PDA

View Full Version : Macheist bundle 2008

Pages : [1] 2

iPoodOverZune
Jan 8, 2008, 11:49 PM
Macheist bundle of this year is posted

http://www.macheist.com/

Some of the apps are pretty good in the bundle like snapz pro, appzapper, 1password, etc. But then I already have them except iStopMotion. ;)

other choices are just craps. Awaken?! :rolleyes:

ezekielrage_99
Jan 8, 2008, 11:53 PM
I bought the MacUpdate Promo which I thought was much better value, however I might consider buying the MacHeist pack if Pixelmator is unlocked otherwise I wont consider it.

Most of the applications on MacHeist seem to be a little useless.....

iPoodOverZune
Jan 9, 2008, 12:01 AM
I bought the MacUpdate Promo which I thought was much better value, however I might consider buying the MacHeist pack if Pixelmator is unlocked otherwise I wont consider it.

Most of the applications on MacHeist seem to be a little useless.....

Actually, appzapper, Snapzpro and Pixelmator may justify the price. These three are pretty good. 1password, iStopMotion are okay. (1password was free from Macworld just a while back; may be still).

ezekielrage_99
Jan 9, 2008, 12:10 AM
If Pixelmator is unlocked it would justify the price however with the current applications I can't really justify spending the money now.

r88my
Jan 9, 2008, 04:09 PM
Although the apps aren't for everyone and i prob won't be using all of them, i still bought the bundle as the deal was too good to turn down for the price. If you consider pixelmator is $59 alone, it s kind of worth it if you were on the fence about buying it. I think the macheist bundle is better than the macupdate bundle IMHO which i also bought.

If you took part in the heists preceding the bundle you would have got it for $39 instead, and picked up a couple of free apps along the way (albeit not upgradable) such as voice candy or sofa control, which i would never have normally bought but were interesting to poke around with :)

EDIT If you purchase more than one bundle at the same time, you get a discount. I.E. 1 bundle = $49. 2 = $78, 3 = $98, so it might be worth buddying up with friends to get it for even cheaper. $33 for a bundle is quite good!

jstad
Jan 9, 2008, 04:12 PM
I purchased this for Cha-Ching 2.0 license and beta access. Also the fact that it is for a good cause (indie developers and also charitable foundations) :)

andiwm2003
Jan 9, 2008, 04:14 PM
snapz pro and pixelmator seem to be worth it for me.

r88my
Jan 9, 2008, 04:15 PM
I purchased this for Cha-Ching 2.0 license and beta access. Also the fact that it is for a good cause (indie developers and also charitable foundations) :)

I think the charity aspect is very good. Also the developer thing, the past year or so (since i switched from windows) I have been blown away with the quality of shareware available for mac.

ezekielrage_99
Jan 9, 2008, 05:05 PM
snapz pro and pixelmator seem to be worth it for me.

But they haven't been unlocked yet, I do know and understand that it's for some very good causes however until Pixelmator is unlocked I probably wont be buying yet...

Queso
Jan 9, 2008, 05:07 PM
I see the usual cycle of an app I've just purchased being immediately included in a bundle or ten continues :rolleyes:

Oh well, Pixelmator is still worth the money on its own.

r88my
Jan 9, 2008, 05:09 PM
But they haven't been unlocked yet, I do know and understand that it's for some very good causes however until Pixelmator is unlocked I probably wont be buying yet...

Problem is, for everyone sitting on the fence who are waiting for certain apps to be unlocked before committing to buy, if everyone does it they won't be unlocked!

ezekielrage_99
Jan 9, 2008, 05:12 PM
Problem is, for everyone sitting on the fence who are waiting for certain apps to be unlocked before committing to buy, if everyone does it they won't be unlocked!

I agree, but there's still 14 days left and only 2,226 copies sold.

Stitzu
Jan 9, 2008, 05:13 PM
I'm not familiar with how this actually works, so when will the other applications actually become "unlocked"? :confused:

r88my
Jan 9, 2008, 05:14 PM
I think the relevant totals will still be reached, after all i think its been around 24 hours now and they're passed the 2000 sales mark.

I'm not familiar with how this actually works, so when will the other applications actually become "unlocked"? :confused:

The first app (CSS Edit) will be unlocked once 5000 sales have been reached, the subsequent two locked apps will also be unlocked at some point but the details haven't been released yet as to how many sales need to be reached :)

ezekielrage_99
Jan 9, 2008, 05:29 PM
Usually for the first unlock it's 5,000, then 7,500 then over 10,000, this could change however depending on sales.

Does anyone have a list (or link) for last years MacHeist software list and more to the point if all applications were unlocked?

r88my
Jan 9, 2008, 05:34 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the last bundle was completely unlocked. There is a list here:

http://www.macheist.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=90049

decksnap
Jan 9, 2008, 05:47 PM
Are these dinks going to fulfill their commitment to My Dream App one of these years? What a debacle. Maybe less time heisting, more time doin' the right thing?

ezekielrage_99
Jan 9, 2008, 06:07 PM
Are these dinks going to fulfill their commitment to My Dream App one of these years? What a debacle. Maybe less time heisting, more time doin' the right thing?

Wasn't there some "issue" with some of the MacHeist application serial numbers last year (e.g. some of them not working)?

MacBytes
Jan 9, 2008, 06:13 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Deals and Coupons
Link: MacHeist II Bundle: Up to 10 Apps. 1password, CoverSutra, Cha-Ching, Snapz Pro, Pixelmator, CSSEdit and more.... for $49. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080109191343)
Description:: Some items are subject to sales thresholds.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by arn

decksnap
Jan 9, 2008, 06:31 PM
Wasn't there some "issue" with some of the MacHeist application serial numbers last year (e.g. some of them not working)?

I don't know. There was also the whole 'screwing over the developers (http://daringfireball.net/2006/12/iniquities_of_the_selfish)' thing, and the meltdown and lack of holding up their end of the bargain on My Dream App. Frankly I'm not impressed with anything Phyll Ryu has done 'for the Mac community.'

Moof1904
Jan 9, 2008, 06:32 PM
Has anyone here used Cha-Ching? I'd be happy to find a replacement for Quicken. I'm not particularly fond of giving Intuit my money.

superleccy
Jan 9, 2008, 06:32 PM
I much preferred the MacUpdate bundle.

I'd have bought it for Pixelmator if I didn't already have Pixelmator, and if Pixelmator was mature enough to be useful.

SL

P-Worm
Jan 9, 2008, 07:05 PM
This is the first application bundle that I am seriously thinking about getting. A few of the apps would be really useful for me, especially if the last three are released. I'm looking at CSS edit in particular. I might just drop the money on this one.

P-Worm

NATO
Jan 9, 2008, 07:36 PM
If Pixelmator is unlocked, I'm in, otherwise I'll pass :)

Xtoo
Jan 9, 2008, 07:55 PM
Snapz Pro X is worth the whole package....

PlaceofDis
Jan 9, 2008, 07:56 PM
i went ahead and got it. its not a lot of cash and it has some pretty useful apps in it. i was planning on getting 1password at some point and cha-ching so that made it worthwhile for me.

speakerwizard
Jan 9, 2008, 08:20 PM
so do the others 'unlock' if they sell more or have they already locked due to the amount sold? im insterested but only in all of them.

Sky Blue
Jan 9, 2008, 08:22 PM
so do the others 'unlock' if they sell more or have they already locked due to the amount sold? im insterested but only in all of them.

They unlock when they sell a certain amount.

speakerwizard
Jan 9, 2008, 08:25 PM
ah, may do it then. did they reach the goal last time?

ezekielrage_99
Jan 9, 2008, 08:55 PM
I don't know. There was also the whole 'screwing over the developers (http://daringfireball.net/2006/12/iniquities_of_the_selfish)' thing, and the meltdown and lack of holding up their end of the bargain on My Dream App. Frankly I'm not impressed with anything Phyll Ryu has done 'for the Mac community.'

Yeah I tend to agree, if they MacHeist is like that I'm probably better off not supporting it and just buying Pixelmator separately.

aaronw1986
Jan 9, 2008, 09:09 PM
If Pixelmator is unlocked, I'm in, otherwise I'll pass :)

If everyone has this mentality, it won't get unlocked. Everyone just needs to buy, and then it will become unlocked.

shadowfax
Jan 9, 2008, 09:36 PM
they sometimes have to extend the sale to meet the goal, but they usually do that, even if they have met the goal. It's a trick, I guess, but fun enough. I bought in for the first mac update promo. It was worth it, I'd say.

iMacBook
Jan 9, 2008, 09:56 PM
I can already get them all for free. :rolleyes:

ezekielrage_99
Jan 9, 2008, 10:54 PM
I can already get them all for free. :rolleyes:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c0/Pirate_Flag_of_Rack_Rackham.svg/744px-Pirate_Flag_of_Rack_Rackham.svg.png

Yearrghh me hearties?

nslyax
Jan 9, 2008, 11:39 PM
I'm glad it goes for 2 weeks. My iBook wouldn't be able to run any of those apps, but whatever I order on the 15th should be able to. Will likely buy the bundle then.

ezekielrage_99
Jan 9, 2008, 11:51 PM
they sometimes have to extend the sale to meet the goal, but they usually do that, even if they have met the goal. It's a trick, I guess, but fun enough. I bought in for the first mac update promo. It was worth it, I'd say.

I bought the last MacUpdatePromo bundle and that did turn out to be fantastic value I ended up with 14 applications for USD$49.99.

aspro
Jan 10, 2008, 04:36 AM
I bought it for Cha-Ching, CSS Edit and Pixelmator. I'll probably end up using TaskPaper but I was very impressed with the Things beta so far so I'm unsure.

Jimmdean
Jan 10, 2008, 08:58 AM
I think it's pretty shoddy that they didn't pre-announce all 3 unlock levels. Doing it the way they did allows them to set them wherever they please after-the-fact to drum up more sales. Cheap!!!

DaveF
Jan 10, 2008, 12:15 PM
Anyone know if SnapZPro and iStopMotion are the current versions? There's now an iStopMotion 2, but MacHeist doesn't specifically note if v2 what's in the bundle.

If the whole shebang is unlocked, I might buy for Pixelmator, iStopMotion and SnapzPro. I don't need any of these, but having them for the rare use would be handy.

As for buying before they're unlocked, well, I'm not usually inclined to pay money without knowing if I'll get what I paid for :) I'll let others take the risk and buy later perhaps.

Jack Flash
Jan 10, 2008, 12:31 PM
Does Cha-Ching include a free upgrade to 2.0 when it is released?

iPoodOverZune
Jan 10, 2008, 02:03 PM
Anyone know if SnapZPro and iStopMotion are the current versions? There's now an iStopMotion 2, but MacHeist doesn't specifically note if v2 what's in the bundle.

If the whole shebang is unlocked, I might buy for Pixelmator, iStopMotion and SnapzPro. I don't need any of these, but having them for the rare use would be handy.

As for buying before they're unlocked, well, I'm not usually inclined to pay money without knowing if I'll get what I paid for :) I'll let others take the risk and buy later perhaps.

SnapzPro, Pixelmator and iStopMotion seem to be the best of bunch. When will they get unlocked. I hope they post the limits on Macheist. Although they are quickly reaching the 5000 mark (3457 at present) :)

Jack Flash
Jan 10, 2008, 03:05 PM
Hey, look, they just added SpeedDownload. If they get SRS iWow 2.x in there I will be a happy camper.

I'm going to go ahead and purchase it. Good bundle, 25% going to charity.

iPoodOverZune
Jan 10, 2008, 03:50 PM
And...I just pulled the trigger. :)
and got xslimmer from the loot free. Wow.

This package is much better than macupdate one.

ezekielrage_99
Jan 10, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hey, look, they just added SpeedDownload. If they get SRS iWow 2.x in there I will be a happy camper.

I doubt very much if SRS iWOW would be added because they did say last year they wouldn't be participating in another MacHeist and they were a part of MacUpdate.

I wish MacHeist did add Coda rather than CSSedit, I think Coda would have made the package perfect.

r88my
Jan 10, 2008, 04:53 PM

Deal is slightly better with that. I doubt that SRS IWOW will be included as it was included in the recent macupdate promo, but you never know. I mentioned it earlier in the thread but i'll add it in again, if you purchase more than one bundle at the same time they give you a discount (e.g. 3 bundles comes to around $33 per bundle). Might save some of you some money :)

stockcerts
Jan 10, 2008, 04:59 PM

This is exactly how I feel about this product offering. I would never buy any software that doesn't come full featured. If you're paying for it, their should be a full activation code. I may buy one or two of the individual applications and pay full price and be assured that I can use all of its functionality.

decksnap
Jan 10, 2008, 05:02 PM
I wish MacHeist did add Coda rather than CSSedit, I think Coda would have made the package perfect.

