PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is the MBA's target demographic???

gothamm
Jan 20, 2008, 05:27 PM
professionals?
travelers?
students?
paris hilton types?
super weak anorexic people?

All joking aside, I don't understand who apple is trying to target. I have an analytical mind and like to think about stuff from a business POV.

psychofreak
Jan 20, 2008, 05:30 PM
Very rich people. Its not powerful enough for me, but there are plenty of rich kids in my year getting one, and my dad is thinking about saving for one...

5 pounds is not the easiest thing to lug around all day even if it is relatively light, and I'd be very happy if my Macbook lost half its weight even though I'm not "super weak anorexic"

ahaxton
Jan 20, 2008, 05:32 PM
professionals? Yes
travelers? Yes
students? Yes
paris hilton types? Yes

And three of those I fit.

diabolic
Jan 20, 2008, 05:36 PM
Probably someone like me. I own my own company, have several desktop systems, and love nice new gadgets. I already have a powerful 17" laptop if I need to have that on the road, but I don't always need it.

Sometimes I have to carry my computer on my back through a tradeshow walking for hours at a time. Something light and sleek makes this easier. If it looks cool on top of that, it's an added bonus.

Most of the time I don't need an optical drive or wired network connection. I won't ever need firewire on this computer.

If I listen to music or watch movies on it, I won't be carrying a huge collection and literally never watch anything from an actual DVD. Don't most people realize that Apple's ideal future doesn't include optical drives for media? They want us to be downloading from iTunes exclusively. I could probably buy into that.

The things I won't compromise on are the keyboard or screen size. Any smaller and I wouldn't have ordered one.

I can't wait for mine to arrive.

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2008, 05:36 PM
professionals? Yes
travelers? Yes
students? Yes
paris hilton types? Yes

And three of those I fit.

students? surely you cant be serious

being in college myself, there is no way the mba would prove wise compared to the mb or mbp at the price

heatmiser
Jan 20, 2008, 05:37 PM

being in college myself, there is no way the mba would prove wise compared to the mb or mbp at the price

Maybe he means "students" whose parents pay for everything. Most real students would go with the Macbook or Macbook Pro.

ahaxton
Jan 20, 2008, 05:38 PM

The student one is the only one I don't fit. I can imagine though why it would appeal to students: portability and "bling" factor.

Eidorian
Jan 20, 2008, 05:40 PM
As a former student I bought a MacBook and a Windows mintower for the price of a MacBook Air.

clevin
Jan 20, 2008, 05:42 PM
professionals? rich ones
travelers? rich ones
students? rich ones
paris hilton types? no, Hilton likes chihuahua, MBA is too big
super weak anorexic people? rich ones

rich ppl

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2008, 05:42 PM
Maybe he means "students" whose parents pay for everything. Most real students would go with the Macbook or Macbook Pro.

i agree. however what im getting at is you NEED a computer that has an optical drive, that has more than 1 usb porta and has speakers i could go on

The student one is the only one I don't fit. I can imagine though why it would appeal to students: portability and "bling" factor.

but mb's are portable and bling? who cares. it's not like the mb is a crappy computer

not to mention you SAVE a fortune. 700 is not exactly chump change

ahaxton
Jan 20, 2008, 05:43 PM
I'd like to include a comment about the Paris Hilton type before a comment is made lol.

I'm a classy gent compared to Ms. Hilton, and she gives a bad name to the family she was born into.
It greatly appeals to jetsetters. Now I can fit more fuel *just kidding*.

aiterum
Jan 20, 2008, 05:57 PM
rich people with lots of disposable money to spend and who know nothing about computers or value

ahaxton
Jan 20, 2008, 05:58 PM
i agree. however what im getting at is you NEED a computer that has an optical drive, that has more than 1 usb porta and has speakers i could go on

but mb's are portable and bling? who cares. it's not like the mb is a crappy computer

not to mention you SAVE a fortune. 700 is not exactly chump change

I don't need an optical drive in my MBA, neither do I need more ports.

And for a lot of people the price is great. $700 to me is nowhere near a fortune and that goes for a lot of people.

Students will buy this that I am sure. Aren't they our biggest consumer of brands?

Eidorian
Jan 20, 2008, 05:58 PM
rich people with lots of disposable money to spend and who know nothing about computers or valuehttp://www.math.purdue.edu/%7Eabarreno/xpsm2010.jpg

Remember me?

Students will buy this that I am sure. Aren't they our biggest consumer of brands?My university's MUG leans toward MacBook Pros and then MacBooks.

BOSS10L
Jan 20, 2008, 05:59 PM
I'm a classy gent compared to Ms. Hilton, and she gives a bad name to the family she was born into.

Ron Jeremy is a classy gent compared to Ms. Hilton. :D

heatmiser
Jan 20, 2008, 06:00 PM
Students will buy this that I am sure. Aren't they our biggest consumer of brands?

Macbooks are already overpriced; you don't need OS X to get through college. Most folks who opt Apple will go for the Macbook, the Macbook Pro, or the iMac, in that order. The Macbook Air will probably come in fourth.

aiterum
Jan 20, 2008, 06:01 PM
http://www.math.purdue.edu/%7Eabarreno/xpsm2010.jpg

Remember me?

cool nice anti-dell plug you're special

but just remember that you can get an XPS 15.4" laptop with the same specifications as the midrange MBP for 800 less so lets continue throwing around value

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2008, 06:04 PM
I don't need an optical drive in my MBA, neither do I need more ports.

