PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor Needing Advice - iBook

HelixOmnimedia
Jan 18, 2008, 08:50 AM
Hey,

Help me, help him...

I just found out a couple of days ago that my neighbor has a Mac, and he found out that I had a Mac... so he started asking questions. I've answered most of them, but he needs advice about hardware.

He has a: iBook G4, 768 MB DDR SDRAM, 1.33 Power PC Processor, Mac OS Version 10.3.9

He needs advice about upgrade of Hardware and Software... but I said that its probably financially better to just buy a new laptop - a MacBook. But I'd like to check with people who know better than me.

THANKS

Reflow
Jan 18, 2008, 09:28 AM
Hey,

Help me, help him...

I just found out a couple of days ago that my neighbor has a Mac, and he found out that I had a Mac... so he started asking questions. I've answered most of them, but he needs advice about hardware.

He has a: iBook G4, 768 MB DDR SDRAM, 1.33 Power PC Processor, Mac OS Version 10.3.9

He needs advice about upgrade of Hardware and Software... but I said that its probably financially better to just buy a new laptop - a MacBook. But I'd like to check with people who know better than me.

THANKS

Well it all depends on what he want to do. Is he just a basic user like just checking email and so. The first thing I would do us upgrade to 10.5 and up the memory. Also what size HDD does he have?

Batt
Jan 18, 2008, 09:42 AM
Hey,

Help me, help him...

THANKS
Actually, depending on his HD size and how much is on it, an upgrade to Leopard is all he needs.
I think it will only hold 1.25 GB of memory, which is easily done, but a hard drive change is likely to be difficult. I just upped to a MBP from a 1.42, 768MB, 80GB HD 14" iBook running Tiger. The only reason I upgraded is because I could. Gave the iBook to my daughter and she's happy as a pig in stuff.