Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Amazing -- this forum is now octo-sized compared to when I joined in Sept 2003. I remember it seeming big back then - and being a newcomer. All very interesting indeed.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
big boards only says 149,576 or something kind of weird.

http://www.big-boards.com/board/192/

Different areas of the site keep track of stats different ways. The broadest measure is simply number of registrations...that is charted by following the user numbers present in the URLs for members' profiles. We're up to 150,092 as I type this message.

The front page of the forums lists 149,961 as the number of members, so there is obviously a small number of members who are not included in that total. What the difference results from, I don't know.

Third, there's the Members List, which currently totals 131,692 members. This list is even more selective in what it displays. I know that it does not include banned members, but I'm unsure about who else is omitted from this count.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I will soon run out of graph paper!

Attachments

• 150000 Members.png
    150000 Members.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 68

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I will soon run out of graph paper!
We all love graphs!

Is there a script that will remove users with zero posts if they haven't logged in after a certain time? Is there any problem with leaving so many zero post users around?

I remember signing up for a few forums but never getting around to posting. :eek:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Is there a script that will remove users with zero posts if they haven't logged in after a certain time? Is there any problem with leaving so many zero post users around?
A script could be written, but our policy is to keep no-post memberships as well as inactive memberships. Sometimes they spring back to life, even after years. The disadvantages are minor: first, that they inflate statistics if you treat the total number of members as a reflection of active membership; second, that the user names can't be reused, so new members sometimes have to be more creative or use their second choice. The overhead on the forum system for inactive memberships is trivial, so that's not an issue.

We've had 150,000 people register, and that's what this milestone is about.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I'm kicking myself because I was "Anonymous" for nearly a year before I joined. I wonder how many others are in the same boat?

Plenty of us. I discovered MR back in late 2004. I kept coming back for the rumors and the forums for info (searching can be quite amazing when you're not a registered user ;)). Then in May, I randomly decided to register, and I'm glad I did. This place is 10 times better when you're on "the other side" :p.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You betcha...I started lurking here in July 2001. I didn't get around to registering until the original iPod shuffle was released in January 2005. I've been a bit more active since then. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.