PDA

View Full Version : opinions about MBA for college

abcdefGARY
Jan 19, 2008, 02:06 AM
Post deleted.

heatmiser
Jan 19, 2008, 02:28 AM
Bad idea. Get a Macbook. Your future self will thank you for your better judgement.

Chaszmyr
Jan 19, 2008, 02:33 AM
It's a bad idea unless you can connect your own wireless router to the school's ethernet (which I don't see why you couldn't). If you can use your own router, you can afford the Air, and you want it, go for it. You'll also need the external disc drive too, though, so it will be costing you twice as much as a MacBook.. just be sure you want to pay all that extra for a slimmer lighter more attractive machine.

doubleohseven
Jan 19, 2008, 02:38 AM
Bad idea. Get a Macbook. Your future self will thank you for your better judgement.

I agree. The MacBook is still a light and portable computer, and also attractive (the white stands out).

The MacBook has an ethernet port built in, so you don't have to sacrifice one USB port for it if you were to have a MacBook Air.

Also, the MBA costs a lot more than a MacBook, even though it has a smaller processor, smaller hard drive, less ports and no optical drive built in (you will have to buy it separately, and it uses the only USB port you've got).

ProPedderKustom
Jan 19, 2008, 02:46 AM
Don't let these guys get you down. I am also a college student. I have always loved ultraportables and my needs seem to be very similar to yours. I have had various Sony and IBM ultraportables and loved them all. Yes they are extremely expensive, but I can afford them and I like having what I want - PERIOD.

This computer will be great for you and I and we can have a club to love our MBAs...and the other guys can stay in their club for "MBA is too expensive and you should have gotten a MB because we say it is better for you". A lot of people don't understand what you and I see - that we are willing to be extra, even a lot extra, to actually get what we wants / what meets our needs. I don't need a ton of power to do what I need but I need battery power, style, and light and thin package.

albert1028
Jan 19, 2008, 02:49 AM
If you have the cash, get a Imac and use the MBA as your secondary class taking notes computer, then you are set.

CrusaderKnight
Jan 19, 2008, 02:51 AM
most colleges are wireless these days. I'll be getting a MBA, which I have an iMac already to go with it, and I'll also be using it for the same stuff.

gavd
Jan 19, 2008, 02:57 AM
It's a bad idea unless you can connect your own wireless router to the school's ethernet (which I don't see why you couldn't). If you can use your own router, you can afford the Air, and you want it, go for it. You'll also need the external disc drive too, though, so it will be costing you twice as much as a MacBook.. just be sure you want to pay all that extra for a slimmer lighter more attractive machine.

I think the idea about your own wireless router is a good one. Failing that, if you're going to have to be hooked up by a cable to access the network I don't see the problem in using a USB hub.

shoulin333
Jan 19, 2008, 03:14 AM
ya, use a powered USB hub... leave everythign plugged into that, then blam!! one wire and everything is connected.....

...well maybe 2 if you want external speakers

... wait,... 3... power cord.. but you get the picture hah

Osarkon
Jan 19, 2008, 03:58 AM
I'd still recommend the Macbook over the Macbook air, although it's heavier it gives you so much more in terms of connectivity, and as you said you'd be importing music I imagine that optical drive will prove itself very useful to you.

Also as a point worth noting, the Macbook has gone through a few revisions and has most if not all of the kinks worked out of it.

The macbook air is still a first revision, so you can probably expect there to be some minor problems. Not something you want to be dealing with in college.

katorga
Jan 19, 2008, 04:01 AM
3lbs is pretty compelling. You will notice the difference hauling it around. The LED screen will definitely outclass the normal MB screen.

But, with a macbook you can easily upgrade the disk to a larger, faster model (I think it is SATA), and you can have 4GB of memory. My wife's MB is pretty sweet, but 5lbs is kind of heavy for that size/class of notebook.

It is a tough call.

neiltc13
Jan 19, 2008, 04:07 AM
2lb is really not that much when you consider all the other stuff most students carry around.

MacBook Air is a computer using tech from two years ago for a several hundred dollar price premium. It's only slightly thinner than the MacBook at its thickest point and requires the same size of bag to carry because it is the same width and depth.

MacBook Air is NOT an ultraportable. If you got a MacBook then you could spend that extra money on an external display for your room which you could couple with an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and work comfortably with.

$1799 for a computer which doesn't beat the ORIGINAL MacBook is really asking too much. Remember, the new MacBook had a major revision a few months ago where they added much more powerful speakers, media keys and a much better graphics chip.

If you get MacBook Air then it will sound like a PSP or an iPhone. It has just one mono speaker and will be very, very tinny.

In short: MacBook Air is a waste of money.

IDANNY
Jan 19, 2008, 04:22 AM
it seems like it would be really cool for college, if it only had a bigger drive. Just get a usb hub, I dont really see the lack of ports or optical drive as a problem, the only port that I feel is missing is one of the firewire's.

gothamm
Jan 19, 2008, 04:35 AM
This might come across as a bit abrasive...actually it probably is...

