE would eat up as much as it could.

MacCheetah3
Jan 7, 2008, 02:47 PM
Hi
Dude, you need a girlfriend :) That's funny
Agreed. :D

It does use blowers. Blowers are much more space saving and efficient than a traditional fan design.

i can almost guarantee we won't see 8-16GB of Ram in 2009 (400-800% increase in a year)

You mean 200-400% increase for [maximum] RAM and 150% increase for [maximum] HDD. You apparently haven't seen the 500GB 2.5" drive announcement. Although, as usual, they are 12mm and not the 9.5mm. Therefore, it could only be used in the 17" MBP and possibly the 17" PB.

The fans are usually running slow and more quiet than the hard drive so you don't hear them. Do a hardware Test (On the OSX disc) to hear the fans go 100%. When I did that on my Core Duo iMac, it sounded like two hair driers and it scared the hell out of me because it was so loud and I though it was going to lift off like a helicopter.
Correct. Apple's heat control is based on both components and both of those components need to be present to operate properly. There is the hardware TAU ( thermal assist unit ) on the logic board and a core OS process that monitors and controls -- really does all of the work. When booted from the installation disc, that OS process and files do not exist. The TAU isn't able to properly monitor sensors and so it places all blowers / fans into "deafening" mode to prevent possible overheating.

Tattoo
Jan 7, 2008, 02:51 PM
[Easily, Motion would lick itself to bits if it knew... :D]

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/TATTOO_WOW/lick.gifhttp://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/TATTOO_WOW/features_icon_finalcutpro200704141.png

MIDI_EVIL
Jan 7, 2008, 02:59 PM
If the next revision of the MacBook Pro has a user-upgradeable HD like the MacBook, i'm on it like ***** to a blanket.

Digital Skunk
Jan 7, 2008, 03:03 PM
Does Motion even see 4 cores right now? I thought it was only dual core aware. I know AE would eat up as much as it could.

Nope Motion does not see even 4 cores. Motion actually relies heavily on the GFX card and RAM, not the processor. AE and most Adobe apps are core aware though, as are the other FCS2 apps.

centauratlas
Jan 7, 2008, 03:07 PM
I think that it would be interesting for the Buyer's Guide to ALSO track Intel processor upgrades so that one can track correlations between Apple updates and Intel updates. ;-)

Apple will no doubt continue to do mid-cycle updates with things like hard disk changes, and (sometimes) memory bumps, but the big changes that accompany processor upgrades will obviously track Intel's releases.

1st. Mac Pro
2nd. MacBook Pro
3rd. iMac
4th. MacBook

centauratlas
Jan 7, 2008, 03:10 PM
The 750GB drives are already available on the Apple store and my 2.5 dual G5 has 2 1TB (really about 920GB) drives in it that I replaced older ones with. This is a ~4 year old machine and it is going to be replaced soon. ;-) (Obviously talking desk top, not portable ;-).) Portable 750GB would be great too!

So, it would not surprise me to have a 1TB drive BTO option.

waynesun
Jan 7, 2008, 03:10 PM
sit tight... here they come!

centauratlas
Jan 7, 2008, 03:12 PM
That is great! ;-)
I remember the sales clerk telling my parents the extra 16K RAM card on the "new Apple ][ plus" wasn't really necessary and that for all the applications 48K was more than enough. 64K was overkill. Lol. :D

I remember friends asking me why I was "wasting my money" on a 2400 baud modem when everyone else was only running 300, or 1200 at the most.

I also remember a store clerk maintaining that I was "wasting my money" on adding 32MB of RAM. He claimed it was overkill.

I have no doubt that we will find ways to use all 8 cores. Dish 'em up, Apple!:D

MvdM
Jan 7, 2008, 03:15 PM
"If you look at raw power from Merom to Penryn, the performance gain isn't going to be huge," says Intel spokesperson Connie Brown. "If it's something that relies on SSE4 instruction set, it's in the double digits."

It's in the double digits? Am I the only one who doesn't know what this means?