CSSEdit is an awesome app though.

r88my
Jan 10, 2008, 05:04 PM

iStopmotion is version 2 (using right now) and as for snapzpro, i dont know but if you download the demo and check about it will show you the version number :)

Jack Flash
Jan 10, 2008, 05:37 PM
Why does there seem to be some hostility towards MacHeist?

r88my
Jan 10, 2008, 06:06 PM
Does Cha-Ching include a free upgrade to 2.0 when it is released?

According to the developers on the macheist forums, yes :)

ezekielrage_99
Jan 10, 2008, 06:18 PM
CSSEdit is an awesome app though.

It is very good but lately I've been trialing a demo of Coda which IMHO is slightly better and looks nicer.

ezekielrage_99
Jan 10, 2008, 06:27 PM
Why does there seem to be some hostility towards MacHeist?

Well in a nutshell it's basically because a lot of people feel that the operators of MacHeist ripped of the developers last year and paid them a pittance for their applications.

http://closethesafe.blogspot.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macheist
http://rhymeswithgeek.com/blogs/someone_else/archive/2007/11/28/boycott-mac-heist-it-really-is-that-simple.aspx

iMacBook
Jan 10, 2008, 08:55 PM
Yearrghh me hearties?

I don't know what you are talking about. :p

GoCubsGo
Jan 10, 2008, 09:05 PM
Wasn't appzapper already free?

reubs
Jan 10, 2008, 09:28 PM
Wasn't appzapper already free?

I think you are thinking of the equally-useful UApp. It appears to do the same thing w/o the fancy "zap!" effect.

decksnap
Jan 10, 2008, 09:36 PM
Well in a nutshell it's basically because a lot of people feel that the operators of MacHeist ripped of the developers last year and paid them a pittance for their applications.

That and they are the same that ran My Dream App- a contest where hundreds of people forked over their best ideas for apps in return for the best three getting developed into real applications. Before they even began making the apps, they were promoting MacHeist. And after the initial buzz of picking the winners died down, and after garnering all the publicity that came from it (and channeling it into Macheist), Ryu and friends decided it wasn't worth the effort to actually make the apps. You can see tumbleweeds blowing across the My Dream App home page. This was IMO the original Mac heist.

Mac In School
Jan 10, 2008, 10:31 PM
Once Snapz Pro is available, I'll make the purchase to do my part to help y'all get PixelMator.

ezekielrage_99
Jan 10, 2008, 10:45 PM
I don't know what you are talking about. :p

What can I say I'm an old time Windows user... as soon as I hear free and software together I think of one thing, avast ye maties ;)

devilot
Jan 11, 2008, 02:33 AM
I see the usual cycle of an app I've just purchased being immediately included in a bundle or ten continues :rolleyes:

Oh well, Pixelmator is still worth the money on its own.Darn you. Just because I saw that you wrote this, I had to go and look at Pixelmator. I gotta admit, it looks pretty sweet. And it's quite a bit more affordable than CS3. :p

Count me in as another who's eagerly watching to see at what level Snapz Pro will unlock... *tempted*

spaceballl
Jan 11, 2008, 02:59 AM
I already bought macheist and the only reason I did it was for Pixelmator. I encourage all your Pixelmator-waiters to go and buy macheist immediately. If everyone waits, we'll never get it!

And, if worst case scenario we didn't get pixelmator, well at least we donated lots of $ to charity...

Just my two cents!

jhande
Jan 11, 2008, 04:03 AM
Well I went ahead and bought (mainly for Cha-Ching, CSSEdit and Pixelmator). Everything has gone smoothly, except: Cha-Ching. No license has been sent, no response from MacHeist or Midnight Apps support. Browsing the MH and MA forums, seems like they are having problems. Hope they sort it out soon.

Apart from that, a relatively worthy bundle.

Abstract
Jan 11, 2008, 05:52 AM
I thought the recent MacUpdate bundle was better. A To-Do list, password handler, and alarm clock!?! SNOOOOOZE.

I can see why Cha-ching and SnapzPro X are popular. CSSEdit also seems interesting for some people (like myself). I don't know why Cha-ching retails alone for $40, but anyway....

Pixelmator is probably not as good as PS Elements 6.0, nor can it handle RAW files. It's not as powerful as Elements in any way, and yet Elements 6 doesn't cost much more than Pixelmator.

If everyone has this mentality, it won't get unlocked. Everyone just needs to buy, and then it will become unlocked.

Yes, except that they always unlock the apps. :o

I think they or MU were once short of their goal, and yet unlocked all the apps as a good gesture and a sign of generosity to all the people who purchased the bundle. And as a 2nd gift, they kept the sale running for another 3 or 5 days to let more people take advantage of the fantastic bundle! (ie: so they could entice the people who were sitting on the fence and waiting for an app to unlock to open their wallets, thus maximizing profits).

It's so generous for them to unlock everything and extend the sale (like they always do). It just means you don't need to worry about the apps staying locked. ;)

I don't think they'd leave apps locked. Otherwise, the people who regularly purchase these bundles, and those people who promote the bundle through word of mouth (like in this thread), will have something to badmouth in threads like this one. It's just bad publicity that will hurt them badly, and they'd get less interest from n00bs because the old-timers will recall how they didn't get the entire bundle last time.

Darn you. Just because I saw that you wrote this, I had to go and look at Pixelmator. I gotta admit, it looks pretty sweet. And it's quite a bit more affordable than CS3. :p

But Photoshop Elements 6.0 is probably better. :o Also, Elements can open RAW files.

dalvin200
Jan 11, 2008, 06:05 AM
just bought mine..

speed download and pixelmator was what i was really after - the rest are a bonus :)

sunfast
Jan 11, 2008, 08:00 AM
As many others have said, if Pixelmator is unlocked I'm in. As regards it not getting unlocked by people sitting on the fence I'd rather risk that than the alternative!

devilot
Jan 11, 2008, 09:21 AM
Pixelmator is probably not as good as PS Elements 6.0, nor can it handle RAW files. It's not as powerful as Elements in any way, and yet Elements 6 doesn't cost much more than Pixelmator. Doesn't cost much more than $50 + other apps I might use (at least Snapz Pro). ;)

As for RAW, have you ever seen me posting about my dSLR? No? That's probably because I don't have one. Oh wait! Hold on a sec! I don't even have a digital camera-- unless you count the iPhone (ha!) or built in iSight. So RAW is the least of my concerns.

bartelby
Jan 11, 2008, 09:33 AM
Pixelmator is probably not as good as PS Elements 6.0, nor can it handle RAW files. It's not as powerful as Elements in any way, and yet Elements 6 doesn't cost much more than Pixelmator.

But Photoshop Elements 6.0 is probably better. :o Also, Elements can open RAW files.

But some people only need to do resize and some simple image editing. Pixelmator would be my first choice if I didn't have Photoshop.

Once Pixelmator has a couple of years of development under it's belt I'll drop Photoshop.

There's a growing number of people out there who don't want to buy grossly over priced products from companies like Adobe. I'm looking more and more for open source products or well made cheaper stuff. I've donated about 100 to Blender so far and I'll always pay for shareware if I still use it past the trial

P-Worm
Jan 11, 2008, 10:42 AM
I bought the package. It looks like CSS is almost unlocked. We should be able t get it in a few hours I bet.

As an aside, does anyone have their Cha-Ching key yet? That was one of the applications that I was most interested in.

P-Worm

Mac In School
Jan 11, 2008, 11:29 AM
I am not a fan of this type of promotion. I'd rather see them do it the other way around, and only sell the upper-end apps to the first X number of people. Sort of a "limited quantities" type of thing. The way it is, it's like they're penalizing people for jumping on it early.

Not to mention that I could have easily purchased it, not knowing what those little locks meant. If not for this thread, I might not have figured it out.

PlaceofDis
Jan 11, 2008, 11:38 AM
I bought the package. It looks like CSS is almost unlocked. We should be able t get it in a few hours I bet.

As an aside, does anyone have their Cha-Ching key yet? That was one of the applications that I was most interested in.

P-Worm

i don't and its been over 24 hours. i'm guessing that with the huge influx of purchases its causing issues. not surprising.

iPoodOverZune
Jan 11, 2008, 12:52 PM
I thought the recent MacUpdate bundle was better. A To-Do list, password handler, and alarm clock!?! SNOOOOOZE.

I can see why Cha-ching and SnapzPro X are popular. CSSEdit also seems interesting for some people (like myself). I don't know why Cha-ching retails alone for $40, but anyway....

Yes, except that they always unlock the apps. :o

I think they or MU were once short of their goal, and yet unlocked all the apps as a good gesture and a sign of generosity to all the people who purchased the bundle. And as a 2nd gift, they kept the sale running for another 3 or 5 days to let more people take advantage of the fantastic bundle! (ie: so they could entice the people who were sitting on the fence and waiting for an app to unlock to open their wallets, thus maximizing profits).

It's so generous for them to unlock everything and extend the sale (like they always do). It just means you don't need to worry about the apps staying locked. ;)

I don't think they'd leave apps locked. Otherwise, the people who regularly purchase these bundles, and those people who promote the bundle through word of mouth (like in this thread), will have something to badmouth in threads like this one. It's just bad publicity that will hurt them badly, and they'd get less interest from n00bs because the old-timers will recall how they didn't get the entire bundle last time.

It may be personal opinion but none of the MU bundle had any high rated apps like snapzpro, pixelmator in it. Useful but not that great apps in MU. MH seems to be far better deal. But then again its personal choice.

Snapzpro has been consistently ranked as top notch app in its category of image and video capture. About a year or so back, I kind of tested almost all apps in its category and found none to match snapzpro's snappiness and elegant way of working. Video capture was particularly bad on most other apps.

Photoshop elements 4.0 (now 6.0) is good, except that for the starter in this area, who occasionally uses for correcting and exporting images, or for editing better than iPhoto, it is little too much or too confusing. Pixelmator is simple for that. Although I do agree, its price point should have been about $39 (against $89 for PE6.0). But still its an excellent app in its category. I can seriously see selling them more if they adjust the price better.

Has any MR user used Cha-Ching before? How does it fair well against Quicken? :confused:

iPoodOverZune
Jan 11, 2008, 12:57 PM
i don't and its been over 24 hours. i'm guessing that with the huge influx of purchases its causing issues. not surprising.

You mean like screwing up developers episode like last time? :(

I agree they must unlock all apps even if they sell less, as a goodwill to those who bought. But then again, MH people seem to have lot of tussle among themselves like that My dream app and last year episode. From the current status, it looks they will unlock snapzpro by 10000 and pixelmator by 20000 (last year they sold 16000 and they have set a higher target this time they say). But I heard on the irc channel that like last time they will re-estimate the whole scenario and unlock earlier.

Its still 12 days to go. Lets see!
:)

devilot
Jan 11, 2008, 01:04 PM
Hm, now it's on to Snapz Pro. The next "goal" is to hit $100K for charity, at 25% of $49, that's approx. $12.25 per bundle. So they're looking for another 3,616 bundles purchased.

If I did my math correctly. :o Which is doubtful as I suck at math.

PlaceofDis
Jan 11, 2008, 01:07 PM
You mean like screwing up developers episode like last time? :(

how do they screw up developers?
the developers sign on for it, they aren't forced into it. its their choice in the end, and gains them exposure and new customers.

Sky Blue
Jan 11, 2008, 01:10 PM
Has any MR user used Cha-Ching before? How does it fair well against Quicken? :confused:

I would recommend Cha-Ching. The current version (1.2.2) is very flakey. I'm interested in what the v2 beta is like.

If you're looking for a finance app I would wait for the end of Jan when iBank 3 is supposed to be out.

P-Worm
Jan 11, 2008, 01:38 PM
CSSEdit is now unlocked. The next milestone for SnapzPro is to raise $100,000 for charity. Right now we are about halfway there. The next step seems a bit steep to me. I wonder how much it will be for Pixelmator?

P-Worm

iPoodOverZune
Jan 11, 2008, 02:05 PM
how do they screw up developers?
the developers sign on for it, they aren't forced into it. its their choice in the end, and gains them exposure and new customers.

See post #21 on this thread.

I agree that it's the developer's choice in the end. But I guess it will be more encouraging for the developers to come forth if they had a percentage of share (assuming they are doing the same thing this time, i.e., pay lump sum amount to developers). That way, better apps could be on the bundle if developers could make more profit. Right now, reading these MH and MU threads, it seems this is perhaps like the album thing where you buy all the songs for one or two good songs.

Last time, MH raised 200,000 for charity and had collected about 800,000 on ~16800 copies sold. And the rumor goes they paid like $5000-$15000 to the developers. So by that token ~60% goes to Macheist (and about 10-15% to developers).