Quit being such a pansy. your 12 inch vaio is a pain to carry around on campus? poor you. i guess those textbooks that weigh 5 lbs don't bother you as much as having to "drag" that hunk of junk around?

Get the Macbook. The MB is time tested and is easily one of the best laptops ever made. you just can NOT go wrong with it. But...how will you ever deal with the burden of hauling an extra 2 lbs of weight.:rolleyes:

mrsk
Jan 19, 2008, 05:00 AM
If you have an iMac or a Mac Pro to do all your work at home with, I'd say go for it.

However, if this will be your main computer, save yourself some money and buy a normal MacBook. They're faster and cheaper. A bit heavier, granted, but they're still Apple laptops, i.e. they're still quite light and portable. With the cash you've saved, you might as well get an external display for working at home. MAkes it so much more comfortable IMHO ;)

So yeah, if you don't own a "real" computer already, buy a standard MacBook. The MBA really only is a secondary computer.

Edit:
Oh, and don't underestimate the need for performance when doing normal college work. My laptop does get quite sluggish when I have to write term papers, thanks to several instances of Powerpoint, Word, Acrobat reader, Outlook, Firefox etcetera. People always think "yeah, I don't use <insert memory /CPU heavy app>, so I don't need the performance", but running a ton of not so memory /CPU intensive stuff will slow your machine down as well.
Might be a lot better on Mac OS, but working with Windows, it can get hellishly slow.

Catch
Jan 19, 2008, 05:48 AM
2lb is really not that much when you consider all the other stuff most students carry around.

:eek: thats kind of the point though is it not? "All the other stuff most students carry around" is exactly why a 2lb reduction is important... Personally, thats the ONLY reason I ordered it. :)

I do agree with the poster above though regarding the fact that this is new technology. It is always a gamble to buy into revision 1 hardware. If you are prepared to take that risk then the MBA with a powered USB hub should be perfect for you...

C

neiltc13
Jan 19, 2008, 05:52 AM
:eek: thats kind of the point though is it not? "All the other stuff most students carry around" is exactly why a 2lb reduction is important... Personally, thats the ONLY reason I ordered it. :)

I do agree with the poster above though regarding the fact that this is new technology. It is always a gamble to buy into revision 1 hardware. If you are prepared to take that risk then the MBA with a powered USB hub should be perfect for you...

C

Well if my bag weighs 20lb then dropping 2lb is only losing me 10%. Every day I'd still be carrying 90% of the weight I was before. The weight reduction could probably be better achieved in another area where it doesn't cost several hundred dollars.

kaiwai
Jan 19, 2008, 06:03 AM
Question: Do American students just have a few grand sitting around behind their sofa? geeze, when I went off to university I was told "buy it yourself" when it came to my computer.

Kids these days, so spoilt and parents willing to throw around money at the drop of a hat.

Catch
Jan 19, 2008, 06:03 AM
Well if my bag weighs 20lb then dropping 2lb is only losing me 10%. Every day I'd still be carrying 90% of the weight I was before. The weight reduction could probably be better achieved in another area where it doesn't cost several hundred dollars.

Thats your opinion. I used to do allot of mountaineering. On some routes we even dropped potentially life saving equipment that only weighed a few hundred grams. There are people out there that put a big $$$ price on weight reduction. I do because I hate carrying around something heavy between meetings. Could I do it? Obviously I could, but why would I want to given a choice? Don't forget the people out there, older executives for instance, mobility challenged people would be another group, that might find it physically hard to carry ANY weight...

At the end of the day, if weight and volume is not important to you why on earth would you want a MBA? I'd take a 15" Pro machine any day if it was not for size and weight. The MacBook is not a big enough weight saving for me to drop the power of the Pro... just my own personal opinion all this mind you. :)

C

Brianstorm91
Jan 19, 2008, 06:06 AM
Get a MacBook, you'll be glad for that extra money when you need it.

skyrider007
Jan 19, 2008, 06:52 AM
Get a MacBook, you'll be glad for that extra money when you need it.

i agree

ahaxton
Jan 19, 2008, 09:02 AM
From the OP's first post, I think he'd enjoy a MBA more so than the entry level MacBook.

zioxide
Jan 19, 2008, 10:07 AM

READ THAT

If 2lbs is such a big deal, you'd be better off using the $500 saved by purchasing a macbook and putting it towards a gym membership.

ahaxton
Jan 19, 2008, 10:11 AM
Question: Do American students just have a few grand sitting around behind their sofa? geeze, when I went off to university I was told "buy it yourself" when it came to my computer.

Kids these days, so spoilt and parents willing to throw around money at the drop of a hat.

I think college students today have more access to money. A lot of kids these days are working bigger jobs in college, not just serving or bartending. Also a large percentage are making spare money or significant amount of money online.

