PDA

View Full Version : SlingPlayer for iPhone and iPod Touch?

MacRumors
Jan 11, 2008, 08:43 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

ElectricPig.tv claims (http://www.electricpig.tv/news/hot-kit/133556/ces-2008-slingplayer-coming-to-iphone.thtml) (via 9to5 (http://9to5mac.com/sling-player-on-iphone-ipod-45366785)) they have an "extremely senior source" at Sling Media (http://www.slingmedia.com/) who says that an iPhone/iPod Touch version of their SlingPlayer client software is coming.

Sling Media sells the SlingBox (http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingbox) which allows you to stream video from your home television over the internet to any supported device (Mac, PC, Mobile Phone). A native SlingPlayer port would bring that functionality to the iPhone. Sling Media, however, is said to be worried that EDGE might not be fast enough to support their streaming media.

This rumor might have been dismissed, if not for the fact that MacRumors has also heard that SlingMedia is indeed one of the lucky developers to get an early copy of the iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK). Apple has reportedly seeded (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/26/iphone-sdk-already-seeded-to-some-developers/) select developers with early versions of the iPhone SDK to ready some applications for the initial launch. The iPhone SDK is officially expected to be released in February 2008.

With Macworld Expo around the corner, we have heard that Apple will show new iphone software at Macworld, though this could just mean the 1.1.3 firmware (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/28/iphone-1-1-3-features-and-screenshots/) that was previously leaked.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/10/slingplayer-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/)

Rocketman
Jan 11, 2008, 08:49 AM
I don't currently use Sling, but likely would if available on a larger screen iPhone 2 (ATNN).

Since the point is to watch TV, most users could shift to a spot where wifi is present and would not need to rely entirely on EDGE. In fact, a docked device with video out to a full size screen would be a practical option.

Rocketman

appleguru1
Jan 11, 2008, 08:50 AM
As a slingbox solo and iPhone owner, this is the best news I've heard all day :D

tothelimit
Jan 11, 2008, 08:55 AM
I've been putting off the purchase of a sling box for quite some time now. If this turns out to be more than just 'rumor', I'm sold.

elppa
Jan 11, 2008, 08:56 AM
But they might not have to cope with Edge after MacWorld… Who knows? If Apple gets a 3G chipset in the phone, then they can go into Italy, Spain, Australia, China etc. and be competitive.

It will also make it more competitive in existing non US markets, such as the UK, Germany and France.

pianos101
Jan 11, 2008, 08:56 AM
As a slingbox solo and iPhone owner, this is the best news I've heard all day :D

I whole-heartedly second that... I have a good feeling, though, that crappy EDGE won't be enough to make it watchable. But still, definitely the best news I've heard in a while...

fastbite
Jan 11, 2008, 09:07 AM
Sounds great! And with the actors strike looming closer and the writer's strike still much alive, we can watch endless reruns from anywhere with a good connection.

Edmar
Jan 11, 2008, 09:15 AM
As an iPhone owner this is the only thing keeping me from buying a Sling Player, I hope this rumor comes into fruition.

displaced
Jan 11, 2008, 09:19 AM
Great to hear (assuming it's true!)

So let's assume this'll be made with the allegedly-to-be-released iPhone/iPod Touch SDK. What would be very, very nice would be to be able to dock the iPhone/Touch in a dock connected to the TV and use it to output the slingbox stream to the second TV. So not only would you be able to watch on your iPhone, but you'd also be able to watch on any TV just by hooking up the dock. Sweet.

rohn
Jan 11, 2008, 09:19 AM
I also own a slingbox and had been using it on a Treo. If this is true, it would be so awesome.

Daremo
Jan 11, 2008, 09:20 AM
With Macworld Expo around the corner, we have heard that Apple will show new iphone software at Macworld, though this could just mean the 1.1.3 firmware (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/28/iphone-1-1-3-features-and-screenshots/) that was previously leaked.

I fully believe the leaked 1.1.3 is all real. What I can't understand is how it went out without a C&D. If this was to be the features shown at Macworld, this has to really upset the powers that be... Unless, and this is more wishful thinking then anything, that was a very early firmware revision, and it's only the minor additions. Tuesday should be a fun day.

walnuts
Jan 11, 2008, 09:20 AM
I don't use slingbox, so I'm not sure if I'd use this, but if they actually plan to have this ready for Macworld, I'm sure it won't be the only new app. I'm hoping for a few more goodies...

b1wils1
Jan 11, 2008, 09:25 AM
first time i've ever seen a posting not have any negative ratings. where are all the debbie-downers?

evilyankeefan
Jan 11, 2008, 09:25 AM
Wouldn't this compete with the (more than likely) iTunes rental service? If I have something on my DVR and can sling it to my iPhone/touch, what's the incentive of renting it?

