PDA

View Full Version : List of Members Waiting for their Macbook Air to Ship and Arrive and Photos!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Cybergypsy
Jan 16, 2008, 06:29 AM
Mine has a Ship date of Feb 6th, Arrives Feb 12th....

Bought the minute the Apple store came up :)

Feel free to post shipping, tracking and photos on this thread.

zapp
Jan 16, 2008, 06:45 AM

I ordered has soon has the store came up, and have the same shipping dates, I got the 1.8 w/64g ssd.

fishkorp
Jan 16, 2008, 07:14 AM
i think everyone's says that. i'm guessing it'll ship sooner. my airline adapter however has a ship date of Feb 21st.

Cybergypsy
Jan 16, 2008, 07:26 AM
Please post pic in the thread when you get them or if you have any tracking news

xUKHCx
Jan 16, 2008, 07:28 AM
Woah Cybergypsy you really like to get through your macs don't you.

Cybergypsy
Jan 16, 2008, 07:35 AM
Woah Cybergypsy you really like to get through your macs don't you.

yes, yes I do....want to buy my current one? LOL

growinglogic
Jan 16, 2008, 06:09 PM
Ordered mine. :cool:

1.8GHz, 80gb PATA with the superdrive.

Ships: February 6th, delivery by 11th.

clayj
Jan 16, 2008, 06:21 PM

Feel free to post shipping, tracking and photos on this thread.You should've sprung for faster shipping... I'm supposed to have mine on the 11th. ;)

aethelbert
Jan 16, 2008, 07:17 PM
My company ordered one for me today. Shipe on 6/2, arrives 11/2. Thank you, Lufthansa!

iEric
Jan 16, 2008, 08:19 PM
1.8 C2D, Standard HD

Ships by: 7 Feb
Delivers by: 19 Feb

Which sucks because you guys are going to get it 8 days earlier than me! Damn Canadian store. And I didnt want to pay 25$ for express shipping. haha but i think it will be hear earlier than expected. cause it can't take THAT long to ship. and i live in the metro....mmm one can only hope.

do you guys think it will actually start shipping on the 6th or do you think it will be earlier. cause didn't steve say it would be out in TWO weeks?

Also bought in this order:
AppleCare
Time Capsule
Canon iP4500 (for the printer deal)

May buy the SuperDrive addition if i decide ir eally need it but right now i feel as though i dont.

Cybergypsy
Jan 16, 2008, 08:52 PM
Last time i paid for faster shipping it came slower, true story :)

etorres
Jan 16, 2008, 08:57 PM
Mine supposed to get here by the 12th. Unlike most people heres I chose the 1.6 Ghz CPU as opposed to the 1.8 GHz. I will use my macbook air mostly for web surfing and school stuff.The extra 200 MHz isn't going to make THAT much of a difference, but the extra $300 premium will.

v-ault
Jan 16, 2008, 09:07 PM
This is a computer for people who don't know how to use computers :p

fishkorp
Jan 16, 2008, 09:12 PM
just an FYI, Amazon.com says they'll have them in stock on Feb 5th. I have Amazon Prime, so I could've gotten free 2-day shipping and no tax (and their price is $5 cheaper), potentially getting it quicker if Apple's dates are correct. However, if Amazon will have them by the 5th, I'm thinking most of us in the US that ordered them should also have them around then. We'll probably get ours the same day the stores get them in stock, no? My wife's EPP discount + tax is still cheaper than Amazon for me, so I'm still saving money. But it'll suck if the Amazon folks get it a week earlier :(

shoulin333
Jan 16, 2008, 10:16 PM
Ordered mine 1.8 with SSD...

ships Feb 7th, delivery by the 12th

Nibi
Jan 16, 2008, 10:38 PM
Ordered a 1.6 w/80gb HD from amazon. No tax and free 2-day shipping was a better deal than my ed discount. I will post as soon as it comes in. We'll see who gets their MacBook Air first ;).

Nilonym
Jan 17, 2008, 12:17 AM
Does anyone know if the SSD will be BTO only? I live close to an Apple store, and usually make all my purchases there. I ordered my MBA (1.8/SSD) via the online store after the keynote, but now I'm wondering whether I would have been better off waiting and buying at the Apple store. Will the stores have them before the online customers?

meagain
Jan 17, 2008, 12:54 AM
This is a computer for people who don't know how to use computers :p

I've heard similar inane comments about the iPhone when it was announced. Oh the ranting here about it. Guess you will be choosing one of the other 5 laptop options. So - why post here?

HLdan
Jan 17, 2008, 01:16 AM
Ordered a 1.6 w/80gb HD from amazon. No tax and free 2-day shipping was a better deal than my ed discount. I will post as soon as it comes in. We'll see who gets their MacBook Air first ;).

No jokes, but you won't get yours faster than someone ordering it directly from Apple for the obvious reasons.

aiongiant
Jan 17, 2008, 01:20 AM
i ordered 1.6 with 80gb macbook air with superdrive and cannon all-in-one printer offer

Ships by:
6 Feb

Delivers by:
18 Feb

mcvaughan
Jan 17, 2008, 01:23 AM
Feb 7/13 for me.

v-ault
Jan 17, 2008, 02:52 AM
I've heard similar inane comments about the iPhone when it was announced. Oh the ranting here about it. Guess you will be choosing one of the other 5 laptop options. So - why post here?

It's a joke

xparaparafreakx
Jan 17, 2008, 03:26 AM
I am going to get my at the retail store and so I will be calling them everyday to bug them. I don't like the idea of spending $3k and waiting for fedex. I lost a package once and don't like the hoops I have to jump to get a refund.

Transeau
Jan 17, 2008, 04:28 AM
Order placed... Had to wait until I was sure the my wife's Macbook would sell.
Replacing her Black 2.0 CD with the bare Air.

Sun Baked
Jan 17, 2008, 04:40 AM
I was hoping for the pictures.

What no:

This is a picture of me...

- checking the Applestore for the 20th time today to see if the ship status has changed.

- making a poll on MacRumors while I wait.

- looking out the window for the UPS van.

- stalking the local UPS van.

- having a GTG at the local MUG to pass the time.

davricho
Jan 17, 2008, 05:03 AM
Ordered the following yesterday (Australia):
MacBook Air 1.6Ghz 80gb Shipping 07/02, delivers 11/02
1TB Time capsule shipping 29/02, delivers 04/03
2.4Ghz 24" iMac shipped today, delivers tomorrow!!
(+4GB RAM on the way from Crucial)

I was looking to buy another 17" MacBook Pro to replace my existing one (if an updated model was released), but as it spends 90% of the time sitting on my desk at home I decided to get the iMac and Macbook Air which only worked out slightly more expensive than a 17" MBPro. This way I have the iMac as my main machine and the MBAir for when I want to sit out on the deck or in bed, having breakfast etc. etc. or take my laptop away on holidays, to work etc.

Prometheus101
Jan 17, 2008, 06:01 AM
I will order mine ASAP as soon as I convince my parents that getting a product first gen is not bad!!! :D:D

iEric
Jan 17, 2008, 09:38 AM
i ordered 1.6 with 80gb macbook air with superdrive and cannon all-in-one printer offer

Ships by:
6 Feb

Delivers by:
18 Feb

you live in Canada, don't you?

island
Jan 17, 2008, 09:48 AM
I'll pick one up at the store, just in case something is funky with it, easy swap out.

kingtj
Jan 17, 2008, 09:58 AM
If it's anything like how it's almost *always* gone in the past, the Apple stores get the product on the same day the online products ship out. So assuming you paid for overnight delivery, you would get yours about the same time the Apple store employees start unboxing their deliveries and putting them on shelves for sale.

Does anyone know if the SSD will be BTO only? I live close to an Apple store, and usually make all my purchases there. I ordered my MBA (1.8/SSD) via the online store after the keynote, but now I'm wondering whether I would have been better off waiting and buying at the Apple store. Will the stores have them before the online customers?

aiongiant
Jan 17, 2008, 10:06 AM
you live in Canada, don't you?

yeap =)

Cybergypsy
Jan 17, 2008, 10:08 AM
I changed my order, of 2 to one bare air, think I will wait a bit to get the SSD, 4200 will do me fine till then and my friend is being a but head so she is not getting hers, until we make up :)

iEric
Jan 17, 2008, 01:02 PM
GUESS WHAT CAME RIGHT NOW????

the PRINTER that i bought so i could get the printer deal!!!!!

it's actually a pretty nice printer (Canon iP4500) ... i dont know whether or not i should keep it or not cause right now i have only a BW laser printer. maybe i should keep a color photo printer at home for my reports and stuff...cause i was planning to sell it..mmmm

Catch
Jan 17, 2008, 01:14 PM
Was going to wait until I saw it in retail, but wanted it before my birthday on the 11th :) Don't have a shipping date yet though...

Ordered mine with 1.8 and SSD. No extras apart from a 1TB time capsule thing...

C

diabolic
Jan 17, 2008, 01:20 PM
I ordered mine as soon as the Apple store came up after the keynote. 1.8, SSD w/external Superdrive.

Catch
Jan 17, 2008, 02:45 PM
Just got my delivery date... 11th March! wow so much for my birthday a month earlier. :eek: Either this thing is selling like hot-cakes or there's some kind of supply issue...

Thats for UK delivery by the way... :rolleyes:

C

EDIT: after contacting Apple it will now arrive on the 19th Feb :)

teerexx52
Jan 17, 2008, 03:37 PM

Ordered mine today. Couldn't resist. Due to ship 2/8. My birthday is 2/15. Nice gift from my wife. My only concern was the 4200 spin drive. Hope it doesn't slow the puter down. Excited and waiting.

Cybergypsy
Jan 17, 2008, 04:15 PM
Ordered mine today. Couldn't resist. Due to ship 2/8. My birthday is 2/15. Nice gift from my wife. My only concern was the 4200 spin drive. Hope it doesn't slow the puter down. Excited and waiting. Whats with this birthday thing, mine is 1/24 BC LOL I hope mine ships on that date :)

Screwball
Jan 17, 2008, 04:23 PM
What do you guys think, would an Apple Service put an SSD drive into an Air, if anybody bought one and took it with them to a Store? What's your opinion?

Cybergypsy
Jan 17, 2008, 04:29 PM
What do you guys think, would an Apple Service put an SSD drive into an Air, if anybody bought one and took it with them to a Store? What's your opinion?

Off topic........

Screwball
Jan 17, 2008, 04:31 PM
Off topic........

Helpful...i hope my previous post was going to be the most off-topic of all time

ahaxton
Jan 17, 2008, 04:31 PM
I ordered mine on Amazon with Amazon Prime. It shows in my orders:

Delivery estimate: March 19, 2008

Is that what everyone has?

