PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces iPod Touch Software Update

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jan 15, 2008, 12:33 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

During Steve Jobs' keynote address, he announced 5 new apps for the iPod Touch: Mail, Stocks, Notes, Weather, Maps.

The updated software will be available to existing users for a $20 upgrade fee.
MacHeist (http://www.macrumors.com/c.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fkeynote.macheist.com&t=1200412826) is providing full sponsorship for our MacRumorsLive feed today. Buy their 11 application bundle (http://www.macrumors.com/c.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fkeynote.macheist.com&t=1200412826) for $49 and support MacRumorsLive.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/15/apple-announces-ipod-touch-software-update/)

twoodcc
Jan 15, 2008, 12:36 PM
my brother has an iPod touch. don't know if he's got $20 though

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 15, 2008, 12:36 PM
$20 seems a bit rich... but I guess if I had a Touch I'd pay it.

ImNoSuperMan
Jan 15, 2008, 12:45 PM
20$ hmmm. Not really a great move by Apple. But it`s just 20 bucks in the end. So no need for any whining. Better than having to jailbreak just for these apps.

appleii2mac
Jan 15, 2008, 12:54 PM
Maybe the $20 price is for Sarbanes Oxley related accounting, like the 802.11n update.

safetyobc
Jan 15, 2008, 12:56 PM
Again, Apple screws the early adopters.

$20 isn't bad, but still. It's the principle that "new" iPod Touches will include the update.

Still, I'll buy it for my Touch.

Intarweb
Jan 15, 2008, 01:00 PM
Yay, a necessary firmware upgrade disguised as a $20 app upgrade package. Way to go Apple. :rolleyes:

aviationwiz
Jan 15, 2008, 01:03 PM
$20 for this update? I thought it was a joke at first. Can't you just jailbreak an iPod touch and add all those apps to it for free? Sometimes Apple just doesn't make any sense.

nuzreq
Jan 15, 2008, 01:05 PM
So, if I buy a new iPod Touch today from Amazon and it doesn't include the new software will I have to fork over $20? Or will I be able to get it for free when I register the device?

Jschultz
Jan 15, 2008, 01:06 PM
So, if I buy a new iPod Touch today from Amazon and it doesn't include the new software will I have to fork over $20? Or will I be able to get it for free when I register the device?

I wonder the same thing. I bought a touch yesterday afternoon. Sheesh.:(

pacohaas
Jan 15, 2008, 01:08 PM
Will there be two firmware versions from here on out for those who don't pony up the $20?

pacohaas
Jan 15, 2008, 01:08 PM

no problem, you're within Apple's 14 day return policy.

mandoman
Jan 15, 2008, 01:10 PM
Has mail now, that's great. Now I just need a cisco
vpn client (altogether possible with an SDK coming soon)
and a storage bump and I'll be all over the touch.

aviationwiz

Yeah, but since he's presumably opened it, won't they charge him a restocking fee? This is a huge boat-load of crap.

Otaviano
Apple is just plain greedy. I wish they would stop doing these things. God bless piracy, I'm sure the official firmware update will be online shortly.

samh004
Jan 15, 2008, 01:11 PM
As bad as this is that it costs to get these new apps, you have to remember Apple was never going to release them for free in the first place. They're only adding it as an option now because so many people are having to resort to jailbreaking just because those apps are useful.

If they'd originally released the iPod touch with these apps the fear was it would eat away at iPhone sales, and even though Steve said there were 4 million iPhone sales, he didn't say how many iPod touch sales there were.

I'm actually pleased that this update isn't going to cost me much, and for what, a bit of good karma because I'm not stealing, OK, fine by me. For others it wont be enough.

Will there be two firmware versions from here on out for those who don't pony up the $20?

I'm thinking iTunes will have an applications folder. They'll be stored in there, you'll still download iPod touch-specific updates but you'll be able to add your applications again afterwards if they're removed or what not.

Jschultz
Jan 15, 2008, 01:13 PM

restocking fee? There goes 15% right?

christopher3071
Jan 15, 2008, 01:14 PM
I find it utterly atrocious that apple wants to charge me $20 for applications that they gave away on the iphone. That is absolute bull. A factor that made me buy the iPod touch was because apple said that they had other features down the line that they would be adding. I didn't expect to have to pay for such applications! I gave them $400+ of my money for an iPod touch and THEY WANT MORE?!?! Jailbreak it is. I am very pissed off. I love apple and have always granted them praise, but this is an outrage.

the_ki
Jan 15, 2008, 01:20 PM
I think it's odd that the Apple TV gets a s**tload of new features and that software upgrade is FREE.

But iPod Touch gets features that aren't really new, and it costs $20?

I guess the Apple TV updates are going to be subsidized by the movie rental costs.

Oh, and Time Capsule? Now there's a bait and switch. You can't use Time Machine over a network connection UNLESS you buy our box. That's ridiculous.

Markleshark
Jan 15, 2008, 01:20 PM
$20 is a bit sucky... Never mind, I paid it already.

aaronw1986
Jan 15, 2008, 01:23 PM
restocking fee? There goes 15% right?

Yeah, cheaper to pay for the update...or just jailbreak

cyberfunk
Jan 15, 2008, 01:24 PM
Ugh.. I hope they don't justify this with that accounting BS again. Honestly... someone will pirate this and it'll be on bittorrent before next week. Alternatively, JailBreak the touch.

If you're as annoyed as I am about this... register your discontent with this obnoxious practice here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipodtouch.html

Slip
Once this is jalibroken Im on it. The rearrangeable Home screen will save a lot of hassle with Customize :rolleyes:

christopher3071
I think it's odd that the Apple TV gets a s**tload of new features and that software upgrade is FREE.

I guess the Apple TV updates are going to be subsidized by the movie rental costs.

Oh, and Time Capsule? Now there's a bait and switch. You can't use Time Machine over a network connection UNLESS you buy our box. That's ridiculous.

True, but apple tv wasn't selling as apple had hoped when it was released.

Koyder
Jan 15, 2008, 01:25 PM
How am I supposed to buy the update if I live in Poland, where there's no iTunes Store?

Ish
Jan 15, 2008, 01:26 PM
Mmm, now I'm tempted! I've still got the just the one 1G nano and the battery isn't as good as it was. Anyone that's used one want to tempt me further? :)

stoutboy1
Jan 15, 2008, 01:27 PM
why are the AppleTV and iPhone updates free? It's only $20 but the fact that they screw only a few customers suck. Apple is becoming to greedy. I feel for you touch owners. Screw their model. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::
I would have add more images but my limit is 20.

Jschultz
Jan 15, 2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah, cheaper to pay for the update...or just jailbreak

Im jailbroken now,but i thought that being "official would be nice. Plus,my mail doesnt work , maybe the official update would work.

booshtukka
Jan 15, 2008, 01:28 PM
I concur. These apps should have been on the Touch in the first place. As a consumer, I don't care if Apple thought they would affect iPhone sales. I just know that these are things I should have got originally, and now they want to screw me out of $20 - when they don't even really need to do any work to make this happen.

I'll stick with my Jailbroken one. Apple has it too easy screwing everyone over, and us rolling over and accepting it. This is what happens when the small, cool company starts believing its own hype.

dukebound85
Jan 15, 2008, 01:29 PM
why are the AppleTV and iPhone updates free? It's only $20 but the fact that they screw only a few customers suck. Apple is becoming to greedy. I feel for you touch owners. Screw their model. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::
I would have add more images but my limit is 20.

because both those products have constant revenue for apple.

the touch update will not make apple money

jemo07
Jan 15, 2008, 01:30 PM
I just update... but I rebooted as I was on the phone. Since I am in Spain, I can't see the iTune store front in the US to see if movie rental is available.

JM

BrownManUPS
I was on the fence for a while on whether to get an iPhone or an iTouch, and now I am pretty convinced I'll get an iTouch because of the fact that they didn't upgrade the iPhone memory in this macworld and it is a realization that I don't think they will for a while due to the clientele for the iPhone...the only thing missing from the iTouch is a constant internet connection (which these days there is internet pretty much anywhere) and SMS (which they didn't bother "fixing" the hard ability to type on the keyboard) and a phone (which any phone will do...and visual voice mail is a good widget on the mac to use anyway)..

Overall, I think the iTouch will receive a monster increase in sales, including at least a +1 from me. Plus with the ability to on-demand buy movies and music anywhere (rentals), it really is the best entertainment device in existence.

Draythor
Odd...
I just connected my touch and it's alerted me to the fact that 1.1.3 is available, I hit download and install.
It's downloading
I've got off scott-free!!

I hope...

crmdcrn
Jan 15, 2008, 01:32 PM
no whining here; already paid my $20:p

My question: anybody the install (sync) yet? I just did it and nothing happened. Anybody know what the sync setting has to be for this to work? The download left a tmp file (folder) in the iTunes library . . . that's all.

christopher3071
Jan 15, 2008, 01:33 PM
Odd...
I just connected my touch and it's alerted me to the fact that 1.1.3 is available, I hit download and install.
It's downloading
I've got off scott-free!!

I hope...

You're not going to get the apps in the update.. Either way its Jailbreak or pay $20, the 1.1.3 wont give you free iphone apps on the ipod touch

How am I supposed to buy the update if I live in Poland, where there's no iTunes Store?

I'm wondering the same thing.:o No luck for people who don't have an iTunes Store in their country.

How pathetic, I just bought my iPod Touch 16-17 days ago and now I can't have the new apps. Is there any other way to buy this apps? Through Apple.com maybe?

lamina
$20 for something I already have for free...

christopher3071
Jan 15, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'm wondering the same thing.:o No luck for people who don't have an iTunes Store in their country.

How pathetic, I just bought my iPod Touch 16-17 days ago and now I can't have the new apps. Is there any other way to buy this apps? Through Apple.com maybe?

I say you jailbreak it. Just to get back at apple. You can't damage your ipod touch with a jailbreak, so what do you have to lose?

maxp1
Jan 15, 2008, 01:37 PM

Ok, I gotta ask. Who buys anything Apple the day before a keynote? Or even the week before?

Jan 15, 2008, 01:38 PM
I say you jailbreak it. Just to get back at apple. You can't damage your ipod touch with a jailbreak, so what do you have to lose?

But, can you jailbreak the new 1.3 firmware?

Draythor
You're not going to get the apps in the update.. Either way its Jailbreak or pay $20, the 1.1.3 wont give you free iphone apps on the ipod touch

Ah is that how it works? Where did you get this info?
Oh well, I can live without them until the SDK comes out...

sambapati87
the 1.1.3 update and the "application package" are different things. you need the (free) 1.1.3 update in order to buy the ($20) "application package"

dukebound85
Jan 15, 2008, 01:39 PM
Ok, I gotta ask. Who buys anything Apple the day before a keynote? Or even the week before?

probably alot of people who dont follow apple as closely as you do

Snips
Jan 15, 2008, 01:41 PM
Though I agree that the $20 fee for the apps was a bit of a surprise, I think the interesting thing here is how they are going to collect that $20.