READ THAT

If 2lbs is such a big deal, you'd be better off using the $500 saved by purchasing a macbook and putting it towards a gym membership.

I workout 4 days a week, and I find the MacBook Air to be much more portable than a MacBook. MacBook's are like a big textbook when you think about it. A lot of College kids on campuses don't carry bags all day long around, so if they can just slip in a lightweight laptop with a notebook they are all set.

freebooter
Jan 19, 2008, 10:15 AM
How feeble are you that an extra pound or two is that onerous? Sorry but I think marketing may have you hypnotised. Resistance makes you strong! Get a MacBook for god's sake! The MBA is a cripple, however pretty.
[note, it's late here and honest opinions leak out]

Collin973
Jan 19, 2008, 10:17 AM
Anyways, the colleges I've been to won't let you put your own wireless routers in dorm rooms. I don't know why they won't, but they aren't allowed.

I would definitely get an MBA, as long as I had another machine to go along with it. I currently have an MBP that I don't like carrying around with all of my books. Everything just gets too heavy.

A macbook weighs 4.6lbs, correct? That's still a bit for me in my situation.

So, I just bought an iPod touch to take with me to school. So, while I'm waiting between classes, I can check my email, surf the web, organize assignments, etc. That was the best bet for me.

I'm not big on typing notes in class. I think you learn more writing notes down the old fashion way and having access to AOL and the internet was much too tempting, especially when the professor gets a little boring. Have a laptop in class is definitely distracting. I've sat behind many people play solitare, talking to their friends, watch videos online, surfing ebay and those kids are the ones who complain when they get a C.

Appreciated.

Capt. Morgan
Jan 19, 2008, 10:20 AM
READ THAT

I think you are confusing ability with desire. On the surface, two pounds is nothing. Until you start doing it on a daily basis. Then, two pounds can be the difference between taking it - or leaving it home.

I work as a pilot and routinely have to carry around about 75 pounds of stuff: luggage with 4-5 days of clothes (work, leisure, and workout), headsets, required charts and manuals, etc. (Next time you are at an airport, notice the what the pilots are carrying.) When I pack for a trip, I often leave my digital camera at home - because of the extra weight! So in this context, a 5 pound computer doesn't make the cut - but three pounds will.

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 19, 2008, 10:24 AM
This might come across as a bit abrasive...actually it probably is...

Quit being such a pansy. your 12 inch vaio is a pain to carry around on campus? poor you. i guess those textbooks that weigh 5 lbs don't bother you as much as having to "drag" that hunk of junk around?

Get the Macbook. The MB is time tested and is easily one of the best laptops ever made. you just can NOT go wrong with it. But...how will you ever deal with the burden of hauling an extra 2 lbs of weight.:rolleyes:

I rarely bring my text books to class, if ever. :cool:

Anyways, the colleges I've been to won't let you put your own wireless routers in dorm rooms. I don't know why they won't, but they aren't allowed.

I would definitely get an MBA, as long as I had another machine to go along with it. I currently have an MBP that I don't like carrying around with all of my books. Everything just gets too heavy.

So, I just bought an iPod touch to take with me to school. So, while I'm waiting between classes, I can check my email, surf the web, organize assignments, etc. That was the best bet for me.

I'm not big on typing notes in class. I think you learn more writing notes down the old fashion way and having access to AOL and the internet was much too tempting, especially when the professor gets a little boring. Have a laptop in class is definitely distracting. I've sat behind many people play solitare, talking to their friends, watch videos online, surfing ebay and those kids are the ones who complain when they get a C.

Appreciated.

Yep, I have a 12 inch ibook and i still don't take computer notes in class. I just prefer to write them down i guess. And you know what's weird, is I rarely actually review them. I think just writing it down makes me remember the material. Go figure. :)

Catch
Jan 19, 2008, 10:30 AM

If you do not get it then I will not waste my time trying to explain it to you...

C

Dybbuk
Jan 19, 2008, 10:40 AM

Every time a college student buys a computer someone decides to post this. Why do you care?

Keane Fan
Jan 19, 2008, 10:59 AM
Every time a college student buys a computer someone decides to post this. Why do you care?
Probably jealously. lol. I am in the same position as the OP. My mom wants to buy whatever is best for me. And in actuality, Mac prices are a LOT cheaper than Sony Vaio's which is what I originally wanted. The vaoi I wanted was gonna cost around $3000 so that's why I am looking at macs now in the first place. And seriously, those 2 lbs do make a difference.. and to tell you the truth, I am planning on toting it around in a... pretty expensive tote, and I don't want it to ruin my bag. I tried toting my sister's macbook in it and it's relatively heavy.

iDAG
Jan 19, 2008, 11:03 AM
I would say get the MacBook Air only if you have a room mate that wouldn't mined if you used there computer for your disk drive and if you could get access to the internet wirelessly which I'm confused to if you can or not. If you can't do either of these things, get a MacBook.

ahaxton
Jan 19, 2008, 11:41 AM
How feeble are you that an extra pound or two is that onerous? Sorry but I think marketing may have you hypnotised. Resistance makes you strong! Get a MacBook for god's sake! The MBA is a cripple, however pretty.
[note, it's late here and honest opinions leak out]

I think it makes sense the MBA would attract College students. Something thats really thin would probably motivate someone to actually use a computer for notes. Something bulky and you'd probably just want to use paper. Closer the keyboard and all is to the desk itself I think is whats attractive.

