PDA

View Full Version : Thin MacBook Design Details?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Jan 14, 2008, 07:21 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/14/201055-airbook_side_425.jpg

Wired mockup design
Wired's Gadget Blog (http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/01/breaking-macboo.html) claims to have last minute details on the thin MacBook that is expected to be released tomorrow at Steve Jobs' Keynote address. While Wired's Gadget Blog has not been a traditional source of Apple rumors, we presume they have a degree of confidence in this report to print it.

According to the Gadget Blog, the new laptop is "unbelievably thin" and incorporates the same black-on-silver look that has infiltrated Apple's other consumer products. The laptop itself is described as a tapering design, thicker at the towards the top and thinner near the edges. The article intermingles some outside rumors but does seem to suggest that that the laptop will have a multi-touch screen.

Apple will announce new products tomorrow during the Macworld Keynote speech. We'll have live coverage (http://www.macrumorslive.com) of the keynote on Tuesday, January 15th starting at 9am Pacific.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/14/thin-macbook-design-details/)

ClassicMac247
Jan 14, 2008, 07:23 PM
if thats the case its beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

headfuzz
Jan 14, 2008, 07:24 PM
^^^

I'll take one of those, please. :cool:

Peace
I absolutly love Wired's Photoshops !!

check out the adium icon in the menu bar :D

coolant113
That is very Nice.. you got any speculations on the price?? of watever is coming out??:apple::apple:

Creibold
Jan 14, 2008, 07:25 PM
One word, as with all Apple products: sexy.

headfuzz
Jan 14, 2008, 07:25 PM
you got any speculations on the price??

Like it would stop us buying it! :p

Astro8973
Jan 14, 2008, 07:26 PM
looks awsome. i dont really care cuz my macbook is only 6 months old :). i really want itunes to add rentals. that may pursuade me to purchase an :apple:tv and new tv. CANT WAIT!

ziwi
Jan 14, 2008, 07:26 PM
Very nice...now what is the catch...;)

OMGWTFBBQ
Jan 14, 2008, 07:27 PM
If this thing is multi-touch, I hope there is some software trickledown for the iphone!

thejadedmonkey
Jan 14, 2008, 07:29 PM
SWEET! That's what I want, and what my MBP isn't!

Agent Smith
Not to be Captain Negative, but that seems a bit too thin to me. More likely the base would be closer to the thickness of the new Apple keyboard. That said, it is a very nice looking mockup. Just my two cents. :)

gusapple

Apple can charge me 5000 bucks for this and I would buy it, knowing that they would take $2000 dollars of that $5000 and turn it into R&D money. They would then make an even better design. Thus... Wait, it's a never ending cycle!!!!!

DakotaGuy
Jan 14, 2008, 07:30 PM
The mockup pic makes it look as thin as a RAZR2. That is unbelievable!
http://media.gwn.com/hardware_news/77836162946c11f53d3289.jpg

aztwin15
the one thing that i dont like about the rumors is the lack of an optical drive
isnt that pretty limiting?

still
it looks amazing

rockthecasbah
*drools*

If that mock up is anything near the release tomorrow, i may be in heaven... this has seriously made my night since i'll be in the market!!! :)

SciTeach
Jan 14, 2008, 07:31 PM
What?!.....It's not in colors!?!;)

plumbingandtech

still
it looks amazing

Discussed many many many times over.

I consider a lack of an optical a plus. YMMV.

headfuzz
Apple can charge me 5000 bucks for this and I would buy it, knowing that they would take $2000 dollars of that $5000 and turn it into R&D money. They would then make an even better design. Thus... Wait, it's a never ending cycle!!!!!

By jove, I think he's got it! :p

NAG
Jan 14, 2008, 07:32 PM
Wired always has some good speculation.

CalfCanuck
Jan 14, 2008, 07:32 PM
Looks awesome - if it's true that's great for new converts as well as us old-timers.

Sort of reminds me of my original Mac 128K back in 1984. Or not.

Jan 14, 2008, 07:33 PM
... very sexy, and oh how i wish i had your username right now, OMGWTFBBQ, as that is my first impression too, haha...

MarlboroLite
Hmm not a big fan of Dell/Sony style thicker at the top-thinner at the bottom type of laptops but we shall see...

nagromme
My aching forearms say "no multitouch screen!"

Unless it opens flat and rigid, half screen and half keys, and then you'd have tablet-style touch computing. Though I can't think of many instances where I'd actually find such a thing useful.

So I tend to agree with my forearms.

devilot
Jan 14, 2008, 07:34 PM
Hmm, as much as I'm a huge fan of ultra-portable with no optical drive, I'd still like an ethernet port. There are still quite a few places that will have free high speed 'net w/ ethernet, but not wifi.

Bubbasteve
Jan 14, 2008, 07:35 PM
I'm calling fake cause of the Tiger OS
:cool:yeah I'm kidding

nagromme
Jan 14, 2008, 07:36 PM

That mockup pic (which should not be taken seriously since it's speculation) looks about as thick as my old PBG4! And it looks to have a 17" screen! (I'm judging by those USB ports.) :p

I like the glass rumor--that cleanable screen is the best thing about the new iMacs. I'd like that on any LCD. (But if it would add weight/thickness then I'm skeptical.)

brguitarist
Jan 14, 2008, 07:37 PM
hmm, if it looks like that i might be upgrading sooner than i expected... :rolleyes:

Dagless
Hmm, I don't like the look of that. But we'll see in a few hours.

Telp

...It would stop me...?

aztwin15
i still think that, right now at least, an optical drive is more important than ethernet

is the idea that it would be used in connection with a docking station to allow for an external optical

rockthecasbah

still
it looks amazing

It's limiting to not have an optical drive at all, but most of the rumors have suggested an external drive, meaning that it could still have the functionality but only when you need it. I think that is a very good idea, since many people use their optical drives only infrequently at the very most! Thus these people can shed the weight that they won't need and get more computing power.

tgildred
Jan 14, 2008, 07:38 PM

What's really unbelievable is that picture you just posted makes me want a razr2...

Aperture
Jan 14, 2008, 07:39 PM
Really nice. Excellent PS job even if it isn't real.

aztwin15
Jan 14, 2008, 07:40 PM
It's limiting to not have an optical drive at all, but most of the rumors have suggested an external drive, meaning that it could still have the functionality but only when you need it. I think that is a very good idea, since many people use their optical drives only infrequently at the very most! Thus these people can shed the weight that they won't need and get more computing power.

i still burn CD's and DVD's regularly including video production stuff
so i guess that's my reason for it being impractical

and also, if i had an ultra portable laptop, id want to be able to watch DVD's when traveling

Yankees 4 Life
i would definitely buy one of these and cash out some stock tomorrow to do so...

cloudnine

YMMV? What in the he11 does that mean? o_O :rolleyes:

MarlboroLite
Jan 14, 2008, 07:41 PM
If it's that thin, it looks like only 2 USB ports at most...that sucks! And probably underpowered too....sigh :(

devilot
i still think that, right now at least, an optical drive is more important than ethernet It's limiting to not have an optical drive at all, but most of the rumors have suggested an external drive, meaning that it could still have the functionality but only when you need it. Exactly.

I rarely use the optical drive. But I basically don't use a computer if there's no internet and like it or not, the US is a bit behind the rest of the world in terms of internet speeds/ access and so to me, an ethernet port makes more sense than an internal optical drive.

YMMV? What in the he11 does that mean? o_O :rolleyes:Your Mileage May Vary. Or, "It really just depends; might not be the same for everyone, everywhere."

Yankees 4 Life
What's really unbelievable is that picture you just posted makes me want a razr2...

get an iphone ;)

techie4life
If that is even close to real, what do you think the specs would be?

FreeState
Jan 14, 2008, 07:42 PM

Sounds like this is not meant to be marketed as a machine for production, but rather very consumer oriented.

and also, if i had an ultra portable laptop, id want to be able to watch DVD's when traveling

iTunes Movie rentals via WiFi....

Kallikinos
All I can say is very sexy. *dies*

cloudnine

I totally agree. While I barely ever use my superdrive, it's still nice to know that it's there for when I want to rip CD's to my iTunes library, and for the occasional DVD's I burn for the 'rents, etc.

daneoni
Its too thin...it looks frail/weak like it wont be able to do any real work besides surfing the internet, running pages and i suppose make you look hip whilst doing so. If its as thin as that, i can bet no discrete graphics, no REAL powerful processor most likely a ULV chip.

It also kinda looks like a toy...kinda. Meh.

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 07:43 PM
I'm guessing the other side of the laptop has 2 other ports. Maybe one is that fancy folding ethernet.

Badandy
Really nice. Excellent PS job even if it isn't real.

It's a mock-up...

aztwin15
I rarely use the optical drive. But I basically don't use a computer if there's no internet and like it or not, the US is a bit behind the rest of the world in terms of internet speeds/ access and so to me, an ethernet port makes more sense than an internal optical drive.

you can't completely rule out some advance in wifi with this computer that would eliminate ethernet necessity

i just am hoping to cut down on cords altogether, so an external optical drive and an ethernet cord is not appealing

devilot
Jan 14, 2008, 07:44 PM
I'm guessing the other side of the laptop has 2 other ports. Maybe one is that fancy folding ethernet. :o Wouldn't it need a place to connect to a charger?

meagain

I agree! My husband has the Toshiba r500 1.7 pounder and it's really cool except for flaws (display is laughable). I want Apple to make him regret buying it. :D

Eidorian
USB to Ethernet adapter anyone? Maybe an induction charger as well.

It looks quite slick though getting rid of some excess hardware.

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 07:45 PM
:o Wouldn't it need a place to connect to a charger?

Maybe that's the other port.:)

plinkoman
it had better not be tapered like that...

I think it completely ruins an otherwise amazing design.

Flail
I can understand a bit of taper in the body, but I would think that if they are pushing thin, the screen would have a more svelte bum. And I think the aluminum would (will?) be darker.

As far as it not having an optical drive, could Apple conceivably market separate media (iLife and the like) on flash drives or is that cost prohibitive? Because, while I think this thing should go completely wireless, it's nice to have a physical copy of an application.

By way of stream of consciousness, perhaps you could dock it at the Apple retail store and buy/download apps via firewire.

And I'd also like a pony, and a train and... and... and...

Twilight Elk
Jan 14, 2008, 07:46 PM
Believe it or not, I don't like it.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty awesome, but I actually would not buy this item, probably BECAUSE its so thin. I would buy our current-MacBooks if only I had the money. We'll see how this turns out though ^_-

cloudnine
As long as there are a couple USB ports, a firewire port, a mini DVI port, a headphone jack, and as long as it can run Adobe CS3 without it lagging, I will buy it in a heartbeat... I'm not too big on the black/silver iMac look, though... at least not on a portable... just my opinion :/ I could care less about an ethernet cable... I don't think I've connected my PBG4 to an ethernet cable in the past 2 years.