Isn't the only delivery model that supports charging through the iTunes Store? ...in which case presumably this will be accessed through the iPod Games (or equivalent section) in the iTunes store.

I think this is a good precedent for 3rd party developers - i.e. iPhone apps have value, and can be obtained through the iTunes store.

macwannabe77

My question: anybody the install (sync) yet? I just did it and nothing happened. Anybody know what the sync setting has to be for this to work? The download left a tmp file (folder) in the iTunes library . . . that's all.

YEAH, i paid, and synced and nothing happened... anyone else?

christopher3071
But, can you jailbreak the new 1.3 firmware?

You have to download the 1.1.1 firmware and manually install it, then jailbreak that. Then you can upgrade to 1.1.2, the 1.1.3 just came out so I'd give it at least a week for the hackers to figure out how to get 1.1.3 hacked. You can get directions on how to downdate your ipod touch in the ipod touch hacks forums.

kungming2
The $20 is ridiculous. It's just apps - I jailbroke mine already for free... Why would I pay?

EdwardO87
What about those of us who live in countries without iTunes Stores? Like South Africa, for example. There is a huge Apple following and thousands have forked out a lot of cash for the iPod Touch (in many cases, double the price of the iPods in the US) and are now stuck with a brand new, yet antiquated, device! Without the iTunes Store, there seems to be no way of paying the $20 (grudgingly) and, hence, updating your iPod... Now we're stuck without Mail, etc. forever! Doesn't seem fair at all, does it?

Benjamindaines
Jan 15, 2008, 01:42 PM
Seems like the N enabler all over again. People are just going to end up pirating the **** out of it.

mrgreen4242
Jan 15, 2008, 01:42 PM
This is really encouraging people to jailbreak the touch. I don't get Apple's logic here AT ALL. Aside from the iPhone apps, there's several very good other apps for the touch after your jailbreak, so $20 hardly seems like a good but, especially considering they're giving it away for free to people who but after today.

Way to screw your early adopters, again, Apple!

Otaviano
Jan 15, 2008, 01:43 PM

You don't even have to jailbreak it, I'm certain the new firmware will turn up online. It's not like it's looked to one iPod Touch. Once it's online you can download it to your computer, hook the iPod to iTunes go to restore and hold "Alt" when selecting restore you'll then get the option to select the file to restore from.

If I bought an iPod Touch I would do it without thinking. If Microsoft can offer free software updates for their ****** Zune then there is no reason why Apple should be screwing over iPod Touch owners.

Ace25
As someone already said, complain to Apple directly:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html

Snips

I'm downloading 1.1.3 (though opted not to install), but wasn't prompted to pay - I do have an iTunes Store account did I click through a screen too quickly and somehow confirm payment?

GamecockMac
Jan 15, 2008, 01:44 PM

The person he was asking this question about is a member of this forum. So that puts a pretty big hole in your theory.

For what it's worth, I was wondering the exact same thing when I read that person bought a Touch days before a MacWorld keynote.

SubliminalMac
If apple gets the same reaction they got from the iPhone price drop they will fix this...It is BS and they know it.

I am not gonna be someone that says I dont love apple, and the thing is, even with that 20$ and the other BS that comes once in a while, Apple is still better then the rest!

So deal with it or make your own perfect computer company, Im good staying with apple.

Mr.damien
Maybe the $20 price is for Sarbanes Oxley related accounting, like the 802.11n update.
It can't be or you should also pay for the iPhone upgrade also.

moonzilla
Jan 15, 2008, 01:45 PM
anybody know if the updated maps application (with wi-fi location) is available for a jailbroken touch yet? ;)

SheriffParker
I have a question for anyone who upgraded:

1. Can you edit contacts and calender directly on the iPod now?

gkarris
Apple has it too easy screwing everyone over, and us rolling over and accepting it. This is what happens when the small, cool company starts believing its own hype.

Sarbanes-Oxley is probably the one to blame here...

I applaud Apple making the iPod the BEST PDA EVER!

mrgreen4242
Jan 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
Though I agree that the $20 fee for the apps was a bit of a surprise, I think the interesting thing here is how they are going to collect that $20.

Isn't the only delivery model that supports charging through the iTunes Store? ...in which case presumably this will be accessed through the iPod Games (or equivalent section) in the iTunes store.

I think this is a good precedent for 3rd party developers - i.e. iPhone apps have value, and can be obtained through the iTunes store.

I think that's interesting, but the price is the issue here, and the fact that they are giving it away for new touch purchases. Had it been $5 and they charged new touch owners the same price it would have been at least pretty fair, but this is just screwing the early buyers, again.

mrgreen4242
Jan 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
It can't be or you should also pay for the iPhone upgrade also.

And the ATV upgrades.

Lancetx
Jan 15, 2008, 01:47 PM

That's almost certainly what it is, and also the reason why there isn't a fee for the iPhone update. It's definitely not a surprise really when you think about it.

moonzilla
and while $20 may not seem like a whole lot of money, it's really the principle of having to pay more for something you dropped 300/400 on. and btw, you can get a lot more apps with a jailbroken touch than just maps, stocks, weather, mail, and notes. so no, a 1.1.3 touch is not on the same level as a jailbroken one

dom7
Let's hope that we can now log on to 802.1x networks. If not, I'll be quite upset...

macwannabe77
Jan 15, 2008, 01:48 PM
I'm downloading 1.1.3 (though opted not to install), but wasn't prompted to pay - I do have an iTunes Store account did I click through a screen too quickly and somehow confirm payment?

They are two separate things... i updated to 1.1.3.. then through the applewebsite I was redirected to the itunes store to purchase the touch app updates.. i purchased.. then i followed the directions to sync my touch.. and nothing

jcshas
Jan 15, 2008, 01:48 PM
$20!?! Way to stick it to your customers, Apple! It's not like they had to run out and hire a whole new development staff to build these apps for the iPod touch. :mad:

It wouldn’t surprise me if the 2nd gen iPod touch features an integrated credit card slot on the side so you can swipe your credit card every time Apple releases a software update.

BrownManUPS
Jan 15, 2008, 01:49 PM

If you are on macrumors enough to post on a forum, you would know that Steve Jobs was making an announcement today about something.

The person who bought the iTouch was foolish to do so. Even if you have never known that MacWorld meant new stuff, if you come to MacRumors.com and see that the website is making a HUGE deal out of it, there has to be a reason for it...

And early adopters should not whine because everyone is an early adopter in today's world. Apple moves pretty fast (avg. 180 days for a big update), so when you are buying something that is prone to updates (iphone, itouch, macbook) you will get screwed. I have had this macbook for a while and they already increased the speed and introduced this MacBook Air (which is pointless to buy at such a high price...I'll settle to keep my CD drive and bigger HDD anyway). The only "spoiler" for early adopters if anything would be if someone bought Apple TV, because no one really expected THAT to be updated, even though it was rumored and highly suggested that Apple should allow direct buying from iTunes.

I think me buying an iTouch may be a big mistake because the iPhone will undoubtedly go 3G and upgrade to 16 GB sometime, but I have waited for a long time for a new iPod anyway and at this rate I don't see it valuable to buy an iPhone because of how equivalent the iTouch has become.

Mr. Brown
Jan 15, 2008, 01:49 PM
So if you buy one today in a store and it doesn't have the new FW, you get a new one?

SubliminalMac
Jan 15, 2008, 01:50 PM
http://www.apple.com/feedback/

legacyb4
Jan 15, 2008, 01:51 PM
Because the percentage of people who probably roll up their sleeves to jailbreak their iPod Touches versus those who will fork over $20 on a credit card to just get things over with is pretty small.

Personally, unless there are some hidden improvements (performance, etc.) in 1.1.3, I'm going to stay with my JB'ed 1.1.2 Touch for a while.

And yes, it makes no sense why Apple TV early adopters get a free update while us iPod Touch early adopters don't; hell, our 16GB units cost as much as the Apple TVs!

The $20 is ridiculous. It's just apps - I jailbroke mine already for free... Why would I pay?

B. Hunter
Jan 15, 2008, 01:52 PM
People are spewing venom all over the Apple discussions board.
And Apple is deleting threads left and right.

I don't agree that current Touch owners should pay for something that already exists.
Ever since Apple gave the iPhone $200 or whatever rebate, The genie was let out of the bottle.

morespce54
Jan 15, 2008, 01:53 PM
Has mail now, that's great. Now I just need a cisco
vpn client (altogether possible with an SDK coming soon)
and a storage bump and I'll be all over the touch.

Not having Mail and the lack of storage were my only two downsides... Now there is only one left before I get mine.... :D

atariboy
So if i buy an itouch at the weekend will it have the new apps. Will there be a week no or something

Mr.damien
Congratulation, it's thank to sucker like you that Apple will make every upgrade paying ...

jlyanks85
Jan 15, 2008, 01:55 PM
I'm not even a early adopter either, I just bought my ipod touch a couple weeks ago since this news really sucks for me. Wonder If I can still return my ipod towards the new ones

BrownManUPS
I don't agree that current Touch owners should pay for something that already exists.
Ever since Apple gave the $200 or whatever rebate, The genie was let out of the bottle.

I totally agree. Though I believe no one should whine about this, it is true that since Apple set a standard for satisfying their customers like that, the same should follow...

HOWEVER, it is only 20 bucks. 200 vs. 20...I don't think Apple will give in so easily.

iboswall
this is the worst update i've ever seen for anything. while each of the apps provides something semi-usefull, for many of them you could just make bookmarks for websites that did the same thing anyway. iphones and appletv both got free updates today and the touch gets an update that costs $20? and as far as i can tell it looks like it ruins the touch's dock, which was something where the touch far excelled compared to the iphone.
come on apple when it come to the calendar you had the heart to fix that one on the house

andrew050703
Jan 15, 2008, 01:56 PM
I have a question for anyone who upgraded:

1. Can you edit contacts and calender directly on the iPod now?

You could edit/add contacts from the start 1.1.1 (or whatever it came out of the box as)

Calendar editing "bug" was "fixed" in 1.1.2

SubliminalMac
Jan 15, 2008, 01:57 PM
They Shut The Whole Discussion Page Down!!! Keep Going All There Going To Do A Press Release Soon I Guarantee It Just Keep With The Mass Complaints

christopher3071
Jan 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
PLEASE COMPLAIN DIRECTLY TO APPLE like many have said, I just did it, if we all do it hopefully they will see the damage they have done and reconsider.

morespce54
Jan 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
because both those products have constant revenue for apple.

the touch update will not make apple money

unless you count renting movies or buying songs on iTunes...

macwannabe77
Jan 15, 2008, 02:00 PM
Well I hope they do something, I paid and got nothing. It told us to just sync our touch and the application appears on the touch... did that, synced and nothing...

Jschultz
Jan 15, 2008, 02:01 PM

Well,generally I dont expect apple to charge for little stuff like this. Fool me once,shame on you, fool me twice ,shame on me

legacyb4
Just did.

As a long-time Apple user (since early 80's), I'm disappointed to find that Apple is again penalizing their early adopters. I can understand charging for an actual hardware change (more memory, new dongle, etc) but I'm finding it harder and harder to evangelize Mac products when I get a $20 early adopters fee laid on me simply to upgrade to a product on the store shelves with the only difference being a firmware upgrade and a pretty new box.

