PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces iPhone Software Update & SDK Release Date

MacRumors
Jan 15, 2008, 12:32 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple announced a number of updates to the iPhone platform today. The iPhone has sold over 4 million units since going on sale 200 days ago. That averages 20,000 iPhones sold per day. In its first quarter shipping, the iPhone garnered 19.5% of the US Smartphone market (2nd only behind RIM's BlackBerry).

iPhone SDK Release scheduled for February

New Software today
Google Maps with Location
Webclips - website bookmarks on your home screen. Clips will remember where you zoomed/panned to, and you are able to create up to 9 of them.
Chapter Options & Language Capability - now available in iPod mode.
Multiple-Contact SMS

Available today as a free update to all existing iPhone users.

Many of these features were recently previously rumored.MacHeist (http://www.macrumors.com/c.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fkeynote.macheist.com&t=1200412826) is providing full sponsorship for our MacRumorsLive feed today. Buy their 11 application bundle (http://www.macrumors.com/c.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fkeynote.macheist.com&t=1200412826) for $49 and support MacRumorsLive.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/15/apple-announces-iphone-software-update-and-sdk-release-date/)

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 15, 2008, 12:34 PM
Glad to see this, but I was underwhelmed by the Keynote.

I was hoping for an early release of the SDK.

Mike Teezie
Jan 15, 2008, 12:34 PM
Wow, pretty much exactly what was leaked?

Looking forward to getting it.

twoodcc
Jan 15, 2008, 12:35 PM
i will be upgrading my iphone when it's available

domness
Jan 15, 2008, 12:38 PM
i will be upgrading my iphone when it's available
@twoodcc & CWallace - Same here!

I almost thought that GearLive was faking the whole new 1.1.3 update with screenshots. But now I just can't wait to download it!

ImNoSuperMan
Jan 15, 2008, 12:48 PM
GENTLEhackers start your engines.

Please I have 2 locked 1.1.2 iPhones eating dust:(:(. Please.

ben5959
Jan 15, 2008, 12:52 PM
Keynote was bad, Every bit of it was previously leaked. when can i get this today, im impatient

ben5959
Jan 15, 2008, 12:55 PM
BTW, Thanks apple for making the touch virtully the same as my iphone now. "oh its got 2-4 times as much storage and all the same features as your iphone except for the camera and phone appn now, we dont care" hahaha!!! apple jerks

tjespo22
Jan 15, 2008, 12:57 PM
where is it!!!!!??

kellen
Jan 15, 2008, 12:57 PM
BTW, Thanks apple for making the touch virtully the same as my iphone now. "oh its got 2-4 times as much storage and all the same features as your iphone except for the camera and phone appn now, we dont care" hahaha!!! apple jerks

Wasn't that the point of the touch, an iphone without the phone?

kenaustus
Jan 15, 2008, 01:06 PM
Happy to see the software upgrades, but sorry that there were no hardware upgrades to go with it. My money was on a bump in memory and a second iPhone design. Looks like my bank account is safe for a few months.

john7jr
Jan 15, 2008, 01:08 PM
Downloading now! The update is live....

briananderson
Jan 15, 2008, 01:10 PM
Looks like its now available to d/l.

xwk88
Jan 15, 2008, 01:12 PM
clicking at the check for update button in itunes is not working!!!!!!:mad:
when is this going to be up????isn't there like a download page from apple:cool: I'd happily do it manually if i have to, to get it now!!!:D:apple:

bytethese
Jan 15, 2008, 01:12 PM
The new software updates for my iPhone are cool, but I was hoping for an anouncement for upcoming hardware changes, ie Larger Storage Capacity or perhaps plans for a 3G iPhone. Grr....

Ike
Jan 15, 2008, 01:14 PM
is there anywhere you can download it - without the use of itunes?

Nicolasdec
The update is live.....

empress
when is this going to be up????isn't there like a download page from apple:cool: I'd happily do it manually if i have to, to get it now!!!:D:apple:

i'm downloading the update right now through "check update" in itunes... i have 60 seconds remaining on the download!!!

SthrnCmfrtr
162.1 MB. Hmm...

samh004
Jan 15, 2008, 01:15 PM
I want to hear more about this iPhone SDK, hopefully more will be revealed sooner rather than later.

john7jr
Jan 15, 2008, 01:15 PM

Keep trying to look for an update, it's there.

PlaceofDis
Jan 15, 2008, 01:17 PM
all good improvments.

its a good thing that apple are moving forward with improving the iPhone as much as possible from a software standpoint, rather than locking a set of features to hardware upgrades. (as they've done with the iPod in the past, no?)

xwk88
Jan 15, 2008, 01:17 PM
I got it updating now :D

Merser
Jan 15, 2008, 01:18 PM
Nice turn around time apple... its downloading now!

kimhill
Jan 15, 2008, 01:18 PM
where is it!!!!!??

1.1.3 is live (DLing now) for me (NYC/Verizon DSL).

thegman1234
Jan 15, 2008, 01:19 PM
Do we know if we can still make our own ringtones with 1.1.3?

BTW the update took a little while but it's great.

mca7
Jan 15, 2008, 01:23 PM
No Landscape Keyboard Yet!!!!

dogtanian
Jan 15, 2008, 01:24 PM
In 15 seconds i can find out whether the google location thingy works in the UK...

CWallace
Jan 15, 2008, 01:25 PM
Suhweet. Downloading now.

bennifer3000
Jan 15, 2008, 01:25 PM
Good keynote but expectable. No huge surprises.

I'm much more interested in the  TV now, but probably am going to hold off until Take 3.
That being said I really liked the subtitles + audio options though for iPhone. That's nice.

xwk88
Jan 15, 2008, 01:26 PM
In 15 seconds i can find out whether the google location thingy works in the UK...

why wouldn't it isn't this supposed to be just a software thing or does it need any hardware changes or network specific changes to suport it?????
I think it should work fine

sixth
Jan 15, 2008, 01:32 PM
why o WHY can i not have DISK MODE!!!!! drag and drop thats all i WANT!!!

louden
Jan 15, 2008, 01:32 PM
Looks like the iPhone now works with Windows Vista 64...

Finally...

FreeState
Jan 15, 2008, 01:33 PM
You can now manually manage music and videos in iTunes - yeah....

jphall
Jan 15, 2008, 01:34 PM
I usually wait for you guys to test these things for me, but not this time. ::grin::

Now restarting, now rearranging icons on the screen, now finding out where I live according to the Maps location function.

This is very cool!

happydude
Jan 15, 2008, 01:34 PM
getting iphone in feb!!! so excited. just waiting for tmobile contract to run out. hate them so much . . .

and then my wife has said when iphone 2 comes out, i can get that and she'll take iphone 1. seriously, best woman ever. :D:D:D

SpinThis!
Jan 15, 2008, 01:35 PM
It looks like with iTunes 7.6 you can finally manage your music manually on the iPhone....

Ike
Jan 15, 2008, 01:35 PM
and then my wife has said when iphone 2 comes out, i can get that and she'll take iphone 1. seriously, best woman ever. :D:D:D

haha! mine said the same thing too! isn't life great!

appledamian
Jan 15, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hum no ichat. Getting tired of using text messages all the time. weaksauce

tlhash
The find me was within 200 yards

nifty_nigel10
does it have copy and paste?

badlydrawnboy
Can the iPhone do voice recording with 1.1.3?

hollerz
Jan 15, 2008, 01:37 PM

well...?

alexku
Jan 15, 2008, 01:39 PM
from the video on apple.com it looks like we have caps lock now! yeah!

bennifer3000
You can now manually manage music and videos in iTunes - yeah....

You mean delete songs, etc.?

ghall
It looks like with iTunes 7.6 you can finally manage your music manually on the iPhone....

Excellent! I can't wait until it finishes downloading! :D

diamond.g
Jan 15, 2008, 01:40 PM

We have had Caps Lock since 1.1.1 (maybe even 1.0.1).

iomar
Jan 15, 2008, 01:41 PM
Yes, my phone is updated to 1.1.3. It works great so far!!

daSilVetZ
Jan 15, 2008, 01:41 PM

we've always had caps locks..

pgwalsh
Jan 15, 2008, 01:42 PM
Nice to see a software update with new apps. Sad to see there was not a new iPhone. The SDK is great, hopefully Adium will be developed for the iPhone.

brn2prgrm
Jan 15, 2008, 01:43 PM
Just wanted to report in from a hacked iPhone upgrade. The process went smooth, I did not need to restore my iPhone first, and it's now up and running without Installer.APP! Overall great update and worth losing the Apps!