Catch
Jan 19, 2008, 11:52 AM
I don't really understand the problem with the ethernet adaptor. I guess it must boil down to using the USB port right? You will still have to plug the wire into your computer back at your room, so just leave the adapter connected to the cable. Best solution would seem to leave ALL your peripherals plugged into a powered port. One cable connection and you are set!

C

abcdefGARY
Jan 19, 2008, 12:03 PM
Post deleted.

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 19, 2008, 12:08 PM
sorry for being a "pansy" then.

but yeah, the main reason I'm interested in the MBA is the weight without sacrificing the screen size. My current vaio is around 5.3 lbs with the battery and the Macbook is only .3 less than that at 5 lbs. not much of a huge difference. But the MBA is weighted at a difference of 2 lbs, and to me, that is quite satisfactory, not to mention the space I would have leftover in my backpack.

see, if I could shrink my textbooks, I would. And if I could shrink my laptop, I would.

I don't think you understand the amount of walking that students do everyday while carrying around school materials. To add to that, I don't have a car like many others do.

anyways, I probably won't get one because it is far too expensive. And if I were to get one, I would have to buy all these other accessories (ethernet adapter, USB hubs, etc.).

You might have a car if you didn't spend 2000 on a laptop. Here in San Diego, you can get a car for 500 bucks, that runs.

Catch
Jan 19, 2008, 12:12 PM
I don't think you understand the amount of walking that students do everyday while carrying around school materials. To add to that, I don't have a car like many others do.

Good for you. Your heart will thank you in years to come. I was in your situation with my campus being spread out all over London. Those books were thick! Get the MBA and never look back. :)

C

meagain
Jan 19, 2008, 12:13 PM

It has just one mono speaker and will be very, very tinny.

OMG - You just contradicted yourself on the first line. That's EXACTLY why 2 pounds makes a difference! When you're carrying other stuff! And surely the thinness will help more than a smaller footprint, yet thicker laptop to boot.

Were you at MacWorld auditioning the Air's sound? Or have one in the home cuz you're special? Let me guess..... no.

heatmiser
Jan 19, 2008, 12:17 PM
You might have a car if you didn't spend 2000 on a laptop. Here in San Diego, you can get a car for 500 bucks, that runs.

You mean 500 of the 700 you'd spend getting an MBA over an MB? :D

briantology
Jan 19, 2008, 03:25 PM
My vote would be for just a MacBook because you have more options and get more for your money (and don't have to spend as much either). IMO, the Air seems like it's for the Pros or people with a computer or workstation already and want a portable also. Don't get me wrong, the Air is sleek and sexy and thin, but if it will be your only machine, I'd go with a MB.

rockthecasbah
Jan 19, 2008, 03:42 PM
I won't even get into this whole argument about lugging stuff around college other than to say the MacBook Air is definitely lighter, and if portability is a major factor, it wins that category.

You (OP) seem to be in the same situation as me. I'm likely going to Drexel though which has a fully wireless campus so i shouldn't have to worry about the Ethernet problem. Get a small USB hub to carry around with you so you can plug in an ethernet adapter, iPod, printer, or what-have-you when you need it.

kaiwai
Jan 19, 2008, 09:41 PM

Has nothing to do with people purchasing it; it has to do with the posters PARENTS paying for it. My parents have more money than a bull can ****, but I was told that if I wanted a computer, I buy it myself. Books? I buy myself. Its called being an adult; you're 18 years old, get a part time job and pay your own way, find a flat, and flat with a whole group of friends.

Why is it an issue? because there is a generation of kids out there who don't know the first damn thing about taking responsibility for decisions one makes. If your mummy and daddy pays for everything - when are you going to finally step up to the crease?

jnc
Jan 19, 2008, 10:53 PM
USB hub dude.
:)

.Andy
Jan 19, 2008, 11:00 PM
Has nothing to do with people purchasing it; it has to do with the posters PARENTS paying for it. My parents have more money than a bull can ****, but I was told that if I wanted a computer, I buy it myself. Books? I buy myself. Its called being an adult; you're 18 years old, get a part time job and pay your own way, find a flat, and flat with a whole group of friends.

Why is it an issue? because there is a generation of kids out there who don't know the first damn thing about taking responsibility for decisions one makes. If your mummy and daddy pays for everything - when are you going to finally step up to the crease?
Did you also have to walk to school uphill both ways in the snow?

ktbubster
Jan 19, 2008, 11:01 PM
1 powered USB hub and the ethernet adapter solves all problems. 1 plug and POOF done.