JasonBourne9
Jan 17, 2008, 05:11 PM
Ordered a 1.8GHz, 80GB HD

I got the faster delivery but still says ship by Feb 6th, arrive by Feb 12th

Catch
Jan 17, 2008, 05:17 PM

Did you order any extras? I originally got the 11th March but contacted Apple to rearrange my order and it is now set to arrive on the 19th February...

C

ahaxton
Jan 17, 2008, 05:25 PM
Did you order any extras? I originally got the 11th March but contacted Apple to rearrange my order and it is now set to arrive on the 19th February...

C

No no extras. Just the laptop itself. I'll email amazon and see if its just a date to ignore for a little while. Of course if its accurate then I'll cancel it and go with Apple.

Nibi
Jan 17, 2008, 06:00 PM

Mine shows as:
Delivery estimate: February 7, 2008

ahaxton
Jan 17, 2008, 06:06 PM
Mine shows as:
Delivery estimate: February 7, 2008

I ordered mine like 10 minutes before I posted.
Are they trying to say that they are sold out of whatever stock they are initially getting and have a random date up?

ahaxton
Jan 17, 2008, 06:07 PM
Items not yet shipped:

* 1 of: Apple MacBook Air MB003LL/A 13.3" Laptop (1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive)
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

Weird....

diabolic
Jan 17, 2008, 06:12 PM
I ordered mine like 10 minutes before I posted.
Are they trying to say that they are sold out of whatever stock they are initially getting and have a random date up?

I don't think so. I ordered from Apple immediately after the keynote and mine says shipping on February 6th.

ahaxton
Jan 17, 2008, 06:13 PM
I don't think so. I ordered from Apple immediately after the keynote and mine says shipping on February 6th.

I ordered from Amazon though.

MacRumorUser
Jan 17, 2008, 06:14 PM
Mine... ordered straight after the keynote.

Shipping 5th Feb
Delivery 13th Feb :eek:

8 days of waiting to arrive from China! It's going to kill me :D

joegomolski
Jan 17, 2008, 06:18 PM
1.8, 64 SSD, SuperDrive
02.06 my birthday!!!!
Apple OnLine Store

teerexx52
Jan 17, 2008, 07:06 PM
Whats with this birthday thing, mine is 1/24 BC LOL I hope mine ships on that date :)

Well my wife is really good to me as she knows I am a Mac ADDICT. I have absolutely no real use for a MacBook Air as I have a wonderful MacBook Pro. But she knows how I pine for the latest just to play and enjoy. No other vices and I'm retired so she indulges me. She saw the look on my face when the macBook Air came out so she said we'll do it for your birthday. Only problem was I couldn' t get her to bite on the idea of the SSD:):):):)

MacRumorUser
Jan 17, 2008, 07:14 PM
Less time waiting gives you more time with her! Surely thats an easy sell? :D

But how many pairs of shoes could she buy for nearly $1k ;):p

Cybergypsy
Jan 17, 2008, 07:32 PM
But how many pairs of shoes could she buy for nearly $1k ;):pNot all woman buy shoes, I hate clothes and shopping but love mac, electronic and cars....just bought the new wifi SD card :)

LindenTree
Jan 18, 2008, 12:34 AM
Ships: Feb 6
Delivery: Feb 11

That's a lot longer than two weeks!

I can't wait!

Cybergypsy
Jan 18, 2008, 06:41 AM
Ships: Feb 6
Delivery: Feb 11

That's a lot longer than two weeks!

I can't wait!

Have a feeling they will ship by the 24th of Jan.

senorgreg
Jan 18, 2008, 07:38 AM
I am in Australia and ordered mine within 10 minutes of the keynote finishing. Site says Feb 7 ship date and Feb 13 delivery date.

1.6ghz
80gb

teerexx52
Jan 18, 2008, 08:21 AM
Have a feeling they will ship by the 24th of Jan.

I hope so!!!!:)

iEric
Jan 18, 2008, 09:25 AM
just wondering

but if i called up the store

and changed my order from 1.8 to 1.6 ghz

will my est. ship day change with it as well? will it be as if i were ordering today...or will it stay the same?

PieMac
Jan 18, 2008, 09:33 AM
Items not yet shipped:

* 1 of: Apple MacBook Air MB003LL/A 13.3" Laptop (1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive)
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

Weird....

Amazon always gives a blanket date when a new product comes out from Apple. Trust me, I've ordered many Macs from Amazon and it will ship out sooner than the date they give you...at least this has been the case with me every time (and I've ordered probably 5 Macs through the years thru Amazon). And, yep, I have an order in for the MacBook Air too through them. :)
Love Amazon-customer service is excellent!

ahaxton
Jan 18, 2008, 10:50 AM
Amazon always gives a blanket date when a new product comes out from Apple. Trust me, I've ordered many Macs from Amazon and it will ship out sooner than the date they give you...at least this has been the case with me every time (and I've ordered probably 5 Macs through the years thru Amazon). And, yep, I have an order in for the MacBook Air too through them. :)
Love Amazon-customer service is excellent!

Yeah I got an email back from Amazon saying the date doesn't mean anything because the product is not in stock as it is not released as well as no set date for release.

So I am pre-ordered with Amazon, and calling up the local store every morning, so I can get it asap.

zippster
Jan 18, 2008, 11:44 AM
yep add me too the list aswell ;)

although i guess it will change but 12 days to recieve it seems a little steep? slow boat or carrier pigeon??:D:D

Estimated Shipping: 07 Feb, 2008
Estimated Delivery: 19 Feb, 2008
Product / Part No.

MACBOOK AIR 13 CTO
Custom configuration
1.80GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB
80GB Parallel ATA Drive @ 4200
KYBD/MACOS-GBR
Country Kit-GBR
MACBOOK AIR SUPERDRIVE-GEN

zippster
Jan 18, 2008, 04:49 PM
:d

zapp
Jan 19, 2008, 04:24 PM
apple just authorized my card for the amount of a macbook air 1.8 64 ssd hopefully that is good news, but my shipping date hasn't changed yet. I ordered right after the keynote.

bidwalj
Jan 19, 2008, 04:29 PM
i think ill just take my chances at the store now. I sold my macbook pro and getting the mba for sure, but do not feel like waiting for it to ship if i order it this late. I figure, one of the many stores in the LA area will have them shortly after they start to ship.

Does anyone know if the stores do the government rate too?

zapp
Jan 19, 2008, 04:32 PM
i think ill just take my chances at the store now. I sold my macbook pro and getting the mba for sure, but do not feel like waiting for it to ship if i order it this late. I figure, one of the many stores in the LA area will have them shortly after they start to ship.

with proper id they applied the rate to my purchase 3 years ago. So they can do it, at least three years ago.

aethelbert
Jan 19, 2008, 04:33 PM
They do.

Cybergypsy
Jan 19, 2008, 04:36 PM
yep add me too the list aswell ;)

although i guess it will change but 12 days to recieve it seems a little steep? slow boat or carrier pigeon??:D:D

Estimated Shipping: 07 Feb, 2008
Estimated Delivery: 19 Feb, 2008
Product / Part No.

MACBOOK AIR 13 CTO
Custom configuration
1.80GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB
80GB Parallel ATA Drive @ 4200
KYBD/MACOS-GBR
Country Kit-GBR

Its the stop in Alaska that kills me!!!!!!

bidwalj
Jan 19, 2008, 05:36 PM
thanks...just need to keep a lookout now for in store dates. ill go before they open and hopefully get one. I do not want to be without a laptop for too long

They do.

Mr Ikasu
Jan 19, 2008, 05:38 PM
Ordered Standard 1.6GHz 80GB from Apple Higher Education store (deal at 1031)

Shipped by: 7th Feb
Delivered by: 14th Feb

Can't wait, finding it hard without my MacBook.

Khurram
Jan 19, 2008, 06:03 PM
I ordered my wife's from apple with a ship date of feb 6th and arrival of feb 11th.
I ordered mine from amazon and got a ship estimate of march 19th!!
Hopefully like everyone else is saying that is just a random date they put up..if it really takes that long i'll just go to one of the many apple stores here in nyc and pick one up

ahaxton
Jan 19, 2008, 06:22 PM
I ordered my wife's from apple with a ship date of feb 6th and arrival of feb 11th.
I ordered mine from amazon and got a ship estimate of march 19th!!
Hopefully like everyone else is saying that is just a random date they put up..if it really takes that long i'll just go to one of the many apple stores here in nyc and pick one up

Don't worry just a fake date. We'll probably get ours before Apple Online people.

aiongiant
Jan 19, 2008, 06:53 PM
i seriously doubt amazon will get MBA shipments "BEFORE" Apple

looks like theres already enough orders to move shipment back by a day
since newer orders now shipdate is the 7th instead of the 6th

aosman
Jan 19, 2008, 06:54 PM
I ordered a 1.8GHz w/out the SSD (999$ no way)

Can't wait for it to ship! Ahhhhhhh! :D

Yankees 4 Life
Jan 19, 2008, 06:59 PM
i am so jealous of you guys. I wish i could afford such a great machine

sknighti
Jan 19, 2008, 07:11 PM
this is my first mac I can't wait to play around with the MBA
Ships by: 6 Feb
Delivers by: 13 Feb
with express shipping to Toronto, Canada

ahaxton
Jan 19, 2008, 07:54 PM
i seriously doubt amazon will get MBA shipments "BEFORE" Apple

looks like theres already enough orders to move shipment back by a day
since newer orders now shipdate is the 7th instead of the 6th

Well actually its very possible Amazon orders might come faster.
Amazon, I have 1 day shipping for $3.99
Its possible Amazon will ship out more quickly than Apple's online pre-orders.

fishkorp
Jan 19, 2008, 08:04 PM
Mine now says "prepared for shipment"

Jan 15, 2008 at 03:19 PM PST - Order number xxxxxxx
View order details
Not yet shipped
Product Qty.
Ships by: Feb 6
Delivers by: Feb 12
APPLE USB ETHERNET ADAPTER-INT
APPLE MAGSAFE AIRLINE ADAPTER-INT
Ships by: Feb 21
Delivers by: Feb 27

Prepared for Shipment
Product Qty.
MACBOOK AIR 13/1.6/2GB/80GB-USA

MazingerZ
Jan 19, 2008, 10:32 PM
Well actually its very possible Amazon orders might come faster.
Amazon, I have 1 day shipping for $3.99
Its possible Amazon will ship out more quickly than Apple's online pre-orders.

Apple will usually hold new models to their stores first...than have resellers have a crack at them.

aiongiant
Jan 20, 2008, 12:44 AM
ohhhh mine also now says
"Prepared for Shipment"
sweet! haha not exactly sure what it means thought lol casue my ship date is still the same but exciting hehe

PatMack
Jan 20, 2008, 12:55 AM
ohhhh mine also now says
"Prepared for Shipment"
sweet! haha not exactly sure what it means thought lol casue my ship date is still the same but exciting hehe

this is exciting! I hope this translates to MBAs shipping this week! Maybe also MBAs in retail stores. For once, Apple may be shipping before their estimated release dates for a new product.

