Jan 15, 2008, 01:14 PM
now that we know the specs

Billy Bob
Jan 15, 2008, 01:14 PM

hell no!

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 01:15 PM
My answer's always been no. I've never needed an MBA. My current Macbook does just fine...

aaronw1986
Jan 15, 2008, 01:26 PM
I'll stick with my MBP and add a MP.

biturbomunkie
Jan 15, 2008, 01:27 PM
considering dell m1330 and eee, thank you SJ.

Cybergypsy
Bought 2 one high end and one low :) for a friend :)

thechidz
I wouldnt mind if this brings down the price of blackbooks. I wouldnt mind gettin me a sexy new little blackbook:cool:

marclapierre13
Jan 15, 2008, 01:29 PM
Not in my life.

Id rather get a MB and save some cash, or upgrade to a faster MBP for just a little more.

The MBP and MB are thin enough for me. I mean really, when Im sliding it into my bag, I dont care about a few CMs more space. The one advantage it has IMO is WEIGHT. It is nice and light. But why would I pay MORE for that! It should be like $200 cheaper than the MB IMO. I would consider it then, to be my portable daily machine. The price is the ridiculous part.

JudgeDanny
I love my MBP way too much :) I would have maybe thought a little more about it if it had a dedicated graphics card/chip :)

MidiMonk
No way!!!

marclapierre13
Jan 15, 2008, 01:30 PM

Apple thanks you for wasting your money :p

morethanblood
Jan 15, 2008, 01:31 PM
$1,799 for 1.6 GHz??? i don't value portability that much.

GSMiller
Jan 15, 2008, 01:34 PM
No, a regular MacBook will do just fine.

lucky3killer
Jan 15, 2008, 01:35 PM
No thanks

biturbomunkie
Jan 15, 2008, 01:36 PM

lookin to adopt? :)

noodle654
Jan 15, 2008, 01:38 PM
Don't need portability. I can careless about how thick it is. It lacks power/graphics card. MBP for me once new ones are announced.

Ironduke
Jan 15, 2008, 01:39 PM
noway.

all style no substance, its wonderful to look at I give it that, but apart from multitouch (which will probably come to all macbooks soon) it actually gives u less then the macbook

xparaparafreakx
Jan 15, 2008, 01:40 PM
I guess I am the only one that is going to buy it with a 90% of it being SSD. :(

Cybergypsy
Jan 15, 2008, 01:44 PM
The reason I bought them is my right arm is disabled from a accident, even though I have my macbook its a bit to heavy to carry around so anything lighter is a plus... I looked at the EEE pc but passed, my back is also messed up so a desktop is out, the things I did not like about the MBP is the keyboard and the latch, a bit tricky for me........so have the best of both worlds and if anyone wants my current model 2.2 macbook, let me know I will sell for a good price if you wait till i get my macbook Air :) I just carry it around the house a bit....

Sannekita
Jan 15, 2008, 01:45 PM
it's just plain useless. looks awesome yes, but only one USB... and a seperate superdrive? i don't think so

Cybergypsy
Jan 15, 2008, 01:47 PM
lookin to adopt? :)

always!

it's just plain useless. looks awesome yes, but only one USB... and a seperate superdrive? i don't think so

some of us do not use more then one :)

xparaparafreakx
Jan 15, 2008, 01:50 PM
always!

some of us do not use more then one :)

Some of us use no USB ports and only dvd drive for reinstall.

island
Jan 15, 2008, 01:56 PM
All I wanted was an ultra portable and this is it.

Perfecto!

EmDizzle
Jan 15, 2008, 02:05 PM
Just ordered refurbed MBP 2.2GHz online... I waited about three months to hear what Steve and the Gang were going to offer, and a regular ol' MBP will work better for me. I agree, it looks sexy, but not practical for a graphic designer like myself.

Luis Ortega
Jan 15, 2008, 02:06 PM
My feeling is that this model is going to be one of Apple's failures.
Too expensive for what it offers and way too small storage with either drive.
Having to cart along or attach external hard drives and dvd drives completely undermines the portability of the model.

Cybergypsy
Jan 15, 2008, 02:08 PM
Having to cart along or attach external hard drives and dvd drives completely undermines the portability of the model.

