PDA

View Full Version : MB Air - No Security Slot??

Pages : [1] 2

Toe
Jan 16, 2008, 09:28 AM
Anyone at MWSF reading this? Can you go to the exhibit hall and look at the MBA and tell us if there is a Kensington Security Slot?

I do not see any mention of it on the MacBook Air tech specs page:
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

For comparison, look at the regular MacBook:
http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html
"Security — Kensington cable lock slot"

It is a little difficult for me to imagine an expensive, ultra-portable, sexy, easy-to-steal computer that has no security slot.

I know Apple was trying to economize on space, but what if you're at a coffee shop and want to go to the bathroom? You gotta take your MBA with you everywhere??

superleccy
Jan 16, 2008, 09:33 AM
Clearly, Apple think that people who can afford a MacBook Air will be wealthy enough to just go out and buy a new one if it gets stolen. :)

SL

Steven Jackson
Jan 16, 2008, 09:33 AM
I don't mean to be argumentative, but would you really leave your computer unattended in a coffee shop, lock or no lock, while you went to the toilet?

I certainly wouldn't...

Steve.

Brianstorm91
Jan 16, 2008, 09:35 AM
Still, I think that's a pretty poor mistake.
I'd definately not leave one at my desk without a lock, let alone in public places as it's intended.

telecomm
Jan 16, 2008, 09:37 AM
I think you're just meant to hide it in a manila envelope.

Toe
Jan 16, 2008, 09:49 AM
I don't mean to be argumentative, but would you really leave your computer unattended in a coffee shop, lock or no lock, while you went to the toilet?

I have been wondering about that, and I am not sure. I think it would depend on the environment in the shop at that moment. If I just gotta take a leak and there are some friendly people around, I think I might lock my MB to a table and/or a couple of chairs. It would be tremendously difficult for someone to get it in the time I'd be gone. Basically, they would have to smash the chair, or go at the cable with a big-handled cutter. I think someone would notice.

I do have my current MacBook FileVaulted and screen-saver locked, so if it gets stolen, at least my data/identity is safe. But of course I'd like for it to not get stolen.

In any event, I certainly have had cause to lock my MB. Such as when I've needed to leave it behind in a hotel room. I imagine I could try to hide the MBA, but... I'd feel better if it was tied down to something while I'm out snorkeling. :)

cogsinister
Jan 16, 2008, 09:53 AM
Does anyone even use the security slots on the side of the MB/MBP ?

I know i never have......

ray648
Jan 16, 2008, 09:57 AM
Looking at the pictures on the apple site there might be one half way down the left side.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/8352/1017/store.apple.com/Catalog/regional/emea/macbook-air/img/gallery-big-06.jpg

RichP
Jan 16, 2008, 10:24 AM
Looking at the pictures on the apple site there might be one half way down the left side.

That is the angled magsafe power socket.

ray648
Jan 16, 2008, 10:28 AM
That is the angled magsafe power socket.

I mean the little one nearer the bottom of the keyboard. It could just be a screw, but theres definately something there.

Toe
Jan 16, 2008, 10:35 AM
I mean the little one nearer the bottom of the keyboard. It could just be a screw, but theres definately something there.

Drat... got my hopes up. But it looks like that's a screw. Found this on:
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/features.html

http://images.apple.com/macbookair/images/features_gal01_20080115.jpg

mckyvlle
Jan 16, 2008, 10:03 PM

I do. Always chain my MacBook to something when I have to leave it unattended. You never know who might be eyeing it.

Justinerator
Jan 16, 2008, 10:07 PM

this made me laugh. nice :D

phungy
Jan 16, 2008, 10:11 PM

this made me laugh. nice :D

Made me laugh as well, kudos.

andiwm2003
Jan 16, 2008, 10:12 PM
the screen bezel is pretty wide. just drill a hole through it and use a cable lock.

kuebby
Jan 16, 2008, 10:23 PM
I do. Always chain my MacBook to something when I have to leave it unattended. You never know who might be eyeing it.

I bought a lock at Best Buy when they were really cheap but I've never actually used it. I just find I never leave my MacBook Pro anywhere unattended outside of my apartment.

amac4me
Jan 16, 2008, 10:34 PM
I actually called and spoke to an Apple Store rep today and he confirmed that there is no security slot. He said I was the first person he spoke to that asked that question.

I would love to have a MacBook Air but the lack of a security slot is a deal breaker for me. I take my current laptop to the office and school and have to leave it unattended at times. I do it knowing that it is locked down.

Maybe they will have it in the next model ... that's the hope but I'll probably have a newer MBP by that time because I'll be tired of waiting :rolleyes:

mckyvlle
Jan 17, 2008, 01:01 AM
I bought a lock at Best Buy when they were really cheap but I've never actually used it. I just find I never leave my MacBook Pro anywhere unattended outside of my apartment.

I work in an academic institution, in a shared office. There are times where I'm out of the office but students can still get in. I feel better if my MacBook is locked.

PeckhamBog
Jan 17, 2008, 06:16 PM
Maybe the 180 day update will include an 'ipod shuffle like clip' that you affix the mba to your shirt while you visit the rest room or go out for a lunchtime run????
It just about seems light enough, or do we have to wait for the MacBook Helium.

Seriously though. I hope a security slot is installed quickly by Apple. Otherwise it's sadly a non starter as a replacement for my ageing work PC [Compaq NC6120].

JasonBourne9
Jan 17, 2008, 06:22 PM
It's so thin and light, you can just take it with you. Tuck it in your pants or something.

jnc
Jan 17, 2008, 06:22 PM
Ok this is the first time I've even heard anyone say that they even require the slot, we must have grown up in very different places. Far as I knew that slot was just for stores that'd have machines on display, or similar. (which makes me think - how WILL these be displayed if there's no slot? Behind glass?)

Something as valuable as a Mac would never leave my sight in a public place, anyway...

PeckhamBog
Jan 17, 2008, 07:20 PM
Ok this is the first time I've even heard anyone say that they even require the slot, we must have grown up in very different places. Far as I knew that slot was just for stores that'd have machines on display, or similar. (which makes me think - how WILL these be displayed if there's no slot? Behind glass?)

Something as valuable as a Mac would never leave my sight in a public place, anyway...

I've had a notebook stolen. It was in a restricted area but accessible by the public.

I always tether my notebooks now outside of home [or at least take a cable with me in case I feel the need to].

jnc
Jan 17, 2008, 07:27 PM
I've had a notebook stolen. It was in a restricted area but accessible by the public.

I always tether my notebooks now outside of home [or at least take a cable with me in case I feel the need to].

The one public place I've ever left my MacBook unattended was on a train when I went to the WC. Between stops of course ;) usually it would always be in sight / on my person so owning a cable has never even crossed my mind.

Besides in any environment with other people (even around friends) I'd be more worried about some clumsy idiot spilling / dropping something on it... let alone having it nicked, to have it out of my sight!

aaron.lee2006
Jan 17, 2008, 09:59 PM

Nope never have. When I'm in class if I have to leave I just close it, put it into sleep mode and take it with me :)

///alpinepower
Jan 17, 2008, 10:04 PM
Anyone at MWSF reading this? Can you go to the exhibit hall and look at the MBA and tell us if there is a Kensington Security Slot?

It is a little difficult for me to imagine an expensive, ultra-portable, sexy, easy-to-steal computer that has no security slot.

I know Apple was trying to economize on space, but what if you're at a coffee shop and want to go to the bathroom? You gotta take your MBA with you everywhere??

ah, see, you don't even live in the target market's world: they are insulated from such riff raff at all times.

jnc
Jan 17, 2008, 10:19 PM
ah, see, you don't even live in the target market's world: they are insulated from such riff raff at all times.

There's a coffee machine in the limousine, sir. As well as a fine selection of slutty blonde socialites :)

PeckhamBog
Jan 18, 2008, 05:54 PM
Now the British Army has lost a notebook, that rules them out as a future corporate user of the security slotless MBA. And they were getting so excited about being re classified as the RAF.

bretm
Jan 20, 2008, 11:03 PM
I'm not sure about the MBA because it only has USB, but previous laptops could simply be booted in target disk mode and full access to every thing was then possible via FireWire. So your screenlocks are meaningless.

I have been wondering about that, and I am not sure. I think it would depend on the environment in the shop at that moment. If I just gotta take a leak and there are some friendly people around, I think I might lock my MB to a table and/or a couple of chairs. It would be tremendously difficult for someone to get it in the time I'd be gone. Basically, they would have to smash the chair, or go at the cable with a big-handled cutter. I think someone would notice.

I do have my current MacBook FileVaulted and screen-saver locked, so if it gets stolen, at least my data/identity is safe. But of course I'd like for it to not get stolen.

In any event, I certainly have had cause to lock my MB. Such as when I've needed to leave it behind in a hotel room. I imagine I could try to hide the MBA, but... I'd feel better if it was tied down to something while I'm out snorkeling. :)

Nugget
Jan 20, 2008, 11:05 PM

Wow, you mean people actually use those things? I had no idea. Seriously, I've never used the security slot on a laptop. I don't know anyone who has ever used the security slot on their laptop. I've never even seen a stranger use the security slot on their laptop.

iVoid
Jan 20, 2008, 11:11 PM
I'm not sure about the MBA because it only has USB, but previous laptops could simply be booted in target disk mode and full access to every thing was then possible via FireWire. So your screenlocks are meaningless.

Did you miss him mention Filevault? Just getting access to the boot volume will not get someone into the filevault.

As far as I know, there's no crack/backdoor for Filevault/encrypted disk images, so the data should be safe (as long as you use a good password that can't be easily cracked and is not on a sticky note on the bottom of the MPA :) ).

Silentwave
Jan 20, 2008, 11:12 PM
I'll join the ranks of 'it doesn't matter to me'. I've never used a security slot, and have seen maybe one or two people who have...ever. Even now at college. Frankly, given the fact that quite a few of the locks can be easily defeated in under a minute, the peace of mind for me is nonexistent. My dorm is as secure as I could hope for. That is the only place I ever leave it unattended.

WildCowboy
Jan 20, 2008, 11:13 PM
Rather disappointing that this isn't included. My PowerBook spends probably 80% of its time cabled up by its security slot on my desk at work. With 1000 people in the building, any of whom could walk right up to my desk at any point (not to mention that we have had a few thefts), I'm paranoid about keeping my laptops locked down.

An Apple rep and I talked at MWSF about this and the idea of being able to take it anywhere, but I really don't want to have to take it to the bathroom with me. I might try to slide it into the seat cover dispenser for a moment and lose it in there.

Mr. Zorg
Jan 20, 2008, 11:13 PM
Ooh, ooh. New business opportunity, I claim dibs. Send me your MacBook Air and for a mere $25 + shipping I'll add a lock slot for you. :)

anirban
Jan 20, 2008, 11:16 PM
Everyone who owns a MBP/MB in my college uses the security slot to lock their laptops down in the dorms. I would consider students to be careless if they did not do so...

zync
Jan 20, 2008, 11:24 PM
Everyone who owns a MBP/MB in my college uses the security slot to lock their laptops down in the dorms. I would consider students to be careless if they did not do so...

Really? I would consider a new school. If you have to chain something down where you live, you shouldn't be living there. :D

DMann
Jan 20, 2008, 11:25 PM
It's so thin and light, you can just take it with you. Tuck it in your pants or something.

I'm still waiting for the security slot for my iPhone.................. I'm really uneasy about leaving it on the table while going to a pay phone to make a call.

Coolnat2004
Jan 20, 2008, 11:31 PM
I'm still waiting for the security slot for my iPhone.................. I'm really uneasy about leaving it on the table while going to a pay phone to make a call.

TAKE THAT AT&T!! :p

zync
Jan 20, 2008, 11:38 PM
TAKE THAT AT&T!! :p

If you lived anywhere in my state, you'd be pretty well off with AT&T these days. Unless, of course, you're in my office. There's a close tower in that area that is CDMA and the building is brick. Right outside it's wonderful. Don't they sell repeaters that you can put on external surfaces to get signals inside? That's my sole problem with AT&T. It wouldn't suck if it didn't drain the battery when I forget to turn my phone off. Of course, I have my own phone at my desk, so it's not a huge issue—I just have to remember the numbers if I need to call anyone, or turn my phone back on.

It does, however, work quite well in the front half of the office, where there are more windows. Above my section, is a movie theater. I'm about 30'-40' in from any angle. It's a veritable Faraday cage.

ilflyya
Jan 20, 2008, 11:47 PM

I had a guy who worked for me get his notebook stolen when he got up from his desk and run to the bathroom. Funny thing was, he thought I should be the one responsible for getting it back for him. Thought if he had one of those chain things it would have helped, but I used to chain my bike up too. I don't anymore because it got stolen...while it was chained!

mattpippen
Jan 20, 2008, 11:49 PM
Not that I actually use the slot, but I do think it was a bad idea not to include it.

I first heard about this on a podcast (http://billyhime.tv/2008/01/15/ml36/).

DMann
Jan 20, 2008, 11:51 PM
I share an office with a colleague and when I bring my mac to the office, it goes with me when I leave, or I put it in my apt close by. (I work at a universtiy). I never let it leave my sight. That's just me though. Had a guy who worked for me get his notebook stolen when he got up from his desk and run to the bathroom. Funny thing was, he thought I should be the one responsible for getting it back for him. Thought if he had one of those chain things it would have helped, but I used to chain my bike up too. I don't anymore because it got stolen...while it was chained!

And there lies the point..... if someone wants your air enough, they'll snap the cable before you can blink twice......... take it with you, or file it away in the file cabinet..... most of them have a lock.

Swagfndr
Jan 20, 2008, 11:54 PM
I travel 200+ days per year and I lock mine up in the hotel when ever I can't take it with me to the show site. I also have a place to lock it to my workbox under the stage so that if I run to catering or the head I don't have to take it with me. Most of the people I work with are honest, but it only take one. I know that they can be easily defeated, but they will keep the semi-honest people honest, but a true thief will get what they want no matter what. But I at least don't want to make it easy for them.

As a side note, at most shows there are probably 5-10 computers in the underworld (under the stage during the show) and I would say that 80%+ are macs.

ryanw
Jan 20, 2008, 11:58 PM

I certainly wouldn't...

Steve.

Yikes ... this is a real problem!

