PDA

View Full Version : Bring on the Aluminum MacBook!

CommodityFetish
Jan 15, 2008, 07:48 PM
Who else will be waiting for the new Aluminum(?) Macbook in April/May?

http://www.rhythmac.com/history/macbook

(oh, would that it came without the internal optical drive I will have to carry around everywhere I go and never use... )

TantalizedMind
Jan 15, 2008, 07:50 PM
I give up caring. Apple disappoints me every Tuesday. Looks like I'm going to Alienware. At least their computers can glow red.

gkarris
Feb 10, 2008, 11:09 AM
I've decided to resurrect this thread...

I go to the Apple Store and see the wonderful MacBook Air. I really like the alumimum case and the black, backlit keys. Not enought memory or hard drive space though. I would like to put all my iTunes stuff and photos on one laptop, instead of just my server. My iPod, iPhone, and older laptops don't have enough space.

Really tired of the white and the extra money for black isn't really worth it.

Will the Alumimum MacBooks be out this Summer? I'm thinking of getting one the minute it's out....

I would like Apple to save the money/production costs and get rid of the black one. Only offer the Aluminum one with the backlit keyboard, multitouch pad, and the same specs now starting at the $1099.

Queso
Feb 10, 2008, 11:12 AM
Make it Aluminium, chuck in a dedicated video card, shrink the screen to 12" and include the same keyboard as the MacBook Pro.

Then we're talking :cool:

Hankster
Feb 10, 2008, 11:14 AM
Won't probably happen. They need their products staggered in value and price.

indierthanthou
Feb 10, 2008, 11:15 AM
Make it Aluminium, chuck in a dedicated video card, shrink the screen to 12" and include the same keyboard as the MacBook Pro.

Then we're talking :cool:

So what you want, is a 12" powerbook....with intel...good luck with that

devilot
Feb 10, 2008, 11:22 AM
... include the same keyboard as the MacBook Pro.

Then we're talking :cool:Eww. :p

I don't deny that the "pro" notebooks' KBs look nicer, but in terms of feel and use? I adore the MB/ new alum KB feel. It's basically why I got a MB in the first place. :o

Queso
Feb 10, 2008, 11:26 AM
So what you want, is a 12" powerbook....with intel...good luck with that
I keep going on about it, both here and to Apple. I really can't understand why they would drop their best laptop model completely.

tjcampbell
Feb 10, 2008, 12:06 PM
Eww. :p

I don't deny that the "pro" notebooks' KBs look nicer, but in terms of feel and use? I adore the MB/ new alum KB feel. It's basically why I got a MB in the first place. :o

Totally agree. I am so much happier using my MacBook than my MacBook Pro as I don't get a shock every time I touch it and the keyboard doesn't feel like ice. The MacBook material is a treat and I think it would be a shame if they ever changed it.

GeneKam
Feb 10, 2008, 12:10 PM
Aluminum might happen as mac is going to go green. But if the do go green, aluminum is much more costly then polycarbonate, and that is already quite costly as it is a great material, but the casing is not green, and apple are going fully environmental friendly. The cost will obviously go up for the new macbook aluminum.

xraydoc
Feb 10, 2008, 05:44 PM
Personally, I don't mind the plastic polycarbonate of the MacBook cases - the heat from the internal components doesn't go straight through the case and on to my legs like my MacBook Pro does. And I'm much happier for it.

kabunaru
Feb 10, 2008, 07:42 PM
The aluminum casing would also reduce the MacBook's weight and will make it more recyclable. Yes, I predict that the next MacBooks will have an aluminum case.

khunxhor
Feb 11, 2008, 12:12 AM
am I the only one who adores the white? it just stands out...aluminum wont do it for me...

darfel
Feb 11, 2008, 12:14 AM
I don't think Apple will release an aluminum MacBook, that would blur the lines between MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

TatsuTerror
Feb 11, 2008, 12:21 AM
Why not Alu with colors, like the iPod Nanos and the Shuffles?

Stopsignguy
Feb 11, 2008, 12:46 AM
I don't think Apple will release an aluminum MacBook, that would blur the lines between MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

Explain the new iMacs and Mac Pros? Also ALL the iPods are at least available in silver (cept iPod Touch)

I think Apple are moving away from the whole white for consumer, aluminum for pro deal.

tuneman07
Feb 11, 2008, 01:52 AM
I would like an aluminum one- I like the looks of the pro line. I have been waiting forever for an update though so I guess I can wait a few more months.