What is the reason Macrumors don't actively promote MH when they did so for MU, on their front page?! (though it is there on the mac deals).

spaceballl
Jan 11, 2008, 02:11 PM
I do monthly budgets carefully w/ my personal finance. To be honest, I think Cha Ching sucks! I bought it right when it came out because the screenshots looked great, but it is much more of a pain in the ass than just doing a spreadsheet - maybe the next version will be better!

As many others have said, if Pixelmator is unlocked I'm in. As regards it not getting unlocked by people sitting on the fence I'd rather risk that than the alternative!
I think I would have sat on the fence, too, but the fact that it's all going to charity put me over the fence. C'mon, dude... give a little...

Mac In School
Jan 12, 2008, 12:26 AM
Okay, so I've re-thought this, and realize I may not understand it correctly.

When something gets "unlocked" do the pre-unlocked purchasers get the unlocked software too, or is it just for the people who buy after it's unlocked?

Thanks.

devilot
Jan 12, 2008, 12:37 AM
Everybody gets the unlocked apps-- regardless of whether you purchased the bundle before or after it was unlocked. :)

spaceballl
Jan 12, 2008, 12:43 AM
Okay, so I've re-thought this, and realize I may not understand it correctly.

When something gets "unlocked" do the pre-unlocked purchasers get the unlocked software too, or is it just for the people who buy after it's unlocked?

Thanks.
Everyone gets everything that gets unlocked. For example, I purchased before CSSEdit was unlocked. I also received a link to go to once it got unlocked - I followed the link and grabbed my serial.

Mac In School
Jan 12, 2008, 12:43 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Okay. Now I feel much better about the whole thing. I was thinking the first X number of buyers got screwed out of the "good" stuff.

I'll go ahead and buy it, just to help the cause. The only thing I really want is 1Password anyway. :) Not a fan of Pixelmator, and Snaps Pro X doesn't work for me. Tried for hours last night.

skeen
Jan 12, 2008, 02:49 AM
I bought it, and I love it - using a whole bunch of the apps right now. Speed Download is very good, CoverSutra is surprisingly useful, CSSEdit I know I am going to find indispensable, 1passwd is great (and I love the iPhone sync feature!).

If Pixelmator gets unlocked, that will be super sweet. But, for those programs aforementioned alone, it's more than worth it. I haven't tried Cha-Ching yet, but that looks like a great app - and I think I might find that useful.

Celeron
Jan 12, 2008, 08:08 AM
Picked this up yesterday. So far I've only spent time with 1Passwd. Very cool program. I didn't like it initialy, but now that I've figured it out, I think its very good. I've actually deleted all my saved passwords from my browser and now use 1Passwd to populate the necessary fields. I also configured the keychain to log automatically after 5 minutes. This keeps all my information a lot more secure than just saving them in the browser.

Still waiting on the Cha-Ching key. Was interested in this app previously but I couldn't justify spending $40 just for one app. With it being part of this bundle it was hard to pass it up.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 12, 2008, 08:13 AM
I've actually deleted all my saved passwords from my browser and now use 1Passwd to populate the necessary fields.
Do you know if it allows for multiple username/passwords to be associated with the same page? Particularly in Camino?

Firefox, Netscape and Safari allows this, but for some insane reason, Camino doesn't. (And this is one of the main deal breakers for me when it comes to Camino.)

pjrobertson
Jan 12, 2008, 08:44 AM
Do you know if it allows for multiple username/passwords to be associated with the same page? Particularly in Camino?

Firefox, Netscape and Safari allows this, but for some insane reason, Camino doesn't. (And this is one of the main deal breakers for me when it comes to Camino.)

Yep, it does. Hit the keyboard shortcut (cmd + \) and a box will pop up asking you which account to sign into.

Remember you can always try the demo, so you'll be able to answer all the questions yourself :)

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 12, 2008, 09:22 AM
Yep, it does. Hit the keyboard shortcut (cmd + \) and a box will pop up asking you which account to sign into.Thanks... :)

Remember you can always try the demo, so you'll be able to answer all the questions yourself :)I thought of that, but didn't want to mess with my current set up (even if I do special backups of my browser profiles and the login keychain every now and then, it's a bother to set them back up if anything new frells them up, and I do 99% of my work online, so I need those in working order).

I also went to the 1password web page, and even though it did mention Camino it didn't actually mention anything about multiple usernames/passwords on the page (at first glance, anyway).

So I went here instead, where people might actually have tried it and could confirm if it actually worked, and not finding anything mentioned about it, I asked.

I trust this side more than a random Google search.

r88my
Jan 12, 2008, 09:42 AM
See post #21 on this thread.

I agree that it's the developer's choice in the end. But I guess it will be more encouraging for the developers to come forth if they had a percentage of share (assuming they are doing the same thing this time, i.e., pay lump sum amount to developers). That way, better apps could be on the bundle if developers could make more profit. Right now, reading these MH and MU threads, it seems this is perhaps like the album thing where you buy all the songs for one or two good songs.

Last time, MH raised 200,000 for charity and had collected about 800,000 on ~16800 copies sold. And the rumor goes they paid like $5000-$15000 to the developers. So by that token ~60% goes to Macheist (and about 10-15% to developers).

I think the whole macheist thing is great and I haven't got a problem with it as at the end of the day its up to the developers to decide if its a good deal for them or not. However if these figures are true, then I am a little concerned that they (macheist) are making too much money for just being "middle men" so to speak, fair enough, they are due a cut for the hard work they've put in to putting it all together. The developers should be paid according to how many bundles are sold (not a flat fee), after all thats what makes the bundle worth buying. I guess we'll never really know the true facts/figures. For me, supporting mac developers is the most important thing to come out of this.

spaceballl
Jan 12, 2008, 10:40 AM
Still waiting on the Cha-Ching key. Was interested in this app previously but I couldn't justify spending $40 just for one app. With it being part of this bundle it was hard to pass it up.
I'm very curious to hear what you think about cha ching - I bought it before but to be honest, I found that the pretty interface ended up being more difficult to use than a simple spreadsheet for budgeting / expense tracking

Mac In School
Jan 12, 2008, 11:12 AM
Purchase complete.

Best of luck to all those awaiting Snapz and Pixelmator unlocks.

Celeron
Jan 12, 2008, 04:43 PM
I'm very curious to hear what you think about cha ching - I bought it before but to be honest, I found that the pretty interface ended up being more difficult to use than a simple spreadsheet for budgeting / expense tracking

I'm still learning the interface. So far I can't enter transactions as quickly as I can in Microsoft Money (via VMware Fusion) but I suspect once I get some more time with it that will improve. I'm going to double enter all the transactions here for a bit and decide which one I'm going to keep using.

Supposedly with this bundle we're getting serials numbers for version 2.0, which from the screenshots, appears to have quite a few nice additions.

phillryu
Jan 12, 2008, 06:19 PM
I think the whole macheist thing is great and I haven't got a problem with it as at the end of the day its up to the developers to decide if its a good deal for them or not. However if these figures are true, then I am a little concerned that they (macheist) are making too much money for just being "middle men" so to speak, fair enough, they are due a cut for the hard work they've put in to putting it all together. The developers should be paid according to how many bundles are sold (not a flat fee), after all thats what makes the bundle worth buying. I guess we'll never really know the true facts/figures. For me, supporting mac developers is the most important thing to come out of this.

Those figures were estimations/guesses and are way low.

Has it ever occurred to you guys that we took on all the financial risk last year with an initiative that, without precedence, none of us could really estimate sales for? And when the sale did well beyond our expectations, we fulfilled a promise of a bonus to the developers, doubling their payments.

But whatever, MacHeist is evil, blablablabla :P

decksnap
Jan 12, 2008, 06:36 PM
MacHeist is evil, blablablabla :P

Hey you said it. What about My Dream App? Not important enough to you anymore?

phillryu
Jan 12, 2008, 07:01 PM
Hey you said it. What about My Dream App? Not important enough to you anymore?

No. I admit we have had development hell going on for the past year, but I have committed to reviving this after MacHeist 2 here (http://mydreamapp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1855).

iPoodOverZune
Jan 12, 2008, 11:34 PM

Has it ever occurred to you guys that we took on all the financial risk last year with an initiative that, without precedence, none of us could really estimate sales for? And when the sale did well beyond our expectations, we fulfilled a promise of a bonus to the developers, doubling their payments.

I don't think MH is evil, nor do I have any evidence for that, but money is something that has the capability of bringing that out from anyone.

I would be very happy to see developer's being supported well and encouraged for not only more of such ventures but improving their apps, now that they have another venue of big audience and financial support. I could get the serials or patches for many of these apps from crooked sources but I would rather support these developers who come up with some excellent apps like Papers (if you are a researcher/heavy pdf user, this one is for you), snapzpro, appzapper, 1password, in a hope that they will encourage and improve them further. As a result, I already had bought these application before buying your bundle. Anything less than 50% to developers would be an exploit of the situation, in my opinion. But, ultimately, it's developers who has to decide with their wares.

No. I admit we have had development hell going on for the past year, but I have committed to reviving this after MacHeist 2 here (http://mydreamapp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1855).

Glad to hear you are doing something about that.

Same here. i hope you bring some good stuff to the table now.

this one from the comments (ynot) from your forum:

"Bottom line Phil and John, talk is easy. Let's see action and results. Then, my respect will return." :)

how come you are a newbie when you joined in 2001. :p

skeen
Jan 13, 2008, 04:57 AM
Snapz Pro X now unlocked. :D

neiltc13
Jan 13, 2008, 08:58 AM
The main beef I have with this site is the way they exploit absolutely everyone in order to sell the "bundle". They exploit the developers by not paying them enough for their software (although of course, it is their choice to opt in), they exploit the readers of sites and the editors of other sites with their Malcor rubbish and they exploit Digg.com, a site I'm very fond of by relentlessly spamming it. I thought it was especially disgusting when they "hacked" AppleMatters.com and it ended up throwing dirt on their innocent web host when people believed that their software was to blame.

I don't really see that any of these applications is worth the money. I think that on their own they're clearly not selling at all because many of them are completely pointless. Most of it is just gloss - look at Cha Ching or Coversutra - they're just a pretty interface for something which you could do on your computer already.

The reason most of these developers have signed up seems to be that they are incapable of selling their software based on its merits as an application. If these applications were for Windows then they would be freeware (or at the very most, cheap, cheap shareware) but because it's Mac then the developers think they've got a right to charge extortionate rates for it. What a joke.

I find it hard to believe there are 6,821 people who actually want to write CSS or record stop motion movies. People are buying into the hype and not the applications. They are using every single marketing gimmick in the book to get people to buy this and I'm just disappointed that people are stupid enough to fall for it.

You're not making hundreds of dollars of a saving - you never, ever would have bought all of these applications separately and they're such a diverse mix that I don't think anyone can possibly have a legitimate use for all of them.

The charity thing disgusts me too, the fact that people are willing to buy this bundle just because some money goes to charity is stupid. If you want to give money to charity, why not give money to charity directly? Fair enough if the bundle was sold 100% for charity, but for every dollar that goes to needy causes, some more dollars are lining the pockets of the owners of this site.

By the look of things too, sales aren't as strong as MacHeist had hoped - they've unlocked this Snapz Pro application at far less than the $100,000 charity donation they first set. Now all of the apps are going to be available when $100,000 is hit, because they know that Pixelmator is the only really legitimate one in there. All the rest are just gimmicks.

Future Blues
Jan 13, 2008, 09:26 AM
The main beef I have with this site is the way they exploit absolutely everyone in order to sell the "bundle". They exploit the developers by not paying them enough for their software (although of course, it is their choice to opt in), they exploit the readers of sites and the editors of other sites with their Malcor rubbish and they exploit Digg.com, a site I'm very fond of by relentlessly spamming it. I thought it was especially disgusting when they "hacked" AppleMatters.com and it ended up throwing dirt on their innocent web host when people believed that their software was to blame.

I don't really see that any of these applications is worth the money. I think that on their own they're clearly not selling at all because many of them are completely pointless. Most of it is just gloss - look at Cha Ching or Coversutra - they're just a pretty interface for something which you could do on your computer already.

The reason most of these developers have signed up seems to be that they are incapable of selling their software based on its merits as an application. If these applications were for Windows then they would be freeware (or at the very most, cheap, cheap shareware) but because it's Mac then the developers think they've got a right to charge extortionate rates for it. What a joke.

I find it hard to believe there are 6,821 people who actually want to write CSS or record stop motion movies. People are buying into the hype and not the applications. They are using every single marketing gimmick in the book to get people to buy this and I'm just disappointed that people are stupid enough to fall for it.

You're not making hundreds of dollars of a saving - you never, ever would have bought all of these applications separately and they're such a diverse mix that I don't think anyone can possibly have a legitimate use for all of them.