Leaving your laptop unattended in a coffee shop isn't the problem. The problem is in corporate america (the rich man or woman who this "thin" laptop is appealing to) are required to lock their laptops up at their desks these days. I have PERSONALLY seen a laptop walk from my desk in a large fortune 500 company. Be it people from the mail room, or cleaning crew, who knows, but people do steal things from offices regularly. I would think your machine is potentially safer being unattended at a coffee shop than a large company where turn over for "lesser paid jobs" is higher... not really, but you get my point.

joelmejiaganan
Jan 21, 2008, 12:03 AM
where are they?

WildCowboy
Jan 21, 2008, 12:06 AM
where are they?

One speaker under the right side of the keyboard...mono only.

brooker
Jan 21, 2008, 12:08 AM
I don't lock my laptop down when i leave it. this happens fairly often, as i regularly work from the public library, and need to get up from the table to use the restroom, or make a phone call. Rather than locking it, i awkwardly arange my belongings around it: throw my fleece coat over it, leave an empty cup right in the middle of the keyboard, or buckle my bag strap around hte whole table, with my powerbook closed underneath the strap. My theory is that if there is something a little odd about it (rather than it looking like someone just got up) then a potential thief will pass it by. It's worked so far (knock wood).

That said, i am surprised that the MBA doesn't include it. I agree with the above poster: something designed to be so portable and good looking should have a way the owner can decide when it exercises those attributes. I guess you could use a solution akin to what i do, and make it ugly (temporarily?).

Actually, come to think of it, I take it back. No special security slot needed! There are USB solutions.

Since the MBA has that one mighty usb port, why not overload it with one more duty?

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5L013-Laptop-Security-Alarm/dp/B000RPVHDC

Sure, you can't walk away while burning downloaded movies onto your external drive, but generally speaking, this should suffice for all those "deal-breaker" people out there. price is comprable to a lot of cable solutions, but it's a lot more flexible (npi).

Maybe this is why Apple didn't bother adding a slot?

quantumbits
Jan 21, 2008, 12:14 AM
That's a pretty short-sighted omission. I use my cable all of the time. Is it fool proof? No. However, it only needs to be more secure than the next laptop.

But hey, we've already collectively (and correctly) identified the thing as a fashion accessory/appliance instead of a laptop. A security slot is SO yesterday...you know, like optical media, user replaceable batteries and memory slots. :rolleyes:

Iroganai
Jan 21, 2008, 12:14 AM
I have PERSONALLY seen a laptop walk from my desk in a large fortune 500 company. Be it people from the mail room, or cleaning crew, who knows, but people do steal things from offices regularly. I would think your machine is potentially safer being unattended at a coffee shop than a large company where turn over for "lesser paid jobs" is higher... not really, but you get my point.
Is it that bad ? I recently moved in to the States but I might have been lucky not to have mine stolen. (I'm not working in a large fortune 500 company though, unfortunately :p ) Maybe I should consider chaining it.

DMann
Jan 21, 2008, 12:34 AM
That's a pretty short-sighted omission. I use my cable all of the time. Is it fool proof? No. However, it only needs to be more secure than the next laptop.

But hey, we've already collectively (and correctly) identified the thing as a fashion accessory/appliance instead of a laptop. A security slot is SO yesterday...you know, like optical media, user replaceable batteries and memory slots. :rolleyes:

the battery in the air is user replaceable - takes a phillips head to do so. No one seems to mind that the iPhone has no security slot. The air is light enough to carry in a small case and keep with you at all times - this is probably the reason why Apple opted not to include one. Besides - including one would have taken business away from third party companies who install such features.

kainjow
Jan 21, 2008, 12:38 AM
Didn't you guys know? They replaced it with a wireless lock ;)

DMann
Jan 21, 2008, 12:42 AM

True! And furthermore, most Fortune 500 corporations have security cameras, many which are also wireless.

samh004
Jan 21, 2008, 12:50 AM

I locked mine up in my apartment during the day in NZ. Sure, I had insurance so if anyone burgled me I could claim it back, but that wouldn't help me with all the lost files and lack of computer.

I plan to lock my MB up during the day in my room when at uni, if it's not with me.

I can't believe Apple couldn't have included a security slot in the MBA, but I guess it's just one of those things you overlook, like FW800 on the 15" MBP, they got it back in there very fast. I don't doubt the security slot will make an appearance come rev. b.

DTphonehome
Jan 21, 2008, 01:04 AM
Jeez, why is this an issue? Just have your butler watch it for you.

DMann
Jan 21, 2008, 01:27 AM
Jeez, why is this an issue? Just have your butler watch it for you.

Be sure not to overlook his bonus on holidays.............. inside jobs are on the rise.

naroola
Jan 21, 2008, 01:31 AM
What's the big deal? You know Apple will release a revolutionary new companion product called "iLock" for the Macbook Air... only $99. It will be the smallest, lightest but most powerful lock for the MBA, and... it will run OSX. ;)

MacFly123
Jan 21, 2008, 02:25 AM
That kind of sucks. I also noticed that it does NOT have the Apple Remote, which I think would be pretty annoying since it is catered toward on the go people and business people that would want that for Keynote Presentations. :(

MacFly123
Jan 21, 2008, 02:33 AM
Nope never have. When I'm in class if I have to leave I just close it, put it into sleep mode and take it with me :)

Me too. I would NEVER leave mine alone even for a second. But I can understand that people would want and need that at times.

musicpenguy
Jan 21, 2008, 02:35 AM
Didn't you know - a hidden feature is that in sleep mode it electricutes anyone who doesn't have your fingerprints !

Just Kidding

I am curious how Apple will display these in the store - if the Apple Employees will now have to look after these vary carefully or something

xXriderXx7
Jan 21, 2008, 02:36 AM
They didnt need to include a security slot because you are meant to carry around your Air in a manilla envelope, and nobody would suspect a laptop being encased in one.

djgamble
Jan 21, 2008, 02:37 AM
I personally have a MBP and use the security slot every day as I work at a university and my MBP is my main computer; whether it's in my office, in a lecture room or somewhere else I often have times where I just want to leave it on a desk. I actually tie it down at home as well because it's so easy to steal if someone breaks into my house.

When I was a uni student my G5 iMac had a security chain as well. I lived in a dorm and had the thing chained to my table.

With Apple's convenient designs I think people can steal machines more easily, no one thinks anything of a person walking through the corridor with a laptop or an iMac in their hands. A big PC tower however... people tend to wonder where you're going with it.

These comments about people tucking a MacBook Air into their pants are quite serious, all I'd have to do is leave a MacBook Air out the front of a lecture room and I'm quite sure if I left my eyes off it for 2 seconds someone could steal it and have it concealed very easily… and they're not cheap either! My MBP cost less than a MacBook Air, and it's a "pro" machine!

jnc
Jan 21, 2008, 03:31 AM
What if someone just spilt coffee or dropped a heavy book on your MacBook while it was unattended? (Accidentally or out of spite :p)

With thought patterns like that, you can see why I never ever leave my MacBook alone, be it locked or not. :D Hell, if your hands are occupied you could easily carry the MBA under your arm, or with your chin... or yes, as suggested, down your pants :D

diehldun
Jan 21, 2008, 03:37 AM

I completely agree with you, and am actually surprised by others who find it ridiculous or pointless to lock their MBPs/MBs whilst in college. Whenever my MBP is in my room, automatically the FIRST thing I do when I enter is lock it. I also activate iAlertU when I'm off to the bathroom. One room down the hall got broken into a few weeks ago, and an unknown intruder tried to wrench-away the lock from his MBP; it didn't work, and although the owner later had to send it in to repair the damaged casing, it did not get stolen. This is a $50,000+ per year institution, and I really don't think switching schools would make a difference; it's college and there are unfortunately both good and bad folks around. Call me paranoid, but I'm not willing to risk loosing both a $3000 investment, as well as all my data, essays, etc., FileVault or not.

Quite frankly, many of my classmates/friends who are currently interested in the MacBook Air (somehow it's still wierd for me to write 'MBA') probably will stop considering it once they find out the missing security slot; they ALL have locks on their MBPs/MBs, believe it or not, even the "Paris Hilton" types. Unless Apple rectifies this relatively-simple issue, it is highly unlikely I will ever consider purchasing one in the near future. It is that serious of an omission on Apple's part, coming from a college student's perspective, which I would imagine is quite a large market.

moominuk
Jan 21, 2008, 03:43 AM
there are far too many ways to get rid of the lock, its a waste of time, so I have never used one.
Ive seen all sorts of methods, such as this one using a toilet roll:
http://www.toool.nl/kensington623.wmv
(sorry about the wmv!)

Also, if you really want to steal the laptop, it just takes some wire cutters.

I never leave the laptop lying around with people I dont trust. An expensive laptop left alone in a room full of people you dont trust is never a good idea.

What you need is your data encrypted, you machine not set to automatically login, good data backups and insurance. IF your laptop gets stolen, get it replaced and put your data back, sorted!

ryanw
Jan 21, 2008, 03:51 AM
Didn't you know - a hidden feature is that in sleep mode it electricutes anyone who doesn't have your fingerprints !

Just Kidding

I am curious how Apple will display these in the store - if the Apple Employees will now have to look after these vary carefully or something

Dude, awesome point! If this was an oversight, I think they'll realize something is wrong once they go to put these things on display. All the macbook pro's are security locked up along with all the other macs there.

Interesting...

Jiddick ExRex
Jan 21, 2008, 03:55 AM

LOL. That actually made me laugh out loud.

Not that I actually use the slot, but I do think it was a bad idea not to include it.

I first heard about this on a podcast (http://billyhime.tv/2008/01/15/ml36/).

I would never use said lock because a) I am too paranoid about my mac and bring it with me anywhere., b) it takes a small wire-cutter to do the job of any easily transportable lightweight lock like the Kensington.

Anyways, for academics working in an office that usually never close it's a must if they do not have a good lock on the door.

ryanw
Jan 21, 2008, 04:03 AM
there are far too many ways to get rid of the lock, its a waste of time, so I have never used one.
(sorry about the wmv!)

I never leave the laptop lying around with people I dont trust. An expensive laptop left alone in a room full of people you dont trust is never a good idea.

What you need is your data encrypted, you machine not set to automatically login, good data backups and insurance. IF your laptop gets stolen, get it replaced and put your data back, sorted!

Locks keep the not-so-serious thieves at bay. If someone was a "serious thief" they'd just walk up to you and say, "give me your laptop" while wearing a mask or something. I'm sure 90% of the people would hand over their laptop even in a crowd because they wouldn't want to find out if the guy had a gun or knife or something.

I heard about people getting jumped on the street and get their iPods stolen. Locks generally discourage thieves enough to have them look for someone who isn't using one. Their thoughts are that there are enough people who don't use a lock, why risk taking the one with the lock?

6mt15
Jan 21, 2008, 04:16 AM
I've never used a lock, but many of my friends have them. I've left my MB alone at university's library countless times, and never had a problem. If I'm not with friends, I just ask whoever is sitting near me to keep an eye on it. I'm sure many people feel it is a necessity, but where would it go?? I've never seen a laptop lock that was less than half an inch thick, and usually about an inch long, to accomodate the combo or key hole. that means if you tried to put one on the side of an MBA, it would lift the whole machine off the desk. A design flaw in the locks that will have to be fixed before apple solves this complaint.

Am3822
Jan 21, 2008, 04:51 AM
What's the big deal? You know Apple will release a revolutionary new companion product called "iLock" for the Macbook Air... only $99. It will be the smallest, lightest but most powerful lock for the MBA, and... it will run OSX. ;)

Well, there is the stuff from orbicule (http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/), but I do agree that not including anti-theft devices is a problem, especially since the thing is so lightweight and small.

mdtsuk
Jan 21, 2008, 05:00 AM
Locks keep the not-so-serious thieves at bay. If someone was a "serious thief" they'd just walk up to you and say, "give me your laptop" while wearing a mask or something. I'm sure 90% of the people would hand over their laptop even in a crowd because they wouldn't want to find out if the guy had a gun or knife or something.

I heard about people getting jumped on the street and get their iPods stolen. Locks generally discourage thieves enough to have them look for someone who isn't using one. Their thoughts are that there are enough people who don't use a lock, why risk taking the one with the lock?

I agree entirely, I lock my laptop to my desk when left overnight (as I don't want to carry is everywhere I go, no matter how light), as does everyone in the investment bank I work at. Cleaners that are not generally thieves could be tested if there is nothing stopping them from simply lifting an expensive lightweight laptop off a desk.

True! And furthermore, most Fortune 500 corporations have security cameras, many which are also wireless.

Cameras are usually in entrances and lobby's. you won't spot a .76 inch thin laptop in someones bag!

Seems like an oversight by Apple, such a simple facility to include, and likely to put off corporate workers/executives who actually know this before buying.

wongulous
Jan 21, 2008, 05:22 AM
Never once have I felt safe enough to leave my laptop, locked or otherwise, alone in a potentially-publicly-accessible area. I mean, I'll put it in my messenger bag that just looks like a manpurse and leave that with my lunch while I run to the bathroom at Panera, but not if there's only like one person around. I figure if nobody's around it's probably safe, and if it's really busy, it's probably safe... but anyway, with great passwords, a security program, openfirmware password, and an encrypted disk, plus a registered serial, somebody'd have to rip it apart and take out the HDD and still never be able to exercise the warranty or anything.. and if they turned it on before doing that, they'd be caught red-handed (red-faced? iChat-faced?).

GekkePrutser
Jan 21, 2008, 05:32 AM

Leaving your laptop unattended in a coffee shop isn't the problem. The problem is in corporate america (the rich man or woman who this "thin" laptop is appealing to) are required to lock their laptops up at their desks these days. I have PERSONALLY seen a laptop walk from my desk in a large fortune 500 company.

Not just in America. When I was working at a large telecom company in Holland in 2000, one of my colleagues had one taken from his desk during lunchtime - he just managed to catch a glimpse of the guy leaving through the stairwell. They tried to look for the guy but in a building with 2500 people it's easy to disappear..

Anyway, even back then we were provided with kensington locks to lock our laptops into our docking stations. The guy who had it stolen was one of the few who didn't use it. It's a shame but in today's world an office is not a safe place anymore.

If Apple are targeting these at corporate users, they should really provide one. But then again, they should also have provided ethernet. But seriously, which large corporation uses Apple laptops on a large scale? I think you'd be hard pressed trying to even find one that would support Mac OS X as a corporate desktop OS.