Digital Skunk
Jan 7, 2008, 03:20 PM
The 750GB drives are already available on the Apple store and my 2.5 dual G5 has 2 1TB (really about 920GB) drives in it that I replaced older ones with. This is a ~4 year old machine and it is going to be replaced soon. ;-)

I think he/she was talking about laptop drives. The biggest we get currently is 320GB spinning at 5400 rpm. 500GB is coming soon but still at 5400 rpm so I don't care. I want that 320+ GB 7200 rpm drive.

echoout
Jan 7, 2008, 03:25 PM
I assumed it meant the operations that DO benefit (like certain types of video encoding for instance) would improve at least 10%. No?

"If you look at raw power from Merom to Penryn, the performance gain isn't going to be huge," says Intel spokesperson Connie Brown. "If it's something that relies on SSE4 instruction set, it's in the double digits."

Brianstorm91
Jan 7, 2008, 03:47 PM
I still remember Multimedia's table.

Multimedia must be having a frenzy at the moment so close to MacWorld!

Smurfed
Jan 7, 2008, 04:15 PM
My predictions are:
1. New Mac Pros, as stated, they've been needing an update for a while, so that is extremely likely, particularly in light of today's news.
2. Maybe the "thin-book," if so, then Mac Book Pros will be at least Spring. If no thin-book, then I also think that the MB Pros won't be shipping until Feb/March/April with these chips. I don't think they'll be announced before they can be shipped shortly thereafter.
3. iMacs - not until Spring.
4. Apple has also used unannounced Intel product numbers before, so there is always the chance that will happen here.

Apple rarely (if ever) has updated everything at once - and for several reasons (good ones, I think): 1. If supplies are constrained on chips, then they are still selling the 'older' models instead of nothing, 2. If there are problems with chips, motherboards or other components that they find later, everything is not depend it, 3. If there are multiple unknown OS incompatibilities that are only discovered during use, they are dealing with a smaller subset of machines in need of updates.

Regarding shipping this is what Intel says, in part:
Dual core desktop processor-based PCs using these new processors begin shipping this month; quad core-based systems plan to arrive later this quarter.

The company also introduced four Intel Xeon processors for servers and workstations; they are expected to ship this quarter.
(http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20080107comp.htm?iid=pr1_releasepri_20080107m)

I dont think they'll put off Macbook Pro's til Spring, because they've always refreshed every 6 months, they'll be one of the last companies to still be on Santa Rosa, and College kids need it for the upcomming Semester.

calabi
Jan 7, 2008, 04:15 PM
am i right in saying that the new macbook pro's if they adopt these new processors will we have quad core macbook pro's? or am i getting confused!

Cousin Dirk
Jan 7, 2008, 04:21 PM
Well, I'd hope this is soon enough for an "available January, ships in February" for the MacBook Pro.

I've decided that my last-generation PowerBook, with its single core 1.67GHz processor, is not quite up to what I try to use it for (Photoshop and video-editing), and I maybe shouldn't have bought it and waited a few months instead for the MacBook Pro to bed in. So, it's time to get the best 15" MacBook Pro I can get and hope that Intel don't make too big a leap in processor technology in the next 5 years.

LorenK
Jan 7, 2008, 04:27 PM
Speed perspective - eventually software gets optimized for the processor, so even if it seems like nothing will make use of a quad core now, they will soon. I am of the school that says buy it fast with every bell and whistle you can now and wait until it performs like its slogging through mud to get a new one. My iMac knows mud, time for a Mac Pro and watch the mud fly.:)

nnkd
Jan 7, 2008, 04:28 PM
Okay, I'll be honest, I don't know much about all this microchip stuff. I've taught myself the basics with a lot of help from people posting on this website and Wikipedia's many, many links to Intel microchip sets. I also know little about Apple's updating frequencies and it's screwed me many-a-time in the past (both with iPods and computers).

From what I've read Apple has access to these Penryn processor chips right now. However, these Montevina chips come out in Q2 (so I'm guessing that's May/June or around then).

So, my question is this: IF they were to put these penryn chips in the MBPs (at Macworld or shortly after), what is the chance that they upgrade the MBPs again in the Spring (or whenever Q2 is) with Montevina chips.

To me, that seems like a lot of updates in a short duration of time but I don't really know the frequency of the MBP upgrades other than the average
is 186 days (thank you Buyer's Guide!).

Any opinions, answers, or "just chill out and wait" comments are appreciated.

koobcamuk
Jan 7, 2008, 04:40 PM
If the next revision of the MacBook Pro has a user-upgradeable HD like the MacBook, i'm on it like ***** to a blanket.

get a new blanket first.