Just seems that this would take away revenue for Apple. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

Cool idea though especially if you have stuff on your DVR that isn't in iTunes.

Yuppi
Jan 11, 2008, 09:27 AM
Hmm, the sling website is not really informative. They try to be funny and seem to forgot to tell what the product exactly does. Could anyone enlighten me?

callmemike20
Jan 11, 2008, 09:30 AM
Great to hear (assuming it's true!)

So let's assume this'll be made with the allegedly-to-be-released iPhone/iPod Touch SDK. What would be very, very nice would be to be able to dock the iPhone/Touch in a dock connected to the TV and use it to output the slingbox stream to the second TV. So not only would you be able to watch on your iPhone, but you'd also be able to watch on any TV just by hooking up the dock. Sweet.

There is one major problem with this. The resolution that you will be streaming it at will be made for your mobile phone, so when it is put on a tv, it would be really distorted and you wouldnt be able to see anything. Even on a laptop, with wifi, you cannot maximize the screen without getting distortion of the picture. I use slingplayer on my motorola q using the verizon network, which is faster than edge, and the picture looks great on that screen. NOW, if you were connected to the same LAN as the slingbox, you could get upwards of 3000kbps which is a pretty good picture. So, you might be able to use it in your house on a second tv, but i really wouldn't see the point in that.

Project
Jan 11, 2008, 09:30 AM
Is Twitter another of the lucky few to get an SDK?

I recall this Tweet from Ev Williams last month

"testing a secret Twitter client"

http://twitter.com/ev/statuses/515951692

kontheur
Jan 11, 2008, 09:36 AM
We've got Back to my Mac right? The technology is here already, just waiting on Apple to bring it on the market (next week) ...

bytethese
Jan 11, 2008, 09:39 AM
Y-E-S, YES!

I've been waiting/hoping this would come true. I want a slingbox but would be more comfortable with the purchase knwing I can watch on my laptop and/or my iPhone!

Man, with all this good tech lately, I am going to be broke this year!

tgildred
Jan 11, 2008, 09:39 AM
first time i've ever seen a posting not have any negative ratings. where are all the debbie-downers?

They're all too depressed about no live video streaming of the MWSF keynote...

ridli
Jan 11, 2008, 09:46 AM
Wouldn't this compete with the (more than likely) iTunes rental service? If I have something on my DVR and can sling it to my iPhone/touch, what's the incentive of renting it?

Just seems that this would take away revenue for Apple. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

I don't think the two will be competing. The slingbox is basically made to "place shift" your TV or DVR content to some other point that's connected with a slingbox client. Considering that iTunes movie rentals are most likely going to be new DVD releases, you would really have to be using a slingbox & renting movies from a service like on-demand for them to overlap.

tothelimit
Jan 11, 2008, 10:00 AM
assuming apple will be using iTunes (or similar distribution method) for these 3rd applications... what kind of price tag do you think we can expect on one like this?

any thoughts on how the pricing structure might work in general for these applications? i know apple is typically big on carrying one price across the board for downloads (hence the scuffles with record labels wanting to charge a higher price for music by 'premium artists') - but I can't imagine that working here.

brucku
Jan 11, 2008, 10:09 AM
I am not too worried about the edge drawback for 2 reasons.

First of all, this would not the be the first application on the iphone designed for wifi use only. iTunes store only works on wifi, and thats an apple app. I don't think we'd all mind if slingbox only worked on wifi. Secondly the video looked great on my Q, so i'm sure they can scale it to work on edge just fine.

oh and Seeqpod works great on edge.

slffl
Jan 11, 2008, 10:23 AM

Um, maybe because not everyone has premium movie channels on satellite or cable?

iWizzard
Jan 11, 2008, 10:24 AM
A client for ORB (http://www.orb.com/orb/) or similar service would be a better solution. Why buy an extra device when you already have an PC that can do the same thing?

bigjohn
Jan 11, 2008, 10:32 AM
As an iPhone owner this is the only thing keeping me from buying a Sling Player, I hope this rumor comes into fruition.

