PDA

View Full Version : First Look at the MacBook Air

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

MacRumors
Jan 15, 2008, 02:08 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

After the keynote, we rushed over to the MacBook Air. We will be adding more photos to this post shortly. Brief impressions

- It is quite light and thin
- Multi-touch seems to work well
- Multi-touch acts differently in different apps. Testing in iPhoto, Finder, Safari. In Safari, three-finger swip caused you to go Back and Forward in browser.
- Mac OS X 10.5.1
- Two DIMM slots
- 1 USB, 1 micro-DVI, an headphone. In drop-down panel... but does not appear to "collapse"
- Bright Display, Glossy

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/15/first-look-at-the-macbook-air/)

kkat69
Jan 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
Wow def looks good. Wife might want one.

It's to thin for me and what I do in my job. Seems more like a fad thing to have rather than a functional.

Business people on the go maybe, as a developer I can't use it :( Doesn't mean I wouldn't want one.

I say Good job Apple. For a first run at slim-line laptops it's def a step in the right direction.

Slip
Jan 15, 2008, 02:10 PM
More info here aswell http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/apple-macbook-air-first-hands-on/

PlaceofDis
sounds like an overall great machine for those who need max portability, but not max power.

Shacklebolt
Be sure to post overall final impressions, if you'd be so kind - there are a lot of underwhelmed MacRumors Users (again, not to be confused with MacRumorUser) right now, myself included. Plus - holy crap - the $1,300 price diff between the 80gig and the 64gig. Yikessss.

balamw
- Two DIMM slots

User accessible?

B

CWallace
Jan 15, 2008, 02:11 PM
I like it, but I am glad Apple offers the MacBook and the MacBook Pro, as well. Choice is good.

And I look forward to the update to those latter two models as soon as Intel either starts shipping mobile Penryns or come May when the new Montevina CPU comes out.

lorductape
Jan 15, 2008, 02:11 PM
disregarding the price- this new machine looks phenomenal.

iliketomac
Jan 15, 2008, 02:12 PM
As a first hands-on impression, is it worth $1799? (or less with either an education or gov't dscount)!

Dreamer2go
love this new name
I dig the new Macbook Air

but I'll be sticking with Macbook Pro...suits my lifestyle more :D

I'm glad there is no new updates to the MBP yet....I still feel new :p

zedsdead

I had a cap of $1299...damn shame too, I really want one...next year, when they update it again maybe.

homeboy
Sleek and thin but unfortunately the foot print is too big. No where as ultra portable as Asusand Sony's 12 inch laptops.

JackAxe
Jan 15, 2008, 02:13 PM
Nifty.

I was hoping for something that would effect the price of the other portables.

<]=)

gkarris
Jan 15, 2008, 02:13 PM
User accessible?

B

According to the Apple store they are on-board. The protos had the slots though...

Slip
Jan 15, 2008, 02:17 PM

Agreed. When its viewed from the front with the lid shut the rounded edges look quite like the Motorola PEBL

Ember Whimsy
This one is perfect for me. I've never wanted a laptop in my life because of the size, whenever I've had one I end up selling it because it's a pain to haul around with me - I'm constantly on the go and fast, I don't need a heavy weight with me.

However, someone told me that due to the size of it and how compact things are inside of it, it would have major heat issues that would cause it to crash, especially in the summer. How likely is this?

michielrutjes
Here in the Netherlands the Macbook Air costs 1699 euro, so Apple is finally letting go of the dollar/euro equality. Still, it's cheaper to buy one in the US i guess (wich would be 1209 euros :| ).

Feverish Flux
Jan 15, 2008, 02:19 PM
Sealed non user replaceable battery?

Soldered on RAM?

No ethernet jack?

$1799?

No thanks. :rolleyes:

It's an expensive, disposable toy.

guitarman777
sounds like an overall great machine for those who need max portability, but not max power.

+1. My wife would love it because she likes the portability. I'm running a full studio off my MacBook Pro... 'nuff said.

adrake86
I have not seen this posted the macbook air does not have a replaceable battery. It is similar to the iphone and ipod. So no more switching out batteries on the go.

iVoid
No replaceable battery by the looks of it and the specs on Apple's sight. That's a bit hard to swallow.

But the glossy screen makes it a NO SALE for me anyway. :(

longofest
As a first hands-on impression, is it worth $1799? (or less with either an education or gov't dscount)!

This thing is DEFINITELY very portable. If you are in the market for a portable laptop, this should definitely be in consideration. I think the price is fair for the amount of engineering that went into it and the fact that it contains custom parts.

kkat69
To anyone that has 'handled' it (directing to the guys on location) how durable is it?

I mean I know it can fit in an envelope but I don't want it as flimsy as an envelope. I'm pretty sure it's durable, I'm just asking for 'impressions' of the feel of it.

simag
Jan 15, 2008, 02:20 PM
I expect it will sell very well. From what I read so far it is more a high end macbook than part of the pro line.
For me the glossy screen is the deal breaker. I'd also prefer no camera but could probably live with it. The combination of glossy and camera probably eliminate it from the bulk of the corporate market.

FoxyKaye
Looks like some short work with a torx will show us what's under the hood. Anybody carrying at MWSF? You'd only need a few minutes to distract the staff. :p

Yankees 4 Life
wow that thing is too thin. I'll wait until they update the macbooks with multi-touch to get one.

EagerDragon
I have a feeling that the MacBook may come down in price some. Besides the weigth and thinnest, the only thing this realy brings is the multi-touch keypad.

3 levels
a) traveler - MacBook Air
b) General polulation - MacBook
c) Pro and gamer - MacBook Pro

S600MBUSA
Jan 15, 2008, 02:21 PM
This thing isn't bad, but for me it won't quite do. No user replaceable battery, glossy screen, and no firewire sort of turns me off.

briantoronto
Jan 15, 2008, 02:21 PM
For me, to save nearly 1.2 kilos over my MBP is a big thing. When you regularly schlep a computer around the world for word files, photos, and the like -- this is great. I carry a small external drive already for my photos, so the small HD on this box is fine.

Yes, this is a niche machine - but for those who want that 1.2 kilos back so they can carry other important things - this is great!

-Brian

Blackbeard
Jan 15, 2008, 02:22 PM
Be sure to post overall final impressions, if you'd be so kind - there are a lot of underwhelmed MacRumors Users (again, not to be confused with MacRumorUser) right now, myself included. Plus - holy crap - the $1,300 price diff between the 80gig and the 64gig. Yikessss.

Underwhelmed is a good description for what I am feeling. Not disappointed but am not scrambling to pre-order. Oh, well, back to work.

apollo8fan
Jan 15, 2008, 02:23 PM
I have not seen this posted the macbook air does not have a replaceable battery. It is similar to the iphone and ipod. So no more switching out batteries on the go.

I was about to ask that; I figured they'd not include a user-serviceable battery. it seems like their style of late...

PlaceofDis
Jan 15, 2008, 02:24 PM
This thing is DEFINITELY very portable. If you are in the market for a portable laptop, this should definitely be in consideration. I think the price is fair for the amount of engineering that went into it and the fact that it contains custom parts.

exactly.
ultraportables are always more expensive from what i've seen. they require more work to get them so small.

and complaining about no ethernet port? the last time i used an ethernet port with a laptop was.... well not with my current macbook, and probably only once or twice a few years ago with my powerbook. its not 'needed' but its 'nice to have' on a machine like this.

Steflinsky
Where is the apple on the Keyboard?

raccoontail
This reminds me of the introduction of the revolutionary powerbook 500 series in 1994.

Shape: Something unlike Apple (or anyone else) has ever done before. 500 series and the Air are attractive but certainly controversial.
Pointing Device: 500 series had first trackpads in the industry. The Air has the first multitouch.
Price Range: The 500 series active matrix color display was a $2000 upgrade over the standard passive greyscale. Makes that solid state upgrade look fairly nominal.
Missing Features: 500 series had an expensive add-on PCMCIA slot while most laptops had this as a standard feature. the Air leaves out ethernet. Many decry Apple's approach of deciding what standard features users need/don't need, but this philosophy is absolutely essential to making gorgeous computers that push the market forward.

The Air is a product meant for people who spend a lot of money on computers. Pair this with a 24" iMac, and you have an incredibly elegant and powerful mobile/home computing solution.

juanm
However, someone told me that due to the size of it and how compact things are inside of it, it would have major heat issues that would cause it to crash, especially in the summer. How likely is this?

Not likely. Everything is aluminum, and it's not a G5 (oddly enough), so chances are it won't get too hot.

No ethernet jack?

You can add a USB one for 49$, I think.

kkat69
Jan 15, 2008, 02:25 PM
The combination of glossy and camera probably eliminate it from the bulk of the corporate market.

Not necessarily true.

1. Glossy - provides more vibrant colors and when showing a proposal onsite without an overhead projecter a dull off color matte screen might not win a customer over with the 'ohs' and 'ahs' but seeing a vivid eye popping color chart just might.
2. iSight Camera - Those in legit business KNOW the true marketing power of virtual teleconverences or video conferances. I mean when you can wipe out your laptop in Madrid Spain and not have to fool with accessories to be able to join a video teleconference and all you have to do is lift your laptop lid and the iSight is right there and works, it gives a better impression to a customer rather than "well I don't have a camera so I'm just going to voice in"

These 2 items will NOT eliminate it from any amount of the 'bulk' of the corporate market. Maybe a small percentage but coming from a major govt contractor the built in camera DOES make a big impact and onsite presentation (visiting someone at their desk and showing cost charts etc for example) and even if the customer is dazzled by the vivid colors, that too will make a difference.

JoshJosh117
Jan 15, 2008, 02:25 PM
Where does one watch the keynote? I know it's over, I wanna watch the recorded one)

Insomniak
Jan 15, 2008, 02:26 PM
It may get hot but unless you live near the sun, it will be fine.....

Slip
Jan 15, 2008, 02:27 PM

I'm sure with the engineering that has gone into it that they have made sure that it won't overheat in summer ;)
Your friend is just a skeptic

Where is the apple on the Keyboard?

They've been gone since the new Apple KB's intro'd in August and on the MacBooks since the Santa Rosa update in November

longofest
In response to Feverish Flux

Sealed non user replaceable battery? True

Soldered on RAM? True

No ethernet jack? There is a USB-adapter

$1799? And the SSD drive adds a $999 premium :)

Yankees 4 Life
Not likely. Everything is aluminum, so it probably won't get too hot.

You can add a USB one for 49$, I think.

no the USB thing is 29 dollars

PDE
I think this seems like a great travel companion for light work. It definitely isn't an all-round multi media/communications center though:

- lack of ethernet port
- mono speaker -yuck!
- not replaceable batter - what were you thinking?
- Heat problem! I don't need to try one to know.

Otherwise light, beautiful and the multitouch will be marvelous.

rednic
Jan 15, 2008, 02:28 PM
To anyone that has 'handled' it (directing to the guys on location) how durable is it?

Well it's so light that it floats. So if you throw it (something my duo survived!) it should never land,therfore it should never break

Right???

deanbo
Jan 15, 2008, 02:29 PM
Installing software/OS is going to be convenient. So who can't make a notebook that thin by removing the optical drive. Just a wee bit ahead of themselves on this one I think.:confused:

Porco
Jan 15, 2008, 02:30 PM
It looks fabulous. One year earlier and I would have bought one instead of my macbook. Probably will get one eventually.

WardC
Jan 15, 2008, 02:31 PM
To note: The version with the 64GB SSD Drive starts at $3,089.00

...just to let you know

dAlen
First, to much space around screen.

Either have a bigger screen, or reduce the trimming around it to hug the 13 inch monitor. This reminds me of the 'fat' flat displays that were out in plastic version before they got a trim in the aluminum version.

People wanted a smaller footprint, and it could have happened if they just trimmed it a bit. (I am writing this on my powerbook G4 that has a nice thin trim around the monitor. I want the monitor not bulk on the side...especially if its portable.)

And how do I get my info off of my firewire DVD drive...oh, come on Apple, you pushed the fire wire standard...I wonder if its powerful enough to do any form of video editing, if so, firewire...firewire...firewire...ooops, forgot about that.