After all, why do the Apple TV early adopters get the upgrade for free and I get shafted with an upgrade fee?

Please reconsider.

PLEASE COMPLAIN DIRECTLY TO APPLE like many have said, I just did it, if we all do it hopefully they will see the damage they have done and reconsider.

MaTiCeK
Come on, what should people from iTunes-Store-less countries do?

Novataglio
Jan 15, 2008, 02:02 PM
Did they say it would be included in new Touches? I didn't see that. Maybe missed it?

Anyway Apple has to continue to give a perceived value to iPhone owners and I think this is one way to do it. They are purely optional apps for an iPod device so they are making it that way by charging $20 for those that want them. If it isn't worth it to you, don't buy it. If they see that only 1% bought it, they'll lower the price. This could show a price point of around $5 per app once the SDK and all goes live through iTunes.

jcshas
Jan 15, 2008, 02:02 PM
They Shut The Whole Discussion Page Down!!! Keep Going All There Going To Do A Press Release Soon I Guarantee It Just Keep With The Mass Complaints

I doubt it. They're probably just adding new discussion threads to correspond with the new product announcements (i.e. MacBook Air)

christopher3071
Jan 15, 2008, 02:03 PM
YOU BIG DUMMIES THAT IS TO THE REGULAR IPOD SITE IT WONT EVEN LET YOU CHOOSE IPOD TOUCH SO I DONT KNOW HOW YOUR DOING IT! GO HERE FOR THE CORRECT SITE

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

My mistake.

SubliminalMac
Jan 15, 2008, 02:03 PM
If You Try To Update Your Ipod Via Itunes It Says The Server Is Down! Maybe There Adding The Apps To The Update

BrownManUPS
Jan 15, 2008, 02:04 PM
Did they say it would be included in new Touches? I didn't see that. Maybe missed it.

Technically they didn't "say" it anywhere but if you look at the Apple Store right now the iTouch includes "Safari, YouTube, iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather, Notes" so you would assume that when you buy one today it includes all of that.

infectbda
Jan 15, 2008, 02:05 PM
This thing with charging 20 dollars is disappointing, but my bigger complaint it that it seems that many of the general updates to the iPhone in firmware 1.1.3 were not carried over to the iPod touch firmware. For example, Webclips and re-arranging icons on the home screen are no where to be seen on this latest firmware. Can anyone confirm that these show up with the 20 dollar applications add-on package?

Edit: I just noticed these listed as part of the package. WTF!

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 15, 2008, 02:06 PM
If You Try To Update Your Ipod Via Itunes It Says The Server Is Down! Maybe There Adding The Apps To The Update

Maybe Your Capitalization And Grammar And Spelling ********* Everything Up

darwinian
It does seem kinda petty to charge for this update. It's clear that not a lot of additional engineering is necessary to move from one to the other considering the mobile versions work fine on a jailbroken iPod touch.

What I am interested in is this -- the iPhone's software update for free is a great model. I wonder if they're going to do the mobile OS X in the same way they do the primary OS upgrades -- incrementals are free while a major upgrade is charged. That's a good model, and I was worried for awhile that, like past iPods, only new devices would have the new software, which was somewhat ridiculous in most cases. However, the small fee for the iPod touch upgrade is an interesting move, that I certainly hope doesn't become standard for these software updates. Weird.

safetyobc

I updated to 1.1.3. Then updated iTunes to 7.6.

Then I went to Apples website to the iPod Touch page. There is a small section there about buying the 5 apps. I clicked on it, the iTunes store opened to the correct page, and I downloaded them.

No problem (other than paying $20.) I think they should have been free. I think we early adopters were screwed. But I wanted the apps and didn't feel comfortable jailbreaking so I am out $20.

andi030
Jan 15, 2008, 02:08 PM
That is a rip off! i know it is only 20$ but still this is 20$ for something that should be in the ipod at frist place!!Well i am really thinking about it because what should i pay for something that should be already in the iPod... .
An the Webclibs are also includet??
Well i still dont know about but I cant accept it that just by klicking on a botton...

Jan 15, 2008, 02:08 PM
HOWEVER, it is only 20 bucks. 200 vs. 20...I don't think Apple will give in so easily.

The thing is that many people don't even have the choice to pay those 20 bucks because we don't have an iTunes Store in our countries.

Already did it, in the correct iPod Touch feedback.:)

Anyone here has the Steve Jobs mail? It might work.:D

crmdcrn
Jan 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
I updated to 1.1.3. Then updated iTunes to 7.6.

Then I went to Apples website to the iPod Touch page. There is a small section there about buying the 5 apps. I clicked on it, the iTunes store opened to the correct page, and I downloaded them.

No problem (other than paying $20.) I think they should have been free. I think we early adopters were screwed. But I wanted the apps and didn't feel comfortable jailbreaking so I am out $20.

and? did the install work okay when you synched? a number of people have said they got nothing new after the synch

apsterling
Jan 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
I emailed "Steve" about it. I'm still awaiting a response that I may or may not get, but perhaps this'll shed some light.

lavem
Jan 15, 2008, 02:10 PM
I've sent my complaint in. Quite polite but along the lines of 'stick your £12.99 iPod update up Steve's bum' and 'stick your MacPro 802.11n update up there too'.

I'll carry on using gmail with Safari, its good enough for me. The rest of the apps are crap, except for maps which would be nice.

i dont see why we should pay for something that new buyers get for free. It really is the final insult.

Are we going to have to pay for the next update so we can pay again to buy third party apps?

jaw04005
Jan 15, 2008, 02:10 PM

Both Apple TV and iPhone were set up from the start on a "subscription accounting model." Features and upgrades were always intended (by public statements) for both of these items during financial reports.

For whatever reason, iPod touch revenue was not subscription-based.

They're not new to the iPhone, but they are to the iPod touch. :)

Completely agree with you here. Apple couldn't get the AirPort Extreme's firmware to report back whether each bit was successfully copied via USB, so they put a hard drive in the actual unit.

This is completely unacceptable as AirPort Extreme Time Machine backups were a touted feature at WWDC and mentioned as a feature on Leopard's feature list up until launch.

Cameront9
Jan 15, 2008, 02:11 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how much whining people do.

Those who bought their iPod Touches (myself included) early knew full-well what the product was supposed to have. And that did NOT include these apps. There was no garuntee that those apps would ever be made available. You knew exactly what you were getting.

So now that Apple is offering the apps, you complain, because you want it for Free? You bought the product expecting it to do something, and now you complain when Apple doesn't update your product to the latest and greatest, for free?

Let me explain something. Apple is in business to MAKE MONEY. Not to give fanboys stuff for free. Someone had to code all those apps, and make sure they work properly on the iPod Touch (which IS different from the iPhone despite what people say). Imagine if I bought a car, and 4 weeks later a new model, with the same body but a better, upgraded engine came out. Should I be able to bitch and moan and get the auto company to upgrade my engine for free?

It would be great to get those 5 apps for free, but as it is they are asking $4 dollars per application. I don't think that is unreasonable.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just sick and tired of everyone complaining when Apple doesn't hand them everything on a silver platter.

apsterling
Jan 15, 2008, 02:13 PM
and? did the install work okay when you synched? a number of people have said they got nothing new after the synch

Sync twice, it worked for me.

mr_matalino
Jan 15, 2008, 02:13 PM

Rule #1 - Don't ever buy anything Apple 2 weeks before a scheduled keynote (unless you need it of course).

morespce54
Jan 15, 2008, 02:15 PM
...The person who bought the iTouch was foolish to do so. Even if you have never known that MacWorld meant new stuff, if you come to MacRumors.com and see that the website is making a HUGE deal out of it, there has to be a reason for it...

Maybe but let's face it, we've talk more about the MacBook Air (and the name) then about the iTouch...

One (quite savy Macrumors member) could expect an iPhone update because it's already been a few months since the introduction but not necessarily about the iTouch (it's a "more recent" device). As a proof, the only update about the iTouch was 4 new widgets/apps (which now cost $20 for early adopters).

So i wouldn't go as far as call him "foolish" :rolleyes:
Maybe just "unlucky"... ;)

RedDragon870503
Jan 15, 2008, 02:15 PM

Those who bought their iPod Touches (myself included) early knew full-well what the product was supposed to have. And that did NOT include these apps. There was no garuntee that those apps would ever be made available. You knew exactly what you were getting.

So now that Apple is offering the apps, you complain, because you want it for Free? You bought the product expecting it to do something, and now you complain when Apple doesn't update your product to the latest and greatest, for free?

Let me explain something. Apple is in business to MAKE MONEY. Not to give fanboys stuff for free. Someone had to code all those apps, and make sure they work properly on the iPod Touch (which IS different from the iPhone despite what people say). Imagine if I bought a car, and 4 weeks later a new model, with the same body but a better, upgraded engine came out. Should I be able to bitch and moan and get the auto company to upgrade my engine for free?

It would be great to get those 5 apps for free, but as it is they are asking $4 dollars per application. I don't think that is unreasonable.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just sick and tired of everyone complaining when Apple doesn't hand them everything on a silver platter.

Though I agree with you on some level, I know full well, minimal effort was made to "port" the already coded apps from the iPhone to an iPod Touch.

Hackers did it in a matter of days.

I think you fail to see the bigger picture of why people are upset.

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 15, 2008, 02:16 PM
Your one of those dipsticks that nukes everything....like it actually matters how I type...apparently people read it just fine... whats your address ill ship over hooked on phonics

It's not how you type, it's how you mangle the damn language.

My address:
The Southern Comforter™
1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20500

Cameront9
Jan 15, 2008, 02:17 PM
Dude your ridiculous..... the OS on both the iPhone and iPod Touch are exactly the same just missing the Edge....when the ipod got released it had error screens from the iPhone.... Do your research

Right, the OS is the same. The Hardware is not. Therefore there is not a 100% garuantee that the Apps will work the same or that they should be the same.

Case in point: Maps. The iPhone's Map app has location by triangulation from Cell phone towers. Now obviously, the iPod touch doesn't have that. So something in the program has to be different. Someone has to test that stuff.

SubliminalMac
Jan 15, 2008, 02:17 PM
They Are Both Still Down!!! :d

We Need To Make Apple Learn From This Cause Apparently They Didnt From The Iphone Deboggle.

Keep Vitrually Stoning Them And They Will Give Sooner Or Later And From The Looks Of The Discussion Page And Update Server Being Down There Doing It Now

carlodemarchis
Jan 15, 2008, 02:18 PM
Hi all, i bought it from the store and i got redirected to my Italian iTunes account - 17.99 euro. Accepted all conditions hen got a confirmation screen.
Connected iPod touch... then what???? I've tried "check for update" but got nothing and an error. What should i do? Anybody got it ok on the ipod tocuh???

Dimwhit
Jan 15, 2008, 02:19 PM

Yeah, why would anyone pay money for applications...