As a Slingbox owner this is the only thing keeping me from buying an iPhone, I hope this rumor comes into fruition.

:)

kasei
Jan 11, 2008, 10:39 AM
I own a Slingbox Pro and I've used it around the world to watch TV and news. If this is true and Apple updates the iPhone this coming Monday I will definitely buy an iPhone as soon as the update is available.

donlphi
Jan 11, 2008, 10:50 AM
I heard that the Slinplayer works fine on a Blackberry on the edge network. I have seen it on a PALM Treo using the Edge Network. I think it will be fine.

We'll see what happens this Tuesday. Will the SDK be crippled?

nostaws
Jan 11, 2008, 10:55 AM
I know about 10 slingbox owners, who are not currently iphone owners, who would buy an iphone/itouch just for this. - seriously -

plumbingandtech
Jan 11, 2008, 10:58 AM
Y-E-S, YES!

I've been waiting/hoping this would come true. I want a slingbox but would be more comfortable with the purchase knwing I can watch on my laptop and/or my iPhone!

Man, with all this good tech lately, I am going to be broke this year!

Can anyone who has one give us a quick rundown as to how one installs it?

Say a person has a router and a dsl for your home network.

I assume an Ethernet cable plugs into the slingbox, but at this point do you have to open any special ports on the router for the slingbox to be "seen" on the Internet?

thanks
:confused:

nostaws
Jan 11, 2008, 11:02 AM
I fully believe the leaked 1.1.3 is all real. What I can't understand is how it went out without a C&D. If this was to be the features shown at Macworld, this has to really upset the powers that be

I also belive that 1.1.3 is real, but what if at macworld apple releases 1.2.

For example, with apple releasing an SDK, and working with a few who have already seen the SDK, I would think that they are doing a lot of polishing to the software. Maybe all that work and polish took it to 1.2, and 1.1.3 is old news in Apple circles.

Just an idea.

HiRez
Jan 11, 2008, 11:06 AM
Man, just what I have been waiting for. I would buy a new 3/4G iPhone just for this app, even though I just bought a new crapG iPhone a few months ago. Would be great if it worked over the video out cable, even if it didn't look great. One feature I wish SlingPlayer had would be to prebuffer a whole show to your device at whatever bitrate you choose.

HiRez
Jan 11, 2008, 11:14 AM
Can anyone who has one give us a quick rundown as to how one installs it?

Say a person has a router and a dsl for your home network.

I assume an Ethernet cable plugs into the slingbox, but at this point do you have to open any special ports on the router for the slingbox to be "seen" on the Internet?Yes, you plug in an ethernet but IIRC it has to be getting its IP address from the same DHCP server as the watching device if you want to use it on your LAN. For remote viewing over the Internet you need to forward a port on your wireless router but it can set that up automatically field some of them (it did on my new Airport Extreme n base station).

Then it also has an IR blaster cable to control an external device such as TiVo. Some models have multiple inputs and an internal cable tuner.

plumbingandtech
Jan 11, 2008, 11:18 AM
Yes, you plug in an ethernet but IIRC it has to be getting its IP address from the same DHCP server as the watching device if you want to use it on your LAN. For remote viewing over the Internet you need to forward a port on your wireless router but it can set that up automatically field some of them (it did on my new Airport Extreme n base station).

Then it also has an IR blaster cable to control an external device such as TiVo. Some models have multiple inputs and an internal cable tuner.

Cool. Thank you. I have a TiVo. If it can control that then slingbox with the iphone client will prob. snag another customer.

twoodcc
Jan 11, 2008, 11:24 AM
i don't use slingplayer, but this is still good news. looking forward to more apps for the iphone

illitrate23
Jan 11, 2008, 11:25 AM
This rumor might have been dismissed, if not for the fact that MacRumors has also heard that SlingMedia is indeed one of the lucky developers to get an early copy of the iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK).

Is it not possible that this latest rumour is just built from that earlier rumour?