Im ready to buy one for school use. Im just waiting to be able to buy it from my local Apple Store. I want to get a "hands-on" experience before I plop down the premium for that unique form factor.

Cybergypsy
Jan 20, 2008, 07:44 AM
Mine changed to preparing for shipment too!

elmo151
Jan 20, 2008, 08:17 AM
ordered jan 15 with SSD

nothing happening. I wonder if the SSD is slowing things down :mad:

PieMac
Jan 20, 2008, 08:18 AM
Mine changed to preparing for shipment too!

And so it begins....

I have one on order with Amazon, and one on order with Apple...whichever one ships first is the winner!

Martin C
Jan 20, 2008, 08:20 AM
Mine now says "prepared for shipment"
I hope you know that the airline adapter that you ordered is not compatible with the MBA yet.

kernyboy
Jan 20, 2008, 08:21 AM
So..does prepared for shipment mean Apple physically has them will go out any day now? Or is this a firm feb 2 week ship time? Hmmmm.

zapp
Jan 20, 2008, 08:23 AM
ordered jan 15 with SSD

nothing happening. I wonder if the SSD is slowing things down :mad:

I ordered with the SSD on the 15th and there is no change to mine as well. I guess that lightening fast HD is really slowing things down. I think we can make up the difference in ship times with increased productivity with the faster HD when we do get it.

Catch
Jan 20, 2008, 08:26 AM
No change on mine either. Really happy for people that seem to be getting this sooner rather than later. Its almost embarrassing how much I am looking forward to getting this machine in my hands. Was a long time since a piece of tech excited me this much! :eek:

Oh and mines an SSD version also...

C

skyrider007
Jan 20, 2008, 08:40 AM
No change on mine either. Really happy for people that seem to be getting this sooner rather than later. Its almost embarrassing how much I am looking forward to getting this machine in my hands. Was a long time since a piece of tech excited me this much! :eek:

Oh and mines an SSD version also...

C

The UK price is outrageous. Did you buy from the Higher Educations store? Even with discount it's still more expensive than US price.

Catch
Jan 20, 2008, 08:47 AM
The UK price is outrageous. Did you buy from the Higher Educations store? Even with discount it's still more expensive than US price.

Unfortunately not. I don't need to spend my 'own' money as my company pays for it. So with VAT and some tax relief its not as painful...

Having said that, I was stupid enough to show it to my wife, so now I am having to order another one! Just glad my kids are not old enough to have their 'own' laptops!

C

Cybergypsy
Jan 20, 2008, 09:14 AM
I ordered with the SSD on the 15th and there is no change to mine as well. I guess that lightening fast HD is really slowing things down. I think we can make up the difference in ship times with increased productivity with the faster HD when we do get it.

The HD is not that slow had it in a sony, also I bet in 6 months you could get a SSD 128G for the same price as a 64G LOL which i will do... Did you read the revies of the SSD?

fishkorp
Jan 20, 2008, 09:26 AM
I hope you know that the airline adapter that you ordered is not compatible with the MBA yet.

it was one of the MBA options. i'm assuming the even longer wait time for that is due to the fact it's a newer one, otherwise it would have shipped already, like the printer which i already received.

JasonBourne9
Jan 20, 2008, 09:30 AM
My Jan 15th ordered MBA is still showing "not yet shipped". I wonder if the standard configs will go out sooner and mine with the 1.8GHz is taking longer. For those of you who are seeing "prepared for shipment", do you have the standard base configuration?

kernyboy
Jan 20, 2008, 09:45 AM
My Jan 15th ordered MBA is still showing "not yet shipped". I wonder if the standard configs will go out sooner and mine with the 1.8GHz is taking longer. For those of you who are seeing "prepared for shipment", do you have the standard base configuration?

yup. I ordered a standard config and mine says prepared for ship (whatever that means)

drew0020
Jan 20, 2008, 12:10 PM
If you get the HD option, can you switch it out to SSD at a later date?

aiongiant
Jan 20, 2008, 12:11 PM

yea any custom order ones will take longer than the standard config
like the new mac pros.. a buddy of mine just ordered
standard config is like 1-2 days ship.. but if he customize anything it jumps to 3-5 weeks

Having said that, I was stupid enough to show it to my wife, so now I am having to order another one! Just glad my kids are not old enough to have their 'own' laptops!

hehe gotta please the wife lol :D

neiltc13
Jan 20, 2008, 01:34 PM
The first unboxing pictures of the computer can be found here (http://flickr.com/photos/21355799@N02/sets/72157603746681202/).

Cybergypsy
Jan 20, 2008, 02:28 PM
If you get the HD option, can you switch it out to SSD at a later date?
yes you can have been reading on it all day, has the same connectors the PATA use :)

skyrider007
Jan 20, 2008, 02:31 PM
The first unboxing pictures of the computer can be found here (http://flickr.com/photos/21355799@N02/sets/72157603746681202/).

wow, the japs are fast!

p.s. the vaio they used to compare with the mba looks awesome!

Cybergypsy
Jan 20, 2008, 02:32 PM

Not unboxing just shots from Macworld:(

skyrider007
Jan 20, 2008, 02:35 PM
Not unboxing just shots from Macworld:(

If you look carefully through all the photos, some of them actually showed the unboxing process.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2285/2203559348_3e09ddec02.jpg?v=0

Cybergypsy
Jan 20, 2008, 02:52 PM
If you look carefully through all the photos, some of them actually showed the unboxing process.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2285/2203559348_3e09ddec02.jpg?v=0
I don't want to see it , I want to FEEL it:)

skyrider007
Jan 20, 2008, 03:03 PM
I don't want to see it , I want to FEEL it:)

Ah I truly understand what you mean. It's always very exciting to unbox any Mac product by yourself :) Hope you get your MBA soon so you can share your experience (by taking loads of detailed photos!)

Sorry that pic kinda spoiled it :p

Cybergypsy
Jan 20, 2008, 03:07 PM
Ah I truly understand what you mean. It's always very exciting to unbox any Mac product by yourself :) Hope you get your MBA soon so you can share your experience (by taking loads of detailed photos!)

Sorry that pic kinda spoiled it :p

I am going to do more then that my friend has a 128SSD and he isgoing to put it in going to take many pics and use it as a DIY post :) His not mine as of yet :)

aiongiant
Jan 20, 2008, 05:57 PM
ohh i hope it comes this week that would be wicked
considering i just sold my macbook pro this weekend hehe

however i'm curious why the ship date didnt' change yet

Cybergypsy
Jan 20, 2008, 06:40 PM
Now it prepared to ship, so hoping by the 24th ........

DVNIEL
Jan 20, 2008, 06:59 PM

You made my evening, Cybergypsy.

I'm really hoping that it hits the stores the same time as it does to those who pre-ordered it. I sold my MBP today and bought a MacBook to hold me over till it comes out because I need something to type in my classes.

Once it comes out i'll exchange it for the air... $100 hit isn't too bad, just gotta work 1 night of overtime at the clinic

Cybergypsy
Jan 20, 2008, 07:16 PM
You made my evening, Cybergypsy.

I'm really hoping that it hits the stores the same time as it does to those who pre-ordered it. I sold my MBP today and bought a MacBook to hold me over till it comes out because I need something to type in my classes.

Once it comes out i'll exchange it for the air... $100 hit isn't too bad, just gotta work 1 night of overtime at the clinic

Please post pics on this thread if you get it soon :)

aiongiant
Jan 20, 2008, 07:25 PM

that would be wicked! =)

LizKat
Jan 20, 2008, 08:20 PM
UPDATE: IT SHIPPED EARLY!!! today Feb 1, Friday!!! hurray!!!!!!
============================
I ordered MacBook Air 1.8 with SSD.

It ships Feb 6th (Wednesday), delivery by the 11th (Monday)

Also got
the external Superdrive and
the ethernet USB

Those are to ship Feb 6th and arrive the 8th (Friday)

What, they bring the little stuff on Friday and can't drop off da bomb?

Clearly the gap from 8th to 11th is for FedEx to have time to throw it around and then write up a review of MacBook Air's aerodynamic properties.

steve31
Jan 20, 2008, 08:29 PM
Anyone that got an SSD hard drive that now says "prepared for shippment"?

LizKat
Jan 20, 2008, 08:48 PM
i am so jealous of you guys. I wish i could afford such a great machine

If a better book comes out next year you can buy the thing and file a post with a whole row of
:p :p :p :p
so start saving up your junkfood or football pool money and be ready :)

eyemac74119
Jan 20, 2008, 08:55 PM
p.s. the vaio they used to compare with the mba looks awesome!

lol:p

etorres
Jan 20, 2008, 09:26 PM
I tried changing the shipping options so it would get here quicker, but I couldnt because it was " already prepared for shipment or already shipped".

"Your order cannot be changed because your items have either been prepared for shipment or have already shipped. However, you may be able to return them from the Order details page."

Hopefully that means that Apple shipped the MBA's out early as a surprise for those that preordered. In your experience has Apple shipped out preorders earlier than stated in the past?

aiongiant
Jan 20, 2008, 09:33 PM
I tried changing the shipping options so it would get here quicker, but I couldnt because it was " already prepared for shipment or already shipped".

"Your order cannot be changed because your items have either been prepared for shipment or have already shipped. However, you may be able to return them from the Order details page."

Hopefully that means that Apple shipped the MBA's out early as a surprise for those that preordered. In your experience has Apple shipped out preorders earlier than stated in the past?

it's prob nicely packed on a crate and they dont' want to bother unpacking it to change 1 order and delay the rest

and yay for shipping early hopefully haha lets all shoot for sometime this week hehe

zapp
Jan 20, 2008, 09:36 PM
that it what I want to know too

ahaxton
Jan 20, 2008, 09:41 PM
Hopefully tomorrow I will get something out of Amazon. Gonna call like crazy lol. I'd like to know how does Amazon get their MacBook Air's. Have they gotten them already or what.

eyemac74119
Jan 20, 2008, 09:48 PM
i just ordered 25 of them for my business with all the extras. probally will take untill the next macworld keynote then theyll be obsolete

ahaxton
Jan 20, 2008, 09:59 PM
i just ordered 25 of them for my business with all the extras. probally will take untill the next macworld keynote then theyll be obsolete

Why would you say something like that?

Nibi
Jan 20, 2008, 10:08 PM
My original Amazon ship date was Febuary 5th. Tonight I decided to UPGRADE to one day shipping, and now my ship date shows March 19th :eek:. I was not happy to say the least so I contacted them. Basically their estimated ship date is not set in stone, so the CSR told me not to worry. I am still cautious so if worse comes to worse I am hitting up my local Apple store the day of.

ahaxton
Jan 20, 2008, 10:17 PM
My original Amazon ship date was Febuary 5th. Tonight I decided to UPGRADE to one day shipping, and now my ship date shows March 19th :eek:. I was not happy to say the least so I contacted them. Basically their estimated ship date is not set in stone, so the CSR told me not to worry. I am still cautious so if worse comes to worse I am hitting up my local Apple store the day of.

