PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air Domain Names

MacRumors
Jan 14, 2008, 12:46 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Less than 24 hours to the Macworld Expo Keynote, and speculation runs rampant. MacDailyNews reports (http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/16053/) that a number of additional "MacBookAir" domains have been registered, apparently by Apple.

MacBookAir.net, MacBookAir.org, MacBookAir.us, MacBookAir.info, MacBookAir.biz have been registered by corporate registrar MarkMonitor (http://markmonitor.com/). Most of the registration information is obscured, but the billing information for several of the domains is attributed to John Donald who carries an apple.com email address. Typically, this information can be faked, but the registration also shares an internal billing ID (MKN-14211616) which is indeed Apple's (based on other domains).

The evidence isn't conclusive, however, as MarkMonitor provides some automated trademark protection services to corporations:
Also continuously monitors new domain registrations that may infringe upon a company's brands and divert traffic to sites selling counterfeit or gray market goods.
So the MacBookAir domain registrations may have been triggerd by the MacBookAir.com domain registration - which was not registered by Apple.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/14/macbook-air-domain-names/)

simontarr
Jan 14, 2008, 12:49 PM
Sounds like this rumor is likely to become fact tomorrow!

Just as well- I would find an ultra-portable ultra-useful for work.

offwidafairies
Jan 14, 2008, 12:51 PM
this is such a cool rumour. lighter than air. mmmm. hope its tiny!

Tom B.
Jan 14, 2008, 12:54 PM
This doesn't really prove anything. Apple don't own macbook.com (http://www.macbook.com/), or macbookpro.com (http://www.macbookpro.com/).

Peace
http://macbook.com/ error 509 exceeded bandwidth..This means it's not Apple.

http://macbookpro.com/ this is a private company that Apple has not taken down.

http://macpro.com/ another private company..

The list goes on..This news means nothing.

Phil A.
There is absolutely no way Apple would run around registering these MacBookAir.* domains but let the .com one get away.
Sounds to me like the rumors have driven the registrations with someone trying to strike it lucky with a domain (just like macbookpro.com)

koobcamuk
Well, this hype is getting insane. Let's see what happens tomorrow!

bking1000
Jan 14, 2008, 12:55 PM
Hmmm... Being new to Apple, maybe I'm off, but having worked in sw during the whole internet era, most all companies grab these domain names long before they launch to market (it's too risky to wait -- if a squatter grabs your domain, ur hosed or paying big $$$, or suing, which can still cost big $$$)

It would be interesting to hear WHEN these domains were registered. If yesterday, than it's bull. If 2-4 months ago, that's more likely.

Edit: Tom B, Peace and Phil A I think sum it up, anyway

Zukum
Jan 14, 2008, 12:57 PM
What about a computer marketed to the HUGE population of people that don't want to carry an extra bag for their laptop. Something that would fit in a purse or handbag?

MrPlywood
Jan 14, 2008, 12:57 PM
I think it's really funny how some people are so up in arms over the not-yet-confirmed name MacBookAir. As if they wouldn't buy based on that alone.

If the product is real, it hardly matters what the name is. The marketing guys at Apple are the masters of branding, and before you know it "Air" will be THE term in the popular vernacular used to describe an ultra-light computer.

As far as the domain names and squatters, if Apple has trademarked the name, then the squatters are SOL. Apple will get the domain names that it wants, whenever it wants.

Gunga Din
Jan 14, 2008, 12:58 PM
Honestly, I don't understand why alot of people would get excited about a smaller notebook. Just seems silly. The 15.4" screen one is already very portable.

Kind of the same thought process as watching moives or tv on a small 3.5" screen. Why not watch at home on your 50" ? Guess its good if you travel alot but this is getting ridiculous.

Even when I used my brother's iTouch to web browse, I found it annoying on such a small screen. Don't get me wrong, its neat to have access to the web in your hand and depending on your profession, i'm sure alot of people can really justify buying one.

I personally think a 13" Air Slim Notebook or whatever they want to call it, is a waste with the 15" already there. Guess I would much prefer a mid-tower instead (Mac Pro Jr. lol).

arn
Jan 14, 2008, 12:59 PM
http://macbook.com/ error 509 exceeded bandwidth..This means it's not Apple.
http://macbookpro.com/ this is a private company that Apple has not taken down.
http://macpro.com/ another private company..

The list goes on..This news means nothing.

Disagree.

Apple registering a domain means a lot more than NOT registering a domain name.

arn

Paix247
Jan 14, 2008, 01:02 PM
Hmmm... Being new to Apple, maybe I'm off, but having worked in sw during the whole internet era, most all companies grab these domain names long before they launch to market (it's too risky to wait -- if a squatter grabs your domain, ur hosed or paying big $$$, or suing, which can still cost big $$$)

It would be interesting to hear WHEN these domains were registered. If yesterday, than it's bull. If 2-4 months ago, that's more likely.