With my luck though Apple will probably ignore the MB and come out with something crazy like a super thin MB minus a bunch of stuff which of course will probably cost way more than the MB. errrrr, wait a second,,,,,,,,,, Dam:(

iW00t
Feb 11, 2008, 02:04 AM

(oh, would that it came without the internal optical drive I will have to carry around everywhere I go and never use... )

It is called the Macbook Air

GeneKam
Feb 11, 2008, 02:05 AM
yup if apple descide to loose some revenue on macbooks and go green, then i do think they will release it with coulors. Ipods are in that line, plus next to every other manufacturer stooped limiting consumers to the coulor, if apple wants to offer better hardware and look over dell and sony, they will have to do it, if not this, then next update.

jhsfosho
Feb 11, 2008, 02:10 AM
I'd consider buying an aluminum macbook. I like the smaller size compared to my macbook pro. But i really like my dedicated video. I think a 12'' widescreen MBP would see a better market.

mosx
Feb 11, 2008, 02:38 AM
Explain the new iMacs and Mac Pros? Also ALL the iPods are at least available in silver (cept iPod Touch)

I think Apple are moving away from the whole white for consumer, aluminum for pro deal.

Don't forget the Mac mini ;)

But its nice to see that someone has common sense regarding this issue. I tried to tell this to another person and they went all Apple fanboy on me telling me I just can't afford the higher end Macs and thats the reason I'm trying to say these things.. which made absolutely no sense whatsoever, but whatever. haha.

The iMac went from soft plastic like the iPod to anodized aluminum. The low-end eMac was white plastic that was eventually (a few years late) replaced by the (mostly) aluminum Mac mini.

The MacBook Air is anodized aluminum and it is certainly far from being a "Pro" machine.

The low end iPods (mini, 2G nano, 2G shuffle) made the jump to anodized aluminum before the "high end" iPod did. The "low end" iPod mini was released in 2004. It was more than 3 and a half years before the iPod received its anodized aluminum front. That even came a year after the lowest of all iPods, the shuffle, made the switch.

Apple is definitely not reserving aluminum for the "pro" line any more. It's fair game now.

That said, if Apple switches the MacBook to aluminum, it better be anodized aluminum and not the easily damaged and warping casing used by the MacBook Pro. The MacBook with an anodized aluminum case would be sweet. It'd take care of all of the build quality issues too.

CaptainCaveMann
Feb 11, 2008, 02:45 AM
I give up caring. Apple disappoints me every Tuesday. Looks like I'm going to Alienware. At least their computers can glow red.

Can I quote you? Cause honestly this is one of the funniest posts ive seen in a long time hahaha. :D

skyrider007
Feb 11, 2008, 03:21 AM
I don't see this happening.

tuneman07
Feb 11, 2008, 09:10 AM
I don't see why Apple wouldn't want their laptops to all match with the aluminum. They have a big theme of continuity and products all working together so if they all matched I don't see the problem. They are still different computers it isn't like people are going to say "I was going to buy a Pro but the MB looks the same so I'll get that".

Quillz
Feb 11, 2008, 09:35 AM
Just like Apple would never have gone aluminum for the Mac mini and iMac, right? The whole "keeping consumer/pro products distinct" is a thing of past. Today, they do it via hardware components, not the aesthetics.

CalmEnvy
Feb 11, 2008, 09:38 AM
That would be nice but I don't know if that's going to happen. Would be nice though since I'll be getting a MacBook.

gkarris
Feb 11, 2008, 10:01 AM
Just like the iPhone paved the way for the iPod Touch, maybe the MacBook Air is paving the way for two new laptops:

1. The Aluminum MacBook: same as the Air but with a "thicker" bottom to house the normal MacBook parts.

2. The 13" MacBook Pro - same as current MacBooks (nicer keyboard) but in the 13" formfactor.

More common parts among the 3 laptops families to reduce costs.