Yes I did the same thing and the ship date changed. I mentioned earlier though that the ship date is purely fictional.

I think us Amazoners with one day shipping are in a good position. Easily go either way, Amazon or the retail store.

eyemac74119
Jan 20, 2008, 11:01 PM
Why would you say something like that?

JUST A JOKE WITH ME ORDERing bulk. it was a lol:):)

eyemac74119
Jan 20, 2008, 11:37 PM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! :WOOT: wootercakes and my fedex ship detail is showing first scans!!!!!!!1

aiongiant
Jan 21, 2008, 12:02 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! :WOOT: wootercakes and my fedex ship detail is showing first scans!!!!!!!1

boo mine doens't show anything yet

eyemac74119
Jan 21, 2008, 01:29 AM
boo mine doens't show anything yet

d'oh that was some other accesories that i ordered. so no tracking. actually

i think Steve Jobs and apple is teasing us by this saying preparing shipment. where they may very well be in a shipping crate at apple. but they will ship out when they do. thats my $0.02

:2cents:

kernyboy
Jan 21, 2008, 02:16 AM

First scans? Really? So we just might get them this week? Steve did say they "start shipping" in two weeks ;) as in....any time now lol

kockgunner
Jan 21, 2008, 02:30 AM
My company ordered one for me today. Shipe on 6/2, arrives 11/2. Thank you, Lufthansa!

lucky little boy! btw for those who think apple is ripping you off with the SSD, dell offers 64 gb SSD on their XPS as well for about $950 too

Cybergypsy
Jan 21, 2008, 08:15 AM
First scans? Really? So we just might get them this week? Steve did say they "start shipping" in two weeks ;) as in....any time now lol I kinda think they will start shipping mid week myself :)

kernyboy
Jan 21, 2008, 10:09 AM
I kinda think they will start shipping mid week myself :)

I can't wait to get this. Its funny, the laptop says "prepared to ship" but the the superdrive still has no ship information. hmmm.

ozthegweat
Jan 21, 2008, 10:20 AM
I ordered a MBA & Superdrive on Friday and have a shipping date of Feb. 8 (I live in Switzerland).

Do you think I would have an earlier shipping date if I canceled the Superdrive?

Catch
Jan 21, 2008, 10:20 AM
Still no change on my order with the SSD... Delivery date still 19th. Got a business trip on the 18th I would love to travel light to. :D

C

Salty Pirate
Jan 21, 2008, 10:44 AM
Order placed yesterday for 1.8 GHz with 80GB HDD & an Ethernet adapter.

Ships the 12th, arrives the 15th according to the email I got. More like 4 weeks for delivery.

dual64bit
Jan 21, 2008, 10:54 AM
Mine says "Prepared for shipment", ships 2/7, arrives 2/11.

arjunm
Jan 21, 2008, 11:19 AM
Mine's shipping 6, delivery 8th.

I think these are all cautionary dates. 6th of feb is exactly 3 weeks after Macworld Keynote and I think that's just an estimate.

If we were to believe his Steveness, it should ship by the 30th of Jan.

In any case, I have my semester exams till 31st so I won't get distracted until they're over, which is a good thing :-)

JCT
Jan 21, 2008, 11:30 AM
Ordered a 1.8 + SSD on Friday, have to bug my administrator to make sure the order gets to Apple ASAP.

At least it looks like I won't have to endure the wait I had when I bought my first Apple desktop (a Dual 2.5) -- 2 months from announcement!

I would be surprised if the SSD slows things, especially with the 1.8 CPU as it is listed as a "stock" config on the web site -- I'll bet they will have both versions at the Apple Store. Will have to make a pilgrimage to the 5th Ave store when they arrive.

Anyone thinking about bags/cases yet?

JT

Azurael
Jan 21, 2008, 11:53 AM
Enjoy your ridiculously overpriced, poorly specced, minutely thinner MacBooks, with painfully slow HDDs....

I'm enjoying Mac OS on a 12" widescreen machine, with a 2.2GHz C2D and a 7200RPM HDD, which is genuinely portable, gives me 5 hours battery life, and yet I have to be a criminal to do this (well actually not, since it's legal in the EU to reverse-engineer software for compatibility, so Apple's license can go to hell.) - the real replacement for my now long-in-the-tooth 12" PB.

Seems like I'm not the only one who's pissed off with Apple about this. They'd have definitely got my cash if it was smaller....

fishkorp
Jan 21, 2008, 12:44 PM
My credit card was charged for the amount of the MBA + tax on Saturday, not the total amount of my order (ethernet, SuperDrive, airline adapter, TimeCapsule), so I'm assuming the laptop will ship today or tomorrow, the rest of the pieces when they're available.

diabolic
Jan 21, 2008, 12:50 PM
Enjoy your ridiculously overpriced, poorly specced, minutely thinner MacBooks, with painfully slow HDDs...

I definitely will. :)

I might even buy another one for my wife if she likes it.

echo44
Jan 21, 2008, 12:51 PM
My mac air with ssd 1.8 was ordered within in seconds of the store coming back up. My status hasn't changed to being prepared for shipping
Just spoke to the apple store in Chicago and they expect to have both configurations by next week! Has anyone who ordered a ssd status change?

ahaxton
Jan 21, 2008, 12:51 PM
My credit card was charged for the amount of the MBA + tax on Saturday, not the total amount of my order (ethernet, SuperDrive, airline adapter, TimeCapsule), so I'm assuming the laptop will ship today or tomorrow, the rest of the pieces when they're available.

Charged? not just authorized?

rsm5068
Jan 21, 2008, 01:27 PM
I am going to order one once I feel it in my hands at my Campus reseller; and I want that student discount which PSU only offers from the PSU Computer Store. Bunch of greedy jerks.

MacBok Air
1.8 GHz C2D
2 GB RAM
80 GB HDD
Superdrive
AppleCare

Does anyone use iWork? I don't have any experience with it and want to put it on my MBA but would like a second opinion.

Catch
Jan 21, 2008, 01:31 PM
I am going to order one once I feel it in my hands at my Campus reseller; and I want that student discount which PSU only offers from the PSU Computer Store. Bunch of greedy jerks.

MacBok Air
1.8 GHz C2D
2 GB RAM
80 GB HDD
Superdrive
AppleCare

Does anyone use iWork? I don't have any experience with it and want to put it on my MBA but would like a second opinion.

A bit off topic, but if you can afford it try to go for Office. It is an industry standard, and being versed in it will be good for your CV once out of College... I am sure you can get a student edition?

C

zippster
Jan 21, 2008, 01:32 PM
by the looks of things the most popular spec is the 1.8 with the 80gb pata drive.

i wonder how long it takes before they offer this config as an 'off the shelf' option? ;)

has anyone actually ordered the base 1.6?(out of interest)

ahaxton
Jan 21, 2008, 01:35 PM
by the looks of things the most popular spec is the 1.8 with the 80gb pata drive.

i wonder how long it takes before they off this config as an off the shelf option? ;)

has anyone actually ordered the base 1.6?(out of interest)

I ordered the base 1.6

zippster
Jan 21, 2008, 01:40 PM
I ordered the base 1.6

cool i wasnt knocking it i was just wondering as most have ordered a custom config.

cant wait for the thing anyways and my mates at work dont believe me how thin it is ;)

i can only assume that performance wise it should be as quick a macbook 2.16 (non SR) if not slighty faster so i dont get all the comments on other threads calling it a underpowered over priced waffer thin lappy .

Azurael
Jan 21, 2008, 01:46 PM
lol... You think the extra FSB speed makes up for a 720MHz clock speed (this is dual core, remember) difference, lack of dedicated graphics and hard drive that's probably half the speed of a decent 5400RPM PMR 2.5" model?

Delusional...

Catch
Jan 21, 2008, 01:52 PM
lol... You think the extra FSB speed makes up for a 720MHz clock speed (this is dual core, remember) difference, lack of dedicated graphics and hard drive that's probably half the speed of a decent 5400RPM PMR 2.5" model?

Delusional...

Reading up on the specs before you post makes you look less ignorant... :rolleyes:

C

ahaxton
Jan 21, 2008, 02:02 PM
cool i wasnt knocking it i was just wondering as most have ordered a custom config.

cant wait for the thing anyways and my mates at work dont believe me how thin it is ;)

i can only assume that performance wise it should be as quick a macbook 2.16 (non SR) if not slighty faster so i dont get all the comments on other threads calling it a underpowered over priced waffer thin lappy .

Yeah, I figured since my company is rapidly changing, I'd go base for now.

JCT
Jan 21, 2008, 02:03 PM

Delusional...

Wow-- so the MacBooks went to a dedicated graphics card? i missed that! But I can't find it on the Apple site-- do you have a link?

JT

zippster
Jan 21, 2008, 02:05 PM

Delusional...

lol if this was directed at me .... for starters i dont usually feed the trolls but hey im feeling generous..

1. you think the extra FSB speed makes up for a 720MHz clock speed (this is dual core, remember) difference?

yes considering i suggested comparing the 2.16 (non SR) and the difference between 1.8 and 2.16 = 316mhz and also apart from the chipset they are BOTH core 2 duo CPU's.

2. compared to the current macbook that also doesn't have a dedicated graphics card i cannot imagine many people will be buying to replace there gaming machine.

3. get over the whole 'buzz word' rpm values of current PATA 2.5" !!! nowadays performance isn't entirely made up by the spindle speed many other low powered drives in eco laptops spin at 4200rpm but have a much larger buffer cache size..if people wanted serious disk performance to run large databases and heavy I/O apps they would buy a desktop OR accept the compromise for a smaller more portable footprint.

Now run along little boy!

praetorianer69
Jan 21, 2008, 02:23 PM
Hello at @ - please can somebody explain...

Will some "mac books air" are shipping this week to the customers...?

Is this realy true...!!!

zapp
Jan 21, 2008, 02:46 PM
Hello at @ - please can somebody explain...

Will some "mac books air" are shipping this week to the customers...?

Is this realy true...!!!

it seems that people that ordered the 1.6 with the 80 GB HD and some 1.8 with the 80GB HD that ordered on the day of the keynote have had there orders say prepared for shipment. It would be presumed that they would go out this week. I ordered the 1.8 with the SSD and it hasn't changed status yet.

switz
Jan 21, 2008, 03:08 PM
The Apple website states my order from the developer store was placed at 10:40AM on 15 Jan for a MBA 1.8Ghz & SSD model with ethernet adapter, applecare and fast shipping. Applecare was charged immediately on the 16th. My credit card has had a pre-authorization for the MBA plus sales tax since 17 Jan. The ethernet adapter shows shipping on 6 Feb and arriving on the 8th whereas the MBA ships on the 6th and arrives by the 11th. Unless they ship earlier, a weekend typically will push the delivery out by two days.