Like me some people like to use it at home and now with time cap. its all good!

ucfgrad93
Jan 15, 2008, 02:14 PM
No. I don't need an ultra-portable that is so limited.

byeehaaw
Jan 15, 2008, 02:15 PM
hell to the no!

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 02:16 PM
I wonder who the hell the loonies are who actually said yes to this

nylon
Jan 15, 2008, 02:17 PM
Great design but some major sacrifices for portability. HDD way to slow, no user replaceable battery, SSD not mainstream enough to be an affordable option. Not powerful enough.

This is kind of like the Sony OLED tv prototype that is at the bleeding edge of design. It's beautiful and showcases what's to come. I think I'll wait for the next revision of the Macbook.

Transeau
Jan 15, 2008, 02:19 PM
I'm going to be replacing my wife's BlackBook with an Air.

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 02:19 PM

You might be surprised, there are a lot of apple fans who will buy up anything that apples shoves down their throat.

Sean9689
Jan 15, 2008, 02:25 PM
No for me. Just bought a MBP last week and love it! The Air looks cool, but I paid less then what MSRP is on an Air for my refurbed MBP.

idunn
Jan 15, 2008, 02:34 PM
Apple may not lower the price of MBs anytime soon as this possibly cannibalize sales of the MBA, make it look all the less attractive performance and price wise.

Bern
Jan 15, 2008, 02:36 PM
No. It's not very useful to me and it's expensive. AUD 2,499

Ilovemygeek
Jan 15, 2008, 02:37 PM
No way no how.

Gunga Din
Jan 15, 2008, 02:38 PM
Apple thanks you for wasting your money :p

I agree, pointless product. I was hoping the rumors were wrong. Thinner, lighter ? Who cares, maybe 5 % of Mac Users

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
Currently, a Macbook bought for $1100 in 2006 will *still* be faster than an MBA bought in 2008 for $1800.

If they bump the processors at the same rate (.2ghz every six months), any Macbook bought in 2007 will continue to outperform any Macbook Air until at least 2009.

That's pretty neat.

robrose20
Jan 15, 2008, 02:42 PM
No freakin way. Can you say Apple III, Lisa, Newton and every other apple product that has hit the crapper rolled into one.

I love my MBP, fast, and I will use it for years to come. The MB Air is like taking a step back from a processing standpoint. Operating systems and software get progressively more complex over time, buying something that is as limited as the MB air would mean you would have to update your computer more frequently. Its total crap.

CWallace
Jan 15, 2008, 02:49 PM
Yes, because I already have a MacBook for when I need all the "power and the glory" so this will be for when I want something light and thin for travel, where I do not need the extra capabilities.

If it was to be my only portable, I would not buy it.

bigiffo
Jan 15, 2008, 02:51 PM
The MBA is cool, slim and will appeal to those who greatly value portability, but for the price they are asking, not many will buy it. The top-down dimensions are the same as the macbook. For the extra 500 bucks it isn't worth the extra 1/2 inch. If you prefer a lightweight laptop why not go for a cheaper windows option or a macbook?!

Pizzer
Jan 15, 2008, 02:52 PM
I think if it were priced BELOW a macbook it would be worth it. The same as the Macmini is over the iMac.

theman
Jan 15, 2008, 02:57 PM
it wont be the most popular product, but its there for people that want it...

also it gets apple into a new market, maybe more switchers.

sjobs@mac.com
Jan 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
It is great for what it is. Not quite the 12" PB replacement I had hoped for, but it looks great and "it is what we thought it was." :)

Personally, when I travel it is usually to present my work, so an ultra light ultraportable that will let me do that is great. I have realized that I bought a MB, when I should have bought an iMac or a MP. I am storing way too much music and video on the thing. If I had to do it over I would have bought an iMac or MP as my main computer, and this would fit the bill. I can't use my iPhone to manipulate ppt presentation or excel sheets comfortably, as well as plug into projectors and give presentations.

If any of you wan to make an offer on a 1 month old white MB 2.2GHz with 4GB RAM and a 200GB (7200RPM) HD, please PM me. ;)

Pizzer
Jan 15, 2008, 03:06 PM
I can't use my iPhone to manipulate ppt presentation or excel sheets comfortably, as well as plug into projectors and give presentations.