Pressure
Jan 7, 2008, 04:40 PM

Sure, it can even use networked processor power through Xsan as well. Saw this live when they introduced Final Cut Studio 2.

One were showcasing it on one 8-core Mac Pro, while the other used two 4-core Mac Pro's in tandem.

ezekielrage_99
Jan 7, 2008, 04:52 PM
So it looks like Penryns for the Mac Pro, iMac and Macbook Pro come macworld. Personally I'm not surprise Intel has been hinting on a January 08 release for the Penryns and it's been 160+ days since most hardware updates.

Brianstorm91
Jan 7, 2008, 05:01 PM
So, my question is this: IF they were to put these penryn chips in the MBPs (at Macworld or shortly after), what is the chance that they upgrade the MBPs again in the Spring (or whenever Q2 is) with Montevina chips.

Maybe Autumn time, somewhat in-line with when the MacBook was updated a couple of months ago?

Towhead
Jan 7, 2008, 05:09 PM
That is great! ;-)
I remember the sales clerk telling my parents the extra 16K RAM card on the "new Apple ][ plus" wasn't really necessary and that for all the applications 48K was more than enough. 64K was overkill. Lol. :D

64K was required to use Pascal, remember? Called it the "Language Card." Basically had to bankswitch 16K so it had its limited use but yuppers, it was 16K you could stuff a driver into.

On that note, remember ProDOS that came out in about 1983 and it had long case sensitive file names, a binary-tree file system, etc, and all those neat things? That too used the Language Card if available leaving the lower 48K for a massive amount of free space. Even then, in 1983, Apple was decades ahead of the rest of the world. It still is.

joefinan
Jan 7, 2008, 05:35 PM

[/SARCASM]

Is being a member for 2.5 years still being a newbie??

scrambledwonder
Jan 7, 2008, 05:35 PM
The MBP is due for a revision? Man, seems like i just got my 2.4 MBP. Anyway, prolly won't upgrade for another year or so. This thing is wicked fast.

taintedwheat
Jan 7, 2008, 05:50 PM
You mean 200-400% increase for [maximum] RAM and 150% increase for [maximum] HDD. You apparently haven't seen the 500GB 2.5" drive announcement. Although, as usual, they are 12mm and not the 9.5mm. Therefore, it could only be used in the 17" MBP and possibly the 17" PB.

Actually, Samsung annouced a standard height (9.5mm) 2.5" 500gb HDD at CES ;)

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/06/samsung-intros-spinpoint-m6-500gb-standard-height-laptop-drive/

Wild-Bill
Jan 7, 2008, 05:51 PM
What about the iMacs? so when will we see an updated iMac? It has been 155 days since the last update.

:rolleyes: Oh no... 155 days. Try over 500 for the Mac Pro. The iMac should be at the back of the line.

tbobmccoy
Jan 7, 2008, 05:57 PM
:rolleyes: Oh no... 155 days. Try over 500 for the Mac Pro. The iMac should be at the back of the line.

I'm actually betting the iMac'll be first to get the Penryn Mobile chips... they're the easiest form factor to cool the furnace those things can produce. But... leave it to Apple to cool things more efficiently.. :apple:

Also... just because you're a "newbie" on the forum doesn't mean you haven't been around the block for a while. Some people on these forums are so elitist...

fivepoint
Jan 7, 2008, 06:01 PM

Your argument would be more effective if you used real numbers.
The Mac Pro was last updated 279 days ago... not 500.

That being said, I do agree that the Mac Pro should come next... I want you to get your update, why don't you want me to get mine?

capitanbuzo
Jan 7, 2008, 06:10 PM

That being said, I do agree that the Mac Pro should come next... I want you to get your update, why don't you want me to get mine?

Apple added the 3.0ghz 8 core bto. I wouldn't really consider that an update. Mabey if it incorporated more graphics cards and such but not on its own.

Wild-Bill
Jan 7, 2008, 06:13 PM

Um, no. You are wrong. I am sure many, many others will be along shortly to further enlighten you about this fact.

zedsdead
Jan 7, 2008, 06:28 PM
Um, no. You are wrong. I am sure many, many others will be along shortly to further enlighten you about this fact.