The charity thing disgusts me too, the fact that people are willing to buy this bundle just because some money goes to charity is stupid. If you want to give money to charity, why not give money to charity directly? Fair enough if the bundle was sold 100% for charity, but for every dollar that goes to needy causes, some more dollars are lining the pockets of the owners of this site.

By the look of things too, sales aren't as strong as MacHeist had hoped - they've unlocked this Snapz Pro application at far less than the $100,000 charity donation they first set. Now all of the apps are going to be available when $100,000 is hit, because they know that Pixelmator is the only really legitimate one in there. All the rest are just gimmicks.

Your opinion of the quality of the software is terrible.

Sure, Pixelmator is/was probably the main draw of the bundle for a lot of folks, but saying the other applications are gimmicks is just misinformation.

1Password has, in one day, completely changed the way I manage passwords and use the internet. Admittedly, I don't think I'd pay for CoverSutra on its own but because it was included in the bundle I've started using it on a daily basis. Granted, I don't exactly have volumes to say about CSSEdit, but it looks like a great app to develop CSS in, if I ever get around to doing any of that. AppZapper and Awaken are icing on the cake. Both are polished and useful. Speed Download is nice as well. If you don't like the bundle, fine... But don't hate on the software just because you're happy using the command line on your dosbox. I'd argue that a good UI is a very powerful draw to the mac platform-- it's one of the things that it does particularly well. And believe me, I know. I was using a windows box full time for the past 3 years and UI is not most windows developers' strong suit.

As far as the charity aspect... What's your problem? Its money to a good cause. MacHeist has to make something out of the deal. They spend time and money developing the heists, making deals with developers, maintaining the website, and finally advertising it all over the web. To complain and say they shouldn't get their cut just puts us back at square one with no software and no money for charity, the developers, or anyone.

neiltc13
Jan 13, 2008, 09:29 AM
I forgot to mention "My Dream App" in my earlier post. This was run by the same people and was full of promises of great software designed by people who want it. I'm yet to see anything come out of this.

As for my opinion of the software - it's so shallow. One thing I've noticed on Mac is that you need a separate application to do absolutely everything. To have a separate application to write CSS files to the one you write the rest of your website in is absolutely ludicrous.

AppZapper solves a problem which was never there in the first place. It's an extra application to delete applications and completely destroys the whole Mac elegance and lack of clutter.

devilot
Jan 13, 2008, 09:39 AM
I can't speak for the other apps as I've never tried them but...
AppZapper solves a problem which was never there in the first place. It's an extra application to delete applications and completely destroys the whole Mac elegance and lack of clutter. I see your opinion, and I disagree. For the most part and for more tech-savvy users, yes, AppZapper is redundant. But for those less tech-inclined, less likely to poke about in the Library files or prefs lists, than this app is handy. It helps to get rid of even preferences, which are (harmlessly) left behind when most apps are deleted. And why might this matter? Just sometimes with troubleshooting it can be useful.

So again, is this bundle suited for ever single Mac user out there? Of course not, but just because one user doesn't see value in every last one of those apps, doesn't mean that other users don't see value in those same apps. And the bottom line is-- as a user, and potential buyer of a given bundle--- is the cost of the bundle on par with your perceived value of the apps? If not, then, tough, better luck w/ another bundle. If so, then you've scored a great deal.

No one has to use every app s/he buys.

P-Worm
Jan 13, 2008, 09:45 AM
To have a separate application to write CSS files to the one you write the rest of your website in is absolutely ludicrous.

I don't think so. There are times when all I want to do is play with the CSS to get a new look or something without changing any content. Why should I have all of my HTML tools open if I want to do that? A lot of the time I will be messing with the HTML and the CSS at once and I can either use a full package or separate apps.

Take a look at a lot of Studio apps. Final Cut Studio for example. Could they include motion graphics, sound editing, editing, and DVD authoring in one application? Sure they could - there's a lot of cross-over between each applications. But when you start doing that, things get more complicated and less accessible.

Just because multiple apps that are similar don't work for you doesn't mean that the idea is ludicrous.

I am very happy with my purchase, but I can see how a lot of people wouldn't have a need for these apps. I didn't recommend the package to my friends that casually use their computers for instance. But there are a few applications I am really happy to own now (Speed Download, CSSEdit, SnapzPro, and Cha-Ching). Are they mindblowing applications? No. But they are worth the $50 I paid for them when put together.

P-Worm

spaceballl
Jan 13, 2008, 11:04 AM
AppZapper solves a problem which was never there in the first place. It's an extra application to delete applications and completely destroys the whole Mac elegance and lack of clutter.
I couldn't agree more!

Even more ridiculous than Appzapper is "taskpaper" - hahahha what a USELESS program! It's basically just textedit

Iroganai
Jan 13, 2008, 03:08 PM
CSS Edit and Snapz Pro X are nice for casual Sunday programmer like me...
but I didn't expect there are 6000+ people who buy them !

Maybe their main point is to get Pixelmator.

arj8138
Jan 13, 2008, 04:00 PM
This is exactly how I feel about this product offering. I would never buy any software that doesn't come full featured. If you're paying for it, their should be a full activation code. I may buy one or two of the individual applications and pay full price and be assured that I can use all of its functionality.

some are locked until they reach a selling point of some sort

Anyways. I agree that TaskPaper is a waist of time, but App Zapper provides a simple way to make sure all of the library files etc are deleted [right?], maybe not now that I think about it.

I bought it really for SnapzPro, worth it since its a $20 discount for just that program alone!

Im gonna have to wait until I get Leopard to use Cha-Ching and Coversutra. Over it.

spyker3292
Jan 13, 2008, 04:02 PM
He might be thinking that because last year not all of them were full. But this year it is confirmed that EVERY app is a full license.

Thomas421
Jan 13, 2008, 04:22 PM
I bought it just for Appzapper, ChaChing (I wa slooking for an app that did this kind of thing, i't not the best one out, but now it's the cheapest) and Awaken.

Getting Speed Download for free is awesome, cause I was using it already, and now I can use it legally ;)

Pixelmator is a nice extra, but I've got a copy of Photoshop (Student Edition) already, so it's not an app I'll use all day

Now, Launchbar, that's an app I'd use everyday, pity I need a friend to get it ;)

I'm just wondering what the twelfth and thirteenth app'll be
I hope scrivener or the likes, but well, we'll see right.

As for the whole: Macheist keeps a lot of money for them selves, I think that's something between the developers and macheist, but at least we get an awesome discount on a lot of Apps

r88my
Jan 13, 2008, 04:39 PM

I don't think macheist is evil. I do think macheist is a good deal for the consumer. Like I said tho, supporting the developers is the most important thing for me and maybe others. We can only make informed descisions with the info that is put infront of us, and the devs are smart enough to make up their own mind about weather its a good deal for them or not. And of you're saying the devs get a good deal out of it, then great, I have no reason not to believe that.

I think some of the apps are very good quality compared to most of the poor quality apps that are available for windows (I am a long time windows user) and ultimately some will find some apps more useful than others, it depends on the individual in the end. Appzapper is one I find useful because it saves me a bit of time and is a big help for newer mac users.

The problem that these devs have IMO is simply exposure. Mostly small companies i think. How else can they reach out to newer mac users who are completely oblivious to the fact that decent shareware apps do actually exist for the mac platform when we haven't been used to it in our windows experience or every second download is potentially a virus?

ezekielrage_99
Jan 13, 2008, 05:16 PM

I never said that MacHeist was evil or a bad thing, IMHO they have enabled many Mac users to sample some very good applications they never would have used or thought of buying if it wasn't in a bundle. If developers don't think they a getting a good deal there isn't any reason they have to join up and giving away free/cheap/discounted stuff. Also giving away samples or freebies can also lead to more sales from a relatively inexpensive marketing.

You also have to remember that MacHeist got some very bad press last year which left a very bad after taste in the metaphorical mouth of the Mac community, not good or positive for any promoter.

And giving something to charity is never a bad thing.

jhande
Jan 13, 2008, 05:21 PM

<snip>

Well, YMMV and all that, but I did actually buy it for CSS Edit and Snapz Pro X, and it *did* give me a way to evaluate ChaChing (when we get the license mess sorted out - they promise it will be sorted tomorrow) without worrying about shelling out the full amount. From my pov it's a freebie.

I haven't tried MacHeist I, so I can't comment on that, but this bundle seems to deliver reasonable quality mixed in with the so-so stuff. And finally, I was pretty pleased to have Taskpaper included in the bundle. It does what it says on the box, and stays out of your way. Would I pay big bucks for it? No, but for those who like to do their GTD in a barebones manner, it's actually quite nice.

If 7,500 people (at the mom) have shelled out the 50 bucks, then apparently I'm not alone in seeing some value in the bundle.

My .02

ezekielrage_99
Jan 13, 2008, 05:53 PM
If 7,500 people (at the mom) have shelled out the 50 bucks, then apparently I'm not alone in seeing some value in the bundle.

I agree, also MacUpdate did it as well, and that was an awesome package as well. I bought that one for Rapidweaver the rest to me was a huge bonus.

Sesshi
Jan 13, 2008, 06:27 PM
Most of it is just gloss - look at Cha Ching or Coversutra - they're just a pretty interface for something which you could do on your computer already.

LMAO that an Apple user of all people would be saying that in the sourest way possible.

It's a great idea and I wish people would do stuff like this more on the Windows side as well.

You discover some apps you would not have found otherwise, it's a steal even if you just wanted one of the 'better' apps on the list and however little, it benefits charities (Unfortunately there were none there that I really would have wanted to support but nevertheless). Application developers have a chance to expose themselves to a wider audience. Ryu seems to have a good business going here, however he runs it.

I bought it for SnapZ to license some of my Macs for it - $50 per machine was a relative bargain in my book - I have a license of Pixelmator already and didn't really feel the need to roll it out to my other machines (and in any case I do all my media editing on Windows these days) although it is good to have the option. I'll also have a try of the other apps when I feel like it. I will not, however, let Appzapper near any of my Macs.

andiwm2003
Jan 13, 2008, 06:37 PM

that sounds like not all functions of the individual programs are available? is that tru?

i will buy it for snapz pro and hopefully pixelmator.

andi

spyker3292
Jan 13, 2008, 08:11 PM
that sounds like not all functions of the individual programs are available? is that tru?

andi

All the programs are full licenses, iStopMotion has 3 different versions of different prices ($50, $100, and $500) and we get the $50 which is still great!

iPoodOverZune
Jan 13, 2008, 08:12 PM

andi

No all functions are available in these apps as long as they are unlocked.

[EDIT]: I see that spyker already addressed that!

iPoodOverZune
Jan 13, 2008, 08:30 PM
You also have to remember that MacHeist got some very bad press last year which left a very bad after taste in the metaphorical mouth of the Mac community, not good or positive for any promoter.

I think people are wary of buying from MH for this reason and their My dream app stuff which they say they are still working on but their forums suggest something different, snail progress at best.

I couldn't agree more!

Even more ridiculous than Appzapper is "taskpaper" - hahahha what a USELESS program! It's basically just textedit

Not really. Appzapper is good for removing all the files, which you may say are harmless but hey they are there taking up resources. Appzapper helps in removing almost all dregs of an application, so that I can reinstall the same free time-limited app for very occasional need I sometimes have.

I agree, also MacUpdate did it as well, and that was an awesome package as well. I bought that one for Rapidweaver the rest to me was a huge bonus.

To all the pessimistic people here who don't find value in these bundles, there are other people who do see a value in them. For example, I did not see any value in MU bundle but ezekrielrage did. On the other hand, I think MH is a great bundle but you may not. So, please don't generalize your opinion.

Mooey
Jan 14, 2008, 12:21 AM
Cool, I was browsing the website, and didn't even notice that Snapz Pro had been unlocked until I checked the forums! It's such a great program, and it helps me out with web-based clients who are having problems. I can just talk on the microphone telling them what to do and send it to them instead of commuting.

Thank you MacHeist!

donga
Jan 14, 2008, 12:41 AM
question: should be getting a new mac soon, can i purchase the macheist bundle before the offer expires, then wait to use the serial numbers?

Mac In School
Jan 14, 2008, 12:45 AM
LOL @ the AppZapper hate on this thread.

That's one of my 3 "must have" apps, every time I'm asked.

Different strokes, I reckon.

