PDA

View Full Version : Al 15" owners: please take 2 seconds to save my sanity...

joelc73
Oct 10, 2003, 07:36 PM
Could someone please listen closesly to the bottom of their machine and let me know if you hear anything?

My new 15" Al PowerBook makes a faint, but consistent buzzing sound when the machine is put to sleep. If you put your ear right up to the case underneath the CD drive, you can hear it. The problem is, it never stops making the sound. I'm worried that it may be darining my battery prematurely in sleep mode.

I'm not sure if this is a defect or if they all do it. Could someone please listen to theirs and let me know if you hear anything?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

oldschool
Oct 10, 2003, 09:02 PM
same thing.

My powerbook does that. I thought it was my adapter that was faulty and made apple send me out a new one...but that didn't do it...

So i guess its normal.

It is bothersome but i guess i'll get used to it.

just wondering though, is the noise quieter when the powerbook is unplugged? mine is.

joelc73
Oct 10, 2003, 09:09 PM
Thanks for listening!

Yes, it is (slightly) louder when it's plugged in. Someone told me it could be a voltage converter, but I'm really not sure.

I do feel better knowing I'm the only one who's machine makes this sound. I thought at first it was a fan, but unfortunately, it never stops... even hours later!

natebailey11
Oct 10, 2003, 09:38 PM
Mine is certainly very faint, but yes, I do hear a noise by the drive.

oldschool
Oct 11, 2003, 02:07 AM
it is damn annoying though when you are studying in a totally silent room.

MCPeck
Oct 11, 2003, 02:25 AM
I listened hard, and I don't hear a thing. Nothing, just the hard drive spinning...

joelc73
Oct 11, 2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by MCPeck
I listened hard, and I don't hear a thing. Nothing, just the hard drive spinning...
Close the lid first and let the machine sleep first (it could take a couple of seconds for the drive to stop spinning) and then listen really hard directly under the CD drive.

joelc73
Oct 12, 2003, 05:20 PM
So now I'm REALLY confused...

For those that don't hear it; close the lid and literally put the bottom of the machine up to your ear.

You should hear a faint electronic sound. I'm starting to think it's the machine keeping the RAM refreshed, because it never turns off.

Anyway, I'm think maybe I should consider it "normal" and buy AppleCare in the meantime!

oldschool
Oct 20, 2003, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by joelc73
So now I'm REALLY confused...

For those that don't hear it; close the lid and literally put the bottom of the machine up to your ear.

You should hear a faint electronic sound. I'm starting to think it's the machine keeping the RAM refreshed, because it never turns off.

Anyway, I'm think maybe I should consider it "normal" and buy AppleCare in the meantime!

Thats what I did.

It is annoying when i'm trying to study though, it becomes very noticeable.

codemother
Oct 20, 2003, 07:01 AM
And I don't have to put my ear to the machine - I can hear from a couple of feet away when it is quiet. Annoying.

russgra
Oct 20, 2003, 07:32 AM
when mine is plugged in it makes a noise near the back right, but only when plugged in to power.