Edit: Tom B, Peace and Phil A I think sum it up, anyway

I could be wrong, but it appears they were created Jan. 11, 08 :rolleyes:

PlaceofDis
Jan 14, 2008, 01:03 PM
it is interesting, but i do think it proves nothing at this point.

miketcool
Jan 14, 2008, 01:04 PM
If Apple did indeed purchase these domains, and its just a rumor cover up; stock holders take notice.

emw
Jan 14, 2008, 01:06 PM
I can't imagine that Apple would seriously go for a product called "MacBookAir". Think of all the confusion that would be caused on this board alone due to a product we'd all be calling an "MBA". Of course, it would go well with the iPod High Definition.

johnpaul191
Jan 14, 2008, 01:07 PM
So we are less than 24 hours till the keynote and everything is up in the air. People seem to be leaning towards a new notebook, but the details are all over the place. The only other thing people are really grabbing onto is some change to AppleTV... hardware and/or software (rentals etc). That could be enough to make me dump cable. I feel like the day is coming, but i am not sure we are there yet. Blame the inconsistent broadband in the USA, but delivering that much content here may not be ready for everyone.

Considering Apple revised the Mac Pros (as minor as it was) last week, that makes me think they have other things to spend the keynote on and are not looking for filler. The release of Mac Pros without Blu-Ray drives also seems like an indication that nothing will get them anytime soon. I guess it's possible a Mac Mini/AppleTV would get one first for media center reasons, but who knows. Nothing groundbreaking there anyway. Everyone knows what BluRay does so there is no reason to waste keynote time on it.

Last year was almost all iPhone, and even if they announce an impending iPhone 2.0 (which is obviously coming *some* day), i don't see it taking a whole keynote to talk about. I am going to lean towards thinking Apple has something they want to spend a lot of time on.

Peace
Disagree.

arn

You may be right but I'm not going to be convinced until I see this MacbookAir which imho is a downright bad name.

twoodcc
so macbook air it will be then? less than 22 hours to find out!

yagran
Jan 14, 2008, 01:12 PM
You may be right but I'm not going to be convinced until I see this MacbookAir which imho is a downright bad name.

i think its a good name! you come up with something better?

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 01:13 PM

Yes..

The Maclitebook
The Macbook Lite
The Macbook Light
The Macbook thin

etc..

MisterSalty
Jan 14, 2008, 01:14 PM
In less than 24 hours we'll know for sure...

But just to be safe, let's keep Jessica Simpson away from tomorrow's keynote.

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 01:15 PM
In less than 24 hours we'll know for sure...

But just to be safe, let's keep Jessica Simpson away from tomorrow's keynote.

:D

hehe

poor Dallas..

sorry I was off-topic.

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 14, 2008, 01:15 PM
I think it's really funny how some people are so up in arms over the not-yet-confirmed name MacBookAir. As if they wouldn't buy based on that alone.

I hate "MacBook" and yet I own one. I don't think anyone on this forum is so crackers that they'd buy or not buy a product based on its name, urban legends about Chevy Novas aside. Many people believe that AirBook would sound better, for instance. I agree.

It's an aesthetic judgment, which people are free to make -- and will make -- regardless of your disdain. Surely you do the same thing... you listen to a song and say "that's fantastic!" or "that sucks." You watch a movie and compare it to other movies you've seen.

If the product is real, it hardly matters what the name is. The marketing guys at Apple are the masters of branding, and before you know it "Air" will be THE term in the popular vernacular used to describe an ultra-light computer.

You're presenting a pragmatic argument here, of a species known as Pragmaticus fanboie: that trust in Apple, and they will pwn all and be uber alles and so forth, resistance is futile, etc. It does not contradict the aesthetic judgment of the name, but instead says "it doesn't matter if it's ugly or not. It'll sell." No one on this board doubts that this thing will sell like mad. What we're saying is that the name sucks, in our opinion.

gkarris
Jan 14, 2008, 01:16 PM
Apple just updated their homepage!!! :eek:

(breathe, breathe, must remember to breathe.... goes and hides credit cards...)

Phil A.
Jan 14, 2008, 01:16 PM
Disagree.

arn

Where's the evidence that Apple have even registered these domain names? If you look at the whois records none of them mention the MKN- contact specified in the original post:

l$ whois macbookair.net |grep MKN-; whois macbookair.org|grep MKN-;
whois macbookair.us|grep MKN-; whois macbookair.info|grep MKN-;
whois macbookair.biz|grep MKN-

Registrant ID: MKN-14570324
Administrative Contact ID: MKN-14570324
Billing Contact ID: MKN-14570324
Technical Contact ID: MKN-14570324
Registrant ID: MKN-14570326
Administrative Contact ID: MKN-14570324
Billing Contact ID: MKN-14570324
Technical Contact ID: MKN-14570324

Also, if you look at the registration time, it's all around 22:00 UTC on Friday: Seems a strange time for Apple to be registering these, don't you think? Co-incidentally, the registration of macbookair.com also occurred around this time

emw
Jan 14, 2008, 01:18 PM
It doesn't fit with the current naming program. They're more likely to come up with a completely different name than to bastardize the MacBook line with something like "MacBook Air".

As for a better name, there's a reason I'm not in marketing. ;)

bdkennedy1
Jan 14, 2008, 01:20 PM
What the hell are you talking about. It's the same homepage that's been there for a week.

FoxyKaye
Jan 14, 2008, 01:20 PM

Hey - I just had a thought. Maybe the new sub-notebook doubles as a Frisbee, which would definitely make it "something in the air."

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 01:21 PM
What the hell are you talking about. It's the same homepage that's been there for a week.

