PDA

View Full Version : ibook G4 - Leopard or Tiger?

JHNguyen
Jan 14, 2008, 11:35 PM
whoops, I meant PANTHER or Tiger

Hey,
I've got a ibook 1.2 ghz w/ 1.25 gigs of ram. I'm going to be using it for school. Just some word processing, email/internet, and music. It came with panther and it has the latest updates..

Is it worth it to get Tiger for it? Will I notice a huge difference? Things are alright now, but I'm used to my MBP zipping through everything. I know it won't ever be as zippy as the MBP, but will Tiger make a huge difference?

SoLibertyDies
Jan 14, 2008, 11:37 PM
Hey,
I've got a ibook 1.2 ghz w/ 1.25 gigs of ram. I'm going to be using it for school. Just some word processing, email/internet, and music. It came with Leopard and it has the latest updates..

Is it worth it to get Tiger for it? Will I notice a huge difference? Things are alright now, but I'm used to my MBP zipping through everything. I know it won't ever be as zippy as the MBP, but will Tiger make a huge difference?

Um, are you talking about downgrading to Tiger or did you just mix up your words?

from what I hear Leopard is faster on G4's and makes them much snappier.

Santabean2000
Jan 14, 2008, 11:48 PM
Tiger is worth the upgrade from Panther. But why stop there, get Leopard.

I have Leopard running on a 1GHz 512RAM iBook and it's adequate, just. Perhaps with your higher specs Leopard could be your best option.

Edit: Leopard definitely not snappier than Tiger on a low end machine.

sorryiwasdreami
Jan 15, 2008, 12:09 AM
I've got an ibook G4 12" with 1GB ram running Leopard very well. I recommend it.

ArmyKnight12
Jan 15, 2008, 12:11 AM
Get Tiger now or upgrade Ram then get Leopard.

ReanimationLP
Jan 15, 2008, 12:26 AM
Get Tiger now or upgrade Ram then get Leopard.

Go with Leopard. BTW ArmyKnight, 1.25 is the max for the iBook G4 1.2 GHz. (1GB SO-DIMM, 256MB Built In.)