PDA

View Full Version : i am so certain that appletv will be updated at MW that i'll.....

nlivo
Jan 10, 2008, 06:54 PM
I am so certain that the appletv will be updated at macworld in steve jobs' keynote that if this not be the case I will not come on macrumor's for a week after the keynote. That's a promise. This will be very hard for me to do because it's holidays and I get very bored very quickly. When introducing the new iMac back in August steve Jobs said the appletv will be seeing an update soon. we are way past soon. Man, I'm looking forward to some new features on my appletv in a couple of days. Anyone else as confident as myself that the appletv will be getting an update???

MikeL
Jan 10, 2008, 07:16 PM
The better question is if anyone will notice if you come back or not.

GoCubsGo
Jan 10, 2008, 07:17 PM
See ya.
No really, I guess people (not me) would notice you were gone but not visiting MR for a week hardly seems like an acceptable gambling tool. Is it really that hard for you to stay away for 7 days?

nlivo
Jan 10, 2008, 08:06 PM
See ya.
No really, I guess people (not me) would notice you were gone but not visiting MR for a week hardly seems like an acceptable gambling tool. Is it really that hard for you to stay away for 7 days?

Oh, I know my absence will go unnoticed but I will still find it very hard not to come on. Especially seeing as its holidays. I come on here a lot. Its a very good time waister.

zedsdead
Jan 10, 2008, 09:02 PM
I have to agree with you about the Apple TV...Jobs mentioned it, and it is long overdue. Also, all of this news about the iTunes rentals and the release of the mobile iTunes store on the iphone and the Touch point to one being on the Apple TV...I hope that is not all it gets though...

I am looking for correct Video Playlist Support, More Screen Savers, HD Content with the Apple TV being able to Decode AAC 5.1 to AC-3, Chapter Marker Selection Menu's to name a few things...

As for hardware... I would like a dvd player built in, but it is not necessary.

jeremy.king
Jan 10, 2008, 09:12 PM
enjoy all the people bitchin' about how their rev1 Apple TV is now useless :eek:

I expect some sort of upgrade. I really hope for only a software update (movie rentals), because of my propensity to buy new apple toys...;)

GFLPraxis
Jan 10, 2008, 09:20 PM
I am so certain that the appletv will be updated at macworld in steve jobs' keynote that if this not be the case I will not come on macrumor's for a week after the keynote. That's a promise. This will be very hard for me to do because it's holidays and I get very bored very quickly. When introducing the new iMac back in August steve Jobs said the appletv will be seeing an update soon. we are way past soon. Man, I'm looking forward to some new features on my appletv in a couple of days. Anyone else as confident as myself that the appletv will be getting an update???

That's no fun. Do something fun.

I remember one guy saying "I'm so certain that the new iMac will not use Conroe that if it does I will eat a sock."

Do something like that. If you're wrong, then you post a picture of yourself with a sock in your mouth and we all smile, point, and laugh.

Sonicjay
Jan 10, 2008, 09:45 PM

lol

I'm hoping for a software update, and looking forward to finding out how the rentals will work. I get a lot of use out of my :apple:TV right now, and would get a lot more being able to rent movies through it.

jsw
Jan 10, 2008, 09:48 PM
I am so certain that the appletv will be updated at macworld in steve jobs' keynote that if this not be the case I will not come on macrumor's for a week after the keynote. That's a promise.
If you'd like to guarantee that you don't, we could put you in time-out.

But I don't think you need to leave if nothing's announced. Feel free to retract your promise. :)

nlivo
Jan 11, 2008, 12:29 AM

But I don't think you need to leave if nothing's announced. Feel free to retract your promise. :)

NO!!! DON'T PUT ME IN TIME-OUT!!!!! Um, eh, it's just that for emergency reasons and um, eh, yeah, emergency reasons.

markfc
Jan 11, 2008, 05:49 AM
There won't be a AppleTV hardware upgrade at macworld, just an update (v1.2) with rentals.

zedsdead
Jan 11, 2008, 06:09 AM
There won't be a AppleTV hardware upgrade at macworld, just an update (v1.2) with rentals.

That is my concern because rentals really has nothing to do with the Apple TV at all...it's about iTunes really...the most it requires will be iTunes on the Apple TV, which could lead to no real new features for the Apple TV at all...I hope Apple has more than that planned for it...

It doesn't have to be hardware since the current is fine, but it needs many more software features.

Yvan256
Jan 11, 2008, 08:11 AM
All I'm asking for is a software update to add support for 4:3 TVs... :(

jeremy.king
Jan 11, 2008, 09:24 AM
That is my concern because rentals really has nothing to do with the Apple TV at all...it's about iTunes really

Well they could put iTunes Movie Rental store on the Apple TV. This way you can order your movie from the comfort of your living room.

Doctor Q
Jan 11, 2008, 01:26 PM
enjoy all the people bitchin' about how their rev1 Apple TV is now useless :eek:I expect an Apple TV announcement too, and I plan to be one of those complainers. How dare Apple improve their product when I already bought one! :mad:

Of course, if they fail to improve it, then I'll complain that I'm stuck with an obsolete end-of-life'd product. :mad:

Peace
Jan 11, 2008, 01:34 PM
enjoy all the people bitchin' about how their rev1 Apple TV is now useless :eek:

I expect some sort of upgrade. I really hope for only a software update (movie rentals), because of my propensity to buy new apple toys...;)

The rev1 Apple TV will still do movie rentals with an update.What it wont do is play a Blue-Ray DVD ;)

That will never happen.It's all about HD widescreen now days.