Keep your fingers crossed....

southerndoc
Feb 11, 2008, 02:48 PM
I think Apple has to make all their computers aluminum just to keep Greenpeace adn the other tree huggers off its back.

lil' brudder
Feb 11, 2008, 07:18 PM
I believe apple will keep their pro/consumer lines separated via colors. However, the plastics will go. Look at the iMac - it went from white to aluminum WITH shiny black. If apple continues with the mini, which I thoroughly hope it will, the white top will turn black and the macbooks will either go all black (not likely) or silver with the shiny black somehow put into it. However, no matter what the configuration, the white plastic is going very, very soon.

gkarris
Feb 12, 2008, 12:26 PM
Does anyone think that, instead of a 13" MBP, Apple will just go with an Aluminum MacBook, that you can configure out to the "max" (no pun), the next step up being the basic 15" MBP?

Having a 13" MBP may cannibalize from the 15" one - Apple will try to avoid cannibalizing 15" MBP sales?

Cloudsurfer
Feb 12, 2008, 01:14 PM
Please, no aluminum. It looks great, but it's nowhere near as tough as polycarbonate. I got my first dent today on my MBP, even though I've been treating it like my own kid the past two weeks.

I guess Apple will eventually switch to metal for the MB line, but I hope they'll stay with the plastic and give the low-end line the matte finish of the black model, in silver/grey.

tip
Feb 12, 2008, 01:21 PM
2. The 13" MacBook Pro - same as current MacBooks (nicer keyboard) but in the 13" formfactor.

With the 13" MB and 13" MBA, I seriously doubt this will happen.

bananas
Feb 12, 2008, 03:03 PM
I just gave up on waiting and ordered a white MacBook. I still hope Apple will release an aluminium MacBook, I can always buy that next year ;)

kabunaru
Feb 12, 2008, 05:49 PM
What about Titanium? Can't Apple come up with an improved Titanium design?

lazydesi
Feb 12, 2008, 07:21 PM
I am looking for Aluminum MB

gkarris
Feb 23, 2008, 03:47 PM
I was on Apple's website today and the page below reminded me of a song from Sesame Street (or was it The Electric Company?)

"Which one of these doesn't belong?
Which one of these is NOT like the other ones???"

:eek:

Still waiting...

kabunaru
Feb 23, 2008, 04:50 PM
With the new MacBooks, Apple please add a matte screen as standard.
I made my current MacBook's display matte:

TatsuTerror
Feb 23, 2008, 04:52 PM
^ That'll never happen. Glossy screens look twice as good to the average consumer.

An option would be nice though...

brop52
Feb 23, 2008, 05:04 PM
I'm hoping for some type of metal to make my first notebook purchase. I don't really need the power of a MBP nor have the loan money for it.

amanda kathryn
Feb 23, 2008, 05:06 PM
if the macbook goes aluminum i'll be damn glad i got mine now.

Shackler
Feb 23, 2008, 05:50 PM
If i was steve jobs i would:

1. Eliminate the lower end whitebook altogether its such a waste.
2. Lower the higher end white book price and increase it to 2GB of ram
3. Switch the Blackbook for an alu. with 2GB of ram and dedicated graphics card.
4. Eliminate bill Gates

kabunaru
Feb 23, 2008, 06:17 PM

3. Switch the Blackbook for an alu. with 2GB of ram and dedicated graphics card.
4. Eliminate bill Gates

Also, eliminate low-end MacBook Pro, make mid-end MacBook Pro the price of the low-end and make 17" MacBook Pro $300 cheaper and HD display standard. Also, MacBook Air Keyboard.

Mackan
Feb 23, 2008, 09:16 PM

4. Eliminate bill Gates

What's wrong with Bill Gates?

Fiasco
Feb 24, 2008, 04:17 AM
am I the only one who adores the white? it just stands out...aluminum wont do it for me...

No you are not the only one.

Luzzio
Feb 24, 2008, 05:01 AM
Explain the new iMacs and Mac Pros?

Well the imac is a cpu behind the screen while the mac pro is just a tower. not too hard to distinguish, really.

And the macbook and mbp really would look similiar if the MB were in alu. Unless they change the MBP to, say, glass :p

swagi
Feb 24, 2008, 05:14 AM

When it was a shiniy white below a clear polycarbonate case, it looked really adorable. I still love my Dual USB iBook. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

When Apple went to solid white, the thing started to look cheap. Current Macbooks look really cheap, compared to their ancestors. Try to find a G3 Dual USB iBook and look at it. It's purely adorable...

gkarris
Feb 24, 2008, 11:25 AM
HP and Sony laptops are on the ball.