MacRumors
Jan 14, 2008, 07:08 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

MacRumors is a promotional partner for the lastest Mac application bundle by MacHeist (http://www.macheist.com/track/id/macrumors/). Bundle sales through these links (http://macheist.com/track/id/macrumors/) benefit MacRumors.com financially, and provide a way for readers to directly support this site. This application bundle currently contains 11 Mac applications for $49. The applications include:

1password (http://1passwd.com/) - Password Manager
CoverSurta (http://www.coversutra.com/) - iTunes controller
Cha-Ching (http://www.midnightapps.com/) - money manager
iStopMotion (http://boinx.com/istopmotion/overview/) - stop motion photography
Awaken (http://embraceware.com/software/awaken/) - alarm clock
Speed Download (http://yazsoft.com/) - download manager
AppZapper (http://appzapper.com/) - application uninstaller
TaskPaper (http://hogbaysoftware.com/products/taskpaper) - to do lists
CSSEdit (http://www.macrabbit.com/cssedit/) - edit and preview CSS
Snapz Pro X (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/) - screenshot and video capture utility
Pixelmator (http://www.pixelmator.com/) - image editor

Total value for the applications purchased individually is $368.75, but can be purchased for $49 (http://macheist.com/track/id/macrumors/). Pixelmator is the only remaining "locked" application, but is near its goal and will certainly be unlocked before the end of the sale. All unlocked applications are given to all purchasers of the bundle.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/14/macheist-macworld-expo-software-bundle/)

aarond12
Jan 14, 2008, 07:14 AM
I purchased the last MacHeist bundle and, when my SRS iWOW serial number stopped working, THEY NEVER RESOLVED THE PROBLEM.

I am NOT purchasing any more software from them because they don't even BOTHER TO REPLY TO MY E-MAILS.

Lame, guys. Lame.

At least reply and tell me that you can't do anything. :mad:

Evangelion
Jan 14, 2008, 07:25 AM
Has anyone here used Cha-Ching? I'd be happy to find a replacement for Quicken. I'm not particularly fond of giving Intuit my money.

I use Cha-Ching. It's intuitive and pretty good for personal budgeting and finances-management. Nothing heavy-duty like some other apps, but it's easy to use and convenient.

I'm sorry, but the article you linked to is BS. It says that the developers are "getting screwed". Um, no-one forced the developers to sign up to the MacHeist-thingy. But apparently quite a few have done so. And they apparently knew the terms of the deal. How exactly are they "getting screwed" if they are being made an offer, and they accept the offer without any arm-wrestling or the like? If they felt that they are getting "screwed" they could just refuse to take part in the operation.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Can
Jan 14, 2008, 07:42 AM
I will buy as soon as I have bought the hopefully new MacBook Pro tomorrow. I really hope pixelmator gets unlocked. :)

I was looking trough the apps 2 hours before this was posted. It's nice that you can help charity, get tons of good apps and help out macrumors for just 49$.

kungming2
Jan 14, 2008, 07:45 AM
Macrumors, it's CoverSutra not CoverSurta. :)

krye
Jan 14, 2008, 07:55 AM
You need to believe in the Mac community. You need to believe that $100,000 will be raised and Pixelmator WILL BE UNLOCKED! How else is it to be? Don't hold out until Pixelmator is unlocked. Buy the bundle now! How else do you expect it to be unlocked if everyone holds out? I bought the bundle when there were less than 1000 sold, and look, CSSEdit and Snapz Pro were unlocked.

Come on people, make this happen! Buy the bundle now!

I WAS the one
Jan 14, 2008, 08:09 AM
I already got:
Cha-Ching
Speed Download
AppZapper
Snapz Pro

And I most say I love all of them... well I don't like Speed Download but anyway the rest are great! I don't see myself using this:

1Password
TaskPaper
CSSedit
iStopmotion

The only ones I loved to by are:
Pixelmator
CoverSutra
Awaken

so... nope I'm not in.:mad:

donga
Jan 14, 2008, 08:17 AM
I purchased the last MacHeist bundle and, when my SRS iWOW serial number stopped working, THEY NEVER RESOLVED THE PROBLEM.

I am NOT purchasing any more software from them because they don't even BOTHER TO REPLY TO MY E-MAILS.

Lame, guys. Lame.

At least reply and tell me that you can't do anything. :mad:

so.... if i buy the bundle, can i wait like a month to use the number? and are there any other reports of issues with the serial numbers?

CommodityFetish
Jan 14, 2008, 08:19 AM
So, my question is...

What kind of deal are the developers getting this time around?

Are they getting a percentage or are they still being offered a one-time flat rate payment?

If it was a new thing last time, and MacHeist took on all the financial risk, and how could they know they would sell so much? etc... Well, now they know, and the developers know, so are they getting a fairer cut?

If the charities get a percentage and not a flat payment, why not the developers?

(Not saying developers are charity cases, or that the charity aspect is a bad thing, just raising the issue of what kind of cut the developers are getting and whether it seems fair.)

I would feel much better about buying the deal and supporting MacHeist if I knew the developers were getting a percentage this time around.

So can we get a little transparency? What kind of deal for developers are we supporting by buying into this?

EagerDragon
Jan 14, 2008, 08:29 AM
In about 2 months they will update these apps and then you have to re-update with some having to pay again.

I do not have a real need for any of them, I could use a few, but none are a must.

I prefer to buy what I need when I need it and not bundles.

Digital Skunk
Jan 14, 2008, 08:30 AM
The only issue i have with these software bundles is that they usually suck sans two or three apps. And if you have any pro software then the good stuff in the bundle is useless. The only two I see that would be worth me downloading 8 other space hogging apps is SnapzPro X and Appzapper. Pixelmator looks nice but if you already have Photoshop it's redundant.

I am kicking myself for missing the one that had TechTool Pro in the bundle; I am still kinda waiting for an app as good as that to buy one. I know that I will still be deleting over half of the stuff either way.

Maybe Cha Ching, Awaken, and 1 Password would find their way into my daily life and make the bundle a little more desirable.

ATG
Jan 14, 2008, 08:33 AM
Bought it for speed download, pixelmator and CSS Edit. Coversutra is a nice bonus (totally useless though)

Pixelmator looks nice but if you already have Photoshop it's redundant.
I just need it for the reason that cmd-shift-4-space and photoshop don't get on

devilot
Jan 14, 2008, 08:35 AM
I know that I will still be deleting over half of the stuff either way. No body has to download every single app. In fact, in purchasing the bundle, Macheist also allows you to gift individual apps to others. So if you really don't like it, you 1) don't have to have the license, and 2) not bother giving away the app and simply opt not to download the app.

Again, one thing may or may not be equally valued in the eyes of others.

iSee
Jan 14, 2008, 08:38 AM
There seem to be MacHeist haters posting wild slander re everything invovled with this bundle. I don't know much about about MH, but I know at least one piece of software is well-made, high-quality professional software:

IMHO, SnapZ Pro is a very good image capture utility. It has a lot of nice touches that really help if you need to get more than a couple images. When I researched screen capture utilities a few years ago, I looked like the premire title available. I ended up buying it, and indeed, it was worth the money. I'm getting the bundle, though, because I have an older version w/o video capture. The knock I have against it is that it is too expensive--it was only really worth it if you had a lot of screen captures to takes. OBviously, this bundle resolves that issue if you are interested in some of the other titles, too.

bhjs1
Jan 14, 2008, 08:43 AM
i bought the bundle... parts of it are pretty useless, but overall, it is a great buy!

Digital Skunk
Jan 14, 2008, 08:43 AM
No body has to download every single app. In fact, in purchasing the bundle, Macheist also allows you to gift individual apps to others. So if you really don't like it, you 1) don't have to have the license, and 2) not bother giving away the app and simply opt not to download the app.

Again, one thing may or may not be equally valued in the eyes of others.

Okay, thanks for letting me know that I didn't have to download all the apps. Thought they came in as one big compressed package. Makes it a little easier for me to decide whether to purchase it or not. Still wish they had TechTool Pro though.

dalvin200
Jan 14, 2008, 08:46 AM
Coversutra is a nice bonus (totally useless though)

I actually had bad thoughts on installed CoverSutra as I had read a few opinions from forum members.. but after using it a bit I think it's pretty neat!

A nice bonus..

main apps i wanted was Pixelmator (soon to be unlocked) and speed download

Jimmdean
Jan 14, 2008, 08:56 AM
Did something funny happen with the unlock levels? I swear Snapz was the $100,000 app, so would still be locked. Then all of a sudden sometime over the weekend it started showing unlocked and the $100,000 moved over to Pixelmator. If you actually click on Snapz though it says it's still locked. I'm guessing they have a web problem they have neglected to fix and they're both still locked.

Personally, I like the bundle - I just wish they were a little bit more forthcoming with the details of where all the money is going. Especially with Pixelmator - either sales are going really badly or the financial terms aren't quite as bad as everyone assumes...

devilot
Jan 14, 2008, 08:59 AM
If you actually click on Snapz though it says it's still locked. I'm guessing they have a web problem they have neglected to fix and they're both still locked.Personally, I don't think it's a glitch. I think they are letting it appear as though Snapz is unlocked but you're right-- upon clicking on it, it states very explicitly that the app will NOT be unlocked until charity donations hit $100K. And then Pixelmator's goal will be revealed, right?

I wish that the set goals were known and stated out in the open so that they can't change them w/out the public's knowledge.

Evangelion
Jan 14, 2008, 09:03 AM
(Not saying developers are charity cases, or that the charity aspect is a bad thing, just raising the issue of what kind of cut the developers are getting and whether it seems fair.)

If the developers feel that the deal is not fair they can always decide not to take part in it...

So can we get a little transparency? What kind of deal for developers are we supporting by buying into this?

We are supporting the kind of deal that these developers wanted to sign up for.

jhande
Jan 14, 2008, 09:05 AM
Personally, I don't think it's a glitch. I think they are letting it appear as though Snapz is unlocked but you're right-- upon clicking on it, it states very explicitly that the app will NOT be unlocked until charity donations hit $100K. And then Pixelmator's goal will be revealed, right?

I wish that the set goals were known and stated out in the open so that they can't change them w/out the public's knowledge.

Nope, Snapz is unlocked. I unlocked mine around 09:00 GMT on 1/14/08 (approx eight hours ago).

devilot
Jan 14, 2008, 09:08 AM
Nope, Snapz is unlocked. I unlocked mine around 09:00 GMT on 1/14/08 (approx eight hours ago).Hmm... that's good news for buyers... just odd because the site itself shows otherwise, sort of:

(Click to see larger version)

wavelayer
Jan 14, 2008, 09:17 AM
Good buy for sure. Now that Snapz is unlocked it's a no brainer.

Flowbee
Jan 14, 2008, 09:28 AM
I bought this bundle for 1Password, CSSEdit, and Snapz. They're the kind of apps that I've never purchased separately because I don't really *need* them... they'd just be handy to have around. I wasn't familiar with Speed Download, but I've started using it and really like it. I've never bothered with AppZapper because I always thought it sounded pretty useless, but now that I have it, I've found that it's very handy.

I bought the last MacHeist bundle as well as the two MacUpdate bundles. I have to admit that not many of those apps have found their way into my regular rotation. But that doesn't really matter to me. For $49 these bundles are totally worth it if for no other reason than to be able to play around with some interesting apps without trial-version time limitations or feature locks (yes, I'm a software junkie). If I end up with one or two apps that I use on a regular basis, that's just icing on the cake.

Island Dog
Jan 14, 2008, 09:40 AM
Seems like a pretty good deal for Pixelmator and CSS Edit.

:)

EagerDragon
Jan 14, 2008, 09:40 AM
There seem to be MacHeist haters posting wild slander re everything invovled with this bundle. I don't know much about about MH, but I know at least one piece of software is well-made, high-quality professional software:

IMHO, SnapZ Pro is a very good image capture utility. It has a lot of nice touches that really help if you need to get more than a couple images. When I researched screen capture utilities a few years ago, I looked like the premire title available. I ended up buying it, and indeed, it was worth the money. I'm getting the bundle, though, because I have an older version w/o video capture. The knock I have against it is that it is too expensive--it was only really worth it if you had a lot of screen captures to takes. OBviously, this bundle resolves that issue if you are interested in some of the other titles, too.

Most of the packages are good quality, people are just being a little over the top.

I stopped buying the packages because i am ending with 2 or 3 licensees of some products as I do not have the ability to switch some, and also end up with some products I really have no need for.

Pomares
Jan 14, 2008, 09:43 AM
Finally a collection of shareware worth buying. While I am too cheap to buy any of them individually, buying the lot at such a reduced cost is a fantastic deal!

I looked at the previous collections but liked none of them until this one.

:-) Just spent $49

notjustjay
Jan 14, 2008, 09:47 AM
I had some email discussion with the makers of DEVONthink, which was in the previous bundle. Two things came out of that conversation:

1. They were very happy with the amount of money they made, it was definitely worthwhile for them.

2. The MacHeist codes "got around", as it were, and they stopped accepting them shortly after the heist ended because of all the fraudulent attempts to get licenses.

CommodityFetish
Jan 14, 2008, 09:53 AM
If the developers feel that the deal is not fair they can always decide not to take part in it...

We are supporting the kind of deal that these developers wanted to sign up for.