ImNoSuperMan
Jan 15, 2008, 02:19 PM
Mark my words. Apple didnt pay back coz of consumer complaints. They knew it was going to happen and planned it in advance. Apple aint no fool. They know what consequences they`ll be facing for their actions.

And I just dont understand why people are crying over 20$. You`re not forced to buy the apps. Pay for them only if you feel the price is right. Yes it`d be better if Apple included these apps with the update for free. So what if they didnt. You still have an option to get it if you like. Just stop crying and making a big deal out of it.

It`s just 20 bucks. And it`s still optional. No one`s forcing any one.

phytonix
Jan 15, 2008, 02:20 PM
I complaint. Hopefully other owners should do the same. Thank you!

YuriVoorhak
Jan 15, 2008, 02:20 PM
But are Touches shipping with this update today? I was going to buy one tomorrow. =/

PMartinez527
Jan 15, 2008, 02:22 PM
Right, the OS is the same. The Hardware is not. Therefore there is not a 100% garuantee that the Apps will work the same or that they should be the same.

Case in point: Maps. The iPhone's Map app has location by triangulation from Cell phone towers. Now obviously, the iPod touch doesn't have that. So something in the program has to be different. Someone has to test that stuff.

They said in the keynote that maps for iphone will use cell towers AND wifi hotspots, touch will only use the wifi hotspots. therefore porting maps from iphone will work on ipod touch. i give them 2 days before the upgrades to mail and maps are on applerepo.com

phytonix
Jan 15, 2008, 02:23 PM
Just stop crying and making a big deal out of it.

Are we crying? I only heard people shouting angrily.

jonathanjong
Jan 15, 2008, 02:23 PM
So, we're all here complaining about how Apple has once again conned the early adopters, how the $20 is unfair, etc. And yet many of these rants end with: "But I've paid my $20." And this is why Apple can continue doing this to its consumers. We moan and complain, but in the end we give in. Here's a thought: Don't. Just jailbreak your iPod Touches and you'll get Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather, and Notes for free. It's worked brilliantly for pretty much everyone who's done it. No bricking, no hardware hack involved. If you're ever dissatisfied, just Restore. No harm, no foul. Sure, third-party apps might not be as slick and smooth as Apple's born-and-breds, but I think the slight hassle Customize might have over Apple's solution is worth defending the principle. Let's do our part to put an end to this madness: Don't upgrade, just jailbreak.

sikkinixx
Jan 15, 2008, 02:24 PM
Well the iPod stays jailbroken. Oh well, I like my custom summerboards and RSS reader better anyway. Thanks for making the choice easier for me Apple.

Jschultz
Jan 15, 2008, 02:25 PM
Maybe but let's face it, we've talk more about the MacBook Air (and the name) then about the iTouch...

One (quite savy Macrumors member) could expect an iPhone update because it's already been a few months since the introduction but not necessarily about the iTouch (it's a "more recent" device). As a proof, the only update about the iTouch was 4 new widgets/apps (which now cost $20 for early adopters).

So i wouldn't go as far as call him "foolish" :rolleyes:
Maybe just "unlucky"... ;)

Unlucky is more like it. And I'm not as miffed as I could be. I didn't invest much time into jailbreaking, and although my mail app doesn't work, going to the mobile yahoo site works just as fine. Now, if there was a NEW touch introduced, or was being talked about....I would have held off buying. This is sorta different.

Draythor
Just to clarify:

Upgrade iTunes to 7.6

Upgrade iPod touch firmware to 1.1.3
This includes:
- Horrible iPhone Dock
- Ability to move Apps around/change dock
- Web clips
- Bug Fixes (inevitably, but always good)

Pay £13/$20 for new Apps:
- Mail
- Widgets
- Notes
- Weather
- Stocks
- Maps (new and improved from JailBreak versions)

OR

Wait around for those boffins to hack 1.1.3 and get it all for free

Am I right?:apple:

~Dray

gkarris
Congratulation, it's thank to sucker like you that Apple will make every upgrade paying ...

As we keep saying, that would be "Sarbanes-Oxley" - not "Apple"...

pubius
Jan 15, 2008, 02:26 PM
the only thing missing from the iTouch is a constant internet connection... ...and SMS (which they didn't bother "fixing" the hard ability to type on the keyboard)
you know. i was a little sketched out by the keyboard too. but with time i am really used to it. i can blaze through paragraphs. and it's really smart about guessing the words from mis-types. i wouldn't let that stand in the way at all.

crmdcrn
Sync twice, it worked for me.

nope; synched 4 times--nothing....

what all do you have set to synch? maybe my synch setup is too limited

ridli

While I agree that the community is behaving like a petulant child, your analogy is a little strained. I would suggest that this is more like you bought a car and then the manufacturer updated it: the body is the same, the style is the same, it is in fact, still a car. But now it has cupholders. That doesn't make driving the car any different, it just now has an extra perk.

Anyway, I think Apple just *really* misjudged the price point. There is something magical about 20 dollars, I don't know why or how, but 20 dollars is some amazing figure that implies a crazy amount of value to a lot of people. If this were say, $9 dollars I would imagine there would be a lot less anger. I think that deep down a reasonable person knows that there is value in this update. But the miser in all of us rankles as forking over 20 dollars for most anything.

Porco
Jan 15, 2008, 02:27 PM
"From the people who charged you for wireless n and to make ringtones from your own music..." ! I really hate this overly-greedy streak in Apple lately. Are the same employees that come up with these idiotic plans getting moved around departments or something?

New iPhone software - free.
New AppleTV software - free.
New iPod Touch software - $20.

Utter nonsense. It just looks stupid. If they're going to charge for it, at least bundle it with a game or two instead of just repacking apps from the iPhone that should have been on the Touch from day one IMHO.

lavem
Jan 15, 2008, 02:28 PM

I'm definitely waiting to see what they do over the 3rd party apps functionality. I just don't see the value in this, you can get it all via Safari anyway. And I'd hate to get stung every other month.

stockcerts
Jan 15, 2008, 02:29 PM
I just bought my Touch today. Will I have to pay the $20- upgrade for the software?

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 15, 2008, 02:30 PM

"The Devil made me do it."

tibi08
Jan 15, 2008, 02:30 PM
Does the damn thing STILL not synch wirelessly?

andrew050703
Jan 15, 2008, 02:31 PM
Are we crying? I only heard people shouting angrily.

Yeah. Angry. Like having to fork out an extra $5.52 for the privilege of living in the UK :mad: its not like there's import taxes to pay for

Jan 15, 2008, 02:33 PM

And I just dont understand why people are crying over 20$. You`re not forced to buy the apps. Pay for them only if you feel the price is right. Yes it`d be better if Apple included these apps with the update for free. So what if they didnt. You still have an option to get it if you like. Just stop crying and making a big deal out of it.

What happens is that I want those apps, I am in for paying 20 bucks, but I can't (as of this moment) because I don't have the iTunes Store in my country.

And also, charging $20 for 4 apps is quite high priced.

sibruk
Jan 15, 2008, 02:33 PM
This is a very disturbing development. Up to this point, software updates to iPods have always been free. Very, very bad move, Apple.

Now users who bought an identical product slightly later are given preferential treatment by getting all these applications bundled in.

This is not a argument about early adopters, since the product has not changed in any way. They're locking early adopters out of the updates which will be free to customers who purchase the Touch after today.

This stinks of money grabbing. Apple could try and spin this the SOX way (although they haven't tried to do so yet) but I don't see how they can link accounting rules with a software update. Are we going to have to pay for each sub-release of iTunes because they added in the ability to purchase some new kind of content? No, funny that.

dom7
Jan 15, 2008, 02:34 PM
Let's hope that the iPod Touch and iPhone can now log on to 802.1x networks. It not, I'll be quite upset...

Mr.damien
As we keep saying, if it was SOX, you should also pay for iPhone and Apple TV upgrade.

Draythor
Does the damn thing STILL not synch wirelessly?

That's for the next iPod touch/ iPhone
I bet'cha!

kuebby
Jan 15, 2008, 02:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Let's hope that the iPod Touch and iPhone can now log on to 802.1x networks. It not, I'll be quite upset...

same here. Such an easy update, and of great usefulness for everyone that needs it.

MattJessop
Jan 15, 2008, 02:37 PM
Does anybody know if this adds VPN to the Touch? I'd assume so since the VPN capability was previously held in the Mail preferences on the iPhone/iPod Touch jailbreaked. If it does, I'll gladly pay the price as its the only way for me to use my uni's wifi network. :)

If not, I'm sticking to the jailbreaked 1.1.1 however. Which is a shame, I'd love to use these apps the official way.

carlodemarchis
Jan 15, 2008, 02:38 PM
Just to clarify:

Upgrade iTunes to 7.6

This includes:
- Horrible iPhone Dock
- Web clips

- Mail
- Widgets
- Notes
- Weather
- Stocks

OR

~Dray

OK FOUND my problem - the update server is down can not get 1.1.3!!!

flashy-cat
Jan 15, 2008, 02:38 PM
Maybe Your Capitalization And Grammar And Spelling ********* Everything Up

There's some sad people out there...

ImNoSuperMan
Jan 15, 2008, 02:39 PM
LIKE THE GENTLEMAN BEFORE, YOU ARE COMPLETELY MISSING THE BIG PICTURE.....

ONE WORD

"PRINCIPLE"

I dont see any big picture here. Just 20 bucks. I can understand when iPhone prices dropped by 200$ in two months. But for iPod touch(which is your iPod first. Not a PDA or phone) it`s just not right to whine bout. You can cry if they dont include the same iPod features which they included for iPhone today.

It reminds me of my 2 year old SPOILED kid. He has to have everything. No matter what. If he thinks he should have it then he has to get it there and then. Or else he`ll start crying. Crying and crying until he gets what he wants even if it makes no sense. I cant expect my 2year old to grow up and start thinking logically but for the rest of us............... I can atleast hope.

Again just 20 bucks. Again no ones forcing you. And you can jailbreak if you dont feel apple should charge for something like this and get it for free. Just stop whining at every move of Apple.

JasO
Jan 15, 2008, 02:39 PM
I guess there will be a few more visitors to the iPod touch jailbreaking section this month! no body will wants to pay for something when they can get it for free...no body.

Draythor
Jan 15, 2008, 02:40 PM
Just to clarify:

Upgrade iTunes to 7.6

This includes:
- Horrible iPhone Dock
- Web clips

- Mail
- Widgets
- Notes
- Weather
- Stocks

OR

~Dray

Actually it's more like this:

Upgrade iTunes to 7.6

This includes:
- Horrible iPhone Dock

- Web clips
- Mail
- Widgets
- Notes
- Weather
- Stocks

OR

MrMoore
Jan 15, 2008, 02:40 PM
I'm a little disappointed that the "upgrade" will cost $20. Will I get it, probably. I thought about the jailbreak method, but thought it would be too much of a hassle. I was already on 1.1.2 and to jailbreak I would have had to downgrade the iPod's firmware, install jailbreak, get a hold of the apps from an iPhone device. And whose to say it wouldn't be broken with a future update.