Student price for the MBA is 1699 btw ... for anyone who doesn't know that. If it even matters. :)

GL though

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 19, 2008, 11:05 PM

Someone sounds bitter. Dude lighten up, if his parents pay for stuff more power to him. It's none of your business who pays for what. :cool:

jnc
Jan 19, 2008, 11:19 PM

How do they tell? For me, it'd be essential as I need wifi for iPt, Wii, DS etc. If anything I'd plug my Mac in and use Internet Sharing to broadcast the connection. They can't do a damn thing about that.

I wish! Nov 2007 MacBooks weigh 5.0lbs, their older brothers weigh 5.1 lbs... yet to reach the <5lb category.

Block
Jan 19, 2008, 11:32 PM
What major are you? Many science and engineering majors oftentimes find that they have to install additional software in order to go through with their education. These softwares can be very taxing, but if you don't mind slow speed than a MBA would be perfect for you. If you do mind it, a MB or MBP might be better.

If you have the money to upgrade the MBA's hard drive, than I would say go for that. Otherwise, the default hard drive might give you more headaches than it is worth.

jnc
Jan 19, 2008, 11:46 PM
What major are you? Many science and engineering majors oftentimes find that they have to install additional software in order to go through with their education. These softwares can be very taxing, but if you don't mind slow speed than a MBA would be perfect for you. If you do mind it, a MB or MBP might be better.

If you have the money to upgrade the MBA's hard drive, than I would say go for that. Otherwise, the default hard drive might give you more headaches than it is worth.

A 1.6Ghz Core 2 Duo is going to be a boatload better than the majority of education software sysreqs. I doubt the guy is taking engineering if he's considering a MBA.

heatmiser
Jan 20, 2008, 12:03 AM
How do they tell? For me, it'd be essential as I need wifi for iPt, Wii, DS etc. If anything I'd plug my Mac in and use Internet Sharing to broadcast the connection. They can't do a damn thing about that.

It's pretty easy to tell from the IT end. They won't care if it doesn't affect other computers on the network, but if any student complains of speed or connection issues, it's a simple job to check for things like user-end wireless nodes. If they're in violation of network policy, you could easily lose internet access. Not worth it, really.

Beowulf666
Jan 20, 2008, 01:18 AM
sounds to me like you're getting the MBA just because of its looks, and if that's the case, then you're really just wasting your own money, but hey, it's your money so knock yourself out.

Sounds like you only really need a macbook though.

echozoom
Jan 20, 2008, 01:40 AM
I too am considering the MacBook Air, as a university student. I have typed my notes for many years and always look for the thinnest and lightest notebook I can afford. From all of the posts that I have read since the Keynote, it has become clear that many people simply fail to understand the point of this notebook because they don't take weight issue into account. The weight of a computer, binders, and books adds up! Some people need the lightest weight possible and if all they are doing is internet browsing, iTunes, and word processing, having the fastest processor and such becomes irrelevant.

Of course, I also have a PowerMac G5 so that makes it easier to give up certain feature on my portable machine.

Block
Jan 20, 2008, 01:42 AM
A 1.6Ghz Core 2 Duo is going to be a boatload better than the majority of education software sysreqs. I doubt the guy is taking engineering if he's considering a MBA.

I was mainly referring to the slower hard drive. A lot of research labs prefer their undergraduate researchers to be able to store a portion of their data on their personal computers (so they can work on it elsewhere, etc.), and sometimes programs like to open up a lot of data files at once to assess/analyze information. Of course the MBA would be able to handle it, but it would be at a slower rate in comparison to the other options (hence why I recommended a HD upgrade).

But I agree with you that the processor is more than enough to handle most educational programs.

lbeaumont
Jan 20, 2008, 02:00 AM
This all comes down to a personal preference, really.

But as another poster said, when you carry more books that weigh a lot more than a computer, a measly 2 pounds wont make a difference. If you find the MB too heavy, you need to harden up IMO.

Then again, a lot of my books are available electronically, so that too makes life easier.

If I had to choose - MB.

When I start uni in a month, I am going the MBP though.

e12a
Jan 20, 2008, 03:16 AM
if it were between the MBA and MB, i'd take the MB (black) any day over it. So much more power and HD space, I could care less if it could fit in an envelope.

alas, i have the MBP which I am happy with.

Catch
Jan 20, 2008, 04:20 AM
But as another poster said, when you carry more books that weigh a lot more than a computer, a measly 2 pounds wont make a difference.

It just amazes me how people can come out with a statement like that again and again. That is EXACTLY when it makes a difference...

If you know the limitations and you can live with them get the MBA over the MB every time. If weight and size is no problem go for the MBP. If you need editing applications, go for the MBP. If you are on a budget and need a chunkier more durable laptop (my experience), then go for the MB. If you need a portable editing facility for location production of video, go for the 17" MBP every time. IF you rip allot of music and watch DVD on the go then buy a MB.