Side note: Google Maps' location feature is scarily accurate. It was able to pinpoint my location within about a 1 block radius! Awesome!!

daSilVetZ
Jan 15, 2008, 01:45 PM
I just updated my iPhone to 1.1.3 and it is asking me to Activate the phone "Welcome to your new iPhone".. its been on this screen for 15 mins.. im on the phone with Apple, he's calling AT&T.. i cant use my iPhone now this is great.

rteichman
Jan 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
:mad: No cut and paste, come on now HOW difficult could that be? Why don't we have it yet?

tenmiler
Jan 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
six months later... have said it before and will say it here, these are not useful features for most of us and the development cycle seems to be crawling along as if there are five people on the iphone product while they invent the next home doo-dad (an iRack, perhaps?).

where is the voice dialing. multiple deletion. mms. real mail syncing. things that make this phone closer to the features in a treo or blackberry.

it sure isn't here. at this rate, a 2.0 update looks to be on the same 18-24 month release schedule as the OS.

lame. perhaps i'm just miffed the macbook pro is languishing while other windows laptops are speeding past with faster chips and better technology. i was so ready to buy. :(

xwk88
Jan 15, 2008, 01:47 PM
the webclip thing is awesome......
it makes the webapps feel a bit more "native"
and having access to macrumors and online banking right from the home screen is great......overall great update.....
I feel like I have an almost new phone....now all I want is video :D

chr1s60
Jan 15, 2008, 01:49 PM
Happy to see the software upgrades, but sorry that there were no hardware upgrades to go with it. My money was on a bump in memory and a second iPhone design. Looks like my bank account is safe for a few months.

Like I have been saying for months... There was no way Apple was going to update the iPhone within a year. Had they announced a new model today, the millions of people that just got an iPhone within the last month would be furious. There will be an iPhone two, but I don't expect to see it til at least the end of 2008. More features and a possible new design need to be developed first.

mduser63
Jan 15, 2008, 01:52 PM
Anyone else getting "The iPhone software update server could not be contacted." when clicking on "Check for Update" in iTunes?

EDIT: Right after I hit reply I clicked Check for Update about 5 more times and finally got the update. Must just be that the server is getting slammed. Downloading now…

blueflame
Jan 15, 2008, 01:55 PM
ok, so i did this wonderful update, but now 2 things happen.

1: i now have 2500 messages in my inbox. what the hell! i dont want to delete each of those individually. what do i do?

2: in my mail accounts on the phone, i now have like sub headings it says gmail, all mail etc... what is that, how do i get rid of it?

all in all, some good features, i just dont want to spend 4 hours deleting 2500 messages

britabroad
Took about an hour to download, and about 15 mins to do its stuff, then bingo - all working. LOVE the new maps, and just re-sorting home page now. No restore necessary here. Excellent upgrade.

andysmith
The 'Locate Me' feature is working great for me in the UK.

ahand
Jan 15, 2008, 01:56 PM
Scary moment, when updating my non hacked iPhone stopped and iTunes said there was an error, it had to restore before installing 1.1.3, only hack on it is the legitimate garageband ringtones. resyncing now.

Beligerent
Jan 15, 2008, 01:57 PM
the guy in the video said something about it now displaying lyrics... Does it download them or does he mean it'll display 'em if you stored them in iTunes

Island Dog
Jan 15, 2008, 01:57 PM
Updated and everything seems to work.

But once again, no way to delete multiple e-mails.

chr1s60
Jan 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
six months later... have said it before and will say it here, these are not useful features for most of us and the development cycle seems to be crawling along as if there are five people on the iphone product while they invent the next home doo-dad (an iRack, perhaps?).

where is the voice dialing. multiple deletion. mms. real mail syncing. things that make this phone closer to the features in a treo or blackberry.

it sure isn't here. at this rate, a 2.0 update looks to be on the same 18-24 month release schedule as the OS.

lame. perhaps i'm just miffed the macbook pro is languishing while other windows laptops are speeding past with faster chips and better technology. i was so ready to buy. :(

Whine, whine, whine... it never ends with you people. I have seen many complaints about the features that were given in this update and immediately there are more complaints. Take what you get as you get it. If Apple released all the things you just mentioned, you would update and be back in 5 minutes asking where other features are. Not to mention, the voice dialing on Blackberry sucks and is extremely inaccurate, I would rather not have it.

kainjow
Jan 15, 2008, 02:00 PM
When I first went to update, it downloaded fine, but I disconnected my iPhone during the download and then it gave an error. Now every time I go to redownload the update, it gives me this error :(

drusoicy
Jan 15, 2008, 02:02 PM
So...

What were all of you who were saying that our image gallery and video of 1.1.3 was fake thinking when Steve Jobs basically demoed everything that we demoed weeks ago, hmmmm? ;)

arkitect
Jan 15, 2008, 02:03 PM
"Locate Me"

Wow! :eek: I am impressed. It works a lot better than I expectedů :D:D

furthur
Jan 15, 2008, 02:03 PM
Just sent my first blast text on an iPhone!! It's about time.

Also, it seems Apple has expanded the space available for sms texts. I had been getting that annoying message about needing to delete texts - but now it's gone.

Now if I could only delete individual texts (instead of entire conversations) I'd be in sms heaven.

javaGuru
Jan 15, 2008, 02:05 PM
Like I have been saying for months... There was no way Apple was going to update the iPhone within a year. Had they announced a new model today, the millions of people that just got an iPhone within the last month would be furious. There will be an iPhone two, but I don't expect to see it til at least the end of 2008. More features and a possible new design need to be developed first.

I believe Japan will be getting the iPhone soon. However they do not have Edge in Japan. They only have 3G. They will have to come out with a 3G iPhone for Japan to get one soon.

hitmaker09
Jan 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
That "update server cannot be contacted" message keeps popping up, can't update my iphone, this is annoying.

arkitect
Jan 15, 2008, 02:11 PM
That "update server cannot be contacted" message keeps popping up, can't update my iphone, this is annoying.

Probably ▒4million iPhone users trying to do the same thing. ;)

I ran my update within a minute of it being available and even then it took a while to download the 165MB. :o

morserj
Jan 15, 2008, 02:13 PM
When I first went to update, it downloaded fine, but I disconnected my iPhone during the download and then it gave an error. Now every time I go to redownload the update, it gives me this error :(

I keep getting the same issue. It downloaded the update, but now wont update, and wont run because it cant connect the server

beach
Jan 15, 2008, 02:13 PM
There is a price to be paid for the ability to manually manage music.....

iPhone will only sync with one machine, now. No longer can you manage music on your Mac at home and sync with Outlook on your PC at work.

A message comes up stating that the iPhone was sync'd with another computer and do you want to erase or cancel.

chr1s60
Jan 15, 2008, 02:15 PM
I believe Japan will be getting the iPhone soon. However they do not have Edge in Japan. They only have 3G. They will have to come out with a 3G iPhone for Japan to get one soon.

Last I had heard, there still was no deal in place. Once a deal is in place, it will still take multiple months before a release. This would likely put an actual release in the 4th quarter of 2008, which would fit in my guess that there will be no updated iPhone until late 2008. Just my take on things, we will see though.

Leney
Jan 15, 2008, 02:15 PM
I'm having problems with the update. I downloaded it simultaneously with the iTunes update. The iphone one finished first and gave me an error. I rebooted the computer and the iphone doesn't update. I can't connect back to the server to update or restore. I'm hoping that since I already downloaded the iphone update that I can use that file and not download it again, but I don't know if that is possible.

GlowingApple
Jan 15, 2008, 02:18 PM
Download server still can't be contacted for me, but Nate True (http://cre.ations.net/blog) posts a direct download link to the 1.1.3 restore image on Apple's site here (http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/113-iphone-firmware-released-same-as-the-leaked-one). Just finished downloading for me, so I'm in the process of trying the restore...

FreeState
Jan 15, 2008, 02:19 PM

iPhone will only sync with one machine, now. No longer can you manage music on your Mac at home and sync with Outlook on your PC at work.

A message comes up stating that the iPhone was sync'd with another computer and do you want to erase or cancel.

Thats because you are changing its preferences from sync to no sync. When you get to your computer housing your music change the manual manage with that iTunes and then it will work fine...

Kedrik
Jan 15, 2008, 02:19 PM

This happened to me too, but I went into i-tunes download window and clicked the x after the stopped download and it picked up where it left off.:)

cdavi060
Jan 15, 2008, 02:22 PM
so the update takes away the unlock and summerboard correct? The only reason I use it is to change my background. Anyone want to tell more about what happens when updating a hacked phone?

bennifer3000
Jan 15, 2008, 02:25 PM
The update is a pretty hefty 200+ MB.

Anyway whats the music management you are talking about?

CWallace
Jan 15, 2008, 02:27 PM
I just wish I could delete an icon. I don't use the iTunes Download one and I hate how it just sits there alone on the bottom row.

dr_lha
Jan 15, 2008, 02:28 PM
I just wish I could delete an icon. I don't use the iTunes Download one and I hate how it just sits there alone on the bottom row.
Give it some company then. Or move it to another screen.

mambodancer
Jan 15, 2008, 02:29 PM
The update is a pretty hefty 200+ MB.

Anyway whats the music management you are talking about?

Update works great for me.

You can now manually copy music to your iPhone. Check the box in the iPhone summary tab.

Love the new additions, esp. Maps and rearranging my Home screens. Still want a separate address book app.

mikeinternet
Just wanted to report in from a hacked iPhone upgrade. The process went smooth, I did not need to restore my iPhone first, and it's now up and running without Installer.APP! Overall great update and worth losing the Apps!