By the way, I think the lack of a security slot is due to the thinness of the MBA. Kensington-style locks are usually very bulky and I don't think there would be a place that would be thick enough to accommodate one. The laptop would be hanging off the lock because the lock would be a lot thicker. Edit: Sorry, 6mt15 made this point as well, didn't see it before I posted.

ArtOfWarfare
Jan 21, 2008, 06:35 AM
Those cables never struck me as being very secure...

I mean, what if the person who wants to take the laptop has a wielding torch or BFG? Heck, I'm sure you can just yank on it and it would come right out.

But if you're really concerned... I'd say use a bike chain or something and just wrap it around a bunch of times on the joint of the laptop and to whatever anchor point you want.

mckyvlle
Jan 21, 2008, 06:44 AM
Yes, the Kensington locks probably isn't the most secure way to lock down a portable Mac. That said, and oft repeated in this thread is that the lock is meant to deter casual/opportunistic thieves. If you're in a college or some place where backpacks are norm, it's very easy for a thief to swipe a laptop and hide it in a backpack :/

My college recommends locking a laptop to the desk at all times. Then if the laptop is to be left alone for extended periods of time, eg lunch or overnight, then it has to be locked inside a drawer or cabinet.

Heck, I'm sure you can just yank on it and it would come right out.

If it's yanked out, I'm quite sure the plastic/metal surrounding the lock will be damaged. No good for the thief trying to sell the laptop, as it would alert a buyer that the good is 'hot'.

cmendill
Jan 21, 2008, 06:56 AM

Yeah, doesn't it fit inside that little pocket within your normal sized pocket. I always wondered what the pocket was for...

xUKHCx
Jan 21, 2008, 07:01 AM
Yeah, doesn't it fit inside that little pocket within your normal sized pocket. I always wondered what the pocket was for...

I use it to store my usb thumb drive and sometimes coins

According to steve, iPod nano.

http://presentationzen.blogs.com/presentationzen/images/picture18.jpg

http://www.cnet.com.au/i/r/2005/mp3/jobsnano440x330.jpg

andyone
Jan 21, 2008, 07:45 AM
As far as I know, there's no crack/backdoor for Filevault/encrypted disk images, so the data should be safe (as long as you use a good password that can't be easily cracked and is not on a sticky note on the bottom of the MPA :) ).

Actually there are several ways someone could "crack" a FileVault. The very least thing you should do is activate encrypted virtual memory (because your login password can end up in the virtual memory and is very easy to find there) and deactivate safe sleep (because it writes all the memory contents to the disk). But as far as I know, even if you disable safe sleep it will be used automatically when your battery runs empty (maybe someone can clarify that point?).

flyinmac
Jan 21, 2008, 07:49 AM

Doesn't need a security slot. Who'd want it?

I don't think you'd have as many people trying to grab it.

Besides, now that it's got a tapered case, you can just stand it on end on the toilet paper dispenser and have it lean against the stall's wall.

If that doesn't work, just take the thin edge, and wedge it in the crack in the stalls door. That will take care of two problems since it will also help to secure the door closed if the latch isn't working on the stall :p

krye
Jan 21, 2008, 08:06 AM
No sorry, I would never ever leave a laptop unattended in a public place. It's coming to the bathroom with me. My stuff and my coffee can hold my table.

Remember, if a thief wants your $2000 laptop, that $20 stupid little cable you attach to it won't mean squat. Sure, it's a deterent, but then again, wasn't "The Club" one too?

RedTomato
Jan 21, 2008, 08:11 AM
I have the kensington lock too. Haven't used it as much I thought I would, but it comes in useful sometimes.

When I've gone to coffeeshops with either a macbook or ibook or powerbook, I don't usually take the lock. I just never ever leave my laptop unattended. It comes with me to the toilet (in my bag), or the counter or whereever.

When at the library, if in a heavy study session, I do sometimes lock it as if I'm concentrating on several books, I feel someone could lift it and walk off without me noticing.

In hotel rooms, I prefer to take my laptop out with me, or if not possible, hide it on top of wardrobes / under a pile of clothes in the wardrobe or all the way under the bed. (locked if possible, but its more important to hide it well.)

At work, we sometimes run a stall at various shows, and we ALWAYS use the lock, as even with staff running the stall, if staff are talking to a client, someone could use the distraction to walk off with the laptop.

In my opinion, a 3 quid wire cutter that fits in your pocket could cut through the lock cable in a couple of seconds, but the value of the lock is that most people don't carry one. For the people that do carry one, it gives us a valuable couple of seconds extra to notice that someone's trying to steal it.

The kensington lock won't stop it being stolen while unattended, but it works well in stopping someone lifting it and running off from under your nose.

GekkePrutser
Jan 21, 2008, 08:15 AM
But as far as I know, even if you disable safe sleep it will be used automatically when your battery runs empty (maybe someone can clarify that point?).

No, when safe sleep is disabled it won't run at all. Safe sleep never wakes up the computer when the battery is about to run out, it just makes an image to disk every time you go to standby (that's why it takes longer to start flashing). If the battery is still good when you open it up again, it will resume from RAM. If the battery went dead (or was removed), it will resume from the disk image.

So turning safe sleep off should stop it completely.

iconboy
Jan 21, 2008, 08:18 AM
lol
i dont think anyone is gunna be stealing this underpowered excuse of a laptop :P

bigmc6000
Jan 21, 2008, 08:26 AM

Leaving your laptop unattended in a coffee shop isn't the problem. The problem is in corporate america (the rich man or woman who this "thin" laptop is appealing to) are required to lock their laptops up at their desks these days. I have PERSONALLY seen a laptop walk from my desk in a large fortune 500 company. Be it people from the mail room, or cleaning crew, who knows, but people do steal things from offices regularly. I would think your machine is potentially safer being unattended at a coffee shop than a large company where turn over for "lesser paid jobs" is higher... not really, but you get my point.

I have NEVER seen anyone lock a laptop and the last place I worked had over 13,000 employees. My current location has about 100 and there are dozens of laptops and NO ONE ever locks theirs up. I wonder tho - why don't you take it home with you? Most of the people I know who need laptops for their job need laptops for a reason - they need to have it with them. Do you just have a laptop because your boss doesn't realize that you'd be perfectly well off with an iMac?

slinky0390
Jan 21, 2008, 08:33 AM
i hate to be a buzz kill or anything, but if someone really wants your laptop, lock or no lock, they're going to take it.. i had my ipod stolen out of a locker that someone broke into with a screw driver.

Braz0s
Jan 21, 2008, 08:37 AM
My company (60k employees world wide) have a policy mandating security cables on all laptops and in some parts of the world on desktops, monitors etc. I believe they still lose a dozen a year - mostly from car rentals, while traveling.

They do not stop a determined thief but will stop the casual opportunistic one.

Apple could have had a issue finding a hard point inside the case to anchor to. Plastic won't do.

Of course Kensington usually includes a large metal mating plate that can be epoxied on the exterior. I'm sure Steve would love that :).

bigmc6000
Jan 21, 2008, 08:43 AM
My company (60k employees world wide) have a policy mandating security cables on all laptops and in some parts of the world on desktops, monitors etc. I believe they still lose a dozen a year - mostly from car rentals, while traveling.

They do not stop a determined thief but will stop the casual opportunistic one.

Apple could have had a issue finding a hard point inside the case to anchor to. Plastic won't do.

Of course Kensington usually includes a large metal mating plate that can be epoxied on the exterior. I'm sure Steve would love that :).

A hard point? Did you miss the part where it's anodized aluminum? Finding a hard point is no issue at all. As for the company you work for I guess it's just a company to company decision because my current employer has about 215k worldwide employees and my previous employer was around 130k and there were no such policy regarding laptops.

azentropy
Jan 21, 2008, 09:16 AM
A hard point? Did you miss the part where it's anodized aluminum? Finding a hard point is no issue at all. As for the company you work for I guess it's just a company to company decision because my current employer has about 215k worldwide employees and my previous employer was around 130k and there were no such policy regarding laptops.

Wow, I guess neither company has never been through an outside security or even worse a SOX audit! Lucky you!

PruneTracy
Jan 21, 2008, 09:45 AM

I think they'll just put one of those sticky cord things on it attached to the bottom, attached to the tables. either that, or deal with a usb lock and have alarms going off every 5 minutes as some stupid 15 year old kid unplugs it and bolts. I made that mistake once at a circuit city. it had a lock and a usb thing-- so i unplugged it to show my girlfriend all the ports on this one laptop. WOOOWOOOWOOO and i have a half dozen security guards on me and the whole store staring at me. good times....

bigmc6000
Jan 21, 2008, 10:11 AM
Wow, I guess neither company has never been through an outside security or even worse a SOX audit! Lucky you!

Both are huge government contractors so I'm sure there has been plenty of security audits. Of course to get in to the building you need clearance so maybe that's the issue. We screen all our employees and even the janitors need to have security clearance to work there.

MrCrowbar
Jan 21, 2008, 10:43 AM
Looking at the Gallery (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/15/first-look-at-the-macbook-air/) of the MAcbook Air Display on Macworld, I can't see any kensington loc receptacle or cable.

When you think about it, this is THE wireless computer, so my guess is the Kensinton lock is wireless too. :D

xUKHCx
Jan 21, 2008, 10:44 AM
Looking at the Gallery (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/15/first-look-at-the-macbook-air/) of the MAcbook Air Display on Macworld, I can't see any kensington loc receptacle or cable.

When you think about it, this is THE wireless computer, so my guess is the Kensinton lock is wireless too. :D

Sorry, 10 hours too late

MrCrowbar
Jan 21, 2008, 10:50 AM
Sorry, 10 hours too late

Damn you, time zones. :p

unsaltedrhino
Jan 21, 2008, 11:54 AM
Pretty sure USB solutions exist?

kkat69
Jan 21, 2008, 12:10 PM
Both are huge government contractors so I'm sure there has been plenty of security audits. Of course to get in to the building you need clearance so maybe that's the issue. We screen all our employees and even the janitors need to have security clearance to work there.

Same with my previous emplorer. Huge govt contractor, hell I'll say the name "Lockheed Martin" and we had no "Kensington Security Policy" and well over half the emps at the site I worked at had laptops. NONE of which were tethered nor required tethering.

This lock deters the "opportunist" thief as someone described above. And if your laptop is stolen by an opportunist you probably (PROBABLY) did something irrisponsible or have ADD and can't handle having an expensive piece of hardware.

The REAL thiefs will cut through that tether quicker than you think. Even a novice thief can. Simple trip to home depot or lowes and he can rake in the bucks with stolen laptops.

I'm not arguing that this needs it as well as any other laptop but the thing hasn't shipped and probably will go through a minor design change since basically what we saw and what others have seen or have gotten for demo's was/is a limited production.

If you pay 1700-3000 bucks for something, you just don't walk away from it. If you do, would you mind leaving your keys in your car and your car unlocked for me? If I were a thief, if I couldn't steal your laptop cuz you left it laying around tempting me to steal it, I'd just smash the screen as a "Take that then" All the more reason to lock it up (when indoors) or take it with you to the *****ter when in public.

If a company has issues of machines being stolen so often then they've got other/bigger security issues than the machines. Sounds like a company that just doesn't care who comes or goes or "hmm did that guy come in with 20 laptops? oh well"

notsofatjames
Jan 21, 2008, 01:10 PM
ive never fully understood the concept. so you connect the cable to the laptop, and then loop the other end around the desk or chair or what not? If they want the laptop, break the table leg, and un-hoop the cable-lock. Hell, steal the entire table.

If your company issues you with a laptop, it generally means you need to take it with you, otherwise you sign on to a desktop terminal (the company I work for chain the computers that are in public places to the floor, not the ones in secure areas though). So why lock it to an office desk overnight. Take it home and tuck it in the bed next to you. And how many large corporations use macs.... really? I think some departments in the BBC do (i've seen macs and ACDs when they do behind the scenes shoots), but thats the only company that i can think of. I've never seen a lock being used. Though i dont see the harm in including one. Has anyone got a photo of the inside of a macbook/pro, near where the slot is?

Edit: found this pic on ifixit http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/86/images_large/69.jpg
i think the slot is right at the bottom of the pic, next to the red circle. It doesnt look that big.

skyrider007
Jan 21, 2008, 01:26 PM
i Has anyone got a photo of the inside of a macbook/pro, near where the slot is?

In the MBP it's near the SuperDrive edge to the top right.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/85/images_large/12.jpg

hockeysc23
Jan 21, 2008, 01:26 PM
I have had several laptops but never used the cable for securing. A laptop should remain with you if you are worried about it being stolen. Whats the hassel in taking with you to the bathroom or around the coffee shop. Id rather do that then leave a beautiful MBA open to everyone.

gorbie
Jan 21, 2008, 01:30 PM
what about iAlertU? simple security application that you lock you laptop with your apple remote, if you buy one as an optional extra. once activated it gets set off by, keyboard, removing power-cord, teackpad closing the lid or even motion (if MBA has motion sensors.) it then takes a picture using isight and emails it to you.
http://slappingturtle.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=14&Itemid=58

also try Orbicule Undercover. this ones a subscription once installed and activated you can contact the company in event of it being stolen and they arm the software remotely once the thief connects to any wireless network. they then start a series of procedures to try and locate your mac using with the aid of your local authorities. they already have a recovery record. check it out
http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/

telecomm
Jan 21, 2008, 01:56 PM
Wow, some people are really getting worked up about this.:D

I work in a large office with both Macs and PCs, and I use a Kensington lock everyday with my laptop.

Sure, I could take it with me everywhere I went during the office, but if you carried your laptop with you every time you went to the toilet, got a coffee, or went for lunch you'd look pretty ridiculous, or quickly become known as "the laptop guy".

My desk is in an fairly open area, but there's a fair bit of activity, and someone quickly stopping by the desk of another wouldn't merit much attention. Someone fumbling with a lock probably would.

ckelley
Jan 21, 2008, 02:27 PM

Been there, done that...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/75/230144406_c641c08972.jpg?v=0 (http://flickr.com/photos/ckelley/230144406/)

(Ok, so it was my friend... but it was MY MacBook...)

diehldun
Jan 21, 2008, 02:32 PM
I think we're focusing far too much on corporate: almost every college student I know uses a Kensington lock for their MBP/MB. This could (potentially) shut out a very large potential group.

quantumbits
Jan 21, 2008, 03:08 PM
ive never fully understood the concept. so you connect the cable to the laptop, and then loop the other end around the desk or chair or what not? If they want the laptop, break the table leg, and un-hoop the cable-lock. Hell, steal the entire table.

