PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air: Nice, or Ew?

mrat93
Jan 13, 2008, 01:14 PM
I personally hate the name "MacBook Air." So what's your opinion on the name?

Eric Lewis
Jan 13, 2008, 01:15 PM

I LOVE IT

Snips
Jan 13, 2008, 01:21 PM
I think it's fine, and has grown on me the past few days.

Will be strengthened if there's justification in the product spec, i.e. completely wireless.

If it's just a lightweight MacBook, I would prefer MacBook Nano.

tkidBOSTON
Jan 13, 2008, 01:31 PM
I think the name is terrible but if its an amazing product they can call it whatever they want.

MicBook
Jan 13, 2008, 01:32 PM
I'll have to see the thing first it could go either way for me

ilflyya
Jan 13, 2008, 01:39 PM
Sounds like an athletic shoe to me. Maybe I lack vision, but I'd have no use for such a device, but it is cool that apple is capable of such a thing. When solid state gets up to 160G, then I'll pay attention.

AirmanPika
Jan 14, 2008, 02:27 PM
Well Apple and Nike DO have a good working agreement...

Shaduu
Jan 14, 2008, 03:01 PM
I'm afraid it's grown on me over the last couple of days so I don't really mind what it's called as long as it's ultraportable. :D

bushman1
Jan 14, 2008, 03:05 PM
dose anyone remember apple's patent to build cell cards and receivers into the back of a monitor in a laptop to reduce RF interference.

karenflower
Jan 14, 2008, 03:59 PM
I think it's a beautiful name! :) No negative connotations for me, it sounds clean and pure and simple. :cool::apple::D

GeekLawyer
Jan 14, 2008, 04:01 PM
I've heard worse...

If it's a real product and an actual name, it will grow on us and we'll come to love it.

caj
Jan 14, 2008, 04:03 PM
it is nice, but i want to know what is in it. "something is in the AIR"

Dimwhit
Jan 14, 2008, 04:04 PM
I seem to recall a bunch of complaining when Apple went to the MacBook and MacBook Pro names. But we're all used to it now. I'm not worried.

iSee
Jan 14, 2008, 04:10 PM
EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^ Yes, exactly ^^^^^^^^^ Pretty much everyone likes MB and MBP now because they are pretty nice machines...

The name doesn't matter much; it's all about what it can let me do.

PlaceofDis
Jan 14, 2008, 04:11 PM
i'm reserving final judgment until i see a product.

Dimwhit
Jan 14, 2008, 04:23 PM
i'm reserving final judgment until i see a product.

Exactly. They can call it MacBook Turd for all I care. If it's a great product, it will sell well.

LizKat
Jan 14, 2008, 05:35 PM

I loathe it. And you may have noticed that it rhymes with VAPORWARE.

Decrepit
Jan 14, 2008, 05:48 PM
I loathe it. And you may have noticed that it rhymes with VAPORWARE.

In what language? If it was the "Mayp or Fair", you might have had something.

:)

marclapierre13
Jan 14, 2008, 05:57 PM
Might as well call it the "MacBook Crap"

...incase you didnt get that, I think the name sucks:rolleyes:

anotherarunan
Jan 14, 2008, 06:03 PM
yeah i hate it too, and for that reason believe that the rumoured notebook will NOT be called "macbook air"...just doesnt go with the other mac-endings (pro,mini,nano,classic,etc)

karenflower
Jan 15, 2008, 05:09 AM
I don't get it when people use the argument that it doesn't follow existing product naming rules - Apple is about innovation, right?

It sounds perfectly plausible to me. :)

MacinDoc
Jan 15, 2008, 05:15 AM
Put me down for eww.

thefunkymunky
Jan 15, 2008, 05:21 AM
Maybe Apple aren't releasing a MacBook Air? Maybe the "There's something in the air" refers to Apple iTunes Rentals and the new sub-notebook will be called MacBook nano. The new updated Mac mini is to be relaunched as a Mac nano just like the iPod mini was. Just a suggestion. ;)

sunfast
Jan 15, 2008, 05:23 AM
What's in a name? (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/305250.html)

goldenlotus
Jan 15, 2008, 05:44 AM
I think it's fine, and has grown on me the past few days.

Will be strengthened if there's justification in the product spec, i.e. completely wireless.

If it's just a lightweight MacBook, I would prefer MacBook Nano.

Yep at first I thought sounded kind of silly but now I've grown to like it. I could definitly see Apple using the name.

aswitcher
Jan 15, 2008, 05:48 AM
Names fine. I really hope the product is good and affordable..

koshper
Jan 15, 2008, 06:17 AM
I love that since a banner said "there's something in the air" people have assumed that it's gonna be called macbook air, well there were other words in that ad such as 'something', what about

'macbook something, why use nothing, when you can use something . . . in an elevator'

if it is the macbook air then surely the ad implies that there's something in the macbook air that's out of the ordinary and a slim bezel, very few sockets and ssd isn't out of the ordinary.

what does everyone else think about this?

still think 'Macbook Something' would be cool

mrat93
Jan 16, 2008, 06:18 PM
To anybody who said no, since Apple has officially announced it, do you like it now? I do!

jackc
Jan 16, 2008, 06:23 PM
Exactly. They can call it MacBook Turd for all I care. If it's a great product, it will sell well.

I would be more likely to buy it if it was called the Turd. Even better a laser engraved picture of a turd with the Apple logo in it.