And for a lot of people the price is great. $700 to me is nowhere near a fortune and that goes for a lot of people.

im interested if you know these students that will pay a premium for a crippled machine as i must be going to all the wrong schools and be in the wrong social circles....

ahaxton
Jan 20, 2008, 06:06 PM
Ron Jeremy is a classy gent compared to Ms. Hilton. :D

I've got more money than he does though lol.
Wait, Ms. has more than he does too.

Let me choose a more suitable category. I am more classy than Prince William of England. Fortunately, I haven't gone through the phases him and his brother have been going through.

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2008, 06:06 PM

but just remember that you can get an XPS 15.4" laptop with the same specifications as the midrange MBP for 800 less so lets continue throwing around value

if it could run osx, i would get a pc sure. but can it? noooooo

gescom
Jan 20, 2008, 06:07 PM
I think the MBA is mainly for banker's wives. I am sure a small batch of users will use it for what it was designed for which is for business portability or those just looking to scale down the internet (and have a chunk of dough to do it). However that said, I expect 3rd party support right off the bat looking at recasing in Pink, Rhinestones, and Furs.

Don't get me wrong it is cool but I think it is really meant to be an accessory like purse puppies.

Just my 2...

ahaxton
Jan 20, 2008, 06:07 PM
im interested if you know these students that will pay a premium for a crippled machine as i must be going to all the wrong schools and be in the wrong social circles....

I know people within almost all of the Ivy League schools, that's where I am basing my information off of. I am sure though even in lower schools there will be students aplenty wanting the MacBook air.

Eidorian
Jan 20, 2008, 06:08 PM

but just remember that you can get an XPS 15.4" laptop with the same specifications as the midrange MBP for 800 less so lets continue throwing around valueIt's not necessarily an anti-Dell plug but it does show that people do have disposable incomes to toss around. As always here's some MacRumors history for all you new guys.

Apple needs a competitor for the Dell M2010? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=227834)

Sony's answer to the iMac (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=345102)

All of this has happened before, and it will happen again.

ahaxton
Jan 20, 2008, 06:09 PM
I think the MBA is mainly for banker's wives. I am sure a small batch of users will use it for what it was designed for which is for business portability or those just looking to scale down the internet (and have a chunk of dough to do it). However that said, I expect 3rd party support right off the bat looking at recasing in Pink, Rhinestones, and Furs.

Don't get me wrong it is cool but I think it is really meant to be an accessory like purse puppies.

Just my 2...

Banker's wives??? And how about the male executives and elite of the world? I say Yes.

diabolic
Jan 20, 2008, 06:09 PM
rich people with lots of disposable money to spend and who know nothing about computers or value

Value is relative, and different for everybody. Probably not a good idea to judge people you don't know.

Having disposable income and buying something just because someone feels like it aren't bad things. Everyone's priorities are different, as they should be.

It's almost as if everyone here thinks Apple screwed them by "wasting" their design effort on something for "poser" computer users. Not every product has to be perfect for everyone and not everyone needs the fastest computer with the most ports.

clevin
Jan 20, 2008, 06:11 PM
And how about the male executives and elite of the world? I say Yes.
elite=rich in this case.
I know people within almost all of the Ivy League schools, that's where I am basing my information off of. I am sure though even in lower schools there will be students aplenty wanting the MacBook air.

wanting!=purchasing in this case.:)

ahaxton
Jan 20, 2008, 06:12 PM
Value is relative, and different for everybody. Probably not a good idea to judge people you don't know.

Having disposable income and buying something just because someone feels like it aren't bad things. Everyone's priorities are different, as they should be.

It's almost as if everyone here thinks Apple screwed them by "wasting" their design effort on something for "poser" computer users. Not every product has to be perfect for everyone.

Exactly! I can go around and say someone shouldn't be buying their MBP because they have credit card bills to pay first.

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2008, 06:14 PM

wanting maybe, getting prob not

and im kinda insulted at how schools not ivy are "lower" once again i didnt find the "value" of going to say Harvard over say Colorado State. Since I have to pay for school, i didnt feel like spending 4x as much for the same classes

owell same market as those who get mba's i suppose

do these students you speak of ever work and know the value of a dollar? or do they rely on their daddy? sorry i would think i would know the student (non-ivy) demographic pretty well

saying that i will say you know your demographic as well concerning the mba, even if i dont quite see it

diabolic
Jan 20, 2008, 06:17 PM
elite=rich in this case.

Is that a bad thing? Apple should be allowed to target whomever they like in a potential market. I'd argue that anyone able to buy a $2000 portable computer might be considered well off.

Apple computers have usually demanded a premium over the equivalent from other brands.

clevin
Jan 20, 2008, 06:19 PM
Is that a bad thing? Apple should be allowed to target whomever they like in a potential market. I'd argue that anyone able to buy a $2000 portable computer might be considered well off.

of course not! Just point out the targeted market as OP asked. I have no problem with whoever apple want to get money off...:)

gescom
Jan 20, 2008, 06:21 PM
Yes and executives (male, female and transgender, if applicable). The point is this device is not for many of the current userbase who tend to be students, professionals or technophiles. I expect this to have more add-ons, and trendy peripherals is all. Hey if I had the extra dough I would buy it as a secondary portable no-doubt-about-it but the reality is I don't.

And yes, some do have more money than others and the price doesn't bite them as bad to have the next new toy.

I don't see this as a product that is screwing me or others in the mac community but a product that is a marketable prototype for the other products. I am sure some of the features, not all, will be expertly woven into the macbook and the MBP in good time.