If it is truly a wireless machine that they claim it to be, they should have dumped the USB along with it. ;)

Peace

dAlen

not to mention I dont have anything that is wireless...not even a cellphone.
So I suppose I am still waiting for the macbook pro updates. :)

What is the big deal about 3lbs vs. 5lbs...not that much of a difference...not really.

redshift20
Soo... a super thin laptop that does NOT have a optical drive? :rolleyes:

Who really cares? I'd rather have something 1/4" thicker that can read a DVD. Why is Apple so obsessed with thin? What I REALLY want is a laptop that I can jimmy a lock with in case I don't have a credit card handy. :confused:

PlaceofDis
Jan 15, 2008, 02:32 PM
It looks fabulous. One year earlier and I would have bought one instead of my macbook. Probably will get one eventually.

same thing.

and about the heat issue: its running a slower clock speed than a MacBook, and a smaller chip at that too. it shouldn't get too hot. the hard drive won't get too hot being so small and slower, and with 2gigs of ram, unless you're really pushing it to swap stuff to the drive for memory you should be okay.

Bosunsfate
Jan 15, 2008, 02:33 PM
Not necessarily true.

1. Glossy - provides more vibrant colors and when showing a proposal onsite without an overhead projecter a dull off color matte screen might not win a customer over with the 'ohs' and 'ahs' but seeing a vivid eye popping color chart just might.
2. iSight Camera - Those in legit business KNOW the true marketing power of virtual teleconverences or video conferances. I mean when you can wipe out your laptop in Madrid Spain and not have to fool with accessories to be able to join a video teleconference and all you have to do is lift your laptop lid and the iSight is right there and works, it gives a better impression to a customer rather than "well I don't have a camera so I'm just going to voice in"

These 2 items will NOT eliminate it from any amount of the 'bulk' of the corporate market. Maybe a small percentage but coming from a major govt contractor the built in camera DOES make a big impact and onsite presentation (visiting someone at their desk and showing cost charts etc for example) and even if the customer is dazzled by the vivid colors, that too will make a difference.

It all depends on the business sector. I think the majority of business users would love this.

What I see happening now is that more and more executives want this, and that will eventually change their IT department policies.

PlaceofDis
Jan 15, 2008, 02:33 PM

Who really cares? I'd rather have something 1/4" thicker that can read a DVD. Why is Apple so obsessed with thin? What I REALLY want is a laptop that I can jimmy a lock with in case I don't have a credit card handy. :confused:

i rarely use the optical drive on my macbook. it just sits there causing more weight and space imo.

if it doesn't do what you want. fine. move along and stop complaining.

First, to much space around screen.

Either have a bigger screen, or reduce the trimming around it to hug the 13 inch monitor. This reminds me of the 'fat' flat displays that were out in plastic version before they got a trim in the aluminum version.

People wanted a smaller footprint, and it could have happened if they just trimmed it a bit. (I am writing this on my powerbook G4 that has a nice thin trim around the monitor. I want the monitor not bulk on the side...especially if its portable.)

And how do I get my info off of my firewire DVD drive...oh, come on Apple, you pushed the fire wire standard...I wonder if its powerful enough to do any form of video editing, if so, firewire...firewire...firewire...ooops, forgot about that.

If it is truly a wireless machine that they claim it to be, they should have dumped the USB along with it. ;)

Peace

dAlen

not to mention I dont have anything that is wireless...not even a cellphone.
So I suppose I am still waiting for the macbook pro updates. :)

What is the big deal about 3lbs vs. 5lbs...not that much of a difference...not really.

i agree with the firewire, should've included it, but oh well.

and two pounds is a lot when you're on a bike. or walking around downtown. or on a plane.

numbsafari
Jan 15, 2008, 02:35 PM
First off... if there is a problem with the battery and you have an Apple store nearby they can probably do a replacement same day. And that's if there's a physical problem with the battery.

Second off... It won't be long before one of the 3rd party guys comes out with a secondary battery that plugs into magsafe port to power this thing if you need extended play.

5 hours is a long time.

I've been on 10 hours flights and lemme tell you... I try and spend about 8 of them sleeping. And if I can't sleep? 5 hours is plenty long enough.

I think this is a fair trade off. However... if you don't live near an Apple store I'd be wary because of the prospects of mailing it in. So far, every repair I've needed has been handled same day or overnight (if I showed up after 5pm) by a local store, including full logic board replacements.

iliketomac
Jan 15, 2008, 02:36 PM
To note: The version with the 64GB SSD Drive starts at $3,089.00

...just to let you know

You can build & buy the 1.6ghz with the 64GB SSD - hence, $999 extra. :p

Markleshark
Yeah, even with the black keys that is as sexy as fook.

A bold move to remove Ethernet though, well done Apple.

TheNumberOneFan
how can a site devoted to mac computers have soooo many people on complaining about an awesome new technology that we've just been introduced to??

so it's not YOUR perfect machine for everything YOU want to do. get over yourselves.

it's thin, it's fun, and it's revolutionary.

lets just enjoy it! :apple:

macidiot
Jan 15, 2008, 02:37 PM
Well, I was pretty much all set to buy one, rationalizing in a twisted way.

However, no user replaceable battery is ABSURD and STUPID.

I will not get one just for this reason.

Jobs has created another Cube. A great form factor that no one will buy.

medazinol
When you go this thin there are always compromises:

RAM expansion slots take up space
Battery housing and latching mechanism take up space
Optical drives aren't thin enough
Big ports like FireWire and Ethernet take up space

Apple decided to go for broke and make the thinnest, sexiest machine on the planet right now so some things had to go.

So, it's a toss up: you want thin you need to live with the engineering compromises, you want power and flexibility then you need a bigger housing.

The price is seems is pretty good considering what they've been able to achieve in terms of features. I never expected a backlit keyboard in something so thin! Apple's been able to reduce the size of the iSight to make things fit in such a slim display (I'm sure the move to LED backlighting helps here as well).

Fast Shadow
Sealed non user replaceable battery?

Soldered on RAM?

No ethernet jack?

$1799?

No thanks. :rolleyes:

It's an expensive, disposable toy.

Ethernet jack doesn't bother me since it's got a dongle, but no RAM upgrade and no user replaceable battery are deal killers for me, unfortunately. That being said, it's a brilliant piece of tech and they'll sell a lot of them. But I really do need more than 2 gigs of RAM. Virtualization requires more.

WardC

For $1799 you can get a faster 2.2GHz MacBook Pro with a much bigger 15.4" LED-lit display, with a DVD-R Superdrive, FireWire 800 AND a dual-link DVI port for driving a 30" display...with that nVidia 8800 card...

I just don't see the point in plunging the money for this one- it is a nice looking toy though.

Edit. Oh, and gigabit ethernet too :-)

havand
I think this seems like a great travel companion for light work. It definitely isn't an all-round multi media/communications center though:

- lack of ethernet port
- mono speaker -yuck!
- not replaceable batter - what were you thinking?
- Heat problem! I don't need to try one to know.

Otherwise light, beautiful and the multitouch will be marvelous.

Oh, come on.

I'm not even a fan of the thing. But I highly doubt heat will be an issue. It has a 37W battery. My Asus W3J pulls ~20watts on battery.

For this thing to last 5 hours, 37W/5 = 7.4W. I'm quite sure they can passively dissipate 7.4W across a surface area of 8.94inx12.8in. I'm pretty sure it'll be alright.

NewSc2

If you really need the DVD drive soldered onto your laptop, go with a Macbook or a MBP. Not a tough decision really. I don't think I've used my MBP's drive for a few months, and only then it was to burn a CD for a friend.

sk8ordie
Jan 15, 2008, 02:38 PM
Needs 100% more firewire.

Awesome product though.

yamhsoj
Jan 15, 2008, 02:38 PM
From what I can see in the pics, designing the Air like a "bowl" cuts out on battery life. If it was more like a wedge, you could fit a larger battery. Especially with lithium polymer (as opposed to lithium ion), that can be made in near any shape. That would make me 3x times happier about the air. I am guessing that a wedge shape wasn't aesthetically pleasing though. Also, it might be harder to make a tool to punch out a wedge at those small dimensions.

Off topic, I applaud the removal of the optical drive. With the advent of online movie rentals now, and the cheap cost of USB sticks, I see no need to have an optical drive.

numbsafari
Jan 15, 2008, 02:39 PM
i agree with the firewire, should've included it, but oh well.

and two pounds is a lot when you're on a bike. or walking around downtown. or on a plane.

What firewire device would you honestly want to plug into this thing? A camera? Sounds like you need a MacBook Pro. FireWire is a high performance need, not a portability one.

This thing doesn't have a fire wire for the same reason as an iPod. Let's face it, this is an iPod Laptop. A very nice one.

I just don't know if I like the price.

NewSc2
For $1799 you can get a faster 2.2GHz MacBook Pro with a much bigger 15.4" LED-lit display, with a DVD-R Superdrive, FireWire 800 AND a dual-link DVI port for driving a 30" display...with that nVidia 8800 card...

I just don't see the point in plunging the money for this one- it is a nice looking toy though.

Edit. Oh, and gigabit ethernet too :-)

The MBP is $1999, not $1799.

Superthin laptops usually run around this price, or even more. I think it's pretty fair.

law guy
Without wireless broadband, this very pretty machine seems to be a non-starter for a lot of business users - myself included. Apple makes no mention of an adapter on their site so sadly it looks like any adaptors will be third party add-ons for the time being. Has anyone heard of any Apple plans for one?

emotion
I would have said I was the target market for this (2x powerbook 12" user, moved to macbook but wants a more polished machine) but I'm not interested.

The UK price is ridiculous (1200 = $2400!, $4050 for the SSD!!), and the lack of firewire (I need it for external disk and audio interface), decent hard disk options and size of the bezel (the machine is the same size as a macbook) tip the balance.

I guess I'm wrong about being the target. I'll wait for the MBP update, there will be a small one of those (I know, unlikely). :)

Oh well.

bigjohn
Jan 15, 2008, 02:40 PM
Looks great, not sure how useful it is... it currently doesn't meet my needs (like the iPhone or AppleTV interestingly enough).

Seems odd, but there's nothing Apple I'd really say I'd want now (except for the Mac Pro I just ordered).

PlaceofDis
Jan 15, 2008, 02:44 PM
What firewire device would you honestly want to plug into this thing? A camera? Sounds like you need a MacBook Pro. FireWire is a high performance need, not a portability one.

This thing doesn't have a fire wire for the same reason as an iPod. Let's face it, this is an iPod Laptop. A very nice one.

oh i would just want it for a fw external. not a camera at all. FW is so much faster for transfers that i'd prefer to use it. and i understand why its not there, and its okay. but it would've been nice. probably would've been nice to have too for an external burner, imo. or two USB ports.

the price is reasonable, considering the work put into it and the size. go look at how much sony's ultra portables cost. they're not cheaper

maccuser
Jan 15, 2008, 02:44 PM
I love the design, wish the keyboard was silver instead of black but overall I love the design...not sure about the performance and I definitely wanted more than 80 gigs for this...I looked at the specs and it seem not to have the apple remote ...anybody got any ideas why??? I hope they would update their macbook line also. After all I may buy my first mac..

motomullet
Jan 15, 2008, 02:45 PM
I like it. I'd buy it if I had money to spare. All the things you guys are whining about are a non-issue for me. If you want user expandability get a desktop, not an ultra-portable.

Bubbasteve
Jan 15, 2008, 02:45 PM
Sorry if answered prior -- how (un)bearable is the 80GB hard drive speed

-- Is the 64 SSD Flash that much faster?

emotion
Jan 15, 2008, 02:47 PM
Interesting thought: I have an iPhone and even though the connectivity could be better it does all my mobile communication quite well. I think this makes the kind of laptop I'd want different...ie. I'm less likely to want a machine that's been limited this much.

If I didn't have the iPhone I'd probably be a lot more tempted and overlook some of the limitations.

smogsy
i found it by lucky and bit of guess josh

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf08/

yipster222
This is just going to be like the Apple TV

for $200 more you can get a Macbook Pro

Macbook Air is limited in Power and Expandability.

5 hours of usage and no replacable battery.

Macbook is a better deal

Sorry to say this is like the Palm Folio

ipedro
Strange that nobody has mentioned this: no speakers?

I'm not a fan of the black keys. Other than that, it's Apple's most envy inducing notebook for sure.

mmccaskill
Jan 15, 2008, 02:48 PM
Is it just me, or does it look like exhaust vents on the bottom towards the back?

maccuser
They probably gonna announce new design for the MBP and the MB together with the 3G iphone..No wonder the apple stock is going down like crazy...