...and then they draw the collective attention of everyone in the coffee shop, library, etc.

Its a strawman argument. No, the lock doesn't provide 100% security from theft. Trusting your laptop to a wire lock in an open, but fairly isolated area is a dumb idea. But it is an effective deterrent in a number of public settings, including those I mentioned above. IOW, locations with a number of other people around, many of whom would certainly take notice of someone smashing a chair, table leg, etc.

chubad
Jan 21, 2008, 03:23 PM
I actually called and spoke to an Apple Store rep today and he confirmed that there is no security slot. He said I was the first person he spoke to that asked that question.

I would love to have a MacBook Air but the lack of a security slot is a deal breaker for me. I take my current laptop to the office and school and have to leave it unattended at times. I do it knowing that it is locked down.

Maybe they will have it in the next model ... that's the hope but I'll probably have a newer MBP by that time because I'll be tired of waiting :rolleyes:

Where do you work. I'll bring my wire cutter. Seriously laptop locks are a joke. One snip with a good wire cutter and its gone. I would never leave a laptop unattended anywhere. Your just asking for it to disappear.

RedTomato
Jan 21, 2008, 03:32 PM
Pretty much any car can be broken into in 20 seconds.

When my dad lost his keys at a music festival, I saw the repair man open his old locked up Volvo car in 5 seconds with a special tyre iron with not a scratch on anywhere.

Last year I rented a car in Florida, a brand new car with 5 miles on the clock. I forgot exactly what car it was but it was the new 2007 Dodge or Chrysler or something like that. One day I stupidly locked the keys in the boot.

The repair man used a small rubber wedge to open the locked the car door in about 8 seconds (that's progress for you), again without a scratch.

That said, would I still bother locking my car doors? Of course I would. It wouldn't stop a determined tea-leaf, but these few extra seconds, and needing a bit of extra equipment, cuts out a lot of people and a lot of theft opportunities.

Same for the Kensington cable slot.

mac 2005
Jan 21, 2008, 03:41 PM
I can't imagine this lock being much of a deterrent. A lock is only as strong as its weakest component; I imagine a few twists of the locking mechanism would snap it from the laptop housing.

mac 2005
Jan 21, 2008, 03:43 PM
lol
i dont think anyone is gunna be stealing this underpowered excuse of a laptop :P

Sure they will. Here in Chicago, they'd steal the plaque from your teeth if you stood still long enough.

Toe
Jan 21, 2008, 03:52 PM
(sorry about the wmv!)

I just tried this on my Kensington lock and could not get it to work. The roll fits the lock, but I can see that I would have to add extra components to the pick to get it to work.

I don't know lock mechanics or lockpicking, so I don't know how easy it is to construct a pick for that sort of lock, but it certainly doesn't seem to be as easy as the video shows.

Can anyone pick their Kensington lock with a toilet paper roll?

I'm pretty sure the point here is that the cable is strong enough that a small pair of wire-cutters won't cut it. You need ones with a big handle, and that will draw attention in a coffee shop. :)

I'm pretty sure it's the same with bikes. Any bike lock can be cut with the right cutter, but the cutters themselves are big and difficult to conceal.

snej
Jan 21, 2008, 04:58 PM
Looking at the physical requirements of the Kensington Lock (19mm diameter of the lock, a flat part of the case to lock against, 7mm space into the device) I wonder if such a place exist on the Macbook Air, and if it exist, if it's not on the bottom of the notebook, making the lock a bit impractical.

crazy legs
Jan 21, 2008, 05:07 PM
Maybe its so thin with the lock it could some how damage the casing just a thought

koobcamuk
Jan 21, 2008, 05:22 PM
I have NEVER seen anyone lock a laptop and the last place I worked had over 13,000 employees. My current location has about 100 and there are dozens of laptops and NO ONE ever locks theirs up. I wonder tho - why don't you take it home with you? Most of the people I know who need laptops for their job need laptops for a reason - they need to have it with them. Do you just have a laptop because your boss doesn't realize that you'd be perfectly well off with an iMac?

Read below...

I think we're focusing far too much on corporate: almost every college student I know uses a Kensington lock for their MBP/MB. This could (potentially) shut out a very large potential group.

I use mine on my desk because when I go to the lab, I don't want to have to carry my laptop with my if I am just getting a spanner.

The uni got me an iMac, that's great. The PowerBook is my own and I have insured it. I think it rides better with the insurance people if I make this small effort. Not only that, but it will stop someone from just lifting it off the desk and running away.

I wouldn't leave it alone in a coffee shop - but then I don't go there for a toilet break and neither do I ever go alone...

You're "pretty sure" yet you put a question mark at the end... :rolleyes:

koobcamuk
Jan 21, 2008, 05:23 PM
I can't imagine this lock being much of a deterrent. A lock is only as strong as its weakest component; I imagine a few twists of the locking mechanism would snap it from the laptop housing.

If I was going to steal a laptop and I was walking around the uni campus, looking in the windows... I would grab one without a lock. Keep looking until you find someone that thinks like you... I wouldn't look for someone that thinks like me because it'd be more hassle.

Where do you work. I'll bring my wire cutter. Seriously laptop locks are a joke. One snip with a good wire cutter and its gone. I would never leave a laptop unattended anywhere. Your just asking for it to disappear.

How about in your office whilst you go to the toilet?

DMann
Jan 21, 2008, 05:49 PM
Maybe its so thin with the lock it could some how damage the casing just a thought

Surely, it would...... the hole into the side of my iPhone, Home Depot drilled for me, slightly affected the multi-touch response on the upper left-hand corner. I still lock it when ever I go out to feed quarters into the parking meter, but I constantly worry about someone tugging at it, making matters worse.

amac4me
Jan 21, 2008, 06:17 PM

To some degree your comments are valid but in an office environment it would look very strange for someone to be walking around with a wire cutter. Not only that, it would surely make significant noise for someone to actually cut through the wire. Besides, I sit in a very visible location so my colleagues would surely notice anyone attempting to steal my laptop.

There are times when I need to step away to address issues that arise during the day. I feel somewhat assured that my system is locked down and the fact that it is serves as a deterrent.

Overall, I think it is unfortunate that the MacBook Air doesn't have a lock slot.

gescom
Jan 21, 2008, 06:20 PM
There's no need for a security slot. Apple designed this to be thin like the stealth bomber so it is invisible to passerby! :D

Or you could always file under "Apple" in your filing cabinet!

DMann
Jan 21, 2008, 06:49 PM
There's no need for a security slot. Apple designed this to be thin like the stealth bomber so it is invisible to passerby! :D

Or you could always file under "Apple" in your filing cabinet!

I'll file mine under 'Zune.'

zync
Jan 21, 2008, 06:52 PM
I completely agree with you, and am actually surprised by others who find it ridiculous or pointless to lock their MBPs/MBs whilst in college. Whenever my MBP is in my room, automatically the FIRST thing I do when I enter is lock it. I also activate iAlertU when I'm off to the bathroom. One room down the hall got broken into a few weeks ago, and an unknown intruder tried to wrench-away the lock from his MBP; it didn't work, and although the owner later had to send it in to repair the damaged casing, it did not get stolen. This is a $50,000+ per year institution, and I really don't think switching schools would make a difference; it's college and there are unfortunately both good and bad folks around. Call me paranoid, but I'm not willing to risk loosing both a $3000 investment, as well as all my data, essays, etc., FileVault or not.

Quite frankly, many of my classmates/friends who are currently interested in the MacBook Air (somehow it's still wierd for me to write 'MBA') probably will stop considering it once they find out the missing security slot; they ALL have locks on their MBPs/MBs, believe it or not, even the "Paris Hilton" types. Unless Apple rectifies this relatively-simple issue, it is highly unlikely I will ever consider purchasing one in the near future. It is that serious of an omission on Apple's part, coming from a college student's perspective, which I would imagine is quite a large market.

To be fair—as I think you're mostly talking about me—I was mostly joking. I don't find it pointless in the open, but if it's needed in a dorm that's a little extreme. Where I went there wasn't rampant laptop theft, and I even saw people leave them on tables in the student union unattended. I didn't just go to some podunk school either, there were over 40k students. I am, however, surprised that there weren't more thefts, given the area and the expansive campus.

I've never used the slot, but I've never really left my computer anywhere that I wasn't. When I have, it was in a class where I had multiple friends around it. I watched their stuff, they watched mine. Someone did steal a professor's computer out of his office, but that was the only time I had heard of anything being stolen.

To be honest, you guys sound a little paranoid to me. The school should have some sort of security in place to protect you from burglary. Like I said, if you have to lock your computer down in a dorm, you shouldn't be living there. If I were going to a school where this was common enough that I felt unsafe to leave my posessions, I'd be moving off campus. I can see it if you are unfamiliar with your roommates and you're leaving the dorm or something.

I like the fact that my PowerBook has a security slot, but the omission of one wouldn't deter me from buying a computer. Also, as cool and useful as this would be to a student, I don't think that students are the target market for the MacBook Air. The MBA is priced like a pro model.

zync
Jan 21, 2008, 07:04 PM
Seems like an oversight by Apple, such a simple facility to include, and likely to put off corporate workers/executives who actually know this before buying.

I don't know how many times you guys are going to say it, but Apple isn't run by people who just forget things. If they didn't put it in, there was a reason. It was probably because the lock would be too big for it. It's not like they whipped this thing up willy-nilly a day before Macworld. They have made laptops for years, I'm sure there's some sort of checklist or design process that includes adding a lock slot, and I'm sure there was a good reason for not including it.

flyinmac
Jan 21, 2008, 07:13 PM
I don't know how many times you guys are going to say it, but Apple isn't run by people who just forget things. If they didn't put it in, there was a reason. It was probably because the lock would be too big for it. It's not like they whipped this thing up willy-nilly a day before Macworld. They have made laptops for years, I'm sure there's some sort of checklist or design process that includes adding a lock slot, and I'm sure there was a good reason for not including it.

Yep, wouldn't fit with the strategy of removing everything you can to decrease cost of production while increasing the sale price ;)

SeaFox
Jan 21, 2008, 07:22 PM
Dammit! I wanted to make an envelope joke, too.

Did you miss him mention Filevault? Just getting access to the boot volume will not get someone into the filevault.

I think most thieves would consider a replacement hard drive a small price to pay for an $1800 laptop. ;)

I have PERSONALLY seen a laptop walk from my desk in a large fortune 500 company.
And here I've always thought laptops having legs would help with the air circulation underneath, I guess there's a flip side to it.

Cameras are usually in entrances and lobby's. you won't spot a .76 inch thin laptop in someones bag!
And a guy carrying a stack of manila envelopes wont raise suspicions, either.

A USB cable you can't unplug, a thief trying to get away with a laptop. What could possibly go wrong!

I don't think many college students want a laptop with mono sound and one USB port.

I'll file mine under 'Zune.'
No, don't put it there. Someone might throw the whole file in the trash by mistake.

bigmc6000
Jan 21, 2008, 07:42 PM
Read below...

I use mine on my desk because when I go to the lab, I don't want to have to carry my laptop with my if I am just getting a spanner.

The uni got me an iMac, that's great. The PowerBook is my own and I have insured it. I think it rides better with the insurance people if I make this small effort. Not only that, but it will stop someone from just lifting it off the desk and running away.

I wouldn't leave it alone in a coffee shop - but then I don't go there for a toilet break and neither do I ever go alone...

You're "pretty sure" yet you put a question mark at the end... :rolleyes:

Well maybe things have changed IMMENSELY since I graduated 2.5 years ago but I never saw a single person use a kensington lock, not people living in dorms not people in the lab, no where (and yes, "back then" they had them, my laptop has one). It really just seems like an excuse to be haphazard with your laptop. Don't leave it anywhere, locked or not. Just because you locked it doesn't mean it's even REMOTELY safe. Oh great, so no one will steal it. What about some guy who trips and knocks it off the table or some other idiot who accidentally spill soda or something on it. I'm just saying there are SOOOO many things that can go wrong with leaving your laptop somewhere unsafe that even if it's locked you still shouldn't leave it. If you're in the dorm room put it in your locked cabinet when you go to the restroom, or, heaven forbid, room with someone you trust to keep an eye out and not let some stranger come in yank your laptop. It's really not that hard to prevent, just use your brain and don't be lazy.

SheriffParker
Jan 21, 2008, 07:51 PM
Try stealing THIS laptop!:

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2007/05/monster-laptop-sleeve.jpg

Yeah I know you'd think twice. ;)

gescom
Jan 21, 2008, 07:53 PM
I would dress in a blue suit and just use that as my head! Cookie Cookie Cookie!!! Lol... nice pic.

zync
Jan 21, 2008, 08:02 PM

When my dad lost his keys at a music festival, I saw the repair man open his old locked up Volvo car in 5 seconds with a special tyre iron with not a scratch on anywhere.

Last year I rented a car in Florida, a brand new car with 5 miles on the clock. I forgot exactly what car it was but it was the new 2007 Dodge or Chrysler or something like that. One day I stupidly locked the keys in the boot.

The repair man used a small rubber wedge to open the locked the car door in about 8 seconds (that's progress for you), again without a scratch.

That said, would I still bother locking my car doors? Of course I would. It wouldn't stop a determined tea-leaf, but these few extra seconds, and needing a bit of extra equipment, cuts out a lot of people and a lot of theft opportunities.

I once locked my keys in my trunk—getting a lot of stuff out—and had a guy come out to get them out—with my grandmother's roadside assistance. Of course, as soon as he opened it I had to scramble inside to the trunk the get my keys to turn off the alarm. Just because you can get into it in a matter of seconds doesn't mean that you can get away with it. That is the other required half of stealing things successfully—getting away. He couldn't have easily entered my car with the alarm on.

That said, without so much as a sound audible more than a foot or so away, a locked laptop can be snatched, and it's much less noticeable and much quicker.

gescom
Jan 21, 2008, 08:05 PM
That's why if you can hook a cable to your laptop you should get the Defcon (http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA400U)!!! :D

e12a
Jan 21, 2008, 08:32 PM
well, get a kensington lock and combine it with iAlert, and activate the email feature that takes a picture of the user.

i have a friend whose macbook pro was almost stolen from his dorm room. The lock slot was slightly gouged and bent but the lock still held strong.

i major part of these locks is that it is a theft deterrent. The longer you can have someone out with their wire clips the easier they'll be noticed. Plus its kind of easy to spot someone holding a laptop with the lock attached with its cable cut. Just like someone driving in a car with its alarm blaring (iAlert).

dan7592
Jan 21, 2008, 08:33 PM
I was just thinking of this today, lol.

heatmiser
Jan 21, 2008, 08:39 PM
I've never used any physical locking device for my computers. Then again, they almost never leave my room. When one does, it's in my backpack or in my hands. Done all right so far.

gescom
Jan 21, 2008, 08:44 PM
Always good to have a lock if you do have a lappy especially at the office. We had a whole floor raided one night and had more than 11 stolen. Even with security it took months before they realized that the cleaning crew used the garbage cans to stash them past the cameras.