The strategy here in this product will most likely turn more "pc" users over to the macs. Not half bad for Apple at all huh?

cmcbridejr
Jan 20, 2008, 06:21 PM
Professional Bloggers

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2008, 06:22 PM
of course not! Just point out the targeted market as OP asked. I have no problem with whoever apple want to get money off...:)

from what i gather, well off folks who dont worry about money and seemingly dont mind having a crippled machine as long as it looks good

i hope i can have that mindset someday lol.

guess this is good for apple so i shouldnt complain one bit.

Catch
Jan 20, 2008, 06:28 PM
Ok so there are a TON of posts on this whole MBA launch. I am not going to add my own demographic here as I think you all have it covered.

However, I have to say that of ALL the posts since the launch, the guy who specifically mentioned 'gays' in his post really took the biscuit!

If you are to believe the guy from Arizona, then you need to add that category.

I think thats the most politically incorrect post I have ever seen on MacRumors to date! The MBA is really bringing them all out...

Regards,

C

iToaster
Jan 20, 2008, 06:31 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a rich kid thing. However, they can't really show off:
A-"My MacBook Air is super thin"
B-"Yeah, well lets just see how much your 1.8 Ghz C2D, 64 Gb SSD, 2 Gb RAM, GMA3100, 13.3" screened MacBook Air stacks up against my 2.6 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro with a 320 Gb HD, 4 Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT w/ 256 Mb VRAM."
A-"Well, uh, I can shave with mine..."
B-"You don't have facial hair"
A-"Shut up"

gescom
Jan 20, 2008, 06:31 PM
I just searched the whole page and the only mention of "Gay" was from your post. Did I miss something? :confused:

clevin
Jan 20, 2008, 06:33 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a rich kid thing. However, they can't really show off:
A-"My MacBook Air is super thin"
B-"Yeah, well lets just see how much your 1.8 Ghz C2D, 64 Gb SSD, 2 Gb RAM, GMA3100, 13.3" screened MacBook Air stacks up against my 2.6 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro with a 320 Gb HD, 4 Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT w/ 256 Mb VRAM."
A-"Well, uh, I can shave with mine..."
B-"You don't have facial hair"
A-"Shut up"

A-I can carry it in big envelope!

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2008, 06:33 PM
I just searched the whole page and the only mention of "Gay" was from your post. Did I miss something? :confused:

i believe it was from other threads on mba as i think i recall reading it as well

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2008, 06:34 PM
A-I can carry it in big envelope!

you cant use your computer in an envelope! and i have this sweet laptop case!

gescom
Jan 20, 2008, 06:37 PM
i believe it was from other threads on mba as i think i recall reading it as well

:eek: Ouch, that is so rude and small minded.

mojopixel
Jan 20, 2008, 06:38 PM
people with large amounts of ca$h! I think the macbook air is all about showing the computing masses what apple can do and where they think portable computing is heading.

heatmiser
Jan 20, 2008, 06:38 PM
Seriously. When you're reduced to bragging about being able to fit your laptop in an envelope, you've got to wonder if it was such a good purchase to begin with.

Catch
Jan 20, 2008, 06:43 PM

It was and the guy posted several explanations as well, all of which just made the hole he dug deeper. I can't find it now but Ill give it another shot...

C

Catch
Jan 20, 2008, 07:02 PM

Didn't mean to start something with this:rolleyes:

I don't think the guy meant any offense with the post. It was just a very bad way to get the point across!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=418067

Regards,

C

Macky-Mac
Jan 20, 2008, 07:05 PM
professionals? rich ones
travelers? rich ones
students? rich ones
paris hilton types? no, Hilton likes chihuahua, MBA is too big
super weak anorexic people? rich ones

rich ppl

since a MBP costs more than a MBA, you must think only rich people are going to buy a MBP?

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2008, 07:08 PM
since a MBP costs more than a MBA, you must think only rich people are going to buy a MBP?

well when a mb is more powerful than a mba and those who get mbp's get it probably for the video card.....

its about buying something for alot when doesnt have alot of features

gescom
Jan 20, 2008, 07:09 PM
Didn't mean to start something with this:rolleyes:

I don't think the guy meant any offense with the post. It was just a very bad way to get the point across!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=418067

Regards,

C

I appreciate it. Man, talking about digging your own grave on the forums.

clevin
Jan 20, 2008, 07:10 PM

no, of course not. you do realize if you gonna buy a MBA, you probably need to buy another computer as well, right? MBA is a secondary computer.

Catch
Jan 20, 2008, 07:15 PM
no, of course not. you do realize if you gonna buy a MBA, you need to buy another computer as well, right? MBA is a secondary computer.

OH come on... you do not 'have' to! Its perfectly good as a standalone computer for non processor intensive tasks. Just add the optional super drive and you are all set. :)

Regards,

C

diabolic
Jan 20, 2008, 07:15 PM
MBA is a secondary computer.

Or as in my case, a tertiary computer. It really depends on what you want to use it for.

heatmiser
Jan 20, 2008, 07:16 PM
OH come on... you do not 'have' to! Its perfectly good as a standalone computer for non processor intensive tasks. Just add the optional super drive and you are all set. :)

Regards,

C

If you're going to add the optional superdrive, why not just get the regular Macbook, or the Macbook Pro? You'd save $700 on the former, and pay at most $100 extra on the latter. :D

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2008, 07:18 PM
If you're going to add the optional superdrive, why not just get the regular Macbook, or the Macbook Pro? You'd save $700 on the former, and pay at most $100 extra on the latter. :D

and get more usb and firewire ports !