I think i am still going to hold off. i will miss my apps too much.

Games, voice recording, aim and more, VS. locate me, web clips, and manually manage content.

this is a tough one.

kellen
Wont work at all for me. Just gives me the message the server can't be contacted.

Great.

kainjow
Download server still can't be contacted for me, but Nate True (http://cre.ations.net/blog) posts a direct download link to the 1.1.3 restore image on Apple's site here (http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/113-iphone-firmware-released-same-as-the-leaked-one). Just finished downloading for me, so I'm in the process of trying the restore...

You should be able to option-click the Update button and manually select the .ipsw file to update if you've already downloaded it.

Direct download link: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-4061.20080115.4Fvn7/iPhone1,1_1.1.3_4A93_Restore.ipsw

Edit: option-clicking Update after manually downloading seems to be working just fine :)

walnuts
anyone notice any more language support? I'm hoping for Dutch...

trip1ex
Jan 15, 2008, 02:31 PM
Looks like a nice update.

stealthboy
Jan 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
I just get an error that the update server could not be contacted.
:(

Leney
Jan 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
You should be able to option-click the Update button and manually select the .ipsw file to update if you've already downloaded it.

Direct download link: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-4061.20080115.4Fvn7/iPhone1,1_1.1.3_4A93_Restore.ipsw

Edit: option-clicking Update after manually downloading seems to be working just fine :)

I don't know how to "option-click." Could you please explain? I've downloaded the file already.

bennifer3000
Jan 15, 2008, 02:42 PM
Great update but I still hunger for the ever evasive Flash support.

Add iChat, Flash, Copy/Paste, Horizontal Keyboard and a Sports widget and the iPhone is perfection. :)

Oh and Playlist-specific CoverFlow.

macidiot
I'd love to download this. Too bad I can't. I can't connect to the server... :(

javaGuru
Last I had heard, there still was no deal in place. Once a deal is in place, it will still take multiple months before a release. This would likely put an actual release in the 4th quarter of 2008, which would fit in my guess that there will be no updated iPhone until late 2008. Just my take on things, we will see though.

I also heard late 2008 for the 3G iPhone.

peytons
Jan 15, 2008, 02:45 PM

That's shift-"check for update" for Windows users.

sergeantmudd
Jan 15, 2008, 02:49 PM
I don't know how to "option-click." Could you please explain? I've downloaded the file already.

Hold the option button down and then click "Check for Update" A prompt will come up and then select the .zip you just downloaded.

Leney
Jan 15, 2008, 02:49 PM
That's shift-"check for update" for Windows users.

Thanks!

zedsdead
Jan 15, 2008, 02:54 PM
I don't understand why Apple chose the iPhones Dock over the iPod Touch's Leopard Style Dock...that is really my only disappointment.

bytethese
Jan 15, 2008, 02:59 PM
I'd love to download this. Too bad I can't. I can't connect to the server... :(

10min of clicking and it finally came up and I am downloading the update!

Alanki30
Jan 15, 2008, 03:19 PM
Just installed 1.1.3. Not surprisingly the Ringtones I installed with iToner do not work. They still show up in the Ringtones list on the phone, but when tapped they don't work. Alas.

kainjow
Jan 15, 2008, 03:24 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the Camera app is smoother and focuses faster?

tb2me
Jan 15, 2008, 03:24 PM
Just installed 1.1.3. Not surprisingly the Ringtones I installed with iToner do not work. They still show up in the Ringtones list on the phone, but when tapped they don't work. Alas.

Why not just install them using Garageband?

Plumbstone
Jan 15, 2008, 03:27 PM

or itunes??

QCassidy352
Jan 15, 2008, 03:28 PM
"Locate Me"

Wow! :eek: I am impressed. It works a lot better than I expectedů :D:D

Same. Works very, very well, at least in the middle of DC. The icon dragging is cool too. I'm pleased.

photomaniac
Jan 15, 2008, 03:30 PM
getting iphone in feb!!! so excited. just waiting for tmobile contract to run out. hate them so much . . .

you do have a good woman!

thegman1234
Jan 15, 2008, 03:33 PM
Do we know if we can still make our own ringtones with 1.1.3?

BTW the update took a little while but it's great.

We can :thumbs up:.

tb2me
Jan 15, 2008, 03:37 PM
or itunes??

Well, it's free to do with Garageband. :) That is, send them from Garageband to iTunes.

tb2me
Jan 15, 2008, 03:38 PM
Downloading the update . . . along with, I suppose, those other 4 million iPhone users.

I'm about 25% through, and I have about 70 minutes left. :eek:

thegman1234
Jan 15, 2008, 03:46 PM
Downloading the update . . . along with, I suppose, those other 4 million iPhone users.

I'm about 25% through, and I have about 70 minutes left. :eek:

Yeah the server is REALLY bogged down. I've been trying to watch an 8 minute HD podcast now for the past half hour.

Keep it going though, this is surely a great update.

Alanki30
Jan 15, 2008, 03:49 PM

These were custom ringtones, not the ones you have to pay for via iTunes.

However, with some playing I got them to work. Just had to change the extensions to .m4r, and iToner works just fine again.

vince chicago
Jan 15, 2008, 03:50 PM
I'm impressed at how accurate the Locate Me triangulation is.

It's located me down to the actual building I'm in. Very cool.

bytethese
Jan 15, 2008, 03:53 PM
Same. Works very, very well, at least in the middle of DC. The icon dragging is cool too. I'm pleased.

Maybe I clicked the message too quickly, but once I get my icons to wiggle and move them where I want, how do I make them stop wiggling? :)

vince chicago
Jan 15, 2008, 03:55 PM
Maybe I clicked the message too quickly, but once I get my icons to wiggle and move them where I want, how do I make them stop wiggling? :)

Hit the home button and you're all set!

tb2me
Jan 15, 2008, 03:59 PM
These were custom ringtones, not the ones you have to pay for via iTunes.

However, with some playing I got them to work. Just had to change the extensions to .m4r, and iToner works just fine again.

I know, you can make (free) custom ringtones in Garageband.

I make all my own ringtones without paying a penny (other than what I paid for the original music) opening the song in Garageband, editing it how I want, then clicking "Send ringtone to iTunes" in the share menu. Totally free, and I don't have to worry about them suddenly not working (I think).

bytethese
Jan 15, 2008, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytethese
Maybe I clicked the message too quickly, but once I get my icons to wiggle and move them where I want, how do I make them stop wiggling?

Hit the home button and you're all set!

Doh! The simplicity of Apple still astounds me sometimes! ;)

illitrate23
Jan 15, 2008, 04:00 PM
Why not just install them using Garageband?also iToner let you put entire songs on - isn't the garageband and itunes methods limiting you to just 30 seconds?

deppeler
Jan 15, 2008, 04:04 PM
also iToner let you put entire songs on - isn't the garageband and itunes methods limiting you to just 30 seconds?

For Windows users Audacity is good :)

UMHurricanes34
Jan 15, 2008, 04:07 PM
My SMS messages now appear in the wrong order. I'll receive a message and then I'll reply. My reply will be displayed above the message I received prior to responding. Any help?

tb2me
Jan 15, 2008, 04:07 PM
also iToner let you put entire songs on - isn't the garageband and itunes methods limiting you to just 30 seconds?

Yeah, but why would you have a ringtone longer than 30 seconds (actually, the limit is 40)? Your phone doesn't ring that long.

thefourthpope
Jan 15, 2008, 04:25 PM
I just want a to do list. The features are wonderful, but I kinds wish they'd plug holes in the existing apps.

Ok, that is what locaton and webclips additions do. Still. iCal needs help I think

archonium
Jan 15, 2008, 04:25 PM
I updated iTunes first and then check for updates and it appeared and downloaded immediately.

Love the whole accuracy of Maps :D

SolRayz
Jan 15, 2008, 04:38 PM
...same here. :confused:

lshaner
Jan 15, 2008, 04:39 PM
Arrrrgggh!!

After the upgrade, my iPhone dropped from 185.6 MB free to just 10.8 MB free!
The space used by other is now 220 MB. And yes I was already fully sync'd prior to the upgrade.

There is WAY WAY too much bloat creeping in to an already cramped 8 GB device. :-(

I want a way to delete un-needed languages at a minimum. :-(

ImNoSuperMan
Jan 15, 2008, 04:44 PM
hey guys. Does any one have any idea if this update has what the hackers needed to unlock 1.1.2 OTB iphones. IIRC they were looking for the new baseband. Did apple upgrade the baseband with this update?

Santa Rosa
Jan 15, 2008, 04:46 PM
I don't understand why Apple chose the iPhones Dock over the iPod Touch's Leopard Style Dock...that is really my only disappointment.

Right with you with that one, it just doesn't look as good.

Think I'm going to wait it out until maybe tomorrow or the next day until the servers calm down a bit and see how everyone else is getting on!! :cool:

Ultimatetone
Jan 15, 2008, 04:50 PM
Ho Hum...

About the iPhone 3G version (http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/29/atandt-ceo-outs-3g-iphone-youll-have-it-next-year/)...