They could've used wire cutters if they were locked but the security sweeps would have left them to take fewer due to the hassle of the wire.

Toe
Jan 21, 2008, 08:45 PM
(sorry about the wmv!)

I just tried this on my Kensington lock and could not get it to work. The roll fits the lock, but I can see that I would have to add extra components to the pick to get it to work.

I don't know lock mechanics or lockpicking, so I don't know how easy it is to construct a pick for that sort of lock, but it certainly doesn't seem to be as easy as the video shows.

Can anyone pick their Kensington lock with a toilet paper roll?

Anyone?

Virgil-TB2
Jan 21, 2008, 08:49 PM

I know i never have......Where I work we have tried to use them on the iMacs but they have never worked. You can literally spend a half hour or so playing around with them to get them to seat properly. Basically we gave up. Not sure if it's Apple's implementation of the hole or the cable makers implementation of the lock.

Bottom line for those things is that any decent pair of wire cutters can cut the cable anyhow, and they are no good for fast locking or unlocking. They only really function well in an inside office environment for locking down a large desktop computer.

For the Air, I can't see anywhere that you could put one that would be accessible. The length of the cylinder alone is a probably three times the thickness of the air. On the bright side, you could easily take one of these things into the can with you at Starbucks or whatever.

Virgil-TB2
Jan 21, 2008, 09:01 PM
I have NEVER seen anyone lock a laptop and the last place I worked had over 13,000 employees. My current location has about 100 and there are dozens of laptops and NO ONE ever locks theirs up. I wonder tho - why don't you take it home with you? Most of the people I know who need laptops for their job need laptops for a reason - they need to have it with them. Do you just have a laptop because your boss doesn't realize that you'd be perfectly well off with an iMac?I work at a large University and most people have laptops specifically so they can take them home at night and not have to worry about them being stolen. During the day, they rely on the lock on the office door.

All you really have to worry about is leaving your laptop unattended in a public place. The same applies to your wallet, purse, car keys etc. It's not rocket science. ;)

zync
Jan 21, 2008, 09:02 PM
well, get a kensington lock and combine it with iAlert, and activate the email feature that takes a picture of the user.

i have a friend whose macbook pro was almost stolen from his dorm room. The lock slot was slightly gouged and bent but the lock still held strong.

i major part of these locks is that it is a theft deterrent. The longer you can have someone out with their wire clips the easier they'll be noticed. Plus its kind of easy to spot someone holding a laptop with the lock attached with its cable cut. Just like someone driving in a car with its alarm blaring (iAlert).

You could just hold it vertically, using your hand to hide the lock.

e12a
Jan 21, 2008, 09:40 PM
You could just hold it vertically, using your hand to hide the lock.

true. What of the iAlertU alarm going off though?

surely in a library type setting everyone will turn to look. I suppose it could be updated because I just tested it under Leopard and it seems like the remote does not work with ialertu like it does in Tiger.

the only way to turn off the alarm once tripped in Leopard is to press/hold the power button, or to pull the battery (which in of itself looks suspicious).

the toilet paper roll trick might work, but there are combination locks instead of those that use keys.

flyinmac
Jan 21, 2008, 10:01 PM

surely in a library type setting everyone will turn to look. I suppose it could be updated because I just tested it under Leopard and it seems like the remote does not work with ialertu like it does in Tiger.

the only way to turn off the alarm once tripped in Leopard is to press/hold the power button, or to pull the battery (which in of itself looks suspicious).

the toilet paper roll trick might work, but there are combination locks instead of those that use keys.

I consider alarms to be steal me and no-one will care signs.

We have alarms going off everyday all around us. I go to Wal-Mart, and buy a $5 item and pay for it. I walk out the door, and the alarms go off saying "Stop thief". Meanwhile the guy who didn't pay for his $2000 television walks right out without an alarm sounding.

I walk into Wal-Mart with nothing buy the clothes I'm wearing, my keys, and my shoes. And, the alarm goes off when I walk in the door. "Stop Thief".

Sure, I'm stealing something into the store :cool:

OK, whatever...

That happens at many large stores, clothing stores, and other places around town.

The other day I walked into the GAP, and walking in as a line, my wife set off the alarm, I set of the alarm, my daughter set off the alarm, my other daughter set off the alarm, the lady behind me set off the alarm, and the lady behind her set off the alarm.

Same thing happened on the way out.

I returned some things to the store the other night. Set off alarms going in.

Stop thief, stop thief...

I walk out to my car on any given night, and several car alarms are going off. The wind blew against them or something. And, I don't bother to look anymore because there's always a car alarm going off. Someone might be stealing it, but I'm not going to bother checking (and no-one I know would either).

And, suppose that someone actually does look to see where the alarm is coming from, like you or I am going to lay down our life to protect someone else's car or computer.

So, we slow them down a bit. Big deal. All you end-up with is one guy shot, and the car is still missing. But, most likely, I could wander over there and see that the wind set it off (big waste of time).

Really, it's gotten to the point to where if I were going to steal a car, I'd go look for the one with the alarm. I could guarantee you that I'd set that alarm off, and I could spend an hour disabling the alarm and starting the car and no-one would even bother to look. If anything, they'd specifically avoid looking and provide me a free pass.

Alarms are just so common, and so frequently set off for the wrong reason, that people will first assume it's nothing. Who'd bother even looking up from their paper to see why some computer is making noise. They'd just be glad when the guy finally got the annoying thing out of range of their ears.

anirban
Jan 21, 2008, 10:19 PM
Really? I would consider a new school. If you have to chain something down where you live, you shouldn't be living there. :D

Hahah, but seriously, ask any student in any university. If they have any sense, they will tell you that they lock their laptops down when they leave the room to take a shower or what not.

zync
Jan 21, 2008, 10:26 PM
Hahah, but seriously, ask any student in any university. If they have any sense, they will tell you that they lock their laptops down when they leave the room to take a shower or what not.

No one I ever knew at my university did it, but I guess some do. I've never run into anyone that did. Many of my friends lived in dorms. I guess it depends upon where you go.

I didn't say that wouldn't work :)

We have alarms going off everyday all around us. I go to Wal-Mart, and buy a $5 item and pay for it. I walk out the door, and the alarms go off saying "Stop thief". Meanwhile the guy who didn't pay for his $2000 television walks right out without an alarm sounding.

I walk into Wal-Mart with nothing buy the clothes I'm wearing, my keys, and my shoes. And, the alarm goes off when I walk in the door. "Stop Thief".

OK, whatever...

That happens at many large stores, clothing stores, and other places around town.

The other day I walked into the GAP, and walking in as a line, my wife set off the alarm, I set of the alarm, my daughter set off the alarm, my other daughter set off the alarm, the lady behind me set off the alarm, and the lady behind her set off the alarm.

I walk out to my car on any given night, and several car alarms are going off. The wind blew against them or something. And, I don't bother to look anymore because there's always a car alarm going off. Someone might be stealing it, but I'm not going to bother checking (and no-one I know would either).

And, suppose that someone actually does look to see where the alarm is coming from, like you or I am going to lay down our life to protect someone else's car or computer.

So, we slow them down a bit. Big deal. All you end-up with is one guy shot, and the car is still missing. But, most likely, I could wander over there and see that the wind set it off (big waste of time).

Really, it's gotten to the point to where if I were going to steal a car, I'd go look for the one with the alarm. I could guarantee you that I'd set that alarm off, and I could spend an hour disabling the alarm and starting the car and no-one would even bother to look. If anything, they'd specifically avoid looking and provide me a free pass.

Alarms are just so common, and so frequently set off for the wrong reason, that people will first assume it's nothing. Who'd bother even looking up from their paper to see why some computer is making noise. They'd just be glad when the guy finally got the annoying thing out of range of their ears.

Most of this is true. I think people would look twice at someone stealing a computer, and it's not that someone is going to stop them, it's that someone notices. Also, my car alarm doesn't happen to go off in the wind thank you. :)

e12a
Jan 21, 2008, 10:41 PM

OK, whatever...

woah woah, okay lets stop and analyze this. Sure, walking out and triggering the alarm for say grocery shopping is easy..People could care less that you're walking out with a $1.50 stick of gum. Lets take that to the electronics store, say Best Buy, where they have people checking receipts, etc. AND lets take into consideration you're walking out with a laptop, which isn't easily concealed. Say you're taking the demo laptop that's out on the shelf. First of all that's already connected to an alarm via USB or other methods. I am positively sure you're going to get attention from BB employees or any other electronics store. Try walking out with an iphone, macbook pro, or a macbook at an Apple Store. They're not even locked down per say.

and back to the library scenario. Unless you're computing and studying next to the exit where the "walk out with a book without checking out" alarms are, then you're bound to take attention. which would lead to:
1. if you haven't cut the cable yet, you're going to walk away because people are eying you.
2. If you have cut the cable, you're not going to start to walk with it.
3. This is all assuming the thief knows how to disable iAlertU. Once he hears the alarm he could fruitlessly type on the keyboard (both keyboard, mouse, volume controls are disabled) and fumble with it hoping to disable it, while the alarm is blaring away.

zephyrnoid
Jan 21, 2008, 11:07 PM
This might work

fratrow
Jan 21, 2008, 11:35 PM
That kind of sucks. I also noticed that it does NOT have the Apple Remote, which I think would be pretty annoying since it is catered toward on the go people and business people that would want that for Keynote Presentations. :(

Actually, the Apple Remote is available in the BTO section for $19... So... you can still use it for keynote...

:eek:

LizKat
Jan 21, 2008, 11:38 PM
Put a "Protected by Smith & Wesson" sticker on it and stop worrying.

Or scan in your carry permit and make a screensaver out of it.

:confused: You do have a permit, right? :confused:

hippo206
Jan 22, 2008, 02:12 AM

That if funny, lmfao

dibara2003
Jan 22, 2008, 04:37 AM
I can imagine it now... "thousands of manila envelopes go missing nation-wide"

Dagless
Jan 22, 2008, 08:15 AM
Oh dear oh dear. I relied on a really good lock back at university, had my Powerbook running lots of videos on some display for a gallery showing.

Good thing was if the machine got stolen I would have been a proud owner of a new MBP, but alas the security lock saved the day :o

PeckhamBog
Jan 22, 2008, 08:22 AM
That's why if you can hook a cable to your laptop you should get the Defcon (http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA400U)!!! :D

Hey - what's the matter with ya? [With all due respect, no offense intended].

I looks at the link and it sezs, "Easily attaches to ... notebooks equipped with a security lock slot'.

Have you lost the thread?

mustang_dvs
Jan 22, 2008, 08:23 AM
Those cables never struck me as being very secure...

I mean, what if the person who wants to take the laptop has a wielding torch or BFG? Heck, I'm sure you can just yank on it and it would come right out. It doesn't even take that much -- I've seen kensington locks picked with the end of a Bic stic pen, or cut with a $5 wire stripper.

Yeah, doesn't it fit inside that little pocket within your normal sized pocket. I always wondered what the pocket was for... The little pocket is a throw-back to the days when men carried their watches in their pocket -- it's a pocket watch pocket.

I think we're focusing far too much on corporate: almost every college student I know uses a Kensington lock for their MBP/MB. This could (potentially) shut out a very large potential group. Most of the students that I knew that relied on the Kensington lock whilst leaving their laptops unattended lost their laptops. They're worthless.

I can't imagine this lock being much of a deterrent. A lock is only as strong as its weakest component; I imagine a few twists of the locking mechanism would snap it from the laptop housing. The internal tab for the locking mechanism is relatively thin metal -- in most cases, it's the RF-shielding material.

To some degree your comments are valid but in an office environment it would look very strange for someone to be walking around with a wire cutter. Not only that, it would surely make significant noise for someone to actually cut through the wire. Besides, I sit in a very visible location so my colleagues would surely notice anyone attempting to steal my laptop. It's very quiet to snip a wire, and unless you have x-ray vision, I think you'd be hard pressed to notice a pocket knife or pair of needle-nose pliers.

Anyone? I've seen it done with a cardboard paper towel roll, though it's easier to use the blunt end of a white bic stic pen.

---

I'm always amazed at how willing people are to trust a $2,000+ investment to a $20 lock. The easiest way to prevent laptop theft is to not leave your laptop unattended.

Demonstrations:
Classic 'toilet paper' unlock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90hz3d8Tfi0

Tubular Lock pick (very specialized):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOMrkKhDZV4&feature=related

Screwdriver (~15 seconds):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJXtwUzWfPc&feature=related

Lock tensile strength demo (~3 seconds):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge6sh4srzbI&feature=related

Kensington combination lock defeat (~3 seconds):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2WYUtrcRqw&feature=related

Kryponite bic stic tubular lock defeat:
http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2004/09/64987

Don't panic
Jan 22, 2008, 08:57 AM
no problem,
just use this
http://www.pioneerlock.com/FL50BCS11a.jpg

the round base will nicely fit over the apple logo on top. then you just need a bag of spare ones to glue on chairs, tables beds, depending on where you go.

Toe
Jan 22, 2008, 09:00 AM
Demonstrations:
Classic 'toilet paper' unlock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90hz3d8Tfi0

Tubular Lock pick (very specialized):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOMrkKhDZV4&feature=related

Screwdriver (~15 seconds):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJXtwUzWfPc&feature=related

Lock tensile strength demo (~3 seconds):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge6sh4srzbI&feature=related

Kensington combination lock defeat (~3 seconds):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2WYUtrcRqw&feature=related

Kryponite bic stic tubular lock defeat:
http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2004/09/64987

Sure these videos exist, but I see no confirmation from anyone else on the internet that they were able to duplicate the results shown in the videos.

The toiletpaper roll trick does not seem workable at all on my Kensington lock. The screwdriver one looks like it's being done on an old-style lock. The others seem equally unproven.