BornAgainMac
I expect it to not have firewire. It won't be something you use Final Cut Pro. I am glad they finally dropped the optical. It isn't meant to be your only computer. I hope they know how to apply the thermal grease on this thin Macbook so it doesn't run too hot.

Dagless
Jan 14, 2008, 07:47 PM
it had better not be tapered like that...

I think it completely ruins an otherwise amazing design.

That is exactly my concern. Plus I think I was too hyped over a proper tablet design. If Apple gave us a big iPod Touch then I'd be over the moon. Personally I think the only way this could look good is if it was small, which the mockups don't show with their stupidly high display resolution.

plumbingandtech
Jan 14, 2008, 07:47 PM
YMMV? What in the he11 does that mean? o_O :rolleyes:

It means his opinion is as valid as any other.

termite
Jan 14, 2008, 07:49 PM
MacBook without a DVD drive only makes sense to me if it's a really really large iPod touch.

Which does make sense to me. A tablet that you can surf from, watch movies on, do email on but that you must sync to a Mac/PC for loading the OS.

My only question is whether they will include a kbd/mouse.

devilot
Jan 14, 2008, 07:49 PM
I expect it to not have firewire. Yup, especially if there's no um, HD majiggie, right? Quite a few generations of iPods now have had gigs and gigs of storage but relied solely on USB, can't imagine a truly portable Mac to have FW as well.

aztwin15
Jan 14, 2008, 07:50 PM
I expect it to not have firewire. It won't be something you use Final Cut Pro. I am glad they finally dropped the optical. It isn't meant to be your only computer.

a macbook isnt something you use final cut pro on
id rather have a laptop that could do the things i need, not just be a nice light-weight piece of technology meant just for internet (assuming it is in the $1500 range)

cloudnine
As far as it not having an optical drive, could Apple conceivably market separate media (iLife and the like) on flash drives or is that cost prohibitive? Because, while I think this thing should go completely wireless, it's nice to have a physical copy of an application.

By way of stream of consciousness, perhaps you could dock it at the Apple retail store and buy/download apps via firewire.

I've actually thought about that a lot, lately... with the lack of an optical drive, I wonder if Apple will start selling their software either via the Apple Store (downloads) or on flash drives? Sounds good to me... 1 flash drive as opposed to 8 DVD's (Final Cut Pro?)

chuckles:)
I don't get where this fits in apples line...

its design would make it more expensive then the macbook, but it doesn't look like it would have enough guts to get anywhere near the pro...

Who is the market?

gescom
Jan 14, 2008, 07:51 PM
I think it looks a lot like the Sony portables with the taper in it. I don't see this being something Apple would do as their design always has something the others don't or didn't think of.

numediaman
Jan 14, 2008, 07:52 PM
Any ultra thin notebook works best as a second computer (IMO). But the problem with second computers will remain file transfer.

Burning a disc by using an attached optical is burdensome. Using Bluetooth remains too slow for larger files.

The answer lies in the iPod: docking and syncing.

Oh, and by the way, I beat the site on this by a half hour -- just bragging. :p

SeanSweeney
Jan 14, 2008, 07:53 PM
i havent been able to picture an ultra portable looking mac in my head till now, omg why do they have to do this to us, gets me all tingly

aztwin15
Jan 14, 2008, 07:54 PM
The answer lies in the iPod: docking and syncing.

something is in the air...

wireless iPod music/data transfer
it sould explain the iPod advertisements in San Francisco this week

Doctor Q
Jan 14, 2008, 07:56 PM
If MacBooks get any thinner, we'll have to start worrying about a gust of wind picking them up.

But at least we'd be able to slip them under the door (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/Flat_stanley.jpg).

blackslayer
Jan 14, 2008, 07:58 PM
Imagine the Battery charger is thicker than this mac:eek::eek:

ImNoSuperMan
Jan 14, 2008, 07:58 PM
OMG Please shut up. All these rumor sites should be shut down 24 hours before all of steve's keynotes. Too much speculation. Too much excitement. It might be hard to beleive but some people still have to report to their jobs today. So please don't make it any more difficult for them.

Fortunately for me though, keynote will start at 10:30PM here. Five minutes after I finish my work :) . But still it doesn't help alot as I'd be checking MR every five minutes while at work. :o

Can't wait. Just a few more hours to go before iChristmas is here. Santa Steve is back in town.

RiCEADDiCTBOY
Jan 14, 2008, 08:02 PM
All I know is that it better be able to run Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator at the same time without a hitch to get my money.

Badandy
you can't completely rule out some advance in wifi with this computer that would eliminate ethernet necessity

i just am hoping to cut down on cords altogether, so an external optical drive and an ethernet cord is not appealing

This has absolutely been beaten to death, but I'll rehash some points just in case people didn't get it the first 11 times.

Whether or not you use your optical drive a lot essentially doesn't matter. The simple fact is, most people do not use their optical drive that often. And those people, if you said they could sacrifice an on-board optical drive for a thinner design + more battery life + more visually stunning case would jump at the chance. It's really not much of a hassle to plug an external into the computer through USB. You keep it at your desk, and plug it in when you need it.

When it comes to the Ethernet port though, they will NEED to have one of those on there. Wireless is far from perfect, it is usually slower and more prone to security issues than a wired connection, and too many businesses rely on wired networks for Apple to do this.

numediaman
OMG Please shut up. All these rumor sites should be shut down 24 hours before all of steve's keynotes. Too much speculation. Too much excitement. It might be hard to beleive but some people still have to report to their jobs today. So please don't make it any more difficult for them.

In most years the speculation is the best part -- the actual keynote is a let down.

Keynotes like last year are very special.

People tend to forget the down years when Jobs does his best to make it seem like Apple has reinvented the wheel -- when they have only introduced a new iPod with larger storage, or a "faster" Motorola based laptop that is still slower than a half-priced PC.

No, these have been good times for Apple. Maybe tomorrow will match last year -- but it's even with an ultra-thin laptop I doubt it. (and that is not a complaint, believe me.)

Stella
Jan 14, 2008, 08:03 PM
So Apple are venturing in to digital downloads too ( i.e., Mac OSX, iLife et al ).

Without a CD drive.

queshy
Jan 14, 2008, 08:03 PM
Whatever it is I hope it has a matte screen...

JMD123
Jan 14, 2008, 08:04 PM
They cant have a new mac that is faster than the MBP?

bluedevil14
Jan 14, 2008, 08:04 PM
I think it only looks ok, and do not like the idea of a tapering design. If you look at the USB ports on the side and how much room is on the top and bottom of them and compare it to the thickness of a standard MBP it really only looks about 0.9" thin which isn't that revolutionary.

Rhosfelt
Jan 14, 2008, 08:05 PM
When they release a more powerful MBP version of this is when I will buy. I need a professional laptop because of the iMac at home :)

I think it only looks ok, and do not like the idea of a tapering design. If you look at the USB ports on the side and how much room is on the top and bottom of them and compare it to the thickness of a standard MBP it really only looks about 0.9" thin which isn't that revolutionary.

You have to remember these are Wired's guesses to what they are..not actual photos

WardC
Jan 14, 2008, 08:05 PM
The Good news - huge 19" 1920x1200 display (never seen before)
Even better - the price $599 and $799 (the $599 with a 3.0GHz Penryn, 4GB of RAM, the $799 with a 3.2GHz Penryn, 8GB of RAM)

I wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, this toy isn't even going to have dual-link probably and it will be a tiny 12" or 14" display and have a lower rate processor (probably no 3.0 - 3.2GHz Penryn...and probably have a smaller size HD...if it's SSD - is will be an exorbitant price and won't even come close to a MacBook Pro, which already small and very portable, at least my 15.4" is)

MBX
Jan 14, 2008, 08:06 PM
i hope not.

i hate these laptops that are thicker at the top side because of the circular hinge.

it would look like a sony vaio sub-laptop.

no thanks. make it even and slim throughout.

tivoboy
Jan 14, 2008, 08:06 PM
Aluminium and glass, all I gotta say is
PLEASE NO GLOSSY!!

Stella
Jan 14, 2008, 08:08 PM
PLEASE NO GLOSSY!!

If its consumer,its glossy.

Pressure
PLEASE NO GLOSSY!!

The glass would surely indicate glossy, as with the iMac. Perhaps. We will know soon enough.

Chupa Chupa
Here's how tomorrow will unfold:

Steve will show off the coolest MB yet. Everything Wired says plus new monitors that have a built in dock too. We'll all be drooling like 7th grade boys looking at a Playboy in the back of the Quicki Mart. Our CC's will be locked and loaded ready to storm the online Apple Store. We'll be at the edge of our seats, so satisfied "one last thing" isn't even on the radar. Then it comes. "On sale today, ships...in March. Right then CNN reports of a erie noise coming from SF, but it's not an earthquake, at least not the typical kind.

Rhosfelt
Jan 14, 2008, 08:10 PM
Who else is signed up for SMS because they will be in class? :P

MrCrowbar
PLEASE NO GLOSSY!!

You'll get used to it. Imagine matte glass, now that would be horrible :-)

Chupa Chupa
The glass would surely indicate glossy, as with the iMac. Perhaps. We will know soon enough.

I doubt it would have a glass screen. That would add a lot of weight to what is suppose to be a near weightless product.

ImNoSuperMan
Jan 14, 2008, 08:11 PM
Imagine the Battery charger is thicker than this mac:eek::eek:

BTW IIRC Battery chargers have always been thicker than the MB, MBP, iPhone, iPod. Just bout every Mac portable. So it won't be anything new

bigandy
Hmm, as much as I'm a huge fan of ultra-portable with no optical drive, I'd still like an ethernet port. There are still quite a few places that will have free high speed 'net w/ ethernet, but not wifi.
agreed, but to further that argument, even -N isn't good enough for connecting to some devices. if i'm going to be tempted i want gigabit ethernet in case i need to hook up NAS or something. maybe even just one little eSATA port :o

snap out of it! :eek: :p

Exactly.

++ ;)

It's a mock-up...
that's what was implied by that post, wasn't it? :confused:

:o Wouldn't it need a place to connect to a charger?
wireless power (http://www.splashpower.com/), baby!

isalex
that's berry berry nice... i want one. :D

izzle22
PLEASE NO GLOSSY!!

If it's going to be glass it's going to be glossy. By the way I hate glossy.

Twilight Elk
Jan 14, 2008, 08:13 PM
Here's how tomorrow will unfold:

Steve will show off the coolest MB yet. Everything Wired says plus new monitors that have a built in dock too. We'll all be drooling like 7th grade boys looking at a Playboy in the back of the Quicki Mart. Our CC's will be locked and loaded ready to storm the online Apple Store. We'll be at the edge of our seats, so satisfied "one last thing" isn't even on the radar. Then it comes. "On sale today, ships...in March. Right then CNN reports of a erie noise coming from SF, but it's not an earthquake, at least not the typical kind.

Too funny :D
Let's just hope it doesn't come to that XD

Warbrain
Jan 14, 2008, 08:13 PM
Personally, I'm not that thrilled. Something that thin screams "BREAK ME".