What was the approx. ETA?

Ultimatetone

Holyghost
Jan 15, 2008, 04:53 PM
Funny you should mention that. When I upgraded to iPhone OS 1.1.3, using iTunes 7.5, I actually got back ~3mb. After the iPhone OS update, I installed iTunes 7.6 and found that after syncing, an additional 150+ mb of stuff (categorized as "other") was loaded on the iPhone. I suspect it may have something to do with the iTunes Movie Rental software?

Arrrrgggh!!

After the upgrade, my iPhone dropped from 185.6 MB free to just 10.8 MB free!
The space used by other is now 220 MB. And yes I was already fully sync'd prior to the upgrade.

There is WAY WAY too much bloat creeping in to an already cramped 8 GB device. :-(

I want a way to delete un-needed languages at a minimum. :-(

archonium
Jan 15, 2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah I noticed that too.

I agree I think it has something to do with the whole iTunes rental, and possibly the titles and caption features for movies.

wizard
Jan 15, 2008, 05:08 PM

The whole point of iPhone is that it is an iPod with a CELL PHONE. Nothing less nothing more.

Personally though I take the view that both the iPhone and the iPod Touch are tablet computers that share a common software platform but differ in hardware. Looked at that way the Touch tablet family is not different than the array of products in the Mini or iMac line ups. You buy the hardware that fits your needs.

Dave

lshaner
Jan 15, 2008, 05:11 PM
Funny you should mention that. When I upgraded to iPhone OS 1.1.3, using iTunes 7.5, I actually got back ~3mb. After the iPhone OS update, I installed iTunes 7.6 and found that after syncing, an additional 150+ mb of stuff (categorized as "other") was loaded on the iPhone. I suspect it may have something to do with the iTunes Movie Rental software?

Fine... Let me delete that crap as well. :-(

That content, and much of the existing iPhone application content should be treated as any other "optional" software, once the SDK is real and active. We should be able to "manage" the content...opt in / out of things we don't use. Just as we will be able pick choose 3rd party to add/remove.

I mean if I want to delete software from my Mac that I don't use, that's my choice. Should be same with iPhone.

If the device had a REASONABLE amount of capacity in the first place, then I wouldn't be writing this note. :-(

I was really looking forward to an announcement for a 16 GB iPhone. :-(

Regards,
\Leon

Schmoe0013
Jan 15, 2008, 05:13 PM
google maps, awesome!

Great update!

Project
Jan 15, 2008, 05:19 PM
Hmm. Is it just me or is typing with two thumbs WAY easier?

ezrabud
Jan 15, 2008, 05:30 PM
I was able to download and install the update after a few hours of waiting. A few observations;

-Driving direction functionality no longer works when looking up addresses from the address book
-Triangulation has worked flawlessly thus far
-Still no copy & paste
-Rearranging icons is a nice feature, but mostly worthless at this point
-Webclips works as advertised
-Phone numbers listed as notes in either the calendar or notes application still do not link to make a phone call.
-Reset my gmail IMAP account. I must now go back through all the messages again to mark as read.
-The phone is now incorrectly syncing contacts with Outlook on Windows XP. I am not sure why and iTunes lacks the control to fix the problem
-Still fails to sync email via Outlook on Windows XP
-Still unable to sync bookmarks with anything other than Internet Explorer on the PC (how about Firefox Apple?)

Overall, I find this update extremely buggy and very lacking. The couple of new features are impressive but several key usability enhancements are still curiously absent in this update.

thegman1234
Jan 15, 2008, 05:36 PM
-Still unable to sync bookmarks with anything other than Internet Explorer on the PC (how about Firefox Apple?)...

Works with Safari.

wizard
Jan 15, 2008, 05:36 PM

What do you mean no updates? This is a pretty major update and the previous weren't nothing to sneeze at.

Just one bit of this update, google mapping, looks like a major rewrite of the app. Frankly I don't get the negativity. The download is like 160 some Megabytes of code, and that isn't an update.

Dave

Project
Jan 15, 2008, 05:41 PM
What do you mean no updates? This is a pretty major update and the previous weren't nothing to sneeze at.

Just one bit of this update, google mapping, looks like a major rewrite of the app. Frankly I don't get the negativity. The download is like 160 some Megabytes of code, and that isn't an update.

Dave

No point in bothering arguing on this forum man...

They moaned about the iPod when it was released...
They moaned about the iPhone when it was released...
They moaned when Apple TV didn't do rentals...
They moaned when Apple TV does do rentals...
They moaned when Apple didn't have a super thin laptop...
They moaned when Apple did have a super thin laptop...

I could go on and on.

olegandbuster25
Jan 15, 2008, 05:46 PM
wat about the custom ringtones?

naquada
Jan 15, 2008, 05:48 PM
The 'Locate Me' feature is working great for me in the UK.

hmm odd.. mine cant locate me... certainly not in the areas around Reading.. which has a pretty high cell density... any ideas?????

locate me certainly isnt working for me...

MarkW19
Jan 15, 2008, 05:52 PM
Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but after the update the dock background has now changed slightly (the dots don't go all the way to the left/right edges).

Island Dog
Jan 15, 2008, 06:17 PM
I wonder how long it is before we start getting charged for these updates.

Spades
Jan 15, 2008, 06:27 PM
A few corrections:

They moaned when iTunes didn't do rentals...
They moaned when iTunes didn't do HD rentals for no reason...
They moaned when Apple didn't have an ultra-portable laptop...
They moaned when Apple's idea of an ultra-portable laptop turned out to not be ultra-portable...

sibruk
Jan 15, 2008, 06:29 PM
hmm odd.. mine cant locate me... certainly not in the areas around Reading.. which has a pretty high cell density... any ideas?????

locate me certainly isnt working for me...

Just down the road in Basingstoke isn't much better. It's working, but the whole town has a big circle around it!! Well duh, I knew I was in Basingstoke. Certainly not usable. :(

illitrate23
Jan 15, 2008, 06:30 PM
have just found out how to make it work thanks to the guys on the ambrosia forum.
it will only work on audio files in .m4a format - so if you're ringtones before were .mp3s you'll need to convert them i think

anyway, find the .m4a files in the finder, Get Info on them, change the extension to .m4r (doesn't work if you do it in a finder window apparently, had to be the Get Info screen)
then drag them onto iToner and sync from there.
s'worked fine on mine so far

only thing i really miss now from my hacked version of the phone is having wallpaper behind the home screen icons

gugy
Jan 15, 2008, 06:55 PM
Why no 16gig version for the iPhone?

How difficult is that? That's the only reason for me not buying an iPhone Today. 8 gig won't cut for me unfortunately.

Man, tired of waiting.:mad:

Holyghost
Jan 15, 2008, 06:56 PM
I am not sure we will get charged anytime soon. See:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/25/iphone.recurring.revenue/
(http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/25/iphone.recurring.revenue/)

Loge
Jan 15, 2008, 07:05 PM
Also, it seems Apple has expanded the space available for sms texts. I had been getting that annoying message about needing to delete texts - but now it's gone.

Any idea how many it can store? I don't have an iPhone, but this has annoyed me with other phones. I mean each message can only need a few bytes, so why is there an artificial limit when you have potentially 8GB available?

diamond.g
Jan 15, 2008, 07:18 PM
Any idea how many it can store? I don't have an iPhone, but this has annoyed me with other phones. I mean each message can only need a few bytes, so why is there an artificial limit when you have potentially 8GB available?

It doesn't store the messages in the 8GB of space. I think it is stored in the 128MB RAM that the phone has. But you are right the database size is quite small.

sixth
Jan 15, 2008, 07:30 PM

We better not start getting charged for updates.

Loge
Jan 15, 2008, 07:32 PM
It doesn't store the messages in the 8GB of space. I think it is stored in the 128MB RAM that the phone has. But you are right the database size is quite small.

Don't really see why it can't shove them onto the disk when you haven't accessed them for a while. Not really a big deal though.

megfilmworks
Jan 15, 2008, 08:03 PM
the guy in the video said something about it now displaying lyrics... Does it download them or does he mean it'll display 'em if you stored them in iTunes
If you have lyrics saved in your songs on itTunes then they will sync to the iPhone and when the song is playing tap the album cover to display the lyrics and tap to turn off.
I use a widget called Sing that iTune which downloads and saves lyrics in the background when you play songs on iTunes.

PellMellow12
Jan 15, 2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah, but why would you have a ringtone longer than 30 seconds (actually, the limit is 40)? Your phone doesn't ring that long.

One good reason to have a long ringtone- to use it as an alarm. Set a whole song to wake you up and you can wake in comfort. :)

-Pell

shadowfax
Jan 15, 2008, 09:29 PM
We better not start getting charged for updates.

You do get charged for updates. Anyone remember how much of our monthly Cell Phone Bill goes to Apple? It'll make that $20 upgrade for iPod Touch users look like CHUMP CHANGE. On the other hand, we're getting a good deal in the US because our cell bills are pretty competitive no matter whom the bill is going to.