I'm not saying it's not possible to break a Kensington lock, but... can anyone here confirm it? Can you even find someone on the net saying, "Yeah, I was able to do what they show in that video?"

dubhe
Jan 22, 2008, 09:17 AM
If you lived anywhere in my state, you'd be pretty well off with AT&T these days. Unless, of course, you're in my office. There's a close tower in that area that is CDMA and the building is brick. Right outside it's wonderful. Don't they sell repeaters that you can put on external surfaces to get signals inside?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1829799

sishaw
Jan 22, 2008, 12:33 PM

Sure. To lock it in public.

thegman1234
Jan 22, 2008, 01:43 PM

I must be a careless student then.

I know not one person who uses the lock. I've considered it, but the lock is expensive, plus I take my MBP to nearly every class so it's rarely in my room without me there.

When no one is in my dorm room the door is locked, my roommate wouldn't let someone just come in and take it, and most of my classes are small, so if I leave the room it's really not threatened. Plus, I'm a graphic design major so almost everyone in the class has one already anyway haha.

chicagostars
Jan 22, 2008, 02:36 PM
I wonder if some who bemoan the absence of a security slot on the MBAir are just looking for something to criticize.

apachie2k
Jan 22, 2008, 02:40 PM
I wonder if some who bemoan the absence of a security slot on the MBAir are just looking for something to criticize.

personally, i'm glad it was brought up, and even if some people are just bored, it's important to understand everything about a certain product before we potentially buy it. The lack of a security slot is a real mystery to me, how in the world could they not include it? mostly any electronic product from radios to even big towers have a security slot...

jnc
Jan 22, 2008, 02:49 PM

I don't see this as any kind of issue either, but maybe it's a deal-breaker for some... seriously, the thing is pretty diminutive - just pick it up.

Someone wouldn't have to steal your MBA to ruin it, anyway - all it'd take is a spilled coffee or a heavy book landing on it :D

mostly any electronic product from radios to even big towers have a security slot..

Just last night, I noticed my WD external HDs had security locks o_O

SeaFox
Jan 22, 2008, 03:12 PM
no problem,
just use this
http://www.pioneerlock.com/FL50BCS11a.jpg

the round base will nicely fit over the apple logo on top. then you just need a bag of spare ones to glue on chairs, tables beds, depending on where you go.
Or, you could just glue two on them to the laptop and use the cable as a loop. ;)

I know not one person who uses the lock. I've considered it, but the lock is expensive, plus I take my MBP to nearly every class so it's rarely in my room without me there.
Yes, it's much cheaper to just buy a new laptop when it gets stolen.

I think it was a rather stupid omission.

PeckhamBog
Jan 22, 2008, 03:21 PM

"some" - maybe. But to me it is big problem. Is it the 'deal breaker'? Well ... since the MBA was unveiled, it does seem a very attractive alternative to replace my work hack this summer. At the moment, until they're [MBAs] are out in the real world, I can't see how it would work (ownership) [without a security slot].

Hyuga
Jan 22, 2008, 04:31 PM
Try stealing THIS laptop!:

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2007/05/monster-laptop-sleeve.jpg

Yeah I know you'd think twice. ;)

Where I can get this! giev! :eek:

antrabbit
Jan 22, 2008, 04:52 PM
Just as long as they keep one on the MacBook Pros when they update them.

I always lock my old 12" Powerbook to the desk, even at home. I may have insurance but I don't want to lose it.

JSchwage
Jan 22, 2008, 04:55 PM
Maybe Apple thinks you're just going to carry the MacBook Air around with you in a Manila envelope everywhere you go.

flyinmac
Jan 22, 2008, 05:01 PM
Maybe Apple thinks you're just going to carry the MacBook Air around with you in a Manila envelope everywhere you go.

I can't my iBook is already in it.

Oh, wait... You mean I have to buy a second Manilla envelope? What a rip.

The MacBook Air should slip in on-top my my iBook. Why'd they make that darn MacBook Air so thick anyway?

zync
Jan 22, 2008, 06:32 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1829799

Thanks, I didn't think of checking Tiger. I had only found strange expensive systems online when I check after posting that.

And yes, snipping a wire is ultra silent.

Yes, it's much cheaper to just buy a new laptop when it gets stolen.

It'd be worth it if the lock guaranteed a certain amount. But I don't think it does. Their site doesn't have a guarantee listed.

flyinmac
Jan 22, 2008, 06:43 PM
It'd be worth it if the lock guaranteed a certain amount. But I don't think it does. Their site doesn't have a guarantee listed.

That's because they're selling a sense of security, not actual security ;)

SeaFox
Jan 22, 2008, 08:16 PM

http://us.kensington.com/html/2221.html

Mechcozmo
Jan 22, 2008, 08:23 PM
Linkety (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-64036-Security-Slot-Adapter/dp/B0001IXULC)
Maybe it will come it white...

SeaFox
Jan 22, 2008, 08:50 PM
Linkety (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-64036-Security-Slot-Adapter/dp/B0001IXULC)
Note: That item is not available on the U.S. Amazon site, and can only be delivered within the U.K. when ordered from amazon.co.uk. Also, I don't think that would be a an acceptable attachment with the guaranteed cable I linked to. It would probably invalidate the insurance.

Edit: One thing that has occurred to me, I wonder if the equipment replacement would apply if the computer is damaged in the attempt to remove it. Like lets say I have a flat panel monitor hooked to a Kensington cable in my home and a thief breaks in when I'm not there. He attempts to grab the monitor, but discovers the security cable. He yanks and yanks and nothing works. He finally drops the monitor in frustration and leaves.

I come home later. Find my monitor laying on the floor with a big diagonal crack from hitting the floor on a corner, but still attached to the security cable. Do I get a replacement since the monitor was damaged in a theft attempt? Or since it wasn't actually stolen does this prove that the cable did it's job so I get nothing? If that's the case it would actually make more sense to not use the security cable since if it actually got stolen then I could have it replaced by my renter's insurance.

zync
Jan 22, 2008, 09:53 PM
http://us.kensington.com/html/2221.html

I meant to say that I didn't think their site had a guarantee on it. So they replace $1500. Well, since most Apple laptops cost more than that you're out an average of $1044 on a loss with a Kensington lock. Unless, of course, you recover the laptop and it's stolen again. Then it pays for itself. :)

Couldn't you just buy one if your laptop gets stolen then? How do you prove it was on your laptop? Seems to me like it'd be much easier to just take your computer with you.

What good would white do?

And then the more important question: what good would ANY color do? I've never stolen a thing but I'd steal someone's Apple laptop if they put that on there just to remove it, and then return it to the moron and tell them to take better care of their things.

SeaFox
Jan 22, 2008, 10:13 PM
I meant to say that I didn't think their site had a guarantee on it. So they replace $1500. Well, since most Apple laptops cost more than that you're out an average of $1044 on a loss with a Kensington lock.

Well, it would be enough to replace most PC laptops. Maybe the solution is for Kensington to offer an upgrade for the warranty for people with more expensive machines. But then you'd have some jackinape claiming it's an unfair "Apple tax".

What good would white do?
And then the more important question: what good would ANY color do? I've never stolen a thing but I'd steal someone's Apple laptop if they put that on there just to remove it, and then return it to the moron and tell them to take better care of their things.

I think those stick on pads are kinda dumb anyway. They wont be as secure as locking into the case itself, and unless you can find an out of the way place to put it they'll look ugly and effect the resale value of the computer for cosmetic reasons.

The ones that leave a "STOLEN PROPERTY"-type message etched in the case if you remove them are a real hoot; like you can't just put a bumper sticker on the case to cover it up. No one's going to ask you to remove the sticker so they can see if you're hiding a property mark unless you're already the main suspect.

X38
Jan 23, 2008, 12:33 AM

I certainly wouldn't...

Steve.

I work at in a secured building on a secured site of a large federal government agency. We are required to use security locks on laptops at all times. (I know of at least two friends in my building who have had their laptops stolen right off of their desks; turned out to be a security guard who stole them.)

I would expect the lack of a security slot to be a serious detriment to corporate sales. Just one of many shortcomings of the MBA. It's a fantastic concept and an amazing job of engineering, but it is fatally flawed in execution. I have to agree with the many posts to the effect that it is the next Cube. Hopefully Steve will get over himself and they will release a fixed version soon instead of just killing it when sales falter.

e12a
Jan 23, 2008, 01:29 AM
hey, if you need the security, those stick on pads work.

I work in the summer with a computer contractor that sets up networked computers in office buildings and locks them down using a similar device. If a new computer, printer, or monitor is missing one, they'll just glue (this isnt just any glue) it back on.

the type we use uses a thick gauge cable (none you would carry around in your laptop bag...its thicker than a bike lock cable) connected to a padlock.

these computers are put into high risk places as well (probation centers, juvenile detention centers, etc.)

i'm not saying the MBA needs one or what not, but to say that you can simply tear the pad off as if it were a sticker is nonsense.

atarin
Jan 23, 2008, 01:41 AM
Well maybe things have changed IMMENSELY since I graduated 2.5 years ago but I never saw a single person use a kensington lock, not people living in dorms not people in the lab, no where (and yes, "back then" they had them, my laptop has one). It really just seems like an excuse to be haphazard with your laptop. Don't leave it anywhere, locked or not. Just because you locked it doesn't mean it's even REMOTELY safe. Oh great, so no one will steal it. What about some guy who trips and knocks it off the table or some other idiot who accidentally spill soda or something on it. I'm just saying there are SOOOO many things that can go wrong with leaving your laptop somewhere unsafe that even if it's locked you still shouldn't leave it. If you're in the dorm room put it in your locked cabinet when you go to the restroom, or, heaven forbid, room with someone you trust to keep an eye out and not let some stranger come in yank your laptop. It's really not that hard to prevent, just use your brain and don't be lazy.

I agree. It's been a few years since I've lived in a dorm, but this leads me to wonder...did they take the locks off of the doors since I left? Seriously, who leaves the door unlocked to take a shower, go to class, or...EVER? Who leaves valuables lying around unattended in libraries and student unions? And honestly, I think your textbooks are more likely to disappear than your laptop, especially around book buy-back time (easier to get away with, too). If you're smart enough to be in college, you should be smart enough to properly care for and look after your things. Just MHO.

If you leave your laptop unattended in public, lock or no lock, you're just begging for it to be stolen! Take it with you!

e12a
Jan 23, 2008, 01:49 AM
it must be different at the school you went to, because we always left our room open as long as we were still in the building. I guess i was lucky that I could "trust" people, but my MBP was always locked down when it was in my room.

i couldnt say the same for the common room dvd player. That thing was stolen time and time again (it was returned, and borrowed again).

in a dorm setting, get to know people and your roommate. its no use not getting along with someone you're going to be living with for the better part of a year and sharing your college experience with. I lived right across from the bathroom so i never locked my door when i went to the shower. My neighbor did and we always thought he was a little paranoid. Luckily my roommate and I (randomly picked) got along so well that we're roommates again this year.

Toe
Jan 23, 2008, 08:53 AM
For clarification of the thread, this is the general principle behind the Kensington lock:

When your laptop is safe, lock it and feel comfortable stepping away from it for a few minutes.

When your laptop is not safe, take it with you.

Doesn't make sense at first glance, but you have to understand what the lock is for. The lock is not generally thought of as a way to leave your laptop sitting alone in the middle of Central Park for a week with nobody watching it. It is there to make it a chore for someone to steal it, such that they would:
have to be prepared with tools
have know-how to defeat the lock
have to make a spectacle of themselves while they steal it
have to take some time doing it

My company owns several expensive DLP projectors; and staff use them in rooms in convention centers. I instruct my staff to always lock the projectors with the cable no matter what. The two times a projector was not locked, it disappeared in the 2-3 minutes it was left unattended. We have never had a projector get stolen when it was locked with a Kensington cable. The thief would have had to take too much time and make too much noise.

Yankees 4 Life
Jan 23, 2008, 09:07 AM
if you had a MBA, why would you leave it anyways. It's so light, just carry it with you.

jnc
Jan 23, 2008, 10:50 AM
For clarification of the thread, this is the general principle behind the Kensington lock:

When your laptop is safe, lock it and feel comfortable stepping away from it for a few minutes.

When your laptop is not safe, take it with you.

Makes sense, but I guess I always class it as not safe. ;)

if you had a MBA, why would you leave it anyways. It's so light, just carry it with you.

That's how I think, heh. If it's not in my line of sight, I'll be holding it.

nagromme
Jan 23, 2008, 11:50 AM
I want a lock slot. I do use it with my old PBG4. I'm more paranoid that anyone I know. Sometimes I lock it while at a meeting or event, just in CASE I get up to talk to someone and forget! Kind of insulting to everyone else in the meeting, who presumably would notice if someone walked in and grabbed it :)

However, I also often just pick the laptop up when I go anyplace--and that will be even easier with the Air. I can deal with that. In fact, my lock cable is one of the most annoying extras I have to carry around. Being forced to leave it at home will in part be a relief!

I hope someone makes a lock cable that attaches to the rear vent though. It would have to attach in a slim, rear-facing way kind of like the Air's magsafe plug.

If nothing else, I'd use that to lock it to my car, as an added precaution when stopping for groceries etc. Hiding it is my first defense, but a lock to slow a thief down would be nice too. I can generally find some kind of loop or structure in any car's trunk that I can lock to.

Another defense is that my computer is named: "Wireless Theft Tracking Activated" and the screensaver shows that :) And the password hints all give my phone number to return it to if found by someone other than the thief.

As for bag-grabs, my preference is for a laptop bag that doesn't look like one to attract thieves--and which is distinctly colored, making a getaway feel riskier.

A lock cable through the handles of some two-handled bags could slow someone down too--if the laptop can't be removed without ripping the handles apart.

But the best security I have is a cereal box and a cloth grocery bag. No matter how heavy those Wheaties seem to be, I've never had anyone try to take them :) I just remove the box bottom and slip it over my PowerBook. Hidden in plain sight.

Lord Sam
Jan 23, 2008, 01:08 PM
Then what are they going to do at the Apple Stores? They are always locked down there, and like someone pointed out, you could hide one in an envelope and walk out of the store. There must be some way that they can stop these things being stolen. If there isn't, shame.

nagromme
Jan 23, 2008, 01:20 PM
Stores have various devices they can use (powered electronic devices generally) which could either glue on the case or use the USB port. Apple locks down their iPods, for instance.

jnc
Jan 23, 2008, 01:26 PM
Then what are they going to do at the Apple Stores? They are always locked down there, and like someone pointed out, you could hide one in an envelope and walk out of the store. There must be some way that they can stop these things being stolen. If there isn't, shame.