SiliconAddict
Sorry. No go. If I'm spending $1700 I'm getting a tablet PC. I want something personal and small...not just a replacement for my Macbook Pro

weing
Jan 15, 2008, 02:50 PM
VERY disappointing. Even though it looks great.
It may be thin but the footprint is HUGE. As big as my 15" pb. Note to apple:
People dont like to carry 8 1/2 by 14 manilla evelopes around because they are too BIG.
Oh. And thanks Apple for nickel and dimeing us for a 29 dollar ethernet dongle on a near $2k purchase that would take about 3 dollars off your margin if you had just put it in the box!

kkat69
Jan 15, 2008, 02:50 PM

True Mac users are deaf anyway. LOL j/k

JoshJosh117
Jan 15, 2008, 02:51 PM
i found it by lucky and bit of guess josh

Won't let me watch it.

Macula
Jan 15, 2008, 02:52 PM
IF (and only IF) the battery is non-replaceable, then indeed this is a gadget for high-end executives and affluent coffee shop idlers. No one with respect for his money would buy it without trepidation.

buffalo
Jan 15, 2008, 02:52 PM
WHERE does one watch the KEYNOTE????

Be patient. It hasn't been posted to Apple's website yet. Look for it in a few hours.

As for the MB Air, the real pictures make it look very nice. I guess I gotta figure a way to do in with my MB so I can get one of these babies.

mongoose8p
Jan 15, 2008, 02:53 PM
i have a mbp now if this had been out in july (when i got my mbp) i woulda gone for it but not now!

drawbacks for me
soldered ram-???
lower processing power- understood
non replaceable batter wtf?
mono speaker- not that i care that much but is that joke?

ATH44
Jan 15, 2008, 02:53 PM
It's a beautiful machine for those that don't need power or expandability. On the other hand it's a giant leap forward in wireless computing that will hopefully spread to other Macs.

maccuser
Jan 15, 2008, 02:54 PM
They are not gonna even update their MBP with the new intel processors...what a shame, every other laptop is already updated with the new intel processors...No apple remote for MBA..

mutantteenager
Jan 15, 2008, 02:54 PM
I think quite a few people have made valid points about this new laptop. What a surprise that the fanboys try to shoot them down.

The first is...(if true) non-removable battery. Who sells a laptop for people who are regularly on the road that doesn't allow you to swap the battery. Name the manufacturer and I will eat my left foot.

Built in iSight - Some corporations do not allow their employees laptops with webcams. Obviously this isn't everyone, but it is at least true.

It's gonna get hot. I had a 12" Powerbook, and guess what? It got hot. I don't care what processor they put in a metal laptop, it's gonna get.... HOT!

Lack of Ethernet. Yes it's true some people still use ethernet. I know God should strike them down, but until he does, they still need it. Sony manage to put ethernet and an internal dvd writer in their TZ sub-notebook, and theirs weighs less, and strangely has a removable battery. Oh and it's smaller.

Lack of Firewire. Just because Apple are favouring USB, doesn't mean that everyone who bought a Mac before the Intel switch doesn't use Firewire devices. Like say a hard drive?!

If you want to hate me you can. But just because Apple don't do it doesn't make it wrong.

PS : This machine is probably going to sway a lot of people in person, but I won't buy one. I need a graphics card AND a small form factor.

kellen
Jan 15, 2008, 02:55 PM
Sorry if answered prior -- how (un)bearable is the 80GB hard drive speed

-- Is the 64 SSD Flash that much faster?

80 gig hd speed is 4200. Don't know if thats the limitation due to size or what.

Bubbasteve
Jan 15, 2008, 02:55 PM
Sorry, Can anyone tell me what artist and song plays in the macbook air ad? Thanks! :)

New Soul by Yael Nam

ildondeigiocchi
Jan 15, 2008, 02:56 PM
I REALLY WANT TO GET A MACBOOK AIR. I currently own a black Macbook C2D 2.0GHZ with 1GIG of ram and 120GB HD. How much do you think I'll be able to get for that setup? :apple:

CaptainCaveMann
This is a complete disappointment. No user replaceable battery? No optical drive, only 1 usb port. I use a laptop as my main computer so something like this is completely out of the question. I'll be waiting for them to update the macbook and macbook pro design. I will also add that there is now a gap in Apple's product line. The mac mini is underpowered for video and the low price is irrelevant because once you buy the keyboard and display your already up to 1000. My ideal set up is having a desktop at home and a portable for the road. I will probably end up buying an iMac and one of the new portables when they get updated. :cool:

PDE
IF (and only IF) the battery is non-replaceable, then indeed this is a gadget for high-end executives and affluent coffee shop idlers. No one with respect for his money would buy it without trepidation.

I have to agree. This is meant to be a light travel machine that has long battery life and connects easily wherever you go. The battery life will not be anywhere near 5 hours and then you''re stuck unless you have an outlet. Ethernet can be added, but really apple should have included it in the package given the high price tag.

I love the looks (except perhaps the wide display frame) as it reminds me of the old early powerbook days and my beloved 540c - but much much sexier.

skinbubble
Apple requires you to send the MBAir in to replace the battery.

No thanks.:(

PharmD

I'm not a fan of the black keys. Other than that, it's Apple's most envy inducing notebook for sure.

On the guided tour video, they look to be on either side of the isight. Tiny things so you'd be better off using headphones anyways.

sikkinixx

doesn't it have a mono speaker?

anyways, $30 Ethernet add-on, $100 DVD add-on, no extra batteries, no upgrades, 1 USB port, almost a $2k price tag (for Canadians anyway)? Ouch....very ouch.

Kenya
Excellent photos! You can really see just how thin the new Airbook really is. I don't want one but I can't wait to see it in person!

BTW, the black keyboard is disconcerting... don't know why ::shivers::

kkat69
Jan 15, 2008, 02:57 PM
They probably gonna announce new design for the MBP and the MB together with the 3G iphone..No wonder the apple stock is going down like crazy...

I fail to see it falling like crazy. Following the stock you see drops during annoucements due to uneasiness of the proposed changes and the consumer world (reading these forums you'd think everything Apple does is crap since it would appear that NO ONE is satisfied with anything they do) but it steadies out, right now for instance bouncing between 170 and 165. Dropped earlier but I wouldn't call it 'going down like crazy'

For instance today it started at 177 and only dropped to 167. Even the history doesn't show a huge drop.

I would say something rude like 'learn to read stock reports and base an informative response' but you might just be jumping on the h8r bandwagon.

coolfactor
I'll wait for the next revision, since the price is a tad too high ($1899 here in Canada). However, this machine fits into a very common and growing target market. I know a lot of people that have picked up a MacBook recently, rarely use the optical driver, never use the Ethernet, use only one USB port max, never use the Firewire port, and so on. Apple has done their homework and removed features rarely used, while increasing the value of the laptop through its form factor.

koobcamuk
I would have said I was the target market for this (2x powerbook 12" user, moved to macbook but wants a more polished machine) but I'm not interested.

The UK price is ridiculous (1200 = $2400!, $4050 for the SSD!!), and the lack of firewire (I need it for external disk and audio interface), decent hard disk options and size of the bezel (the machine is the same size as a macbook) tip the balance.

I guess I'm wrong about being the target. I'll wait for the MBP update, there will be a small one of those (I know, unlikely). :)

Oh well.

Those prices almost made me sick. I would only ever buy this abroad (USA). Yes, I know, sale tax. You show me where sale tax is that much!!

Looks like the 12" PB is here to stay. It's not heavy, feels great to the touch and mine has a 250GB HDD which I love to have. I have two batteries and they both get 4.5 hours out of them.

Cool exec toy, but not what I hoped for.

sigamy
Jan 15, 2008, 02:59 PM

Who really cares? I'd rather have something 1/4" thicker that can read a DVD. Why is Apple so obsessed with thin?

Apple is not obsessed with thin, they are obsessed with differentiating themselves by making incredibly designed hardware and software. And for this machine the form does have a function--great portability and still decent power.

Kwill
The most significant Apple news at Macworld this year was the preannounced Mac Pro updates. :rolleyes:

lelereb
Built-in battery is not user accessible
I really dislike this trend

Lack of ports
I think that one more usb and the ethernet port wouldn't have increased significantly the laptop size. I think it's a choice, not a design requirement. I don't like it.

PDE
On the guided tour video, they look to be on either side of the isight. Tiny things so you'd be better off using headphones anyways.

in the tech specs it just says builti-in mono speaker, so that's it.

skinbubble
If it had an user replaceable battery, speakers, and firewire....I MIGHT think about getting one.

coolfactor
Jan 15, 2008, 03:01 PM

Another thing that is obvious about this laptop is that Apple designed with the intention that buyers are using it to supplement another computer. That means, it could be sent in without the user being computerless. They just wouldn't have their ultra-portability for a few days.

Kwill
Apple is not obsessed with thin, they are obsessed with differentiating themselves by making incredibly designed hardware and software. And for this machine the form does have a function--great portability and still decent power.

... "making incredibly designed hardware" ... as long as it is thin. :)

maccuser
I fail to see it falling like crazy. Following the stock you see drops during annoucements due to uneasiness of the proposed changes and the consumer world (reading these forums you'd think everything Apple does is crap since it would appear that NO ONE is satisfied with anything they do) but it steadies out, right now for instance bouncing between 170 and 165. Dropped earlier but I wouldn't call it 'going down like crazy'

For instance today it started at 177 and only dropped to 167. Even the history doesn't show a huge drop.

I would say something rude like 'learn to read stock reports and base an informative response' but you might just be jumping on the h8r bandwagon.

I guess you apparantly didn't notice that MR. Jobs didn't meet their expectations for the itunes and this is the reason it's going down.. As for the MBA, this is not a revolutionary device..not gonna help apple.. thats why genious..

SolRayz
Jan 15, 2008, 03:02 PM
...trendy and cool in that respect...but as far as features and price its definitely not worth it imo. Non removable battery...bleh, one usb port. Plus 3K and change for 64GB SSD will never sell. The good old Macbook is still a better deal.

notsofatjames
5 hours is a long time.

I've been on 10 hours flights and lemme tell you... I try and spend about 8 of them sleeping. And if I can't sleep? 5 hours is plenty long enough.

5 Hours is wireless operating time too i think i read. so it would probs last about 8 without wireless I'd have though. Correct me if Im wrong though.

Needs 100% more firewire.

100% of 0 is still 0. That would still leave it firewire-less...
It has a mono speaker, check the specs on apple website.

I'd get one if I had the cash spare. Just for the fact its soo god damn small, and that I never use hardly any of the features of the current macbook. I occasionally plug my iPhone in to the USB, and I charge it. Its only used for music and web browsing. I'm kinda of put off by the large price though.

mtthab
Personally, I'm disappointed in this machine. The whole thing looks a little PCish for my taste. The shape turns me off to it initially, I'd prefer a consistent height, even if its thicker. On top of that the black keyboard and glossy screen are huge design flaws in my mind. The "multi-touch" features are pretty cool, but far from revolutionary and not nearly as smart or innovative as I expected. I feel like that could have been a software update for the current notebooks rather then a feature of a new notebook. Honestly, I think the whole idea of a new line that performs so slow for such a high price is mind-boggling. We aren't talking about 300 dollars for a stylish item that is the best in the market, like the iPod. This is a 1800 dollar MINIMUM for a laptop that really does not pack much of a punch and has practically nothing over the other notebooks aside from its thinness, which is really pocket change when you look at how thin the other notebooks are anyway. After the release of the mac pro prior to the keynote and the buzz Apple built inviting the european media and all that, I really expected a huge leap in computing, not a thinner, slower and more expensive version of the current product. Oh well, thats just my take on it.

ipedro
Jan 15, 2008, 03:03 PM
in the tech specs it just says builti-in mono speaker, so that's it.

Well, I'm not due for a new notebook until the end of 2008 anyway so I'll wait for the MBP with the sexy contoured edges, magnetic latch, new keyboard and LED back light which will probably come out at WWDC.

medazinol
Here's the link to the keynote. Really busy right now though, you might want to wait for a bit.

homeboy
Those prices almost made me sick. I would only ever buy this abroad (USA). Yes, I know, sale tax. You show me where sale tax is that much!!

You can't straightly convert USA prices into Pounds because you end up getting crazy figures because of the weak dollar rather than high sales tax.

yg17
1 USB port? No Firewire? I'm sorry, but what a joke. I'd rather go with a regular Macbook that isn't that much thicker or heavier, has more USB, Firewire, ethernet, upgradeable RAM, upgradeable hard drive, optical drive and a removable battery. Oh, and it's cheaper and more powerful too. This thing looks like a freakin joke

Siemova
I'd love the regular Apple Keyboard to look like that. With ALS backlighting, too. Redesigned for the desktops soon, I hope! :cool:

vintageislovex
Jan 15, 2008, 03:04 PM
New Soul by Yael Nam

THANK YOU bubbasteve!

mhouse
Jan 15, 2008, 03:05 PM
I guess you apparantly didn't notice that MR. Jobs didn't meet their expectations for the itunes and this is the reason it's going down.. As for the MBA, this is not a revolutionary device..not gonna help apple.. thats why genious..