Leney
Jan 15, 2008, 09:53 PM

Dave

The updates weren't criticized. The comment was directed to the fact that there has been no new hardware change although it's been speculated about since the iphone was released.

McGiord
Jan 15, 2008, 09:55 PM
Updates are meant to be free.

That was part of the marketing they did when they showcased the iPhone.
3rd party apps may not be free, most will be shareware, and current available ones are free. I'm ok to pay for a good app that satisfy a need.

Charging the Touch owners $20 to make their Touchs closer to the iPhone is a test they are doing, and it's not fair specially if the new Touchs will have all the new apps.

Why :apple: didn't charge :apple:TV owners? Because they know they will loose more than what they'll gain.

I am against paying for updates.

Upgrades are a different thing.

If you pay more than what you should, you will make a case for :apple: to start charging for anything. I feel sorry for the Tocuh owners.
________
Mini (BMW) (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/Mini_(BMW))

foneschlomo
Jan 15, 2008, 10:00 PM
You do get charged for updates. Anyone remember how much of our monthly Cell Phone Bill goes to Apple? It'll make that $20 upgrade for iPod Touch users look like CHUMP CHANGE. On the other hand, we're getting a good deal in the US because our cell bills are pretty competitive no matter whom the bill is going to.

Yeah, if you remember one of the apple financial calls, they went over this. :apple:TV and iPhone revenue is booked in increments over a 2-year span because due to some bizarre accounting rule they can be considered out of compliance if they offer free updates. Not sure how MacOS updates can be free, but I remember it started with Airport.

pedroistheman
Jan 15, 2008, 10:28 PM
oh man, do I regret updating or what. This sucks. The new map feature keeps giving me about a 3 mile radius...a cool feature but not worth losing my pages and pages of apps. And the ability to move your bookmarks as icons on the home screen just reminds me of all the great apps I once had. This update is nothing more than a prep for February when the sdk is released. So if u have a hacked iPhone, I advise u NOT to update. Its a mistake. Just wait for the real apps to come out.

In conclusion, this app is nothing more than the common "customize" app. Great if u have some real apps to rearrange, but pointless when u are simply cycling through pages of web links.

mmcneil
Jan 15, 2008, 10:30 PM
Is the Traffic feature new or have I just not been exploring my iPhone enough?:cool:

cybereal
Jan 15, 2008, 10:30 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the Camera app is smoother and focuses faster?

Smoother? I don't notice that. And focusing faster? That would be amazing since there is no focusing in the iPhone!

Maybe you're noticing a difference in how it adjusts the sensors for lighting. I think they adjusted the algorithm for light adjustments, it seems to do a better job in my apartment which is mostly low, spotlighted environments which is just a mess for most simpler cameras.

Cleverboy
Jan 15, 2008, 10:40 PM
The story should be updated to say that the "release date" was "LATE FEBRUARY". That's the only "new" news, and the article doesn't comment on it. Previously, it was "February". Now its "Late February". To be expected (like the iPhone release date), but there was always the possibility of running ahead of schedule.

~ CB

jbommelje
Jan 15, 2008, 10:52 PM
okay so i finally got through to the server and downloaded the new update. i do not have a hacked iphone so i expected it to go just fine. when it finished downloading, i started to install it, then the phone shut off and on about 5 times, then finally turned back on but it has a picture of the cable plugging into the iTunes logo. then i get a message saying "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore the iPhone before it can be used with iTunes" after saying "**** **** ****" many times because this shouldnt happen, i try to restore. then i get a message saying something along the lines of "This device can not be detected" so it just sits there. i would be pissed if i had to restore it and lose all of my **** for no reason, but at least i have a working phone. anyone have any ideas?

nicoboss
Jan 15, 2008, 10:52 PM
Smoother? I don't notice that. And focusing faster? That would be amazing since there is no focusing in the iPhone!

Maybe you're noticing a difference in how it adjusts the sensors for lighting. I think they adjusted the algorithm for light adjustments, it seems to do a better job in my apartment which is mostly low, spotlighted environments which is just a mess for most simpler cameras.

I agree - takes way better pictures and the preview is not as "jaggy" - did an amazing job at taking inside pictures with a great auto-white balance.
It also loads and shows the pictures faster.

Finally, they seem to have improved the scrolling thing a bit - it feels a lot "smoother" (just check switching between locations in the weather section - it is wayyy better).

I do not believe this update should be overlooked - not only do they add features to the phone, but they do a lot of fizxing in the background they do not necesarly communicate – with each update the overall stability, performance, security of your phone is improved (thank god because this little machine is far from being perfect...).

Overlooking an iphone update is like overlooking OSX system updates/security patches.

penguy
Jan 15, 2008, 11:14 PM
I haven't figured out how to access the lyrics in this update...has anyone else?

thefourthpope
Jan 15, 2008, 11:35 PM
I agree with you on the cut and paste and phone numbers, but everything else has worked flawlessly for me. Driving directions from cntacts still work, and are much improved thanks to the "current location" feature, and all my syncing (though I only use Mac software) had been smooth. And I do appreciate the webclips, because I finally have a dictionary--or at least and easy way to reach dictionary.com.

I was able to download and install the update after a few hours of waiting. A few observations;

-Driving direction functionality no longer works when looking up addresses from the address book
-Triangulation has worked flawlessly thus far
-Still no copy & paste
-Rearranging icons is a nice feature, but mostly worthless at this point
-Webclips works as advertised
-Phone numbers listed as notes in either the calendar or notes application still do not link to make a phone call.
-Reset my gmail IMAP account. I must now go back through all the messages again to mark as read.
-The phone is now incorrectly syncing contacts with Outlook on Windows XP. I am not sure why and iTunes lacks the control to fix the problem
-Still fails to sync email via Outlook on Windows XP
-Still unable to sync bookmarks with anything other than Internet Explorer on the PC (how about Firefox Apple?)

Overall, I find this update extremely buggy and very lacking. The couple of new features are impressive but several key usability enhancements are still curiously absent in this update.

thefourthpope
Jan 15, 2008, 11:38 PM
Is the Traffic feature new or have I just not been exploring my iPhone enough?:cool:

it's been there the whole time. one of their ads mentioned it. ;)

megfilmworks
Jan 16, 2008, 12:14 AM
I haven't figured out how to access the lyrics in this update...has anyone else?See post #149

Cleverboy
Jan 16, 2008, 12:27 AM
I feel sorry for the Tocuh owners.Why? Because they're getting 5 new apps for $20? :confused: Both the iPhone AND the Apple TV were not everything Apple wanted them to be when they were released. They said as much, and promised new features through FREE software updates. iPhone owners already pay Apple a portion of their monthly cellphone bill to compensate them for software updates. The Apple TV was the other product Apple said in their quarterly conference call, that would have its profits be calculated over a 2 year period, so that they can properly account for substantive features/value additions over time. Now... if that's not enough, in order to retrofit these apps to the iPod Touch, Apple had to do a number of things other than just testing them. For the Google MAPS feature, they made sure they scored a licensing deal with Skyhook to use their WiFi node triangulation, so Touch owners needn't lose out for not having access to cell towers. Comped in with the cost of the device, Apple has provide technical support and catch possible security breeches/exploits. Touch owners were never promised anything more than what they got (otherwise, why buy it?) It's really not that much money. You'll never pay as much as iPhone owners do. Meanwhile, I'm happy for Apple TV owners. I'm tempted to jump on eBay myself, and buy some wireless AppleTV goodness. :p

oh man, do I regret updating or what.If you hacked your iPhone, WHY DON'T YOU JUST WAIT? As someone who hacked my iPhone, and restored it long ago, its kind of weird to keep watching the waves of people who "upgrade" THE DAY of the release and then complain that it wasn't worthwhile to them. That's why I don't visit Gizmodo anymore. They'll give you the skinny, nice and loud. No need to complain that you hacked your phone, and then lost your hacks, and then couldn't downgrade to get them back. :confused:

I agree with you on the cut and paste and phone numbers, but everything else has worked flawlessly for me.Same here, but I don't agree on the cut and paste either. It's on my wishlist too, but I think its ridiculous to look for it like it was promised, and when you can't find it, list it as a disappointment. I'm in the camp where I bought the phone forwhat it DOES (not what I'm expecting it to do). I send in my requests to Apple, I report my bugs, and in the meantime, I'm pretty happy (if I'm not crashing)... cause the phone is doing everything I expect it to. When new features come, I'm excited, and I'm even happier if they turn out to be well implemented. I just got back from extensively testing the location feature. It's AMAZING! Getting directions, and then "updating" your position on the blue-line is a thrill. I'd previously used "Navizon", and was even dutifully willing to pay them. Instead, Apple rolls the feature in as part of my subscription/purchase. Excellent. The homepage stuff isn't too shabby either. Do I want cut & paste? Sure DO (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=330711). Until then, I'm not going to download each iPhone update and then turn up my nose and say "where's cut and paste"? It's pointlessly unconstructive.

~ CB

pedroistheman
Jan 16, 2008, 12:32 AM
okay, right now the most accurate "current location" is within a 20 mile radius. Im not exaggerating! Now i don't live in a huge city or anything but I would think apple could do a little better. I still like the looks of that external gPS device for a real reading that is consistent.