Project
Jan 11, 2008, 11:36 AM
Macworld banner up

http://media.arstechnica.com/journals/apple.media/MW08_cj_banner_1.jpg

"There is something in the air"

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/adc/10102420A~Peter-Falk-Columbo-Posters.jpg

vendettabass
Jan 11, 2008, 11:53 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

fantastic news, one of my three iPhone 3rd party dream apps!

bytethese
Jan 11, 2008, 11:56 AM
Macworld banner up

Hmm, reference to something wireless coming perhaps? Maybe 3g iPhone? *dr00ls* wishful thinking. I'm just waiting to hear if there is any iPhone news since I cracke dmy screen. Might as well invest in a newer one than in fixing an old one. :)

canonwire
Jan 11, 2008, 12:02 PM
Macworld banner up

My brain just broke.

Mac OS X Ocelot
Jan 11, 2008, 12:28 PM
Let me get this straight. Instead of watching television on your television, you watch it, in your house, on your iPhone. And people are excited about this. And it already exists to watch it on your computer. And people have bought that.

Jan 11, 2008, 12:32 PM
Unless you already own a slingbox, the ability to stream to iPhone wouldn't be a great selling point.

You can already stream movies to your iPhone over a LAN by permitting web sharing to the computer it's sitting on (and a few other minor steps I forget off hand). Over the internet it would be much the same except you'd use the public IP and port forwarding, I suppose.

Now, that may not be a very elegant solution but then from what I've seen, neither is Slingbox.

I believe that even though AppleTV isn't up to par yet, the concept in principle is more elegant than Slingbox. Apple is already working on Slingbox-like iterations of AppleTV that will have the ability to provide interconnectivity with more devices like DVR's and so on... and when they do release it, it'll more than likely have a better design than anything Sling Media has developed.

I'm not saying this to be a fanboy. Even looking at some of the gadgets at CES, everything has the goony ergonomics of visions of the future seen in B-movie sci-fi of decades past. I have not seen one single device that is as elegantly integrated as an iPhone or AppleTV.

But I'm glad the competition is there from Sling Media to spur Apple into action to produce a device that will put Sling Media and others to shame.

iPhone Chicago
Jan 11, 2008, 12:35 PM
this just made my day...slingplayer on wifi will be amazing, and slingplayer on Edge will still be amazing because it's better than nothing! maybe they will put in a user option to only stream the audio if connected to Edge...you could still just listen to a football or baseball game if you wanted to at better streaming rates i'd imagine.

Project
Jan 11, 2008, 12:39 PM
Let me get this straight. Instead of watching television on your television, you watch it, in your house, on your iPhone. And people are excited about this. And it already exists to watch it on your computer. And people have bought that.

No, you could watch it on your iPhone, wherever you are in the world.

I guess the potential here would be for you to be able to pick up your content on your Mac/DVR at home from your iPhone wherever you may be in the world

BobbyDigital
Jan 11, 2008, 12:41 PM
The is the only app that I have really missed on the iPhone. I use a SlingBox to watch TV in my office and it would be great to be able to watch on my iPhone as well.

bigjohn
Jan 11, 2008, 12:45 PM

I've watched entire football games on my Blackjack sitting in a park before, well fast-forwarding through the commercials of course (it was Slinging my Tivo).

/dev/toaster
Jan 11, 2008, 12:46 PM
I fully believe the leaked 1.1.3 is all real. What I can't understand is how it went out without a C&D. If this was to be the features shown at Macworld, this has to really upset the powers that be... Unless, and this is more wishful thinking then anything, that was a very early firmware revision, and it's only the minor additions. Tuesday should be a fun day.

Wouldn't Apple start sending out taken down notices if it was a big leak on something they would show at Macworld ? Otherwise, I would guess that the leak didn't make them happy, but its not the main announcement. That would be something we don't know yet.

EagerDragon
Jan 11, 2008, 12:48 PM
I wonder if this means that Apple will not restrict who gets the SDK and that it will not restrict the applications created and deployed to the massess.

miketcool
Jan 11, 2008, 12:48 PM
I've watched entire football games on my Blackjack sitting in a park before, well fast-forwarding through the commercials of course (it was Slinging my Tivo).

I must have baseball on the brain, because when you said park, I pictured you watching the game while in the ballpark. Then I thought, how cool, you could get instant replays slinging from home while at the game over controversial calls!

Gelfin
Jan 11, 2008, 12:49 PM

No, although it does potentially save you from having to put an additional TV in the bedroom, you generally watch it in places other than your house, such as hotels, airports, coffee shops, other countries and so forth. Combining it with a DVR at home makes it even better.