Catch
Jan 20, 2008, 07:21 PM

Because if you use a laptop like me then you only need the super drive to install new software. I never use my drive for anything else on my laptop. Leave it at home and still enjoy it when need be and also have superior portability. I am lucky to have a second computer that has a drive, so I did not order mine with an extra drive, but if I did not I think its a pretty good investment...

Obviously you have a point in your post as well :)

C

Catch
Jan 20, 2008, 07:23 PM
and get more usb and firewire ports !

Hehe and then you have a MacBook/Pro... If those are your needs I guess you fall outside of the target market.

Do we all agree that this argument has been going in circles for a few days now? :D:D:D

C

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2008, 07:24 PM
Hehe and then you have a MacBook/Pro... If those are your needs I guess you fall outside of the target market.

Do we all agree that this argument has been going in circles for a few days now? :D:D:D

C

yup it has lol

Macky-Mac
Jan 20, 2008, 07:27 PM
no, of course not. you do realize if you gonna buy a MBA, you need to buy another computer as well, right? MBA is a secondary computer.

i'll give you a yes and a no on the secondary computer idea. It really depends on what you're doing with it and what you need. This isn't the computer for everybody but for a lot of people it will do just what they need.

For many business users, they need email, internet and running an office suite and not a lot more. The MBA will do all that just fine and be lighter to carry on the road. For many business people this will be a great computer....and less expensive than a MBP.

On the other hand, for a graphics pro or a video pro......you're right, it's unlikely to be the only computer they have. They can have the Mac Pro for the heavy work and a MBA for travel to meet with clients, etc.

It really all depends on what you need.

Catch
Jan 20, 2008, 07:30 PM
yup it has lol

... but it sure is hard to stop discussing it while waiting for it to arrive! I tried talking to my wife about it and she stared at me blankly for a while and said, "whatever... when is mine arriving?" The nerve!

I guess she is yet another demographic! The ones that just like it for the looks but could care less about the technology that went into making it. :eek::mad::D

Oh and I think if I tried to fit her in the Paris Hilton group I would have to pack my suitcases!

C

clevin
Jan 20, 2008, 07:36 PM
For many business users, they need email, internet and running an office suite and not a lot more. The MBA will do all that just fine and be lighter to carry on the road. For many business people this will be a great computer....and less expensive than a MBP.

It really all depends on what you need.

I think for MBA, its MORE than what you NEED. for all the functions you mentioned, You can do it with ASUS EEE, with cheap price and even less weight.

Its more than what you NEED.

Macky-Mac
Jan 20, 2008, 07:37 PM
well when a mb is more powerful than a mba and those who get mbp's get it probably for the video card.....

Certainly there are people who decide to buy a MBP for the video card but I doubt that's what motivates most MBP buyers because most people aren't doing tasks that require the better video card.......and it doesn't really matter if a MB is more powerful than a MBA if the MBA will do the tasks you need it to do.

....its about buying something for alot when doesnt have alot of features

on the other hand, there are going to be plenty of people who will look at the MBA and say it's cheaper than a MBP and does what they need so it's a great value.....features are fine if you need and use them, but worthless if you don't

butterfly0fdoom
Jan 20, 2008, 07:40 PM

I'm a student. I use a USB hub. I've used my optical drive thus far this school year. I use headphones. I don't use an external monitor. I don't own anything that uses FireWire. If the MacBook Air came out last year, I would have sprung for that over my BlackBook because the sacrifices that a MBA requires are sacrifices that I'm willing to make.

I work at my school's bookstore. I can't even count on my fingers the amount of people that came in asking if we had any MacBook Airs in stock. Same for the day after. And the day after that.

"Crippled" is subjective. Do you really need that much processing power? Do you really need that many USB ports? Do you really need more internal speakers? If so, you're not within the MacBook Air's target market, which is a group of people that are willing to pay more for a still competent and more portable machine.

Running over 3 miles every day between lecture halls and discussion rooms with my MacBook in my backpack isn't exactly fun for me and I'm sure it's not very good for my back. If I could sacrifice things to reduce the weight (and thickness, some lecture halls are rather cramped) of my backpack, it would be the optical drive that I rarely use, the speakers that aren't very loud anyway, and the extraneous USB ports that I never use.

clevin
Jan 20, 2008, 07:41 PM
on the other hand, there are going to be plenty of people who will look at the MBA and say it's cheaper than a MBP and does what they need so it's a great value.....features are fine if you need and use them, but worthless if you don't

sounds like you are counting on ppl making uninformed decisions...

If I could sacrifice things to reduce the weight (and thickness, some lecture halls are rather cramped) of my backpack
oh please, cramped lecture hall..for that 1"?

Macky-Mac
Jan 20, 2008, 07:43 PM
I think for MBA, its MORE than what you NEED. for all the functions you mentioned, You can do it with ASUS EEE, with cheap price and even less weight.

true enough......many, or even most, people don't really NEED all of the features and power that new computers have

Macky-Mac
Jan 20, 2008, 07:45 PM

you think it's an uiniformed decision to save money by buying a computer that meets their needs instead of buying a more expensive MBP that they don't really need??

Macky-Mac
Jan 20, 2008, 07:47 PM

oh please, cramped lecture hall..for that 1"?

I didn't say that.....I think you've put somebody else's quote under my name

gwangung
Jan 20, 2008, 07:48 PM

No, not really.

