PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to replace your Power Supply Unit?

PupnTaco
Jan 8, 2008, 02:50 PM
As noted in a previous thread, I have a dying Power Mac G5 (dual 2 GHz). I'm wondering about the wisdom of trying to replace the power supply myself, if indeed that is the cause of my problems. The computer has been crashing a dozen times daily and cannot be rebooted unless you open the case & push the PMU reset button.... so I'm making an uneducated guess that it's the power supply that either needs cleaning or is getting ready to fail.

I see at this site (DT&T Service (http://www.dttservice.com/appledesktops/powermacg5.html)) they're selling replacement power supplies for $145.... and I found detailed instructions on how to disassemble the G5 here (http://www.sharpeningbeneath.com/g5guide/).

So, I could:
A) take the G5 to Apple and have them fix it for $1700 minimum
B) buy a new Mac Pro for $4800
or
C) roll the dice and spend $145 to see if I can fix it myself with the help of a friend who's handy with Apple hardware.

Worst-case scenario: I annihilate the G5, which feels like its on its way to dying anyway. Best-case: I can keep working without spending the money I don't have right now.

What would you do?

tyr2
Jan 8, 2008, 03:08 PM
Personally I'd try giving the power supply a good going over with a can of compressed air first. Get all the dust out of there that might be causing it to over heat.

65StangBoy
Jan 8, 2008, 03:15 PM
The G5 power supplies are a pain to replace. Since they're on the bottom of the machine EVERYTHING has to come out. Processors, logic board, yada yada. I've replaced the logic board, processors, power supply on a G5 once and I definately would not do it without having acces to the service manual.

PupnTaco
Jan 8, 2008, 05:04 PM
I definately would not do it without having acces to the service manual.

Found one through diligent Googling and reposted the 11-page, 6MB PDF here (http://download.yousendit.com/78DCA06178A95B10) for anyone else who needs it.

PupnTaco
Feb 4, 2008, 01:47 PM
As a follow-up, I didn't need to replace the power supply - just had to disassemble the case for it and remove all the clumps of dust that were blocking airflow through the unit.

Thanks to the service manual, I was able to do it pretty easily by myself and have resolved my kernel panic problem.

peejack
Feb 4, 2008, 01:53 PM
Personally I'd try giving the power supply a good going over with a can of compressed air first. Get all the dust out of there that might be causing it to over heat.

I have a question about compressed air actually lol.

I brought some and used it on a laptop and it actually looks like it makes it wet and crackles, is it suppose to do that??? :confused::eek:

Mindflux
Feb 4, 2008, 01:54 PM
I have a question about compressed air actually lol.

I brought some and used it on a laptop and it actually looks like it makes it wet and crackles, is it suppose to do that??? :confused::eek:

It does if you dont hold the can upright.

peejack
Feb 4, 2008, 01:57 PM
It does if you dont hold the can upright.

Oh right and I take it 1) you should hold it upright and 2) can that damage your comp?

captcurrent
Dec 15, 2008, 02:03 PM
I am in the middle of no where so shipping my Power PC to repair and back again is not cost effective.

I am 99% power supply died (machine doesn't come on anymore.. nada)

so I would like to replace PSU... I have played with powerbooks before so I am not uncomortable but would like to find some guides as to how to get the processors out

I have a G5 2.0 dual processor as I understand its a rev a since the processor cover is two pieces..

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

jason

OrangeSVTguy
Dec 15, 2008, 02:43 PM
I am in the middle of no where so shipping my Power PC to repair and back again is not cost effective.

I am 99% power supply died (machine doesn't come on anymore.. nada)

so I would like to replace PSU... I have played with powerbooks before so I am not uncomortable but would like to find some guides as to how to get the processors out

I have a G5 2.0 dual processor as I understand its a rev a since the processor cover is two pieces..