Why is Apple not doing anything with their MacBooks?

b9sinner
Feb 25, 2008, 02:45 PM
I think its all my fault! only couse my switch to mac ( soon) they decided to stop the delivery of īthe new mbp :D same with mb :D

atleast ive made a dream mod of a mbp

tip
Feb 25, 2008, 02:59 PM

Well, HP and Sony also have ten billion model lines - the ones you posted don't exactly compete with the MacBook. The Sony copy of the MB (the CR series) is still mostly plastic.

Why aluminum, anyway? I'd like to see an experiment in carbon fiber, personally.

Shackler
Feb 25, 2008, 03:23 PM

Cuz then ir wouldnt be apple. it would be HP and Sony.

Phish311
Feb 25, 2008, 03:43 PM
If apple does upgrade the macbooks to have blue ray drive, can you upgrade the SR Macbook and install this on your own? thanks

gkarris
Feb 26, 2008, 01:06 PM
If apple does upgrade the macbooks to have blue ray drive, can you upgrade the SR Macbook and install this on your own? thanks

No, it will depend on the size of the Blu-ray slot loading drive. They may be just a tad bigger and won't fit in the older models.

WHERE'S THE ALUMINUM MACBOOK?

(runs off crying.... then proceeds to order the Black MacBook refurbished - I guess it's the closest thing for now...)

rychencop
Feb 26, 2008, 01:17 PM
the new macbooks are aluminum.

Enyzam
Feb 26, 2008, 01:32 PM
No they're not!

tip
Feb 26, 2008, 01:36 PM

You can do that right now (from Fastmac) if you have a 17" MBP, an iBook, or PowerBook. Of course, if you have $1000 on hand. Blu-ray is still too expensive at the moment.

gkarris
Feb 26, 2008, 01:45 PM
the new macbooks are aluminum.

No they're not!

nope... still plastic...

rychencop
Feb 26, 2008, 02:59 PM
No they're not!

you're right....i looked at the new pic on the apple site and the black one sure does look like aluminum.

gkarris
Feb 26, 2008, 09:14 PM
According to this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=442645

A new MacBook maybe by mid-year. The Aluminum one?

Man, I just bit the dust and bought the refurbed Black MacBook.

The updates are dizzying...

n1ght
Feb 27, 2008, 01:02 AM
If they release aluminum MacBooks, it will probably at WWDC or a late summer event. Right before back-to-school time and still solid for the holiday season (just like the aluminum iMacs).

I am predicting:
- Aluminum enclosure and LED-backlit display (environmentally friendly)
- 2.26GHz and 2.4GHz Penryn on the Montevina platform
- 2GB RAM standard
- SuperDrive standard
- 120GB HDD and 160GB HDD
- $1199 and $1399

A bit of wishful thinking for the prices. With all this, it'd be closer to $1299 and $1499.

aswitcher
Feb 27, 2008, 01:05 AM
If they release aluminum MacBooks, it will probably at WWDC or a late summer event. Right before back-to-school time and still solid for the holiday season (just like the aluminum iMacs).

I am predicting:
- 2GB RAM standard
- SuperDrive standard
- $1199 and $1399

A bit of wishful thinking for the prices. With all this, it'd be closer to $1299 and $1499.

And

touchpad

and

a real graphics card - finally. Maybe a 64 or something.

Aranince
Feb 27, 2008, 01:10 AM
WHERE'S THE ALUMINUM MACBOOK?[/I]

2x. I want Alu!!!

n1ght
Feb 27, 2008, 01:13 AM
And
a real graphics card - finally. Maybe a 64 or something.

A dedicated graphics card is unlikely to ever come to the Macbook. It's a lower-end product and doesn't require one for its target purposes.

Multi-touch would bring the price up even more, so I can see that happening later down the line.

In general, the update to the Montevina platform will probably be a complete Mac overhaul event. These updates (and maybe future iMac/MM ones) will be here for a while. New Al MBs, redesigned MBPs with MB keyboard, Mac mini with glossy black top, etc.

By the way, Mac mini is 2 generations behind.