However you're making it sound like you know other people's needs better than they do. That sounds....elitist.

clevin
Jan 20, 2008, 07:49 PM
you think it's an uiniformed decision to save money by buying a computer that meets their needs instead of buying a more expensive MBP that they don't really need??

lol, no, of course not, I think we all know what I meant. its an uninformed decision to buy a laptop with high price when they can get another one for 1/5 the price.

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2008, 07:52 PM
Certainly there are people who decide to buy a MBP for the video card but I doubt that's what motivates most MBP buyers because most people aren't doing tasks that require the better video card.......and it doesn't really matter if a MB is more powerful than a MBA if the MBA will do the tasks you need it to do.

well you asked why is it for rich people when mbp's cost a little more. those are some reasons. some people like more functionality in their computer and want to pay for it as it's justified. some people want to game or do solid modeling so its not an issue to pay more. however, there is NOTHING the mba can do that the mb cant. thats my point

I'm a student. I use a USB hub. I've used my optical drive thus far this school year. I use headphones. I don't use an external monitor. I don't own anything that uses FireWire.

I work at my school's bookstore. I can't even count on my fingers the amount of people that came in asking if we had any MacBook Airs in stock. Same for the day after. And the day after that.

"Crippled" is subjective. Do you really need that much processing power? Do you really need that many USB ports? Do you really need more internal speakers? If so, you're not within the MacBook Air's target market, which is a group of people that are willing to pay more for a still competent and more portable machine.

Running over 3 miles every day between lecture halls and discussion rooms with my MacBook in my backpack isn't exactly fun for me and I'm sure it's not very good for my back. If I could sacrifice things to reduce the weight (and thickness, some lecture halls are rather cramped) of my backpack, it would be the optical drive that I rarely use, the speakers that aren't very loud anyway, and the extraneous USB ports that I never use.

crippled is not subjective. when a mb can do all that and more for alot cheaper how can you say it's anything but crippled? im curious

i dont take my laptop to class as im old fashioned and take notes by hand. however, the weight of books doesnt bother me. i mean its what like a max of 40lbs? in a backpack nonetheless

all im saying is pretty much all my friends use there laptops to double as
1) dvd players
2) jukeboxes
3) for cameras
4) and maybe connect external hd and a mouse and maybe a keyboard

the mba struggles with all of these. in my opinion it is INSANE for a student to have this as a sole computer. then INSANE to have it as a secondary one as you could just get a mbp instead

diabolic
Jan 20, 2008, 07:52 PM

I'd counter that statement by my own example. I am probably as informed as I could possibly be about computers and am happily buying a MBA.

I have OSX, XP, Vista, and Linux systems here at my home and office. I can and still do build my own systems, but that doesn't mean I can't get the nice stylish slick premium system that does exactly what I want.

EDIT: I'd also reiterate that the size and appearance is as valid a feature as processor speed or HD size. A lot of people dismiss this because they personally don't care.

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2008, 07:54 PM

i think its uninformed to buy a machine thats less capable than a mb for a mbp's price tag.

this is NOT a market for students. it is a small market aimed at professional as far as i can gather

diabolic
Jan 20, 2008, 08:00 PM
this is NOT a market for students. it is a small market aimed at professional as far as i can gather

I'd agree it's not targeted at students. I would say that Apple's market was traditionally considered to be creative professionals. I'd imagine the overall mobile professional market is a lot larger than the creative professional one. And I don't mean the computer professionals.

eba
Jan 20, 2008, 08:01 PM
professionals?
travelers?
students?
paris hilton types?

All joking aside, I don't understand who apple is trying to target. I have an analytical mind and like to think about stuff from a business POV.

Why is this hard to figure out? It's people who want an ultraportable Mac.

It's NOT people who want a MB or a MBP or a MacPro or an iMac.

IT'S ABOUT PORTABILITY. There's no mystery in all this.

Macky-Mac
Jan 20, 2008, 08:04 PM
i think its uninformed to buy a machine thats less capable than a mb for a mbp's price tag.

Actually I think the market aimed at business users is far greater than the student market......and indeed, this isn't a product that's aimed primarily at students

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2008, 08:05 PM
Why is this hard to figure out? It's people who want an ultraportable Mac.

It's NOT people who want a MB or a MBP or a MacPro or an iMac.

IT'S ABOUT PORTABILITY. There's no mystery in all this.

how is having a 13inch screen with an identical ftprint as the mb considered an ultrportable lol

if it had a 10 screen id be with you but that makes no sense what you said

ALL you gain is a thinner computer from an already thin mb

eba
Jan 20, 2008, 08:26 PM
how is having a 13inch screen with an identical ftprint as the mb considered an ultrportable lol

if it had a 10 screen id be with you but that makes no sense what you said

ALL you gain is a thinner computer from an already thin mb

You obviously don't travel much. A laptop with a full-size screen and keyboard but that weighs 2-2.5 lbs less than a MB or MBP and is small enough to fit in a briefcase is a big deal.

clevin
Jan 20, 2008, 08:41 PM
You obviously don't travel much. A laptop with a full-size screen and keyboard but that weighs 2-2.5 lbs less than a MB or MBP and is small enough to fit in a briefcase is a big deal.

there is a problem with the definition of "ultraportable", exactly how do you define it?