Behind glass.

Toe
Jan 23, 2008, 01:45 PM
This might work
Or this (http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?aid=806319676&apnum=2263110), I suppose.

:D

SimonTheSoundMa
Jan 23, 2008, 04:11 PM
My iMac and two external hard drives are tethered to a bolts in the wall. I once had a two day old laptop stolen from my house while I was in the shower, they climbed through an upstairs window (50cm wide by 25cm high) that was open.

What you can buy is a stick on Kensington slot. Usually made of plastic, with a very sticky back. Stick it onto the back of you computer and then you can secure it down.

RedTomato
Jan 23, 2008, 05:21 PM
Where I work we have tried to use them on the iMacs but they have never worked. You can literally spend a half hour or so playing around with them to get them to seat properly. Basically we gave up. Not sure if it's Apple's implementation of the hole or the cable makers implementation of the lock.

I just checked my kensington lock with my new macbook. Works perfectly well no problem. And the white cable and white spongy scratch protector matches the macbook :rolleyes: It also works with my old powerbook and ibook.

Even my powermac has a security slot - it's more of a big piece of metal sticking out of the back with a hole for a padlock. (when locked, the case can't be opened either). This is a G3 powermac btw. Not sure if the latest Mac Pros still have it, but I think so.

I also have the classic iMac G3 (strawberry with CRT), but it's in the attic and I don't feel like checking to see if it has a security slot.

PeckhamBog
Jan 23, 2008, 05:32 PM

At the Regent Street store I was unable to look at a wireless keyboard because for security they are not displayed.

Pity, because I think now [eight weeks into an 24" 2.4] I would have bought one.

I'm sure the MBAs will tethered with glued on cables.

RedTomato
Jan 23, 2008, 05:50 PM
At the Regent Street store I was unable to look at a wireless keyboard because for security they are not displayed.

Pity, because I think now [eight weeks into an 24" 2.4] I would have bought one.

I'm sure the MBAs will tethered with glued on cables.

Oh I just bought a wireless keyboard at the Regent Street store. Trying one out was no problem at all. I asked a member of staff, and they went and took one out of the box and let me have a type on it. Didn't hook it up to the computer (too much hassle to pair it) but I was ok with that. It's exactly the same feel as the Macbook keyboard.

Got a pretty good discount on it as it was at the same time as buying a new macbook. TBH I don't use the wireless keyboard all that much, but that's partly cos I don't have a mouse / external monitor.

jnc
Jan 23, 2008, 05:53 PM

It's a MacBook keyboard... in a silver case, with room for batteries. Couldn't you have just... like... imagined it? Lol. Even if you bought it and didn't like it, you'd still have the 14 days no fuss return.

RedTomato
Jan 23, 2008, 06:04 PM
It's a MacBook keyboard... in a silver case, with room for batteries. Couldn't you have just... like... imagined it? Lol. Even if you bought it and didn't like it, you'd still have the 14 days no fuss return.

Yes, a couple of years ago I bought the old Pro wireless keyboard and mouse (the hairtrap and food display one), thought it was dreadful (both the keyboard and mouse) and overpriced, and already displaying dirty hairs and crumbs after a couple of hours use.

Gave it a shake upside down and returned it the next week. Full refund no probs. I do understand not wanting to have to commit to coming back to the store tho. I'm dreadful like that with clothes and various junk from Ikea - keep missing the refund period.

notjustjay
Jan 23, 2008, 08:56 PM
Where I can get this! giev! :eek:

http://www.barrysfarm.net/store/single_view/20

I want one!!

zync
Jan 23, 2008, 09:01 PM
I work at in a secured building on a secured site of a large federal government agency. We are required to use security locks on laptops at all times. (I know of at least two friends in my building who have had their laptops stolen right off of their desks; turned out to be a security guard who stole them.)

I would expect the lack of a security slot to be a serious detriment to corporate sales. Just one of many shortcomings of the MBA. It's a fantastic concept and an amazing job of engineering, but it is fatally flawed in execution. I have to agree with the many posts to the effect that it is the next Cube. Hopefully Steve will get over himself and they will release a fixed version soon instead of just killing it when sales falter.

You see a security slot that can be compromised with a $5 pair of wire cutters as making the MacBook Air fatally flawed? I'd be willing to be that only 5% of companies require you to lock your laptop. That might even be too high of a figure. Almost all of the companies that require such a thing are government agencies, or agencies that work directly with the government.

What else about this MBA is a "shortcoming?" You do realize that the target market for these things is most likely businessmen who travel a lot, right?

I'm all for having the security slot, but it's nothing that's going to stop anyone who wants your laptop from stealing it. You guys are talking about this thing like it's missing an input device.

CP1091
Jan 23, 2008, 09:03 PM
Well, I guess this is a lesson kids, don't leave your two-thousand dollar laptop sitting around so people can steal it and your data!

zync
Jan 23, 2008, 09:05 PM
I agree. It's been a few years since I've lived in a dorm, but this leads me to wonder...did they take the locks off of the doors since I left? Seriously, who leaves the door unlocked to take a shower, go to class, or...EVER? Who leaves valuables lying around unattended in libraries and student unions? And honestly, I think your textbooks are more likely to disappear than your laptop, especially around book buy-back time (easier to get away with, too). If you're smart enough to be in college, you should be smart enough to properly care for and look after your things. Just MHO.

If you leave your laptop unattended in public, lock or no lock, you're just begging for it to be stolen! Take it with you!

I was thinking the same thing. Besides, if anyone's willing to bust through your door, they're probably willing to snip a small gauge wire, or break what it's connected to.

janitorC7
Jan 24, 2008, 12:49 AM

I don't use it much either....

but for the traveler I immagine that it must be very important, this was a mistake on apples part

veeco3110
Jan 24, 2008, 12:05 PM
ive never used a lock for my laptop because its something called RESPONSIBILITIES...dont leave your expensive stuff out in the open.

telecomm
Jan 24, 2008, 12:16 PM
ive never used a lock for my laptop because its something called RESPONSIBILITIES...dont leave your expensive stuff out in the open.

Spoken like someone who's never owned a bicycle. :p ;)

thegman1234
Jan 24, 2008, 12:21 PM
...Yes, it's much cheaper to just buy a new laptop when it gets stolen....

Really? Because I was under the impression that being responsible and not leaving things in an unsafe situation was even cheaper, more like free for that matter.

Spoken like someone who's never owned a bicycle. :p ;)

Haha lol. Come on now that's different, you can't bring a bicycle into a store.... legally.

tgildred
Jan 24, 2008, 12:53 PM

A tractor beam, if you will.

thegman1234
Jan 24, 2008, 01:02 PM
A tractor beam, if you will.

Jobs is a Star Trek fan lol. In all seriousness though, I'm surprised Apple hasn't implemented the thumb print technology that's in some of the Toshiba laptops. I don't know much about it, is it faulty?

notjustjay
Jan 24, 2008, 01:53 PM
Jobs is a Star Trek fan lol. In all seriousness though, I'm surprised Apple hasn't implemented the thumb print technology that's in some of the Toshiba laptops. I don't know much about it, is it faulty?

Prone to false reads (Mythbusters even managed to fool one such scanner with a photocopy of the fingerprint, or something equally trivial). As such, it would not be an approved security device at any company that would actually require a decent level of security. Given that, and space, cost, appearances, etc. I can see why there was no great drive to put one in a Mac.

Really, other than the "gee whiz cool!" tech-toy factor, there's not much point to a fingerprint scanner.

bogman12
Jan 24, 2008, 02:14 PM

so why not just leave your car door unlocked and the keys in the ignition? pointless argument..

thegman1234
Jan 24, 2008, 02:14 PM
Prone to false reads (Mythbusters even managed to fool one such scanner with a photocopy of the fingerprint, or something equally trivial). As such, it would not be an approved security device at any company that would actually require a decent level of security. Given that, and space, cost, appearances, etc. I can see why there was no great drive to put one in a Mac.

Really, other than the "gee whiz cool!" tech-toy factor, there's not much point to a fingerprint scanner.

Hey if the myth busters beat it, then no go right? Lol, thanks for the info I really didn't know much about them.

RedTomato
Jan 24, 2008, 03:18 PM

Presentations, running a stall or booth at an exhibition or trade fair or showground, working in a strange location or a new place that you don't know well.

There are many situations where you risk having a laptop stolen while distracted for a moment. Trade fair booths are especially high risk. I've also attended large events where 2,000 - 3,000 journalists and media people are reporting on the event (global conferences and the like) and every year, several dozen laptops get stolen from the media room and from booth-holders.

doteyes9
Jan 24, 2008, 05:15 PM

My Apple Store somehow utilizes the sudden motion sensor and if it's picked up it sets off the alarm in the store. I saw someone move a MacBook a couple of inches over and the alarm went off.

freebooter
Jan 25, 2008, 09:09 AM
I took my MacBook on a 2 month trip and used the sec.slot all the time. If I left it in the hotel/guest house--like every day!--it was locked down.

No security slot? What were they thinking? :rolleyes:

spookje
Jan 26, 2008, 08:32 AM
My insurance will cover such thefts. Beside of that I think that my employer should hook me up with computer equipment any ways. I think it's ridiculous to have to bring your own computer with me to work! I once got my iPod stolen when I turned away from the table for half minute to get book from the bookcase. I was less then 2 meters away from it, they didn't steal my notebook....

brewcitywi
Jan 26, 2008, 08:38 AM
1. There are a lot of coffee shops in collegiate areas where there is a lot of studying going on...I have always felt safe leaving my computer set up while I go to the bathroom. But, I wouldn't leave an iPhone or something...and maybe the same holds true with the MacBook Air.

2. Is that a MacBook Air, or are you just happy to see me?

Ed91
Jan 26, 2008, 10:28 AM
On the very first day I got my Macbook Pro, I proudly took it to work and locked it to my desk. At the end of the day, I tried to remove it, but the lock had broken causing the combination to continuously change! My Macbook still bears the scars from my battle dismantling that piece of crap!

I'm never using a stupid lock again!

buddhahacker
Jan 27, 2008, 02:41 PM
As a security analyst my observations over the years is that these slots are worthless. Nobody takes advantage of them and if they do the security they provide is easily circumvented. They actually do more harm than good since they provide the user (<1% of the population) with a false sense of protection.

It is much better that laptop users maintain a sense of paranoia rather than a false sense of security.

Plymouthbreezer
Jan 27, 2008, 06:19 PM
I use my MBP in public settings often, and I have never locked it up.

Next year at college I'll use a lock, but for now, I have a friend watch it for me, or if I'm at the local coffee shoppe, I ask one of the workers there to watch it for me.

Either way, if I leave it unattended, and even am in the same room, I will screen lock it just to be safe and prevent casual walk by usage.

Marlon_JBT
Jan 27, 2008, 10:35 PM

Faithfully. :)

butterfly0fdoom
Jan 27, 2008, 10:39 PM
I used to use the security slot, but I found it was more trouble than it was worth. The only thing I lock up now is my external hard drive. >.>

jnc
Jan 28, 2008, 06:06 AM
It is much better that laptop users maintain a sense of paranoia rather than a false sense of security.

Agreed. Especially when a guy can just jimmy a lock off with a TP roll... hah.

ivan1234
Jan 28, 2008, 06:31 AM
I've been using laptops exclusively for years and I've never once used a lock (I either take it with me if alone or have a friend look after whenever possible). Most of my friends/family also use laptops and none of them have locks either. And because I like simplicity I'am glad apple didn't include it here because it would utterly useless to me (and for most of the target market according to apple). :)

Toe
Jan 28, 2008, 08:27 AM
Well, that's timely. This month, eWeek put out an article entitled Laptop Security in the Workplace: How to Protect Your Mobile Assets (http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Knowledge-Center/Laptop-Security-in-the-Workplace-How-to-Protect-Your-Mobile-Assets/).

Just as people in this thread have been saying: "Locks and cables should always be used to deter thieves, but, like car door locks, shouldn't be relied on exclusively."

Toe
Jan 28, 2008, 08:29 AM
Agreed. Especially when a guy can just jimmy a lock off with a TP roll... hah.
Again... prove it. Other than that unclear youtube video, I can't find any evidence that this works, nor could I replicate it with my own Kensington lock. There is a notch that has to be activated, which a piece of cardboard simply cannot trigger. My guess would be that the tp tube trick works on cheap-o generic locks. Or that the video is a hoax.

jnc
Jan 28, 2008, 08:54 AM
Again... prove it. Other than that unclear youtube video, I can't find any evidence that this works, nor could I replicate it with my own Kensington lock. There is a notch that has to be activated, which a piece of cardboard simply cannot trigger. My guess would be that the tp tube trick works on cheap-o generic locks. Or that the video is a hoax.

Whatever, it would matter to me anyway as I'm not RIDICULOUS enough to leave a $x,000 device out in the open for any length of time

iCactus
Jan 28, 2008, 06:24 PM
Well,

It must be because i'm from Québec...

I'm in Electrical engineering at the "École Polytechnique de Montréal" and I would say that in each of my classes there are about 15 laptops. Even in breaks of 10min during a class, I leave my macbook unattended for 4-5 mins as many other people are doing.

A quick check at the library and it's the same thing, if someone wanted to steal, he would get 10 in 2 mins... but I've never heard of someone who got his computer stolen at university.

I got iAlertU installed on my computer, but used it mostly for fun and not for security reasons.

DMann
Jan 28, 2008, 08:01 PM
Well,

It must be because i'm from Québec...

I'm in Electrical engineering at the "École Polytechnique de Montréal" and I would say that in each of my classes there are about 15 laptops. Even in breaks of 10min during a class, I leave my macbook unattended for 4-5 mins as many other people are doing.

A quick check at the library and it's the same thing, if someone wanted to steal, he would get 10 in 2 mins... but I've never heard of someone who got his computer stolen at university.

I got iAlertU installed on my computer, but used it mostly for fun and not for security reasons.

Completely agree - eye witnesses in a classroom environment certainly reduce the likelihood of laptop theft. Security cameras also deter this quite a bit.

sas76
Jan 28, 2008, 08:23 PM
Completely agree - eye witnesses in a classroom environment certainly reduce the likelihood of laptop theft. Security cameras also deter this quite a bit.