Nope it now has "Something In The Air"

haoqfu
I could be wrong, but it appears they were created Jan. 11, 08 :rolleyes:

yes, it was created on Jan. 11th, 08. I was going to register for the same domain on 12th., but found out it was registered one day before!!

Pants Dragon

Yes..

The Maclitebook
The Macbook Lite
The Macbook Light
The Macbook thin

etc..

Or the obvious...

MacBook Mini
MacBook Nano

aswitcher
Jan 14, 2008, 01:22 PM
Doesn't much more real than that.

AppleMojo
Jan 14, 2008, 01:23 PM
Honestly, I don't understand why alot of people would get excited about a smaller notebook. Just seems silly. The 15.4" screen one is already very portable.

Apple's 12" Aluminum Powerbook was one of their best selling notebooks. Even today, the resell value on these is incredible.

It was one of my favorite machines, and it was replaced with a 13" Macbook because of size.

Even a 15" notebook isn't handy to toss around, and a 17" is meant for a desk.

If you haven't given it a shot, you don't know what you are missing.

Paix247
Jan 14, 2008, 01:26 PM
Apple's 12" Aluminum Powerbook was one of their best selling notebooks. Even today, the resell value on these is incredible.

It was one of my favorite machines, and it was replaced with a 13" Macbook because of size.

Even a 15" notebook isn't handy to toss around, and a 17" is meant for a desk.

If you haven't given it a shot, you don't know what you are missing.

Yes! My first mac ever was the Rev. A 12" Powerbook... followed by the 1.33 12" and then the MacBook Pro. The 12" Powerbook was perfect.

GeekLawyer
Jan 14, 2008, 01:27 PM

You always have information; you're always in the know.

But on this you're definitely helping to misdirect everyone from a possible new product. Hmmm... :p

OrangeCuse44
Jan 14, 2008, 01:30 PM
No matter how wacky the news is, its all exciting. About 21 hours left...

Switched2aMac
Jan 14, 2008, 01:31 PM
Not sure if I read the new Apple page right, it says, "Watch the Macworld 2008 Keynote by Steve Jobs, Tues afternoon at Apple.com." Is there going to be a live Keynote this year? That would be cool.:)

Or is that implying a few hours later when everyone is downloading the Keynote???

Manatee
Jan 14, 2008, 01:31 PM
Ahh... This time tomorrow, we will know.

I just hope it is available immediately, so I'll have it in time for upcoming travel. I guess I should have been camping out at the Apple Store to see what got delivered.

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 01:32 PM
Not sure if I read the new Apple page right, it says, "Watch the Macworld 2008 Keynote by Steve Jobs, Tues afternoon at Apple.com." Is there going to be a live Keynote this year? That would be cool.:)

Or is that implying a few hours later when everyone is downloading the Keynote???

If it was live Apple would have said Tues. morning.

bdkennedy1
Sorry! Safari must have loaded a cached version. When I checked, it was still the Mac Pro on there.

Nope it now has "Something In The Air"

Manatee

I think what they mean is, "watch how fast Arn can type!" :)

cdavi060
Jan 14, 2008, 01:33 PM
where will i be able o find out all of this information when it is fact? Will apple put it on their webpage or what? Will I be able order from the site tomorrow or go to the apple store to see the new notebook? Just wondering.

Switched2aMac
Jan 14, 2008, 01:34 PM
If it was live Apple would have said Tues. morning.

Kinda what I thought, would be cool live!!!!

mcmillan

OMGGGGG!!!! NEW FONT!!!!!! ;)

gkarris
where will i be able o find out all of this information when it is fact? Will apple put it on their webpage or what? Will I be able order from the site tomorrow or go to the apple store to see the new notebook? Just wondering.

They'll have it on the homepage and have a dedicated page for it. It will also say when it ships if right away or sometime later...

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 01:36 PM

The current Apple homepage "Something In The Air" should be replaced with the new ( insert product name here ) banner.

gkarris
Jan 14, 2008, 01:36 PM
OMGGGGG!!!! NEW FONT!!!!!! ;)

New family of computers! :p

Macula
Jan 14, 2008, 01:49 PM
Were it not for the codes that allegedly refer to Apple, I would say that this is completely unconvincing.

mst0192
Jan 14, 2008, 01:50 PM
seems like they registered also macbookair.DE (which is probably the largest market in europe)

Aniej
Jan 14, 2008, 01:52 PM
how much does a domain registration cost, a few bucks? While I strongly believe we will see a slimbook tomorrow, this is a cheap and easy way to keep the name rumors swirling. And, perhaps unlike some others, I really don't take issue with the name Air at all, if that is really even turns out to be the name. I'm Just looking forward to a great MWSF 08 and another exciting keynote.

timwindsor
Jan 14, 2008, 01:54 PM
What about the possibility that Apple's releasing a notebook with built-in EVDO, maybe even subsidized like Kindle.

So you can get on the net "over the air" without worrying about hotspots or hard-connections.

Seems very Apple-like.

Intarweb
Jan 14, 2008, 01:54 PM
There is no way that this thing will be called the Air.

Sig it!

mtrctyjoe
Jan 14, 2008, 01:55 PM
Could this also be some kind of major overhall to .Mac? It sure does need it! Steve has always said they are neglecting .Mac and to "just wait"... maybe we will be able to virtually connect to our Macs via .Mac / iChat type deal from ANYWHERE in the World! Some new slick Apple version of remote Desktop for the average guy? I am getting excited....

