Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The mockup pic makes it look as thin as a RAZR2. That is unbelievable!

That mockup pic (which should not be taken seriously since it's speculation) looks about as thick as my old PBG4! And it looks to have a 17" screen! (I'm judging by those USB ports.) :p

I like the glass rumor--that cleanable screen is the best thing about the new iMacs. I'd like that on any LCD. (But if it would add weight/thickness then I'm skeptical.)

aztwin15

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
i still think that, right now at least, an optical drive is more important than ethernet

is the idea that it would be used in connection with a docking station to allow for an external optical

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
the one thing that i dont like about the rumors is the lack of an optical drive
isnt that pretty limiting?

still
it looks amazing

It's limiting to not have an optical drive at all, but most of the rumors have suggested an external drive, meaning that it could still have the functionality but only when you need it. I think that is a very good idea, since many people use their optical drives only infrequently at the very most! Thus these people can shed the weight that they won't need and get more computing power.

aztwin15

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
It's limiting to not have an optical drive at all, but most of the rumors have suggested an external drive, meaning that it could still have the functionality but only when you need it. I think that is a very good idea, since many people use their optical drives only infrequently at the very most! Thus these people can shed the weight that they won't need and get more computing power.

i still burn CD's and DVD's regularly including video production stuff
so i guess that's my reason for it being impractical

and also, if i had an ultra portable laptop, id want to be able to watch DVD's when traveling

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
i still think that, right now at least, an optical drive is more important than ethernet
It's limiting to not have an optical drive at all, but most of the rumors have suggested an external drive, meaning that it could still have the functionality but only when you need it.
Exactly.

I rarely use the optical drive. But I basically don't use a computer if there's no internet and like it or not, the US is a bit behind the rest of the world in terms of internet speeds/ access and so to me, an ethernet port makes more sense than an internal optical drive.

YMMV? What in the he11 does that mean? o_O :rolleyes:
Your Mileage May Vary. Or, "It really just depends; might not be the same for everyone, everywhere."

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA

Sounds like this is not meant to be marketed as a machine for production, but rather very consumer oriented.

and also, if i had an ultra portable laptop, id want to be able to watch DVD's when traveling

iTunes Movie rentals via WiFi....

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA

I totally agree. While I barely ever use my superdrive, it's still nice to know that it's there for when I want to rip CD's to my iTunes library, and for the occasional DVD's I burn for the 'rents, etc.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Its too thin...it looks frail/weak like it wont be able to do any real work besides surfing the internet, running pages and i suppose make you look hip whilst doing so. If its as thin as that, i can bet no discrete graphics, no REAL powerful processor most likely a ULV chip.

It also kinda looks like a toy...kinda. Meh.

aztwin15

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
I rarely use the optical drive. But I basically don't use a computer if there's no internet and like it or not, the US is a bit behind the rest of the world in terms of internet speeds/ access and so to me, an ethernet port makes more sense than an internal optical drive.

you can't completely rule out some advance in wifi with this computer that would eliminate ethernet necessity

i just am hoping to cut down on cords altogether, so an external optical drive and an ethernet cord is not appealing

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Discussed many many many times over.

I consider a lack of an optical a plus. YMMV.

I agree! My husband has the Toshiba r500 1.7 pounder and it's really cool except for flaws (display is laughable). I want Apple to make him regret buying it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.