Not to mention there are alot of products fit your description, and probably cheaper...

eba
Jan 20, 2008, 08:43 PM
Another thing I think people are missing: For those folks who want just one computer for everyday use, a tiny screen and cramped keyboard are major disadvantages. To attract even a small portion of those users, a full-size screen and keyboard are a must. Otherwise, Apple would be banking almost exclusively on those who would buy the MBA as a second computer. I think Apple has calculated that by reducing weight and thickness but not screen and keyboard size, they can appeal to both groups.

diabolic
Jan 20, 2008, 08:46 PM
A laptop with a full-size screen and keyboard but that weighs 2-2.5 lbs less than a MB or MBP and is small enough to fit in a briefcase is a big deal.

I agree. I guess my criteria would be I want the least weight possible with a full keyboard and at least a 13" screen. The overall footprint isn't key for me but any smaller on either the kb or screen would kill the deal for me.

eba
Jan 20, 2008, 08:49 PM
there is a problem with the definition of "ultraportable", exactly how do you define it?

Not to mention there are alot of products fit your description, and probably cheaper...

It's not about adhering to some arbitrary, rigid and nonexistent definition. It's about Apple producing a dramatically thinner and lighter laptop with features they think consumers want most.

As for the "lots of products out there that do the same thing cheaper," that's always the case with Apple. That's never been the point.

clevin
Jan 20, 2008, 08:51 PM
It's not about adhering to some arbitrary, rigid and nonexistent definition. It's about Apple producing a dramatically thinner and lighter laptop with features they think consumers want most.

this is the point when discussion has to end. since nothing is objective anymore..

eba
Jan 20, 2008, 08:59 PM
this is the point when discussion has to end. since nothing is objective anymore..

There's nothing "objective" about any of this. It's not as if there's a Papal bull on the meaning of ultraportable.

diabolic
Jan 20, 2008, 09:22 PM
There's nothing "objective" about any of this.

That's why there's not one right answer. People that drool over specs could be complete different than people that drool over design and appearance. Both sides can be right.

aiongiant
Jan 20, 2008, 09:30 PM
That's why there's not one right answer. People that drool over specs could be complete different than people that drool over design and appearance. Both sides can be right.

i agree

this is why apple has more than 1 model of laptop
did you guys notice apple "DID NOT" discontinue the macbook line when macbook air was announced

everyone has different needs and what appeals to some it might not to others
macbook air is for ppl that are willing to give up some features for design, a thinner and lighter laptop
macbook for ppl on a budget yet still want it portable
macbook pro for ppl that want more of a desktop replacement

theres a macbook for everyone! woot!

jnc
Jan 20, 2008, 09:38 PM
Their target demographic are people who like it and want to have one. :)

aiongiant
Jan 20, 2008, 09:41 PM
Their target demographic are people who like it and want to have one. :)

hahaha
scratch what i said earlier... i agree with this statement. HAHAH

ahaxton
Jan 20, 2008, 09:46 PM
I think all we will be caring about in 2 weeks is sales figures and expectations.

jnc
Jan 21, 2008, 03:42 AM

The option to not have to carry an unnecessary SuperDrive about appeals. I never use discs on the move. If I picked up a MBA I'd be satisfied with Remote Disk.... I wouldn't even buy the external SD.

BWhaler
Jan 21, 2008, 04:53 AM
I just bought the fully loaded MBA, so I guess I am in the demo:

-- Entrepreneur
-- Travel to Asia from USA once a month
-- Generally fly business or first so I will have a plug to keep it charged
-- Own 17" which I may bring on some trips when I need pro power, lots of pixels, need to swap batteries, etc.
-- Own iMac at home
-- Not rich.

For me, I find times when I want to go as light as possible. The Air is a great compromise; (I wouldn't want a cramped keyboard or 10" screen.)

skyrider007
Jan 21, 2008, 05:12 AM
-- Own 17" which I may bring on some trips when I need pro power, lots of pixels, need to swap batteries, etc.
-- Own iMac at home
-- Not rich.

Sir, you must be RICH! I am a frequent flyer as well and is well aware of the cost of long-haul premium class ticket (runs from US$3500 in business (direct JFK-BKK on TG) to over US$20000 (LHR-SIN-SYD in SQ A380). You're spending at least 20-30K annually on luxury travel so obviously you can afford an MBA (the computer and the degree, :)

Catch
Jan 21, 2008, 05:34 AM

As for the "lots of products out there that do the same thing cheaper," that's always the case with Apple. That's never been the point.

I agree. Another thing that puzzles me is how people can recommend the other manufacturers machines. This is a Mac rumor site. As such, the reason allot of people if not most are here is that they want to run OSX.

The MBA IS the most portable machine Apple has ever produced.

C

ctt1wbw
Jan 21, 2008, 06:39 AM

Why, because the Macbook has an optical drive? The lack of an optical drive is no big deal. How often do I watch a movie or listen to a cd on the computer? Not often. And I plan on getting one, and I go to college. Three pounds is easier to lug around than 5 o 6, just because someone has to have an optical drive that they won't use.

gropo
Jan 21, 2008, 08:24 AM
-- Urban cyclist (lots of shocks to absorb)
-- Need to straddle two offices in NYC for light design work throughout the week
-- Started a new school program in the evenings learning lots of anatomy
-- Upgrading from a 2000 Sawtooth G4 (dual 1.2 Ghz upgraded)

MacBook would technically work out... But giving myself that 2lb edge over roughly 12 miles of daily bicycle commuting will definitely add up. As I added, multiply a day's worth of potholes conveying through my body over the course of a couple years—even with a nice neoprene or AXIO sleeve—and the MacBook's 'looser' design tolerances probably wouldn't hold up as well.