Maybe we could control our Macs from anywhere via WiFi with our iPhone or this new MacBook Air when it is away from the optional iMac docking port? Think Remote Desk / IChat Screen share... but on your iPhone/MacBook Air!

YES YES YES !!!!

Project
Jan 14, 2008, 02:02 PM
Yes..

The Maclitebook
The Macbook Lite
The Macbook Light
The Macbook thin

etc..

Sorry, but I prefer Air to all of your suggestions.

Maclitebook is ridiculous.
Macbook Lite/Light is cliche. Thats why Nano works. Its quite unique.
Macbook Thin sounds even more ridiculous.

I am sure there are better names than Macbook Air, but it isn't that bad, and certainly better than the suggestions you came up with.

I mean, MacBook Thin? Really?

Manatee
Jan 14, 2008, 02:05 PM
I've been lobbying for "MacBook Slim".

MacBook Air is goofy. But if that's really it, and it's a great product, who cares? Er, who cairs? ;)

kornyboy
Jan 14, 2008, 02:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Less than 24 hours. We will just have to see.

MrPlywood
Jan 14, 2008, 02:06 PM
It's an aesthetic judgment, which people are free to make -- and will make -- regardless of your disdain. Surely you do the same thing... you listen to a song and say "that's fantastic!" or "that sucks." You watch a movie and compare it to other movies you've seen.

You're presenting a pragmatic argument here, of a species known as Pragmaticus fanboie: that trust in Apple, and they will pwn all and be uber alles and so forth, resistance is futile, etc. It does not contradict the aesthetic judgment of the name, but instead says "it doesn't matter if it's ugly or not. It'll sell." No one on this board doubts that this thing will sell like mad. What we're saying is that the name sucks, in our opinion.

LOL. Note that I never said whether or not I cared for the name. I merely pointed out that a lot of the posts (in this thread and others) were more concerned about the name of a speculative product more so than the likelihood and importance of the product itself. It's a moot point really, since as of now, there is no name, and no product.

And I'm no fanboy (I take it that was somewhat of an insult). I don't even play one on TV. However, I am a visual designer/art director and have done plenty work in technical and computer related publishing and marketing, and there's no denying that Apple knows how to brand and market their products, whatever they turn out to be. That's all. And please read that carefully. Just because I acknowledged that point doesn't mean that I think Apple can do no wrong...

Segmac
Jan 14, 2008, 02:06 PM
To me that line sounds like they are going to start their own apple TV/Music network. Not much of a chance for that to happen but thats at least as good a guess as all this build up based only on a few domain registrations.

Airbook... possibly. MacBook Air possible. but don't most of the MWSF banners indirectly link to the final product? I have always thought they were more implied connections rather than giving anything away ahead of time.

ariel
Jan 14, 2008, 02:09 PM
what ever happened with that patent Apple had with the laptop with the CD/DVD door on the bottom (instead of the slot loading way)? Maybe that's on the 'Air' and the optical stays?

TheOnlyOasis
Jan 14, 2008, 02:11 PM
Are you guys serious? I personally think Macbook Air sounds like a cool name.

Macbook Thin... haha that sounds horrible. Almost as bad as Maclitebook.

tgildred
Jan 14, 2008, 02:13 PM
Yes..

The Maclitebook
The Macbook Lite
The Macbook Light
The Macbook thin

etc..

Guess it's a matter of opinion. All your suggestions sounds as lame, or more lame than "air." And in one case about 20x as lame. Air doesn't bother me. As long as the product it's attached to is good. Which I personally am sure it will be.

Project
Jan 14, 2008, 02:17 PM
Are you guys serious? I personally think Macbook Air sounds like a cool name.

Macbook Thin... haha that sounds horrible. Almost as bad as Maclitebook.

Yeah, I've had the name MacBook Air in my head for a few days now and i'm used to it. I like it.

Certainly better than Dell Inspiron 1525.

Or MacBook Thin.

Paix247
Jan 14, 2008, 02:18 PM
I think the most likely thing is a 12" MacBook Pro 0.8"-1.0" thin. And redesigned MacBook Pros accross the line.

seamuskrat
Jan 14, 2008, 02:22 PM
Apple Air

represents a new platform to build upon

kornyboy
Jan 14, 2008, 02:28 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Less than a day to go. We will find out everything then.

**Sorry for the double post. Edge messed up on me when I hit submit the first time on my iPhone**

Darkroom
Jan 14, 2008, 02:44 PM
humm... no one bought MacBookAir.ca... could be a lucrative (yet slimy) investment if someone is interested...

nsbio
Jan 14, 2008, 02:45 PM
I vote for Macbook 2516GjZo3 (with options 2516GjZo3/X and 2516GjZo3/Y).

I think it is a cool name - or darn, the second part is already taken by DELL :D

GeekLawyer
Jan 14, 2008, 02:50 PM
I vote for Macbook 2516GjZo3 (with options 2516GjZo3/X and 2516GjZo3/Y).

I think it is a cool name - or darn, the second part is already taken by DELL :D

Now that's funny. :D

AoWolf
Jan 14, 2008, 02:52 PM
There is no way that this thing will be called the Air.

Sig it!

I'll go on the record: I like the name Macbook Air.