I guess I'm lazy ;) and I want to be legit (not in a legal sense but moral sense). Time to get the credit card out

Ad Pro
Jan 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
Mine will not sync either. im not even sure if anything happened when I clicked download / buy. But the money has been deducted from my account!

RedDragon870503
Jan 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

same here. Such an easy update, and of great usefulness for everyone that needs it.

haha...

You mean like Apple updating the iPod Touch to provide something useful.

Not a chance.

And no, this update does NOT include 802.1X authentication support.

I am miffed.

Draythor
Jan 15, 2008, 02:42 PM
I guess there will be a few more visitors to the iPod touch jailbreaking section this month! no body will wants to pay for something when they can get it for free...no body.

I'd rather pay personally if it means I can update without worry
I will buy these Apps, happily, on the 25th (Pay day)
I'm sure I'm not alone

Whether it should be free or not is entirely different...

morespce54
Jan 15, 2008, 02:42 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how much whining people do....

It would be great to get those 5 apps for free, but as it is they are asking $4 dollars per application. I don't think that is unreasonable...

well the point is not (really) about the $20 (for me, at least). It more about the fact that someone who bought an iTouch 2 days ago have to pay the extra to get what someone else is getting for free today with the same device. Then, Apple already did that with iPods (5g/5g photo/5g video/6g with new UI) but that doesn't mean it's okay (from my point of view). I know Apple is a company and I'm not seriously thinking they will change their way of doing business but that still upset me every time... ;)

xenotaku
Jan 15, 2008, 02:43 PM
why on earth does this not include iCal?

miker51
Jan 15, 2008, 02:43 PM
OK FOUND my problem - the update server is down can not get 1.1.3!!!

I'm having the same problem.

Cameront9
Jan 15, 2008, 02:44 PM
I dont see any big picture here. Just 20 bucks. I can understand when iPhone prices dropped by 200$ in two months. But for iPod touch(which is your iPod first. Not a PDA or phone) it`s just not right to whine bout. You can cry if they dont include the same iPod features which they included for iPhone today.

It reminds me of my 2 year old SPOILED kid. He has to have everything. No matter what. If he thinks he should have it then he has to get it there and then. Or else he`ll start crying. Crying and crying until he gets what he wants even if it makes no sense. I cant expect my 2year old to grow up and start thinking logically but for the rest of us............... I can atleast hope.

Again just 20 bucks. Again no ones forcing you. And you can jailbreak if you dont feel apple should charge for something like this and get it for free. Just stop whining at every move of Apple.

At last some sanity; thank you.

dmaxdmax
Jan 15, 2008, 02:45 PM
Anyone savvy enough to read this board who bought an item within a month of MacWorld deserves a $20 idiot fee.

If you want to steal it go right ahead but be honest about your dishonest act. If you think it isn't "stealing" just ask an Apple rep. They own it so they get to decide. It's the same as "I'm not cheating on my wife if all we do is hold hands." All you have to do is ask your wife - if she thinks that equates to cheating than cheating it is.

Cameront9
Jan 15, 2008, 02:46 PM
why on earth does this not include iCal?

Because the calendar is already on the iPod Touch and always has been?

xenotaku
Jan 15, 2008, 02:48 PM
Because the calendar is already on the iPod Touch and always has been?

editable iCal on the touch?

Spades
Jan 15, 2008, 02:48 PM
Webclips and icon moving aren't part of the free 1.1.3 update? Those are updates to apps already on the touch. I don't buy the SOX argument to begin with, but if we accept it as a given that it is true, how does anyone explain charging for webclips and the icon update?

Yankees 4 Life
Jan 15, 2008, 02:49 PM

wow that is crazy... Thank god I have an iPhone!

Cameront9
Jan 15, 2008, 02:49 PM
editable iCal on the touch?

Yes, calendar editing was a "bug" that was fixed in the 1.1.2 update.

ProstheticHead
Jan 15, 2008, 02:50 PM
This reminds me back when they had that whole $5 802.11n upgrade issue which, once again, punished early adopters. Conveniently, the upgrade was quickly found on various torrent sites. This is one of those situations that I believe Apple deserves to have software pirated from them. Don't punish early adopters and make them pay for what new customers get for free.

Just my two cents. :P

dmaxdmax
Jan 15, 2008, 02:50 PM
You are a perfect customer for apple, conformant! wasnt apple built on being non-conformant? Apparently being an early adopter is now punishable instead of being the blood that flows to create a new product great!!

you sir are ignorant

Apple wasn't built on non-conformant (sic). It was built on charging above-market prices for above-average products. The price levels may be different now but the company was built on high prices.

The OP isn't ignorant. He simply disagrees with you.

needthephone
Jan 15, 2008, 02:51 PM
Apple are a business with 1000's of employees, many being paid extremely good money to develop software and products which we can actually get excited about.

How are apple suppose to pay these employees and stay in BUSINESS then, with your good will at having all this stuff given away.

Stop complaining about $20 why should apple give you all this intellectual property for free, sorry but not everything in life is free and $20 is not much. Come on.

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 15, 2008, 02:51 PM
It reminds me of my 2 year old SPOILED kid. He has to have everything. No matter what. If he thinks he should have it then he has to get it there and then. Or else he`ll start crying. Crying and crying until he gets what he wants even if it makes no sense. I cant expect my 2year old to grow up and start thinking logically

I don't have much hope for him either, to be honest.

lucas
Jan 15, 2008, 02:52 PM
I wonder what happens if you "restore to default" your iPod touch on the new version of itunes? does it track that the "default" for your iPod had, or didnt have, the new apps?

sirjec
Sure, third-party apps might not be as slick and smooth as Apple's born-and-breds,....

I'm sorry, but that's my $20 justification there... if I wanted buggy half baked hacked things I wouldn't buy an iPod to start with.

Listen people, I'm sure they expected this backlash, it happens every time there's a paid update. I'm pretty sure they've weighed up the options and found that a lot of people would pay...

xenotaku
Yes, calendar editing was a "bug" that was fixed in the 1.1.2 update.

nice, i never knew that. So iCal on the Touch is fully functional?

razorme
Jan 15, 2008, 02:54 PM
I just bought my Touch today. Will I have to pay the $20- upgrade for the software?

That's what I would like to know! I held off on buying the Touch in case of updates... can I go buy one in the store and get the upgrade free, or will I have to wait for new ones to get into the system?

Ad Pro
Jan 15, 2008, 02:54 PM
It is working now. Download in progress!!

Phil A.
Jan 15, 2008, 02:55 PM
I think that's interesting, but the price is the issue here, and the fact that they are giving it away for new touch purchases. Had it been $5 and they charged new touch owners the same price it would have been at least pretty fair, but this is just screwing the early buyers, again.

How do you know they're giving it away to new purchasers? As I see it, you can continue to get free downloads for the touch (inc 1.1.3), but if you want to add these apps that were never mentioned before for the touch you can buy them for $20. I really can't understand what people are moaning about: It's $20 for God's sake, not $2000 and it gives you functionality that was never even hinted at through official channels.

Novataglio
Jan 15, 2008, 02:56 PM
SubliminalMac how have they let you attack people for seven pages?

xenotaku
Jan 15, 2008, 02:57 PM
are you serious with that?

yeh, i dont own one, how would I know. Their website says nothing about ical integration.

RedDragon870503
Jan 15, 2008, 02:57 PM
I don't think a lot of people will pay for this update;

I do not have detailed demographic data, obviously, but a HUGE number of high school age and college age students received the Touch for christmas.

Do you think we are going to see a large number of these people dropping twenty dollars on a month old gift for features that are free to anyone with half a brain and an internet connection?

Never.

viccles
Jan 15, 2008, 02:58 PM
Gee I'm in a pickle of whether to restore and upgrade and pay for the apps and not have to worry about jailbreaking etc or just leave my ipod jailbroken. I'll wait and see what transpires

dmaxdmax
Jan 15, 2008, 02:58 PM
It all makes sense now.... Im leasing my iPod Touch from apple for a one time charge.

why do people this retarded even know how to post....JEEZ

I didn't call anyone names - I may be retarded but I'm not offensive.

Apple has the right to charge whatever they want and you have the right to not buy. You also have the ability to steal it and I assume they take this into account when making their pricing decisions.

jonathanjong
Jan 15, 2008, 02:59 PM
One more comment on people who think our dissatisfaction is unjustified. When the iPhone and iPod Touch was released, everyone realized that the key word was potential. Jobs admitted as much. No physical buttons = Endless possibilities. It was all software. Naturally, rightly or wrongly, consumers expected the iPhone and iPod Touch to get better and better with each update. That's what Apple has always done, after all, at no extra cost. When we bought Apple products in the past, we bought potential. We learnt by induction - and by Jobs cajoling us - that the same would obtain for the Touch. it didn't. Sure, Apple is not bound to give us anything for free, but that doesn't mean we can't be biffed. We had expectations and Apple failed to meet them. And so we're annoyed.

zepharus
$20 seems a bit rich... but I guess if I had a Touch I'd pay it.

Hmm Odd, My Touch seems to have these applications. Quite peculiar...

legacyb4
I think the thing to do is live with your jailbroken/non-jailbroken Touches until the release of the SDK and re-evaluate your situation then.

If the SDK offers a bona-fide method of adding other applications (themes, games, etc.) then it might be worth giving up on the jailbreaking route so that your Touch is forward-compatible as much as possible. If the SDK really is nothing more than repackaged Javascript apps (as some people speculate), then stick with the jailbreaking route.

Either way, this sets a bad precedent for future Apple devices that are 100% software based; if you happen to buy a non-profit generating device, be ready to pay for incremental upgrades.

Agathon
Jan 15, 2008, 03:00 PM
If you want to steal it go right ahead but be honest about your dishonest act. If you think it isn't "stealing" just ask an Apple rep. They own it so they get to decide. It's the same as "I'm not cheating on my wife if all we do is hold hands." All you have to do is ask your wife - if she thinks that equates to cheating than cheating it is.

Except they don't. The internet rule is that end users get to decide, whatever Apple or any other corporation thinks. If they don't like it, then they can cry more. Welcome to the new jailbroken world.

Whining like this is pointless. Companies have no real power over what we do with their stuff. Get used to it.

zedsdead
Jan 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
As I put in the iPhone thread, I do not understand why they chose the iPhone Dock over the Leopard Style iPod Touch Dock...I really wanted it on my iPhone...I really wanted it, but not a big deal.

Agathon
Jan 15, 2008, 03:03 PM
I didn't call anyone names - I may be retarded but I'm not offensive.

Apple has the right to charge whatever they want and you have the right to not buy. You also have the ability to steal it and I assume they take this into account when making their pricing decisions.

In cyberspace, such claims are pointless. Whine as much as you like. If people want to jailbreak their iPods and download whatever apps they like, neither you nor Apple can stop them. So cry more.

agentkow
Jan 15, 2008, 03:06 PM
So back to the features of the Touch: do iPod touch users get the ability to do web clips? I keep seeing it as a new feature of the iPhone, but this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8if8bGNwZo) would seem to suggest otherwise as there are a ton of icons on the screen...

macfan881
The only thing i would pay for is if we can download Images to photos and can we have Yahoo push mail on ipod touch?

genereyes
...or not, that is the question...