Apple only added the 8-Core option on this date and left the entire Mac Pro untouched. It HAS NOT been updated. Because of this I am expecting a decent overhaul and new Cinema Displays.

As for the iMac...it is the least liekly to see an update in their entire line...I'd expect not until the Summer...you never know of course, but don't expect it soon or you probably will be disappointed.

bubble27
Jan 7, 2008, 06:38 PM
Wake me up when my long wait (haven't purchased a new computer since 2003) has been worth it. I'm holding off until montevina because of principle. I didn't buy last year at this time because i was waiting for SR, when it came I decided to wait for penryn etc...now, since I could have bought back then and not even noticed a difference with the next upgrade, I continue my wait.

Hey im with you on that and it seems like you know what your talking about. But can i ask why not wait till laptops become quad-core? Read up that they'll appear end of the 2nd half of 2008.

Btw im dead broke, being a student and all and really want to invest in a MBP when i know that i'll keep it for at least 2-3years. You think Montevina will be worth the wait?

P.S. Im waiting for MBP17" to hopefully get blu-ray and better GPUs :rolleyes:

SimonTheSoundMa
Jan 7, 2008, 06:42 PM
Sure, it can even use networked processor power through Xsan as well. Saw this live when they introduced Final Cut Studio 2.

One were showcasing it on one 8-core Mac Pro, while the other used two 4-core Mac Pro's in tandem.
Just use Qmaster. We have fourteen four cores and eight quad cores networked for video and also help running Logic in the sound studios a good 50m way. Enough processing power for several people to be working on 4k HD material.

Lefteous
Jan 7, 2008, 06:56 PM
It's not a simple processor upgrade what could make the Mac Pro faster. Sure the new Intel processors feature SSE4 which allows adapted software to run certain operations faster but that doesn't make these processors specialized hardware.
As Apple put their shirt on h.264/mpeg-4 AVC hardware encoding in Mac Pros and hardware decoding in all Macs would be a real speed boost and something that most PCs doesn't have.

MrCrowbar
Jan 7, 2008, 07:08 PM
It's not a simple processor upgrade what could make the Mac Pro faster. Sure the new Intel processors feature SSE4 which allows adapted software to run certain operations faster but that doesn't make these processors specialized hardware.
As Apple put their shirt on h.264/mpeg-4 AVC hardware encoding in Mac Pros and hardware decoding in all Macs would be a real speed boost and something that most PCs doesn't have.

True. Video encoding (and realtime multitrack audio) are the only things I wish for some performance boost. An H.264 encoder would be nice. I tried the ELgato Turbo, but it doesn't do high def and only does 1 pass encoding. Nice for getting your stuff on your iPod quickly, but it doesn't look great for bigger files. Maybe SSE4 for Quicktime (and x264) would make it faster?

paja
Jan 7, 2008, 07:14 PM
I believe there will be Mac Pro and Xserve updates this week. Perhaps as soon as tomorrow. Long, long overdue.:)

MacWorld is for the consumer. I'm not getting too excited about it. I've learned my lesson from years past.:(

Apple has 10 billion in the bank. You'd think they could hire a few more programmers and engineers.:rolleyes:

vixapphire
Jan 7, 2008, 07:15 PM
2.6ghz on a 17" high res with 4gig and 200 gig 7200 rpm is already pretty dang sweet.

don't rub it in...

MrCrowbar
Jan 7, 2008, 07:24 PM
I assumed it meant the operations that DO benefit (like certain types of video encoding for instance) would improve at least 10%. No?

Could also be a speed boost by multiples, i.e. 10 times faster. If you implement something in the CPU that used to be done in software in a very complicated way, it's very possible to get serious speed boosts like that.

etrigan63
Jan 7, 2008, 07:30 PM

Asus just announced at CES a laptop with 1 TB of disk storage. Never say never.

Mac Pro's are due. Despite the fact that they move fewer of those units than all the others, they are higher margin products. Apple does not want to alienate it's professional customers.

The Intel announcements include Xeons that are not destined for Mac Pros. Those were announced November 12. As I predicted the iMac processors were announced and are due 2H 08. Expect more details next week from the House of Jobs.

The major thrust of Penryn was the shift to 45nm and the greening of the CPU. No lead, hi-K dielectrics, and lower voltages all contribute to a significant reduction in power consumption without sacrificing performance.