The entire market is down today, "genious".

Kwill
As far as product releases go, MacBook Air will be the new Cube. :(

coolfactor

Well, I think Steve J is obsessed with thin, but what people are missing is that this laptop is not meant to be a stand-alone the-only-computer-you-have type of thing. It's ideally suited to supplement another more feature-rich system. That's why they designed it to work with another computer for installing software, etc. It's a sub-notebook without a compromise on screen and keyboard size. They've compromise on feature richness.

I can understand the price being where it is.... this thing is an engineering marvel. But I'll wait til it comes down, or I'll make more money. :-)

imwoblin
These questions were posted on Macfixit..

MacBook Air raises troubleshooting questions

Apple's new MacBook Air is svelte-as-can-be, but the device's limitations and lack of traditional components raise some interesting troubleshooting/general questions:

What happens when the battery loses capacity or runs out? The battery is apparently not user-replaceable. This means you can't swap out batteries to extend operating life, and you'll likely need to seek authorized service to get the battery replaced when it inevitably loses capacity or fails altogether.
How do you perform an emergency boot? What if you can't startup from the built-in drive and need to boot from a separate volume? The MacBook Air lacks an optical drive, meaning you can't boot from an inserted DVD like the Mac OS X Leopard install disc unless you purchase the $100 optional, external SuperDrive. It's not yet clear whether the MacBook Air can boot from an optical drive in another Mac via the "Remote Disc" function, but we doubt it.
How will you apply major Mac OS X updates? If you can't boot from an installer disc, how will you be able to install the next major iteration of Mac OS X? Traditionally, Mac OS X installers have required the system to boot from the disc.
How will you use target disk mode? The MacBook Air lacks a FireWire port. This means you can't use FireWire target disk mode -- an invaluable troubleshooting tool.
How will you NetBoot? The MacBook Air lacks a built-in Ethernet port, so NetBoots won't be possible by default, precluding yet another option for emergency boots. You'll need to purchase the $20 USB Ethernet adapter.

CoreWeb
Jan 15, 2008, 03:06 PM

Actually, it looks as if many stocks are going down, not just Apple's...

weg
Jan 15, 2008, 03:06 PM
So who can't make a notebook that thin by removing the optical drive.

Lenovo/IBM (the X61 series is 1.4" high). I still prefer the X61 tablet over this MacBook Air thing.. I was hoping Apple would finally introduce a tablet :D

coolfactor
Jan 15, 2008, 03:07 PM
1 USB port? No Firewire? I'm sorry, but what a joke. I'd rather go with a regular Macbook that isn't that much thicker or heavier, has more USB, Firewire, ethernet, upgradeable RAM, upgradeable hard drive, optical drive and a removable battery. Oh, and it's cheaper and more powerful too. This thing looks like a freakin joke

You've missed the point of this laptop. It's not meant to be a MacBook or MacBook Pro replacement. It's meant to sit in the middle, offering half the weight, and ultraportability. If you don't need those two benefits, then it's not the laptop for you. Duh.

weg
Jan 15, 2008, 03:08 PM
Oh. And thanks Apple for nickel and dimeing us for a 29 dollar ethernet dongle on a near $2k purchase that would take about 3 dollars off your margin if you had just put it in the box!

The ethernet jack is too large, it probably didn't fit in.

mhouse
What *exactly* were you some of you expecting?

It is the thinnest laptop on Earth, it has a faster processor than any comparable Vaio, and costs much *less* than any comparable Vaio.

The criticisms you guys are fielding sound as if you expected a MacBook Pro in a MacBook Air form factor at a MacBook price.

Apple is filled with great designers and engineers, not magicians. Sorry if you thought otherwise.

SthrnCmfrtr
Mmm... a CubeBook. Overpriced and underpowered. More bragging rights.

I'm beginning to think Apple's new motto is "Incredibly designed, poorly-engineered."

clevin
You've missed the point of this laptop. It's not meant to be a MacBook or MacBook Pro replacement. It's meant to sit in the middle, offering half the weight, and ultraportability. If you don't need those two benefits, then it's not the laptop for you. Duh.

I agree, MBA is designed to be a "second" laptop. Not the primary laptop, it just is too expensive as a "second" laptop.

However, I don't agree its "ultraportable", for that big size, not that portable at all.

yg17
Jan 15, 2008, 03:09 PM

I'd agree with you if the MacBook wasn't already thin and light. But I just don't see this as providing any significant difference, and certainly not worth the price premium IMO

some12b
Jan 15, 2008, 03:09 PM
Hi all, first post here. I must say I have never wanted a laptop as badly as this after seeing the MacBook Air got introduced.

However, I'm struggling to choose between a Thinkpad X60 or this as my next computer. I will mainly use it for college, where I will use it to take notes and stuff. As far as I can see: X60 has much better connectivity, while the Macbook air just has that "wow" factor as well as functionality. This is not a PC vs Mac issue; I just want your opinion as to which is would be more suited for my use?

Any comment is appreciated.

maccuser
Jan 15, 2008, 03:10 PM
Actually, it looks as if many stocks are going down, not just Apple's...

WIll see how their earnings gonna come out..not sure if they are going to meet their expectation since he announced that itune sales didnt meet their expectations..
As for the MBP im pretty sure he is gona announce it at WWDC with the 3g iphone..

aswitcher
Jan 15, 2008, 03:10 PM

Apple's new MacBook Air is svelte-as-can-be, but the device's limitations and lack of traditional components raise some interesting troubleshooting/general questions:

What happens when the battery loses capacity or runs out? The battery is apparently not user-replaceable. This means you can't swap out batteries to extend operating life, and you'll likely need to seek authorized service to get the battery replaced when it inevitably loses capacity or fails altogether.
How do you perform an emergency boot? What if you can't startup from the built-in drive and need to boot from a separate volume? The MacBook Air lacks an optical drive, meaning you can't boot from an inserted DVD like the Mac OS X Leopard install disc unless you purchase the $100 optional, external SuperDrive. It's not yet clear whether the MacBook Air can boot from an optical drive in another Mac via the "Remote Disc" function, but we doubt it.
How will you apply major Mac OS X updates? If you can't boot from an installer disc, how will you be able to install the next major iteration of Mac OS X? Traditionally, Mac OS X installers have required the system to boot from the disc.
How will you use target disk mode? The MacBook Air lacks a FireWire port. This means you can't use FireWire target disk mode -- an invaluable troubleshooting tool.
How will you NetBoot? The MacBook Air lacks a built-in Ethernet port, so NetBoots won't be possible by default, precluding yet another option for emergency boots. You'll need to purchase the $20 USB Ethernet adapter.

The battery and the lack of FW are holding me back from purchasing this sleek machine. Lack of an audio in also troubles me.

I use my Macs so much that I am bound to have problems and as you say what trouble shooting options will really be available apart from giving it to Apple to fix.

emotion
Jan 15, 2008, 03:11 PM

I dunno, I wouldn't say something like this is "ultraportable". If they'd kept the width and depth to a minimum more then I'd be a lot more impressed.

It's ok, the new MBPs might suit.

Jphillippe
No firewire, how would I upload my movies? I'm assuming an adapter won't be expensive. I mean with all the extra adapters to suit my needs, I would be carrying so much that it wouldn't seem so portable. I mean the laptop is great for college students but not for me. I thought 1,799 was reasonable but if you make it top notch, with taxes it comes out to about $3,700, having the 1.8 GHZ and solid state hardrive (which is small in memory), I don't really think its worth it, its like having a huge itouch. Very dissapointed in the price, with that much money you can get a top notch mac book pro that wouldn't limit so much, and I think its portable enough. This is more for making fashion statement.

weg
Another thing that is obvious about this laptop is that Apple designed with the intention that buyers are using it to supplement another computer. That means, it could be sent in without the user being computerless. They just wouldn't have their ultra-portability for a few days.

Oh, right. So I'll have to carry my MacBook pro with me in addition to the MacBook Air, just in case that it runs out of battery :D

ChrisA
Jan 15, 2008, 03:12 PM
Two things jumpped out at me: (1) You can't upgrade the RAM. It is soldered to the M/B, and (2) no firewire. So no way to use this with a video camera.

Bubbasteve
I think it's still too early to give it the "cube" moniker but IMO it's overpriced -- There's no doubt that it's an engineering marvel but that's to be expected coming from Apple....

I was expecting this machine to be sub 1,200 -- if that were the case I would be heavily tempted to purchase it

Kudos to those who have or are willing to pay for it

Orng

Well, way back in, oh, this morning, when the Macbook Air was just a rumour and a twinkle in Steve's eye, I was all like, yeah, if it has decent graphics, I could plug something like a Firelite drive into the FW port and maybe get away with some light video editing on airplanes and at the cottage.
Now I always knew I was asking too much in imagining a dedicated graphics card, (which is why I never mentioned it on a forum) but I never in my wildest dreams expected to see a Mac without Firewire...

So yeah, this machine is beautiful and has its market, and I'm not in its market, and I realized that as soon as I noticed it didn't have FW. So I can peacefully go back to scraping together the last couple hundred for a MBP now.
I'd buy one if I had the luxury of having two computers though. in a second.

yg17
Jan 15, 2008, 03:13 PM
The ethernet jack is too large, it probably didn't fit in.

So instead you have to lug around the dongle which takes up more space. Throw in the USB hub (and possibly it's power adapter if your devices are powered) and it's even more crap to carry with you.

I know one of the groups this thing is geared towards is travelers. But I know that several of the hotels I've stayed in lately were wired internet only. Of course, if you spend a lot of times on planes, you'll have an iPod and you'll want to charge it. So you have the hub and power adapter on top of the dongle. Seems like not having built in ethernet may be a huge problem for some.

MichaelLatta
Jan 15, 2008, 03:13 PM
Without wireless broadband, this very pretty machine seems to be a non-starter for a lot of business users - myself included. Apple makes no mention of an adapter on their site so sadly it looks like any adaptors will be third party add-ons for the time being. Has anyone heard of any Apple plans for one?

The ATT 3G USB adapter is available for about $100 and works great with a MBP, it should work with the AIR as well.

puckhead193
Jan 15, 2008, 03:14 PM
yay now people got their ultra portable, now i want a redesign mbp and iphone

emotion
Jan 15, 2008, 03:14 PM

It is the thinnest laptop on Earth, it has a faster processor than any comparable Vaio, and costs much *less* than any comparable Vaio.

The criticisms you guys are fielding sound as if you expected a MacBook Pro in a MacBook Air form factor at a MacBook price.

Apple is filled with great designers and engineers, not magicians. Sorry if you thought otherwise.

..I was expecting this (thin and MB sized) but really hoping for something ultraportable - the powerbook 12" is more ultraportable than this when it comes to throwing it in my bag.

PacMookBro
Jan 15, 2008, 03:17 PM
Nice laptop but this thing is no where near feature-rich compact Sony TZ. Lack of features. No replaceable RAM and battery. Only one USB. Definitely not a Pro model. Geared toward casual user. There's no reason for me to replace my MBP. So, maybe it's an excellent present for my mom's birthday. LUCKY FOR HER. ;)

Release 12" Macbook Pro that succeeds 12" Powerbook already...

Choppaface
I really don't see how this is a coherent product. it's only 0.25 inches thinner than the macbook, its missing a lot of ports, has a slower chip, and an embarassingly godawful default hard drive. (and how can they legitimately market the solid state drive as having "greater durability"???? I thought solid state was *less* durable--and then why sell the fancy thing with a 'not durable' hard drive by default?). and it's wireless only, backed by tons of marketing telling you that wireless is the trendy thing to do and totally reliable for day-to-day tasks. and it's true you can't upgrade the RAM? thank goodness it has a DVI port... by a utilitarian's assessment this thing is a failure--why does it get the industrial metal look then? it should get the toy plastic look. the super touch pad and potential of the solid state drive are very cool, and would make it a very cool *toy*, but who is supposed to buy these things?

maybe it's a big gamble? so let's say apple really is 1337 at marketing in light of the success of the iphone. and let's assume that apple marketing has perhaps found that the "thin-freak" sector of their laptop fanboys is full of mavens (e.g. mavens as in Gladwell's _The Tipping Point_). Could Apple be trying to seed something in order to build a market for a bigger product? like a tablet (a big yay in my book!) or some sort of super ipod--the future of the TV?

