PDA

View Full Version : need some major help with my powermac g4!

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 09:37 AM
hello,

I recently purchased 2 sticks of 512 MB if RAM from cdw.com. it is Kingston sdram and i called to make sure it was the right kind, and the guy said exactly right. So I go to put it in and my computer has three slits for memory. I had 1 stick of 256 and 1 stick of 128. So I took out the 128 and put in the 2 512's and my computer wouldn't load. It just stated on the grey apple screen without the grey spinning thing! So I took out the old ram and put the old ones back in, and it did the exact same thing! I called Kingston and they had me reset the pram and that didnt help. I am in big need of help!

Computer specs are:
733 MHz powerpc processor
~386 MB of originial RAM.
quicksilver body type.

If any one has any suggestions please post! This was my only birthday gift and I really want it to work. Btw I could post this because I used my iPod.

Thanks!

Paul

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 09:40 AM
Did you make sure you pushed the RAM in the slots all the way? Sometimes you have to shove those things in there pretty hard. Make sure the clips on either side go into the grooves on the RAM.

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 09:41 AM
Did you make sure you pushed the RAM in the slots all the way? Sometimes you have to shove those things in there pretty hard. Make sure the clips on either side go into the grooves on the RAM.

yes I pushed very hard. It is to my understanding that they close by there selves too?

Thanks

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 09:48 AM
Try resetting the PMU by pressing the PMU button. It's a little round grey button on the motherboard.

Here's a photo of what it looks like: http://www.info.apple.com/images/kbase/86760/86760_08.jpg

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 09:53 AM
Try resetting the PMU by pressing the PMU button. It's a little round grey button on the motherboard.

Here's a photo of what it looks like: http://www.info.apple.com/images/kbase/86760/86760_08.jpg

no luck. Still did the same thing after pressing the button.

Thanks

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 10:08 AM
Try unplugging all your USB devices before you turn it on. See if that works.

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 10:14 AM
Try unplugging all your USB devices before you turn it on. See if that works.

tried that with the new and old ram but it still did the same thing.

Thanks

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 10:15 AM
What monitor are you using? An Apple one? Does it have USB ports on it by any chance?

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 10:17 AM
What monitor are you using? An Apple one? Does it have USB ports on it by any chance?

I am using a planar monitor and it just has a power supply place and the monitor cord place.

Thanks

teleromeo
Jan 18, 2008, 10:19 AM
If you put back the original ram and it starts up correctly you should narrow your issue down to a problem with the new sticks. If it acts the same with the old sticks the problem is elswhere.

GhostWhoWalks
Jan 18, 2008, 10:21 AM
You may want to shine a light inside you ram connectors on the motherboard to make sure you did not accidentally grab some debris or damage them when putting the sticks in.

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 10:22 AM
Are you trying to boot into Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X? After doing some quick googling, I've found that you're not the only person with this problem.

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 10:22 AM
If you put back the original ram and it starts up correctly you should narrow your issue down to a problem with the new sticks. If it acts the same with the old sticks the problem is elswhere.

it acts the same no matter what ram and what combination I put them in with. I was going to call apple but its 50 bucks for a one time call and I just don't have that money.

Thanks

Are you trying to boot into Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X? After doing some quick googling, I've found that you're not the only person with this problem.

Os x 10.4 tiger. I can't start up without extensions in tiger.

Thanks

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 10:27 AM
Do you have your original Tiger DVD? Try booting off of it by pressing the C key when you turn it on. If you can't open the optical drive tray, try sliding something in between the outer door to open it. From there you should be able to stick a paperclip in a hole on the drive to open it.

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 10:37 AM
Do you have your original Tiger DVD? Try booting off of it by pressing the C key when you turn it on. If you can't open the optical drive tray, try sliding something in between the outer door to open it. From there you should be able to stick a paperclip in a hole on the drive to open it.