Stridder44
Jan 7, 2008, 07:35 PM
People get too caught up in the hype. a year ago penryn seemed like this amazing progression with evolutionary performance gain. Not true. I doubt any casual user would notice the difference between a penryn mobile processor and any 2.0 ghz core 2 duo.

you wait when you shouldn't, then end up waiting so that you feel the wait was worth it...and it never is. Anyway, the benchmarks shall tell the story.

Exactly. I think I win that award here. I'm still on my CUTTING EDGE G4 running at a nut-smashingly fast 800Mhz. Sometimes I think about this MASSIVE 80GB HD and almost crap myself.

/Can't wait for the new MBP's

AidenShaw
Jan 7, 2008, 07:40 PM
...my 2.5 dual G5 has 2 1TB (really about 920GB)...

No, they're really 1 TB drives.

The Apple OS incorrectly reports them as 920 "GB", when they are in fact about 920 "GiB".

For more info on the correct usage of "Tera", "Giga" and "Mega", check out:

(US) National Institute of Standards and Technology: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/11/08/i_say_petabyte_you_say/

BowZinger
Jan 7, 2008, 07:45 PM
I will hold out for a quad core macbookpro if it ever happens!

Stridder44
Jan 7, 2008, 07:47 PM
Where/what is the priority for "new" laptops? A little speed bump, *maybe* a "better" graphics card, an option for a bigger HD?

Um, have you been reading the millions of posts saying "can't wait for the new MBP's", "Got $2k ready for departure on a MBP", "(insert 'I'm waiting' quote here)"?

Seriously doubt it.

Don't hold your breath.

vixapphire
Jan 7, 2008, 07:59 PM

i'm guessing it means a 10-99% speed improvement.

MrCrowbar
Jan 7, 2008, 08:11 PM
who wants to play?

http://media.arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.media/mwsf-2008-bingo.pnghttp://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2008/01/06/mwsf-2008-keynote-bingo

Stella
Jan 7, 2008, 08:15 PM
I believe there will be Mac Pro and Xserve updates this week. Perhaps as soon as tomorrow. Long, long overdue.:)

MacWorld is for the consumer. I'm not getting too excited about it. I've learned my lesson from years past.:(

Apple have announced Pro machines in MWSF before, just like they've also announced consumer machines at the Dev conference.

wildwobby
Jan 7, 2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah,
I'm Really hoping for a MacBook Pro with penryn.

Analysis here: http://wildwobby.com/?p=16

STRIPEHOUSE
Jan 7, 2008, 08:31 PM
Mac pro is a must even if they don't make a huge deal at mw.
Although I think a new insides, shell, blu-ray and cinema displays will make a great segment.

Tons of iPhone stats SDK sales etc.
leopard stats top seller blah blah. Perhaps a 10.5.2 update?
Please update Aperture!
Please update DVDStudio Pro!!? Blu-ray authoring?
iTunes rental obviously
MBP update. May have to add one of both pro lines to my studio.
Personally I don't care about an ultra portable but I'm guessing its the one more thing.

Looking forward to any surprise. Much more possible than last year.

CWallace
Jan 7, 2008, 08:55 PM
From what I've read Apple has access to these Penryn processor chips right now. However, these Montevina chips come out in Q2 (so I'm guessing that's May/June or around then).

Apple might launch MacBook Pros with Mobile Penryn CPUs to support a Mac Pro with Xeon Penryn launch. Then they could wait until next year to put the Montevina in the entire consumer line (MacBook Pro, MacBook and iMac).

CWallace
Jan 7, 2008, 08:55 PM
who wants to play?

http://media.arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.media/mwsf-2008-bingo.pnghttp://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2008/01/06/mwsf-2008-keynote-bingo

*snarf*

Very witty.

bmb012
Jan 7, 2008, 09:00 PM
What I wanna know is can I pop these new processors into my 2.6 ghz Mac Pro?

zoozx
Jan 7, 2008, 09:03 PM
Mac Pro has to be a new revolutionary machine with new enclosure and better be announced next week!
It has been stagnant for a couple of years now.

Roller
Jan 7, 2008, 09:22 PM
Please update Aperture!

If this is going to happen, it'll more likely be at PMA 2008, which is just two weeks after the Macworld Expo. Apple will be there.