Greezyg
Jan 11, 2008, 12:54 PM
wow this is GREAT news! I've had a slingbox for years. Sometimes I lug my macbook around just for slingbox so this is gonna be nice. If it's WIFI only than this would be the tipping point to justify me buying a 3G iPhone when/if it is released.

dbwie
Jan 11, 2008, 01:05 PM
I'm interested in getting a slingbox, and will be more interested if I can use it with iPhone. One question that I haven't quite figured out from the slingbox web site:
If someone is watching the TV in the living room, and I am somewhere else in the world trying to connect, can I change the channel? In other words, can somebody be in my living room watching channel 5 while I am slinging channel 10 over the internet from the same cable box? Would I need the slingbox PRO for this?

thanks.
Dustin

Gelfin
Jan 11, 2008, 01:24 PM
I'm interested in getting a slingbox, and will be more interested if I can use it with iPhone. One question that I haven't quite figured out from the slingbox web site:
If someone is watching the TV in the living room, and I am somewhere else in the world trying to connect, can I change the channel? In other words, can somebody be in my living room watching channel 5 while I am slinging channel 10 over the internet from the same cable box? Would I need the slingbox PRO for this?

thanks.
Dustin

Depends on the Slingbox model, yes. Some models have a built-in tuner, which means you could use a cable splitter and sling a different channel from what's on your TV. If you need a cable box at home (e.g., digital cable) that limits your options somewhat in the obvious ways.

As far as I know, the more common use case does have the SlingBox sitting between the cable box and television using A/V cables instead of coax. In that case, you'll have an IR blaster plugged into your SlingBox and pointed at the remote receiver on the cable box. In that case you can remotely change the channel on your cable box, but this may annoy the person watching at home.

TheSpaz
Jan 11, 2008, 01:33 PM
THIS SOUNDS AWESOME!

Does this require you to actually own a SlingBox or do you send video from your computer to your iPhone to your TV? Or is it talking about sending video from your iPhone to your SlingBox to your TV?

w00master
Jan 11, 2008, 01:39 PM
THIS SOUNDS AWESOME!

Does this require you to actually own a SlingBox or do you send video from your computer to your iPhone to your TV? Or is it talking about sending video from your iPhone to your SlingBox to your TV?

There's no "sending" with the slingbox. And yes, you do need to purchase the device. The Slingbox essentially is a streamer, but for AV devices (like Tivo, Cablebox).

w00master

rstansby
Jan 11, 2008, 01:39 PM

CDs compete with iTunes. DVDs compete with iTunes movie sales. iTunes for Windows could potentially reduce sales of Macs. I don't see why Apple would be afraid of competition.

w00master
Jan 11, 2008, 01:49 PM
CDs compete with iTunes. DVDs compete with iTunes movie sales. iTunes for Windows could potentially reduce sales of Macs. I don't see why Apple would be afraid of competition.

Agreed, besides this is a *very* good sign for the upcoming iPhone/iPod Touch SDK. If Apple is open to a so-called competitor like "slingbox" think of what else is possible with the SDK.

w00master

FJackie
Jan 11, 2008, 02:19 PM
I don't think slingbox is a competitor in fact if you have appletv you could sling that. Slingbox doesn't record anything. I have been using slingbox since it came out, i use it at work, and it is watchable down in the 200kbps.

ICN16x9
Jan 11, 2008, 02:20 PM
As a Slingbox owner this is the only thing keeping me from buying an iPhone, I hope this rumor comes into fruition.

:)

As a Slingbox owner this is the only thing keeping me from buying an iPhone, I hope this rumor comes into fruition. :) ... oh wait, I own an iPhone...YAY :)

mikes63737
Jan 11, 2008, 02:39 PM
I've been putting off the purchase of a sling box for quite some time now. If this turns out to be more than just 'rumor', I'm sold.

Me too, especially if the quality is decent over EDGE. That'd give me something to do during school. :)

jss
Jan 11, 2008, 02:40 PM
I talked with Sling at CES and discussed iphone app.--got the hint that they were working on it but was told biggest issue is the "larger" screen size of the iphone vs the other mobile clients they have now.

BwanaZulia
Jan 11, 2008, 02:48 PM
My WAG is that they gave them the technology because they are going to build a "sling" into AppleTV so you can sling AppleTV to you iPhone and the partnership was to allow them to sell it for their hardware as well.

