Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
CA
I have a Lombard (also known as the Bronze Keyboard model) G3 PB. I'm running OS 9 right now but I'd like to use OS X on it. The question is, will it be able to run Panther without problems?

Plutoniq

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2003
It seems like Panther will install on the Lombard seeing that it both has built-in USB & utilizes the the NewWorld ROM (Rom into RAM).

I imagine that two issues will be;

-No Graphics Acceleration (Same issue with Jaguar)
-No DVD Player support (Due to Lombards Hardware DVD Decoder being unsupported, even now)

So, no better suppport than what is currently supported by Jaguar (should run quicker though), but still it's most likely meet the criterior to install Panther. I'd max out the RAM to 512mb before using OS X at all on the Lombard, that'll ease the performance hit it will take due to the lack of Altivec, Quartz Extreme Enabled GPU, CPU speed...etc.

p'z

mms

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
CA
I don't mind not having DVD because I have a separate DVD player. But will the lack of graphics acceleration be a problem?

Plutoniq

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2003
Well, a problem for playing Quicktime multimedia files & games......... it may slow down the GUI as well, not sure.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
CA
So without graphics acceleration I won't be able to play videos and games at all? Or will I still be able to, just with worse graphics?

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
The genie effect when you minimize will look choppy, and things like that on your Lombard. Extra RAM can help fix that though. Other than that, Panther runs around the same speed as OS 9 on most G3's, sometimes even faster.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
CA
The genie effect and those other little visual effects could be turned off easily though, right?

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Originally posted by mms
The genie effect and those other little visual effects could be turned off easily though, right?
The genie effect can be turned to the scale effect, and other than that, Panther should run fine on your Lombard.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Everyone thanks for their input. A couple more questions...

How much RAM should I have?

To run Classic, what do I need? OS 9.1 or 9.2.2? I have 9.0 running right now. And do I really need Classic if I have OS X? It should work fine without it so I'm not sure if I should bother with it.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by mms
Everyone thanks for their input. A couple more questions...

How much RAM should I have?

To run Classic, what do I need? OS 9.1 or 9.2.2? I have 9.0 running right now. And do I really need Classic if I have OS X? It should work fine without it so I'm not sure if I should bother with it.

You don't need Classic, and Classic requires 9.2.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by Catfish_Man
You don't need Classic, and Classic requires 9.2.

Actually, Classic only requires 9.1 (same requirement for Panther, AFAIK). But it's probably best to upgrade to 9.2.2 anyway.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Other than more support for OS X, what is different in 9.2.2 from 9.1? And all the updates are free as long as you have 9.0 right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.