I'm an early adopter. Bought rev A of the MacBook Pro back in 2006 and it is serving me quite well today (albeit running Leopard now, not Tiger).

HOWEVER...

Today's keynote does have me a little miffed. Maybe even pissed.

Why?

I preordered an Apple TV after last year's keynote. I remember it was delayed from Feb 07 to Mar 07, but I lived with that. And now, the price has dropped from $299 to $229. If iPhone users can get (some) store credit after the price drop for the SAME hardware, why not early adopters of Apple TV?

And, of course, this iPod touch update... Got mine a couple weeks after it was announced. Lived without the calendar add/edit functionality first, and was glad that was given free in an update. And I can understand why some of the apps that are on the iPhone could be charged for on an iPod touch. But first thing's first: other iPods have the Notes functionality already! Sure, read-only, but that's more than the iPod touch prior to today.

Granted, I love my iPod touch, and how it's keeping me satisfied until I get an iPhone (which will be next month). But moves like this, charging for relatively minor updates that had already been developed and deployed... ARGH!!! :mad:

sananda
Jan 15, 2008, 03:07 PM
you sir are ignorant

why do people this retarded even know how to post....JEEZ

your posts are offensive; i don't think you should post in this forum.

millypede
Jan 15, 2008, 03:08 PM
Easy solution, take iPod touch back to Apple Store, Apple Repair centre, new iPod Touch with new iPod Touch software fresh from Apple.

It has to be said though for all the iPods that I have in stock at the moment customers will expect the newest and best in the box already, I have enough problems with people who have "issues" with downloading the free updates to their current iPods.

ErikCLDR
Jan 15, 2008, 03:12 PM
Screw apple why should I have to pay for an update?

ALoLA
Jan 15, 2008, 03:14 PM
I don't own an iPod touch, but I'm about to recommend one to a friend. First, as a previous poster noted, Apple doesn't charge for iPhone and Apple TV "updates" because the cost is factored in over time. Second, these "updates" to the iPod touch are actually *new* features. "Updates" to existing functionality (security or otherwise) are free and will continue to be. But you need to pay for "new" functionality. It's like buying new software for your Mac. Your iPod touch will work fine without the new "programs". It's your choice to buy the new software or not. And, finally, as other posters have noted, Apple is required to charge for adding new functionality (S-Ox). Otherwise, the government (and sue-happy shareholders) will start breathing down their neck.

moonzilla
Jan 15, 2008, 03:14 PM
They said in the keynote that maps for iphone will use cell towers AND wifi hotspots, touch will only use the wifi hotspots. therefore porting maps from iphone will work on ipod touch. i give them 2 days before the upgrades to mail and maps are on applerepo.com

sorry if i missed this, but what update is the mail app getting?

Phil A.
Jan 15, 2008, 03:15 PM
Easy solution, take iPod touch back to Apple Store, Apple Repair centre, new iPod Touch with new iPod Touch software fresh from Apple.

It has to be said though for all the iPods that I have in stock at the moment customers will expect the newest and best in the box already, I have enough problems with people who have "issues" with downloading the free updates to their current iPods.

The new iPod touch will include 1.1.3 but probably not the apps - they are being packaged separately from updates as a $20 extra. Want the update and not the apps - not a problem, just download it for free. If you want the apps, drop $20 or break the law: the choice is yours

morespce54
Jan 15, 2008, 03:16 PM
Unlucky is more like it. And I'm not as miffed as I could be. I didn't invest much time into jailbreaking, and although my mail app doesn't work, going to the mobile yahoo site works just as fine. Now, if there was a NEW touch introduced, or was being talked about....I would have held off buying. This is sorta different.

That's what I tough! ;):D

Mr.damien
Jan 15, 2008, 03:16 PM
I don't own an iPod touch, but I'm about to recommend one to a friend. First, as a previous poster noted, Apple doesn't charge for iPhone and Apple TV "updates" because the cost is factored in over time. Second, these "updates" to the iPod touch are actually *new* features. "Updates" to existing functionality (security or otherwise) are free and will continue to be. But you need to pay for "new" functionality. It's like buying new software for your Mac. Your iPod touch will work fine without the new "programs". It's your choice to buy the new software or not. And, finally, as other posters have noted, Apple is required to charge for adding new functionality (S-Ox). Otherwise, the government (and sue-happy shareholders) will start breathing down their neck.
Good sheep. :D

aswitcher
Jan 15, 2008, 03:17 PM
Very happy with the new features, disappointed with the price...and the price drop of the model as well.

laokai
Jan 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
I just called the Apple sales number listed on their website and spoke with a sales dude. He said that anyone who purchased a Touch after Dec 27 would be eligible to get the upgrades for free.

I just ordered mine today as soon as I heard about the new apps---thought others might be interested to know. I'll post more when I get my Touch tomorrow and figure out how to get the apps w/o paying 20 bucks. Otherwise, it goes right back to Amazon.

milatchi
Jan 15, 2008, 03:20 PM

Again just 20 bucks. Again no ones forcing you. And you can jailbreak if you don't feel apple should charge for something like this and get it for free. Just stop whining at every move of Apple.

Tell you what, why don't you just send me $20 to pay for it on my iPod Touch? After all, it's "Just 20 bucks." You'll be happy because you'll have proven yourself right that $20 is insignificant, and I'll (the rest of us in principle) will be happy because I (the MacRumors community, in principle) got the update.

crmdcrn
Jan 15, 2008, 03:21 PM
I think you fail to see the bigger picture of why people are upset.

the bigger picture of $20? yeah, I fail to see that too.

a company is asking me to pay for a product? wow. there are lost so instances in the market place in which a feature is free on model and for a price on another. Sure, these apps are free on the iPhone but I'm also not paying $80+ per month to AT&T to use them either. Would i rather pay $20 to get them or a lot more to use them every month? hmmmmmmm?

aaquib
Jan 15, 2008, 03:24 PM
Link to keynote:

http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/jan/f27853y2/m_972345688g_350_ref.mov

Choppaface
Jan 15, 2008, 03:25 PM
bad move, as bad as record companies!! people see the ipod software as free with the ipod, and should get free maintenance. this update will (and probably "should") get pirated like crazy. BAD. BUSINESS. MODEL.

mndeaves
Jan 15, 2008, 03:26 PM
Applied the iPod Touch update, then bought the apps. iTunes told me to plug the ipod back in to install the apps, did this, nothing happened even after syncing and then restoring the Touch.

Anyone else had this? My iTunes UK account reports that I have purchased the Apps.

RedDragon870503
Jan 15, 2008, 03:26 PM
the bigger picture of $20? yeah, I fail to see that too.

a company is asking me to pay for a product? wow. there are lost so instances in the market place in which a feature is free on model and for a price on another. Sure, these apps are free on the iPhone but I'm also not paying $80+ per month to AT&T to use them either. Would i rather pay $20 to get them or a lot more to use them every month? hmmmmmmm?

Again, you fail to see why people are upset.

Also, I am not saying this anger is justified; just giving explanation.

It is the principle of punishment for early adaptation of a product.

Would you happily pay for a firmware update on your desktop computer that unlocked the full potential of your processor even though you already paid full price for the product?

Of course you wouldn't.

That is why incremental software updates, and yes, I do see this as an incremental update, are always free from apple.

jayducharme
Jan 15, 2008, 03:28 PM
If you're as annoyed as I am about this... register your discontent with this obnoxious practice here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipodtouch.html

Thanks for the link. I did send them feedback. I too am upset that as an early adopter I'm being punished by Apple. I can see if all Touch buyers had to pay an extra premium for these apps. But to give it free to new Touch buyers seems unnecessarily cruel to those who supported Apple before the extra goodies.

tb2me
Jan 15, 2008, 03:31 PM
One more comment on people who think our dissatisfaction is unjustified. When the iPhone and iPod Touch was released, everyone realized that the key word was potential. Jobs admitted as much. No physical buttons = Endless possibilities. It was all software. Naturally, rightly or wrongly, consumers expected the iPhone and iPod Touch to get better and better with each update. That's what Apple has always done, after all, at no extra cost. When we bought Apple products in the past, we bought potential. We learnt by induction - and by Jobs cajoling us - that the same would obtain for the Touch. it didn't. Sure, Apple is not bound to give us anything for free, but that doesn't mean we can't be biffed. We had expectations and Apple failed to meet them. And so we're annoyed.

Exactly. Apple gives free updates of OSX, iLife, and all their other software to anyone who purchases an Apple computer for the life of the machine. (I just received the my Leopard upgrade for my original Bondi Blue iMac. I can't install it, but they keep sending me all this free software!) Why should the iPod Touch be any different? You pay a one-time hardware fee, and then any and all software is free forever, right?

/dev/toaster
Jan 15, 2008, 03:33 PM
Although I don't own an iPod touch, I think that $20 for the upgrade is a big kick in the teeth from Apple.

Its already an expensive device, there is no reason on earth they should charge for the upgrade. Sure, its only $20 ... but thats still expensive for what it gives you.

crmdcrn
Jan 15, 2008, 03:35 PM
Again, you fail to see why people are upset.
It is the principle of punishment for early adaptation of a product.
That is why incremental software updates, and yes, I do see this as an incremental update, are always free from apple.

Yes, i'm failing miserably. An incremental update is an update of an app or OS I already paid for. These are apps Apple never intended to put on the Touch. I bought my Touch knowing full well that the apps were not there and hoping they'd come along as freebees. So, I'm out of luck. But the product I bought doe EXACTLY what it was supposed to do when I bought it. No one lied to me. Now I want to add functionality it did not have. Am I disappointed that i have to pay? Sure. Angry? No. Outraged? Of course not.

WolfgangK
Jan 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
Anyone notice that they've changed the dock to match the iPhone?! Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in the thread...

But this really sucks! I really prefer the "Leopard" look of the iPod Touch dock to the iPhone's.

:(

aaquib
Jan 15, 2008, 03:37 PM
I just called the Apple sales number listed on their website and spoke with a sales dude. He said that anyone who purchased a Touch after Dec 27 would be eligible to get the upgrades for free.

I just ordered mine today as soon as I heard about the new apps---thought others might be interested to know. I'll post more when I get my Touch tomorrow and figure out how to get the apps w/o paying 20 bucks. Otherwise, it goes right back to Amazon.

Did he say how??? I bought one after the 27th and want the apps!

KindredMAC
Jan 15, 2008, 03:40 PM
Holy cow. I knew the whiners would be out on this one but this is getting down right funny.

Come on people.... the iPod Touch is NOT an iPhone. If you wanted those apps so bad then you should have bought an iPhone. Plain and Simple.

Let me tell you something, I fully expect to pay $49 at least for the next big version of the iPhone OS. Why? Because I do not expect Apple to give me new features for free.

These features were not an iPod Touch feature so deal with it.

EdwardO87
Jan 15, 2008, 03:41 PM
Can anyone maybe help me out with the size of the applications download? I'm asking because my internet is capped... Thanks.

rjstelling
Jan 15, 2008, 03:44 PM
Applied the iPod Touch update, then bought the apps. iTunes told me to plug the ipod back in to install the apps, did this, nothing happened even after syncing and then restoring the Touch.