True "It's business, baby, that's just how deals are done."

But if the MacHeist guys are trying to improve their image after the bad press last time, and are saying "it was the first time, we didn't know how well it would go." Well, this is this time, and if they want to address concerns about whether they give developers their fair share, they could do it really quickly by being transparent about what kind of deal the developers are getting this time.

... unless they'd really rather not say... ;)

It seems like a fair question to ask. I don't like the recording industry because they are a middle man that gives artists the shaft, and the same goes here. Consumers should be aware of these things, and businesses should be up front about their practices.

(And again, if the charities get a percentage of every sale, shouldn't the developers?)

Flowbee
Jan 14, 2008, 09:56 AM
I had some email discussion with the makers of DEVONthink, which was in the previous bundle. Two things came out of that conversation:

2. The MacHeist codes "got around", as it were, and they stopped accepting them shortly after the heist ended because of all the fraudulent attempts to get licenses.

Hmm... I hadn't thought of that. Must remember to register my apps soon.

Evangelion
Jan 14, 2008, 10:01 AM
It seems like a fair question to ask. I don't like the recording industry because they are a middle man that gives artists the shaft, and the same goes here. Consumers should be aware of these things, and businesses should be up front about their practices.

Well, the difference here is that MacHeist is not a required middleman. All the developers sell their software independently as well (I should know, I have already bought Cha-Ching and Pixelmator straight from the developers). With the recording-industry, you almost NEED to sign up with a label, and the label then squeezes every nickel from you. That is not the case here, MacHeist is merely an additional sales-channel for these developers, it's not their only channel (like how it is with recording industry). They can easily decide not to join the bundle, but since they do, they obviously see some value in it.

No, they are not "shafting" the developers here, since each and every developer joined the scheme freely with full knowledge of the terms of the deal. In the recording-industry, you either join a label (and get shafted in the process) or take a serious hit in your chances of selling lots of records. That is not the case here.

No, I have not bought the bundle. I already have the apps I were interested in.

Jimmdean
Jan 14, 2008, 10:03 AM
Well, it sounds like people are actually getting their codes for Snapz, so if it is an error, it's too late to fix. Wasn't going to matter for Snapz, but confusion is not the best thing where unlocks are involved. Personally, I don't see the point of having anything locked. Especially with Pixelmator, if it had been unlocked from the start they'd probably have already met the intended goal even in these few days - Pixelmator was the real draw here. I much prefer having secret "bonus" apps (small applications - not the big ones) that get handed out if they reach certain levels.

Flowbee
Jan 14, 2008, 10:09 AM

When you buy a shirt at a store, do you know how much the store marked up the wholesale price? Do you know how much the wholesaler marked up the price from the manufacturer? Do you know how much the factory employee was paid to make the shirt?

Almost every product we buy goes through a series of distributors before reaching the consumer, and each distributor along the way makes a profit.

I don't really understand why people are so obsessed with knowing the agreement between MacHeist and the developers. The developers entered into the promotion voluntarily, and one has to assume that the developers think they are getting a fair deal; Especially this time around, since everyone now knows how successful these bundles can be.

pacohaas
Jan 14, 2008, 10:10 AM
Hm, now it's on to Snapz Pro. The next "goal" is to hit $100K for charity, at 25% of $49, that's approx. $12.25 per bundle. So they're looking for another 3,616 bundles purchased.

If I did my math correctly. :o Which is doubtful as I suck at math.

Your math is correct, but it seems like MacHeist's is a bit fuzzy:

8363 Bundles sold: $91116 for Charity
8364 Bundles sold: $91128 for Charity, 1 added $12 ($12/bundle)
8374 Bundles sold: $91240 for Charity, 10 added $112 ($11.20/bundle)
8415 Bundles sold: $91716 for Charity, 41 added $476 ($11.61/Bundle)
8465 Bundles sold: $92280 for Charity, 50 added $564 ($11.28/Bundle)
8481 Bundles sold: $92464 for Charity, 16 added $564 ($11.28/Bundle)
8482 Bundles sold: $92464 for Charity, 1 added $0
8483 Bundles sold: $92475 for Charity, 1 added $11
8484 Bundles sold: $92485 for Charity, 1 added $10
8485 Bundles sold: $92497 for Charity, 1 added $12

Overall 122 bundles were sold while I was watching with the total to charity rising just $1381, an average of $11.32/bundle.

Looking at the final numbers, on average: $10.90/bundle goes to charity, so someone's math is off for sure since that's only 22%, and you can bet that missing 3% isn't going to the developers.

Do the math.

devilot
Jan 14, 2008, 10:15 AM
<snip>

Do the math.To be fair, we have to also take into account the permutations because if 2 bundles are purchased together, that's $78 so the 25% to charity is $19.50, and 3 bundles together is $98 with 25% or $24.50 going to charity (making it approx. $8.17 per bundle).

:o

Flowbee
Jan 14, 2008, 10:15 AM

[snip]

Overall 122 bundles were sold while I was watching with the total to charity rising just $1381, an average of $11.32/bundle.

Looking at the final numbers, on average: $10.90/bundle goes to charity, so someone's math is off for sure since that's only 22%, and you can bet that missing 3% isn't going to the developers.

Do the math.

Don't forget that people who participated in the "heists" earned up to $10 off the price of the bundle (I saved $8, myself). Also, multiple bundles are sold at a discount.

twoodcc
Jan 14, 2008, 10:31 AM
so some of these seem good. i might look into getting this

mountcobb
Jan 14, 2008, 10:37 AM
Also, so this post has _some_ value; If you're unsure about buying the bundle, try downloading some of the apps. I wasn't really interested in the bundle until I tried Awaken and Speed Downloader Plus - those two apps (which I hadn't even looked at before) were the deciding factors for me

pacohaas
Jan 14, 2008, 10:38 AM
Don't forget that people who participated in the "heists" earned up to $10 off the price of the bundle (I saved $8, myself). Also, multiple bundles are sold at a discount.
Yeah, it makes a lot more sense now, I didn't now about the discounts. I could probably chock the rest up to the website programming that doesn't update the counters immediately when bundles are sold. That's why you can see a single bundle presumably being sold with only $10 or $11 or $0 going to charity.

fribhey
Jan 14, 2008, 10:46 AM
To be fair, we have to also take into account the permutations because if 2 bundles are purchased together, that's $78 so the 25% to charity is $19.50, and 3 bundles together is $98 with 25% or $24.50 going to charity (making it approx. $8.17 per bundle).

:o

exactly. i save $10 off the bundle which only cost me $39. 25% of that, $9.75, went to charity.

people are looking way to much into this. it's a good deal if you want/need multiple apps in the bundle, if not then it's not a good deal to you. i personally was planning on getting cssedit and wanted snapz pro, that's $100 worth of apps for only $39 so to me it was a great deal.

techmonkey
Jan 14, 2008, 11:00 AM
So how does this work? I see that the download button on the site works. When you buy the bundle, do they email you the serial #s or does the developers send the the #s?

Eduardo1971
Jan 14, 2008, 11:05 AM
I'm actually thinking of buying the bundle; and my question to ya'll is "how much hard-drive space is used up by all this bundled software?"

Cheers!

Flowbee
Jan 14, 2008, 11:07 AM
So how does this work? I see that the download button on the site works. When you buy the bundle, do they email you the serial #s or does the developers send the the #s?

You get one email from Macheist with all the serial numbers. There's also a link in the email that you use as apps become unlocked, to get those serial numbers.

Pukey
Jan 14, 2008, 11:10 AM
I would rather support MacRumors than MacHeist. I didn't care for the "Malcor" hoax.

GoKyu
Jan 14, 2008, 11:11 AM
I bought my copy 2 days ago (before even CSSEdit was unlocked) - the main software I'm looking at here is Snapz Pro X (which unlocked yesterday), and everything else is a nice bonus... 1Password, Appzapper and Cha-Ching look great. Pixelmator looks good too, but I already use Photoshop CS3 :rolleyes:

Anyway, as long as you find value in the deal, then it's worth the cash, and helping charity is never a bad thing :)

-Bryan

Mindflux
Jan 14, 2008, 11:12 AM
You get one email from Macheist with all the serial numbers. There's also a link in the email that you use as apps become unlocked, to get those serial numbers.

If new apps get unlocked after you buy are you boned?

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 14, 2008, 11:13 AM
I just caved and got the bundle.

Had $4 discount so for $45 it was just too good an opportunity to miss... and I had a little "silly money" on PayPal (thanks ;)) and this seemed silly enough. :)

notjustjay
Jan 14, 2008, 11:15 AM
Hmm... I hadn't thought of that. Must remember to register my apps soon.

Yep. When I bought the first MacHeist bundle my machine was still only running Panther, and I discovered (to my dismay) that many of the apps I'd just purchased would require Tiger. A few months ago I finally bought a new machine with Tiger, so I went back to those old emails in hopes of downloading and registering the apps I'd bought. Only to discover that some of the serials no longer worked, which led to me contacting the developers for help. They were happy to give me the code once I confirmed that I did purchase the heist bundle, but did tell me that there had been lots of fraudulent requests.

I was also disappointed to see that in the time that passed many of the programs I'd bought had been updated (say, from a 1.8 version to 2.1) and I was either not eligible for free updates, or had passed the "limited time only, upgrade for free!" window.

Moral of the story: don't sit on your Heist codes! :(

Flowbee
Jan 14, 2008, 11:16 AM
If new apps get unlocked after you buy are you boned?

No... there's a link in the email that you can click to get the serials of the unlocked apps.

embraceware
Jan 14, 2008, 11:17 AM
Hey guys - just wanted to let you know that I was around if you have any Awaken questions. I'd be glad to answer any that you may have. If you have any problems you can also email our support line: support@embraceware.com.

Regarding MacHeist and developers - I can say that working with MacHeist has been great. All of the other developers I know on the heist this year would say the same. Thanks for your support!

neiltc13
Jan 14, 2008, 11:18 AM
I forgot to mention that the charity thing is quite misleading. The site states:

"25% of your purchase will be donated to the charity of your choice"

If you use the discount tokens from other heists then the amount of your donation to charity reduces because the overall amount of your payment is less. I think MacHeist should donate the same amount of money for each bundle - 25% of $49, which is $12.25.

Currently, the average amount donated per bundle is $10.91 and if the charitable donations were actually fair and not just a stupid incentive to get people to part with their money then instead of a current total of $94,975 the site would be sitting at $106,587.25 for charity.

It's little things like this that really sour the milk in terms of this being good value.

iBunny
Jan 14, 2008, 11:33 AM
I just want to throw in my 2 cents.

As soon as pixelmator becomes unlocked, I will purchase this bundle. The Cost of Pixelmator alone is worth it.

MrMoore
Jan 14, 2008, 12:27 PM
I just bought it so I can get Pixelmator. I download Pixelmator a couple of weeks ago to try out and really like it, but never got around to purchasing the program. Getting it through MacHeist is a litle more cost effective for me ;)

I already purchased CoverSutra about a month ago, but the version on MacHeist seems to be a new version. I might give the 1password program a shot but the others don't seem to have an interest for me.

deathshrub
Jan 14, 2008, 12:35 PM
This crap again?

:rolleyes:

CommodityFetish
Jan 14, 2008, 12:39 PM
When you buy a shirt at a store, do you know how much the store marked up the wholesale price? Do you know how much the wholesaler marked up the price from the manufacturer? Do you know how much the factory employee was paid to make the shirt?

Right, fair enough. In this case I'd just like to know if it's a repeat of the same deal as last time or whether the developers have been able to negotiate better terms, knowing what they know. We can probably assume they have. But again, in light of the bad press last time around, it seems like a fair question.

It is reassuring to hear from developers that they're happy with the terms, and I guess they know what they're getting into this time around, so there you go...

(Although in general I do think it's good for consumers to know something about where their money goes, and what it supports. I'd rather buy local when I can. I'd rather support shareware and open-source developers than say, microsoft. I'd rather buy from environmentally and otherwise responsible companies, etc...)

louelou21
Jan 14, 2008, 12:48 PM
is snapz pro x really unlocked????
the icon no longer has the locked indicator on it but if you click on the icon to get a description of the app it says it is locked till they raise 100,000 for charity and as of right now they have raised just over 98,000...

the macHeist website is very misleading... :confused:

aarond12
Jan 14, 2008, 12:54 PM
so.... if i buy the bundle, can i wait like a month to use the number? and are there any other reports of issues with the serial numbers?

Moreover, why did my post get deleted? Because I am showing displeasure with MacHeist... one of the sponsors?

NOT cool mods.

I posted because I had problems with one of the products they sent me. I contacted both SRS and MacHeist (several ways) and got NO RESPONSE from either company.