Jocko
Jan 11, 2008, 01:53 PM
There won't be a AppleTV hardware upgrade at macworld, just an update (v1.2) with rentals.LOL. I love posts like this.

jeremy.king
Jan 11, 2008, 02:00 PM
The rev1 Apple TV will still do movie rentals with an update.What it wont do is play a Blue-Ray DVD ;)

Not if they follow the iPod historical model, new hardware gets new features...Unless I can play video on my iPod Photo and didn't know it. ;)

iTiki
Jan 11, 2008, 03:11 PM

4:3? Do they even make those anymore? I havn't seen one in the wild for a couple of years............museum peice, maybe.:D

peeaanuut
Jan 11, 2008, 05:17 PM
it will work on a HD 4:3 TV. My parents have a 1080i tube 4:3 HDTV and it works on their via component cables.

.vin.
Jan 11, 2008, 05:28 PM
I really want to have the ability to download and view podcasts on the :apple:TV, or access anything else in the iTMS for that matter, with a nice interface for the store. I mean, they put the iTMS on the iPhone, why not on the :apple:TV?

Zwhaler
Jan 12, 2008, 01:06 AM

Haha good one. :p But hey forget taking a leave of absence how about you put down some money OP :)

nlivo
Jan 12, 2008, 04:50 AM
Haha good one. :p But hey forget taking a leave of absence how about you put down some money OP :)

Well I'm not going to put down money. How about, If nothing happens with the appletv I'll eat the whole front page of a newspaper??? One of the bigger sized newspapers???

OllyW
Jan 12, 2008, 04:56 AM
That will never happen.It's all about HD widescreen now days.

Perhaps someone should tell Apple ;)

samh004
Jan 12, 2008, 07:15 AM

You make a good point, I do expect a software update for existing owners, but I also expect a hardware update too. Bigger standard HDD, newer graphics chip (the existing AppleTV uses the Go 7300, and that's what the Mac Pro used when the AppleTV was released, so I expect the graphics will be changed).

As for Blu-ray, that sounds like a good idea from Apple's point of view, especially seeing as it looks like it's going to be the winner and with the AppleTV supporting it too, I wouldn't see why not. However... wouldn't that push the price of the AppleTV up astronomically. DVD is cheap, Blu-ray is not.

zedsdead
Jan 12, 2008, 02:11 PM
Perhaps someone should tell Apple ;)

If there's not an update to the resolution on iTunes I am going to crazy...at least 720xN would be nice considering the new iPods support it...I really want 720p, but I would even settle for 540p...something...

dmr727
Jan 12, 2008, 04:20 PM
I don't see why Apple would put any kind of DVD player into the AppleTV. This is a technology designed to eventually replace all forms of physical media. Asking for a DVD player is like asking Apple to build a CD player into the iPod. It's not like your TV only has one input.

iSee
Jan 12, 2008, 05:07 PM

Maybe MR could create an "icon of shame" that goes under your id/avatar. So, nlivo could say, "i am so certain that appletv will be updated at MW that i'll..... wear the Icon of Shame for a week if I'm wrong." He'd have to turn it on/off on his Profile himself, but the community would hold him to it :D.

digmo
Jan 12, 2008, 05:43 PM
Well i really do hope it is only a software update. Having bought an AppleTV (and loved it) last June I have had 1 update that added Youtube. The potential of the AppleTV has not been fully exploited. I'll be pretty peeved if they bring out Apple TV 2.0 given how little they gave to 1.0.

I am hoping Steve says something like "We announced the Apple TV last year, the iphone and leopard took us away from the project but we are back, we are releasing a software upgrade that......."

Like the iphone it could run apps, movie rentals, etc etc etc

please no hardware refresh on this one.... but some really neat software upgrades.

Dig
www.digmo.tv

EricNau
Jan 12, 2008, 06:07 PM
I expect an Apple TV announcement too, and I plan to be one of those complainers. How dare Apple improve their product when I already bought one! :mad:
Plus, you could complain that the new Apple TV doesn't include enough new features to warrant a new purchase! So you'd be left with an outdated product, with no incentive to purchase a new one! How dare Apple put you in such a predicament!

GFLPraxis
Jan 12, 2008, 08:30 PM

Every time you add an e to Blu-ray, Howard Stringer kills a puppy.

Please. Think of the puppies.

Doctor Q
Jan 12, 2008, 09:20 PM
Plus, you could complain that the new Apple TV doesn't include enough new features to warrant a new purchase! So you'd be left with an outdated product, with no incentive to purchase a new one! How dare Apple put you in such a predicament!Yeah, and I could also complain if they don't offer me a free upgrade to any new hardware, or if it's free but I have to pay for shipping!

TelescopeEyes
Jan 12, 2008, 10:33 PM
Well, I think an update is obvious, but to what extent is the real question. I'm hoping for something substantial. I'd love to own one.

digmo
Jan 13, 2008, 03:55 AM
:) I know you can not really complain when Apple update a product :) I just feel I have waited since I bought it for Apple to give it some attention but with leopard and iphone it never happened.

I do love the AppleTV it really works for us especially with the kids. the fact that it pulls your latest photos from iphoto it gives live to the photo library.

I am really hoping for a software update that would add a cover flow to apple tv I am hoping most of the upgrading will be software but if they release a hardware update I will (despite the best will to fight the addiction) upgrade :)

Digmo
www.digmo.tv

docprego
Jan 13, 2008, 03:32 PM

I'm in too! If the AppleTV is not updated at Macworld then I won't buy the updated model! That's a promise.