C

lbeaumont
Jan 20, 2008, 04:30 AM
It just amazes me how people can come out with a statement like that again and again. That is EXACTLY when it makes a difference...

Again it comes down to personal opinions. Say you have 10 pounds of books and a MB, to go to an air it is still 8 pounds, that is a minuscule difference when you look at the bigger picture.

Catch
Jan 20, 2008, 04:43 AM
Again it comes down to personal opinions. Say you have 10 pounds of books and a MB, to go to an air it is still 8 pounds, that is a minuscule difference when you look at the bigger picture.

What if you have a disability that only allows you to comfortably carry 8lbs. Do you still think that those extra 2lbs are miniscule when you 'look at the big picture'?

I have two kids and no disabilities. I gym regularly and cycle 10 miles almost every day before I go into the office. I rock climb, ski, scuba dive and various other things. Will an extra 2lbs kill me or make me miss meetings? No. If I have the choice walking down the road with 2lbs less in my hand, I don't wear a rucksack to business meetings, its worth a premium to me as well as some others.

C

lbeaumont
Jan 20, 2008, 04:53 AM
We are talking about regular uni/college students though. Ofcourse the 2lbs in your disability scenario makes a difference, but to me anyway, I would rather take the two extra pounds for the MBs performance.

Catch
Jan 20, 2008, 04:58 AM
We are talking about regular uni/college students though. Ofcourse the 2lbs in your disability scenario makes a difference, but to me anyway, I would rather take the two extra pounds for the MBs performance.

Good for you. If I was a student, presuming I was not rich, I would probably take the MB as well. I would take the money I saved and hang out with my buddies in the student bar, take my girl out for a few meals, buy some music, go on a road trip and all that, but then again when I was a student I was in to motorcycles and parties more than technology. Those were the days!

The point is that anyone in their right mind looking at the MBA is weight and volume conscious...

Regards,

C

kaiwai
Jan 20, 2008, 08:45 PM
Someone sounds bitter. Dude lighten up, if his parents pay for stuff more power to him. It's none of your business who pays for what. :cool:

The fact that in 3 years time he'll be yet another slave to the state expecting instead nanny state to wipe his behind instead of his parents. Over dependency on parents result in a need for nanny state later on. It wouldn't be so bad if he was pathetic in his own right, but when I'm forced to pay for this patheticness via taxation, that's what I don't like.

Oh, and all I'm saying, if he was my kid, I'd give him an interest free loan, but I wouldn't just him something off the bat; and I'd make him pay for his education as well. Nothing like thousands of dollars sitting over ones head as a good incentive not to stuff around at university.

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 20, 2008, 08:55 PM
The fact that in 3 years time he'll be yet another slave to the state expecting instead nanny state to wipe his behind instead of his parents. Over dependency on parents result in a need for nanny state later on. It wouldn't be so bad if he was pathetic in his own right, but when I'm forced to pay for this patheticness via taxation, that's what I don't like.

Oh, and all I'm saying, if he was my kid, I'd give him an interest free loan, but I wouldn't just him something off the bat; and I'd make him pay for his education as well. Nothing like thousands of dollars sitting over ones head as a good incentive not to stuff around at university.

Well then perhaps it is better he is NOT your kid. :cool:

gescom
Jan 20, 2008, 08:56 PM
Don't put the MBA on a stack of college term papers or you could lose it!!! :D

Sesshi
Jan 20, 2008, 09:09 PM
As other people have said, the MBA is not really your main computer. It's not even that great, general specs-wise, as a second computer. But it's the lightest Mac there's ever been.

As Catch has repeated, you don't have to be a weakling to appreciate a machine in the MBA form / weight factor. The sole reason many of you don't get this is because the Applezombies have never had an OSX computer of this weight class and you've never had experience of a computer that's actually all-day portable, something that we in the Windows world have pretty much taken for granted for a few years.

I'd echo the suggestion for an iMac/MBA combo if funds allow. But if the MBA is going to be your sole computer, no matter how much you want to show it off I'd say think carefully before you buy - You could be seriously compromising utility for portability which you'll regret down the line.

Personally, I would say that what a Uni student needs from a computer is a level of versatility that the MBA isn't designed to offer. I would say that the MBA is designed for people like us - professionals who need a notetaking / messaging / other light-use OSX machine on the move who already have other computers. In that vein, I'd say that a Macbook Pro would be a better choice if this is going to be your main and only machine.

sounds to me like you're getting the MBA just because of its looks, and if that's the case, then you're really just wasting your own money, but hey, it's your money so knock yourself out.

Sounds like you only really need a macbook though.