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

jason

Run your serial number in the Apple site to see if you fall under their PSU extension program. http://www.apple.com/support/powermac/powersupply/repairextension/

I have the Powermac G5 service manual. It's too large to upload it on here and I can't remember where I downloaded it but if you want it, I can email it to you. It's 6.5mb.

spinman08
Apr 13, 2009, 06:08 PM
Run your serial number in the Apple site to see if you fall under their PSU extension program. http://www.apple.com/support/powermac/powersupply/repairextension/

I have the Powermac G5 service manual. It's too large to upload it on here and I can't remember where I downloaded it but if you want it, I can email it to you. It's 6.5mb.

hey OrangeSVTguy

can you e-mail me a copy of the service manual? i have not been able to locate a copy online yet, i would appreciate your assistance.(@gmail.com)

thanks,

KevDiggity
Apr 14, 2009, 02:47 PM
hey OrangeSVTguy

can you e-mail me a copy of the service manual? i have not been able to locate a copy online yet, i would appreciate your assistance.(@gmail.com)

thanks,

Hey OrangeSVT guy or spinman08, could you hit me up with a copy of that manual, too? My power supply here at work just kicked the bucket, too, I believe . . . my e-mail is kevielumps at gmail.com

thanks!

Duff-Man
Apr 14, 2009, 03:18 PM
Duff-Man says....even if your s/n is not within the ones listed by Apple I would still call them as they may replace it free of charge anyway - they did with mine without much prodding at all and mine was about a year out of the range of machines supposedly affected....oh yeah!

Whiteyez
Apr 14, 2009, 03:54 PM
How about PSU of mac pro 09' any guide how can i change it?

Abidubi
Apr 14, 2009, 05:00 PM
Oh right and I take it 1) you should hold it upright and 2) can that damage your comp?

If you computer is on I am pretty sure that will kill it. If it was off I'm not sure. It evaporates in a second, but I don't know if there is residue left behind. I'm also not sure if it is conductive. Also, it being a laptop (or anything with capacitors) it is always possible to short circuit it even when it is off if you get it in the wrong place. Gotta love capacitors. Never touch a power-supply's internals even if it is unplugged. Thats what all those warning stickers saying "Do not open. Shock hazard. Service technicians only." are about.

Nomad DJ
Apr 23, 2009, 04:10 PM
Just had a PowerMac G5 psu fail here at work.

Can somebody pass along that guide to bryanlaraway at gmail?

thanks!
-B

vailance
Apr 26, 2009, 02:59 AM
my g5 dual 2.3ghz early 2005 modal failed to start because of the psu somehow boom. took it out the psu(not easy if you do not have the long handled torx screwdriver - T10 at least 150mm long) , remove the both processor then remove the cover on top of the psu then voila, its out. throw away the huge psu pcb board dump in the normal 500w ATX psu, rewiring and re-pin the 24pin connectors and now my g5 is running fine.

rogerson123
May 25, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hi there,

my dual G5 powermac psu has died on me also, i would very much appreciate if you could forward that guide to me:

rogerson1987@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

Mr_Brightside_@
May 25, 2009, 11:56 AM
Hi there,

my dual G5 powermac psu has died on me also, i would very much appreciate if you could forward that guide to me:

Thanks
Just a suggestion: put
rogerson1987 AT hotmail DOT co DOT UK
in the future, saves you from spammers or something (?).

gugucom
May 25, 2009, 03:56 PM
For users in Europe I recommend Golytronic in Germany for PSU repairs. They are very experienced and quickly found out that mine was actually ok. In my case it turned out one CPU had died.

Lucky for me it was a 1,8 GHz and those can boot on one CPU if you remove the defective one. Anything higher than 1,8 GHz and you cannot use this simple diagnostic trick.

Paul22874234
Sep 21, 2009, 08:21 AM
My power supply is dead, too. Can you e-mail me the service manual? Thanks!