For those of you that don't, it really doesn't matter because tomorrow you will be complaining about the features it doesn't have.

theheadguy
Jan 14, 2008, 02:56 PM
Also, if you look at the registration time, it's all around 22:00 UTC on Friday: Seems a strange time for Apple to be registering these, don't you think? Co-incidentally, the registration of macbookair.com also occurred around this time

We are T-Minus 20 hours before the keynote. You can bet your bottom dollar people are working overtime right now. Additionally, didn't Arn get called around 2 am when the iPod videos were leaked? Apple is on the lookout day and night regarding their intellectual property rights. Registration of a domain name at 22:00 UTC means absolutely nothing.

gmeddles
Jan 14, 2008, 03:00 PM
I think some Trademark attorney who works for Nike is absolutely dreaming and hoping for a product named AIR to be announced tomorrow.

theheadguy
Jan 14, 2008, 03:03 PM
I think some Trademark attorney who works for Nike is absolutely dreaming and hoping for a product named AIR to be announced tomorrow.
Welcome to MR.

Considering the fact that Apple's COO is on the board of directors for Nike I think Apple will make it through the lawsuit. :rolleyes:

mst0192
Jan 14, 2008, 03:07 PM

as long as apple doesn't start to produce shoes (or sportswear), this should be no problem.

Schnebar
Jan 14, 2008, 03:17 PM
Apple might have seen the talk about Macbook Air then wanted to send us on a wild goose chase so we would not talk about what is actually coming out. Or the true name of the laptop.

We have hundreds of posts in the last few days just talking about this name. If we did not get this hint, then what else would we be talking about. Maybe there is some big apple TV announcement and they did not want us to talk about it so they bought up those domains.

shemp9999
Jan 14, 2008, 03:18 PM
as long as apple doesn't start to produce shoes (or sportswear), this should be no problem.

then i can't wait for my pair of sosumi sandals!

sharpeiboy
Jan 14, 2008, 03:20 PM
Honestly, I don't understand why alot of people would get excited about a smaller notebook. Just seems silly. The 15.4" screen one is already very portable....

I commute daily with my 12" G4. The weight along with my charger and a few other things adds up on my back. I'd like a portable the same size as my G4, but updated and lighter.

Weight Comparisons:

12-inch PowerBook G4: 4.6 pounds

15-inch MacBook Pro: 5.4 pounds

17-inch MacBook Pro, 6.8 pounds

sharpeiboy
Jan 14, 2008, 03:24 PM
It doesn't fit with the current naming program. They're more likely to come up with a completely different name than to bastardize the MacBook line with something like "MacBook Air".

As for a better name, there's a reason I'm not in marketing. ;)

It doesn't make sense from a communications perspective to say "There is something in the air" and show the tagline above the Apple logo (to imply in the sky) for a new laptop. Why would a laptop (even if it was as light as air) actually be in the air/sky?

I would bet this has more to do with a streaming announcement or some other sort of data.

dwman
Jan 14, 2008, 03:44 PM
Maybe if it has hi-speed connectivity built in for future wireless networks, they could call it WiMac. ;)

deathshrub
Jan 14, 2008, 03:47 PM
Sounds like this rumor is likely to become fact tomorrow!

Just as well- I would find an ultra-portable ultra-useful for work.

Are you dense or did you just not read the article?

APPLE DOES NOT OWN MACBOOKAIR.COM.

shemp9999
Jan 14, 2008, 03:53 PM
I commute daily with my 12" G4. The weight along with my charger and a few other things adds up on my back. I'd like a portable the same size as my G4, but updated and lighter.

Weight Comparisons:

12-inch PowerBook G4: 4.6 pounds

15-inch MacBook Pro: 5.4 pounds

17-inch MacBook Pro, 6.8 pounds

i don't much care for my 15" MBP. i got it for a specific on-the-road video project, but i most often use my Mac Pro for my high-horsepower work. my old 12" iBook was great for what i want a laptop for, around-the-house and at-the-office web browsing, typing and email. i don't need my laptop to encode quicktimes, just to play them. the 15 is just way too big for my everyday laptop needs.

if they come out with a compelling subnotebook at a decent price, i'll leave the 15" in my studio and get a new lightweight friend. if not, i'll still leave the 15" in the studio and start using my GFs 'extra' original core duo macbook.

swagi
Jan 14, 2008, 04:16 PM
i don't much care for my 15" MBP. i got it for a specific on-the-road video project, but i most often use my Mac Pro for my high-horsepower work. my old 12" iBook was great for what i want a laptop for, around-the-house and at-the-office web browsing, typing and email. i don't need my laptop to encode quicktimes, just to play them. the 15 is just way too big for my everyday laptop needs.

if they come out with a compelling subnotebook at a decent price, i'll leave the 15" in my studio and get a new lightweight friend. if not, i'll still leave the 15" in the studio and start using my GFs 'extra' original core duo macbook.

I agree wholeheartedly. The iBook 12" was really perfect in terms of portability. I desperately need to replace my PB G4 with something more portable.

Mrbradon
Jan 14, 2008, 04:21 PM
I dont know if any of you have gone to macbookair.com, but I did.

Go on, take a look. I am predy sure that Apple owns the site. After all it links it to page found within the apple domain. http://www.apple.com/?Will+We+see+a+MacBookAir+on+Tuesday?