Jphillippe

You are right, but the price is way too expensive...its more design and brand name that we would pay for instead of the performance. And I think for this price you would think performance is out of this world. Vaio computers have their negative aspects, starting that its a PC, but their most expensive models promise ultimate performance, which this new laptop lacks. I think its great, but its a tad expensive.

ChrisA
However, I'm struggling to choose between a Thinkpad X60 or this as my next computer. I will mainly use it for college, where I will use it to take notes and stuff. As far as I can see: X60 has much better connectivity, while the Macbook air just has that "wow" factor as well as functionality. This is not a PC vs Mac issue; I just want your opinion as to which is would be more suited for my use?

Yes it is a PC vs. Mac thing. and ONLY reason to spend the $$ on Apple equipment is so you can run Mac OS X. If you don't care about that buy a PC and install Ubuntu Linux on it and almost the same thing.

As for which Macbook will be best for you. The low-end macbook would work fine and you can save like $800.

parapup
Jan 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
The VAIO VGN-CR220E has a 200Gb SATA HDD, bigger screen, built-in ethernet, replaceable battery (people report 5hr battery life), dual layer DVD burner and lower price. Apple surely could have done better.

The slow and tiny hard drive is a deal breaker for me - I need to dual boot between Vista and OSX and I can't imagine how slow Vista or anything that does more than Web/Email would be on this laptop.

Sure it looks good but IMHO the disadvantages are far too many especially with that sort of price. (My Macbook Pro battery has died 2 times so far in past 1 year - I hate to think what would happen if the battery in the Air dies.)

CaptainScarlet
Jan 15, 2008, 03:19 PM
You know what the Air is really missing?

An ExpressCard Slot...

NavyIntel007
Jan 15, 2008, 03:19 PM

Don't be dense, Citigroup just announced almost $10 Billion loss (more than 99.9% of us will see in 10 lifetimes), a large dividend cut and layoffs abound. Retail sales unexpectedly dropped for the first time since 2002. Apple's stock is not trading in a bubble, it's falling because of this news and not the product announcement.

The Macbook air is trash... so let me get this straight, I pay an 80% premium for a 40% reduction in processor speed, 50% reduction in processor cache, 20% reduction in Hard drive speed, so I can add a gig of ram, shave a quarter of an inch in width and 2 lbs? Not to mention the fact that I need to pay extra for an ethernet jack. Still need a laptop case since it's still too wide.

1 USB jack. What if I need to use the wired ethernet, CD drive, USB key and sync my ipod at the same time? I can't? Kind of defeats the point of dual core, multiprocessing power doesn't it? An external USB hub dongle kind of defeats the point of the portability aspects especially since some devices will require a powered hub...

Wireless USB would be nice... oh wait, not there either.

Here's what they should have done... Take the Powerbook 12". Take the DVD drive out. Add 1.33 Ghz ULV core 2 duo, 2 GB ram, 80 gig HD w/ SSD option and an express card slot. Probably could shrink the case .1" or so. Still charge $1799.

The Airport Extreme refresh looks great, ipod touch enhancements are awsome, Apple TV w/ movie rentals should do well (may put blockbuster out of business in 5 years, not netflix).

Macbook Air freakin' blows.

daysleeper
Jan 15, 2008, 03:20 PM
I was hoping to retire my 12" PB G4 with this one, but it looks like my geriatric baby will be asked to continue service for as long as possible.

Where is the 12", small footprint, Macbook Pro? Apple, I think you over engineered this one.

SuperChunk
Jan 15, 2008, 03:20 PM
Does the part that drops down for Headphones, USB, and Micro DVI also "pop-out" somewhat? I'm a bit concerned that when I literally use this as a laptop, my leg will cause much strain on those ports and my cables alike.

beast
Jan 15, 2008, 03:21 PM
I don't know why everyone is moaning???? Apple have released a sexy ultraportable.... it may not be as powerful as an MBP but that's not the point.... it's not targeted at being a video editing powerhouse.... it's a super portable mac with enough power and battery life to do everyday stuff with. Aside from the crazy UK price, I personally think it's a good effort from Apple.

emotion
maybe it's a big gamble? so let's say apple really is 1337 at marketing in light of the success of the iphone. and let's assume that apple marketing has perhaps found that the "thin-freak" sector of their laptop fanboys is full of mavens (e.g. mavens as in Gladwell's _The Tipping Point_). Could Apple be trying to seed something in order to build a market for a bigger product? like a tablet (a big yay in my book!) or some sort of super ipod--the future of the TV?

...or the new MBP or even Macbook. I like your line of thought.

SolRayz
Geared toward casual user. ;)

...yes and at non casual prices...sadly this will surely flop.:(

kpangilinan
Jan 15, 2008, 03:22 PM
I like how thin it is. It looks really good but the deal killer was no optical drive. I use it a lot so I'll stick with my iBook a little bit longer.

Plumbstone
Jan 15, 2008, 03:22 PM
slightly off topic, but it seems one of the biggest things anounced was this new mini-cpu intel have developed. presumably it won't be long until we have 1.8 Ghz C2C iPhones!

Back on topic, MBA looks great on paper, pricewise what you'd expect with all that miniturisation happening. Personally I need more power, but that's why I've got my MBP, 8-core MacPro,etc etc....

NC MacGuy
Jan 15, 2008, 03:23 PM

smaller footprint, swappable/replaceable battery, stereo speakers, firewire, more drive options, upgradeable ram, included optical drive, front row remote - especially at $1,8000, gimme' a break

weight is good, thin is good, still too big for most commuter jet tray tables

SeanMcg
Jan 15, 2008, 03:24 PM
and fills it at the same time.

To me, a lot of the people who post here require more power than many users, needing a lot more than this laptop can provide. I can understand why some might be underwhelmed. That and the price, but that will surely come down, especially for the SSDs.

However, this will really appeal to those who make their living doing presentations on the road, or otherwise going to meetings to take notes. I can see writers wanting to carry this instead of an MB or MBP if all they want to do is write. The machine has enough power to play back presentations or videos. The point is is that it was not made for people who require serious horsepower.

I'd like to know battery life on the SSD version: longer, shorter, same?

Consider this, though:

Apple was able to get Intel to create a version of their processor that would fit in this enclosure. What does that say about Apple's clout? Performance can only get better from here on out, eventually benefitting other products which we may not have heard about yet.

The engineering alone should have people confident about Apple's continued ability to create amazing new products.

(On the non-replaceable battery. One of the most annoying things about my MBP is the battery. While secure, it is always loose. It needs better morals :p )

ATH44
Jan 15, 2008, 03:24 PM
You know what the Air is really missing?

An ExpressCard Slot...

What's really missing is an Apple Remote, it's $19 extra.:mad:

morespce54
Jan 15, 2008, 03:25 PM
Unfortunately, two things (at least) don't cut it for me:

- Apple's site indicates that the RAM is soldered to the motherboard.
- Built-in battery is not user accessible

I guess you can't say "upgradeable" :(

Also:

- A USB Ethernet dongle is available for $29

They could (and probably should) include this one in the box... :confused:
I know, I know, Wi-Fi and such are the future but still...

Remember in the good ol' days, when you had a cable and a dock included with every (regular) iPod? :rolleyes: Those were good times :cool:

psychsplash
I love the look and the concept, but checking out the Australian MacStore, the 1.8ghz with the solid state drive clocks in at $4338!!! I'll probably wait a few more iterations before considering the macbook air.

peterlobl
Waited since Se/30 for another MAC - trod thru much PC muck & mire including "ultra" portable Vaio, Sharp's, etc

First, iPhone brought me in - now this will get me home into OS/X - the dimensions of the AIR seem real nice, screen size, price is OK and if it really goes 5hrs with wi-fi I'll be quite happy!

will have to give my Gateway a proper burial

Kuska
Well I like the new MBA for what it is and I can see it will have its uses. More and more I've found myself screen sharing my iMac via my wife's Macbook.

iMac upstairs doing the grunt work whilst I can be more sociable downstairs.

So a MBA would be great as a second lightweight/lightwork machine.

Think that mostly the MBA design is a step forward and my only real niggle is that black keyboard - just doen't work for me.

Perhaps it looks better in the flesh.

emotion
I don't know why everyone is moaning???? Apple have released a sexy ultraportable.... it may not be as powerful as an MBP but that's not the point.... it's not targeted at being a video editing powerhouse.... it's a super portable mac with enough power and battery life to do everyday stuff with. Aside from the crazy UK price, I personally think it's a good effort from Apple.

Well I wouldn't say I was being particularly moanie but it has to be said that it's hard to work out who the actual market is for this given the precariousness of peoples finances at this point in time (both in the US and Europe) and it's strange spec and niche appeal.

Maybe there's lots of people who want this kind of thing and I'm way off.

Also please consider how a machine that has the same size as the Macbook (in two of it's dimensions) is "ultraportable"....

gyumilly
Jan 15, 2008, 03:26 PM
Not sure what I'm gonna do at this point. I'm back to choose either MB or MBP. At least I eliminated 'wait until MWSF' option. No user-replacable battery and on-board 2gb ram just kill the deal for me. Besides, why mono instead of stereo at least?

sumadartson
Hrmz... If you read how badly people reacted to the iPod, and then consider how big of a success it was, then this laptop (MBA?) is bound to be a huge succes.

I'd still buy an MBP though.

clevin
will have to give my Gateway a proper burial

no, save it for an optical drive.

Virgil-TB2
This one is perfect for me. I've never wanted a laptop in my life because of the size, whenever I've had one I end up selling it because it's a pain to haul around with me - I'm constantly on the go and fast, I don't need a heavy weight with me.

However, someone told me that due to the size of it and how compact things are inside of it, it would have major heat issues that would cause it to crash, especially in the summer. How likely is this?This made me laugh out loud. You're friend is a maroon.

The thing has only *existed* for a month or so and it's still winter. :rolleyes:

How the heck do they know what will happen to it in the summer? We will find out when summer comes. Your friend must be psychic?

All one can say is that Apple has a very good track record for this sort of thing and hundreds of really smart designers and engineers, spent millions of dollars, and thousands of hours of time making the thing. I would trust them until there is a reason to think otherwise.

In other words, it's much more likely that there will be no heat problem at all than the reverse.

Doctor Q
Where is the apple on the Keyboard?It says "Command" instead of :apple:. Now we can't impress new Mac users with our wizard-like knowledge: the secret that the command key is the one with the Apple logo on it.

So instead you have to lug around the dongle which takes up more space. Throw in the USB hub (and possibly it's power adapter if your devices are powered) and it's even more crap to carry with you.I think Apple's concept is that the MBA is for people who wouldn't carry those extras around because they wouldn't need them regularly. Then again, should we consider the MacBook Air to be lacking what its users need, or is it perfect for its intended audience?

running
Everytime apple introduces something important - every single time - there is a big fanboys backlash. iPod. iPod shuffle. iPhone (it is expensive! i cannot change carrier! i cannot install apps!). The whole intel transition (OMG, i used to hate x86, now i should love it?). MacBook Pro (strange name! it heats up too much! it is not G5!). And in the end, the products turned out to be great. OK, not in all cases - iPod Boombox was quite a flop and :apple: tv too. But in most cases, the products were good and both users and apple appreciated it....

well, in this case, i cannot see any positive in Air (i really dont see reason for anyone to buy it), but well, i was the same with iPhone .... so i think it will be very succesful, despite almost everything (price, lack of features, battery...)

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jan 15, 2008, 03:27 PM
I am not sure how to take this. I think it might have stepped a little TOO far ahead. A minimalist notebook is very cool, but optical drives are still so important in many places (this shared optical drive" thing is crap, and $99 for a drive is not acceptable. No Ethernet is ok (most wireless connections are faster than the broadband speed anyways)

This is basically a mix between a UMPC and a laptop, but more laptop than UMPC. It's only UMPC in the sense that it is light.

Thumbs up on the eco-friendly stuff and I look forward to them moving this into their other lines.

qsoundrich
Jan 15, 2008, 03:27 PM
Wrong product at the wrong time. Apple poured their resources into developing this instead of upgrading the Macbook/Pro line. $700 extra for a less capable machine than the regular Macbook? I don't hear a lot of people complaining that their Macbook is "too damn big and heavy." The LED screen is probably a slight improvement in battery life, but people who actually use their computer for anything other than web surfing will be disappointed.

Now if they will just put the LED backlight and backlit keyboard into the Macbook, I might be ready for a new one.

ukor
Jan 15, 2008, 03:29 PM
Is the HD upgradable at a later date to a less pricey SSD?