MattInOz
Jan 7, 2008, 09:44 PM
Apple has 10 billion in the bank. You'd think they could hire a few more programmers and engineers.:rolleyes:

They run out space at on the infinite loop, shoehorning can't get any more people in. As it is 5% of the staff work in the park and get rainy days off work.

Steve takes private calls in the bathroom as there is 9 other people working in his office, and Disney doesn't let him use the Pixar office just to get away from the ramble. :)

mciarlo
Jan 7, 2008, 09:45 PM
I really hope any MacBook Pro updates are live the same day (or at least available the start of February). I'm going to begin school at the end of January as a design major and need a new laptop.

I will definitely have buyers remorse if I end up having to buy a MBP that will be outdated soon.

!¡ V ¡!
Jan 7, 2008, 09:46 PM
My prediction:

whatever comes out of Steve Jobs mouth, and you can bank on this prediction. ;):eek::D:p

Mr Maui
Jan 7, 2008, 09:48 PM

Personally, I'll take 8 cores over 3Ghz any day.

Dang, it's been a long time between posts. (see signature and avatar ... LOL) :eek:

I've crawled out of hibernation just in time for a Penryn upgrade.

The 750GB drives are already available on the Apple store and my 2.5 dual G5 has 2 1TB (really about 920GB) drives in it that I replaced older ones with. This is a ~4 year old machine and it is going to be replaced soon. ;-) (Obviously talking desk top, not portable ;-).) Portable 750GB would be great too!

I believe the original post read 8-16 GB RAM and 750 GB for his MBP (MacBookPro). He was dreaming just a weeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit. :D

akadmon
Jan 7, 2008, 10:34 PM

Admit it, you're just jealous! :p

Yeah, I'm basically one of those people. Perhaps an iMac/Macbook can do all I normally use my Mac Pro for, but I sure enjoy the speed and the hd real estate. It's nice to be able to keep 20 different apps (plus several more inside a Fusion VM) running all the time without seeing beachballs :D

etrigan63
Jan 7, 2008, 11:03 PM
Admit it, you're just jealous! :p

Yeah, I'm basically one of those people. Perhaps an iMac/Macbook can do all I normally use my Mac Pro for, but I sure enjoy the speed and the hd real estate. It's nice to be able to keep 20 different apps (plus several more inside a Fusion VM) running all the time without seeing beachballs :D

As my dad used to say: "It is better to have and not need, than to need and not have."

I don't need the top end 8-core machine, a 2.6-2.8GHz one would be plenty fine.

SheriffParker
Jan 7, 2008, 11:11 PM
OMG I can't stand it! I want a Penryn Puter so bad!

bigwig
Jan 7, 2008, 11:36 PM
Mobile Penryns are nice, but don't really excite me. They are at heart just a die shrink, the core of the machine is basically the same. The real fun, and what I'm waiting for, is Nehalem. If Intel isn't overselling it Nehalem should be much more than a few % bump in performance.

Breckenridge
Jan 7, 2008, 11:55 PM
I find myself buying a new mac twice as often as I did when PPC was the processor of choice. Switching to intel not only added speed to the mac but the rapid processor production from intel has probably increased Apple's sales volume drastically. I'm going to have some self-control this time and wait for my newest machine to age a little.

Lone Deranger
Jan 8, 2008, 12:13 AM
A die shrink is more than just a speed increase. They'll be able to fit more cpu's on a single wafer, which means (or should mean) lower prices.
It also means less power consumption and less heat generated. Who wouldn't want a cooler and quieter running MBP... :)

Mobile Penryns are nice, but don't really excite me. They are at heart just a die shrink, the core of the machine is basically the same. The real fun, and what I'm waiting for, is Nehalem. If Intel isn't overselling it Nehalem should be much more than a few % bump in performance.

gfair
Jan 8, 2008, 02:01 AM

Lol... the classic sign of the delusional rumor junkie. Absolutely no evidence and he's convinced based on the rumors.

Wait to see what Apple comes out with. Don't set false expectations. Don't believe rumor website hype. Be reasonable.

JohnHawkins
Jan 8, 2008, 02:42 AM
So I'm pretty sure now we'll see new MBP's next week with this new processor. The MB's and ultrathin MB will probably continue to use the older chipset.