Cleverboy
Jan 16, 2008, 12:38 AM
okay, right now the most accurate "current location" is within a 20 mile radius. Im not exaggerating! Now i don't live in a huge city or anything but I would think apple could do a little better. I still like the looks of that external gPS device for a real reading that is consistent.Sometimes trying it twice in the same location helps. I've actually gotten it to point to the exact street I'm on. It's not Apple though. It's Google... and NO, I don't think they can do better. The methodology is only ever going to be a triangulated approximation. I don't see myself bothering with parts foundary at this point unless it can integrate directly with this system and retrieve coordinates very quickly (at least twice as fast as this method).

~ CB

bretm
Jan 16, 2008, 12:48 AM
ERRR I don't get it. Why are you managing your mail on your phone? That's sorta what the computer is for, you know? It's the whole point of sync.

1: i now have 2500 messages in my inbox. what the hell! i dont want to delete each of those individually. what do i do?

2: in my mail accounts on the phone, i now have like sub headings it says gmail, all mail etc... what is that, how do i get rid of it?

all in all, some good features, i just dont want to spend 4 hours deleting 2500 messages

TitoC
Jan 16, 2008, 12:52 AM
Love reading the different reactions/comments/notes on the latest 1.1.3 iPhone update. Personally, I'm going to try to wait it out as long as I can before updating (it looks very tempting though). But still loving way too many of my 3rd-party rights right now to give them up:

(1) Voice Notes for recording on the iPhone
(2) VNC Connection between my iPhone and my desktop computer (VNSea App)
(3) The Drag and Drop features between my iPhone and my desktop computer (DropCopy)
(4) Terminal command line app
(5) Viewing all my stored PDFs with PDFViewer
(6) Dashbuster App for adding, editing, viewing my Blockbuster movie rental selections, Queues, etc.
(7) Finder App for moving, deleting, modifying, making alias' of ANY of my files, right from the iPhone
(8) Search App for . . . . well, searching on my iPhone
(9) CameraPro for getting a whole lot of extra functionality to the Camera App (Digital Zoom, Burst feature rapid photo shots, B/W or color feature, etc.
(10) Listen App. Just simply put your iPhone up to any stereo speaker and find out the artist, song name, album, etc.
(11) Video Apps (beta still, but pretty cool nonetheless) like Drunknbass and Showtime
(12) Customize App to . . . . well, customize a lot of my iPhone settings
(13) Summerboard to really tweak out my iPhone
(14) Being able to SSH directly to my iPhone
(15) Apollo to IM with all of my friends and co-workers
(16) Converter App to convert just about anything (just like the Apple Converter widget)
(17) Sketches (Etch-a-Sketch)
(18) Games, games and more games . . . such as FiveDice (Yahtzee), Blackjack, Chess, BallFight, BlockPuzzle, the many, many iPhysics games (GREAT games), Dominoes, Othello, Backgammon, Towers of Hanoi, ContraSense, etc.

. . . the list goes on.
Hopefully this version can be Jailbreaked so I can have all of these Apps PLUS all the new cool features in the latest update. It looks like it might be a tough cookie to break. We'll see.

TitoC
Jan 16, 2008, 01:00 AM

First off, that usually is not supposed to happen. You might get that if you did a "Restore" and didn't delete you email messages off of your server, but usually not in a simple Update.

Having said that, what I usually do is to delete all of my emails from my server before Updating or doing a Restore. I use the Apple Mail program and there is a preference setting to delete all of your emails from the server at certain intervals (every day, week, month, etc.) as well as a button right next to that that will say "Remove Now." Most email programs have this.

Thought this might help. Good luck.

penguy
Jan 16, 2008, 01:22 AM
See post #149

thank you. I missed that one. Nice little extra.

I'm another that is pleased by the continuing improvements. The SDK is what most of us are waiting for. But any improvements are welcome.

thegman1234
Jan 16, 2008, 03:41 AM
okay so i finally got through to the server and downloaded the new update. i do not have a hacked iphone so i expected it to go just fine. when it finished downloading, i started to install it, then the phone shut off and on about 5 times, then finally turned back on but it has a picture of the cable plugging into the iTunes logo. then i get a message saying "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore the iPhone before it can be used with iTunes" after saying "**** **** ****" many times because this shouldnt happen, i try to restore. then i get a message saying something along the lines of "This device can not be detected" so it just sits there. i would be pissed if i had to restore it and lose all of my **** for no reason, but at least i have a working phone. anyone have any ideas?

iTunes makes a backup of your phone, plus if you sync your contacts, they'll be in Address Book on your computer. You should be fine, unless of course iTunes can't figure out that the backup it has goes to that phone. Though I'm not sure if that would happen, and if it did what you could do about it. But nevertheless you should be fine as long as you sync your contacts (and let them copy into Address Book) and you keep your music in the iTunes music folder.

wizard
Jan 16, 2008, 03:53 AM
Why no 16gig version for the iPhone?

I'm with you on this! I showed up at the Apple store when the keynote was like half way through expecting to see either new iPhones or a new Touch. Got neither. A big disappointment considering that MWSF is very much a consumer oriented show.

Personally I'm hoping that Apple will debut upgraded hardware for both devices at the time the SDK is delivered.

How difficult is that? That's the only reason for me not buying an iPhone Today. 8 gig won't cut for me unfortunately.

Exactly. For me there is nothing else wrong with the iPhone except for its limited storage.

Man, tired of waiting.:mad:

Well we can only hope that people start to wise up and put off purchasing new iPhones. If Apples sales dropped from 20000 a day to 200 that would give them a little incentive to keep product current. In a nut shel it is the only recourse we have as consumers, that is make the company hurt in the pocket book.

Dave

wizard
Jan 16, 2008, 04:10 AM
The updates weren't criticized. The comment was directed to the fact that there has been no new hardware change although it's been speculated about since the iphone was released.

Ok I missed that and frankly am in 100% agreement. In fact I was in the Apple store when the keynote was going on specifically to see what was going to happen with iPhone and Touch hardware. If nothing else I need more Flash than iPhone offers up.

So yeah it is a huge problem. The only way I know of to deal with this is to convince people to stop buying until Apple gets the required hardware upgrades in place.

Dave

alFR
Jan 16, 2008, 04:14 AM
I showed up at the Apple store when the keynote was like half way through expecting to see either new iPhones or a new Touch. Got neither. A big disappointment considering that MWSF is very much a consumer oriented show.

lmao considering that last year everyone was like "Dude, it's MACworld. where's the mac stuff?".

fup4000
Jan 16, 2008, 06:41 AM
How do u do it in Garageband?:rolleyes:

vibelife
Jan 16, 2008, 06:47 AM
I am just REALLY disappointed that they did not announce Exchange connectivity for enterprise users. Most companies so not allow IMAP for security reasons and I think Apple could sell millions more if they offered a connector.

jbommelje
Jan 16, 2008, 07:14 AM
iTunes makes a backup of your phone, plus if you sync your contacts, they'll be in Address Book on your computer. You should be fine, unless of course iTunes can't figure out that the backup it has goes to that phone. Though I'm not sure if that would happen, and if it did what you could do about it. But nevertheless you should be fine as long as you sync your contacts (and let them copy into Address Book) and you keep your music in the iTunes music folder.

alright well i fixed the issue. i don't know why, but it wouldn't connect to my desktop so i thought maybe it would work if i just connected it to a different computer and hooked it up to my laptop. it recognized it and threw another error (error-20 instead of error-6) so i disconnected and reconnected and it finally worked. then it restored and installed the new update, but then gave me the "set up your iphone" stuff. i then reconnected it to my desktop and it had all of my stuff backed up, thank god. even had my ringtones that i made through itunes.

jbommelje
Jan 16, 2008, 07:20 AM
How do u do it in Garageband?:rolleyes:

you could even do it right in itunes.

- pick any song you want to make a ringtone (doesn't have to be one bought with itunes)
- click and go to "Get Info"
- click on the "Options" tab at the top
- decide which part you want of the song and make that the "Start Time" and "Finish Time" (i used just 30 second clips)
- click "Ok"
- click on "Convert Selection to AAC"
- go into your iTunes music folder, it will be in there as "song.m4a"
- change that to "song.m4r"
- drag that into the "Ringtone" section in iTunes
- sync the phone and it should show up on your phone under custom ringtones.

i'm sure there are other ways and it may look long, but it is the easiest that i have found yet. it takes under a minute to do each song.

hope that helps

Digitalclips
Jan 16, 2008, 07:39 AM
I just updated my iPhone to 1.1.3 and it is asking me to Activate the phone "Welcome to your new iPhone".. its been on this screen for 15 mins.. im on the phone with Apple, he's calling AT&T.. i cant use my iPhone now this is great.