PacMookBro
Don't be dense, Citigroup just announced almost $10 Billion loss (more than 99.9% of us will see in 10 lifetimes), a large dividend cut and layoffs abound. Retail sales unexpectedly dropped for the first time since 2002. Apple's stock is not trading in a bubble, it's falling because of this news and not the product announcement.

The Macbook air is trash... so let me get this straight, I pay an 80% premium for a 40% reduction in processor speed, 50% reduction in processor cache, 20% reduction in Hard drive speed, so I can add a gig of ram, shave a quarter of an inch in width and 2 lbs? Not to mention the fact that I need to pay extra for an ethernet jack. Still need a laptop case since it's still too wide.

1 USB jack. What if I need to use the wired ethernet, CD drive, USB key and sync my ipod at the same time? I can't? Kind of defeats the point of dual core, multiprocessing power doesn't it? An external USB hub dongle kind of defeats the point of the portability aspects especially since some devices will require a powered hub...

Wireless USB would be nice... oh wait, not there either.

Here's what they should have done... Take the Powerbook 12". Take the DVD drive out. Add 1.33 Ghz ULV core 2 duo, 2 GB ram, 80 gig HD w/ SSD option and an express card slot. Probably could shrink the case .1" or so. Still charge $1799.

The Airport Extreme refresh looks great, ipod touch enhancements are awsome, Apple TV w/ movie rentals should do well (may put blockbuster out of business in 5 years, not netflix).

Macbook Air freakin' blows.

Well said. MBA blows. The styling cue resembles curvy futuristic Dell.

viccles
Not for me. I'll keep my MBP

gkarris
well, in this case, i cannot see any positive in Air (i really dont see reason for anyone to buy it), but well, i was the same with iPhone .... so i think it will be very succesful, despite almost everything (price, lack of features, battery...)

I have a Thinkpad X31 sub-note and it is one of the best computers I've owned. Especially with a bad back!

Apple really did their homework on this one. This is PERFECT for the average sub-note user that doesn't really want to go the PC route.

I'm glad they were able to keep the price below $1800. I was expecting it to be more like $2199...

maccuser
few things really bother me:

u cant upgrade the ram, no apple remote, battery is stock, 80 gigs definitely not enough at least a 100.. other than that the design is phenomenal and price is ok for this thing compared to sony..cant expect more for this small form factor

As for this years macworld, it was upsetting, I wish they would announce new MBP which they could but off course what would they announce at WWDC..

Does anybody know if the processor on this thing is 45nm new Intel processors???

Catch
Jan 15, 2008, 03:30 PM
Great stuff. I will buy six of them for the Directors and 'road' managers of the business. They have all been asking for this for a long time. Finally Apple!

Regards,

C

HailToTheVictor
My MBP CoreDuo seems so old now, I just really want that multitouch trackpad:(

Virgil-TB2
I like it, but I am glad Apple offers the MacBook and the MacBook Pro, as well. Choice is good.

And I look forward to the update to those latter two models as soon as Intel either starts shipping mobile Penryns or come May when the new Montevina CPU comes out.I agree.

This is so obviously a 1.0 product that will eventually filter out into the whole laptop line. They will get even smaller and eventually just become "MacBooks" (or Pros).

For instance, there is nothing to stop a MacBook Pro running Leopard to use the CD drive on your main computer if the software is installed. How long will it take before we start looking at our optical drives and wondering why we have the stupid things if that's the case? :)

This is just the bleeding edge raising it's head again.

chesleya

If the batter runs out, I'm sure that Apple will have same-day turnaround service for replacing it. I've had a logic board replaced on my Macbook in forty minutes. They're very good at the retail stores. For those not near a retail store, you will most likely have to mail it in, but it shouldn't take more than two days.

If for some reason, you are willing to spend 1800 dollars on a notebook and not buy the 100 dollar external DVD drive, Apple will certainly come up with a solution. It will, most likely, be more complicated than simply inserting a Restore DVD, but it will work. It will probably involve Remote Disk. Why don't you think that will work for restores? From what I've read so far, it seems to act no differently than if a CD was in your computer. As others have said, this is not designed to be the only computer you own.

For TDM, I think that the MBA signals the death of FireWire. With the release of USB 3.0 just a few years away, FireWire (even FW 800) won't be able to catch up. I think that Apple is moving in the right direction by removing the disk drive and the FW port. And, are you really too stingy to buy the $20 ethernet adapter? It's no different than having to buy a display adapter for the Macbook (which the MBA includes two of).

My biggest prediction relating to the MBA is that 10.6 will be available without a media, as a direct download. It will probably involve some ungodly amount of DRM, but I'm sure it will happen.

Norris3eb
Did anyone else find todays announcement disappointing? I mean, c'mon! MacBook <i>Air</i>?

I was kind of hoping for a Penryn-included MacBook Pro.

solace
Sleek and thin but unfortunately the foot print is too big. No where as ultra portable as Asusand Sony's 12 inch laptops.

yeah, it kind of bugs me no sites are highlighting the fact that it is LARGER than the current MacBook, just thinner and lighter:

MacBook Air

Size and weight
Height: 0.16-0.76 inch (0.4-1.94 cm)
Width: 12.8 inches (32.5 cm)
Depth: 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)
Weight: 3.0 pounds (1.36 kg)1

MacBook

Size and weight

* Height: 1.08 inches (2.75 cm)
* Width: 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)
* Depth: 8.92 inches (22.7 cm)
* Weight: 5.0 pounds (2.27 kg)

a sub-compact laptop this is not.

an 11" widescreen with a decent resolution, now that would be.

shideg
Jan 15, 2008, 03:31 PM
Does it have a Kensington-style security lock slot?

Thickness wasn't really the dimension I was interested in seeing reduced. I would love to have a 12-inch MacBook Pro.

Glideslope
Jan 15, 2008, 03:32 PM
Poor Name Choice. Should be the "MacBook Toy."

Where is my ********** Mid Range Tower? Dam you Apple!!!!!

Chupa Chupa
Jan 15, 2008, 03:32 PM
Is the HD upgradable at a later date to a less pricey SSD?

Probably not. If I were to make an educated guess I'd say the SSD is soldered in and not upgradable. After all if you could do that you wouldn't need to buy a new MBA next year.

macidiot
Jan 15, 2008, 03:33 PM
The most significant Apple news at Macworld this year was the preannounced Mac Pro updates. :rolleyes:

And the best product was Time Capsule. Very nice product at a great price.

NC MacGuy
Does it have a Kensington-style security lock slot?

Thickness wasn't really the dimension I was interested in seeing reduced. I would love to have a 12-inch MacBook Pro.

here, here!!

shideg
yeah, it kind of bugs me no sites are highlighting the fact that it is LARGER than the current MacBook, just thinner and lighter:

MacBook Air

Size and weight
Height: 0.16-0.76 inch (0.4-1.94 cm)
Width: 12.8 inches (32.5 cm)
Depth: 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)
Weight: 3.0 pounds (1.36 kg)1

MacBook

Size and weight

* Height: 1.08 inches (2.75 cm)
* Width: 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)
* Depth: 8.92 inches (22.7 cm)
* Weight: 5.0 pounds (2.27 kg)

The english dimensions differ, but the metric dimensions are the same.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jan 15, 2008, 03:34 PM
Overpriced and underpowered.
Agreed. In November I bought a MacBook for $1500.
Here are the specs...
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
120GB Serial ATA @ 5400rpm
SuperDrive 8x DL
5.0 pounds

So... BETTER than the MacBook Air, cheaper than the MacBook Air, slightly heavier than the MacBook Air.. oh and I get over 3.5+ hours of battery life with the backlight on the monitor turned down.

A MacBook is by FAR a better deal. It doesnt have the "cool" factor, but it's still better than most other notebooks out there.

lmalave
Jan 15, 2008, 03:34 PM
I think Apple is following a similar strategy as it did with the 12" PowerBook. The 12" PB did not really have feature parity with the larger PowerBooks - it was more like a souped-up 12" iBook within a slimmer and lighter casing.

To its credit, in this go 'round Apple at least differentiated the MBA much more so that it's not just a slightly smaller version of the MacBook (which has the same screen size. By going so thin and light (2 lbs. less and about half the thickness), it is really in a different category altogether than the MB.

That being said, a 13" laptop is not what I would consider an ultraportable - it's more of just a "thin and light" computer. What I am still waiting for is a true ultraportable with an 11" screen and only 2 lb. weight (which would probably have to be a bit thicker to accomodate the internal components).

An 11" computer would be much more of a game-changer, especially if it was offered at a lower price point ($1299 or less). Computers like the Asus EEE PC have shown that there is a demand in the market for small and inexpensive computer, to the point that people are even willing to accept a ridiculously small 7" screen. I think Apple can try to fill the higher end of that niche with a computer that maybe costs twice as much but has a much larger screen (and of course Mac OS X).

clevin
Jan 15, 2008, 03:35 PM
Poor Name Choice. Should be the "MacBook Toy."

Where is my ********** Mid Range Tower? Dam you Apple!!!!!

MacBook Paper!

Pressure
Here in the Netherlands the Macbook Air costs 1699 euro, so Apple is finally letting go of the dollar/euro equality. Still, it's cheaper to buy one in the US i guess (wich would be 1209 euros :| ).

It's €1745 here in Denmark, which renders it a no-go. Especially considering $1799 is €1209 at the current exchange rate.

Also, the :apple:-TV is still over €300 here in Denmark. Not pretty.

I have a feeling that the MacBook may come down in price some. Besides the weigth and thinnest, the only thing this realy brings is the multi-touch keypad.

3 levels
a) traveler - MacBook Air
b) General polulation - MacBook
c) Pro and gamer - MacBook Pro

Too much of a generalization for my liking. It solely depends on what your needs are in a certain profession.

gkarris
Did anyone else find todays announcement disappointing? I mean, c'mon! MacBook <i>Air</i>?

I was kind of hoping for a Penryn-included MacBook Pro.

A friend of mine was hoping for a 13" MBP. I want an Aluminum MacBook. But I think the MacBooks and MBP's are generally updated in the late Spring in time for grad gifts?

Chupa Chupa
My MBP CoreDuo seems so old now, I just really want that multitouch trackpad:(

Wait a couple of weeks for the Penryn based MBPs. I bet they have this too.

QCassidy352
Underwhelmed is a good description for what I am feeling. Not disappointed but am not scrambling to pre-order. Oh, well, back to work.

Same. I think this thing definitely has a market, and for those people, it will be very good. But I'm sitting on an 18 month old macbook and itching to upgrade... and this thing isn't even a consideration for me.

I think it would be a great second mac for someone who has a desktop, but it simply couldn't work as a desktop replacement (which even a macbook can do - I have mine hooked up to external mouse/KB/speakers/display/HD when at my desk).

solace
Jan 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
The english dimensions differ, but the metric dimensions are the same.

interesting... maybe it's smaller everywhere but the US? ;)
they probably just rounded up w/ the English dimensions for the Air?

either way, it's hardly sub-compact. just a thin Macbook

pianoplayer1
Jan 15, 2008, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=dAlen;4759836]First, to much space around screen.

Either have a bigger screen, or reduce the trimming around it to hug the 13 inch monitor. This reminds me of the 'fat' flat displays that were out in plastic version before they got a trim in the aluminum version. [/Q

I thought the same thing when I saw it!

offwidafairies
Jan 15, 2008, 03:38 PM
i know it's already been said - but dam its so expensive. such a shame... i need something smaller than my 17" mbp to carry to university. i would have spent 1200. o well... guess i'll go with a dell

slffl
Jan 15, 2008, 03:39 PM
Looks AWESOME! Can't wait to get one.

slffl
Jan 15, 2008, 03:39 PM
i know it's already been said - but dam its so expensive. such a shame... i need something smaller than my 17" mbp to carry to university. i would have spent 1200. o well... guess i'll go with a dell

I take it you don't use OSX? Have fun with the dell.

Bush438
Jan 15, 2008, 03:40 PM
Not too tech savvy here.

Does it include the new intel 45nm processor everybody has been talking about or is it what has been standard in the other Macbooks?

deputy_doofy
Jan 15, 2008, 03:40 PM
Looking forward to see what Rev. B or Rev. C will bring. I'm not in a market for anything right now, but I could see myself replacing my 12" PB with this thing down the line.

As usual, I'll ignore the whiners and complainers. After all, as someone pointed out a couple days ago, everybody hated the iPod and Apple for releasing just another MP3 player. :p

HailToTheVictor
Jan 15, 2008, 03:42 PM
A couple of things:

1) If Apple can get Intel to make custom sized chips, why can't they get a screen manufacturer to make a screen that fills out the lid a bit more. Also, does anyone know if these chips are exclusive to Apple, or are other companies using them/ going to?