Just for enlightenment, I just clicked on cancel the order and could have done so.

So I can either get something done or sit here hitting the screen refresh button all day....:rolleyes:

etorres
Jan 21, 2008, 03:21 PM
The Apple website states my order from the developer store was placed at 10:40AM on 15 Jan for a MBA 1.8Ghz & SSD model with ethernet adapter, applecare and fast shipping. Applecare was charged immediately on the 16th. My credit card has had a pre-authorization for the MBA plus sales tax since 17 Jan. The ethernet adapter shows shipping on 6 Feb and arriving on the 8th whereas the MBA ships on the 6th and arrives by the 11th. Unless they ship earlier, a weekend typically will push the delivery out by two days.

Just for enlightenment, I just clicked on cancel the order and could have done so.

So I can either get something done or sit here hitting the screen refresh button all day....:rolleyes:

I just tried to see if it would permit me to cancel my order for the 1.6 Ghz, 80 Gb MBA and I got this:

Your item(s) have already been prepared for shipment, so they cannot be cancelled. However, once they ship, you may be able to make a return from the Order details page.

Looks like good news for those of us who ordered early. :)

Cybergypsy
Jan 21, 2008, 03:37 PM
Mine still is prepared to ship status........

ahaxton
Jan 21, 2008, 03:53 PM
Nothing has changed here with my Amazon order.

zedsdead
Jan 21, 2008, 03:55 PM

Mine says the same. The wait is killing me! What are they waiting for to ship them?

steve31
Jan 21, 2008, 04:01 PM
still no SSD HD drives going out ? :( I am dying to get this early!!!

ahaxton
Jan 21, 2008, 04:06 PM
still no SSD HD drives going out ? :( I am dying to get this early!!!

Call all your local stores everyday in the morning like I am.

Fyodor
Jan 21, 2008, 04:14 PM
Has anyone's order of the 1.8 Ghz 80 GB model status changed from not yet shipped?

PieMac
Jan 21, 2008, 04:14 PM

Just curious...which one did you order-1.6 or 1.8?

Mark5422
Jan 21, 2008, 04:31 PM
Ordered on the 16th. Due for shipping on the 6th. Delivery on the 16th. Seems a really long delivery time to me. Most I've had ship within 5 days after dispatch though so expect it sooner.

Still no change in order status.

80GB 1.8GHz

Datagears
Jan 21, 2008, 06:56 PM
I was hoping for the pictures.

What no:

This is a picture of me...

- checking the Applestore for the 20th time today to see if the ship status has changed.

- making a poll on MacRumors while I wait.

- looking out the window for the UPS van.

- stalking the local UPS van.

- having a GTG at the local MUG to pass the time.

Yes ... i can relate with this totally!

Ship by the 11 arrive by 14th

Cybergypsy
Jan 21, 2008, 07:19 PM
Just curious...which one did you order-1.6 or 1.8?
I ordered both, but canceled the 1.8

scottkifnw
Jan 21, 2008, 07:28 PM
I ordered mine day of announcement, ship date 2/6, arrive before 2/12.

My rig 1.8/80/super drive/3 yr warranty.

My concern: This is my first Mac, and with any notebook (little to no upgrade path), I worry that I am trading power (rumored new Penryn Pro's) versus sex appeal.

I will only be doing some photo manipulation, word processing, and lots of surfing.

Any thoughts?

sek

AirmanPika
Jan 21, 2008, 07:40 PM
I will only be doing some photo manipulation, word processing, and lots of surfing.

Any thoughts?

sek

It will work fine for all those. It just won't be as snappy.

aiongiant
Jan 21, 2008, 07:47 PM
I ordered mine day of announcement, ship date 2/6, arrive before 2/12.

My rig 1.8/80/super drive/3 yr warranty.

My concern: This is my first Mac, and with any notebook (little to no upgrade path), I worry that I am trading power (rumored new Penryn Pro's) versus sex appeal.

Any thoughts?

sek

if thats all your planning to do then the macbook air should be more than able to handle it

it's only if you plan to do gaming/3d rendering/ audio compositing/ or high end photoshoping like talking about HUGE image resolution images
then you would get the macbook pro

mich73
Jan 21, 2008, 07:55 PM
sek, as long as your not planning on doing any type of gaming or video editing, you should be just fine.

I sold my MacBook last month hoping that a new Mac would be released this month. While I wait for my MBA to arrive, I'm using my 5 year old PowerBookG4 (1 GHz with 512MB ram). I'm surprised, it's held up pretty well. I even have Leopard installed on it.

Enjoy your first Mac!!!!

Cybergypsy
Jan 21, 2008, 08:40 PM
Yea, just found a great home for my macbook :) and still I hope it ships tomorrow :)

scottkifnw
Jan 21, 2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback and support!

Can't wait for my shiny new MBA

ahaxton
Jan 21, 2008, 09:50 PM
WOOOO!!! saw the commercial for the first time on tv during Prison Break! Loved it.

PieMac
Jan 21, 2008, 10:18 PM
I ordered both, but canceled the 1.8

Same here...had I left my original order for the 1.8 it would probably be in the "prepared for shipment" stage by now as I ordered right after the keynote. Oh well...shouldn't be too much longer. I'll be surprised if they don't ship this week.

weeman
Jan 22, 2008, 01:58 AM
Just placed an order for it. Called the Amazon Customer Help Line cause my shipping date was March 19th and they told me they were supposed to get it in stock on the 24th and shipped shortly after so disregard the shipping date! Woo Hoo!

1.6/80 for me

praetorianer69
Jan 22, 2008, 02:10 AM
Just placed an order for it. Called the Amazon Customer Help Line cause my shipping date was March 19th and they told me they were supposed to get it in stock on the 24th and shipped shortly after so disregard the shipping date! Woo Hoo!

1.6/80 for me

24th of january...?

That would be great...

Hyper Driver
Jan 22, 2008, 03:06 AM
MACBOOK AIR 13/1.6/2GB/80GB-USA

Ships by: Feb 12
Delivers by: Feb 18

Ordered January 20

Cybergypsy
Jan 22, 2008, 03:12 AM
Still the same this morning any one see anything new???

Particular
Jan 22, 2008, 03:28 AM
Here in Australia the stores have received ship dates of Feb 6th for the MacBook Air and Time Capsule. Others have received a Feb 21st ship date for the MBA.

dexpot
Jan 22, 2008, 03:38 AM
Ships by 11 Feb, 2008.
Delivers by: 15 Feb, 2008.
Ordered January 18.

Germany. :)

Malcster
Jan 22, 2008, 04:02 AM
1.6 Ghz with 64 GB SSD

Ships by 11th Feb
Delivery by 18th Feb
Still at 'Not yet shipped'

UK

domhnal
Jan 22, 2008, 04:11 AM
Greetings all,

I ordered the new MacBook Air 13/1.8/2GB/80GB with Standard Shipping to Canada. From my experience with Apple.ca shipping, it usually doesn't matter which method I choose - gets here the same time "early". This is my 3rd Apple laptop and 7th Apple computer, no complaints....huge fan, convert users daily!!

My G4 12" PowerBook was my last attempt at holding on to a small laptop for airline travel. I have been contemplating a 15" MacBook Pro for the last 6 months...but have been holding out for the MBA. Just a little sad about the FireWire because I use an Apple Cinema display, so I guess will be losing the monitor ports with the MBA.

Here are the details from my order placed on Jan 21st. If it does ship on the 12th from Shanghai, I usually get product 4-5 days later. Here is hoping for the 15th or 18th.

Ships by: Feb 12
Delivers by: Feb 22

Ordered January 21

Cybergypsy
Jan 22, 2008, 04:27 AM
I ordered during the key note, the apple store came up for a minute....

my ship dates Feb 6, by Feb 12th :)

praetorianer69
Jan 22, 2008, 04:33 AM
I ordered during the key note, the apple store came up for a minute....

my ship dates Feb 6, by Feb 12th :)

I am a little confused, i have read something about in this thread that some mac books air are on the way to the customers...

Is this true...

Ordered - 15.01.
Shipping - 05.02.
Delivering - 11.02.

Hydramus
Jan 22, 2008, 04:35 AM
Hmm... looks like John Mayer already has his...

http://blog.honeyee.com/john/archives/2008/01/macbook_air.html

Lucky *******

Cybergypsy
Jan 22, 2008, 05:05 AM
Hmm... looks like John Mayer already has his...

http://blog.honeyee.com/john/archives/2008/01/macbook_air.html

Lucky *******
looks like it says Mon on his macbook must be nice.....

ahaxton
Jan 22, 2008, 07:11 AM
John Mayer makes me mad.....

Why did I listen to my mom when she said, keep the money forget fame. I should become a Paparazzi whore.

I don't know anyone who got a MacBook Air so early.....

Hmm wonder what sort of circles I need to be in to get Mac stuff early lol. Cool swag would be nice instead of so so swag.

sosnow
Jan 22, 2008, 08:26 AM
Does anyone anticipate long lines like the iphone for the MBA. I am planning on going to my local Apple store as soon as I read someone on this forum has a shipping confirmation. But I am wondering what this group thinks about the demand and if it will be immediately soldout.

Thanks

PS This is the only positive forum out there for the MBA. I understand that some don't like it and that is fine, but they keep clogging all the forums with negatives. I ahope that after we start seeing some in public the positive forums will appear.

TanToday
Jan 22, 2008, 08:39 AM
PS This is the only positive forum out there for the MBA. I understand that some don't like it and that is fine, but they keep clogging all the forums with negatives. I ahope that after we start seeing some in public the positive forums will appear.

I'm working the OVERLOOKED market angle on this thread down in the MacBook Air forum section:

MacBook Air as a FASHION STATEMENT for the Hip and Cool crowd. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=419575)

PieMac
Jan 22, 2008, 08:42 AM
...someone on this forum has a shipping confirmation.

Do you remember which thread you saw this in? I just did a search and nothing is coming up.

n0de
Jan 22, 2008, 08:50 AM
I think it was on page 6 or 7 of this thread...

Malcster
Jan 22, 2008, 08:51 AM
Do you remember which thread you saw this in? I just did a search and nothing is coming up.

Not sure on this forum but on the Apple MacBook Air discussion forum a few people have got to the Prepared for Shipment stage.

Link (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1351817&tstart=0)

n0de
Jan 22, 2008, 08:55 AM
Mine does say "Prepared for shipment" and I cannot make any changes to the order, but the ship date still shows Feb 6 with delivery by Feb 12.

The last time I did this was with the PB upgrade to the 1.67 15". I ordered immediately after keynote and they shipped a few days later. I never remember seeing the "Prepared for Shipment", just straight from "Not Yet Shipped" to a half a dozen scans in China.