At least they should have the common courtesy to respond to my e-mail saying, "Sorry, there is nothing we can do for you. Here, have $10 off the next MacHeist bundle because we can't fix your issue."

MacHeist people: I'm STILL waiting for my e-mail. If you have an SRS iWow 1.x serial number for me that WORKS then I will be grateful.

-Aaron-

WildCowboy
Jan 14, 2008, 12:57 PM
Moreover, why did my post get deleted? Because I am showing displeasure with MacHeist... one of the sponsors?

NOT cool mods.

No post of yours has been deleted. Are you referring to this one?

phillryu
Jan 14, 2008, 01:28 PM

NOT cool mods.

I posted because I had problems with one of the products they sent me. I contacted both SRS and MacHeist (several ways) and got NO RESPONSE from either company.

At least they should have the common courtesy to respond to my e-mail saying, "Sorry, there is nothing we can do for you. Here, have $10 off the next MacHeist bundle because we can't fix your issue."

MacHeist people: I'm STILL waiting for my e-mail. If you have an SRS iWow 1.x serial number for me that WORKS then I will be grateful.

-Aaron-

SRS iWow was included in last summer's MU Promo bundle, which we helped promote as affiliates. You need to take that up with MacUpdate or the developer. (Emailing us is kinda like emailing MacRumors for support on the heist bundle.)

They should be able to take care of your problem.

Sbrocket
Jan 14, 2008, 01:41 PM
Damn, the MacHeist site is really getting hammered right now.

Oh, by the way -- Pixelmator just got unlocked.

milo
All unlocked now.

mduser63
Pixelmator has just been unlocked. The site is also going really slow all of the sudden for some reason...

TMay
Moments ago, the last app of the bundle, Pixelmator, was unlocked.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 14, 2008, 01:46 PM
Already got my Pixelmator license by reloading my receipt from earlier. :)

Flowbee
Jan 14, 2008, 01:52 PM
The Pixelmator unlock must have hit the Digg front page or something. Can't load MacHeist at all.

devilot
Jan 14, 2008, 01:52 PM
The Pixelmator unlock must have hit the Digg front page or something. Can't load MacHeist at all.Heh. It loaded for me-- but the "bundle" was empty. No apps were listed. :D

brkirch
Jan 14, 2008, 01:56 PM
I just tried to order and when I hit the "Securely Purchase" button this was displayed in plain text:
Hello!Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11)

I'm not sure if the order went through or not :confused:

Sbrocket
Jan 14, 2008, 02:02 PM
Already got my Pixelmator license by reloading my receipt from earlier. :)

Yep, that's what I did too. Already had it downloaded.

Mindflux
Jan 14, 2008, 02:04 PM
The Pixelmator unlock must have hit the Digg front page or something. Can't load MacHeist at all.

Me neither

andiwm2003
Jan 14, 2008, 02:05 PM
good bye photoshop elements, wellcome pixelmator!

snapz pro is what i needed as well. the other apps can be fun as well. css edit maybe useful.

good bundle. liked macupdate more but still good for me. i hope the developers get something out of it. at least when it's time to upgrade they will have new customers.;)

brkirch
Jan 14, 2008, 02:07 PM
Heh. It loaded for me-- but the "bundle" was empty. No apps were listed. :D

I just loaded the page, and now it says 0 bundles sold and $0 raised for charity. If you want to order you may want to wait until MacHeist gets the problems with their site sorted out (I'm currently in a situation where my order probably didn't go through, but I can't try to order again yet because I'm not sure that it didn't go through).

dagrouch
Check the site now... it just has a big question mark maze graphic, with two links, one for chat the other for twitter. Anyone know what's going on?

Edit: Hmm... now it's gone. Nevermind.

soundsgoodtome
Despite what some users are reporting, I purchased this bundle 5 days ago, and Pixelmator (the one app that got me to buy the bundle) is still not unlocked. When I follow the link to my registrations, Pixelmator is still unlocked. I've refreshed, blah blah blah.

Even if some users are finally getting their Pixelmator registrations, I think it's despicable that Pixelmator took this long -- well over 100 hours, in my case, and counting -- to provide us with codes.

brkirch
Jan 14, 2008, 02:13 PM
Despite what some users are reporting, I purchased this bundle 5 days ago, and Pixelmator (the one app that got me to buy the bundle) is still not unlocked. When I follow the link to my registrations, Pixelmator is still unlocked. I've refreshed, blah blah blah.

Even if some users are finally getting their Pixelmator registrations, I think it's despicable that Pixelmator took this long -- well over 100 hours, in my case, and counting -- to provide us with codes.

Patience, it has been less than an hour since Pixelmator was unlocked, you are supposed to give them at least 24 hours to get the email to you AFTER it is unlocked.

Sbrocket
Jan 14, 2008, 02:14 PM

Erm, that's how MacHeist bundles work. Stuff gets unlocked as time goes on, not really anything to complain about...

devilot
Jan 14, 2008, 02:15 PM
... I think it's despicable that Pixelmator took this long -- well over 100 hours, in my case, and counting -- to provide us with codes.I think you are mistaken.

Pixelmator was JUST unlocked. Just now.

Some lucky purchasers already got their codes, but the Pixelmator unlock goal was only just reached. Take a deep breath. :) I'm sure you'll get your code soon.

Jimmni
Jan 14, 2008, 03:23 PM
I was on the fence, but I don't think I'll be buying the bundle now. The name calling and pettiness in the forum is going unchecked by the mods, with anyone who even criticises (constructively or otherwise) any aspect of the bundle or its handling being insulted with apparent immunity. There have been some decidedly gray aspects of this year's MacHeist and they seem happy to have anyone who tries to discuss them be mocked by childish forum members. Not cool.

Of course, if they add something like Bento or Little Snitch as a 12th app then my money is there, bad taste in my mouth or not.

P-Worm
Jan 14, 2008, 03:28 PM
I was on the fence, but I don't think I'll be buying the bundle now. The name calling and pettiness in the forum is going unchecked by the mods, with anyone who even criticises (constructively or otherwise) any aspect of the bundle or its handling being insulted with apparent immunity. There have been some decidedly gray aspects of this year's MacHeist and they seem happy to have anyone who tries to discuss them be mocked by childish forum members. Not cool.

Are you serious? Not that I really care if you buy the bundle or not, but it seems odd to not get in on a good deal because of the way some people act in a forum. If you don't like it, just don't visit the forum. :confused:

P-Worm

Jimmni
Jan 14, 2008, 03:37 PM
Are you serious? Not that I really care if you buy the bundle or not, but it seems odd to not get in on a good deal because of the way some people act in a forum. If you don't like it, just don't visit the forum. :confused:

P-Worm

I am serious. I, personally, don't consider it that good a deal. This is entirely my opinion, though. The only apps there that I'd really use are LaunchBar, which I already own, and Pixelmator, which I don't think is worth $49, let alone $59. Up until the last couple of days I'd been enjoying the MacHeist experience, making good use of Sofa Control from my loot, and was probably going to buy the bundle since it would be more or less worth it for the apps, maybe, but well worth it when considering the experience MacHeist had provided me. I really don't see why I should stop visiting the forum, though, since insulting people shouldn't be allowed in a community like that and it's interesting to see how the unlocking and revealing of apps progresses. I just can't give my money to them as long as they are turning a blind eye to to members who are quickly becoming the MacHeist equivalent of schoolyard bullies.

I probably won't read the forums much any more, though. Anywhere where a carefully stated and reasonable opinion is met with a rebuttal that comprises of a photo of a crying baby is hardly worth reading or posting to anyway.

sigamy
Jan 14, 2008, 03:39 PM

Do you have examples of this? I've skimmed a good deal of this thread and while the debate goes back and forth it seems to be just that--a good, spirited debate. I haven't seen any insults. Maybe I missed it.

edit: just read--you mean over in MH forums, right? Not here at MR.

Flowbee
Jan 14, 2008, 03:41 PM
I probably won't read the forums much any more, though. Anywhere where a carefully stated and reasonable opinion is met with a rebuttal that comprises of a photo of a crying baby is hardly worth reading or posting to anyway.

Cue crying baby photo in 3... 2... 1...

louelou21
Jan 14, 2008, 03:42 PM
I am a little confused about this whole situation. quoting straight from MacHeist's website:
when you click on the Snapz Pro Icon to get that little brief description, the first sentence states:
"Snapz Pro X is currently locked, and will be made available for all customers once it is unlocked at $100,000 raised for charities."
Seeing that they have raised close to $106,000 my understanding is that Snapz Pro X is now unlocked they just have not updated the first sentence in their description of that program (the sentence i quoted)

Now my confusion is in the Pixelmator description..it states:
"Pixelmator is currently locked. Its UNLOCK CRITERIA WILL BE UNVEILED ONCE SNAPZ PRO IS UNLOCKED, and once these criteria are met, Pixelmator will be released for all customers."

A couple days ago the Snapz Pro icon had the little lock icon thats states that it will be unlocked when money raised hits $100,000 then yesterday that icon shifted over to the Pixelmator icon yet Snapz Pro was not unlocked yet because at that point they were still shy of the $100,000 target..

That being said, i think the people at MacHeist either made an honest mistake or deliberately changed the icon to make it seem like Pixelmator was the program that was going to get unlocked once they raised the targeted $100,000.I hope its an honest mistake but either way this whole situation is making me think twice on wether to make the purchase or not...

any thought??

devilot
Jan 14, 2008, 03:45 PM
I am a little confused about this whole situation. quoting straight from MacHeist's website:
<snip>

any thought??Yup, that's been pointed out a few times earlier in this thread. If you peruse the MacHeist forums they have some of the more authoritative folks starting threads stating that both Snapz and Pixelmator have been unlocked. So I think they just haven't updated the text on the front page.

skeen
Jan 14, 2008, 03:46 PM
I bought it because I wanted some of the apps. Evidently, I'm far more simple in my purchasing decisions than so many here.

Jimmni
Jan 14, 2008, 03:47 PM
Cue crying baby photo in 3... 2... 1...

Now even I would have to admit that would be witty and funny :D

I bought it because I wanted some of the apps. Evidently, I'm far more simple in my purchasing decisions than so many here.

When you don't really want the apps you're forced to take more than that into consideration :P

sigamy
Jan 14, 2008, 03:50 PM
Not sure if anyone cares but just wanted to make a point about MacHeist and other bundles like this as it seems these are here to stay in the Mac community.

Some have said that all the MH people have done is provide the marketing glitz. Well, this can not be under valued. Yes, they did not develop the apps, will not support the apps, etc. But believe it or not, marketing is a huge part of the success for any small business.

If you app is not noticed it will not sell. Just look back at this thread. There are a number of people who never knew of some of these apps. That should tell you a great deal right there. Somewhat savvy Mac users (on a Mac forum) didn't know about some apps. So, that small developer is not doing a good job at marketing. Or maybe doesn't have the budget for marketing. Or maybe he/she is just a developer, wants to make great apps and just doesn't want to spend time marketing.

This is where the middle man of MH comes in. I think they are doing a great job of creating buzz and awareness. Trust me, it is not easy to get listed on MacRumors, Digg, and other popular web sites. And it is not free. Advertising and marketing costs money folks.

Mooey
Jan 14, 2008, 03:51 PM
YAY!!!!!!!! Pixelmatorzzzzz:eek:

dante@sisna.com
Jan 14, 2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the comments all -- as a result I am purchasing this now.

Dante

Anonymous Freak
Jan 14, 2008, 04:22 PM
Dang! I missed being the one to unlock Pixelmator by just one or two purchases. (It was at $99,983 when I started the purchase process, and $100,025 when I got my purchase confirmation email. At $11.25-$12.25 to charity per purchase, I was that close.)

I bought it almost exclusively for Pixelmator and Snapz Pro X. The others might be interested, but I was close to buying Pixelmator on its own for $59 anyway, so when this was announced, I figured I had to. At 'worst', I saved $10, got $11.25 donated to charity, and got a bunch of other shareware apps 'free'. (Snapz Pro is the only other app on the list I've even considered paying for, but $69 for it was way more than I was willing to pay. I might also take to liking Cha-Ching, but I haven't gotten my serial number quite yet.)

aaronw1986
Jan 14, 2008, 04:33 PM
Yay! I will buy it later this afteroon.

aarond12
Jan 14, 2008, 04:35 PM
You need to take that up with MacUpdate or the developer. They should be able to take care of your problem.

They ALSO did not respond.

Trust me -- when my serial number didn't work, I contacted SRS twice (once I got a response telling me they would get back with me -- they never did) and twice to MacUpdate. Then I started e-mailing others... anyone I could think of.