DesignerOnMac
Jan 14, 2008, 08:14 PM
1. Don't like taped design!
2. What no optical drive?
3. Damn a glossy screen?
4. No what?
5. How much? Damn way to much money.
6. Only comes in aluminum? No Black?
7. Guess I am not upgrading this time!

RiCEADDiCTBOY
Jan 14, 2008, 08:16 PM
THIS JUST IN....

wait for it...wait for it...

RUMORS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS!:apple:

TatsuTerror
Jan 14, 2008, 08:17 PM
I don't think Apple would make it thicker near where the monitor meets the computer...it's just not their style, and it is one of the design features that sets them apart from nearly all other computer companies. I sure hope they don't, anyway.

backtothefuture
Jan 14, 2008, 08:17 PM
Sony and Apple had a baby...and while it got its brains from Apple, it got its look from Sony :(

MarlboroLite
Jan 14, 2008, 08:18 PM
1. Don't like taped design!
2. What no optical drive?
3. Damn a glossy screen?
4. No what?
5. How much? Damn way to much money.
6. Only comes in aluminum? No Black?
7. Guess I am not upgrading this time!

Sure, there will always be whining....that doesn't mean some criticism is not valid. Someone upthread and I mentioned earlier that the tapered design would look too much like the newest dell/sony small laptops...not very original or good looking. I think that's perfectly fair criticism...as well as wondering how much power this thing is going to have....

IrishPete
When closed, that tapered design looks like a AIRplane wing.

~David
Who else is signed up for SMS because they will be in class? :P

Pfft, to heck with class, I'll be staying home for the afternoon :P

About the design mockup, I can't say I really like it. I've never been a fan of the tapered designs.

I'm anxious to see if there's something worth replacing my current MacBook though.

Hooka
Jan 14, 2008, 08:20 PM

still
it looks amazing
How is one to put software on this puppy without an optical drive?

Twilight Elk
Jan 14, 2008, 08:21 PM
When closed, that tapered design looks like a AIRplane wing.

Oh :o
Good catch, tapered designs fail.

Prof.
Jan 14, 2008, 08:21 PM
Beautiful... Absolutely beautiful:apple:
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/14/201055-airbook_side_425.jpg

trip1ex
Jan 14, 2008, 08:25 PM

The same way you put software on the iPhone.

Manatee
Sounds great!

I hope I can pick it up at the Apple Store tomorrow afternoon.

GUSTO
Bring it on:apple: Been holding off buying a laptop :) I think its a cool concept if true?

Prof.
Sounds great!

I hope I can pick it up at the Apple Store tomorrow afternoon.
We'll prolly have to wait a while.:(

Lepton
Take the lid off, take the keyboard off, and put the multi touch screen on the bottom where the keyboard was. If you want a physical keyboard and mouse, use Bluetooth ones. Then you have something!

I understand a tapered base, but i doubt we'll see a tapered screen, as there are no components of different thicknesses in the screen which would require it.

Rhosfelt
Jan 14, 2008, 08:26 PM

About the design mockup, I can't say I really like it. I've never been a fan of the tapered designs.

I'm anxious to see if there's something worth replacing my current MacBook though.

haha I can't first day of classes so I need to go and get the book requirements. I wish I could but SMS should be fine :)

Jan 14, 2008, 08:26 PM

If this is REAL, this is the MOST BEAUTIFUL notebook design ever...simply awesome..! GO APPLE!

And to think that I am in California for the first time, but in L.A. and only for two days (meetings all day)...bleargh!!! Anyone knows when the new products are gonna show up at Apple Stores around the U.S.?

I wanted to try and purchase one of these beauties before I leave, probably in Santa Monica...does ANYONE know when newly-released products are normally available?

JohnHawkins
Jan 14, 2008, 08:27 PM
usb
bluetooth
anything other then a boring cd

RiCEADDiCTBOY
Jan 14, 2008, 08:28 PM

External drive...

Manatee
1. With an external optical drive.
2. Over your wireless network from a shared optical drive in another machine
3. From the drive in the (optional) plug-in dock

iJawn108
umm no firewire yeah right

Cleverboy
Jan 14, 2008, 08:29 PM
Not to be Captain Negative, but that seems a bit too thin to me. More likely the base would be closer to the thickness of the new Apple keyboard. That said, it is a very nice looking mockup. Just my two cents. :)
Agreed. They have to watch it. I've no interest in some flimsy piece of poof that cost me $1,500. I'm in the camp that favors adding wait and watching materials in the effort to enhance the feeling of value and quality. That said... Hopefully these suckers will be in the store tomorrow evening... whatever they end up showing us! :D

~ CB

Rhosfelt
usb
bluetooth
anything other then a boring cd

I am pretty sure the CD is still the Industry standard..

Prof.
That concept makes my MacBook look fat:(

*cries*

You're not fat, MacBook.

*hugs MacBook*

steve_hill4
Interestingly enough, I tried macbookair.com yesterday and got a standard parking page from the company hosting the url. Tried again just a few minutes ago and got a failed page.

If anyone else visited it and previously got something and now doesn't, perhaps someone has received a C&D from Apple Inc.

eliotschreiner
Jan 14, 2008, 08:31 PM
This kind of makes me wonder...

Does it really need to be any thinner than one inch? Is anyone going to buy a 0.7-inch laptop than view the laptop that is .3 inches thicker an "inconvenience in size"? I think the weight matters more. The macbooks today can fit in any bookbag, so why not just make it as light as possible?

Besides, cutting down on thickness leaves out things like the optical drive.

jayducharme
Jan 14, 2008, 08:32 PM
Believe it or not, I don't like it.

Yeah, I'm not really excited about it either. It's a laptop; a thin one, but still a laptop. I'm really hoping that the real device will be a fully functioning computer that I can slide into my pocket (coat pocket, if not a shirt pocket). Why would Apple need to create another laptop to compete with the rest of their laptops? I don't get it. The technology that's been discussed could always be incorporated into existing products (the inductive charging, thin design, flash drives, etc...).

The form factor in the mock-up just doesn't seem different enough to warrant a big announcement.

GregA
Jan 14, 2008, 08:34 PM

still
it looks amazing
I don't think it's limiting. You just have to have a way of loading music and applications, plus access to backups. Most of which doesn't need to be done on the run... but I do think this will be limiting for some people.

I think that a small hard disk would be much more limiting.
MacBook without a DVD drive only makes sense to me if it's a really really large iPod touch.

Which does make sense to me. A tablet that you can surf from, watch movies on, do email on but that you must sync to a Mac/PC for loading the OS.I would like to see a replacement for the old Newton eMate (ie: an iPod Touch + keyboard in an UMPC form factor, running Pages etc.

Is it plausible to have a 32GB laptop with the full OSX that syncs a subset of your documents, music, movies etc from your main computer? Imagine having the important parts of your data with you on the go, and when you get home automatically having access to the full data storage. (or even accessing your full data storage via "Back to my Mac" or .Mac backups?)

I'd like to throw all my music and movies onto a home server (or my old iMac's external drive), sync one subset of that to AppleTV, and take a different subset of data with me.

My only question is whether they will include a kbd/mouse.
Why would they add a keyboard to a laptop? Oh, you mean literally a large iPod Touch.. not a mini laptop based on iPod Touch+keyboard...

AidenShaw
Jan 14, 2008, 08:34 PM
If this is REAL, this is the MOST BEAUTIFUL notebook design ever...simply awesome..! GO APPLE!

And to think that I am in California for the first time, but in L.A. and only for two days (meetings all day)...bleargh!!! Anyone knows when the new products are gonna show up at Apple Stores around the U.S.?

I wanted to try and purchase one of these beauties before I leave, probably in Santa Monica...does ANYONE know when newly-released products are normally available?

For many announcements the Apple stores have had stock available right after the keynote.

Sometimes they haven't had anything for weeks afterwards, or the stores would get a shipment of a few items quite randomly (e.g. the Ipod Touch in September). If you happen to be in the store when the delivery truck arrives, you get one. If you're on the way, you don't.

If you plan to hit the Apple Store in the evening after your meetings end, you'll probably be out of luck. If it did have some, they'll probably be gone by noon.

Xtoo
Jan 14, 2008, 08:35 PM
- No optical drive? I suppose we can use a USB drive instead to copy and read files. Sounds good!
- Software downloads instead of physical discs? Hmm, still want my disc though. Incase of a re-install don't want to be waiting forever. Sounds so-so.
- Touch screen, although really cool how many of us would put our fingers on the book's screen? Will wait to see what how Jobs works it out. Sounds promising.
- Completely wireless? I hope they still add an Ethernet port.
- iMac's Silver, Black and Glass? Classy!!!!!

And I agree with another poster, although I promise not to read anything until tomorrow night... I CANT HELP IT!!!!!

Hooka
Jan 14, 2008, 08:36 PM
The same way you put software on the iPhone.

You're going to have to sync it with iTunes?

daneoni
Jan 14, 2008, 08:36 PM
....I'm really hoping that the real device will be a fully functioning computer that I can slide into my pocket (coat pocket, if not a shirt pocket).....

I think you want an iPhone/iPod Touch with third party apps from the upcoming SDK

asphalt-proof
Jan 14, 2008, 08:38 PM
I really have a hard time understanding why there would be a touch screen on a laptop. the ergonomics are all wrong. Do you use your finger as a mouse? Type with it? Think about how much strain you are putting on your forearms when using your finger as a mouse while trying to keep your hand and wrist from contacting the keyboard.

My opinion is that its either a laptop with no touchscreen, or a tablet with a touch screen but no keyboard. The combo makes no sense unless it folds back on itself. :confused:

pgwalsh
Jan 14, 2008, 08:38 PM
If it's that thin, it looks like only 2 USB ports at most...that sucks! And probably underpowered too....sigh :( I have an old PowerBook and it only has 2 USB ports. Only a handful of times did I hook up more than two USB devices and that was an edirol keyboard, mouse, and m-audio session. Problem was solved with a usb powered hub.

a macbook isnt something you use final cut pro on
id rather have a laptop that could do the things i need, not just be a nice light-weight piece of technology meant just for internet (assuming it is in the $1500 range)
All I know is that it better be able to run Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator at the same time without a hitch to get my money.I see how that could fit a few situations. However, I have a Mac Pro for my photoshop and illustrator work, but I'd like something light and portable for meetings and going to the coffee shop, especially if I could sync the documents folder. I wouldn't bother doing much PS on the portable. I did that for a few years and it doesn't compare to a big monitor, my 27" monitor works much better for me personally.

Jan 14, 2008, 08:39 PM
For many announcements the Apple stores have had stock available right after the keynote.

Sometimes they haven't had anything for weeks afterwards, or the stores would get a shipment of a few items quite randomly (e.g. the Ipod Touch in September). If you happen to be in the store when the delivery truck arrives, you get one. If you're on the way, you don't.