Anyone else had this? My iTunes UK account reports that I have purchased the Apps.

Exactly the same happened to me - tried a hard reset, even downloaded the update again, all that happened was I got charged twice for the update.

Does 1.1.3 give you home screen organization features? I don't have that feature and my iPod says it's on version 1.1.3.

Mr.damien
Jan 15, 2008, 03:44 PM
Holy cow. I knew the whiners would be out on this one but this is getting down right funny.

Come on people.... the iPod Touch is NOT an iPhone. If you wanted those apps so bad then you should have bought an iPhone. Plain and Simple.

Let me tell you something, I fully expect to pay $49 at least for the next big version of the iPhone OS. Why? Because I do not expect Apple to give me new features for free.

Mac zealot spotted. Get a brain please.

jonathanjong
Jan 15, 2008, 03:46 PM
Second, these "updates" to the iPod touch are actually *new* features. "Updates" to existing functionality (security or otherwise) are free and will continue to be. But you need to pay for "new" functionality. It's like buying new software for your Mac. Your iPod touch will work fine without the new "programs". It's your choice to buy the new software or not.

This is a good point, actually. Which is why I'm not sure we can accuse Apple for being "wrong", just not particularly nice to its avid fans. Many of us bought the iPod Touch anticipating more Apple goodness in the near future via firmware updates. As I said earlier, Jobs seemed to condone this assumption. Add that to the fact that jailbreaking your iPod gives you what this new pack does (and then some), and what you get is a perplexing business decision.

Finally, many have argued that we shouldn't whine and moan because what we do with our iPod Touches are within our control. This is true, but only to some extent. For most, the temptation to get "original" firmware is very, very powerful. And as one can easily observe, many people who whine and moan still give in. We have much less freedom than we think (and not just in this context, but that's a different story).

Once again: Refrain from paying! Viva la jailbreak (and wait for the SDK)!

crmdcrn
Jan 15, 2008, 03:47 PM

Absolutely!

DaBrain
People are spewing venom all over the Apple discussions board.
And Apple is deleting threads left and right.

Ever since Apple gave the iPhone $200 or whatever rebate, The genie was let out of the bottle.

The thing that is stupid here is:

Buy an iTouch say 2 months ago for $399 and you don't get the apps, now pay an extra $20

Buy the exact same iTouch now for $399 and get the apps included! No $20 extra!

Go figure! Must be Apples way of thanking all the early adopters!--)))

Now compare with:

Buy an Apple TV say 6 months ago and upgrade it's software to Apple TV 2, no charge!

Hmmmm makes a lot of sense to me! Yeah right!

Oh well live and learn. Never will I be an early adopter--)))))))

Comment accepted. But now, how can I download it? I don't have an iTunes Store in my country. I do have an Apple Online Store though, why can't they sell it trough there?:(

apple101
Jan 15, 2008, 03:48 PM
I have a question, I just downloaded the new sofrware update form itunes and for some reason i dont see the update on my itunes does anybody know whats going on here.

and here are some thing that i tried all ready, i tried to 'check for purchsed' and nothing happend. can some someone help me?

IJ Reilly
Jan 15, 2008, 03:49 PM

Exactly. I bought this iPod for what it could do at the time I bought it. Free would have been nice, but $20 for these added applications isn't too much. And if I thought it was too much, I would not buy it.

RedDragon870503
Jan 15, 2008, 03:50 PM
Yes, i'm failing miserably. An incremental update is an update of an app or OS I already paid for. These are apps Apple never intended to put on the Touch. I bought my Touch knowing full well that the apps were not there and hoping they'd come along as freebees. So, I'm out of luck. But the product I bought doe EXACTLY what it was supposed to do when I bought it. No one lied to me. Now I want to add functionality it did not have. Am I disappointed that i have to pay? Sure. Angry? No. Outraged? Of course not.

If Apple would have said today; we are releasing a new 32gb and 16gb iPod Touch for half the price I would have said, "dang, I guess that is the price of early adaptation.... That's technology"

What they are doing is different then that.

They are saying. "After today, we are going to include all these applications that should have been included to start with to people who waited to buy their iPod touches. Oh, and it is for 20 dollars for people who bought early... forget you!"

It is exactly like making me pay for 10.5.1 or a firmware update for my iMac.

I would like to say though, you do make an excellent point... these are not applications I originally payed for, thus this is not 'technically' an update.

That said, I still feel cheated.

miker51
Jan 15, 2008, 03:51 PM

Same thing happened to me.

dmaxdmax
Jan 15, 2008, 03:51 PM
Oh well live and learn. Never will I be an early adopter--)))))))

You said it! Neither will I!
(Until I really really want something.)

stoutboy1
Jan 15, 2008, 03:52 PM

If it were that plain it would be fine charge all touch owners not just those that have already got one. make it a program everyone buys and Im fine with it. Like you said its not an update so charge everyone. dont give it free to some. thats retarded logic.:mad:

Prof.
Jan 15, 2008, 03:52 PM
I am absolutely thrilled about the iPod touch update. It was $20.00 well spent.:D

brinycbri
Jan 15, 2008, 03:54 PM
its 20 bucks people, if you cant afford that, you shouldn't have bought a touch in the first place

a kick in the teeth? damn, i understand the iphone guys who got screwed by the price job, but 20 bucks? give me a brea

dukebound85
Jan 15, 2008, 03:56 PM
the solution is to not give them to any touch users at all and have everyone have to pay to get them or just give them to all touch users free

Chris F
$20 for apps that ship FREE on the iPhone AND required ZERO porting effort is unbelievably greedy.

Between this and Time Capsule screwing over AEBS + airdisk owners I am seriously starting to questions Apples motivation.

WolfgangK
...Apple has even updated all of their iPod Touch image galleries to reflect the new home screen stuff.

Looks like the iPod Touch transparent-dock is gone. :(

dukebound85
Jan 15, 2008, 03:57 PM
its 20 bucks people, if you cant afford that, you shouldn't have bought a touch in the first place

a kick in the teeth? damn, i understand the iphone guys who got screwed by the price job, but 20 bucks? give me a brea

where do you draw the line?

im worried the sdk will now mean all apps will have to be paid for through apple.

tb2me
If Apple would have said today; we are releasing a new 32gb and 16gb iPod Touch for half the price I would have said, "dang, I guess that is the price of early adaptation.... That's technology"

What they are doing is different then that.

They are saying. "After today, we are going to include all these applications that should have been included to start with to people who waited to buy their iPod touches. Oh, and it is for 20 dollars for people who bought early... forget you!"

It is exactly like making me pay for 10.5.1 or a firmware update for my iMac.

I would like to say though, you do make an excellent point... these are not applications I originally payed for, thus this is not 'technically' an update.

That said, I still feel cheated.

It's more like making you pay for the 10.6 update for your iMac.

Which they will do. Even though people who buy the same iMac you have will get it for free.

pocketrockets
Ok, but here's my question:

How will this affect the coming of SDK for iPod Touch in February? Will we need to buy this upgrade to install 3rd party apps, i.e., without the ability to have "multiple" desktops? What's going to happen? I appreciate your comments.

freestyleguy128
Jan 15, 2008, 03:58 PM
Haha... yeah right I'll pay 20 bucks for five programs that can be downloaded for free to the iTouch in under 30 minutes if you know what you're doing with jailbreak...Apple is practically begging us to jailbreak our iPods now.

ImNoSuperMan
Jan 15, 2008, 03:59 PM
Tell you what, why don't you just send me $20 to pay for it on my iPod Touch? After all, it's "Just 20 bucks." You'll be happy because you'll have proven yourself right that $20 is insignificant, and I'll (the rest of us in principle) will be happy because I (the MacRumors community, in principle) got the update.

Where did I imply 20 bucks is insignificant. Read my posts. I said if you justify the price than buy the apps. Or else don't. A 300+ iPod is fine with you but a 20$ software upgrade ain't. You think apple is wrong. I also think exactly the same in this case. But all this whining bout 20$ bucks is really immature and childish.

You want me to send 20$ to you. Tell you what, I will. Out of sympathy. If only you prove to me that without these apps your ipod wont work the way you expected it to when you bought it. With your own money. Its one thing to say apple should've made these apps free and quite another to demand it free. Better enjoy what you have than crying bout what you dont(which in this case is a 20$ software upgrade for some media player)

I seriously wish Apple doesnt do anything bout it. Though i think they will either make it cheaper or even free in the end. I seriously hope they decide against any such descision.

BTW Mods please lock this thread. There is nothing but rubbish going on here All the whiners please go and register ur complaint at apple and beg for 20$.

HackBook
Jan 15, 2008, 04:01 PM
Sheesh - what is your problem Apple? Screwing around with the early adopters is NOT a good idea - it was those guys that helped promote your products to friends and colleagues!

On the subject of the 1.1.3 Touch update - why charge for the iPhone apps? You've just shot yourselves in the foot and, if anything, made MORE people jailbreak their Touches! So far as I can see, the only so called "benefits" of the 1.1.3 update over 1.1.2 is the ability to add shortcuts on the home screen. Yee ha - that's a feature we've all been crying out for, isnt it? Lyrics is a good idea in theory, but it's also a bit pointless.

I jailbroke my iPod touch and wll probably keep it at 1.1.1 for the whole time I own it, unless Apple releases some new features that the end user will actually use, rather than marketing gimmicks.

It seems to me like Apple took a leaf out of Archos' book - that was one helluva bad move!

[/rant]

triceretops
Jan 15, 2008, 04:08 PM

Well, since I bought mine on December 28th and the software won't load, I guess I should get my money back.

chubad
Jan 15, 2008, 04:09 PM
What a money grub Apple. Sheesh. You could throw a bone to the folks who supported you once in a while. I guess with only 15 billion in the bank the coffers needed some additional filling. Bad move. Look at the negative votes on this one!!
:rolleyes:

mrzippy
Jan 15, 2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah. Angry. Like having to fork out an extra $5.52 for the privilege of living in the UK :mad: its not like there's import taxes to pay for

God those sort of price comparisons really annoy me.

We do pay tax on it, VAT. So with the exchange rate and VAT (17.5% sales tax) the £13 would be almost spot on, Ok about 50p ($1ish) out.

Which I'm sure is to make the price a around number.

US items do not include sales tax like in europe!

Cloudane
Jan 15, 2008, 04:17 PM
Well well, even without the paid update we now get the iPhone style dock haha...

They just need to do the same thing with Leopard and everyone will be happy :D

ImNoSuperMan
Jan 15, 2008, 04:18 PM
Comment accepted. But now, how can I download it? I don't have an iTunes Store in my country. I do have an Apple Online Store though, why can't they sell it trough there?:(

now thats one point to really whine about(if true). Apple is selling iPT globally. Now you cant get updates for the touch just coz your country doesn't have any iTunes store. Those people can't get the new apps even if they wanted to pay. This is something which should be complained about. Not 20 dollars.