MBA is pretty much a dream device for my needs, so much so that I'm willing to put my concerns about fixed RAM and 15ms drive seeks entirely aside. Once 1.8" 64Gb SSD's drop to $400-500... Upgrade.

Cybergypsy
Jan 21, 2008, 08:39 AM
* disabled right hand Hard to carry macbook.
* 47 years old almost 48 LOL
* will not leave the house with it.
* loves all new electronics.
* Will buy the SSD when i can get 128G

skyrider007
Jan 21, 2008, 10:10 AM
-- Urban cyclist (lots of shocks to absorb)
-- Need to straddle two offices in NYC for light design work throughout the week
-- Started a new school program in the evenings learning lots of anatomy
-- Upgrading from a 2000 Sawtooth G4 (dual 1.2 Ghz upgraded)

MacBook would technically work out... But giving myself that 2lb edge over roughly 12 miles of daily bicycle commuting will definitely add up. As I

You must be fit, yumm. :p

LeviG
Jan 21, 2008, 10:43 AM
professionals?
travelers?
students?
paris hilton types?

I suppose I would fall mostly into the professional who has to travel to see clients.

Now for me the macbook air is ideal (assuming it hits the 5 hours battery life) for those first meetings with new clients where you try to get a feel for what they're after (I'm in design) but don't actually need all the power that a full size laptop has. 13" is plenty big enough for someone to look at some samples etc to get an idea of what they like while I'm taking notes on paper.

It also wouldn't be my main computer (desktop covers that) and I would probably have a 17" macbook pro to compliment it for when doing work on the go. So I suppose you could say it would encourage the mobile professional (designers perhaps) to have more than one mac which inturn increases apple revenue.

gothamm
Jan 21, 2008, 05:13 PM
I think all we will be caring about in 2 weeks is sales figures and expectations.

has apple made any sales predictions?

diabolic
Jan 21, 2008, 05:20 PM

All I'll really be caring about is that mine works like it is supposed to. :)

ahaxton
Jan 21, 2008, 05:23 PM

lol me too, but for those who didn't get it will be here fighting over the numbers lol.

Catch
Jan 21, 2008, 05:31 PM

Very true... I hope there will be no major Rev 1 issues. That would be a real shame. Fingers crossed!

C

butterfly0fdoom
Jan 21, 2008, 06:15 PM
crippled is not subjective. when a mb can do all that and more for alot cheaper how can you say it's anything but crippled? im curious

i dont take my laptop to class as im old fashioned and take notes by hand. however, the weight of books doesnt bother me. i mean its what like a max of 40lbs? in a backpack nonetheless

all im saying is pretty much all my friends use there laptops to double as
1) dvd players
2) jukeboxes
3) for cameras
4) and maybe connect external hd and a mouse and maybe a keyboard

the mba struggles with all of these. in my opinion it is INSANE for a student to have this as a sole computer. then INSANE to have it as a secondary one as you could just get a mbp instead

Regardless of what your friends do, they are not representative of the whole population. Not everyone uses their computer to watch DVDs, most people have an MP3 player that they use, cameras use USB or card readers, which can be rectified with a $10 USB hub.

We ordered 60 MBAs, and 40 of them are already tagged with people's names. Despite our disclaimers about what the MBA lacks, most people are willing to forego an internal optical drive and a plethora of ports because they simply don't perceive a need for the constant use of those ports. The MBA is perfect for some people's needs, and for those people, the MB, despite being cheaper, may be too much for their needs, both in features and size/weight.

dukebound85
Jan 21, 2008, 06:17 PM
Regardless of what your friends do, they are not representative of the whole population. Not everyone uses their computer to watch DVDs, most people have an MP3 player that they use, cameras use USB or card readers, which can be rectified with a $10 USB hub.

We ordered 60 MBAs, and 40 of them are already tagged with people's names. Despite our disclaimers about what the MBA lacks, most people are willing to forego an internal optical drive and a plethora of ports because they simply don't perceive a need for the constant use of those ports. The MBA is perfect for some people's needs, and for those people, the MB, despite being cheaper, may be too much for their needs, both in features and size/weight.

if you read my post and the ones preceeding it, we are talking about for STUDENTS. i realize you may have a need for it but im talking about student needs ok

mashoutposse
Jan 21, 2008, 06:33 PM
For students, you can use a $20 hub and plug whatever you want to the thing. "Struggle?" There will be no difference. Actually, there will be one: You won't have to plug and unplug three to four separate devices every time you sit at or get up from your desk.

http://www.targus.com/us/product_images/ACH74US_img2_accessories_b.jpg

And the great thing is that when you DO leave your desk with your MacBook Air, you get to enjoy the best possible form factor. Check the short video on the lower right comparing the MB Pro to the Air -- everything you need to know about why this makes sense is contained within those short 6 seconds:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/01/16/first_look_apples_new_macbook_air_with_photos_and_video.html

dukebound85
Jan 21, 2008, 06:40 PM
you cant tell me students are a main market for this as a PRIMARY COMPUTER and be serious just for the price aspect alone for a "crippled" computer

on the go executives sure....students no. i dont know what students you know, but i feel that me being one and interacting with alot of other students as well, i cant really think of many students who have more than one computer

sure i guess paying 700 more so i can unplug one cord as opposed to 2 is well worth it. what was i thinking:rolleyes:

despite what you believe optical media is not out of date and is needed for school more than you may realize

so why would a student, looking to get a primary computer pay more to sacrifice possibly needed features. that is my question. i can understand those who say have a imac or so get one a lil better but not one looking to get a primary machine

Catch
Jan 21, 2008, 06:46 PM
everything you need to know about why this makes sense is contained within those short 6 seconds:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/01/16/first_look_apples_new_macbook_air_with_photos_and_video.html

:D:D:D :apple:

C

Datagears
Jan 21, 2008, 07:07 PM
I am a adult student and this fit exactly what i am looking for.