BZ

Virgil-TB2
Jan 11, 2008, 02:56 PM
Unless you already own a slingbox, the ability to stream to iPhone wouldn't be a great selling point....Unless the "slingbox" is actually AppleTV.

What if apple just buys SlingBox as part of the deal?

Conversely, why allow Slingbox to do this when the functionality could be easily added to AppleTV which is a competing product in the same market? Add to that the ever present very solid rumours that AppleTV is being updated on Tuesday and I am having a hard time making sense out of this.

Lepton
Jan 11, 2008, 03:18 PM
Wouldn't Apple start sending out taken down notices if it was a big leak on something they would show at Macworld ?I'm thinking they are going to release a version 1.2, which will have the 1.1.3 stuff, perhaps refined, plus more. The 1.1.3 was an interm development release and the leak was to distract us so the real stuff wasn't leaked.

I predict the real stuff will be movie rentals that play on the phone, a SALES facility to buy stuff from stores via phone, ala the Starbucks takepout scenario but with more stores signed up, and a preliminary release of the SDK available now, with the final released at WWDC. A bunch of third party apps will be shown with some released. We will also see integration with Notes and To Do items, possibly WiFi sync, Apple Remote Desktop, and stereo Bluetooth. Other than that, I don't expect much.

Oh, and one more thing, a 9" tablet mac, thin as an iPhone, with no keyboard and multi touch screen, Bluetooth for keyboard and mouse and audio, flash memory, and a dock to I/O ports for charging, external disks, and so on.

tsatryan
Jan 11, 2008, 03:22 PM
The only people who would post anything negative about a Slingplayer app for the iPhone are people who do not have and do not understand how Sling functions.

I have been waiting for this app since the iPhone first was jailbroken, and will say that I would pay big time for this app.

Virgil-TB2
Jan 11, 2008, 03:53 PM
Hmm, the sling website is not really informative. They try to be funny and seem to forgot to tell what the product exactly does. Could anyone enlighten me?I had the same feeling. :(

So many websites and 2.0 upstarts make this same mistake. It's as if no one ever tested the website with viewers not already in the know about the product.

kevinwiz
Jan 11, 2008, 05:56 PM

same here, i can't wait and i really hope this is true

japanime
Jan 11, 2008, 06:24 PM
Unless the "slingbox" is actually AppleTV.

What if apple just buys SlingBox as part of the deal?

Possible, but I would say highly unlikely. EchoStar Communications just recently purchased Sling Media for $380 million. I don't see them turning around and selling it so quickly.

But you never know...

hippo206
Jan 11, 2008, 06:53 PM
this may be a stupid question, but if they can stream youtube why wouldn't they be able to stream the slingbox? i know it wouldn't be a super-duper resolution, but i wouldnt mind watching some tv programs at whatever the lower resolution of youtube is while streaming off the edge. I find watching youtube bearable.... but thats just me. The only time i ever have a problem with youtube is when the video has some kind of small text that needs to be read.

Yuppi
Jan 11, 2008, 06:53 PM
I had the same feeling. :(

So many websites and 2.0 upstarts make this same mistake. It's as if no one ever tested the website with viewers not already in the know about the product.

I figured out that those buttons below the "funny" guy are just useless. If you actually want to know something about the products you better go to http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingbox which is the same as clicking on slimbox above the video. Weird website anyway.

Rocketman
Jan 11, 2008, 07:15 PM
Oh, and one more thing, a 9" tablet mac, thin as an iPhone, with no keyboard and multi touch screen, Bluetooth for keyboard and mouse and audio, flash memory, and a dock to I/O ports for charging, external disks, and so on.

Wouldn't that make it a really thin Mac+?

Rocketman

Cliff3
Jan 11, 2008, 08:06 PM
In other words, can somebody be in my living room watching channel 5 while I am slinging channel 10 over the internet from the same cable box?

No. The slingbox isn't a tuner**, it simply takes a signal off a source and streams it over your network (and over the Internet if you configure that feature). If your tuner is tuned to channel 5, then it's tuned to channel 5 and delivering channel 5 to the sling.

Since Sling has had a OSX client out there forever, their ability to deploy an iPhone client isn't surprising. I've been using it on my Treo 755p (edit: the Treo client, that is - I've been using the OSX client on my Macs - and only one active client is permitted at any one time), and it's OK. It became much better once I upgraded my home net connection to 768kbps out (from 384kbps - Comcast). I suspect it would suck over Edge and wireless would be the only really acceptable transport medium on the iPhone until 3G is supported.