SOLUTIONS atsymbol MCCLUNGCO period COM

GeneralAntilles
Sep 21, 2009, 12:14 PM
The G5 power supplies are a pain to replace. Since they're on the bottom of the machine EVERYTHING has to come out. Processors, logic board, yada yada. I've replaced the logic board, processors, power supply on a G5 once and I definately would not do it without having acces to the service manual.

Actually, only the CPU assembly should need to come out, but reseating that thing properly is a pain. I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart, but it's certainly doable.

OrangeSVTguy
Sep 21, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hey everyone, if you still need that G5 Service manual, I have it. Sorry I never replied back to anyone.

So if you need it, just hit me up.

For the following models:

Techhie
Sep 21, 2009, 08:14 PM
With limited knowledge, one could easily damage the liquid cooling inside of the G5 during an intensive repair like that if they weren't careful. If I were you, I would go to the Apple Store and ask for a quote to have it replaced, but I suspect that buying a new machine would be the better option. What you do with your money is your option, but it seems that just shelling out for the new Mac Pro now will make better financial sense than pumping money into a dying machine.

OrangeSVTguy
Sep 21, 2009, 08:19 PM
With limited knowledge, one could easily damage the liquid cooling inside of the G5 during an intensive repair like that if they weren't careful. If I were you, I would go to the Apple Store and ask for a quote to have it replaced, but I suspect that buying a new machine would be the better option. What you do with your money is your option, but it seems that just shelling out for the new Mac Pro now will make better financial sense than pumping money into a dying machine.

Only the 2.5 and 2.7 models were liquid-cooled and besides the OP is over 1-1/2 years old :p. I think they moved on by now ;)

Techhie
Sep 21, 2009, 08:24 PM
Only the 2.5 and 2.7 models were liquid-cooled and besides the OP is over 1-1/2 years old :p. I think they moved on by now ;)

my bad :p But still, I don't think anyone would disagree that he would be happier with an Intel beast sitting under his desk (though his wallet may not be)

revco
Oct 12, 2009, 10:59 AM
Actually, only the CPU assembly should need to come out, but reseating that thing properly is a pain. I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart, but it's certainly doable.

I have the processor and cooling assembly out of my G5 Quad but can't seem to work out how to get the PSU out given there are a row of metal tabs from the PSU that slide under the logic board. How do you do it without removing the logic board? Thanks.

GeneralAntilles
Oct 12, 2009, 12:13 PM
I have the processor and cooling assembly out of my G5 Quad but can't seem to work out how to get the PSU out given there are a row of metal tabs from the PSU that slide under the logic board. How do you do it without removing the logic board? Thanks.

Mine was only a dual, so it may not apply to the quad. Can you find a service manual somewhere?

revco
Oct 12, 2009, 01:21 PM
Mine was only a dual, so it may not apply to the quad. Can you find a service manual somewhere?

Hi. Yes, I have the service manual. It says to remove the logic board. I spoke with an Apple tech a few days ago and he says they remove the PSU with the logic board still in place. I don't see how that's possible.

The PSU in the Quad is only a few days old. It was replaced by Apple free of charge as it qualified for their repair extension program (the Quad is 39 months old). FYI The replacement PSU is from Lite-On.

It took them nearly nine weeks to do the repair! Anyway, I get the Quad back and I notice the PSU doesn't make the click sound when it's first plugged in. I was expecting that it should. My other Quads do. Maybe that's not so for the new type of PSU? Then I notice the trickle light on the logic board doesn't light up when the air deflector is removed. Also, with the Quad running, the fans don't ramp up when the deflector's removed. I wanted to remove the PSU to get to the air deflector sensor to see if it was damaged/disabled during the PSU repair.