Btw Roco, can you not buy an itunes gift voucher(off ebay) and use that to buy these apps. I've never tried it but it seems like an okay workaround. Not the best solution though. This is how i was hoping I'd buy apps for my iPhone if I find something worth paying for(hopefully those apps will run on an unlocked iPhone)

tutubibi
Jan 15, 2008, 04:19 PM
$20 for apps that ship FREE on the iPhone AND required ZERO porting effort is unbelievably greedy.

Between this and Time Capsule screwing over AEBS + airdisk owners I am seriously starting to questions Apples motivation.

Apple is just another greedy corporation trying to make money :D
At least they had some class before :(

Picks
Jan 15, 2008, 04:20 PM
Ok...

I downloaded this update again and again because it simply didn't do anything. Stupidly assuming that I wasn't going to get charged again and again... How wrong was I!

Turns out I have no software update and have a bill over a £100!

I'm so annoyed about this - having to pay £12 in the first place for software that should have already been on the iPod Touch right from the start is just ridiculous. Then after you pay for it it doesn't work... Not happy at all.

Thanks Apple.

realgenius
Jan 15, 2008, 04:28 PM

Me too. I paid, sync'ed and still same-old, same-old.

The "Report a Problem" link in the iTunes store takes you to a generic itunes FAQ page. :(

nintendojones
Jan 15, 2008, 04:30 PM
For those of us who still can't buy the iPhone because ATT doesn't have coverage in our area, the touch is the best answer. And this is a screw-job, at least right now, because if you don't pay for the upgrade you not only don't get the iPhone apps but you don't get an editable home screen or web clipping. So the 1.1.3 firmware is useless without paying $20. Wait I guess you get a different looking dock.

hampy
Jan 15, 2008, 04:30 PM
Where did I imply 20 bucks is insignificant. Read my posts. I said if you justify the price than buy the apps. Or else don't. A 300+ iPod is fine with you but a 20$ software upgrade ain't. You think apple is wrong. I also think exactly the same in this case. But all this whining bout 20$ bucks is really immature and childish.

BTW Mods please lock this thread. There is nothing but rubbish going on here All the whiners please go and register ur complaint at apple and beg for 20$.

No wonder you want the thread locked, the logic here won't stand up to scrutiny. So because the iPod cost $300-$400, the people who paid all that cash -- in my case, as a present for my wife this Christmas -- should feel OK about paying a mere $20 to get Mail? Do you know what the profit margin is on an iPod? I don't think it would hurt Apple to add these apps, which should have been on the Touch in the first place, without fleecing customers who've already paid a big sum which has comfortably lined Apple's pockets. We're not talking about Sony and the PS3 here, no-one's arguing that Apple sold the Touch (or the Phone) at a loss to build the customer base. Apple made a ton of money from these products, now they're trying to take down customers for an app like Mail that they've always given away free in OS X. For a corporation sitting on $15bn of cash, at least some of it generated by the pricey iPod Touch, it's very poor indeed.

$1.99, like the n update, maybe... if you can come up with some crazy Sarbannes-Oxley rationale. But $20 is just insulting.

stoutboy1
Jan 15, 2008, 04:40 PM
It's more like making you pay for the 10.6 update for your iMac.

Which they will do. Even though people who buy the same iMac you have will get it for free.

Are you serious? Its not the same at all... It's like buying an imac then the next day they sale that same imac with apeture included at the same price. The ipod touch owners are getting screwed. It's not a promotion, they're giving it away, its not an upgrade its new software. To save face they should charge everyone or no one.

you touch owners got screwed by :apple:

dreamworks21
Jan 15, 2008, 04:41 PM
Hey my name is Sean -

I just downloaded the apple software upgrade for the iPod Touch (the $20 upgrade) and i connected my iPod, followed the directions (which said to sync it with iTunes) and the apps still are not on the touch. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sean

CompUSAMacNerd
Jan 15, 2008, 04:48 PM
OK, So.. I decided to pay the 20 bucks because I really don't care about the money, and I'd love the apps.

So, I get the new iTunes update, I get the new ipod 1.1.3 update. Then I buy the program.

Nothing, so I synch it like 10 times and still nothing.

I call Apple Care. Guy #1 says: Restore your iPod and after you do that, everything should pop up. OK, so I restore it. Nothing happened. No new icons. No way to figure out how to play with it.

Call again.

Guy #2 says, "Watch the video on the iPod touch website and it will walk you through it." "OK, what video?" I watch the original video just for laughs and it's not updated or anything. I also get hung up on during the 'please hold' phase. He didn't sound like he spoke good english either, which was frustrating. :(

So, do I call a third time or call in the morning? Is ANYONE actually getting this to WORK and if so , what did you do? Email me at: JasonAisling@mac.com I would love to hear how you did it. Maybe I"m doing something wrong, I dunno.

Thanks for your time.

booshtukka
Jan 15, 2008, 04:50 PM

Very off-topic, but, dude - that's your son you're talking about. If he's spoilt, it's because someone spoiled him... My one year old doesn't behave like that, and neither does my three year old.

Okay. Back to apple.

ALoLA
Jan 15, 2008, 05:01 PM
If Apple was really out to screw everyone, they'd charge for every *new* feature added. They don't in some cases because they are not required to. In this case, I'm fairly certain that regulatory requirements compel them to charge something and it has to be appropriate for what is being added (i.e. it can't be just $2, like the 802.11n update, because it adds more functionality). We need someone to quote the actual requirement from the law to finally put this one to rest.

Anyway, the bottom line is that early adopters bought their devices, whether it be iPhone, iPod, or iMac, at the time for the features that were present on the device at the time. If you're going to be an early adopter, you run the risk of missing out on later functionality for the privilege of having/using the device first. If you don't want to take that chance, don't be an early adopter and wait for revision B. No one is forcing you to buy in early. No one is forcing you to buy the new functionality now. I have been caught in the early adopter conundrum myself, but I accepted the consequences because I accepted the risk.

vwDavid
Jan 15, 2008, 05:02 PM
YAh, so as asked previously, what precedent does this set for SDK? Are we going to have to buy a $65 app just to load 3rd party developed apps on our iPhones?

Well if SDK is free then I should be able to load iPhone apps onto my ipod touch w/o jailbreaking right? That would really cause the $20 spenders some consternation.

I bet apple will be charging for the app to load 3rd party apps. Looks like iPod touch does not promote subscription or rental income for Apple. I wonder if this is a precedent for OS updates etc....

Antares
The 5 applications are obviously not already loaded onto the iPod Touches that already packaged and sitting in stores. Here's my theory on how the free applications will work:

Remember when you first registered your Touch? .....You get a welcome screen in iTunes that offers you a free download of a tv show, a free music video and a free song. Well, when you register your iPod Touch now, you'll probably also be offered a download of the applications for free. That's the only way that this will work other than getting a code from Apple to enter into iTunes.

If they go the code route, it will work in the same way that the various other iTunes promo codes work...enter a code and songs tied to the code will automatically download into iTunes. Only now, the apps will download instead of songs.

Btw Roco, can you not buy an itunes gift voucher(off ebay) and use that to buy these apps. I've never tried it but it seems like an okay workaround. Not the best solution though.

It should work. I have purchased from the iTunes Store with gift card I bought at the US. Problem is I don't have plan currently to go tot he US.

As for eBay, how does this works? They send you a key-code to get your iTunes credit?

Is it possible to buy gift cards from Amazon? Apple Store?

I'll see if I can find a gift card in my city, if not hopefully Apple would make the download available from Apple.com.:(

HelixOmnimedia
Jan 15, 2008, 05:04 PM
Ok...

I also gritted my teeth and grudged paying the £12.99... then now regret it.

Why?

Stocks - honestly but I don't care

Maps - USA Only! Have I missed something, do I need to touch something that makes it work in the UK? I tried searching, but nothing.

Weather - Ok, that's a nice feature to have.

Notes - now that's cool to have, but not worth £12.99.

Mail - I can't get it setup. I have a BT.com account, but its not recognising anything... anyone else have this problem or could someone let me know how to set it up.

The Wiggle and rearranging icons is cool.

electronboy
Jan 15, 2008, 05:05 PM
Hmm... $20 Upgrade fee to add applications to iPod touch that were likely developed and given free to iPhone owners. Makes me GLAD that I did NOT purchase any iPod for the holidays. :cool:

Teddy's
Jan 15, 2008, 05:08 PM
Hey my name is Sean -

I just downloaded the apple software upgrade for the iPod Touch (the $20 upgrade) and i connected my iPod, followed the directions (which said to sync it with iTunes) and the apps still are not on the touch. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sean

OK, So.. I decided to pay the 20 bucks because I really don't care about the money, and I'd love the apps.

So, I get the new iTunes update, I get the new ipod 1.1.3 update. Then I buy the program.

Nothing, so I synch it like 10 times and still nothing.

Go Jailbreak! NOW!

stoutboy1
Jan 15, 2008, 05:11 PM
If Apple was really out to screw everyone, they'd charge for every *new* feature added. They don't in some cases because they are not required to. In this case, I'm fairly certain that regulatory requirements compel them to charge something and it has to be appropriate for what is being added (i.e. it can't be just $2, like the 802.11n update, because it adds more functionality). We need someone to quote the actual requirement from the law to finally put this one to rest.

Anyway, the bottom line is that early adopters bought their devices, whether it be iPhone, iPod, or iMac, at the time for the features that were present on the device at the time. If you're going to be an early adopter, you run the risk of missing out on later functionality for the privilege of having/using the device first. If you don't want to take that chance, don't be an early adopter and wait for revision B. No one is forcing you to buy in early. No one is forcing you to buy the new functionality now. I have been caught in the early adopter conundrum myself, but I accepted the consequences because I accepted the risk.

Why can Microsoft Update date the Zune at no cost?
Why did they update the iphone with new features at no cost?

It's not a legal issue.

APPLENEWBIE
Jan 15, 2008, 05:11 PM
I think it's odd that the Apple TV gets a s**tload of new features and that software upgrade is FREE. But iPod Touch gets features that aren't really new, and it costs $20? I guess the Apple TV updates are going to be subsidized by the movie rental costs.

Uh, the difference is that apple sells a s***load of ipod touch's and relatively few appleTV's. The market will bear a $20 upgrade to ipod touch. Apple is still trying to popularize the appleTV, so it is being careful about it's pricing... don't give people a new reason not to buy it. We're gonna buy all the ipod touch's they can make...

jonathanjong
Jan 15, 2008, 05:16 PM
Anyway, the bottom line is that early adopters bought their devices, whether it be iPhone, iPod, or iMac, at the time for the features that were present on the device at the time.

This is an empirical hypothesis, and I think it is false. It'll take a larger sample size to know for sure, but many people i know who bought the iPhone and iPodTouch didn't buy them "for the features that were present." They, or I should say "we", were buying these products for the potential. And again, Jobs fueled out expectations. The iPod Touch and iPhone are not like regular pieces of hardware; here the future was more open than ever before. I do worry that the post-SDK 3rd party apps will require this $20 pack...but hopefully it'll just require the free 1.1.3 update.