And you are sending this from where ... the Verizon store where you work? ;)

Just kidding, I believe you. Our iPhones all updated smoothly.

ibwb
Jan 16, 2008, 07:56 AM
oh man, do I regret updating or what. This sucks. The new map feature keeps giving me about a 3 mile radius...a cool feature but not worth losing my pages and pages of apps. And the ability to move your bookmarks as icons on the home screen just reminds me of all the great apps I once had. This update is nothing more than a prep for February when the sdk is released. So if u have a hacked iPhone, I advise u NOT to update. Its a mistake. Just wait for the real apps to come out.

In conclusion, this app is nothing more than the common "customize" app. Great if u have some real apps to rearrange, but pointless when u are simply cycling through pages of web links.

To me, the biggest news in this update is the fixes (finally!) to Safari. I can now load big pages (like a photoshop thread on Fark) without crashing, for the first time. In fact, Safari seems actually stable now. Not to mention that obnoxious problem with redirect links is now fixed.

MarkW19
Jan 16, 2008, 08:05 AM
After the update, pop-up texts are now left-justified, not centered!! Grr...

Also "close" and "reply" rather than "ignore" and "view". And closing finally means that it marks the text as read.

vrillusions
Jan 16, 2008, 09:01 AM
Hopefully this version can be Jailbreaked so I can have all of these Apps PLUS all the new cool features in the latest update. It looks like it might be a tough cookie to break. We'll see.

I first said it will take 2 weeks to get this jailbreaked, but now that I think about it that's generous. The way I see the update going now is going back to 1.1.1 and jailbreakme.com, then installer.app will have an updated OktoPrep for 1.1.3, update to that, repatch, and done. Although I don't actually work on it and so have no clue about the complexities of all this, but at first glance it appears like it will be a quick fix to get it working.

bigmc6000
Jan 16, 2008, 10:34 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but if you have GMail on your phone you now have access to all your e-mails inside your GMail. I find it quite useful if you're searching for an old e-mail while on the go - something you'd have to go online for otherwise. Now to see if yahoo will do it as well!

lazyrighteye
Jan 16, 2008, 12:05 PM
Good keynote but expectable. No huge surprises.

I'm much more interested in the  TV now, but probably am going to hold off until Take 3.
That being said I really liked the subtitles + audio options though for iPhone. That's nice.

Agreed.
:apple:TV has finally hit a point where it is starting to make sense.
Was also nice to see so many studios on board.
I'm interested to see how the rentals pan out.

lazyrighteye
Jan 16, 2008, 12:09 PM
why o WHY can i not have DISK MODE!!!!! drag and drop thats all i WANT!!!

STRONGLY agreed!
To me, the single, most glaring hole in the iPhone experience.
Still requires I have a jump drive on me for simple file transfers to & from work to my home Mac. Remarkable we still don't have Disk Mode. Grrr.

If recent development should true, maybe they are readying a device that you connect to the iPhone that allows Disk Mode? Time Capsule Air? :mad: :p

lazyrighteye
Jan 16, 2008, 12:15 PM
does it have copy and paste?

Can the iPhone do voice recording with 1.1.3?

No & no.

lazyrighteye
Jan 16, 2008, 12:24 PM
the webclip thing is awesome......
it makes the webapps feel a bit more "native"
and having access to macrumors and online banking right from the home screen is great......overall great update.....
I feel like I have an almost new phone....now all I want is video :D

Huh. I forgot to play with Webclips...
Wow.
Handy!

DiamondMac
Jan 16, 2008, 12:30 PM
Just got the new update and must admit that I laughed at the new Google Maps thing that shows where you are at

Very cool

lazyrighteye
Jan 16, 2008, 12:34 PM
i just dont want to spend 4 hours deleting 2500 messages

I think that would be closer to 4 days. :p

ncsmith4
Jan 16, 2008, 01:30 PM

Also "close" and "reply" rather than "ignore" and "view". And closing finally means that it marks the text as read.

Is anyone else actually NOT happy with this change? Sometimes I would "Ignore" a text to be able to go back to it later. Now I "Close" and it marks it as read... even though I might not have READ it.

EDIT: Just sent this in to apple.com/feedback

"I just updated to software version 1.1.3 and I am noticing that the options when I get a text are now "Close" and "Reply". This is fine... but... "Close" should not mark the text message as if I had read it.

What if I am in the middle of something and I hit "Close" on a text? There is no marker reminding me that I have a text message I need to read. I feel like this is a serious oversight...

There should at least be an option to change that."

lazyrighteye
Jan 16, 2008, 02:50 PM

We'll see storage bumps in the next 2 months in an attempt to 1) garner more revenue and 2) tide the market over until 3G hits late summer/fall.

megfilmworks
Jan 16, 2008, 09:28 PM

In mine only my replys are left justified and the other party's text is right justified. I like it.

MarkW19
Jan 16, 2008, 09:33 PM
In mine only my replys are left justified and the other party's text is right justified. I like it.

Really? Both my replies AND the other party's are left justified in the SMS app. But, it seems the SMS pop-ups are now left justified when they're over 2 lines long, which doesn't look as good as centred IMO (although more consistent with the SMS app itself).

MarkW19
Jan 16, 2008, 09:38 PM
Is anyone else actually NOT happy with this change? Sometimes I would "Ignore" a text to be able to go back to it later. Now I "Close" and it marks it as read... even though I might not have READ it.

EDIT: Just sent this in to apple.com/feedback

"I just updated to software version 1.1.3 and I am noticing that the options when I get a text are now "Close" and "Reply". This is fine... but... "Close" should not mark the text message as if I had read it.

What if I am in the middle of something and I hit "Close" on a text? There is no marker reminding me that I have a text message I need to read. I feel like this is a serious oversight...

There should at least be an option to change that."

I know what you're saying, it would be good to have either option.

I think the reason for the change is that the full SMS (or at least many lines of it) now display as a popup, as opposed to a 3-line preview (I think - can anyone confirm this?) before.

EDIT: Just tested it. The max preview is 5 lines; texts with 1-4 lines centre, while text popups with 5 lines or more are left justified (every line). Curious!

blueflame
Jan 16, 2008, 11:05 PM
what happens is i use my gmail as a storage of everything. i dont delete anything off it ever. i delete it off my inbox on my computer, and whatever is in my phone gets managed. usually far less than what is in my inbox on the computer.

i archived all my mail in gmail. so its no longer in my inbox on the phone, but now i have all these weird subfolders under my inbox and whatnot on the iphone. it says gmail mail, but it really looks like a duplicate or something

any help anyone?

First off, that usually is not supposed to happen. You might get that if you did a "Restore" and didn't delete you email messages off of your server, but usually not in a simple Update.

Having said that, what I usually do is to delete all of my emails from my server before Updating or doing a Restore. I use the Apple Mail program and there is a preference setting to delete all of your emails from the server at certain intervals (every day, week, month, etc.) as well as a button right next to that that will say "Remove Now." Most email programs have this.

Thought this might help. Good luck.

docepares
Jan 18, 2008, 02:18 AM

Excuse me for being uninformed, but what is the "iPhone SDK Release"? I don't know what SDK is.

The Buyer's Guide says to wait on buying an iPhone for now. When will it be time to pull the trigger?

Someone suggested to me that the next generation iPhone is only weeks away, but I see that you predict Q4.

what's a guy to believe? :confused:

thank you!!

Project
Jan 18, 2008, 03:45 AM
I just want the ability to disable the SMS alert. That thing is dangerous.

Manic Mouse
Jan 18, 2008, 04:13 AM
So, now that the MacBook Air uses a 1.8" HDD, when are we going to see a HDD based iPhone? All the arguments about 4,200rpm not being fast enough for a "real" OS are now moot.

I would love an 80Gb iPhone that is the size of my current 80Gb 5.5 Gen. And that would easily be possible, technically. Are Apple afraid of eating away at iPod sales? Because they make way more money off the iPhone...

Project
Jan 18, 2008, 04:21 AM
So, now that the MacBook Air uses a 1.8" HDD, when are we going to see a HDD based iPhone? All the arguments about 4,200rpm not being fast enough for a "real" OS are now moot.

I would love an 80Gb iPhone that is the size of my current 80Gb 5.5 Gen. And that would easily be possible, technically. Are Apple afraid of eating away at iPod sales? Because they make way more money off the iPhone...

When was the argument about the drive being too slow? Surely its the size that stops them from using it. The iPhone would be pretty thick when you factor in the GSM radio, sensors, wifi/bluetooth etc Much thicker than a 5.5 gen iPod. And I don't really think thats acceptable to the masses for a phone.

Manic Mouse
Jan 18, 2008, 04:32 AM
When was the argument about the drive being too slow? Surely its the size that stops them from using it. The iPhone would be pretty thick when you factor in the GSM radio, sensors, wifi/bluetooth etc Much thicker than a 5.5 gen iPod.

Some people have said in the past that the iPhone OS requires flash memory because a 4,200rpm HDD is too slow.

I'm honestly not sure how thick the thing would be, but the current iPhone is significantly thinner than my 5.5Gb 80Gb iPod so there's room for growth in my eyes.

diamond.g
Jan 18, 2008, 11:30 AM
what happens is i use my gmail as a storage of everything. i dont delete anything off it ever. i delete it off my inbox on my computer, and whatever is in my phone gets managed. usually far less than what is in my inbox on the computer.

i archived all my mail in gmail. so its no longer in my inbox on the phone, but now i have all these weird subfolders under my inbox and whatnot on the iphone. it says gmail mail, but it really looks like a duplicate or something

any help anyone?