Excited for next week!

unlikely

Norco
Jan 8, 2008, 03:15 AM
It wouldn't even be the end of the world for me if they didn't release a new shell/look to the Mac Pro, as I think the case still looks rather cool, just update the important stuff to blazing speeds and then we'll be talkin!

aswitcher
Jan 8, 2008, 03:29 AM

I really hope so! Please let them get it right.

who wants to play?

http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2008/01/06/mwsf-2008-keynote-bingo

Someone needs to make that an iphone/touch website page!

Jarra
Jan 8, 2008, 03:38 AM
Seeing as I am switching to mac in the next few months for the first time, and from a 1.4GHz Acer which I have used for 4 years, I expect to be a little impressed!

imac or macbook is th only question...:D

bigwig
Jan 8, 2008, 04:23 AM
A die shrink is more than just a speed increase. They'll be able to fit more cpu's on a single wafer, which means (or should mean) lower prices.
It also means less power consumption and less heat generated. Who wouldn't want a cooler and quieter running MBP... :)
I didn't mean to say a die shrink was worthless, just that it doesn't offer nearly the performance bump a new architecture does. The elimination of the FSB in Nehalem removes one of the last performance advantages AMD had over Intel. It will be interesting to see if Nehalem delivers the goods. Hyperthreading was pretty much a strikeout when last we saw it and Intel isn't exactly clear on why it will be better in Nehalem.

jtlz2
Jan 8, 2008, 04:56 AM
SSE4 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE4

Does anyone (think they) have any hard facts on existing or planned support for/implementation of SSE4 under Leopard? References please :)

Glueeater
Jan 8, 2008, 05:13 AM
Does anyone (think they) have any hard facts on existing or planned support for/implementation of SSE4 under Leopard? References please :)

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/28/intel-updates-mac-os-x-development-tools-with-penryn-support/

Facts...?

isgoed
Jan 8, 2008, 06:53 AM
Uhm.... applestore is down.

Is this just maintance or what?

It is a tuesday though.

I didn't want to make a new thread for this, so I just post it here.

edit: ok somebody else aleady made a thread. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=410699)

Pressure
Jan 8, 2008, 06:59 AM
I didn't mean to say a die shrink was worthless, just that it doesn't offer nearly the performance bump a new architecture does. The elimination of the FSB in Nehalem removes one of the last performance advantages AMD had over Intel. It will be interesting to see if Nehalem delivers the goods. Hyperthreading was pretty much a strikeout when last we saw it and Intel isn't exactly clear on why it will be better in Nehalem.

HyperThreading worked wonders for multithreaded environments (read, not as much in games).

And I have to ask myself, what performance advantage? Sure, back when the K8 came to be they were very well ahead for a while. Even with an off-die memory controller Intel is doing better, as it stands right now. When it gets on-die there really isn't much to say about AMD other than they are once more going to sell bargain bin chips.

diamond.g
Jan 8, 2008, 07:03 AM
As Apple put their shirt on h.264/mpeg-4 AVC hardware encoding in Mac Pros and hardware decoding in all Macs would be a real speed boost and something that most PCs doesn't have. Most GPU's can do decoding of most video codecs, lightening the load on the CPU.

True. Video encoding (and realtime multitrack audio) are the only things I wish for some performance boost. An H.264 encoder would be nice. I tried the ELgato Turbo, but it doesn't do high def and only does 1 pass encoding. Nice for getting your stuff on your iPod quickly, but it doesn't look great for bigger files. Maybe SSE4 for Quicktime (and x264) would make it faster? What is sad? Most current Macs have hardware in them that can do the encoding and decoding, yet Apple refuses to leverage it.

Thomas2006
Jan 8, 2008, 10:09 AM
Actually the Quad core mobile Penryns are expected sometimes from June-December of this year. Whether Apple uses them that soon is anyones guess. Thermals from my understanding were hitting 45W TDP which is higher than the 35W TDP Apple currently employs in all consumer Macs (and MBP) but the iMac 2.8 Extreme (it too has 45W TDP).
quad-core Penryn with Santa Rosa platform

iMac - standard:no, BTO: yes, for the 24" and high-end 20"
MacBook Pro - standard:no, BTO: no

quad-core Penryn with Montevina platform

iMac - standard:yes, except for the low-end model
MacBook Pro - standard: no, BTO: yes, wattage permitting

quad-core Nehalem with Montevina platform

iMac - standard:yes, across the board
MacBook Pro - standard: yes, across the board

CWallace
Jan 8, 2008, 10:37 AM
Uhm.... applestore is down.

