PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up Home Internet

cmaracz88
Oct 8, 2003, 09:08 PM
I am using DSL and have two computers in my house. The first is a desktop, and the other is an iBook. Right now my DSL modem is connected to a router which is connected by two ethernet cables to both computers. I would like to connect my iBook using airport but I still need to have the dekstop conencted by ethernet cable.

Can I connect a airport compatible wireless router by line to my current router so I can still use that router to connect the desktop to? That would save me money. Or do I need to buy one of those wirless and four ethernet cable port combo routers?

bbarnhart
Oct 8, 2003, 09:29 PM
This is what you want (http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=76&site=c#overview)

Plug this into your wired router and your iBook can use it to connect to the internet.

MoparShaha
Oct 8, 2003, 10:28 PM
Yeah, just make sure whatever you buy is a Wireless Access Point, not a Wireless Router.

Kwyjibo
Oct 8, 2003, 10:59 PM
i had trouble finding many straight access points at bestbuy ..... so i ended up jsut getting an 802.11g router for like 80 bucks which isn't bad imo ... worse comes to worse u have to get a wifi router and you simply have to replace the current router