If you plan to hit the Apple Store in the evening after your meetings end, you'll probably be out of luck. If it did have some, they'll probably be gone by noon.

Tks, Aiden...you are probably right, especially since my only potentially "free" times are gonna be tomorrow after work or wednesday lunch time...oh well, gonna have to find'em back in Europe then...

RiCEADDiCTBOY
Jan 14, 2008, 08:40 PM
I have an old PowerBook and it only has 2 USB ports. Only a handful of times did I hook up more than two USB devices and that was an edirol keyboard, mouse, and m-audio session. Problem was solved with a usb powered hub.

I see how that could fit a few situations. However, I have a Mac Pro for my photoshop and illustrator work, but I'd like something light and portable for meetings and going to the coffee shop, especially if I could sync the documents folder. I wouldn't bother doing much PS on the portable. I did that for a few years and it doesn't compare to a big monitor, my 27" monitor works much better for me personally.

some of us don't want multiple laptops though. one laptop is enough. :(

gifford
Jan 14, 2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I'm not really excited about it either. It's a laptop; a thin one, but still a laptop. I'm really hoping that the real device will be a fully functioning computer that I can slide into my pocket (coat pocket, if not a shirt pocket). Why would Apple need to create another laptop to compete with the rest of their laptops? I don't get it. The technology that's been discussed could always be incorporated into existing products (the inductive charging, thin design, flash drives, etc...).

The form factor in the mock-up just doesn't seem different enough to warrant a big announcement.

I think maybe they want to push forward with technology and release a laptop of the future using almost solely wireless technologies.
Apples current lineup is pretty tied to certain legacy technologies. So it is hard for them to push the boundaries.

At a guess.

Hooka
Jan 14, 2008, 08:42 PM
I guess I'm the only one who goes to the store and buys software.

trip1ex
Jan 14, 2008, 08:43 PM
If it's that thin then I think Apple is going for a consumer electronics type of product rather than a traditional computer or laptop. You know something easy to use with basic features like the iPhone except in a laptop form factor.

gifford
Jan 14, 2008, 08:43 PM
I guess I'm the only one who goes to the store and buys software.

I have not done that since the 80's! No joke

And it came on magnetic cassette tape.

And it was called Nigel Mansell's Grand Prix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cITHSHT_YRw

havand
Jan 14, 2008, 08:44 PM
Why does the 'external' optical drive have to be usb? Apple is EVERYTHING Apple. Do you really think they're gonna leave it up to people to go buy an external USB optical drive for $40? No. They are not. I'm not saying eitherway, but they COULD have integrated a highspeed wireless proprietary communication system between an 'optical' base and the computer. IE, put a CD in underneath the coffee table then load Adobe or watch your girls gone wild DVD or..you know, whatever.

Just a thought.

And ontop of that, why couldn't they have their own special port that you could plug in special dongles to get gigabit, dvi, etc. I've seen plenty of long flat connectors that would be perfect.

eric55lv
Jan 14, 2008, 08:45 PM
I thought that it was going to have no ports

bonehead
Jan 14, 2008, 08:47 PM
I can't believe that anyone is asking, "What will I do without an optical drive?"

Have you never seen or heard of an external drive?

Hooka
Jan 14, 2008, 08:49 PM
I think maybe they want to push forward with technology and release a laptop of the future using almost solely wireless technologies.
Apples current lineup is pretty tied to certain legacy technologies. So it is hard for them to push the boundaries.

At a guess.
That would be great but Apple needs to then invest in a nation wide mega wifi solution. It would be nice if AT&T would let us use wifi with iPhones for calling because I get a horrible mobile single in my house.

ryanide
Jan 14, 2008, 08:49 PM
Sony's TX or TZ series has had a very thin 5/16th" screen for the past few years with LED backlight and a carbon fiber case.

So combine a screen like that with a super thin keyboard and no optical components base and Apple's really got a super light..

monsterfreecity
Jan 14, 2008, 08:50 PM
...as long as they release an 802.11n Airport Express...

havand
Jan 14, 2008, 08:50 PM

Ok, then it is 2 fold. Wireless optical and wireless port station. Problem solved.

Hooka
Jan 14, 2008, 08:52 PM
I can't believe that anyone is asking, "What will I do without an optical drive?"

Have you never seen or heard of an external drive?

come up with a standard for distribution of software and move on and do it every ten years.

kungming2
Jan 14, 2008, 08:53 PM
Lookie here:

http://www.9to5mac.com/wired-is-like-90-right-452324534523

Bluefusion
http://evolationmedia.com/macbook-air-and-what-it-maybe-means/

I really must be a nerd, somehow, or one who's really just affected by design in some (possibly-twisted) way, but...

I don't know how else to express it, but this look--even though I know it probably isn't quite the real thing-- is so beautiful, so absolutely essential to our time, that I hesitate in saying that this might in fact change our entire sense of what technology is. Not now, oh no... not with Leopard's bugs and a window-based interface and the clumsy hacked-together kludge of the Web at this particular moment. Not even, maybe, for ten or fifteen years. But this is the first object that may well be designed for who we really are as people. We are explorers. We were out there hunting and gathering and using our hands--that is, until we recently decided to take that little industrialized break and coop ourselves up in our homes. We spend a lot of our time feeling like we aren't really doing enough, and that worry leaks out in our aggressive spending, our internal dramas, our petty goals. We stopped being in touch with what it really felt like to be alive. We built great tools, and gradually our tools became our focus; somewhere along the line, we lost track of the absurdity of this compromise.

The real promise of the Web has always been its omniscience. It has nothing to do with information, or information overload-- it has to do with ubiquity and transparency. It has to do with offloading the sum of human consciousness and leaving it floating out there, a sea of awareness permeating us like a second soul. Think different, people. This has nothing to do with specs. Nothing to do with current technology--or the lack of an optical drive. This is about coming a step closer to organic technology.

Like the iPhone, which was the result of a realization that people like to control THINGS, not the abstract representations of them, this Macbook Air heralds a different kind of future. One in which our primary untethered-ness is finally understood; one in which our need to just live life is finally brought back into focus. Computers are a long long way from being truly intuitive, but this design evokes something incredible, something thrilling in me. We are leaving behind the wires, the force, the efforts of communicating with a stupid machine. We are free, and so is it. We are endlessly capable, and so (battery life willing) is it.

When Apple does its best work, they create products that are so perfect in their approach that they literally cannot be reimagined.

Looking at this machine, I can honestly say that it is perfection. Not necessarily in specs or in daily use; I mean as an idea, as a created object, as a trendsetter. The iPod wasn't perfect either when it first debuted, but it was obvious why it was needed. It removed everything but the experience of choosing what to listen to and hearing it. It removed the technology and became an extension of one's life.

The Macbook Air, with inductive-based charging and ubiquitous networking, if such things ever came together (and if they came together tomorrow? oh my god) is another of these ideas. Something so radically ahead on a fundamental level that we don't even know how amazing it will become.

For Apple to come back to the "tiny laptop" game, they realized they needed something new, something revolutionary to justify the absence. We've been expecting decent upgrades from them, but we forget that this is a brand-new Apple, one so visionary as to often arrive at solutions before anyone understands the depth of the problem; a company that innovates even when no one understands what it is they can see. When they made a music player, they made the iPod, for god's sake. When they made a phone, it wasn't a phone-- it was a new way to communicate with technology.

Well, they're back, and they removed such a huge part of the "computer" from the equation--the charging cables, ethernet, tethered disks (Time Machine backup to AirPort MUST be coming...) the extra weight, and maybe even the need for wi-fi tethering--that it is now the digital equivalent of a notebook. It is ever-present, yet completely unobtrusive. It is as ready as you are. Long ago I envisioned (as many have-- it's not at all an original concept) a device I called "the Reader"--a notebook-type wireless communication system. This device simply existed to tap into the framework of human awareness in as unobtrusive a manner as possible. Gesture-based, context-sensitive, intelligent and uncomplicated, it would express a nearly infinite potential without ever feeling overwhelming.

Many of these ideas may make their way more readily into an Apple tablet, but I can see that their design language is definitely on to something. It's the teardrop shape. The colors (neutrals yet beautiful). The organic, weightless feeling of it. It's the sense that this is no longer a foreign object. It's the first step towards something altogether new--a true fusion. And it's weightless the way we are weightless, ultimately free of any connection to anything but the earth we're born on and the identity we give ourselves.

I know it's all hyperbolic, and perhaps I'm simply overthinking, but if the device Apple releases tomorrow is anything like this image, it's a bigger deal than anyone but a few people at Apple realize.

Just think about it.

Warbrain

I'm going to be on my Sidekick getting SMS updates and web updates while on the way to school. I get 45 minutes of watching, though.

This isn't always true. More likely than not the last few announcements of products at MWSF have not been available immediately.

kungming2
Jan 14, 2008, 08:56 PM
So now 9to5 Mac implies that it will be both a subnotebook and a tablet. It's all starting to make sense now!

That would be quite brilliant, indeed...

http://www.9to5mac.com/wired-is-like-90-right-452324534523

DTphonehome
Jan 14, 2008, 08:57 PM
Yes! Please! Let it look like this! Lose the firewire! Lose the optical drive! Lose ethernet! THIN is the ONLY thing that matters in a machine like this...it's not for Photoshop, DVD authoring, or sitting on your home network...add a tiny $29 USB to ethernet dongle as an option (a la the USB modem), include an external DVD writer (slim of course), and sell it for $1500...this could be huge. Perhaps built-in 3G wireless (something in the air)?

zub3qin
Jan 14, 2008, 08:58 PM
Am I the only one here who wants to say "Hold your horses?"

I don't want to rain on the parade, but if this MacbookAir is the same dimensions as a macbook today, except 8mm thinner, and 3 lbs instead of 5 lbs, is that really a big deal (and i'm guessing based upon the mockups)?

Especially if we lose processing power or battery life. At some point, we need to say is it worth it for it to be any thinner?

There has to be something new- not just smaller size....
Multitouch COULD be it, if this Macbook Air fully folds 360deg to a tablet. If it is a Thin Macbook with no DVD, wireless everything, and a multitouch SCREEN, then a lot of people are going to say cool, but my arms hurt using multitouch just to spin and magnify photos (is there really any big reason for multitouch except the cool factor yet?).

The price is going to be $1999

havand
Jan 14, 2008, 09:00 PM
....THIN is the ONLY thing that matters in a machine like this......

Why are Mac lovers obsessed with thin? I mean, who cares if something is 1.0" vs 0.8". For practical purposes, no differences and it becomes MUCH more fragile. I don't understand how you can say half the things you just did. The only thing that matters is thin? So even if it isn't usable or practical, as long as it's thin, it's golden? Makes no sense. Primary purpose of the thing's very existence is to be USED. Not usable= no point.

I DO that a 2" thick laptop is all but worthless, but come on. That was too much.

Jan 14, 2008, 09:01 PM
I really must be a nerd, somehow, or one who's really just affected by design in some (possibly-twisted) way, but...