Yeah, you think your funny Steve Jobs.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2008, 04:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

mac the knife

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 04:23 PM

Go on, take a look. I am predy sure that Apple owns the site. After all it links it to page found within the apple domain. http://www.apple.com/?Will+We+see+a+MacBookAir+on+Tuesday?

That! that proves my point that apple does not own that domain name. It's a simple redirect.

Cased closed.;)

rctshack
Jan 14, 2008, 04:23 PM
I think we are all looking WAY too far into this...

Literally the banner says "Something in the Air" and somehow this equals MacBook Air? Ok the domain names were all bought around the same time the rumors started. Apple could have asked a person who works for the company to register if they wanted to stay discreet... or registered over the summer with a million different names. I have a feeling that a new laptop may be announced... but at the same time I think the "Air" is referring to wireless which Steve Jobs has talked about before. The only other Apple products with "Air" in them are wireless things. Put two and two together you get a normal answer... not a crazy speculation that you all will be severely disappointed with tomorrow when the computer isn't .5 pounds and have 4 microscopic fusion hard drives in it.

Domain names can be bought by anyone and someone already pointed out that the register person is not the same as we thought. I wouldn't mind a laptop called "MacBook Air" but if this is really apple buying the domains... maybe they are playing a joke on all of us? They can afford to pay $50 for a domain and fuel false rumors to keep us away from what is actually being released right? They are smart people... maybe they have an even better product to show? Ohh well, 18 hours to go!

Dreamer2go
Jan 14, 2008, 04:41 PM
I like the name Macbook Air

It is a lot more creative name than "nano" or "mini" which we already have seen before in its ipod products
Or even "lite" (Come on, the only product that pops right out of your head when the name LITE is mentioned is the Nintendo DS LITE ;))

Air is something new and artistic in a way.

TantalizedMind
Jan 14, 2008, 04:42 PM
So we are less than 24 hours till the keynote and everything is up in the air.

Uh.. Apple said that there is SOMETHING in the air, not EVERYTHING!

mayhem052
Jan 14, 2008, 04:44 PM
I was searhing the "macbookair.com" domain name on archive.com's Wayback Machiene and it led me to this

http://www.apple.com/?Will+We+see+a+MacBookAir+on+Tuesday?

You can check the link it just leads you to apple.com but it says the Will we see a MacBookAir on Tuesday? I think we just might... you can even try the way back machiene note that it will first take you to a error page but if you click the link again the site will pop up.

bxs
Jan 14, 2008, 04:44 PM
a thin X client using Back-to-My-Mac over the air. ;-))

kockgunner
Jan 14, 2008, 04:48 PM

Darn you beat me to it!

Maldini
Jan 14, 2008, 04:49 PM
That! that proves my point that apple does not own that domain name. It's a simple redirect.

Cased closed.;)

Why does the link read "will we see a Macbookair on Tuesday?"
Is this just a redirect or is it Apples?

arn
Jan 14, 2008, 04:50 PM
hey guys. I didn't think it would cause so much confusion.

Apple doesn't own the macbookair.com domain. I reg'd the macbookair.com domain. I pointed it to Apple.com. (fyi, Apple can have the domain if they want it.)

arn

motulist
Jan 14, 2008, 04:53 PM

Apple doesn't own the macbookair.com domain. I reg'd the macbookair.com domain. I pointed it to Apple.com. (fyi, Apple can have the domain if they want it.)

arn

You sneak! ;)

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 04:55 PM

arn

Good one arn :D

Hope you guys are having fun in the city by the bay !!

jman2003
Jan 14, 2008, 05:00 PM
Have none of you noticed this yet??????

go to www.macbookair.com, it takes you to the apple homepage and look at the URL

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 05:01 PM
Have none of you noticed this yet??????

go to www.macbookair.com, it takes you to the apple homepage and look at the URL

Have you noticed the post right above yours ?

Mrbradon
Jan 14, 2008, 05:03 PM
Ok, ok apple does not own macbookair.com arn does. But it redirects to a hidden page on apple.com. So unless arn is a clever hacker who created the page on apples server macbookair.com is owned by someone who is able to create that page and not get fired.

WildCowboy
Jan 14, 2008, 05:13 PM
Ok, ok apple does not own macbookair.com arn does. But it redirects to a hidden page on apple.com. So unless arn is a clever hacker who created the page on apples server macbookair.com is owned by someone who is able to create that page and not get fired.

No you can create any kind of redirect of that sort you want...it doesn't require anything on Apple's end. He could have directed here:

http://www.apple.com/?Will+We+see+a+Pink+Balloon+on+Tuesday?

Jason S.
Jan 14, 2008, 05:15 PM

Add a question mark to a URL and any text after it doesn't mean it's a secret page. It will work for many sites.

See:
http://www.apple.com/?Hi+Mrbradon+How+are+you?

darh
Jan 14, 2008, 05:15 PM

it's me....

http://www.apple.com/?Here+a+special+link+for+you+Mrbradon?

you call put everything you like in there...

jman2003
Jan 14, 2008, 05:17 PM
Have you noticed the post right above yours ?