PieMac
Jan 22, 2008, 08:59 AM
Not sure on this forum but on the Apple MacBook Air discussion forum a few people have got to the Prepared for Shipment stage.

Link (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1351817&tstart=0)

Yeah, been following that thread too. I just did a google search and so far it doesn't appear that anyone has received confirmation of it actually shipping yet. Think I'm going to go ahead and list my MBP on Ebay today anyway. Think I can survive a few days or a week or so without a laptop if need.

n0de
Jan 22, 2008, 09:09 AM
Usually when either a Fedex or UPS label is printed the tracking number is generated immediately and just shows in the system as having no tracking information (label information transmitted by shipper).

Now if our MBA's are already labeled to the point that we cannot cancel our orders, I wonder what the deal is. Unless instead of shipping them direct from China, they are coming in batch to the US then sent on.

If I remember correctly, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, Fedex from China goes to Alaska to clear customs then on to Indy for general distribution. So if a full batch goes through customs in AK but is not sent directly to the consumer until it hits Indy, then this "Prepared" status could sit for at least 2 more days before showing shipping scan progress which would begin in Indy.

Sorry about the rambling, this is the best distraction from the stock markets I have right now....

skyrider007
Jan 22, 2008, 09:14 AM
Sorry about the rambling, this is the best distraction from the stock markets I have right now....

ohhh bad day eh. just steer clear from it. don't sell anything u might later on regret.

PieMac
Jan 22, 2008, 09:21 AM

No kidding...I am not enjoying watching my Apple stock drop like a lead balloon this am. I feel confidant it will rebound, but it's unnerving.

sanford
Jan 22, 2008, 09:57 AM
John Mayer makes me mad.....

Why did I listen to my mom when she said, keep the money forget fame. I should become a Paparazzi whore.

I don't know anyone who got a MacBook Air so early.....

Hmm wonder what sort of circles I need to be in to get Mac stuff early lol. Cool swag would be nice instead of so so swag.

I think Apple has recognized the benefit of serving the walk-in customer for the consumer line at the same time they deliver to the indoctrinated, in-the-know, pre-ordering customer.

Me, I'm still up in the air about it, pardon the pun. I need to hold it, type on it, before I decide. I'm in the former, small-ish group for whom an MB Air is far more than enough for work, although hardly necessary, as my wife is always happy to remind me. She's fine with what I *want* for work, but when I start talking *need* for work, she'll make the all-too-accurate point that all I *need* to make a living, even in contemporary terms, is a decade-old Dell brick of "portable" I can pick up well-used for about $75. Single USB port for an iPhone and a Time Machine drive, and, rarely, other things, well, I have a perfectly good USB hub for my desk. Audio-in, rare, see USB hub. Optical drive, there's the network drive option and we already have the extra Mac with SuperDrive to use. Oh would there were a 120GB drive option. I'm stuck on the 80GB drive, not for work, but mostly for a *subset* of more than a couple decades of recorded music, and several years of amateur digital photography, plus reasonable headroom for the inevitable adding-to on both fronts. And I can't stand managing two Macs, anymore -- I want it all there all the time; we even sync my wife's iPhone with my Mac so we don't have to duplicate, especially photos and music, across two computers, but even calendars and contacts, as .mac sync notwithstanding there's still some gapping can occur, usually when I most need the items to have made it to the other Mac and onto her iPhone.

Don't need FireWire; don't need, well, anything else it doesn't have. External display, wireless keyboard and Might Mouse, all already covered when I get that fairly short-lived 13-inch display cramped feeling. Plenty of .mac back-up space if I need mobile back-up. No WiFi Internet access for an extended period, flash drive I already own more than enough for a .mac Backup set for new photos or current project work -- you know, the isolated mountain cabin or beach-cottage rental holiday scenario. I'd just have to pare down even more, all on the music front, really.

Okay wait, I just thought of something. You people with all the Mac expertise, chime in, would you? My Time Machine drive, which happens to be FireWire, which happens to have a USB2 interface, too is partitioned, a big enough chunk for Time Machine, going back several months, although I'm far, far more concerned about the automated everything back-up than I am the I-tossed-that-but-I-need-it-a-two-months-later deal. There's 250 MB open on the other partition, which is really just slush, some of our DVDs I've ripped for almost no reason -- just don't watch movies on the iPhones -- and we tend to go first for Blu-ray if available, second for standard DVD, very, very distant third for digital video purchases, like never a movie, just a few TV programs for the kids.

So can't I just put my iTunes library on that external drive, for purposes of playing music at my desk, and syncing with my iPhone and our AppleTV, also streaming to said AppleTV? That separate partition is already backed-up by Time Machine, it's just all the folders are excluded because they're all slush. If I move my iTunes folder there, Time Machine will automatically start backing it up. On the go, local or out of town, my sync needs approach zero. iCal events I can just enter on my iPhone and sync when I get home; frankly, I already enter new contacts on my iPhone as I find it easier, especially commercial contacts I can grab from Goggle maps and then sync back the other way, to my Mac. Photography can just stay on the MB Air -- I'm amateur high-quality JPEG-level, not a semi-pro amateur large-file, RAW-format-level photographer. I can get at least a 150 albums on my iPhone, granted out of over a thousand, but we're talking a couple weeks, a month, away. I collect lots of recorded music, but I'm not insane; 150 select albums for on holiday is a lot. That's not including what we can put on my wife's iPhone. If we plan on watching movies on holiday, we'll take DVDs -- for new films, a couple Netflix, and then buy a handful of older ones we haven't seen -- along with us, packing a oh so terribly sophisticated, very small $30 player that works with just about any TV made in twenty years. But on extended holidays we're far more likely to take 50 pounds of books than park in front of the TV, even for movies.

Sorry, I've run on, but I can't poke any holes in this plan. But others of you are surely better suited to spot any problems. If anyone can confirm this will work just fine with the MB Air, thanks, you've made me $1,800 poorer. My would be happy to adopt my current MacBook, though. Still I have to do a real touch-and-feel thing in an Apple Store for the typing-on-it aspect, but...

n0de
Jan 22, 2008, 10:04 AM
Sanford,

Your plan is just fine. It is exactly what I will do.

To move your iTunes directory, follow the instructions here:
http://lifehacker.com/software/itunes/ultranewb--how-to-move-your-itunes-library-to-an-external-drive-238296.php

You will still actually be able to sync your calendar and contacts to your iPhone even when the library is nor connected, as long as you do not change your playlists.

n0de
Jan 22, 2008, 10:15 AM
Sanford,

One last thing....:D

For your plan, since you will have all of your backups on a single drive, you NEED to buy a second drive to make occasional backups of your backup.

I know this sounds really redundant, but I have never had a USB drive last more than 2 years. I have always had machines where I had a second copy, but since your plan above indicates you do not want a duplicate copy of everything on your Air, if that one drive goes bad you will be out of luck.

Azurael
Jan 22, 2008, 10:25 AM
lol if this was directed at me .... for starters i dont usually feed the trolls but hey im feeling generous..

1. you think the extra FSB speed makes up for a 720MHz clock speed (this is dual core, remember) difference?

yes considering i suggested comparing the 2.16 (non SR) and the difference between 1.8 and 2.16 = 316mhz and also apart from the chipset they are BOTH core 2 duo CPU's.

2. compared to the current macbook that also doesn't have a dedicated graphics card i cannot imagine many people will be buying to replace there gaming machine.

3. get over the whole 'buzz word' rpm values of current PATA 2.5" !!! nowadays performance isn't entirely made up by the spindle speed many other low powered drives in eco laptops spin at 4200rpm but have a much larger buffer cache size..if people wanted serious disk performance to run large databases and heavy I/O apps they would buy a desktop OR accept the compromise for a smaller more portable footprint.

Now run along little boy!

For some reason, I read MacBook Pro non-SR 2.16GHz, maily because most of the non-SR MacBooks I've met have been 2GHz or lower, of course that's because most people bought the bottom model, so sorry about that :D

1. Your maths are slightly eschewed. 2.16x2=4.32. 1.8x2=3.6. 4.32-3.6=0.72. The difference is, as I stated, 720MHz. There are very few, if any tasks, where the difference between a 667MT/s FSB and an 800MT/s FSB will cover this clockspeed difference.

2. You are correct. As I stated, I misread your previous post.

3. Your understanding of the hard drive industry is laughable. Yes, a PMR 4200RPM drive is probably as fast, or faster than non-PMR 5400RPM drive. However, 1.8" HDDs are comically slow. Their seek times are absolutely dreadful, and continuous disk-to-buffer transfer rates will never come remotely near a 2.5" HDD of the same spindle speed. Have you ever tried booting off an iPod? It doesn't matter how much cache you put in the drive, it will never cover such dreadful physical disk performance. Hybrid drives would probably be a tremendous improvement, but Apple aren't using those.

If you want to flame somebody, flame yourself, sir.

n0de
Jan 22, 2008, 10:31 AM
The hardware debate is over. Get on with your life.

Those of us who recognize what this machine is for and are still buying it comprehend the shortfalls and have made a consious decision to go ahead and buy one.

If you want to pick a fight, please go elsewhere.

Catch
Jan 22, 2008, 10:33 AM
For some reason, I read MacBook Pro non-SR 2.16GHz, maily because most of the non-SR MacBooks I've met have been 2GHz or lower, of course that's because most people bought the bottom model, so sorry about that :D

1. Your maths are slightly eschewed. 2.16x2=4.32. 1.8x2=3.6. 4.32-3.6=0.72. The difference is, as I stated, 720MHz. There are very few, if any tasks, where the difference between a 667MT/s FSB and an 800MT/s FSB will cover this clockspeed difference.

2. You are correct. As I stated, I misread your previous post.

3. Your understanding of the hard drive industry is laughable. Yes, a PMR 4200RPM drive is probably as fast, or faster than non-PMR 5400RPM drive. However, 1.8" HDDs are comically slow. Their seek times are absolutely dreadful, and continuous disk-to-buffer transfer rates will never come remotely near a 2.5" HDD of the same spindle speed. Have you ever tried booting off an iPod? It doesn't matter how much cache you put in the drive, it will never cover such dreadful physical disk performance. Hybrid drives would probably be a tremendous improvement, but Apple aren't using those.

... all of this has got to do with Apple shipping the MBA what exactly?

Regards,

C

sanford
Jan 22, 2008, 10:39 AM
Sanford,

One last thing....:D

For your plan, since you will have all of your backups on a single drive, you NEED to buy a second drive to make occasional backups of your backup.

I know this sounds really redundant, but I have never had a USB drive last more than 2 years. I have always had machines where I had a second copy, but since your plan above indicates you do not want a duplicate copy of everything on your Air, if that one drive goes bad you will be out of luck.

Hey, that's cool news, I can sync all the non-media stuff even without the actual media present, so long as I don't tinker with the playlists, which would be by accident I suppose since the music isn't really there anyway.