Dude, its just a slightly thinner computer.

Smurfed
Jan 14, 2008, 09:06 PM
Looks very nice.

But doesn't seem very practical, not much can fit in an enclosure than thin.

DTphonehome
Why are Mac lovers obsessed with thin? I mean, who cares if something is 1.0" vs 0.8". For practical purposes, no differences and it becomes MUCH more fragile. I don't understand how you can say half the things you just did. The only thing that matters is thin? So even if it isn't usable or practical, as long as it's thin, it's golden? Makes no sense. Primary purpose of the thing's very existence is to be USED. Not usable= no point.

I DO that a 2" thick laptop is all but worthless, but come on. That was too much.

No, I stand by it...my iMac doesn't have to be thin, my Macbook doesn't have to be thin...THIS machine has to be thin. Why are the nano, iPhone and RAZR so sexy to hold? Because they are thin. Thin laptops are quite usable (I'm not suggesting they leave out a decent processor or enough RAM), and they aren't "fragile" (see VAIO TX series)...unless you've held a thin, light, laptop in your hands, you won't understand why it's so appealing. The MB and MBP are thin enough for most casual laptop users, but travelers CRAVE thinness.

asphalt-proof

I'm really having trouble feeling you here. All we have is a mock up of a traditional form factor known as the laptop. There is no fundamental shift being represented here. If its a touch screen then i would argue that its a step back due to poor ergonomics. (imagine using your finger as a mouse for any length of time while your arm and wrist are suspended over the keyboard. You forearms are going to smack you up the side of the head for buying this.

As a tablet, yes, I can see where your soaring ecstasy is justified. And it would make a truly wonderful, transparent... thing. What is the purpose of the... thing. Apple makes no product that doesn't fit EXACTLY into a niche. Either one already existing or they create one. What is the niche for a tablet? Or, for that matter, a laptop with a touch screen?

kungming2
Jan 14, 2008, 09:07 PM
Dude, its just a slightly thinner computer.

A slightly thinner computer that inspires posts the length of War and Peace no less. :D

fewture
Jan 14, 2008, 09:07 PM

Fortunately for me though, keynote will start at 10:30PM here. Five minutes after I finish my work :) . But still it doesn't help alot as I'd be checking MR every five minutes while at work. :o

Can't wait. Just a few more hours to go before iChristmas is here. Santa Steve is back in town.

A few more hours? More like 15 hours?

I mean, its 7pm now right?

Rocketman
Jan 14, 2008, 09:08 PM
I have 2 questions.

How much smaller is it than a MacBook?

How much bigger is it than an iPhone?

Rocketman

trip1ex
Jan 14, 2008, 09:08 PM
You're going to have to sync it with iTunes?

Yeah. Why not? iTunes is probably going to be the way official programs are distributed to the iPhone anyway. The iPHone syncs contacts and bookmarks through iTunes.

It's just an extension of that.

I'm not sure I see the point of a thin laptop that is more consumer electronics-oriented and streamlined like an iPhone though especially if it's $1600. It seems like that also would mean folks need a regular computer and since most folks are buying laptops anyway then that means they already have a laptop. Who's going to buy a laptop to connect to a laptop? I could see it as a 2nd computer like a compliment to an iMac. It would give me great freedom around the house in conjunction with my iMac and let me take it on the road easy enough. It's got to have 2 or 3x the battery life though otherwise why not just get an Macbook?

The only other way I could see it being viable is if it worked through the AppleTv and the AppleTV acted like the big storage house with all your media on it. (160gb model of course or a new one with more capacity or one with external drives plugged into it.) Or it could be viable if it worked with the Airport Extreme with hard drives plugged into it.

Or it would probably have to have a dock included.

IN those cases a lightweight thin laptop with much greater battery life makes sense. That would be fairly forward looking.

And if they could keep costs down because there is no hard drive and disc drive all the better. Flash though costs alot so it probably wouldn't be cheaper.

If there is no optical drive and no dock then they are changing the way they will deliver software in the future.

havand
Jan 14, 2008, 09:09 PM
No, I stand by it...my iMac doesn't have to be thin, my Macbook doesn't have to be thin...THIS machine has to be thin. Why are the nano, iPhone and RAZR so sexy to hold? Because they are thin. Thin laptops are quite usable (I'm not suggesting they leave out a decent processor or enough RAM), and they aren't "fragile" (see VAIO TX series)...unless you've held a thin, light, laptop in your hands, you won't understand why it's so appealing. The MB and MBP are thin enough for most casual laptop users, but travelers CRAVE thinness.

Ok, I understand what you're saying. I own an ASUS W3j. 1.4" at the thickest. 14" with a dedicated graphics card. You are right, to a point. I have held a nano, iphone and razr. I've almost dropped all of them. I won't go into it here, but because of the size of my fingers/hands, I wish apple had made the iphone permanently oriented sideways except while at your ear. Bigger keypad, 2 thumb usage instead of holding with 1 hand and pecking with the other. :)

DTphonehome
Jan 14, 2008, 09:10 PM
I don't want to rain on the parade, but if this MacbookAir is the same dimensions as a macbook today, except 8mm thinner, and 3 lbs instead of 5 lbs, is that really a big deal (and i'm guessing based upon the mockups)?

YES! Shaving 40% of the weight IS a big deal...try lugging your laptop in a shoulder bag all day and you'll know why. And laptops are meant to be used in public, and sexiness doesn't hurt. If the iPhone was exactly as functional as it is now, but was .75" thick (like a treo), it wouldn't have nearly the same sex appeal as it does.

kungming2
Jan 14, 2008, 09:10 PM
Let it please not sync through iTunes. iTunes is getting bloated and more bloated with each passing version.

twoodcc
Jan 14, 2008, 09:12 PM
well i hope it's true. we'll find out tomorrow. i really hope the screen is 12" instead of 13.3 though

direzz
Jan 14, 2008, 09:13 PM
much like communism, the macbook air mockup is a brilliant design concept - on paper.

We really need to consider that apple is largely now focused on entertainment

Front Row - watch DVD's
iTunes - Import/Burn CD'S
iLife - Burn iMovies/data cd's

etc. etc.

if this is truly an ultra portable, i dont see the need for their to be an actual keyboard. why isnt it all touch?

if theres a full working keyboard, there should be an optical drive.

Chupa Chupa
Jan 14, 2008, 09:14 PM

It's gotta have at least USB or it will become a beautiful museum piece. I know Apple like to play the form over function card a lot, but no ports is just impractical. I can live w/o an internal optical, but I need USB, FW400, and video out. Video out can be via a dongle, but I need the capability w/o a dock. Either that OR two express card slots so I can add this functionality.

Enigmur
Jan 14, 2008, 09:14 PM
It does look amazing, and its cool that technology is moving forward - but I dont think making the already tiny Macbook thinner helps me out in any way - I think I'd rather other innovations.

I mean yeah, those RAZR phones and other super thin cells are cool - but thats understandable because it goes in your pocket and has to fit in one hand.

Apart from a weight reduction, I wouldnt really buy into a thinner laptop alone.

ToBeOrMacToBe
Jan 14, 2008, 09:15 PM
Either Apple (via it's leak insider description info) or Wired need to be more original in it's design of the "MacbookAir"

"macbookair"

vs the Vaio x505

greenlit
Jan 14, 2008, 09:15 PM
I don't think it make sense to release a laptop that folds with a keyboard.
Look at the logic of Apple new products: iPod Multi-Touch, iPhone multi-touch.
If they're going to release a new laptop or device it has to be useful and be really "NEW" like iphone and iPod was.

I'm thinking a 15 Inch flat screen, with no keyboard !!
The keyboard is like in the Iphone.
Steve told you they can change the keyboard based on the App being used.
They have not created a adapted Mac OS X version for nothing.

So: a 15 inch flat screen that can play DVD, music of course. It has Wifi, USB and firewire. no mouse, no keyboard.
To selectyour application: coverflow to the rescue.
Device would be geared towards: email, chatting, browsing the net, online community.

Something you can carry around with you anywhere.

Hard drive / Flash memory: good question: Flash memory is expensive and limited in space. I would go with hard drive. Probably same used in iPods.

So take an iPod MultiTouch, remove the wheel, stretch the screen so it forms a 15" and voila you have a: isomething.

It's not a mac, it's not a iPod.
Newton, say hello again !!

"There is something in the air".
It could he the apple falling from the tree.

That would make sense, don't you think?

digitalbiker
Jan 14, 2008, 09:16 PM
I guess I am one of those that don't get the ferver over a light lap top. I just don't see what is so fundamentally ground breaking. Sony has been making these for years.

I just hope that Apple updates the macbook pro. Call me old fashion but I like to have the capabilities to do everything on the road that I do at home. That includes being able to read a cd-rom, watch a dvd movie, hook up to a wired ethernet network, or write a snippet of code.

If Apple really wants to release a light-weight laptop that surfs, streams, and runs a few apps. Why not go all out and make a flash drive, single screen tablet with multi-touch capability. It could double as a ebook reader, a music and video playback device, internet surfing, mail checking tool.

LizKat
What?!.....It's not in colors!?!;)

Just a touch of color would be great. Like where the iPhone is black on the back down by the speakers, let there be a narrow strip underneath the ultraportable that's for colors. Fancy underwear! Clamshell type colors, why not. Something old, something new... Tangerine!

DTphonehome
Ok, I understand what you're saying. I own an ASUS W3j. 1.4" at the thickest. 14" with a dedicated graphics card. You are right, to a point. I have held a nano, iphone and razr. I've almost dropped all of them. I won't go into it here, but because of the size of my fingers/hands, I wish apple had made the iphone permanently oriented sideways except while at your ear. Bigger keypad, 2 thumb usage instead of holding with 1 hand and pecking with the other. :)

Sorry, I feel for you, but you can't expect Apple to stop pushing the design envelope because some people aren't compatible with tiny electronics, am I right?

MattInOz
Yes! Please! Let it look like this! Lose the firewire! Lose the optical drive! Lose ethernet! THIN is the ONLY thing that matters in a machine like this...it's not for Photoshop, DVD authoring, or sitting on your home network...add a tiny $29 USB to ethernet dongle as an option (a la the USB modem), include an external DVD writer (slim of course), and sell it for $1500...this could be huge. Perhaps built-in 3G wireless (something in the air)?

I would have thought they would keep Firewire in some way shape of form, and that doubles as the ethernet connection.

Chupa Chupa
Jan 14, 2008, 09:17 PM
if this is truly an ultra portable, i dont see the need for their to be an actual keyboard. why isnt it all touch?

if theres a full working keyboard, there should be an optical drive.

Touch is fine for a phone, but lousy for a laptop. Try typing a 50 page report with a virtual keyboard. And I don't really get the relationship between not having an optical drive and a keyboard. Most road warriors use their optical drive zero times on the road. The keyboard is used every single time the laptop is used. An optical drive adds to a machines thickness and weight. A keyboard does not.