Yeah, i noticed after I posted it.

coffey7
Jan 14, 2008, 05:37 PM
I thought Michael Jordan owned the term "AIR"? Maybe he will be in the new ads dunking a basket ball holding a very thin Macbook. :D

i3iz
Jan 14, 2008, 05:40 PM
I thought Michael Jordan owned the term "AIR"? Maybe he will be in the new ads dunking a basket ball holding a very thin Macbook. :D

Dugg!

Bostonian1976
Jan 14, 2008, 05:43 PM
dont' know if anyone said it yet, but macbookair.com redirects to this...

shemp9999
Jan 14, 2008, 05:48 PM

http://www.apple.com?They+just+got+done+making+fun+of+the+last+guy+who+said+this+without+reading+the=thread ?

WildCowboy
Jan 14, 2008, 05:48 PM

We know. ;)

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 05:49 PM
http://www.apple.com/?people+here+are+frackin+idiots
:D

DrinkingLizard
Jan 14, 2008, 06:05 PM
I own a 13" Macbook and found it both too large and too heavy whilst on the road (which is most of the time), I wouldn't even consider taking a larger machine on the road with me....try using a larger notebook on a plane for four or more hours and see how much fun that can be (epecially when you're the one sitting next to the 15" notebook).

So I got sick of waiting for apple to bring out something smaller and went out and got a convertible 10.6" tablet machine and I'm very happy with it.

I find that I actually use it more often than any other machine, even at home. Just sitting on the couch (like now) I can send mail, read macrumors, and it's great when I travel for doing powerpoint presentations. And the swivel is great...being able to read forums in portrait, and more importantly PDF's and Word documents the way they appear on paper is fantastic.

I can even run VMware on it (it's a little on the slow side even with the Dual Core processor....mainy due to the 1.8" HDD but the portability makes it all worth while).

The only down side is that it doesn't run OSX.

So to all the nay sayers that continually pop up on these forums complaining that a machine smaller than 15" or 13" or 12" is too small to be useful I say perhaps you should consider that whilst a machine may be too small for your liking perhaps not everyone is the same as you (Steve Jobs are you listening?).

This is especially true in asian markets where people would consider the macbook to be a large machine and the macbook pro (even the 15") to be absolutely enormous ... 11" or 12" is the middle machine size in asia.

Whilst I'm having a rant....I'd also like to snipe at all those on these forums who continually carp on about the "Pro" factor that always pops up on threads about the Mac Pro or the fabled xMac:

Graphic artists aren't the only kind of professional!!!!

...some of us would like to have a professional build of Mac that is a little smaller or cheaper then the so-called *Pro machines so that we can engage in our professional activities which don't include 30" display sizes and rendering or video editing.

</end rant>

Kind of the same thought process as watching moives or tv on a small 3.5" screen. Why not watch at home on your 50" ? Guess its good if you travel alot but this is getting ridiculous.

Even when I used my brother's iTouch to web browse, I found it annoying on such a small screen. Don't get me wrong, its neat to have access to the web in your hand and depending on your profession, i'm sure alot of people can really justify buying one.

I personally think a 13" Air Slim Notebook or whatever they want to call it, is a waste with the 15" already there. Guess I would much prefer a mid-tower instead (Mac Pro Jr. lol).

macbookair
Jan 14, 2008, 06:08 PM
Apple marketing guys and Steve Jobs will never called Macbookair, also domain owner is currently making the Buzz around his domain name.
"Air" written in banner is only a slogan nothing else than that.
If it was a light macbook with new technologies, will be named with a new brand name and not macbook something.

Macbook Air is really not power as marketing brand, it looks like an airline company, so don't waiste your time around the "air"

Type in http://www.apple.com/?macbookair? to have the same result. My profile name is Mackookair so doest it mean because I've redirect to it, it is true to be a macbook air?

You can try : http://www.apple.com/?macrumors?

CoreWeb
Jan 14, 2008, 06:18 PM
OMG!!! macbookair.com redirects to a hidden page on... oh, forget it! :p

I wanted to poke fun at those who didn't realize, but I'm too nice. It is a mistake a person who is not familiar with how some things online work could make... though, had they been READING the thread, it would not have been a problem.

Still, I thought I would offer a bit of an explanation, for those who don't know, on why that URL works. (If someone else has explained already, I must have missed it - sorry).

The ? (question mark) is usually used split the URL into two parts. The first part, before the question mark, specifies where the page is. That's the apple.com/ part. The second part, after the question mark, specifies additional information that may be used to create the web page.

Notice that this website also uses the question mark to separate page location from information. Take the following URL:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=413917&page=5

forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php - the location of the page

? - the delimiter I wrote of

t=413917 - the thread number
&page=5 - the page number. The & usually begins a new piece of information.

As such, the page seen when the browser is redirected from macbookair.com is in fact, simply the home page. The information after the question mark is completely ignored.

Of course, none of those who would benefit from this explanation will actually read it, as they will be too busy posting how macbookair.com redirects to a special page on Apple's site. :D

joegomolski
Jan 14, 2008, 06:30 PM
OK

Please read the posts before you post to see if it's already been posted!

Second point. You all sound like a dog chasing it's tail.

CoreWeb
Jan 14, 2008, 06:33 PM
OK

Please read the posts before you post to see if it's already been posted!

Second point. You all sound like a dog chasing it's tail.

It must be fun to watch! (EDIT: read?)

ssafari
Jan 14, 2008, 06:38 PM
foolled me!

crumscheidt
Jan 14, 2008, 06:48 PM
Just Let Me Have One For School!!!!!