Which is in effect a prettified entry-level Dell running a prettified OS. Pot kettle black and all that ;)

eba
Jan 20, 2008, 09:13 PM
I'd be careful about buying a MBA for college. Unless you know exactly what your computing needs will be for the next couple of years, you can't be sure that the MBA will meet them.

jnc
Jan 20, 2008, 09:36 PM
I'd be careful about buying a MBA for college. Unless you know exactly what your computing needs will be for the next couple of years, you can't be sure that the MBA will meet them.

You could say that about any machine =|

aiongiant
Jan 20, 2008, 09:39 PM

i agree and hopefully not just students that do this LOL

in my experince theres 2 main uses most students do on thier laptops

1st it's mainly for IM, word processing, photos, etc
which the mba can easily handle and u can always get the $99 option for the superdrive if needed to rip cds or watch dvds

2nd uses is games/video editing/audio compositing + all the other stuff above
it's a macbook pro for you.

and lastly
if your on a small budget... and ALOT of students are
then the macbook is for YOU!

eba
Jan 20, 2008, 09:51 PM

You could say that about any machine =|

True. I just thought it went without saying that the MBA makes more compromises than most machines.

q123123
Jan 20, 2008, 10:52 PM
quick question

while everyone is talking about how the mba is 700 more expensive... people dont think about the fact that the good macbook that everyone loves (the black one) is actually only a lil less expensive than the mba. anyways i was just thinking that.

on another completely different thing:

300 bux to upgrade mba cpu .2 is it worth it?
im a pc guy so i dont know how well macs run , is .2 gonna make a big difference? i dont use it for gaming (i have a ps3 and 360 for that) i mostly download movies, write papers, and go online. occasionally i use my slingbox program to watch tv in class ^^ should i go for the 1.8 ?

BOSS10L
Jan 20, 2008, 11:02 PM
I just can't understand the logic. I understand that there is a viable market out there for the MBA, the question is, how many of those people believe that the MBA is worth it's current price? Look at the iPhone. I feel really bad for all those early adopters who were shafted by the price-drop. What happens after the initial rush is over and Apple realizes they can't sell these things and then drops the price on the MBA?

The OP is a college student. With the HE discount, the MBA is $100 cheaper than the MBP. As others have noted, you're talking about a 2lb difference between the MBA and MB, and a 2.4lb difference between the MBA and MBP. The average student will be carrying around 20-30lbs of books/supplies at any given time, so what does 2lbs matter?

I'm a "non-traditional" returning student in a week, and honestly, the $700 difference between the MB and MBA isn't a major issue for me, but I just can't rationalize spending that $700 in order to purchase an inferior machine, just because it weighs a few pounds lighter.

Based on the OP's comments, it sounds to me like he wants it for the "coolness" factor. I freely admit that I'm a little out of the loop as to what is "hip" these days, but pissing away $700 just for the sake of it doesn't ever seem as though it should be "in".

Just my .02 GHz...

aiongiant
Jan 20, 2008, 11:31 PM
quick question

while everyone is talking about how the mba is 700 more expensive... people dont think about the fact that the good macbook that everyone loves (the black one) is actually only a lil less expensive than the mba. anyways i was just thinking that.

on another completely different thing:

300 bux to upgrade mba cpu .2 is it worth it?
im a pc guy so i dont know how well macs run , is .2 gonna make a big difference? i dont use it for gaming (i have a ps3 and 360 for that) i mostly download movies, write papers, and go online. occasionally i use my slingbox program to watch tv in class ^^ should i go for the 1.8 ?

i decided it wasn't enought of a difference for me
that small of a margin isn't worth the increase in price approx $300CDN for me i rather spend the $300 on a really reallly relallllyy nice sleeve LOL jk

heatmiser
Jan 20, 2008, 11:39 PM
I just can't understand the logic. I understand that there is a viable market out there for the MBA, the question is, how many of those people believe that the MBA is worth it's current price? Look at the iPhone. I feel really bad for all those early adopters who were shafted by the price-drop. What happens after the initial rush is over and Apple realizes they can't sell these things and then drops the price on the MBA?

The OP is a college student. With the HE discount, the MBA is $100 cheaper than the MBP. As others have noted, you're talking about a 2lb difference between the MBA and MB, and a 2.4lb difference between the MBA and MBP. The average student will be carrying around 20-30lbs of books/supplies at any given time, so what does 2lbs matter?

I'm a "non-traditional" returning student in a week, and honestly, the $700 difference between the MB and MBA isn't a major issue for me, but I just can't rationalize spending that $700 in order to purchase an inferior machine, just because it weighs a few pounds lighter.

Based on the OP's comments, it sounds to me like he wants it for the "coolness" factor. I freely admit that I'm a little out of the loop as to what is "hip" these days, but pissing away $700 just for the sake of it doesn't ever seem as though it should be "in".

Just my .02 GHz...