DTphonehome
Jan 14, 2008, 09:19 PM
It's gotta have at least USB or it will become a beautiful museum piece. I know Apple like to play the form over function card a lot, but no ports is just impractical. I can live w/o an internal optical, but I need USB, FW400, and video out. Video out can be via a dongle, but I need the capability w/o a dock. Either that OR two express card slots so I can add this functionality.

I agree it needs USB ports, but what, pray tell, are you doing that needs FW and video-out? That sounds like video editing or something like it...this is NOT the machine for that. The 17" MBP is the videographer's choice. TWO expresscard slots? Dream on.

MrCrowbar
Jan 14, 2008, 09:21 PM
I'm really having trouble feeling you here. All we have is a mock up of a traditional form factor known as the laptop. There is no fundamental shift being represented here. If its a touch screen then i would argue that its a step back due to poor ergonomics. (imagine using your finger as a mouse for any length of time while your arm and wrist are suspended over the keyboard. You forearms are going to smack you up the side of the head for buying this.

As a tablet, yes, I can see where your soaring ecstasy is justified. And it would make a truly wonderful, transparent... thing. What is the purpose of the... thing. Apple makes no product that doesn't fit EXACTLY into a niche. Either one already existing or they create one. What is the niche for a tablet? Or, for that matter, a laptop with a touch screen?

How about a multitouch screen with a virtual trackpad? Drag one finger anywhere on the screen and the cursor imitates that movement while magnifying the motion, just like your Macbook's trackpad does, complete with double tap to drag, 2 finger scrolling etc. This allows for precise pointing (when moved slowly, the pointer movement is slower) and no arm motion, a finger or thumb is enough. In addition, you can just drag and drop, click and zoom like on the iPhone.

If you've ever used a Wacom tablet, it's very similar. You can set the pen to absolute (top right on the tablet is top right on the screen) or relative (behaves like a mouse or trackpad). Basically the same thing, but without the pen/stylus.

direzz
Touch is fine for a phone, but lousy for a laptop. Try typing a 50 page report with a virtual keyboard. And I don't really get the relationship between not having an optical drive and a keyboard. Most road warriors use their optical drive zero times on the road. The keyboard is used every single time the laptop is used. An optical drive adds to a machines thickness and weight. A keyboard does not.

"Most road warriors use their optical drive zero times on the road."

i respect that, however, an optical drive is JUST as important as a keyboard. CD's are used for practically all types of data. software, music, exporting projects. right now the macbook air just looks like an unfinished computer.

who would use itunes or ilife if they didn't have immediate access to an optical drive.

this is where the device becomes neither a tablet or a laptop. its severely lacking in fundamental components.

what is it?

DTphonehome
I would have thought they would keep Firewire in some way shape of form, and that doubles as the ethernet connection.

Everyone was pretty shocked (including me) when they dropped the modem from laptops....but I've never missed it. Nearly anywhere that has ethernet will have wireless too.

Victor ch
Jan 14, 2008, 09:22 PM
Hmm not a big fan of Dell/Sony style thicker at the top-thinner at the bottom type of laptops but we shall see...

Yeah me too. I always liked how Apple laptops are very symmetrical and consistent. The mockup look nice, its just not Apple-like that laptops vary in thickness.

-Victor

zub3qin
Jan 14, 2008, 09:24 PM
YES! Shaving 40% of the weight IS a big deal...try lugging your laptop in a shoulder bag all day and you'll know why. And laptops are meant to be used in public, and sexiness doesn't hurt. If the iPhone was exactly as functional as it is now, but was .75" thick (like a treo), it wouldn't have nearly the same sex appeal as it does.

BUT.... if the iPhone was exactly or slightly less functional at 8mm thickness instead of the 12mm it is now, would it be worth it?

Full of Win
Jan 14, 2008, 09:27 PM
Its like the Asus Eee PC and the old 12 inch Powerbook....um.. got it on and mated. Don't know if that is a good thing or not. For me, no DVI out = no deal, but that is just my personal thing, not to say this is the wrong direction to go.

djchange
I'm really hoping (if this is what's coming) it has some form of integrated memory card reader (SD/SDHC) and a mini-dvi out.
Between 9" and 12" LED-screen would be nice :>

asphalt-proof
How about a multitouch screen with a virtual trackpad? Drag one finger anywhere on the screen and the cursor imitates that movement while magnifying the motion, just like your Macbook's trackpad does, complete with double tap to drag, 2 finger scrolling etc. This allows for precise pointing (when moved slowly, the pointer movement is slower) and no arm motion, a finger or thumb is enough. In addition, you can just drag and drop, click and zoom like on the iPhone.

If you've ever used a Wacom tablet, it's very similar. You can set the pen to absolute (top right on the tablet is top right on the screen) or relative (behaves like a mouse or trackpad). Basically the same thing, but without the pen/stylus.

I think i see what you are saying but let me sure: Are you saying that the person does all this on the screen, with their finger? If so you are still holding your wrist and forearm over the keyboard. Try doing that right now for the rest of the time you are on your computer. Within 5 minutes your forearm will be screaming. Unless you are a tennis player or carpenter. Or are you saying that there is a seperate trackpad? Like on all other laptops.

WardC
Is it just me, or is anybody else not really turned on by a $1500 small screen thinbook lacking many essential connectivity and design features...

For me, I'd like to see a 19" MacBook Pro and a complete revision of the Cinema Display line, with LED backlighting and about a $300 - $500 pricecut across the line. I am into bright, big flashy displays on my mac, and the ability to hook up Dual-Link DVI or HDMI...both of which this "toy" is gonna lack. Come on, this thing looks like a toy.

Counter
A bazillion dollars says it's not multi-touch.

tgildred
When it comes to the Ethernet port though, they will NEED to have one of those on there. Wireless is far from perfect, it is usually slower and more prone to security issues than a wired connection, and too many businesses rely on wired networks for Apple to do this.

I don't know, I've rarely plugged my laptop into the ethernet. Wireless has been more than adequate. And if this thinger had some kind of dock, it would be solve that issue. I think.

gazfocus
Jan 14, 2008, 09:28 PM
Hmm that mock up says "MacBook" under the screen...surely if it truly was the so called MacBook Air, it was be called that and not a MacBook.

They won't be replacing the MacBook consumer laptop with a groundreaking technological master piece.

It's realistically not even possible to make the laptop that thin. From the images given, it looks like the thickness is no thicker that the actual material is likeley to be and therefore, they are not likely to get a logic board/hard drive (even SSD)/Keyboard in anything that thin.

DTphonehome
Jan 14, 2008, 09:28 PM

i respect that, however, an optical drive is JUST as important as a keyboard. CD's are used for practically all types of data. software, music, exporting projects. right now the macbook air just looks like an unfinished computer.

who would use itunes or ilife if they didn't have immediate access to an optical drive.

this is where the device becomes neither a tablet or a laptop. its severely lacking in fundamental components.

what is it?

Sorry, I disagree. Every time you touch your computer you will use the keyboard. Just participating in forums like I'm doing now would be nearly impossible with just a touchscreen. Same goes for long emails. I haven't done any surveys, but I'm certain that for the average user (ie, NOT a video or music pro), the optical drive gets little if any use on a daily basis. Apple is moving us AWAY from optical media (iTunes store, streaming, etc), and although we are a long way from that, it's a start. They'll need to offer an external option (or include it), but for the average user (and especially road-warriors), the optical would be the first thing to chuck from a light laptop. Get a USB drive for backups.

zub3qin
Jan 14, 2008, 09:29 PM
I guess I am one of those that don't get the ferver over a light lap top. I just don't see what is so fundamentally ground breaking. Sony has been making these for years.

I just hope that Apple updates the macbook pro. Call me old fashion but I like to have the capabilities to do everything on the road that I do at home. That includes being able to read a cd-rom, watch a dvd movie, hook up to a wired ethernet network, or write a snippet of code.

If Apple really wants to release a light-weight laptop that surfs, streams, and runs a few apps. Why not go all out and make a flash drive, single screen tablet with multi-touch capability. It could double as a ebook reader, a music and video playback device, internet surfing, mail checking tool.

I think this is what is coming.... I think the mockups are wrong.
Use a wireless keyboard when you want one via bluetooth. When you don't, use the virtual keyboard.
I predict a 15" touchscreen shaped like an iphone. No keyboard.

havand
Jan 14, 2008, 09:29 PM
I just remembered the Intel Metro concept...the specs sound awfully similar to this new rumored mac if I remember right. ~2.x pounds, very thin, long battery life, no optical, glass to the edges of the screen, just no multitouch.

Anyone remember that thing from May?

DOUGHNUT
Jan 14, 2008, 09:30 PM

what is it?

i'm going to have to disagree you with that. optical drive is NOWHERE near as important as a keyboard, especially when you have flash drives available for cheap that does just what you described: data transfer, exporting projects etc. flash drives are today's floppy drives. CD's and DVD's are mainly for installing software, watching movies, backing up an occasional file here and there...not something somebody on the road is going to need. If you do need it, an external optical drive is sufficient enough for the vast majority of people.

direzz
Jan 14, 2008, 09:33 PM
Sorry, I disagree. Every time you touch your computer you will use the keyboard. Just participating in forums like I'm doing now would be nearly impossible with just a touchscreen. Same goes for long emails. I haven't done any surveys, but I'm certain that for the average user (ie, NOT a video or music pro), the optical drive gets little if any use on a daily basis. Apple is moving us AWAY from optical media (iTunes store, streaming, etc), and although we are a long way from that, it's a start. They'll need to offer an external option (or include it), but for the average user (and especially road-warriors), the optical would be the first thing to chuck from a light laptop. Get a USB drive for backups.

so in the future,,,, if i want to watch a movie, i have to either buy it from apple at a ridiculous price, and then store it on my hard-drive that is probably lacking in size because its FLASH, and therefore I'm forced to buy ANOTHER piece of external hardware to store all my movies? or, attache an external included optical drive to watch my own dvd's? that hardly seams practical for "road-warriors"

DTphonehome
Jan 14, 2008, 09:33 PM
Is it just me, or is anybody else not really turned on by a $1500 small screen thinbook lacking many essential connectivity and design features...

For me, I'd like to see a 19" MacBook Pro and a complete revision of the Cinema Display line, with LED backlighting and about a $300 - $500 pricecut across the line. I am into bright, big flashy displays on my mac, and the ability to hook up Dual-Link DVI or HDMI...both of which this "toy" is gonna lack. Come on, this thing looks like a toy.

That would be a nice niche machine (19"!), but if that's what you need, this is NOT the laptop for you. The machine you described will not drop any jaws at Macworld, that's for sure.

havand
Jan 14, 2008, 09:34 PM
That would be a nice niche machine (19"!), but if that's what you need, this is NOT the laptop for you. The machine you described will not drop any jaws at Macworld, that's for sure.