Everyone is talking about when you are out at a coffee shop or at school.

What do you do with your mac at home. I have my iMac cabled to my desk.
I had a ibook stolen from my house it was a terrible feeling that someone had all my pic's and vids etc. It was a great feeling when I chased down 4 out of 5 of them (number 5 had my ibook)

I agree that if someone wants something bad enough that will get it, but I am sure, security locks would stop the little pricks who break a window and quickly looks what they can grab. Look how small an air is. I think it is a mistake not to include a lock of some sort.

mmulin
Jan 29, 2008, 10:01 AM
..so nice to live in japan. leaving your stuff on the table and go to the toilet is a no brainer over here ;)

Don't panic
Jan 29, 2008, 01:10 PM
Or, you could just glue two on them to the laptop and use the cable as a loop. ;)

genius!
that way it even works as a carrier handle/strap!!!!!

kyleen66
Jan 29, 2008, 04:40 PM
I work out of my car a lot and I use the lock to cable the computer to the inside of the car. I get in and out in some sketchy kinds of areas and knowing the computer isn't easily walked off with makes me feel better.

I think it's a good thing to include and I'm really surprised they didn't.

DejanV
Jan 30, 2008, 03:46 AM
Well, Kensington is not really secure anyways...

I unlocked my pc at work in 5 seconds with my business card ! ! !

(Just for fun I tried to unlock the security cable of some other manufacturer with a paper clip, and did it in less than a minute... (and I don't have any experience of that kind anyways... viva la youtube... lol)

So if somebody wants to steal your laptop, will do it anyways...

I don't think that Apple did not think about this issue before...

Cheers

PortugaLopes
Jan 30, 2008, 07:11 AM
The security slot is, for me, absolutely essential! I normally travel with my laptop and, in hotels, most room safe deposit boxes are too small. I always leave my laptop "attached" to something that cannot be removed (or is too big to be discreetly removed...).

MadGoat
Jan 30, 2008, 09:19 AM
there's really no point in locking it up... i mean it's easy to circumvent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SkKJ4yOKo8

thegman1234
Jan 30, 2008, 10:17 AM

This proves that the lock truly is a false sense of security. Not that EVERYONE knows how to do this, but if someone does, there you go.

Toe
Jan 30, 2008, 10:53 AM

For the THIRD time in this one thread, let me say that this is not a proven hack and is probably a hoax.

I have yet to find one instance of someone validating that method of picking a Kensington lock. None.

Additionally, I have tried it, and it looks like a hoax. My Kensington lock has a notch in the top. There is no way a round key without a notch can activate the lock. So the only way that trick even possibly could work with any Kensington lock I have seen would be if he added a hard metal tab to the TP roll.

So yet again... I am pretty sure that is a hoax. TRY IT and tell me otherwise.

kyleen66
Jan 30, 2008, 11:12 AM
Thieves tend to look for "easy" targets, like say a laptop sitting alone on a table. Something they can easily walk by and pick up.

Now if the laptop is cabled, it's a bit more of a challenge. Even if they cut the cable, which is easy to do, it takes a few more seconds than just picking it up. Also, it'll likely attract the attention of people nearby.

Most crime of this sort of "opportunistic" as opposed to "planned." Meaning they probably don't have wire-cutters or a lock pick with them.

So just by having the laptop locked, you are making it more of a bother and they aren't likely take your laptop.

Now if someone is really after your laptop and wants to steal it, there is probably little you'd be able to do to stop them. Even if you were sitting there with it. You could be hit in the head and your laptop jacked.

Nothing in this world is 100% safe.

mdtsuk
Jan 31, 2008, 02:48 AM
What is it with people in this thread. Everything is not black and White!

Nobody is saying that these locks are going to stop a determined or prepared thief, nor would anyone leave a laptop in a public area unattended, locked or not. That would be asking for trouble and stupid.

But... There is a place for these locks where a small deterrent like a lock which would involve tools or more than a passing swipe will generally save your investment. Like a client's office, or where the laptop is attended but the owner is looking elsewhere or looking at books, papers, talking to someone, on the phone, etc. A little like a woman leaving a handbag on the floor by them in a bar and talking, or a laptop bag, surly we have all seen or heard this happen.

I appreciate some communities are considered safe, but so many settings in this world are not.

PortugaLopes
Jan 31, 2008, 07:10 AM
For many years now, I have been travelling with PowerBooks and have left them in hotel rooms locked up (attached to something non-removable or too heavy/big to remove), with a Kensignton-type device made by Belkin and featuring a combination lock (not a key). Never had a problem. That's why I said the little socket is essential, as we are talking about a computer that has been made to take around (not to sit on desk at home - at least, primarily).

thegman1234
Jan 31, 2008, 11:00 AM
...nor would anyone leave a laptop in a public area unattended, locked or not. That would be asking for trouble and stupid....

Dude have you read the thread? A few people have already stated how they use the lock in public places such as coffee shops so they can leave their laptop unattended.

SuperDan1348
Jan 31, 2008, 11:32 AM
Plus resellers who demo the product need it for security.

EagerDragon
Jan 31, 2008, 11:58 AM
This picture shows that the Apple store is using some kind of security device on them. Probably using the USB port, cant be sure.
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=100096&d=1201747515

foltzie
Jan 31, 2008, 12:26 PM
This picture shows that the Apple store is using some kind of security device on them. Probably using the USB port, cant be sure.

Thats certainly interesting.

It could simply set off an alarm if pulled from the port, but that would get annoying, very quickly, if it wasnt further secured in the laptop. Otherwise anyone could set the alarm of by being slightly curious.

Phil A.
Jan 31, 2008, 12:33 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

although I don't use them myself, leaving the slot off could be a big problem for some people and if you absolutely have to have a security cable, you need a different computer. The only reason I can think of for it's absence is that there's nowhere to physically fit it on the chassis

EagerDragon
Jan 31, 2008, 12:44 PM

Thats certainly interesting.

It could simply set off an alarm if pulled from the port, but that would get annoying, very quickly, if it wasnt further secured in the laptop. Otherwise anyone could set the alarm of by being slightly curious.

Yes, it must be difficult to remove otherwise it would be going off everytime someone picks it up to check the weight.

Maybe they used superglue, LOL.

Maybe some one can get a close up picture of the device?

DejanV
Feb 1, 2008, 05:01 AM
For the THIRD time in this one thread, let me say that this is not a proven hack and is probably a hoax.

I have yet to find one instance of someone validating that method of picking a Kensington lock. None.

Additionally, I have tried it, and it looks like a hoax. My Kensington lock has a notch in the top. There is no way a round key without a notch can activate the lock. So the only way that trick even possibly could work with any Kensington lock I have seen would be if he added a hard metal tab to the TP roll.

So yet again... I am pretty sure that is a hoax. TRY IT and tell me otherwise.

Well, I don't want to offend anyone, but this locks are really useless...

As you can see from previous comments, there is more than one person capable of unlocking them in this forum.

This lock presents a safety feature for the people who does not steal thing usually, but if they have a chance they do (like when a kleptomaniac see a non-locked pc). (or maybe not even those kind of people... lol)

Otherwise it is useless...

Try it yourself, take your business card, roll it up, stick it in the round hole of the lock, then just turn.... its simple as that... (in Europe this lock costs more than 40€ ! ! !)

Cheers

Toe
Feb 1, 2008, 10:51 AM
Try it yourself, take your business card, roll it up, stick it in the round hole of the lock, then just turn.... its simple as that... (in Europe this lock costs more than 40€ ! ! !)

I have tried it and I do not think it is possible with a Kensington lock.

And are you saying that every single vending machine in the world can be robbed with a business card? I find it difficult to believe, given the prevalence of unattended vending machines with the same lock mechanism.

This deserves a new thread:
Can YOU pick a KENSINGTON lock? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4874124)

whenders0n
Feb 1, 2008, 11:43 AM
ialarm?

Ishan
Feb 2, 2008, 08:44 PM
I work in an extremely secure government facility. Laptops-whether they're yours or government-issue–are left out in plain view all the time. If you bring your own laptop into the building, it has to be signed in and out every time you leave, and the laptop is associated with your picture ID/fingerprint. If somebody else tries to leave with it, they are "detained indefinitely." The security folks carry M-16s. You don't argue with them. They have no sense of humor. Nothing ever gets stolen. I should have my MBA in a week, as I think, half my department of about 200 people. The MBA is going to be very popular in some corporate situations, although I agree my work situation may be a bit more secure than others.

pianodude123
Feb 2, 2008, 08:55 PM

what if you have to go to the lieu?:confused:

Toe
Feb 3, 2008, 10:39 AM
what if you have to go to the lieu?:confused:
Hold it on your lap. Then you have something to do while you are in there... :D

DejanV
Feb 4, 2008, 03:49 AM
I have tried it and I do not think it is possible with a Kensington lock.

And are you saying that every single vending machine in the world can be robbed with a business card? I find it difficult to believe, given the prevalence of unattended vending machines with the same lock mechanism.

This deserves a new thread:
Can YOU pick a KENSINGTON lock? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4874124)

Hello,

Just give me a day or two to make a small video showing you how to unlock a Kensington if you don't believe this guy (on the video).

(I have a lots of work these days and cannot show you right now... but still I asure you, it is really easy... I saw it on youtube and did not believe at first... then I tried it and I unlocked it... )

Until then see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIQIJpOhV4c

(I use the same method...)

Cheers

Toe
Feb 4, 2008, 11:57 AM
This post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4885862&postcount=7) in the related thread clears it up somewhat.

Even within Kensington, not all locks are the same. See their security ratings (http://us.kensington.com/html/11203.html) for info.

In other words, if you spend $45 on one of their locks, you have a minor deterrent. If you spend $55, you have a somewhat better deterrent. :rolleyes:

perkelation
Feb 7, 2008, 03:32 AM
It's doesn't matter whether or not it has the security slot.

Dude have you read the thread? A few people have already stated how they use the lock in public places such as coffee shops so they can leave their laptop unattended.

I've seen laptops ripped off of those locks... Broken plastic, bent metal.

It may prevent a casual klepto from walking away with your machine, but no lock is going to prevent anyone who really wants your laptop from taking it. Don't underestimate brute force in this situation.

Frankly, I never use my lock, after what I've seen.

deniser
Feb 7, 2008, 03:40 AM
Call me sad and pessimistic, I tether mine in the house just in case I am burgled:(

retro83
Feb 9, 2008, 09:34 AM
I work in an academic institution, in a shared office. There are times where I'm out of the office but students can still get in. I feel better if my MacBook is locked.

I've seen people simply pull Macbooks from the lock. It is a visual deterrent only as far as I'm concerned.

zync
Feb 9, 2008, 10:49 AM
I've seen people simply pull Macbooks from the lock. It is a visual deterrent only as far as I'm concerned.

If you saw it, what did you do about it, huh? :D

retro83
Feb 9, 2008, 11:29 AM
If you saw it, what did you do about it, huh? :D

Sweet F A! I'm a lover, not a fighter. ;)

jnc
Feb 9, 2008, 11:35 AM
Sweet F A! I'm a coward, not a hero. ;)

Fixed :p

zync
Feb 9, 2008, 03:50 PM
Fixed :p

Nice...both of you.

tom1971
Oct 9, 2009, 07:10 AM
Hi all,

I just found this website (http://macbookairbracket.blogspot.com/) and I pre-ordered their security bracket.
It is certainly not a cheap as this solution (http://www.macgirl.net/reviews/Reviews/macbookairlockbracket.html), but it seems to be thought trough rather than something you come up with in your own workshop.

I will post a review once I received the bracket.

Scottsdale
Oct 9, 2009, 07:42 AM
Hi all,

I just found this website (http://macbookairbracket.blogspot.com/) and I pre-ordered their security bracket.
It is certainly not a cheap as this solution (http://www.macgirl.net/reviews/Reviews/macbookairlockbracket.html), but it seems to be thought trough rather than something you come up with in your own workshop.

I will post a review once I received the bracket.

Talk about waking a thread from the DEAD... Good thing you have been a member for a few years. Otherwise it would seem you're behind selling this thing.

Personally, I wouldn't put that on the hinge of my MBA. They are already weak enough, it seems this would VOID any warranty or AppleCare completely. And as long as locking, the Kensington Locks are junk and can be twisted and broken within a few seconds.

Better off just hiding the MBA. When I travel, I put the MBA in my garment bag while it's in the hotel room. Nobody is going to find it there hanging in the closet in a bag. I would trust that more than a Kensington Lock. As long as damaging the hinge potentially, might as well use a real chain and bullet proof lock attached to the device rather than a Kensington. Of course, that would be difficult to explain going through airport security.

tom1971
Oct 9, 2009, 08:54 AM
Talk about waking a thread from the DEAD... Good thing you have been a member for a few years. Otherwise it would seem you're behind selling this thing.

Personally, I wouldn't put that on the hinge of my MBA. They are already weak enough, it seems this would VOID any warranty or AppleCare completely. And as long as locking, the Kensington Locks are junk and can be twisted and broken within a few seconds.

Better off just hiding the MBA. When I travel, I put the MBA in my garment bag while it's in the hotel room. Nobody is going to find it there hanging in the closet in a bag. I would trust that more than a Kensington Lock. As long as damaging the hinge potentially, might as well use a real chain and bullet proof lock attached to the device rather than a Kensington. Of course, that would be difficult to explain going through airport security.

The problem is not hiding / securing the MBA in the hotel. I would never ever leave a computer in the hotel only secured with a Kensington. The better alternative is always to lock it away in a safe (or hide).
But when working on it on a desk at a customer site, I prefer to have a deterrent rather than nothing.

This to me is the best solution someone has come up with. There is another website http://www.applelocks.com/ (http://www.applelocks.com/index.php) that supposedly sells locks for the MBA, but they could not even give me a price for their product and it seems the only thing they have is an animation. After sending almost a dozen emails to them over months, I have given up.

adamjackson
Oct 9, 2009, 01:07 PM
I'm just trusting. My MBP 17" sits at my desk all day hooked up to a 30" LCD and I leave it there 24/7 unless I have to take it home for an intensive project.

I'll go to coffee shops two days a week and yeah leave the MacBook Air unattended. I've never had a computer stolen and I've left it in some pretty risky areas. 8 hours at a coffee shop and I've got an iPhone, headphones and power plugged in. i'll just close the lid, throw my backpack on top of it and go use the bathroom. Been doing that for the past 4+ years. no problem yet.