Mac mini = Merom with Napa chipset
iMac = Merom with Santa Rosa chipset
Macbook and Macbook Pro = Penryn with Santa Rosa chipset

aswitcher
Feb 27, 2008, 02:09 AM
A dedicated graphics card is unlikely to ever come to the Macbook. It's a lower-end product and doesn't require one for its target purposes.

Multi-touch would bring the price up even more, so I can see that happening later down the line.

In general, the update to the Montevina platform will probably be a complete Mac overhaul event. These updates (and maybe future iMac/MM ones) will be here for a while. New Al MBs, redesigned MBPs with MB keyboard, Mac mini with glossy black top, etc.

By the way, Mac mini is 2 generations behind.

Mac mini = Merom with Napa chipset
iMac = Merom with Santa Rosa chipset
Macbook and Macbook Pro = Penryn with Santa Rosa chipset

So thats whats coming out next Tuesday....

I disagree, Apple are promoting Quartz Extreme and made the tools to use it. It makes a lot of sense to out a cheap dedicated card in the next real generation to make full use of all the Apps that support it.

Queso
Feb 27, 2008, 04:34 AM
I've given up waiting and bought a 15" this morning. Not happy about it, but can't hold off indefinitely on the chance that something might appear :(

tremendous
Feb 27, 2008, 05:13 AM
I've given up waiting and bought a 15" this morning. Not happy about it, but can't hold off indefinitely on the chance that something might appear :(

what, exactly, are you waiting for?

Queso
Feb 27, 2008, 05:22 AM
what, exactly, are you waiting for?
A proper replacement for the 12" PB would have been nice. Doesn't matter now though. Not for me anyway.

gkarris
Feb 27, 2008, 12:51 PM

Now the date is June....

drew0020
Feb 27, 2008, 02:36 PM
This is exactly what I am waiting for!! I love the Air case and I think the Macbook would be perfect with aluminum and a slightly re-designed case so it looks more like 2008.

peapody
Feb 27, 2008, 03:12 PM
Man if they have a alu 12" Macbook, I think its time to give up on the old alu 12" PB. My baby....

Shackler
Feb 27, 2008, 03:45 PM

I am predicting:
- 2GB RAM standard
- SuperDrive standard
- $1199 and $1399

this is everything im hoping/waiting for in the next update hopefully JUNE!!! it will go sweet with my ipod whne the deals come around:rolleyes:

multitouch pad probably too but i could careless about that.
oh and arent the Centrino 2 speeds 2.26 and 2.56 or .53?

gkarris
Apr 7, 2008, 08:45 PM
Wow, now it's front page news.

Seems like we've already been talking about this forever...

That's the one I wanted. Too bad I couldn't wait...

Wild-Bill
Apr 7, 2008, 08:54 PM
A proper replacement for the 12" PB would have been nice. Doesn't matter now though. Not for me anyway.

Biggest mistake Apple made was not producing a replacement to the best Powerbook ever made.

Bring on the 12" MBP Apple.

tMac85
Apr 7, 2008, 09:00 PM
Why not Alu with colors, like the iPod Nanos and the Shuffles?

ahhhhh
i called this like a year ago!

I put like 50 bucks on a bet with anyone that this WILL happen soon! It wont be all the colors, because they switch out the colors all the time, but it will be an option. Only on the macbooks. not the pros

slybeans
Apr 7, 2008, 09:45 PM
Biggest mistake Apple made was not producing a replacement to the best Powerbook ever made.

Bring on the 12" MBP Apple.

I think they thought it would confuse consumers

gkarris
Oct 13, 2008, 09:53 AM
Tuesday is almost here!!!

polaris20
Oct 13, 2008, 10:31 AM
Tuesday is almost here!!!

Yes, but the redundant threads about the new MacBooks are here today!!

:rolleyes:

deriko100
Oct 13, 2008, 10:33 AM

I bet you 10 dollars the material is gonna be plastic, to save cash and the macbook pros get like titanium.

gkarris
Oct 13, 2008, 11:42 AM
Yes, but the redundant threads about the new MacBooks are here today!!

:rolleyes:

Hence, I did a search (if you bothered to read the date of this thread). :rolleyes:

polaris20
Oct 13, 2008, 01:27 PM
Hence, I did a search (if you bothered to read the date of this thread). :rolleyes:

Fully aware of the date. All the more reason to contribute to one of many current threads. ;)