Not yours, but his, apparently.

xbigman15x
Jan 14, 2008, 09:35 PM
Personally i don't like the slope design of a notebook, in fact today i sat in class and saw a fellow student's Dell thinking, "Wow i think the slope is unattractive...at least Apple has symmetrical designs." Then I get on, and what do i see? the very computer i spent in class hating on..great... The mock-up is nice, but not apple. Apple is all about simplicity and symmetry, none of their products don't follow the consistency of that. I am really hoping this is not the macbook air, if so i will just buy the revamped macbook or macbook pro.

*Crosses fingers*"PLEASE DON'T DISAPPOINT ME APPLE!"

DTphonehome
Jan 14, 2008, 09:35 PM
so in the future,,,, if i want to watch a movie, i have to either buy it from apple at a ridiculous price, and then store it on my hard-drive that is probably lacking in size because its FLASH, and therefore I'm forced to buy ANOTHER piece of external hardware to store all my movies? or, attache an external included optical drive to watch my own dvd's? that hardly seams practical for "road-warriors"

Road warriors don't watch that many DVDs on the road. They are usually working. If they do, they'll either put the external in their bag or suffer with a 5 lb macbook. I agree that it would be nice to have an optical drive, but if there's one thing that would save a lot of heigh/weight, it's the optical drive. In "the future", you'll probably download your movie altogether.

Foxglove9
Jan 14, 2008, 09:36 PM
If this is meant to be a laptop then I don't understand the lack of an optical drive. What ever happened to those patent sketches of an optical drive that is underneath the laptop? A USB external drive makes sense, though that would seem very un-Apple.

If it doesn't have an optical drive, I'm sure Apple has come up with a simple easy solution for consumers to install software from a CD or DVD.

I'm still hoping this "Air" is more large iTouch than tiny Macbook. Can't wait until tomorrow night. And even more excited for a Leopard update!

mrkramer
Jan 14, 2008, 09:36 PM
Whatever it is I hope it has a matte screen...

I hope it does too, or else i'll scream, then cry because there is no decent replacement for my 12" powerbook, and then either figure out a mod to put the insides of this into a powerbook case or buy a PC notebook and make a hackintosh.

luminosity
Jan 14, 2008, 09:37 PM
I want an innovative Apple that pushes the boundaries of what's available and makes the industry move forward. Taking away an optical drive could help do that.

tgildred
Jan 14, 2008, 09:37 PM

we'll also be ruled over by morlocks, so... don't sweat the optical drive thing.

Cause you're gonna get eaten by a morlock.

thechidz
Jan 14, 2008, 09:39 PM
yeah if this is it I will wait until I can afford both this and a new mac pro

powermac_daddy
Jan 14, 2008, 09:39 PM
not interested at all. this skinny "girl" is not designed for designers.

mrkramer
Jan 14, 2008, 09:42 PM
I am pretty sure the CD is still the Industry standard..

I'm pretty sure that the floppy disk was the industry standard when the first iMacs came out, the same thing will happen when the optical drive goes. we will have a lot of complaining, and then after a little while everyone will wonder why it took so long to get rid of the optical drive.

impierced
Jan 14, 2008, 09:42 PM

No Ethernet and no video out and it'll be as good as a museum piece to me.

USB can handle Ethernet just fine, but video out is typically very limited when it comes to USB. However, limited or not Apple would be stupid not to provide the drivers to do so.

gifford
Jan 14, 2008, 09:46 PM
I'm still dubious on this one, even though the evidence is stacking up. There is something not right about it.
Although it's hard to tell, I looks bigger than I expected, IMO it should be between 7" & 10" to be significantly small enough for me to warrant buying one as a second computer. Which is the market I can only presume a product of this type is going for.
Also, on a computer of this size, I would get rid of the traditional keyboard and replace it with a multi-touch screen.

Also, if it's multi-touch and > 10" thats a very expensive screen.
Also, I dont like the slope, although it's probably just inevitable evolution.

rainmanbk
Jan 14, 2008, 09:47 PM
For all the angled haters like myself. Plus more room for battery, goodies inside!

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/823/macbooknanocw4.png

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8601/macbooknanolefted9.png

And yes, I'm also an 'Air' hater. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Gah! I just realized I forgot FireWire for the external optical drive! Imagine it to the right of the MagSafe :D

KurtangleTN
Jan 14, 2008, 09:48 PM
something is in the air...

wireless iPod music/data transfer
it sould explain the iPod advertisements in San Francisco this week

Honestly I'd hope so.

It just doesn't make any sense not to Wi-Fi sync, when I'm SSHing into my iPod I constantly get 500-600 kbps from my Mac, which seems much faster then iTunes through USB.

Not only that, it's just far more convenient. I feel like wrapped in wires here on my desk with just the mighty mouse, keyboard.

But back to the MB, I'm kind of weary of ultra portables. Sure the size and weight is great, but I'm perfectly fine with the MBs of today's weight, and hope that if it's really a SUB notebook it will be sub priced as well.

macerroneous
Jan 14, 2008, 09:48 PM
Love the macbook air BUT:
There's more.
Air tunes now. Air video tomorrow.
Streaming video from itunes to any apple screen device (eg iphone and itouch)
Apple TV2 will be itouch for big screen (add bluetooth and safari)
What are you going to enter data with? Wireless BT keyboard.
What about a mouse to use from your sofa? New Apple remote with multitouch trackpad.
BTW Apple TV upgradeable with BT/USB dongle and software update.

Rhosfelt
Jan 14, 2008, 09:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that the floppy disk was the industry standard when the first iMacs came out, the same thing will happen when the optical drive goes. we will have a lot of complaining, and then after a little while everyone will wonder why it took so long to get rid of the optical drive.

I'm not saying that the CD shouldn't be gotten rid of I am just saying right now I don't think would be the best time to get rid of it.

OrangeCuse44
Jan 14, 2008, 09:50 PM
Tapering design is ugly IMO. I hope Apple doesnt go with that...

meagain
Jan 14, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'm still dubious on this one, even though the evidence is stacking up. There is something not right about it.
Although it's hard to tell, I looks bigger than I expected, IMO it should be between 7" & 10" to be significantly small enough for me to warrant buying one as a second computer. Which is the market I can only presume a product of this type is going for.

Why should it be such a small display? I personally wouldn't want to be surfing the net on a 7" screen. I want to understand why everyone wants this tiny screen in a laptop. I personally want a 12 or 13" screen in a 2 pound or less laptop with zero heat. Doesn't everyone else want that? LOL

marvingaye
Jan 14, 2008, 09:51 PM
Personally i don't like the slope design of a notebook, in fact today i sat in class and saw a fellow student's Dell thinking, "Wow i think the slope is unattractive...at least Apple has symmetrical designs." Then I get on, and what do i see? the very computer i spent in class hating on..great... The mock-up is nice, but not apple. Apple is all about simplicity and symmetry, none of their products don't follow the consistency of that. I am really hoping this is not the macbook air, if so i will just buy the revamped macbook or macbook pro.

*Crosses fingers*"PLEASE DON'T DISAPPOINT ME APPLE!"

I totally agree - that slope design pisses me off! Total Dell/Sony-style.

djon41
Jan 14, 2008, 09:52 PM
looks absolutely hideous. (wired.com's mockup, that is)

DavidCar
Jan 14, 2008, 09:55 PM
With a name like MacBookAir, I'm going to predict no wired connections, which was a rumor referred to in the article.

I'll repeat my earlier prediction of a new Airport Express, but with multiple fully functional USB ports to make up for no ports on the MacBookAir.

Perhaps the battery could be charged via an accompanying stand, or wireless dock, using inductive coupling or something.

DTphonehome
Jan 14, 2008, 09:59 PM
not interested at all. this skinny "girl" is not designed for designers.

And a girly Ducati isn't for contractors hauling lumber. What's your point?

macerroneous
Jan 14, 2008, 10:00 PM
design cue: new keyboards slope.
Best keyboard ever.

monke
This whole "in the air" thing just made sense to me.

Apple wouldn't base banners on one product alone, they would however base it on the technology inside a product. Last years "The first 30 years were just the beginning" lead to the iPhone, a beginning for Apple in the cellular department. This year it's going to be the technology built into the MacBook Air and how else they will use that technology.

One thing out of all the rumours is for certain though, it will not have wireless power. I'm stating that right now. If it doesn't have a power cord, it will plug into that iMac display device and charge that way. Or it will be like a digital camera and have a separate battery charging station type thing were you could charge a battery and then swap it into your MacBook. Thus the only way it can be 100% wireless.

Those are just my thoughts.
As for tomorrow, I can't wait.
MacBook Air, updated MacBook Pro's, new Apple Cinema Display's.
Consider today MWSF 2008 Eve. ;)

MrCrowbar
For all the angled haters like myself. Plus more room for battery, goodies inside!

EDIT: Gah! I just realized I forgot FireWire for the external optical drive! Imagine it to the right of the MagSafe :D

YES! Perfect!

NickElls
Jan 14, 2008, 10:01 PM
I took off the round back part cause it made it look whale-like.

Then I animated it.

http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=macbookairuu6.swf

Press the button on the side for FUN!

themodestguy

I agree. However, people were freaking out about the lack of a physical keyboard on the iPhone and everything turned out all good. They know what they are doing.

Saying that, I wouldn't want to own this. If it's this small it is probably very limited. I'd rather keep my MacBook Pro.

jellomizer
looks awsome. i dont really care cuz my macbook is only 6 months old :). i really want itunes to add rentals. that may pursuade me to purchase an :apple:tv and new tv. CANT WAIT!

Well if if is an issue that you like the device... Once your Macbook is Out of Date in 4, 5 years (or whatever your prefer update cycle is) then you will have a mature new Mac Model to choose from. The main rule of thumb is don't get version 1 of a product unless you..

A. Have a desperate need of such a product and it will greatly improve your life even with any issues.

B. You have enough money to get one without causing a change in your life style. And you think it is cool but if it doesn't work as advertised nothing gained nothing lost...

Myself I waited a Long time for a Gen II MacBook Pro to come out. From a Powerbook 667 Mhz. But it was worth getting a stable system without the issues that gen I models have.

powermac_daddy
Jan 14, 2008, 10:03 PM
And a girly Ducati isn't for contractors hauling lumber. What's your point?

my point is simple. you need a powerful/fast computer to do design work, time is money; and this little "girl" ain't going to save you time.

this little skinny "girl" is more for those business or law dudes. Email and MS Word, low power programs.

andiwm2003
Jan 14, 2008, 10:04 PM
this is what i can see would be useful to me. anything less would be a dealbreaker for me.

less than $2000
13 inch screen (anything less than 13 inch is too small for me)
dual core with 1.6 GHz minimum
2 GB ram
integrated graphics
minimum 60 GB flash based HD
full keyboard
2 USB ports
ethernet port via USB adapter
trackpad
SD card reader (can be used as expansion slot for 8 GB or 16GB cards)
wifi and bluetooth
dvi out
microphone, speaker, camera
audio & microphone connectors
hopefully dock connector
external DVD drive
less than 3 pounds
firewire would be nice but not necessary

macsimillian
Jan 14, 2008, 10:04 PM
... it will come with a wireless optical drive:cool:

iconboy
Jan 14, 2008, 10:06 PM
all this hubub about the ultra thin portable makes me think they wont release a new macbook pro, it seems like this will be their big announcment and that makes me sad,. not because im not looking forward to seeing this thing, but becasue the macbook pro is overdue for an update! :( and ive been waiting for this keynote to buy my macbook pro. what are the chances that a new macbook pro will show up as well?