2) Didn't Samsung release the 1.8" 160gb drive? If so, why not make that an option in these things? 80gb is just too small, and yes I know you can take an external, but why not the option for the larger drive?

puffnstuff
I think Apple is following a similar strategy as it did with the 12" PowerBook. The 12" PB did not really have feature parity with the larger PowerBooks - it was more like a souped-up 12" iBook within a slimmer and lighter casing.

To its credit, in this go 'round Apple at least differentiated the MBA much more so that it's not just a slightly smaller version of the MacBook (which has the same screen size. By going so thin and light (2 lbs. less and about half the thickness), it is really in a different category altogether than the MB.

That being said, a 13" laptop is not what I would consider an ultraportable - it's more of just a "thin and light" computer. What I am still waiting for is a true ultraportable with an 11" screen and only 2 lb. weight (which would probably have to be a bit thicker to accomodate the internal components).

An 11" computer would be much more of a game-changer, especially if it was offered at a lower price point ($1299 or less). Computers like the Asus EEE PC have shown that there is a demand in the market for small and inexpensive computer, to the point that people are even willing to accept a ridiculously small 7" screen. I think Apple can try to fill the higher end of that niche with a computer that maybe costs twice as much but has a much larger screen (and of course Mac OS X).

Agreed

illitrate23
well i'm ordering one next week (gotta wait for letter from work to tell me how much bonus i'm getting - if it's enough then i'm getting the ssd) because it's exactly what i need
my black macbook at teh moment is sorely underused for it's abilities. i don't make any use of a 2nd usb slot (barely use the one anyway) never used ethernet, i do all my main work on my iMac, and the Air will be fine for playing warcraft on (and probably starcraft2 when it arrives) should i feel the need to game away from my desk

that, and it is the most damn sexiest thing in the whole wide world and i just cannot resist its sirens call :)

adk
Jan 15, 2008, 03:43 PM
I don't have any problems with the fact that the battery doesn't come out, but I think apple should create some sort of external battery that can plug into the MagSafe port to allow users to go longer between charges.

HOTROD
Jan 15, 2008, 03:43 PM
Let me see if I have this correct:

- Nearly twice the price of the more capable MacBook
- Still has a footprint larger than the Sony they used for
comparison
- No Optical Drive
- No Ethernet Port
- All external accessories must compete for one USB port
- Can't take an extra battery with you
- Weighs the same 3 pounds as the Sony?
(That can't be right?)
- No dedicated graphics
- Non upgradeable memory
- 1.8" drive (SLOW!)

So who exactly is this for?

Definitely impressed with the multi-touch trackpad and the LED display will be good for battery life and the environment.

Redeeming qualities are that the availability of the SSD will help get that technology to market cheaper and quicker and the reduced size (heat?) processor will probably now show up in the Sony and other competitor's machines (largely covering any advantage Apple had).

I am really disappointed with this announcement. I have waited several YEARS for an adequate replacement to my 12" G4 Powerbook and I hoped that this would be it. Guess I will keep waiting.

Thanks Apple, I'll pass.

jlbrown23
Jan 15, 2008, 03:44 PM
Apple has laptops with the features you are complaining about the Air not having. The Air is made for travel, and not for people to have as their only computer. This is made to be as LIGHT as possible by ditching marginally useful accesories. 3lbs vs 5lbs IS a big deal when you are hauling a laptop around the world on planes to give Powerpoint presentations. What is missing?

-Optical drive: A giant, unnecessary brick. With SD cards, thumb drives(you can get 4GB flash drives for $25) and high speed wireless, optical drives are going the way of the floppy. I almost never use the one on my MacBook. I have an IBM X40 for work and love how light it is and NEVER use the usb DVD drive I have for it.

-Firewire: Yeah Apple pushed it, but they're throwing in the towel. USB is VHS, Firewire is Betamax. Or for you kids out there; USB is Blu Ray, Firewire is HD-DVD.

-Ethernet: And there is no dial-up modem either. Or a SCSI port. Once again, why include something that for the most part is not used?(Yes, some of you use it all of the time, and all of you use it some of the time - but wireless is the defacto standard on laptops. I'll plug my Macbook in once in a while when it isn't playing nice with my Verizon router, but that is another issue).

-Soldered RAM: Not crazy about this, but once again probably a necessary sacrifice for weight/compactness.

-Non-Replacable Battery: OK, this does stink. It is possible that it is also a result of design elements needed for compactness, but Apple does not have a good track record here. Then again, batteries are getting good enough that you may never NEED to replace them. It would be nice if Apple just ripped you off on the battery price & not the installation too(wow do they charge way too much for this. I should start a business...), but nobody is perfect. Remind yourself that you COULD be using Windows, and they would let you swap your battery for free.

dAlen
Jan 15, 2008, 03:45 PM
Wait a couple of weeks for the Penryn based MBPs. I bet they have this too.

Intel has announced the Penryn chips that Apple will use in the macbook pros and the iMacs.

Other PC vendors will use the new Penryn chips and Apple will have to follow.

Consider this: With the macbook pros only being about $200 more than this 'air book' - an announcement of an update (macbook pro) would take away from potential sales.

Give it 2 weeks when this thing launches - they are taking pre-orders, and then you will get the updates quietly to the macbook pro.

Think about it:

Sleek 'airbook' and 2 lbs lighter. Very nice...but -
1) Worse video card than pro
2) not as expandable in memory as pro
3) not as large harddrive as pro
4) not as tight trim around monitor as pro (wast of space on the air... it could have been yet smaller in width)
5) no fire wire ports for me to hook up my firewire dvd player
5a) I dont have wifi, so apples connect method wont work
6) Not as fast as Pro

Sure, you take out everything that makes the laptop a laptop and price it for only $200 less than the pro machine, someone buys it and thinks its a deal...well it is - for apple.

Is that 2 lbs worth it if you compare how much you loose between that an a pro machine that is not that much more expensive? See where Im coming from? ;)

Peace

dAlen

coffey7
Jan 15, 2008, 03:46 PM
The price is the biggest deal buster. If it was $1200 or less and was more than just a fancy emailing machine I might get one. I can't believe I sold my macbook a few months ago to wait for this thing to come out.
1.Apple's site indicates that the RAM is soldered to the motherboard.
2. Built-in battery is not user accessible

Those 2 are really big negatives. They will have tons of problems with the batteries just like I had with every single one of my ipods and my macbook. It will stink not being able to replace it myself. This machine is not what I need or want.

Can this machine even run Vista prem with the low graphics capability?

Deanster
Folks, this machine is targeted squarely at the Executive Suite, it's a 'Halo creation device'.

The size, style, and feature set is geared towards people with titles like 'Director', 'Chief', and 'Vice'. It's not a production machine, it's not a student machine, and it's not an 'only' machine.

It is my belief (as a longtime tech marketing schmuck) that the primary purpose of this machine is to create as much visibility as humanly possible for Apple in the leadership of companies and organizations as a style-driven, ultra-attractive, mid-priced option, with a bonus 'bragging rights' upgrade to a truly costly version with the latest tech (SSD).

But execs don't need the power, don't need the externals, and have minions to handle little things like booking hotels with wireless, packing dongles in the bag, and doing updates. (OK, not at my company... I'm both the boss and the tech minion. Poor planning on my part, really!).

And as someone with a 'Chief' in his title (of a $10m company - small potatoes!), I'll have one. Yes, I will have one. Soooooooon.

spaceryder
I think the Air will be perfect for those of us who want a lightweight laptop for work, travel, etc.

The only thing that's really pi33ing me off is the price difference:US price $1799 = 900, but in the UK its 1200!!!

Why does everyone and his wife rip us off in the UK??

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to import said item including freight, tax, etc?

Padriac
What percentage of people (college kids, etc.)
- Buy an extra battery?
- Replace their internal hard disk, RAM, etc?
- Even know what an ethernet cable looks like?

I don't think these things even register to most people. Sure some of you might "need" these things, but most don't. That's why Apple offers different models to suit different needs.

Just sayin'

jhande
Jan 15, 2008, 03:47 PM

Well, I was expecting a thin'ish laptop/ultraportable, with pared down processor specs, no silly frills like keyboard backlighting or *anything* else that suck power unnecessarily. Why? To be able to have a full working day without having to be tethered to an outlet.

Note the bit about the 'pared down' processor specs.....?

It's pretty, but I'll pass.

It is real purty tho'

zioxide
Jan 15, 2008, 03:49 PM
-Firewire: Yeah Apple pushed it, but they're throwing in the towel. USB is VHS, Firewire is Betamax. Or for you kids out there; USB is Blu Ray, Firewire is HD-DVD.

hahaha, no.

chubad
No replaceable battery!? WTF? The fan boys will be rushing to justify this with all sorts of excuses. Also the glossy screen makes a big no thanks for me. Download the tour and you can see screen reflections everywhere. What is with Apple trying to make uses have glossy screens. They SUK.:mad:
That had to be the most boring, lame Keynote in a very long time. I must be getting old and jaded but thinner notebooks, and movie rentals? What innovation. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:rolleyes:

imwoblin
Folks, this machine is targeted squarely at the Executive Suite, it's a 'Halo creation device'.

The size, style, and feature set is geared towards people with titles like 'Director', 'Chief', and 'Vice'. It's not a production machine, it's not a student machine, and it's not an 'only' machine.

It is my belief (as a longtime tech marketing schmuck) that the primary purpose of this machine is to create as much visibility as humanly possible for Apple in the leadership of companies and organizations as a style-driven, ultra-attractive, mid-priced option, with a bonus 'bragging rights' upgrade to a truly costly version with the latest tech.

And as someone with a 'Chief' in his title (of a $10m company - small potatoes, really), I'll have one. Yes, I will have one. Soooooooon.

Apple tried this once before..... it was called the G4 Cube!

marklin
I am watching the video

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/#ad

Do you know the song title? I have enjoyed very much

ainsssss As relaxing ....

jejeje

Cloudane
Jan 15, 2008, 03:50 PM
Love it, very impressive!

But other than the ultra-portability and the wow-factor when pulling it out in front of colleagues/friends/classmates etc I'm not sure it's worth it. At that price point I'd be tempted to pay much less for a more powerful machine (MacBook) or a little more for some real power (MacBook Pro)

Time will tell how successful it is :)

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jan 15, 2008, 03:51 PM
hahaha, no.

agreed. i tend to think Firewire is gaining momentum.

HailToTheVictor
What percentage of people (college kids, etc.)
- Buy an extra battery?
- Replace their internal hard disk, RAM, etc?
- Even know what an ethernet cable looks like?

I don't think these things even register to most people. Sure some of you might "need" these things, but most don't. That's why Apple offers different models to suit different needs.

Just sayin'

Yes to all three:cool:

NC MacGuy
Things I could have lived with:
Glossy display
no optical drive
weight
thinness
price
processor

Things making my decision to wait for MB/MBP updates:
non-replaceable battery
large footprint
ram upgradability

I think apple has targeted a market here and it's not the everyday laptop user - definitely a niche driven product. Seeing my ipods batteries die over the years I think it inconceivable apple is trying that model with a laptop. My word, I've replaced every laptop battery I've ever had at 1.5-2.5 years. And what about the cross country flights when I pack a spare? Really sad that it's not my cup of tea....

ripper720
Jan 15, 2008, 03:53 PM
MBA looks great and I like the concept. I use my iBook for just mail and the web while watching TV and use my desktop mac for anything that requires a bit of power so this would do that a similar job. The only thing is that is a lot of money for a 'cut down' bit of kit. If it was $500 I'd go for one.

Cloudane
Jan 15, 2008, 03:53 PM
I think the Air will be perfect for those of us who want a lightweight laptop for work, travel, etc.

The only thing that's really pi33ing me off is the price difference:US price $1799 = 900, but in the UK its 1200!!!

Why does everyone and his wife rip us off in the UK??

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to import said item including freight, tax, etc?

Probably about 300 once you've paid tax and import duty.

Blame our arse-raping government, not the American companies :)

maccuser
Jan 15, 2008, 03:54 PM
Steve says the thinnest laptop in the world, biggest BS ever..off course it is also much wider and lengthier than sony TZ...

KindredMAC
At first gush I was in total lust over it.

At sloppy seconds I started feeling some uncertainty.

At my third time around the block I had some issues.

Now at 4am of an all night bender I'm not so sure that this laptop really makes sense in today's world.....

Give it about 60 days after release and you will see a boat load of these appear in the Refurb Store. There is too much that can and WILL go wrong with all the parts that users can't get at.