I do have the original install disc but I can't open the tray. There is no button on the drive after I open the panel but there is a tiny button under the power button that I tried hitting several times and it did nothing.
thanks

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 10:41 AM
I do have the original install disc but I can't open the tray. There is no button on the drive after I open the panel but there is a tiny button under the power button that I tried hitting several times and it did nothing.
thanksIsn't there a little hole on the drive somewhere that you can stick a paperclip into? Push it in all the way until the tray pops open. You may have to take the drive out to get at the hole though. I can't remember if the front panel door is large enough to expose the hole.

Here's an example: http://case-mods.linear1.org/i/pict2435.jpg

motulist
Jan 18, 2008, 10:45 AM
I hesitate to ask, but... did you have yourself grounded at all times when you were touching the insides of your computer?

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 10:46 AM
Isn't there a little hole on the drive somewhere that you can stick a paperclip into? Push it in all the way until the tray pops open. You may have to take the drive out to get at the hole though. I can't remember if the front panel door is large enough to expose the hole.

Here's an example: http://case-mods.linear1.org/i/pict2435.jpg

there is no hole there is just a black trey. Also, I tried holding down that little button while I started it up and it started up in open firmware or something but I can't type anything.

Thanks

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 10:46 AM
I hesitate to ask, but... did you have yourself grounded at all times when you were touching the insides of your computer?I was actually thinking about that myself. I didn't want to suggest that he fried the thing just yet though. :p

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 10:47 AM
I hesitate to ask, but... did you have yourself grounded at all times when you were touching the insides of your computer?

I did not but I did touch a grounded metal object before starting.

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 10:49 AM
there is no hole there is just a black trey. Also, I tried holding down that little button while I started it up and it started up in open firmware or something but I can't type anything.

ThanksTry taking the drive out of your Mac to open it with the paperclip. Here's a guide: http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/manuals/cdinstall/quicksilver300.pdf

Once you've done that and have the Tiger DVD in it, boot off the DVD by holding down C during boot. Once the CD has fully booted, go into the Utilities menu on the menubar and open Disk Utility. From there you can repair permissions and repair the disk. Hopefully this will fix your problem.

GhostWhoWalks
Jan 18, 2008, 10:52 AM
If you immediately press the eject button outside your drive door right after you turn your G4 on it should open for you but may close shortly after.

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 10:58 AM
If you immediately press the eject button outside your drive door right after you turn your G4 on it should open for you but may close shortly after.Yeah, but if I remember correctly, the front panel door on the Quicksilver isn't large large enough to expose the button. Plus, there's no eject button on the front panel door on the Quicksilver like there is on the Sawtooths.

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 11:11 AM
Yeah, but if I remember correctly, the front panel door on the Quicksilver isn't large large enough to expose the button. Plus, there's no eject button on the front panel door on the Quicksilver like there is on the Sawtooths.

that actually worked!!! I hit the eject button in the keyboard and it opened!! I am now in the disk utilies fixing the permissions. It had taken a while, so is it working right. Also, what exactly does this do?

Thanks!!

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 11:15 AM
that actually worked!!! I hit the eject button in the keyboard and it opened!! I am now in the disk utilies fixing the permissions. It had taken a while, so is it working right. Also, what exactly does this do?

Thanks!!Oh, wow. That's weird. I can't eject disks in my MacBook via the keyboard button until I'm in OS X. Or so I thought. I'll have to try it later.

Anyway, repairing disk permissions is always a good thing to do often when you have problems with your Mac. In most cases you won't need to boot off the DVD though. You can find the Disk Utility in your Utilities folder in your Applications folder.

Repairing the disk will find and fix any problems on your hard drive.

Please report back to let me know if it fixed the problem or not! :D

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 11:20 AM
Oh, wow. That's weird. I can't eject disks in my MacBook via the keyboard button until I'm in OS X. Or so I thought. I'll have to try it later.