DTphonehome
Jan 14, 2008, 10:07 PM
my point is simple. you need a powerful/fast computer to do design work, time is money; and this little "girl" ain't going to save you time.

this little skinny "girl" is more for those business or law dudes. Email and MS Word, low power programs.

Right. So why is this any less useful to the people it will be marketed towards? If you need a powerful computer, great, Apple has some nice ones. But they don't have a thin, light machine. Hopefully tomorrow they will.

gifford
Jan 14, 2008, 10:08 PM
Why should it be such a small display? I personally wouldn't want to be surfing the net on a 7" screen. I want to understand why everyone wants this tiny screen in a laptop. I personally want a 12 or 13" screen in a 2 pound or less laptop with zero heat. Doesn't everyone else want that? LOL

i already have a 13" laptop, and its annoyingly bulky. I want something that can fit (at a squeeze) in my jacket pocket, car glove compartment, rucksac, handbag (girlfriends)

akm3
Wouldn't it be neat if the external optical drive was wireless? Either via wireless USB, bluetooth (is that fast enough?) etc.

And hell, put wireless HDMI on it as well to feed other displays...like...

I don't know new Apple Cinema displays with wireless HDMI inputs?

Just thinking about what apple could do to make this thing cooler. Obviously it'd have wireless N.

Think wireless everything. It could come with it's own Wireless USB hub, which perhaps a normal wired USB optical drive could plug into. The wireless USB hub could be the centerpiece eliminating a need for a docking station (with Wireless HDMI for the display)

Eduardo1971
Fake?

http://i13.tinypic.com/6tv9xjr.gif
:rolleyes:

Fast Shadow
Jan 14, 2008, 10:10 PM
Glass screen? Wouldn't the weight of a 12-13" chunk of glass be contrary to a lightweight design?

DTphonehome
this is what i can see would be useful to me. anything less would be a dealbreaker for me.

less than $2000
13 inch screen (anything less than 13 inch is too small for me)
dual core with 1.6 GHz minimum
2 GB ram
integrated graphics
minimum 60 GB flash based HD
full keyboard
2 USB ports
ethernet port via USB adapter
trackpad
SD card reader (can be used as expansion slot for 8 GB or 16GB cards)
wifi and bluetooth
dvi out
microphone, speaker, camera
audio & microphone connectors
hopefully dock connector
external DVD drive
less than 3 pounds
firewire would be nice but not necessary

I agree with most of that, but not the SD reader. Apple hasn't done it until now (not even on the iPhone, where it makes a lot of sense), and I doubt they'll do it now. Get a Sandisk SD plus USB card...folds in half to expose a USB connector. I have one in my camera and my treo...it's amazing.

RiCEADDiCTBOY
ugh...enough! just give me a 13.3 MBP with an updated chassis design!

Just give me a better MBP! Screw this lite book...

Victor ch
Jan 14, 2008, 10:11 PM

Now THAT does look pretty sweet! I would hate a non-consistent thickness in the bottom and in the top. Nice photochopin' ;) And yes the Air is not as good as the nano name.

-Victor

DTphonehome
Jan 14, 2008, 10:12 PM
Glass screen? Wouldn't the weight of a 12-13" chunk of glass be contrary to a lightweight design?

If it were a cube, then yes. Otherwise, a thin sheet of tempered glass may not be prohibitively weighty. We shall see soon enough I guess. I think plastic is still quite likely, especially if it's not a touchscreen (which I hope it isn't).

jayeskreezy
I hope it doesn't look like that.

If it's not a MBP update I just hope that it has a matte screen, better video card, optical drive, and no touch screen.

I really just want the regular mb with a good video card and a matte screen.

If they did that I have said it before, but I'll sell my current 15" SR MBP immediately.

Warbrain
Fake?

As fake as Pamela Anderson.

AppleNewton
USB to Ethernet adapter anyone? Maybe an induction charger as well.

It looks quite slick though getting rid of some excess hardware.

perhaps ports on a/the "powerbrick" or possible using mini/micro-USB and micro-FW?

dont know how plausible that is, but than again that is why I'am NOT a designer for Apple i guess, lol.

I do think the whole New-style wireless keyboard powerbutton on the side would be an excellent idea; though wouldnt it still be alittle thick?
if they did do that and IF there is a labtop this year.

Kallikinos
Jan 14, 2008, 10:14 PM
Also, on a computer of this size, I would get rid of the traditional keyboard and replace it with a multi-touch screen.

Also, if it's multi-touch and > 10" thats a very expensive screen.
Also, I dont like the slope, although it's probably just inevitable evolution.

What is with these multi-touch screens...they're great and all but if you need to type a paper it won't be a-lot fun. Print out a keyboard on a piece of paper, place it on a flat desk and try to type...then you'll see what I mean.

I was hoping for this to be a more inexpensive laptop then the Macbook, but it looks like my hopes were miss placed :(

benspratling
Jan 14, 2008, 10:15 PM
Believe it or not, I don't like it. I actually would not buy this item, probably BECAUSE its so thin.

"And I would not buy cars with better gas mileage, BECAUSE they'd cost less at the pump... And I would not buy "North Face" because it's so warm in the cold, and I would not buy movies because they're moving images and have sound, and I would not buy music because a person's soul has been trapped in the evil machine, and and and..."

*sigh*

Jan 14, 2008, 10:17 PM
Wouldn't it be neat if the external optical drive was wireless? Either via wireless USB, bluetooth (is that fast enough?) etc.

And hell, put wireless HDMI on it as well to feed other displays...like...

I don't know new Apple Cinema displays with wireless HDMI inputs?

Just thinking about what apple could do to make this thing cooler. Obviously it'd have wireless N.

Think wireless everything. It could come with it's own Wireless USB hub, which perhaps a normal wired USB optical drive could plug into. The wireless USB hub could be the centerpiece eliminating a need for a docking station (with Wireless HDMI for the display)

This actually sounds pretty tempting, and with wireless-n, i think its all possible.

it would eliminate the hassle and ugliness of regular docking stations, plus, you could theoretically use anything attached to it from anywhere in the house.

RiCEADDiCTBOY
"And I would not buy cars with better gas mileage, BECAUSE they'd cost less at the pump... And I would not buy "North Face" because it's so warm in the cold, and I would not buy movies because they're moving images and have sound, and I would not buy music because a person's soul has been trapped in the evil machine, and and and..."

*sigh*

that was a horrible comparison...try again please.

pyramid6
The more I read the thread, the more I am convinced, that either they didn't make it, or they made a mistake. Slightly smaller + less functionality = too many deal breakers.

People want:
more cpu
more disk space
more ram
more screen
more battery life
more usb ports
optical drive
integrated graphics
ethernet
firewire 800
etc

Compare that with:
smaller form factor
smaller weight

It needs to be drastically different, or have most of what people want/need.
Pocketable or almost would make it justified. Just being a little smaller makes it a niche product. Apple doesn't do niche, much.

P6

thechidz

*sigh*

ummmmmm:confused:

Is he not entitled to an e-pinion?

ekdor
Jan 14, 2008, 10:18 PM
-

thechidz
Jan 14, 2008, 10:18 PM
The more I read the thread, the more I am convinced, that either they didn't make it, or they made a mistake. Slightly smaller + less functionality = too many deal breakers.

People want:
more cpu
more disk space
more ram
more screens
more battery life
more usb ports
optical driver
integrated graphics
ethernet
firewire 800
etc

Compare that with:
smaller form factor
smaller weight

Pocketable or almost would make it justified. Just being a little smaller makes it a niche product. Apple doesn't do niche, much.

P6

I agree. I really dont think this is it

Jan 14, 2008, 10:19 PM

People want:
more cpu
more disk space
more ram
more screens
more battery life
more usb ports
optical driver
integrated graphics
ethernet
firewire 800
etc

Compare that with:
smaller form factor
smaller weight

P6

these needs represent macrumors readers, namely professionals who need powerhouse computers. thats not who this thing would be targeting.

thechidz
Jan 14, 2008, 10:20 PM
I like it, not that I can see much of it. But what a shame it's only running 10.4... but then again 10.5 isn't turning out so good for me. What I want is 10.5 updated... Really really bad. Make my brand new Macbook Pro work properly again. Although i'd also like a laptop with the guts of the desktop machine as I like the portability but need more power for apps like maya and mudbox.

agreed. I would rather see a macbook pro with more power and a new form factor, even if it's not thinner. Something that can revolutionize the desktop replacement but still be reasonably portable

benspratling
Jan 14, 2008, 10:20 PM
Looks very nice.

But doesn't seem very practical, not much can fit in an enclosure than thin.

Ah, we have found M$'s replacement for Steve Ballmer.

GQB
Jan 14, 2008, 10:22 PM

I had to get a Krzr (pretty razr) because AT&T won't let me use an iPhone with my company's pooled minutes plan. (DAMN YOU AT&T!!)
Believe me... you don't want one. Not if you've ever touched an iPhone.

kungming2
Jan 14, 2008, 10:22 PM
Fake?

Fake as Steve Job being a automatron robot. 1GB of Ram? And there's no such thing as an 60 or 80 SSD. A MacBook page photoshopped, it is.

benspratling
Jan 14, 2008, 10:23 PM
ummmmmm:confused:

Is he not entitled to an e-pinion?

And some people still think the world is flat. I, however, design spacecraft. Notice I am not arresting him for his opinion, simply ridiculing him. I never said he wasn't entitled to his "e-pinion," but so am I, so why question me for questioning him?

Coconutsport
Jan 14, 2008, 10:23 PM
what does Wired know? First off, this image looks WAY too much like a thinner version of this Dell XPS notebook
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1267/1031104873_b9946ce3a7.jpg

with the wedge shape to accomodate that ridiculous hinge. The USB ports on the side are all wrong. Judging from Apple past designs they are not going to stick two side by side USB ports on one side and leave all the other ports on another side? If anything, they will be on the back and incorported into the hinge somehow with that folding port for the Ethernet cable and Monitor connection they patented a few years back. The wedge shaped slivers on top of LCD half of the notebook are all funky looking too. Why add that additional material? unless there a stiffness issue? I would think that Apple would be forced into using Aluminum or Titanium not just from a conformity standpoint with their other models, but from the necessity in achieving the thinness while still not feeling cheap or fragile. Just my opinion here's to hoping Steve drops a megaton on this thin notebook and blows us all away. (great, I made that impossible now). Is it me, or just MacBookAir sound like it should be sponsored by Nike or something?