Oh, I get you on the double back-up. The separate Time Machine partition helps from what I've read, but if the whole drive goes, well, the whole drive goes. The only thing that won't exist on both the MB Air and the Time Machine drive will be the iTunes library. I have a somewhat smaller USB2 drive I use to use for back-ups, but far and away plenty of space for just my iTunes library, and I've never had any problems with that drive, nor has it been much used. So, what about this: since I have a good, powered 7-port USB2 hub which under this scenario, don't laugh, will only have *three* ports on it that will always have devices plugged in, couldn't I just take that second USB2 drive, make it my iTunes library drive, keep it plugged in and powered (when the Mac isn't asleep; it spins down and goes into low-power when the host computer sleeps), then just let my current Time Machine partition on my newer back-up drive automatically back up the iTunes library on that second external USB2 drive? So that way it's hourly just like all my other data, no occasional backing up of the external iTunes library required.

PieMac
Jan 22, 2008, 10:43 AM
The hardware debate is over. Get on with your life.

Those of us who recognize what this machine is for and are still buying it comprehend the shortfalls and have made a consious decision to go ahead and buy one.

If you want to pick a fight, please go elsewhere.

I second this-why waste your time and our time posting to this thread? If you don't like the MBA, fine...but we didn't ask for your opinions, and your opinions have nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

Azurael
Jan 22, 2008, 11:00 AM
... all of this has got to do with Apple shipping the MBA what exactly?

Regards,

C

Nothing specifically to do with shipping them, anyway. Then again, at least my post regarded the MacBook Air, rather than just nitpicking others' posts.

joegomolski
Jan 22, 2008, 11:21 AM
mine says delivers 2/11, 1 day less than the original order

iEric
Jan 22, 2008, 11:51 AM
mine says delivers 2/11, 1 day less than the original order

oh sweet they're starting to decrease days!!

not mine though.

sad, but true.

ship 02/11
del 02/21

aiongiant
Jan 22, 2008, 12:07 PM
good to hear if there starting to shift dates and stuff
but yea mine didn't change thougth boo

Ships by: 6 Feb
Delivers by: 18 Feb

mashoutposse
Jan 22, 2008, 12:10 PM

You are wrong. Both units are Core 2 Duo, so the difference is 360MHz. Think about it: A C2D 2.16GHz is NOT 0.72GHz faster than a C2D 1.8GHz. No amount of faulty math will get around that fact.

I highly doubt Apple is using iPod HDDs in the MBA. Ask yourself why the 160GB unit from the iPod Classic isn't in there. I'm betting that they went with the highest performance drive that they could lay their hands on. MBA isn't the first laptop with a 1.8" drive; it will likely be fast enough.

scottkifnw
Jan 22, 2008, 12:21 PM
I am glad we got all that nastiness out of the way, and we can all just get along.

Per the thread, my ship dates haven't changed (boo-hoo).

No to get too far off track, what is SR, and PMR that you all were writing about?

Thanks.:confused:

memberako
Jan 22, 2008, 12:22 PM
Would the MBA be available at the stores on Feb 6 too (Same as shipping dates)?

ahaxton
Jan 22, 2008, 12:27 PM
Would the MBA be available at the stores on Feb 6 too (Same as shipping dates)?

We're expecting them in stores beginning of next week.

shk718
Jan 22, 2008, 12:34 PM
We're expecting them in stores beginning of next week.

so here is an annoying question - but we're all thinking it - if they hit the stores before they arrive at our homes can we return the one ordered online when it comes (and buy the one in the store)?

christopher3071
Jan 22, 2008, 12:35 PM
No jokes, but you won't get yours faster than someone ordering it directly from Apple for the obvious reasons.

Not necessarily, remember the iPod touch release? People were furious. People complained because COSTCO was getting touches in before the preorders arrived at people's homes and apple was giving a certain few ticked off customers up to $100 off their iPod touch PLUS free overnight shipping.. So this is not always the case that if you buy from apple you'll receive the earliest.

n0de
Jan 22, 2008, 12:36 PM
I think we will all be rather upset if they show up for sale in the stores before ours' ship. Why pre-order if it means you are not going to be the first on the block to get it?

Now if they go ahead and put demo units (not for sale, just for show) in the stores early to help the unsure crowd decide, that would be cool.

Don't get me wrong, if they are for sale in the stores the day mine ships I am OK, but if they are for sale a week or two before mine ships I will be pissed. Another strike at the early adopters.

n0de
Jan 22, 2008, 12:49 PM
More speculation -

Remember when Leapard came out and Fedex threw a screaming fit about the increase in delivery volume, phone calls, etc? I wonder if Apple is not telling us that they have shipped or providing tracking numbers until after the expected delivery date to appease the delivery company....

This would explain why those whose shipments are now "Prepared" cannot cancel our orders. This would also place the timing of delivery to either Saturday or Monday which would allow for the machines to be in the stores next week too.

Why is it that waiting for a new toy like this turns me from a 36 year old adult into a 5 year old waiting for Xmas?

aiongiant
Jan 22, 2008, 12:52 PM
yea i agree if theres demo units there but not for sale thats cool but that would suck if the stores get the macbook air before our pre-order ships

Azurael
Jan 22, 2008, 12:56 PM
You are wrong. Both units are Core 2 Duo, so the difference is 360MHz. Think about it: A C2D 2.16GHz is NOT 0.72GHz faster than a C2D 1.8GHz. No amount of faulty math will get around that fact.

Nope, it's definitely your math that's wrong. I've explained why. Each core has a 360MHz advantage over the 1.8GHz model. There are two cores, therefore the total extra clock speed of the 2.16GHz C2D IS 720MHz. OK, as far as a single thread goes, it's 360MHz faster, but how often do you run a single app at a time these days, and how many of Apple's apps are natively multithreaded anyway? I really can't see why so many of you are having trouble getting your heads round it...

I highly doubt Apple is using iPod HDDs in the MBA. Ask yourself why the 160GB unit from the iPod Classic isn't in there. I'm betting that they went with the highest performance drive that they could lay their hands on. MBA isn't the first laptop with a 1.8" drive; it will likely be fast enough.

Unless Apple is having the drives custom built for the MBA, they're slow. No two ways about it. Even if there were, there are physical constraints that mean a 1.8" HDD will never be as fast as it's 2.5" contemporaries. Same applies with 2.5-3.5" disks. My 7200RPM Seagate laptop drive reads about half as fast as my 320GB Hitachi desktop drive at the outside. Seek times are also vastly increased for the notebook drive. The only reason they're not using the 160GB model is that it's got two platters and is thus too thick for the MBA.

Apple aren't the first people to do it, but I will never understand this moronic pursuit of thin-ness. Within reason (and I don't consider 1" to be unreasonable) it's not thin-ness that makes a machine portable, it's light weight and width and depth. MBA is all about the looks and showing off the technology. It's not really any more portable than the normal MacBook. It's too much of a feature trade-off for the loss of weight too. They could have at least cut down the screen bezel to make the machine a bit smaller. It's not like a machine even has to have a screen that big to have a decent keyboard. I've never had trouble typing on a 12" machine, in fact, the 12" PB's keyboard is identically sized to the larger models.

Sony (and several other East-Asian manufacturers) have, for many years made ultraportables with built in optical drives, many of them even used proper HDDs, and they were much more portable than the MBA could even dream of being. Even my 12" PB is more portable in my opinion, and that's not really a small machine by ultraportable standards. 1/4 of an inch is nothing at the end of the day.

mashoutposse
Jan 22, 2008, 12:58 PM
I am glad we got all that nastiness out of the way, and we can all just get along.

Per the thread, my ship dates haven't changed (boo-hoo).

No to get too far off track, what is SR, and PMR that you all were writing about?

Thanks.:confused:

SR = Intel Santa Rosa chipset used in June 07 MBPs and November 07 MBs.

PMR = perpendicular magnetic recording; much more dense storage arrangement for data on HDDs

ahaxton
Jan 22, 2008, 01:05 PM
Well from talking to a few different apple stores it really looks as if next week is it. Don't really know why they don't want any exact dates. Who knows maybe you guys pre-ordered from the apple store will just wake up one day and find your package lol.

n0de
Jan 22, 2008, 01:06 PM
Anyone else's credit card hit yet? Tele operator at my bank verified the transaction as posting today.

I will be even more pissed if I have to wait in line at the genius bar to pick mine up!!

Azurael
Jan 22, 2008, 01:10 PM
MacBook Air - Ultraportable MBP ORDERED

It's not really an ultraportable MacBook Pro, is it? If it was, it would have at least some of the features that give the MBP an advantage of the MacBook, wouldn't it? It doesn't have a dedicated GPU, it doesn't have a higher res screen, so I don't really know where, other than boasting, the idea that it's an ultraportable MacBook Pro comes from... Price, maybe? Backlit keyboard? (Although I wouldn't buy a machine over another for that reason - I always disabled mine on my PB because it made the keycaps unreadable in most light...)

And ultraportable is debatable too.. An Eee is ultraportable. Really, this is just a slim notebook.

Anyway, I'm obviously just making people's blood boil by pointing out what I see as the flaws of this machine, so I'll butt out now, and go back to waiting for the 12" PB's replacement.

ahaxton
Jan 22, 2008, 01:13 PM
It's not really an ultraportable MacBook Pro, is it? If it was, it would have at least some of the features that give the MBP an advantage of the MacBook, wouldn't it? It doesn't have a dedicated GPU, it doesn't have a higher res screen, so I don't really know where, other than boasting, the idea that it's an ultraportable MacBook Pro comes from... Price, maybe?

And ultraportable is debatable too.. An Eee is ultraportable. Really, this is just a slim notebook.

lol it was just to tick off a few people when we were "debating".
Each term is his own. I just call it an ultraportable MBP because if it wasn't for the MBA I would have bought the MBP. I don't like how the MB looks, feels, plus some of the features of the MBP I liked over the MB.

n0de
Jan 22, 2008, 01:17 PM
Yeah I am really hoping that the keyboard backlight is not as annoying with the black keys as it is on the MBP's silver keys...

mashoutposse
Jan 22, 2008, 01:29 PM
Nope, it's definitely your math that's wrong. I've explained why. Look at the very simple math a two year old could handle. Each core has a 360MHz advantage over the 1.8GHz model. There are two cores, therefore the total extra clock speed of the 2.16GHz C2D IS 720MHz. OK, as far as a single thread goes, it's 360MHz faster, but how often do you run a single app at a time these days, and how many of Apple's apps are natively multithreaded anyway?

:confused:

The "720MHz" that you're defining is not the same as the numbers being used to rate the CPU. If the processors were explicitly rated 4.32GHz and 3.6GHz, then your 720MHz would be properly relevant. Saying that "the difference is really 720MHz" when the discussion is about dual core "1.8GHz" and "2.16GHz" CPUs is misleading, at best.