Not YET anyway!

sk8ordie
Jan 15, 2008, 03:08 PM
I voted no but I would consider it if it had a firewire port.

G.I. Joe
Jan 15, 2008, 03:09 PM
Altough it has some cool features it's a NO. I want the pro and there was no update. :mad:

Shaduu
Jan 15, 2008, 03:17 PM
'Fraid not as I don't think I could live with a 4,200rpm drive and my budget doesn't stretch to the price of the SSD version.

Damn you Apple for making such hawt product but pricing it way out of my league! *Shakes fist*

Octobot
Jan 15, 2008, 03:20 PM
No. I'm a pro user.. so it doesn't live up to my needs.

On a side note I think it looks nice closed, but ugly open (especially the black keyboard)

Wireless Buddy
Jan 15, 2008, 03:35 PM

I would have liked to see it be smaller, rather than so thin. I don't know, I haven't used one, but doesn't it look like it would break rather easily because it is so thin?

A slightly thicker 12" would have been more useful.

Cybergypsy
Jan 15, 2008, 03:39 PM
No. I'm a pro user.. so it doesn't live up to my needs.

On a side note I think it looks nice closed, but ugly open (especially the black keyboard)yea but it growing on me white gets so dirty and gray ok, but can live with it :( This will suit my needs till the next big thing hits....its only money!

j26
Jan 15, 2008, 03:40 PM
It's cool, but it's also overpriced, no user replaceable battery, battery life isn't long enough, and it still has the big bezel that the Macbook has (I have one and still can't get used to it)

I was very impressed initially, and before I looked at it carefully might have considered it, but on mature reflection, no, it's not for me.

Thinning down the bezel on the Macbook and maybe thinning it a little and encasing it in aluminium would have worked better for me. (A 13" MBP)

macmike47
Jan 15, 2008, 03:51 PM
IF I had an iMac (or Mac Pro), IF I needed a small portable computer occasionally for on the go, IF had money to burn, and IF I didn't already have a perfectly good SR MacBook, I may've been tempted by the MacBook Air.

paola105
Jan 15, 2008, 03:53 PM
It's nice but I'm sticking to my MBP. :D

xparaparafreakx
Jan 15, 2008, 03:55 PM
Man, I am buying one and getting bashed for getting one. It sounds like 2006 when I bought my PS3 and I was getting bashed for getting one. :(

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 03:57 PM
It's cool, but it's also overpriced, no user replaceable battery, battery life isn't long enough, and it still has the big bezel that the Macbook has (I have one and still can't get used to it)

I was very impressed initially, and before I looked at it carefully might have considered it, but on mature reflection, no, it's not for me.

Thinning down the bezel on the Macbook and maybe thinning it a little and encasing it in aluminium would have worked better for me. (A 13" MBP)

to me the lack of replaceable battery is more than enough to not consider this "notebook"

SamHernandez
Jan 15, 2008, 04:01 PM
I voted no, but I am not against the concept. I have a Thinkpad X-series and two Psion subnotebooks already.

It looks like a neat machine, actually.

Cybergypsy
Jan 15, 2008, 04:03 PM
Man, I am buying one and getting bashed for getting one. It sounds like 2006 when I bought my PS3 and I was getting bashed for getting one. :(
People said that about the 12"powerbook and the cube, which are the most sought after items ever....

I bought two and I am happy ;)

Cybergypsy
Jan 15, 2008, 04:04 PM
People said that about the 12"powerbook and the cube, which are the most sought after items ever....

I bought two and I am happy ;)

Blackberryroid
Aug 26, 2012, 12:10 AM
No, a regular MacBook will do just fine.

The White Polycarbonate MacBook is 3x slower than the lowest end MacBook Air, and it does't have Ivy Bridge, 1600MHz RAM, 500MB/S SSD.

Never underestimate the power of Ultrabooks.

tacomang
Aug 26, 2012, 12:15 AM
The White Polycarbonate MacBook is 2x slower than the lowest end MacBook Air, and it does't have Ivy Bridge, 1600MHz RAM, 500MB/S SSD.

Never underestimate the power of Ultrabooks.

Dude this thread is more than four years old, lol