Anyway, repairing disk permissions is always a good thing to do often when you have problems with your Mac. In most cases you won't need to boot off the DVD though. You can find the Disk Utility in your Utilities folder in your Applications folder.

Repairing the disk will find and fix any problems on your hard drive.

Please report back to let me know if it fixed the problem or not! :D

how long should the permission repair take? Its been about 10 minutes and it hasn't finished.

Thanks

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 11:22 AM
how long should the permission repair take? Its been about 10 minutes and it hasn't finished.

ThanksWell if this is the first time you've done it, it may take a while. I don't have any idea how long it will take though. It should definitely be less than an hour though. You won't need to let it run through the night if that's what you're worried about. :cool:

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 11:26 AM
it finished the permissions and now its doing the disk repair. What should I do after it finishes?

Thanks

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 11:27 AM
it finished the permissions and now its doing the disk repair. What should I do after it finishes?

ThanksAfter it's done, restart your Mac, but this time don't hold down the C button. Also, don't forget to cross your fingers. ;)

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 11:28 AM
I'm getting an error on the disk repair. It says the under lying task reported failure on exit. And it says it could not be repaired!!

Thanks

bigbird
Jan 18, 2008, 11:31 AM
I'm getting an error on the disk repair. It says the under lying task reported failure on exit. And it says it could not be repaired!!
Thanks

Then try Diskwarrior. It's a diagnostic and repair app that you must purchase. It may be cheaper/easier to just buy a new hard drive and start over.

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 11:32 AM
Ouch, yeah, sounds like your hard drive is on its way out. Somewhat of a weird coincidence that it'd fail after you installed different RAM though. Would you happen to have a Windows PC? If you do, I can recommend a couple of great programs to recover your files.

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 11:39 AM
this is some crap. So could I try using the restore or erase thing and maybe that would help?

Thanks

bigbird
Jan 18, 2008, 11:42 AM
this is some crap. So could I try using the restore or erase thing and maybe that would help?
Thanks

Doubt it. Disk Utility has indicated a malfunction on your hard drive. Erasing or restoring won't fix that.

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 11:42 AM

ThanksWell, are there any files on your Mac that you care about? Don't erase anything yet unless there's no important files on your Mac.

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 11:45 AM
Doubt it. Disk Utility has indicated a malfunction on your hard drive. Erasing or restoring won't fix that.

so my only option is buying a new hard drive in which I don't have the money for?? Macintosh is my life and if I don't have a computer then I might die.

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 11:47 AM
so my only option is buying a new hard drive in which I don't have the money for?? Macintosh is my life and if I don't have a computer then I might die.You can get hard drives at BestBuy. Calm down. :p Just run out somewhere and get one if you don't want to order one online and wait for it.

You can actually put two drives in your Mac at once. You can install OS X onto a new hard drive and then see if you can transfer some of your files off your old one.

EDIT: Oh wait. You don't have money. Sorry, I went right over that.

If you have a Windows PC, you could stick your hard drive in it and run SpinRite on it. But then again, SpinRite also costs money...

Or you could ship it to me and I could see if I can fix it. But that's probably not anything you'd want to do. haha

SuperCompu2
Jan 18, 2008, 11:49 AM
Oh, wow. That's weird. I can't eject disks in my MacBook via the keyboard button until I'm in OS X. Or so I thought. I'll have to try it later.

For future reference of anyone having a similar problem, you can eject a disk before boot by holding the primary mouse button down on startup. This works on both laptops and desktops.

As for the OP, sorry to see the HD failing. Luckily for you the spacious QS tower will allow you to set the old HD to slave when you get a new one, so you can grab all your info without having to invest in an external enclosure.
At least you know your RAM is fine!

Good luck!

bartelby
Jan 18, 2008, 11:51 AM
I've had the same issue with errors during disk repair. I changed the HD. But I then put the HD into my old iMac 350 and did an erase and install. The HD has been working flawlessly since. About 9 months now.