Low-Entropy
Oct 27, 2009, 12:44 AM
hey OrangeSVTguy

thanks,

Hi OrangeSVTguy & forum members: The power supply appears to be
dead on my G5 dual Power PC --aluminum G5 dual 1.8 GHz (2003).
Not even the power switch lights up. I'll follow previous suggestions
however, need a service manual:

Could you also e-mail a copy of the service manual to me at:
runnerboston79 AT yahoo DOT com

Any further assistance or suggestions appreciated. :)

Caltum
Oct 27, 2009, 10:34 PM
I also have a G5 power Supply that has gone bad. It does fall into the power supply numbers that can go bad but they will not replace for free because it is over 3 years old.

Could you possibly send the Service manual?

caltum AT chartertn dot net

Thanks!!!!

mwatkinsevang
Jan 12, 2010, 03:08 PM
Hey guys, hope someone can help fast, I sold my G5 on ebay, its a Early 2005 2.7 Dual G5 with the Heatsink cooling system. My computer shut off for not reason at all the other day, after a friend looked at it, he thinks its the Power Supply, I have tried the Cuda button and everything else, everyone thinks its the power supply, so I ordered one from the internet and its arriving tomorrow. I talked to the buyer, he said that it is fine as long as its just the power supply and I can replace it. So I am going to be replacing it tomorrow and then testing and shipping it if it works.

But I really need a Guide for replacing the Power Supply for this computer, I have found some but none for the 2.7 Dual with the Heat sink thing over the CPUS, do I have to remove the logic board and cpus or just the CPU's? Does anyone have a guide they can email me at mwatkinsevang@gmail.com

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Matt

Low-Entropy
Jan 12, 2010, 05:00 PM
Hey mwatkinsevang, or anybody else on this forum:

Would anyone please be able to tell me where I can buy a G5 Power
Supply ? My G5 is an older model -PSU DEAD- a 2003 dual 1.8 GHz;
however, I suspect that the supplier you ordered from might carry
PSU's for most of these G5 beasts.

I would also be VERY interested in the experience of anyone else
regarding the difficulty of any "tedious technical issues" that might
be involved when replacing these Power Supplies; I've heard from
other sources that removing and re-seating the CPU's, for example,
- if not done properly - can result in transforming your G5 into an
un-operational heap of aluminum re-cycling waste.

Any information on either of the above issues would be greatly
appreciated, if you have a second to email me at:
runnerboston79 At yahoo Dot com.
Thanks forum participants! :)
``````````````````````
Unless I can fix this "beast", I'll be a "proud owner" of a large
& very expensive shiny aluminum "Power PC Foot Rest". :mad:

mwatkinsevang
Jan 13, 2010, 01:24 PM
Ya, I ordered it off Ebay refurbished for 100 bucks

STILL NO RESPONCE SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!?!?

Omar Cruz
Jan 28, 2010, 05:42 AM
omarcruz.89@gmail.com

Pro Tools Tech
Feb 17, 2010, 12:50 AM
I need the service manual as well please. protoolstech at gmail.com if someone can help. I'll trade protools tips if you need them.

On another note, I was googling around for info on the PS swap and ran across a guy who replaced the $100+ power supply by buying an atx supply cheap and reharnessing. There's a 24+v rail that feeds the on/off LED and power for the ADC connector, so that one is not really needed. I'll post the link as soon as I can find it (different computer).

Thanks in advance.

V

Hcosamdiego
Oct 2, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hi-

Can you email me that Powemax G5 service manual? My power supply broke and I need to open it without destroying it. My email is: Anson AT vsboy DOT net

Thanks!

pommehomme
Dec 3, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hey everyone, if you still need that G5 Service manual, I have it. Sorry I never replied back to anyone.

So if you need it, just hit me up.

For the following models:

Of course my G5 2.0 dual died AFTER apple discontinued the PSU replacement program on 1.31.10.

I would love to have a copy of the service manual if it is convenient.
(bpressmd@gmail.com)

Thanks

ph

skyward
Nov 19, 2013, 05:47 PM

I've got the same issue with my 1st gen G5 D2.0 and I also have a power supply in front of me and stuck getting the processor out and would also like to see the service manual you have. Could you please send it to me too?

Thanks.
Darin