PDA

View Full Version : PC Video Card

Dr. No
Oct 14, 2003, 10:54 PM
I have a quick quesion about a PC I am upgrading.
It is a Dell Pentium III (1 GHz) and I am going to upgrade it to XP Pro.

It has 2 graphics contollers. Which will work better w/XP:

-i815 integrated?
-ATi All In Wonder 128 Pro PCI?

Any thoughts:confused:

The ATi is old, and on the PCI bus, so I thought the integrated would be better for the XP GUI.

Or does anyone know where I could find out?

LimeiBook86
Oct 14, 2003, 11:30 PM
Well I'm not a big windows person, but umm, I'd check each of the company's web pages of that make the cards. They are probably fine with XP. I bought a graphics card for the PC and it got messed up because I had the monitor in the graphics card before setting it up. My opinion I think Macs are simpler, haha sorry I had to put that in. Good Luck!!

:D

G5orbust
Oct 14, 2003, 11:48 PM
both those options are crap and will do you no good with winXP, though it you have to keep your current card, keep the PCI graphics card.

Best option: Drop 100 bucks on this (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305452&pfp=BROWSE) sucker and youll be on your way to PCI graphics card heaven in windows xp.

Dr. No
Oct 15, 2003, 12:01 AM
...I think the computer has an AGP port...

The system is not mine...

I do not know why Dell would use PCI instead of AGP in a Gigahertz machine...

FuzzyBallz
Oct 15, 2003, 12:14 AM
Because it's cheaper to use integrated components instead of dishing out for extra components. Less components = more profit for Dell.

Since you're only running a P3 w/ limited bandwidth, it's a pointless to waste a hundred trying to buff it up. A $44 GeForce4 MX card from newegg.com will be more than efficient for whatever you'll do w/ the system.