** edit: I take that back - the pro model has an analog cable tuner, assuming you have basic cable to connect up to. I'm on DirecTV, so that's not a very compelling feature for me.

Mike Teezie
Jan 11, 2008, 08:30 PM
This seems to give these rumors a bit more weight:

http://images.appleinsider.com/macworld-banner-1.jpg

The banners have gone up at the Moscone center. First thing I noticed was the new font.....

1000masks
Jan 12, 2008, 03:07 AM
They need to hook this thing up some more. I hope they can make this thing "sling stuff". That would be worth it.

macsensei
Jan 13, 2008, 04:47 PM
I want!! I want!!

John Musbach
Jan 14, 2008, 12:33 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

ElectricPig.tv claims (http://www.electricpig.tv/news/hot-kit/133556/ces-2008-slingplayer-coming-to-iphone.thtml) (via 9to5 (http://9to5mac.com/sling-player-on-iphone-ipod-45366785)) they have an "extremely senior source" at Sling Media (http://www.slingmedia.com/) who says that an iPhone/iPod Touch version of their SlingPlayer client software is coming.

Sling Media sells the SlingBox (http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingbox) which allows you to stream video from your home television over the internet to any supported device (Mac, PC, Mobile Phone). A native SlingPlayer port would bring that functionality to the iPhone. Sling Media, however, is said to be worried that EDGE might not be fast enough to support their streaming media.

This rumor might have been dismissed, if not for the fact that MacRumors has also heard that SlingMedia is indeed one of the lucky developers to get an early copy of the iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK). Apple has reportedly seeded (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/26/iphone-sdk-already-seeded-to-some-developers/) select developers with early versions of the iPhone SDK to ready some applications for the initial launch. The iPhone SDK is officially expected to be released in February 2008.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/10/slingplayer-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/)
This is what I'm talking about, if we get even more neat apps like this with the official SDK being made public then the iPhone will definitely become a serious purchase possibility for me along with Android powered phones :D

mikeyg00
Jan 14, 2008, 01:29 PM
I've found, in real life, that the speeds that I get when traveling are not sufficient for good viewing.

I have a 3G 8525 now, and for internet browsing, it's acceptable. At the speeds my browsers download, streaming would be choppier than I could tolerate.

For the Edge network, I'd be really sceptical. I've been holding out for the next generation iPhone, as a result (that's why I joined this forum, today, to find out the future of iPhones ... the local sales dudes tell me this spring we should have 3G iPhones...)

My Slingbox has been collecting dust as a result... never really got it off the ground. It seemed like my ISP may have been the weak link .... I would've had to pay additional $$ for my ISP to give me better transfer rates, and for as often as I'd need it, in a remote capacity, it wasn't worth the investment. I can see for heavy business travelers where it would be worth it, but not for me.

bigjohn
Jan 15, 2008, 03:08 AM
It seemed like my ISP may have been the weak link .... I would've had to pay additional $$ for my ISP to give me better transfer rates, and for as often as I'd need it, in a remote capacity, it wasn't worth the investment. I can see for heavy business travelers where it would be worth it, but not for me.

I'm a heavy business traveler, it's worth it. Also, I got an upgraded service from Road Runner, not to get better down, but better up - that's usually the bottleneck - a slow up from home, not necessarily a slow down from wherever you're at.

zipadidoodah
Jan 15, 2008, 04:26 AM
Hope this happens - is the sling player any good - i've been interested for a few months but because of lack of support for the iphone i said no (so far)

PDubs
Jan 15, 2008, 04:31 PM
Slingbox is awesome. I can't tell you how many times I've needed to record something while I was out of town, or watch something while out of the country, etc. It's a big reason why I got my PPC in the first place. And Sprint's network speed is much better than EDGE, so it's is plenty fine viewing anything but sports.

I hope this rumor is true because I have been salivating over an iPhone for sometime. Until I can get LogMeIn and SlingBox on it, I can't switch over. LogMeIn is web-based and should work over Safari (I guess?), so this would be the final piece aside from ATT getting their act together on the network limitation.

puffnstuff
Jan 23, 2008, 07:51 PM
yes please