It's like handing me 10 Hong Kong Dollars when I ask you to lend me $10.

Think about the percentages. The difference between the 2.16GHz and the 1.8GHz is 20% (or 16.67% going the other way). Full stop. Again, no amount of faulty math will make that number bigger than it is.

n0de
Jan 22, 2008, 01:34 PM
The processor math question seems to be divided, you can both obviously do basic math :cool:

What will answer the question is not what is the difference in the labeled Mhz, but is the labeled Mhz shared by each core, or does each core run at the labeled Mhz (1.8/2 or 1.8x2)?

If it shared (1.8/2) then the delta is smaller than if each one runs discreetly (1.8x2).

mashoutposse
Jan 22, 2008, 01:42 PM
The processor math question seems to be divided, you can both obviously do basic math :cool:

What will answer the question is not what is the difference in the labled Mhz, but is the labeled Mhz shared by each core, or does each core run at the labeled Mhz (1.8/2 or 1.8x2)?

LOL :p Pretty much.

Example: We're comparing a C2D 2.0GHz with a (hypothetical) C2D 1.0GHz. Within the scope of the discussion, it is disingenuous to suggest that the 2.0GHz is... 2.0GHz faster :p

kernyboy
Jan 22, 2008, 02:27 PM
Just checkd my thingie online...and apparently mine is in China? insane!

n0de
Jan 22, 2008, 02:29 PM
Kernyboy - what was your order date/time?

mashoutposse
Jan 22, 2008, 02:29 PM
Congrrrrrrrrrrrrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:eek::apple:

RicksterMac
Jan 22, 2008, 02:43 PM
Has anyone confirmed the MBA 1.8 GHz configuration is in the "prepared for shipment" stage yet? Thanks

sanford
Jan 22, 2008, 02:51 PM

That'll mean the paperwork has been electronically submitted to the local FedEx station, and it'll fly out next FedEx flight window (in the evenings, local time). You should have it by Friday, counting it may not actually fly out until tomorrow local Chinese time.

I figured. Under-promise, over-deliver. I'm going to call a local Apple Store and see what they say about having them in stock for sale.

aiongiant
Jan 22, 2008, 02:59 PM

whoa! awesome man congrats!

boo mine hasn't been updated yet still prepared for shipment
comon apple! i want it by friday! ahah

DaveC
Jan 22, 2008, 03:25 PM
This is the only positive forum out there for the MBA. I understand that some don't like it and that is fine, but they keep clogging all the forums with negatives. I ahope that after we start seeing some in public the positive forums will appear.

Well, go here for a MBA friendly forum/discussion. Just set it up yesterday and hopefully it can be a good watering hole for exchanging information and tips/tricks/hacks. Hopefully...

http://groups.google.com/group/mac-book-air

DaveC

n0de
Jan 22, 2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks DaveC!!

sanford
Jan 22, 2008, 03:39 PM
Apple aren't the first people to do it, but I will never understand this moronic pursuit of thin-ness. Within reason (and I don't consider 1" to be unreasonable) it's not thin-ness that makes a machine portable, it's light weight and width and depth. MBA is all about the looks and showing off the technology. It's not really any more portable than the normal MacBook.

I like the MB Air and I'm seriously considering buying one, as with my wife and three kids we have a direct pass-down path for my work Macs, nothing has to be sold or sit unused. But I can't fault Azurael's comments on design. Ultra-thin is not necessarily the most important or even desirable ergonomic trait in a notebook computer. Less than a third of an inch is *negligible*. As for weight, the difference between 5 pounds and maybe 1.5 pounds is substantial. The difference between 5 pounds and 3 pounds is not in practice particularly that great. For example, on the shelf here in front of me, Johnson's fairly long but good enough recent novel "Tree of Smoke", in hardback, weighs right about two pounds. I throw that in my bag with a 5-pound MacBook or a 3-pound MB Air, I'm really going to notice the difference. I throw in several such books, or a couple of average trade paperbacks with a ten-pound Dell monster, sure, that who package I'll notice.

But when you're talking about carting about in a bag or backpack an iPhone or iPod, a couple file folders, a book, a magazine, maybe a paper notebook, a pen or two, typical mobile kit, whether it's a MacBook or an MB Air, the weight difference is not something that will register. What you will notice, if you're not comfortable with the network optical drive solution or the MB Air will be your only computer, so you'll need that external SuperDrive, is the trouble of packing that in once in a while, and you'll notice with that item on your desk, the MB Air's footprint is actually larger than a MacBook; and if you have an iPhone and don't care to cable switch between the optical drive and the iPhone cable or cradle, add a hub, etc. Quickly, it's not so lean as it appears at first blush.

So at a premium you have less storage, fewer ports of the kind you will actually use, less storage, etc. I've read a lot of MB Air buyers on here stating the $1,000 premium for overall less solid-state storage is just out there, hardly worth it. I think you have to acknowledge it's fair someone will see a $700 premium for twice the RAM but slower speed, no optical drive, no internal optical available period, no analog/optical audio-in line, no included remote, no internal storage upgrade possible, very reasonably priced but time-consuming battery replacement, it's not worth it for a third inch and two pounds.

Again, this from someone who may very well buy one of the $1,800 models, but I do need to have a look at first, hold, use it. If it gives me that feeling of perfect leanness, of ergonomic efficiency and overall simplicity of form, then no matter it's not much leaner, and not smaller really at all, and may ultimately be less simple, with an external or remote optical drive required from time to time, then that premium may be well worth it for me. In my head. Which is really only what counts, if I'm satisfied. But you have to acknowledge it's latitude you're getting on your personal choice of what is, ultimately, almost purely style and afford the same latitude to others' choices of style.

And you do have to admit: You can spend $2,000 on a very top designer's wool suit, or spend $1,000 on a perfectly nice wool suit from a line with less cachet. The MB Air over the MacBook, it's all about that cachet.

rsm5068
Jan 22, 2008, 03:41 PM

This is because most people, myself included, were looking for a MBP in something the size of a ritz cracker. Most people just can't deal with the fact that the 12" PowerBook is gone and may never return. The people on this thread understand the intended purpose of the MBA and love it. Do I wish it had a faster processor, yes but who doesn't. Just because the MBA can't take full advantage of Maya and doesn't have an optical drive doesn't mean that it sucks, it just showcases a transformation in technology. My friend's dad said the day of the Keynote "Apple was the first one to get rid of the Floppy too... Do you miss it?" And besides, when was the last time you actually used DVD's anyhow?

teerexx52
Jan 22, 2008, 03:50 PM
This is because most people, myself included, were looking for a MBP in something the size of a ritz cracker. Most people just can't deal with the fact that the 12" PowerBook is gone and may never return. The people on this thread understand the intended purpose of the MBA and love it. Do I wish it had a faster processor, yes but who doesn't. Just because the MBA can't take full advantage of Maya and doesn't have an optical drive doesn't mean that it sucks, it just showcases a transformation in technology. My friend's dad said the day of the Keynote "Apple was the first one to get rid of the Floppy too... Do you miss it?" And besides, when was the last time you actually used DVD's anyhow?

Well said "Thanks"

Azurael
Jan 22, 2008, 03:56 PM
No, there's a substantial difference... Beside the fact that I'd stopped using floppies long before Apple dumped them (I can't remember using one after my Amigas really), I don't miss the optical drive. I'm happy to live without the optical drive, if the machine was actually small. However, doesn't it strike you as odd that other manufacturers can build machines as small as the MBA by volume, and probably smaller in terms of practical portability, which have proper HDDs in them?

I mourn the 12" PowerBook. It was a popular product. It's too early to say whether the MBA will be a popular product, but it certainly seems a lot more niche to me. I can't see how it's going to sell on anything but looks.

scottkifnw
Jan 22, 2008, 04:24 PM
SR = Intel Santa Rosa chipset used in June 07 MBPs and November 07 MBs.

PMR = perpendicular magnetic recording; much more dense storage arrangement for data on HDDs

I knew that, just didn't connect the acronyms. Silly me.

jjd
Jan 22, 2008, 04:26 PM
I mourn the 12" PowerBook. It was a popular product. It's too early to say whether the MBA will be a popular product, but it certainly seems a lot more niche to me. I can't see how it's going to sell on anything but looks.

I understand this and I wish the Airbook had a slightly smaller footprint. But, let's not get too sentimental. The 12" PB was a slow as molasses and the screen was, by today's standard's, just awful. And I think it was about the same price as an Airbook. We might have preferred a smaller screen and associated footprint for the MBA, but my gawd, 4 years ago if you had offered a 12" PB user an MBA instead: he would have grabbed it - might have missed the footprint, but not the brick-like thickness, G4 speeds, dull display (and the short batt life).

I have not yet decided whether to get an MBA - I have a bunch of Macs these days - will check it out in store this weekend :) But, I suspect the performance-robbing thinness will be hard to resist...

Question - someone mentioned the airline adaptor: will the adaptor for my MBP not work with the MBA?

rsm5068
Jan 22, 2008, 04:56 PM
Question - someone mentioned the airline adaptor: will the adaptor for my MBP not work with the MBA?

The airline adapter wont work with the MBA because of the angle that the connector forms with the surface of the MBA. That angle is almost perpendicular with the table surface and would put gigantic amounts of stress on the cable. However, Apple released a universal adapter to address that issue.

jjd
Jan 22, 2008, 04:58 PM
The airline adapter wont work with the MBA because of the angle that the connector forms with the surface of the MBA. That angle is almost perpendicular with the table surface and would put gigantic amounts of stress on the cable. However, Apple released a universal adapter to address that issue.

Hpmh. That's annoying. Ok thanks.

netdog
Jan 22, 2008, 05:14 PM
Have any 1.6 80s been prepared for shipment yet?

Anything prepared for shipment to the UK?

aiongiant
Jan 22, 2008, 05:21 PM
Have any 1.6 80s been prepared for shipment yet?

Anything prepared for shipment to the UK?

i ordered a 1.6 80gb and mine is prepared for shipment

zapp
Jan 22, 2008, 05:27 PM
i ordered a 1.6 80gb and mine is prepared for shipment
i don't know what is worse having a "not yet shipped" status like I have or a "prepared for shipment" status and it not going anywhere.

Cybergypsy
Jan 22, 2008, 05:32 PM
Somehow i do not think any shipped..........hummmmmmmmmmm

JackSYi
Jan 22, 2008, 05:36 PM
I'm also doubting any has shipped. I have a feeling Apple wants to have the MBA in the general public's hands only after 10.5.2 has been released. Which by the looks of it is going to be released around friday. Meaning they should ship sometime later this week, I'm hoping for tomorrow.

ahaxton
Jan 22, 2008, 05:47 PM
Think people are lying about the shipped status?

Anyone whose got one thats shipped post a screen!

netdog
Jan 22, 2008, 06:08 PM
Why on earth would people lie about it?