SRS iWOW isn't that impressive anyway. It just pisses me off that one of the programs that I *would*use in the bundle didn't work. I don't even use the other applications in the bundle after trying them.

ezekielrage_99
Jan 14, 2008, 05:53 PM
With 9 days to go I wonder if MacHeist will be adding any more applications to the pack?

iPoodOverZune
Jan 14, 2008, 05:57 PM
Has anyone have luck yet with Cha Ching serial? Apparently, they were supposed to resolve today the issuing of new serials.

callmemike20
Jan 14, 2008, 08:44 PM
I am a little confused about this. Since they are all unlocked, does that mean I have the full retail version of each program? Or are they special editions with limited features or no updates included? I am interested in purchasing the package, but im just not sure if its worth it. I noticed that MH buyers get the betas of the next version of some of the software, but do I actually get the GM version as well?

dereth
Jan 14, 2008, 11:03 PM
i went ahead and got it. its not a lot of cash and it has some pretty useful apps in it. i was planning on getting 1password at some point and cha-ching so that made it worthwhile for me.

Same with me.

I wanted 1Password and ChaChing in the first place before the bundle was revealed.

so I bought it on the first day.

jhande
Jan 15, 2008, 02:29 AM
Has anyone have luck yet with Cha Ching serial? Apparently, they were supposed to resolve today the issuing of new serials.

Apparently the lead developer is sitting in a hotel room (or en route to it) at MWSF, and as soon as they've posted the final code to version 2, the new serials will be posted to your MacHeist bundle page. Although they said Monday, they left the door open for a 1 day slippage, due to travel.

dalvin200
Jan 15, 2008, 02:40 AM
I am a little confused about this. Since they are all unlocked, does that mean I have the full retail version of each program?

yes, they are FULL retail versions and not slimmed down versions at all...

go buy it! :)

FriDay85
Jan 15, 2008, 04:47 AM
I'm interested in buying the bundle, but wondering if it will include upgrades when new versions of the software are released?

MacinDoc
Jan 15, 2008, 05:04 AM
I'm a bit confused. What's in this bundle for those who have done the previous MacHeist and purchased the previous MacHeist bundle? It seems to me that I have most of these apps already. You'd think they would try to get a collection of different apps in this bundle.

Jimmdean
Jan 15, 2008, 08:32 AM
I'm interested in buying the bundle, but wondering if it will include upgrades when new versions of the software are released?

It's hit or miss, depending on the developer. From the July MacUpdate bundle, Garage Sale and TechTool, and SRS iWow have paid upgrades out there. Some of that has to do with Leopard compatibility (Techtool) and didn't really screw over the bundle buyers exclusively. Garage Sale just had a major update in it's design. I think the rest have had many free updates, but none paid.

With this bundle you can expect about the same. Pixelmator, for instance, hasn't been out that long - they can't really expect paid updates to go over that well anytime soon.

Rest assured you'll have long enough with an app to decide if it really improves whatever it is you do. If it does, any update fee down the road is going to be worth it anyway...

flipperman75
Jan 15, 2008, 07:52 PM
Apparently the lead developer is sitting in a hotel room (or en route to it) at MWSF, and as soon as they've posted the final code to version 2, the new serials will be posted to your MacHeist bundle page. Although they said Monday, they left the door open for a 1 day slippage, due to travel.

So, got the number today, and it doesn't work. Tried pasting it in and typing it in. Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions?

BrianMR
Jan 15, 2008, 08:35 PM
Someone told me that when they followed the referral link, they saved $2 "Heister Discount". Might be worth going through a referral link.

I mostly wanted SnapzX Pro & PixelMator. Now have two licenses to AppZapper & 1Password.

- Brian

kmarketing
Jan 15, 2008, 11:29 PM
Hi,

I'm really happy that I finally clicked on the macheist link!

I was looking for something to help me record some online news videos for a presentation that I have to make and I think Snapz would be great for that!

I had a question about Snapz - when recording video content will it degrade the quality, or keep it the same?

Man, this is sad, but this is pretty exciting for me (I just learned what streaming video is - pathetic, huh?)

Finally, there's only about a week left. Do you think there is any benefit for waiting a while longer?

Thanks so much!

Anonymous Freak
Jan 16, 2008, 02:27 PM
I had to re-download Cha-Ching after my serial number arrived before it would work. The copy I downloaded before the serial numbers came out would not activate.

R0ck-Ch1ck
Jan 16, 2008, 02:35 PM
With 9 days to go I wonder if MacHeist will be adding any more applications to the pack?

I hope so, but I doubt it.

ezekielrage_99
Jan 16, 2008, 05:39 PM
I hope so, but I doubt it.

Look at MacUpdate Promo they added a few more applications to the promo after the major unlocks.

spyker3292
Jan 16, 2008, 07:17 PM
2 new games:

Wingnuts 2 + Tiki Magic Mini Golf

iPoodOverZune
Jan 16, 2008, 09:55 PM
Someone told me that when they followed the referral link, they saved $2 "Heister Discount". Might be worth going through a referral link.

I mostly wanted SnapzX Pro & PixelMator. Now have two licenses to AppZapper & 1Password.

- Brian

Ditto here. Had Appzapper and 1password before. Wanted Snapzpro and pixelmator.

But cha ching is okay too. Not that great, but time pass. I would really like if they somehow could integrate their online and transactions area. That is, scheduled downloads and integration of of bank data into accounts. The app will become really sweet if it could perform something what Yodlee and Mint does. Directly login into accounts and put things in one place. Many banks charge for direct download to personal finance softwares such as Money or Quicken. Yodlee/Mint overcomes this problem by direct logins. My only problem with all these online personal finance softwares is that if ever they had their databases hacked or stolen, the customers will be screwed. Otherwise, their interface is very neat. I hope Cha Ching can learn something from that.:)

BitterB
Jan 16, 2008, 10:43 PM
So, if the MacHeist lasts for a certain number of days, and with each passing day and more purchases more apps become 'unlocked', why would someone buy early instead of later in the cycle?? I mean, it seems it's better to wait until the end because you'll get more apps then if you bought earlier.

Am I missing something here?? This MacHeist thing is a new thing for me. Maybe I just don't get it.:confused:

Anonymous Freak
Jan 16, 2008, 11:01 PM
So, if the MacHeist lasts for a certain number of days, and with each passing day and more purchases more apps become 'unlocked', why would someone buy early instead of later in the cycle?? I mean, it seems it's better to wait until the end because you'll get more apps then if you bought earlier.

Am I missing something here?? This MacHeist thing is a new thing for me. Maybe I just don't get it.:confused:

Even the person who placed the very first order gets every single app that is unlocked.

kmarketing
Jan 17, 2008, 05:52 AM
Even the person who placed the very first order gets every single app that is unlocked.

Hi,

Just for clarification, if I order now, and other applications become available, I will be entitled for those as well?

Can someone please confirm that, or point me to where that is stated? That's the only reason why I am waiting to buy right now - the fear that something else will be available in the next few days.

Please advise!

Thanks so much!

rtrainphoto
Jan 17, 2008, 06:52 AM
Hi,

Just for clarification, if I order now, and other applications become available, I will be entitled for those as well?

Can someone please confirm that, or point me to where that is stated? That's the only reason why I am waiting to buy right now - the fear that something else will be available in the next few days.

Please advise!

Thanks so much!

Yes, you will receive access to all of the programs that are released after you purchase. The last to be added was wingnuts and if you click on the description it says that the licenses are now available on your order receipt. So if anything else is added you'll be able to find the license information there.

Thanks!

Luveno
Jan 18, 2008, 08:56 AM
A new app is now available in the MacHeist bundle. You now get WingNuts2 and Tiki Magic Mini Golf. You need to check your order receipt for registration information for both. A welcome addition!

Digital Skunk
Jan 18, 2008, 01:22 PM
I bought the bundle and I love Cha-Ching. I purchased it for Snapz Pro, 1Password and AppZapper, but may end up loving Cha-Ching, and Awaken as well.

Eduardo1971
Jan 18, 2008, 11:13 PM
Ok, after reading this thread I'm convinced. Macheist here I come...:)

Westside guy
Jan 19, 2008, 07:00 PM
If you guys/gals buy into this, you might want to use a throwaway email address. I bought the original bundle last year, and am still getting MacHeist spam - despite following their "unsubscribe" instructions repeatedly.

redrabbit
Jan 19, 2008, 07:03 PM
Is this the bundle where you're not entitled to any updates when new versions of the apps come out?

joeswinehart
Jan 19, 2008, 07:23 PM
I think I'll get the bundle, I've wanted Snapz for a while and a few other gems are in there. If anyone else hasn't bought yet but plans to do so, we could trade referrals and each get LaunchBar added for free...I wouldn't mind adding a bonus to the mix. If you are interested, PM me.

brewser
Jan 20, 2008, 09:37 AM
A new app is now available in the MacHeist bundle. You now get WingNuts2 and Tiki Magic Mini Golf. You need to check your order receipt for registration information for both. A welcome addition!

Does anyone know how to download these? I tried the demo but there is no place to put the serial number. When I click on the links on my MacHeist receipt site I always get a pop up that asks for my user name and password to download. Confused.....

dalvin200
Jan 20, 2008, 09:39 AM
Does anyone know how to download these? I tried the demo but there is no place to put the serial number. When I click on the links on my MacHeist receipt site I always get a pop up that asks for my user name and password to download. Confused.....

I downloaded the Tiki Golf game from my MacHeist order page..

worked fine, and also input the serial number fine too..

brewser
Jan 20, 2008, 10:19 AM
I downloaded the Tiki Golf game from my MacHeist order page..

worked fine, and also input the serial number fine too..

OK, I am downloading Wingnut now from the MacHeist order page but there is not a link to the Tiki Golf. It takes you to their website and then when you click on download demo it asks you for a username and password. If you click on login or cancel it states there are the maximum of 25 users logged in.

bhjs1
Jan 20, 2008, 10:24 PM
with the addition of the new programs, this is an unbelievable deal!

SheriffParker
Jan 20, 2008, 11:19 PM
wow, looks great. I think I'll get this on tuesday. :)

juanster
Jan 20, 2008, 11:47 PM
wow, looks great. I think I'll get this on tuesday. :)

yeah same here i ll be getting this either tomorrow or on tuesday

ravenvii
Jan 21, 2008, 12:11 AM
VectorDesigner was added to the bundle. Yes, that best of MacWorld program. Cool.

If you guys/gals buy into this, you might want to use a throwaway email address. I bought the original bundle last year, and am still getting MacHeist spam - despite following their "unsubscribe" instructions repeatedly.

D'oh.

Oh well, that's just more food for the Gmail spam-eating machine.

basqarl
Jan 21, 2008, 06:48 AM
I don't even own my MBP yet (waiting....waiting....waiting....). Is it dumb to purchase the MacHeist II bundle now?

(True confessions....I purchased Office 2004 to get the Office 2008 deal....)

nslyax
Jan 21, 2008, 07:46 AM
You don't need to download or register them right away. I bought last night and won't have my new MacBook until Friday. They list one of the apps as OK to not register until at least July. Then again, I guess it depends how long it will be until new MBPs come out.

pagansoul
Jan 21, 2008, 01:47 PM
First, you have to load the programs with the links they give you. Some programs do not work if they were loaded previously. You may have to delete and load again. Keep you email with your codes and link information. Always write your name the same way and use the same mailbox account. Everytime a new program gets added a letter gets sent to give you the registration number. Some numbers are not done right away. There should be a link to your MacHeist account with all updates until the deal is over.

Yes, some of these programs are fluff but you only need 3 good programs to make it worth your while and this group is good, it's a little bit of everything. Sometimes it's worth spending $50 on one very good polished program but sometimes its interesting to spend $50 on packages so you get a taste of how other programs do things. I would never visit the websites if it wasn't for bundles like this.

I already have Freeverse Big Bang Board games and never gave Wingnuts a thought. Now I play Wingnuts all the time.

Mindflux
Jan 21, 2008, 02:12 PM
I just bought two bundles. How quickly do I get the email with my codes?

aaronw1986
Jan 21, 2008, 02:14 PM

Mine was immediately.

Mindflux
Jan 21, 2008, 02:16 PM
Mine was immediately.

No emails thus far.I keep checking my spambox too.

nslyax
Jan 21, 2008, 02:19 PM

My email took about an hour.

notjustjay
Jan 21, 2008, 03:28 PM
You don't need to download or register them right away. I bought last night and won't have my new MacBook until Friday. They list one of the apps as OK to not register until at least July. Then again, I guess it depends how long it will be until new MBPs come out.

Just don't wait TOO long. I found that out the hard way. I tried to register my copy of DEVONthink a number of months after the heist, and the site just would not give me a registration code. I finally contacted support and they basically said they stopped giving out Heist codes long ago because the codes "got around". Luckily he did give me my code in the end.

Also, another program was at version 1.8 when the heist went on, is currently on version 2.1, and I missed the "discounted upgrade if you order by" date, so I'm stuck with an older version.