Mrbradon
Jan 14, 2008, 06:52 PM
Ok, I am an idiot who loves windows vista. My bad. I will shut up.

mayhem052
Jan 14, 2008, 07:34 PM
I realize that thing with the web address probably means nothing. But consider the fact that I got to that web address using Archive.com's Wayback Machine I promise that I did not fake this you can try it yourself I guarantee you will have the same result say what you will but I will stick by my prior post.

Maldini
Jan 14, 2008, 08:35 PM
OMG!!! macbookair.com redirects to a hidden page on... oh, forget it! :p

I wanted to poke fun at those who didn't realize, but I'm too nice. It is a mistake a person who is not familiar with how some things online work could make... though, had they been READING the thread, it would not have been a problem.

Still, I thought I would offer a bit of an explanation, for those who don't know, on why that URL works. (If someone else has explained already, I must have missed it - sorry).

The ? (question mark) is usually used split the URL into two parts. The first part, before the question mark, specifies where the page is. That's the apple.com/ part. The second part, after the question mark, specifies additional information that may be used to create the web page.

Notice that this website also uses the question mark to separate page location from information. Take the following URL:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=413917&page=5

forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php - the location of the page

? - the delimiter I wrote of

t=413917 - the thread number
&page=5 - the page number. The & usually begins a new piece of information.

As such, the page seen when the browser is redirected from macbookair.com is in fact, simply the home page. The information after the question mark is completely ignored.

Of course, none of those who would benefit from this explanation will actually read it, as they will be too busy posting how macbookair.com redirects to a special page on Apple's site. :D

Thank you...very informative for a non-pro like me :D

CoreWeb
Jan 14, 2008, 09:35 PM
Thank you...very informative for a non-pro like me :D

I'm glad my post was of use. :)

I do a lot of web programming. Still, as my dad says, the carpenter's door is the squeakiest: my website is SLOW. That's because it is poorly coded. I was working on a replacement the weekend before last, but then I made too many mistakes (I was rushing, trying to finish it in one weekend; had I not rushed, I would have managed). Then, last weekend, I caught a cold (thankfully, a short-lived one: it was at its worst on Friday, its first day). Anyway: I got better. :)

I'm eagerly awaiting tomorrow; I'll be in school for some of it, and at work for another part, but the school class is my favorite class, and in work I'll probably be able to check in.

Finally, now that I'm done talking about myself, the ego-centric person which I am, I DO NOT think it will be named MacBook Air, simply because I don't agree that you can get the name from the quote that started it all: "There's something in the air."

I think 2005 was something like "Life is random." Now, which of those words was a product named after? None. Instead, the word "random" was related to the product name, "Shuffle."

So, it is likely that the product, whatever it is, may have something to do with air, but will likely not be named Air itself. I'd guess it is not referring to an ultraportable (why's it in the air?) but perhaps some kind of media server or something wireless. Perhaps an ultraportable if it were ultrawireless as well.

I could be very wrong, but there's my take.

Stori
Jan 15, 2008, 03:26 AM
I own a 13" Macbook and found it both too large and too heavy whilst on the road (which is most of the time), I wouldn't even consider taking a larger machine on the road with me....try using a larger notebook on a plane for four or more hours and see how much fun that can be (epecially when you're the one sitting next to the 15" notebook).

So I got sick of waiting for apple to bring out something smaller and went out and got a convertible 10.6" tablet machine and I'm very happy with it.

I find that I actually use it more often than any other machine, even at home. Just sitting on the couch (like now) I can send mail, read macrumors, and it's great when I travel for doing powerpoint presentations. And the swivel is great...being able to read forums in portrait, and more importantly PDF's and Word documents the way they appear on paper is fantastic.

</end rant>

I have a 12" G4 PB and it is the largest size I would consider taking with me when travelling. I bought an Asus EEE 7" and for typical internet, Skype MSN and Email it is almost perfect. Light, rugged, and cheap.
I definitely would like a 12" PB replacement but a 13" Macbook is not the beast to do that!

HowEver
Jan 15, 2008, 08:32 AM
That's what I thought/think about MacBook. "is really not power"

Then I used one and didn't care about the name as much.

Apple marketing guys and Steve Jobs will never called Macbookair, also domain owner is currently making the Buzz around his domain name.
"Air" written in banner is only a slogan nothing else than that.
If it was a light macbook with new technologies, will be named with a new brand name and not macbook something.

Macbook Air is really not power as marketing brand, it looks like an airline company, so don't waiste your time around the "air"

Type in http://www.apple.com/?macbookair? to have the same result. My profile name is Mackookair so doest it mean because I've redirect to it, it is true to be a macbook air?

You can try : http://www.apple.com/?macrumors?

gnasher729
Jan 15, 2008, 09:17 AM
There is absolutely no way Apple would run around registering these MacBookAir.* domains but let the .com one get away.
Sounds to me like the rumors have driven the registrations with someone trying to strike it lucky with a domain (just like macbookpro.com)

Good luck with that. There are two possibilities: If Apple isn't interested in the domain, then they are not interested. If they want it, they will take the person registering it to court. The situation would be different if the domain was registered before the MacBook was released, or if your name is James MacBook and you run an airline and use the site to advertise it.