Very basically I think the issue is that Disk Utility can't replace bad blocks where the OS is if you're running the computer from that drive. The erase and install bypasses the bad blocks.

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 11:52 AM
I've had the same issue with errors during disk repair. I changed the HD. But I then put the HD into my old iMac 350 and did an erase and install. The HD has been working flawlessly since. About 9 months now.

Very basically I think the issue is that Disk Utility can't replace bad blocks where the OS is if you're running the computer from that drive. The erase and install bypasses the bad blocks.But if you boot off of the OS X DVD, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to replace all the bad blocks.

bartelby
Jan 18, 2008, 11:55 AM
But if you boot off of the OS X DVD, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to replace all the bad blocks.

Yeah, that's the bit I can't figure. I guess if they're bad blocks they can't be repaired if the OS is on the bad area. As it'd need to rewrite the info somewhere but it can't read the affected area. Does that make sense?

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 11:57 AM
Yeah, that's the bit I can't figure. I guess if they're bad blocks they can't be repaired if the OS is on the bad area. As it'd need to rewrite the info somewhere but it can't read the affected area. Does that make sense?Or the sector could be so bad that it can't even write to that area of the disk anymore.

But nonetheless, the conclusion is that you need a new hard drive. You could even get a cheap 10 GB hdd for using temporarily.

motulist
Jan 18, 2008, 11:59 AM
If you care about any of the files on your disk, then you must NOT do ANYTHING more with that computer until you've backed the disk up. And when I mean don't do anything, I mean don't do ANYTHING, not even trying to start your computer up.

bartelby
Or the sector could be so bad that it can't even write to that area of the disk anymore.

But nonetheless, the conclusion is that you need a new hard drive. You could even get a cheap 10 GB hdd for using temporarily.

Yes. An erase and install will buy you time, possibly a large amount of time. But I wouldn't trust the drive 100%

GhostWhoWalks
Can you get hold of a utility program disk that can boot your computer from the cd drive? I have had mixed results from the Mac Os X disk at resovlving disk issues. It is worth a shot before you try to erase or replace hardware. It takes a while to finish but it usually resolves odd issues such as this.

imaketouchtheme
omg!!!!

I might of fixed it!

I chose the startup disk to startup in classic, and it loaded flawlessly!!

I can do stuff in it like make photoshop pictures and stuff!! So could it still be the hd??

Thanks!!

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 12:01 PM
omg!!!!

I might of fixed it!

I chose the startup disk to startup in classic, and it loaded flawlessly!!

I can do stuff in it like make photoshop pictures and stuff!! So could it still be the hd??

Thanks!!Yeah. I'm guessing that the OS X part of your hdd has some damage.

Now back up any of your important files using OS 9.

bartelby
Jan 18, 2008, 12:01 PM
So could it still be the hd??

Thanks!!

Yes.

motulist
Jan 18, 2008, 12:03 PM
I'll say it again so my advice doesn't get lost in the mix. If you care about any files on that computer, do not pass go, do not collect $500, but you absolutely must backup your files immediately.

imaketouchtheme
Jan 18, 2008, 12:04 PM
Yeah. I'm guessing that the OS X part of your hdd has some damage.

Now back up any of your important files using OS 9.

i can't see any of the files that was on tiger? Could I just try reinstalling tiger from classic?

JSchwage
Jan 18, 2008, 03:40 PM
i can't see any of the files that was on tiger? Could I just try reinstalling tiger from classic?If there's no way to see your Tiger partition, you might want to try and see if you can access your files by booting from the Tiger DVD. I'm not sure if you can mount a partition from the DVD or not. I'd assume you could browse those files though.

Quicksilver G4
Feb 2, 2008, 03:45 PM
so my only option is buying a new hard drive in which I don't have the money for?? Macintosh is my life and if I don't have a computer then I might die.

Check the hard drive connectors, maybe one of them might be loose since you opened it.