Is this just maintance or what?

Apple just announced an updated Mac Pro.

MacCheetah3
Jan 8, 2008, 11:07 AM
Hi
Apple just announced an updated Mac Pro.
Nice bump to! Not only new CPUs ( Intel Xeon 5400 series processors @ 2.8, 3.0, and 3.2GHz with 6MB L2 shared per pair of cores ) but it must be a new chipset. 800MHz FB-DIMMs and dual 1.6GHz FSBs, up from 667MHz and dual 1.33GHz. Still nothing of a top gaming GPU for those who were hoping.

Brianstorm91
Jan 8, 2008, 11:23 AM
I believe there will be Mac Pro and Xserve updates this week. Perhaps as soon as tomorrow.

Well here's one happy bunny.

Cousin Dirk
Jan 8, 2008, 11:57 AM
Well, isn't that just the thing?

Now, I need to persuade my boss to part with the £3,000 to buy one.

Also, on a serious note, what are the chances of us getting a quad-core MacBook Pro before the end of the year?

CWallace
Jan 8, 2008, 12:38 PM
Also, on a serious note, what are the chances of us getting a quad-core MacBook Pro before the end of the year?

I would imagine fair-to-middlin, if for no other reason to try and differentiate it better from the MacBook on something other then CPU speed and GPU.

MacCheetah3
Jan 8, 2008, 12:54 PM
Hi
New Xserves as well, also utilizing the 64-bit Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Harpertown” 5400 series processor. This, of course, includes the faster memory and FSBs. Plus, something about PCI-E 2.0.

Cousin Dirk
Jan 8, 2008, 02:18 PM
I would imagine fair-to-middlin, if for no other reason to try and differentiate it better from the MacBook on something other then CPU speed and GPU.
Well damn. I'm rather keen to get myself a MacBook Pro in the nearish future, but then on the other hand I'll know how I feel in 6-9 months when they add two more cores to the MBP and I suddenly feel really out-of-date again.

iW00t
Jan 8, 2008, 04:33 PM
Well damn. I'm rather keen to get myself a MacBook Pro in the nearish future, but then on the other hand I'll know how I feel in 6-9 months when they add two more cores to the MBP and I suddenly feel really out-of-date again.

What will you be using it for?

The quad core chips are not going to run any cooler than the present dual core chips, which means your battery life is going to suffer.

Some things gotta give somehow.

CWallace
Jan 8, 2008, 04:40 PM
The quad core chips are not going to run any cooler than the present dual core chips, which means your battery life is going to suffer.

Especially since at the moment Intel does not offer a mobile quad-core (that I can find on their site). So Apple would have to use the QX9650 desktop chip with a 130W TDP vs. 44W for the X7900 mobile (and yes, I know the X7900 runs slower, but only by .2GHz). That means much bigger (and louder) fan needing more battery power to run.

So if Apple does it, I expect it will only be a BTO option for the 17" MacBook Pro since that machine is large enough to take a bigger battery and larger cooling system. And it's aimed at the upper-end of the market.

Cousin Dirk
Jan 8, 2008, 05:03 PM
What will you be using it for?

Some things gotta give somehow.

Well, Photoshop, Final Cut Express mainly (and knowing my habits both at the same time). That, and I want to attempt to buy a computer that's as future-proof as possible, and that includes avoiding my desires to have the latest Mac :D

CWallace
Jan 8, 2008, 05:22 PM
That, and I want to attempt to buy a computer that's as future-proof as possible...

In such a case, the Mac Pro is the machine you want, honestly.

Cousin Dirk
Jan 9, 2008, 12:29 AM
In such a case, the Mac Pro is the machine you want, honestly.

The problem with that is that I don't have the space in my flat for a desktop, I really need a portable.

CWallace
Jan 9, 2008, 09:17 AM
The problem with that is that I don't have the space in my flat for a desktop, I really need a portable.

Understood. If Apple updates the MacBook Pro in the near-term, MacWorld is the likely place to do it, so I'd wait to see if anything new comes out and. If it does, get it. If it doesn't, then get the current MacBook Pro.