There's very little logic *in* this thread; it's mostly people trying to justify the existence of the MBA without regard to the reality of a college student's needs. I'm graduating in six months, and if I've learned anything in the past four years, it's how hard money can be to come by in college, and how little "flash" means at the end of the day. I wish more people here would stop selfishly answering why they'd like an MBA, and instead offer the guy some decent advice on buying a reliable computer to last him for a couple of years without his needing to buy a dozen accessories to make full use of it. It's a bit frustrating to see how much bad advice has been given, but maybe this is one of those things people have to learn for themselves.

abcdefGARY
Jan 20, 2008, 11:57 PM
Post deleted.

ProPedderKustom
Jan 21, 2008, 12:15 AM

Just my .02 GHz...

It's not an inferior machine if it does everything you want it to!

I will buy a MBA because it does everything I need with great power, sexy design, great battery life, and OS X Leopard. Sure there are faster machines, but this one will be very fast for my uses and the smiles to dollar ratio will be very high for me, a 20 year old college student.

I guess it just depends what you look for and need. I will pay a premium to get what makes me happy, satisfied, and productive. I don't want a MB because it looks clunky and cheap [plastic] to me. The MBP is too big for me to carry in my nice carry-ons and will be too tall when it is open when the person on the airline in front of my reclines his/her seat and I'm trying to watch a DVD I ripped to my hard drive. Moreover, I like having a feather-weight computer because it is just easier to bring everywhere. I am incredibly physically fit, more so that 99.5% of anyone on this website, but I still don't want to lug around a heavier machine. I travel quite frequently and need something that is as versatile and travel-friendly as I am. I know I am a bit of a special case but there are a lot of guys like me out there, they just don't post on their forum.

dukebound85
Jan 21, 2008, 12:24 AM
I am incredibly physically fit, more so that 99.5% of anyone on this website, b

i must be that .5% lol

ProPedderKustom
Jan 21, 2008, 12:25 AM
i must be that .5% lol

Well of course you are!

dukebound85
Jan 21, 2008, 12:28 AM
but with regards to the mba those that know about it should also look into the mb and mbp to see which of the 3 best fits needs

after that it really is no ones buisness what people get.

i on the otherhand am content with my blackbook, as i have clearly made evident, at least for now lol

why argue against more options is how im feeling atm

BOSS10L
Jan 21, 2008, 07:39 AM
There's very little logic *in* this thread; it's mostly people trying to justify the existence of the MBA without regard to the reality of a college student's needs. I'm graduating in six months, and if I've learned anything in the past four years, it's how hard money can be to come by in college, and how little "flash" means at the end of the day. I wish more people here would stop selfishly answering why they'd like an MBA, and instead offer the guy some decent advice on buying a reliable computer to last him for a couple of years without his needing to buy a dozen accessories to make full use of it. It's a bit frustrating to see how much bad advice has been given, but maybe this is one of those things people have to learn for themselves.

Wait until they make it out to the real world, and have a mortgage payment, daycare costs and taxes. ;)

It's not an inferior machine if it does everything you want it to!

By that logic, everyone should be driving a Yugo then, right? :confused:

jnc
Jan 21, 2008, 08:56 AM

Nope. By that logic, Yugos are inferior machines because they DON'T do everything you want them to.

ProPedderKustom
Jan 21, 2008, 11:25 AM
Wait until they make it out to the real world, and have a mortgage payment, daycare costs and taxes. ;)

One of my basic requirements for a vehicle is safety, and I hope this is true for you too!

I don't know why you feel the need to try to make those of us in college feel that we are not in the real world with mortgage payments, daycare costs, and taxes - that is not necessarily true. Many college students don't have time for a job, take on lots of debt without the balance of a physical asset [house/property], and purposely do not have children yet. I have plenty of pressure in school but manage it very well. I am about to graduate #1 in my class at Loyola Marymount University from the business school with a 4.0 GPA, I am a personal trainer outside of school, and I am an award-winning young entrepreneur with a great outlook for the future. I am making use of my education and being productive on all fronts!

If you are a college student on a tighter budget, get a MB. If you like the MBA and can afford it, then buy it! It really is not that difficult to understand. This thread shouldn't have turned into a trash-talking session about why college students are or are not financially able/responsible enough to buy a MBA.

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 21, 2008, 11:35 AM
One of my basic requirements for a vehicle is safety, and I hope this is true for you too!

I don't know why you feel the need to try to make those of us in college feel that we are not in the real world with mortgage payments, daycare costs, and taxes - that is not necessarily true. Many college students don't have time for a job, take on lots of debt without the balance of a physical asset [house/property], and purposely do not have children yet. I have plenty of pressure in school but manage it very well. I am about to graduate #1 in my class at Loyola Marymount University from the business school with a 4.0 GPA, I am a personal trainer outside of school, and I am an award-winning young entrepreneur with a great outlook for the future. I am making use of my education and being productive on all fronts!

If you are a college student on a tighter budget, get a MB. If you like the MBA and can afford it, then buy it! It really is not that difficult to understand. This thread shouldn't have turned into a trash-talking session about why college students are or are not financially able/responsible enough to buy a MBA.

Exactly. :cool: