Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
MacRumors has reached yet another noteworthy milestone: the 150,000th forum registration.

The rate of new registrations increased dramatically in June 2007 as the release of the iPhone approached and has remained at high levels since then, resulting in an extremely rapid rise in total registrations in recent months.

Dates of previous membership count milestones:
Jul 2002: 10,000 members
Aug 2003: 20,000 members
Feb 2004: 30,000 members
Sep 2004: 40,000 members
Apr 2005: 50,000 members
Oct 2005: 60,000 members
Mar 2006: 70,000 members
Aug 2006: 80,000 members
Nov 2006: 90,000 members
Feb 2007: 100,000 members
Jun 2007: 110,000 members
Aug 2007: 120,000 members
Oct 2007: 130,000 members
Nov 2007: 140,000 members
Jan 2008: 150,000 members

Not all of these members are still active, of course, but it shows that the news, rumors, and discussions at MacRumors have continued to attract a larger and larger audience.

Once again, we thank our members for their participation, and for making MacRumors a primary Internet destination.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Great news :)

Any details possible on members active in the last few months? Not just posts, but activity such as logging in and just viewing?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Looks like the rate of growth has been relatively steady since the iPhone came out with each 10,000 mark taking a couple of months to achieve.

Pretty good going though given that you can browse and search the site without having to register - unlike some. ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Great news :)

Any details possible on members active in the last few months? Not just posts, but activity such as logging in and just viewing?
About 38K members have posted in the past six months, but I don't know how many simply logged in.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
About 38K members have posted in the past six months, but I don't know how many simply logged in.

which means you suck. :p

i'd assume that only the gods could tell, as they can do funny things with SQL. ;)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
This is nice to see - especially that about 25% of those members have actively posted recently, which I imagine is a reasonably good percentage relative to other major forums.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
This is nice to see - especially that about 25% of those members have actively posted recently, which I imagine is a reasonably good percentage relative to other major forums.

MacRumors: All about the retention :)

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I do indeed. :eek:

There must be some way to do it without checking every single profile.

But, if that's what must be done to answer your question, it must be done. :)

Let me be the first to say, why don't we just get the gods to run an SQL query?

Or do you have that much time on your hands to be able to trail through 150,000 accounts to see when they were last on? :p

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

AFAIR Its better than the rate we used to have here.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Now that's what I call dedication. :)

Any idea when you'll be done with this minor task? :p
Depends on how long it takes the code to run.

With MWSF coming up and the load on the servers? Probably March or so.
AFAIR Its better than the rate we used to have here.
I think the fact that we now pay the interesting members to post has really helped a lot.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I think the fact that we now pay the interesting members to post has really helped a lot.
That's definitely one of the reasons I'm still around and posting. :D

Well clearly not all of them, I don't get paid anything :p.
But that's because you're not interesting enough. We have an interesting-o-meter, which, unfortunately, gave you only a 79% rate of interestingness as an average from all your posts. Shame, because the requirement is 97.1%.

:p

Bunch of "mindless drones" if you ask me. :p
now, rdowns, be nice to the mods! ;)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005

I can't answer that question directly with the tools immediately available to me, but I can tell you that we have about 5,000-6,000 registered members visit the forums on an average day.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
When I saw this thread I was expecting to see Doctor Q take the lead on this, I guess he now has apprentices! As for checking "last log in" to get an idea of how many users have logged in in the past X months couldn't you run a script like
from table where last visited date > some date? I guess it all depends on how and where the "last visited" date is stored... it would be interesting!

Depends on how long it takes the code to run.

With MWSF coming up and the load on the servers? Probably March or so.
I assume Mad Jew isn't on the payroll, he'd bankrupt MR in a matter of days. ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
As for checking "last log in" to get an idea of how many users have logged in in the past X months couldn't you run a script like
from table where last visited date > some date? I guess it all depends on how and where the "last visited" date is stored... it would be interesting
Well, yes... if I could access the SQL. I can't. I surf just like any of the rest of the non-admins. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.