What you are seeing is normal, the iPhone converted all POP3 gmail settings to IMAP with the 1.1.3 update. If you logged onto gmail you would see the same exact folders. Or if you used IMAP in the Mail.app you would see the same layout.

dr_lha
Jan 18, 2008, 12:24 PM
Some people have said in the past that the iPhone OS requires flash memory because a 4,200rpm HDD is too slow.

A 4,200rpm HHD is fast enough for the MacBook Air though isn't it? The lack of HDD in the iPhone is about 2 things: 1) Form factor and 2) Apple moving towards the future of 100% solid state storage (a step they also took with the high end MacBook Air).

Project
Jan 18, 2008, 03:02 PM

I'm honestly not sure how thick the thing would be, but the current iPhone is significantly thinner than my 5.5Gb 80Gb iPod so there's room for growth in my eyes.

Those people are crazy... as the guy below points out, there are many advantages to solid state, but 4,200 RPM drives will run any OS decently.

The iPhone is thinner for one reason and one reason only. It uses flash.

A 1.8" drive on Flickr.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/62/187656266_9418be6c31.jpg?v=0

Compared to this tiny chip for the Flash on the iPhone logicboard (the one with Samsung inscribed on it)

http://www.mydigitallife.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/b3.JPG

Manic Mouse
Jan 18, 2008, 03:15 PM
But slap that 1.8" into the current iPhone and it doesn't make it that much thicker. Like I said, it would be about as thick as my 5.5G iPod. I, personally, would be more than happy to put up with a fatter iPhone if I could fit all my music and a decent amount of video on it.

ncsmith4
Jan 18, 2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah, it would make it a lot thicker. Plus it would have zero battery life.

Manic Mouse
Jan 18, 2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah, it would make it a lot thicker. Plus it would have zero battery life.

It wouldn't make it "a lot" thicker, the post above shows you just how "massively thick" 1.8" HDDs are. Not very. The 80Gb iPod classic is about the same dimensions as the iPhone if I remember correctly. It may even be slimmer in some dimensions.

It's the screen and processor that takes up most of the power, not the storage. The Classics have better battery life than the iPhone for playing music as well if memory serves.

Apple wouldn't even say how much battery life is saved by using a SSD in the MacBook Air. I'm going to assume that's because it makes minimal difference. The storage is one of the least power consuming components in both the iPhone and the MacBook Air. It's the processor, wireless networking and screens you have to worry about.

Project
Jan 18, 2008, 04:21 PM
But slap that 1.8" into the current iPhone and it doesn't make it that much thicker. Like I said, it would be about as thick as my 5.5G iPod. I, personally, would be more than happy to put up with a fatter iPhone if I could fit all my music and a decent amount of video on it.

It would, as the current iPhone with the small flash memory is very tightly packed. Its not just about thickness but the length and width too. Look at how much extra volume would need to be put into the iPhone, when you compare the 1.8" drive with the flash.The iPod HDD is bigger than the entire iPhone logic board and communications chip set put together.

You could make compromises, by putting in a smaller/weaker battery in there to accommodate the HDD. But that is not really viable given how much juice it takes at the moment.

I'd say realistically you are looking at something like the 4G iPod in terms of volume for a HDD iPhone. I think it would lose a lot of its lustre as a phone if it was that bulky

Manic Mouse
Jan 18, 2008, 04:36 PM
It would, as the current iPhone with the small flash memory is very tightly packed. Its not just about thickness but the length and width too. Look at how much extra volume would need to be put into the iPhone, when you compare the 1.8" drive with the flash.The iPod HDD is bigger than the entire iPhone logic board and communications chip set put together.

You could make compromises, by putting in a smaller/weaker battery in there to accommodate the HDD. But that is not really viable given how much juice it takes at the moment.

I'd say realistically you are looking at something like the 4G iPod in terms of volume for a HDD iPhone. I think it would lose a lot of its lustre as a phone if it was that bulky

Actually I wouldn't say the iPhone is that tightly packed. Look how much thinner the iPod Touch is than the iPhone. Even the 80Gb classic is comparable in terms of size. The iPhone is relatively fat for what it has inside it. Like you said, the iPhone/iPod Touch logic board itself is actually very small what's taking up the "thickness" space is the receiver on the bottom.

This (http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3026&p=2) dissection shows what's inside the iPhone. Now if you think of that as one "layer", then what would be the problem adding a 1.8"HDD as a second layer behind this? It would increase the thickness, but not double or tripple it to a 4G iPod size. When a 1.8" HDD is only a few mm thick why assume it'll add cms to the thickness?

Even better, have the iPhone logic and HDD on the first layer with a bigger battery and antenna on the second.

80Gb iPod Classic size:
Height: 4.1 inches (103.5 mm)
Width: 2.4 inches (61.8 mm)
Depth: 0.41 inch (10.5 mm)

iPhone size:
Height: 4.5 inches (115 mm)
Width: 2.4 inches (61 mm)
Depth: 0.46 inch (11.6 mm)

Classic battery life: 30 hours music playback (ie: accessing the HDD)
iPhone battery life: 24 hours music playback (ie: accessing the flash)

The iPod classic is both thinner and has a longer battery life than the iPhone. So no, a 1.8" HDD isn't monstrously big or a power drain.

ncsmith4
Jan 18, 2008, 04:44 PM
Theres not really a whole lot of empty space inside the iPhone. Adding a HD would probably thicken it by 50-60%. Not to mention, constantly accessing the HD *DOES* eat into battery life.

Project
Jan 18, 2008, 11:37 PM
Actually I wouldn't say the iPhone is that tightly packed. Look how much thinner the iPod Touch is than the iPhone. Even the 80Gb classic is comparable in terms of size. The iPhone is relatively fat for what it has inside it. Like you said, the iPhone/iPod Touch logic board itself is actually very small what's taking up the "thickness" space is the receiver on the bottom.

This (http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3026&p=2) dissection shows what's inside the iPhone. Now if you think of that as one "layer", then what would be the problem adding a 1.8"HDD as a second layer behind this? It would increase the thickness, but not double or tripple it to a 4G iPod size. When a 1.8" HDD is only a few mm thick why assume it'll add cms to the thickness?

Even better, have the iPhone logic and HDD on the first layer with a bigger battery and antenna on the second.

80Gb iPod Classic size:
Height: 4.1 inches (103.5 mm)
Width: 2.4 inches (61.8 mm)
Depth: 0.41 inch (10.5 mm)

iPhone size:
Height: 4.5 inches (115 mm)
Width: 2.4 inches (61 mm)
Depth: 0.46 inch (11.6 mm)

Classic battery life: 30 hours music playback (ie: accessing the HDD)
iPhone battery life: 24 hours music playback (ie: accessing the flash)

The iPod classic is both thinner and has a longer battery life than the iPhone. So no, a 1.8" HDD isn't monstrously big or a power drain.

From said article

"The motherboard in the iPhone is very compact; it is actually composed of two separate PCBs that are sandwiched together." - sounds like they are very conscious of space constraints to hit an attractive form factor.

The point is this. What can you remove from the iPhone to add that hard drive, bearing in mind that the flash memory is about 10% of the volume of the HDD? If we go by your possibility and add it as a second "layer", then you are left with a 4G iPod.

4G iPod dimensions
Height: 4.1"
Width: 2.4"
Depth: 0.57"

So as you can see, I am not talking about doubling or trebling the thickness. The 4G iPod is 0.57" thick. The iPhone is 0.46" thick. The 1.8" drive is about 0.20" thick, or 5mm. You would essentially have to add that to the iPhone, giving around 0.66 thickness as a rough estimate.Lets say Apple perform engineering wonders and get it to 0.6" thick. Still slightly thicker than a 4G iPod and definitely begins to lose its attractiveness, as its around 40% thicker than the iPhone.

The Touch might be a different matter.... Apple could almost certainly get away with putting a hard drive in there and people wouldnt mind. Its when they bring it up to their ear as a phone and it has the weighty and boxy feeling that would put people off. I already have girls telling me the iPhone is big.

McGiord
Jan 20, 2008, 08:11 PM

I haven't updated my iPhone with 1.1.3 yet, I am still with 1.1.2 and I experience this sync only to one computer message, I have a MacBook at home and a PC at work.

My iPhone is jailbroken and I have used an app called SwapTunes that allows you to sync with 2 computers, is like having "2 iTunes partitions".
________
Honda CB400F specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CB400F)

ntrigue
Jan 20, 2008, 08:53 PM
It wouldn't make it "a lot" thicker, the post above shows you just how "massively thick" 1.8" HDDs are. Not very. The 80Gb iPod classic is about the same dimensions as the iPhone if I remember correctly. It may even be slimmer in some dimensions.

Having opened up iPhones it would be the pictured 1.8" thickness in addition to the current size. The flash is a fraction of that in all dimensions. You still need all the components of a phone to fit inside the casing.