There will be a mountain load of RAM and HD's that are bad. Batteries will die like the MacBooks and the whole unit will have to be sent in to get replaced. Hinges on the USB/DVI/Audio port will break from misuse.

The price point has also really broken my heart over the Air also. I understand that this fits inbetween the MacBook and MBPro, but in reality a laptop like this should be below the MacBook and priced at $799 for the lack of features it showcases.

Unfortunately, and I have NEVER said this before, I think we are looking at the next Cube. It's almost too revolutionary for today's world at this price point, like the Cube was. I give it 16 months.

Nabooly
Is this a joke? I mean seriously! You might as well just buy a PDA and save yourself $2k!!

I can live with all the limitations (which are quite a few) except for the no optical drive art! What the hell were they thinking!! Just because your on a "business trip" doesnt mean that you wont need an optical drive!

What if u get to your destination and go in the meeting room and your boss has a cd full of a bunch of figures he wants you to analyze?? Thats great for you people that supposedly never use the optical drive, but what about all the rest of us? Were not at the stage where we can use USB for everything.

HOTROD
Jan 15, 2008, 03:55 PM
Apple tried this once before..... it was called the G4 Cube!

Amen.

This feature set would have been perfect with a 10.6" screen, thereby making it infinitely more usable on a plane. 13.3" leaves a big footprint (relatively speaking).

People will buy it of course, because its the latest (not greatest) Apple, but I can't see why. Guess thats why Steve has his job and I don't.

elgruga
I think I like it - after looking at 4087 pics....

I would really like it if it was about 2 -3 inches smaller in its length and width.
It isnt a breakthrough in size, its more like a breakthrough in how to flatten something.

Thats my feeling - its just too big. Have to see one in the flesh though.:confused:

durant0s
What am I to do if I want to hard wire to the net instead of using wifi and also need to use an usb accessible device, like say my optical drive!

azentropy
Jan 15, 2008, 03:56 PM

I think that is why I'm so disappointed. With the release of the MacBook Air it rules out a true ultraportable as I don't see Apple releasing a 4th distinct laptop line.

rockthecasbah
Jan 15, 2008, 03:56 PM
agreed. i tend to think Firewire is gaining momentum.

It's gaining momentum yet Apple strips it from it's premier media players (and now computers)? That's a laugh. Firewire isn't dead by any means, especially since a fair amount of cameras and hard drives still use it, but i fail to see how it is gaining momentum.

aussie_geek
Jan 15, 2008, 03:57 PM
how can a site devoted to mac computers have soooo many people on complaining about an awesome new technology that we've just been introduced to??

so it's not YOUR perfect machine for everything YOU want to do. get over yourselves.

it's thin, it's fun, and it's revolutionary.

lets just enjoy it! :apple:

Meh - fanboy statement. :rolleyes:

We have all expected alot from Apple in the past and still do. This machine while looks nice is lacking in hardware performance and included technology. They are a little ahead of themselves I think.

Ram is soldered to MB - no upgrade.

Battery is inbuilt - no upgrade.

1 Usb port - should have at least 2.

Mono Sound.

HD -1.8 inch PATA - 80 GB. Why not the Samsung 160GB?

No CD - U need an external APPLE drive. Also I am not too keen on installing software over wireless.... This functionality pretty much requires you to have a draft N router. Not everybody has these.

So, when you buy this , be ready for buying an external CD, a new router and Applecare for sure. Too much $$$ - Over $3k here in au incl all the upgrades / warranty accessories that would make this computer complete.

The price you pay for new tech. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice looking computer and it will sell well. Not for me though - and going by the negative votes on the thread here at MR it is a definite no vote from the majority of forum members.

When it has USER REPLACEABLE Ram up to 4GB, at least a 2GHz core 2 , and a replaceable battery I may be interested. Version 2 will be out for XMAS me thinks.

Also, Apple has blown their trumpet about it being more recyclable / environmentally friendly. This is literally a throw away computer. What about all those chemicals in the battery that will end up in landfill. I suppose , when the battery dies you could run it off mains power as a desktop but the thought of having a dead Lithium Polymer battery in your house always hooked up to a power source is asking for an inferno.

aussie_geek

/dev/toaster
Jan 15, 2008, 03:57 PM
Any information on what type of video card is in it ? Seriously, I need to know how WoW would play on it. I might be eligible for an upgrade soon at work and if it runs WoW good, I might replace my MBP with it :D

elcid
Jan 15, 2008, 03:58 PM
All this rhetoric about how it is going to fail reminds me of the story of the Literary Digest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_Digest). In this case it is MacRumors and the people sending the cards back are the members. We are all eliteists. Anyone that knew today was MWSF and watched the blog represent a very small and a very opionated, power using group.

For all of you who say this is going to flop, do you think that Apple just through something together and didnt think to do some research on it?

In summation never underestimate first time laptop owners that are going to college. Their parents will pay for anything and smaller is always good. How many of you would feel fine telling someone "This is great for what you do. its light and portable and will work great to surf the web and manage your iPod."

I never use ethernet, I never use my disc drive. I rarely use USB (yay bluetooth) and the most that comes out of my MB is the power cord. For those of you who make the arguement that a USB hub "defeats the purpose of portability" you are making it with accessories I wouldnt carry around with me anyways. Wired keyboard, wired mouse, iPod dock, external HD and a SuperDrive to quote one poster. C'mon.

Don't underestimate the wow that will be generated by college bound kids and non-power users.

Bababasjd
Jan 15, 2008, 03:59 PM
Looks like some short work with a torx will show us what's under the hood. Anybody carrying at MWSF? You'd only need a few minutes to distract the staff. :p

Okay I was about to buy it until I figured out it does not support the 30inch apple lcd. I wish apple made it a bit thinner to support dual link dvi or at least a floppy. I dont know this notebooks really is over hyped i think apple fans really need to calm down. The only thing that is really good is how thin it is but i still like. I don't like the keyboard though! But nothing is perfect you know apple does their best, they take on risks, and this is a big risk. I think this was a bold move and apple did their best. Lets just see how it sells.

jlbrown23
Jan 15, 2008, 03:59 PM
Let me see if I have this correct:

- Still has a footprint larger than the Sony they used for
comparison
- All external accessories must compete for one USB port
- 1.8" drive (SLOW!)

Thanks Apple, I'll pass.

See my other post for your other points, but:

-Footprint? Who cares about the footprint? It is about WEIGHT and BULK.
-USB: A bit of a weakness(especially for those of us who use USB to charge our iPods & cell phones while travelling overseas), but a hub is an easy enough solution.
-1.8" Drive: Not ideal, but remember this is meant to be LIGHT and portable, so sacrifices are necessary. There are other MacBooks for those who want speed - get one of those. Who cares how fast your drive is if you are answering email, preparing a Powerpoint presentation or loading songs on to your iPod? My IBM X40 sucks for processing power, but in the middle of taking taxis around Shanghai for 3 weeks I was glad it only weighs 3 lbs. I'm not playing Bioshock on business trips or vacations.

If Apple could make a laptop that was all things to all users, they wouldn't have 6 different models. As it is I think they offer all the choices that anyone would want, and the Air fills the one niche(LIGHT) they were missing.

If you really like the Sony(and they are the best Win laptops IMO, so not a bad choice), go buy it and I hope you enjoy Vista. If you could run OSX on them, it might not be a bad way to go(of course you CAN, but it can be a little buggy...).

/dev/toaster
Jan 15, 2008, 04:00 PM

Uh ... never mind, I totally lost interest in it. I want a replaceable battery for my iPhone, but I require a replaceable battery on a laptop. This is not acceptable.

maccuser
Jan 15, 2008, 04:01 PM
Meh - fanboy statement. :rolleyes:

We have all expected alot from Apple in the past and still do. This machine while looks nice is lacking in hardware performance and included technology. They are a little ahead of themselves I think.

Ram is soldered to MB - no upgrade.

1 Usb port - should have at least 2.

Mono Sound.

HD -1.8 inch PATA - 80 GB. Why not the Samsung 160GB?

No CD - U need an external APPLE drive. Also I am not too keen on installing software over wireless.... This functionality pretty much requires you to have a draft N router. Not everybody has these.

So, when you buy this , be ready for buying an external CD, a new router and Applecare for sure. Too much $$$ - Over $3k here in au incl all the upgrades / warranty accessories that would make this computer complete.

The price you pay for new tech. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice looking computer and it will sell well. Not for me though - and going by the negative votes on the thread here at MR it is a definite no vote from the majority of forum members.

When it has USER REPLACEABLE Ram up to 4GB, at least a 2GHz core 2 , and a replaceable battery I may be interested. Version 2 will be out for XMAS me thinks.

Also, Apple has blown their trumpet about it being more recyclable / environmentally friendly. This is literally a throw away computer. What about all those chemicals in the battery that will end up in landfill. I suppose , when the battery dies you could run it off mains power as a desktop but the thought of having a dead Lithium Polymer battery in your house always hooked up to a power source is asking for an inferno.

aussie_geek

Plz dont tell me they could have used a 160 gig instead plz..if they could they are stupid for not using one...what can u actually do with 80 gigs?? I wanted to install windows on this thing for some of the softwares i need..not sure if i can do that..

no-names-left
Jan 15, 2008, 04:02 PM
What happened to the MacBook Pro? It is LOOOOOONG overdue for an update. I was very disappointed that no changes were made to the line to coinside with the Air. As far as the Air, I am concerned about fragility. I also don't quite understand the need... shaving 2.5 pounds vs. performance and expense. Just another cool gadget.

I was going to sell Apple before the keynote... should have.

mergatroidal
The magnetic connection on the Book and Pro line is great, innovative, and I'm sure the Air line of laptops still has that brick of a transformer hanging off from an electrical outlet.

Just a suggestion: the transformer should be maybe at least a half foot length (or more) of wire's distance away from where the magnet connection upon the laptop is, so that any sudden tripping pull to the wire will first pull the heavy transformer, and dissipating the force of the pull away before then causing the disconnect of the magnet and the cord from the computer.

I'm sure Apple design engineers have gone through the gamut as far as thinking of a design for the electrical cord, and this idea was already thought of and nixt.

Macally (http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=82) designed a power cord for the G4 similar to what I describe, though not magnetic. Probably patents preclude doing so.

Hope those guys thought that brick out of the Air Book line.

flapjack0815
Hi everypody. I am sorry to throw in this off-topic comment, but I just had to.

Truly a tasteless performance by Randy Newman. A fallen genious.

... But great products. I love the Macbook Air. May be just a little too pricy.

Cheers,
fj

EvryDayImShufln
Jan 15, 2008, 04:03 PM
There's one thing about the macbook air though: even though it's not as powerful as the macbooks or macbook pros, it's still about 1000x as powerful as the 12 inch G4.

AppleMojo
This Air is a pretty stinkin' advanced piece of machinery, yet because of all of the whacked hype, MacRumor's users give it 1/3 more negative than positive reviews.

With comments like: "I can't use it as a developer, so its not practical" or "battery can't be replaced, it's worthless"

What!?

If your a developer, what are you doing reviewing ultra-thin portables for anyway?

Lets whine now about the lack of power to process all of your video editing... on a machine that wasn't designed for that purpose... And we'll give it negative marks for that too.

Because you wouldn't use it, doesn't mean it's "useless".

I myself, probably won't end up with one as I am mostly tied to a desk. But personally I think its one fantastic little piece of hardware.

.. and for all of the "thanks, but I'll pass" -- you were probably just looking for reasons because you can't afford it.

It's sad.

mutantteenager
Then again, batteries are getting good enough that you may never NEED to replace them.

OMG were you sold as a baby to Apple? This simply isn't true, no matter what spin Apple put on it!

You may love Apple but I'm very sure they don't love you as much fanboy!

coffey7
Jan 15, 2008, 04:04 PM
I'm sure if Sony and Lenovo wanted to make a laptop this thin(and 13.3 instead of 11") they could do it in a heartbeat. All you have to do is cut out all of the same features that apple did. My friends X61 thinkpad is 12" and is lighter with more power and features. AND it was only $800 with an E-coupon.

maccuser
I was going to sell Apple before the keynote... should have.[/QUOTE]

agreed

donga
when the hype settles, seems like a good laptop for those who truly want portability and for the first adopters... on the flip side, i think i'd still look at macbooks and really wish for a 12" macbook pro.

to me it's worth it to have the drive in the laptop, not next to it as an accessory. so many reasons to just look at other options besides the mba.

Teddy's
Jan 15, 2008, 04:05 PM
The shame of the Folio.
The destiny of the G4 Cube.
The greediness of a company.

Introducing... Macbook Air.