Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHNguyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
whoops, I meant PANTHER or Tiger

Hey,
I've got a ibook 1.2 ghz w/ 1.25 gigs of ram. I'm going to be using it for school. Just some word processing, email/internet, and music. It came with panther and it has the latest updates..

Is it worth it to get Tiger for it? Will I notice a huge difference? Things are alright now, but I'm used to my MBP zipping through everything. I know it won't ever be as zippy as the MBP, but will Tiger make a huge difference?

SoLibertyDies

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
Spanaway, Wa
Hey,
I've got a ibook 1.2 ghz w/ 1.25 gigs of ram. I'm going to be using it for school. Just some word processing, email/internet, and music. It came with Leopard and it has the latest updates..

Is it worth it to get Tiger for it? Will I notice a huge difference? Things are alright now, but I'm used to my MBP zipping through everything. I know it won't ever be as zippy as the MBP, but will Tiger make a huge difference?

Um, are you talking about downgrading to Tiger or did you just mix up your words?

from what I hear Leopard is faster on G4's and makes them much snappier.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Tiger is worth the upgrade from Panther. But why stop there, get Leopard.

I have Leopard running on a 1GHz 512RAM iBook and it's adequate, just. Perhaps with your higher specs Leopard could be your best option.

Edit: Leopard definitely not snappier than Tiger on a low end machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.