I have a powerful Mac desktop and powerful PC for that matter. I wanted a lightweight durable laptop to tunnel to my main desktops and to give me a way to surf the web, run non gaming apps away from home between classes. I have no Mac laptop so this was a good choice for me. Currently I live off my iphone for some of that this will be a great extension of that. I just happen to be in the market for a notebook and was days away purchasing a MB when the air was announced, so i am ecstatic.

So it fits a niche and in the end fills a hole they had in their notebook line.

Mossdaddy
Jan 21, 2008, 07:16 PM

I'm buying one to complement my iMac. I do a lot of photography, and like to have a small laptop to down load and view photos when I'm away from home. This will fit the bill nicely, when adding weight to a backpack with a camera body, lenses, flash and tripod.

I agree this would not be a main computer for many. But it will replace my aging vaio quite nicely.

diehldun
Jan 21, 2008, 08:18 PM
(Of course, this depends on each specific school), there are a lot of students here who are economically fortunate enough to buy whatever is perceived as "cool" or "popular", much like a coveted status symbol. I can think of 10 people I know of personally/informally who definitely plan to purchase a MBA once it arrives in our bookstore. I ask them why: "it's cool". I would probably get the same response if I asked why they got an iPhone (which are ubiquitous here on campus).

That answer might sound terrible, but I think taken in context, it's a relatively reasonable answer, at least demographically. Myself, I'm smitten by its looks too, and though I initially dismissed the MBA as pointless and counterintuitive for a student, I'm slowly changing my mind. I know I'm not the only student who uses a USB router (then I could use the ethernet-USB dongle); myself I use an iCurve/BT keyboard & mouse setup. And to be honest, had I not purchased this MBP in October, I am now confident I would purchase a MBA as soon as it is avaliable. And honesly, for it's looks, weight-portability, and that I would otherwise be using right now a 4 year old PowerBook.

In all seriousness, there is no denying the MBA's sexy and lustful curb-appeal (no pun intended!).

SheriffParker
Jan 21, 2008, 08:34 PM
you cant tell me students are a main market for this as a PRIMARY COMPUTER and be serious just for the price aspect alone for a "crippled" computer

on the go executives sure....students no. i dont know what students you know, but i feel that me being one and interacting with alot of other students as well, i cant really think of many students who have more than one computer

so why would a student, looking to get a primary computer pay more to sacrifice possibly needed features. that is my question. i can understand those who say have a imac or so get one a lil better but not one looking to get a primary machine

The same reason most students don't shop for clothes at goodwill or the salvation army. "Why pay $300 for that jacket when you can get one at Walmart for $19!?!?" Its portable. Its part of your image. People spend money on their image.

dukebound85
Jan 21, 2008, 08:40 PM
The same reason most students don't shop for clothes at goodwill or the salvation army. "Why pay $300 for that jacket when you can get one at Walmart for $19!?!?" Its portable. Its part of your image. People spend money on their image.

if you cant see my point on how the mba is not in the market for students im sorry

you comparison makes no sense whatsoever. i am talking about functionality that a computer offers. being a student, it is hard enough to have a machine last all 4 years of school. why make it harder by giving up some features you will probably need.....unless you are rich that is

last i checked, students dont go to school because of an image, they go to get WORK done and graduate. the mba is a secondary computer and anyone who argues its purpose is to be a primary computer for students or most of the general public is crazy

HLdan
Jan 21, 2008, 08:46 PM
I just bought the fully loaded MBA, so I guess I am in the demo:

-- Entrepreneur
-- Own iMac at home
-- Not rich.

For me, I find times when I want to go as light as possible. The Air is a great compromise; (I wouldn't want a cramped keyboard or 10" screen.)

Not rich? could've fooled me Mr. Bragger.:rolleyes:

SheriffParker
Jan 21, 2008, 08:50 PM
if you cant see my point on how the mba is not in the market for students im sorry

you comparison makes no sense whatsoever. i am talking about functionality that a computer offers. being a student, it is hard enough to have a machine last all 4 years of school. why make it harder by giving up some features you will probably need.....unless you are rich that is

last i checked, students dont go to school because of an image, they go to get WORK done and graduate. the mba is a secondary computer and anyone who argues its purpose is to be a primary computer for students or most of the general public is crazy

Well if the MBA does all they need to do... write papers, check email... web research etc. Why shouldn't they get an attractive computer?

And I never said people go to school in order to have an image, I merely was pointing out that its very common for people to spend more money on something that isn't totally functional. $1000 designer handbags, sunglasses, shoes, etc. So you can't ignore that either.

butterfly0fdoom
Jan 21, 2008, 11:31 PM
if you read my post and the ones preceeding it, we are talking about for STUDENTS. i realize you may have a need for it but im talking about student needs ok

Yes, I am talking about student needs. I'm a student at UCSD, and I work at the UCSD Bookstore's computer department.

The MBA is sufficient as a primary machine for most people, despite its higher cost. Not everyone needs 2.2 GHz, more than 2 GB of RAM, a discrete video card, and a plethora of ports.

heatmiser
Jan 21, 2008, 11:56 PM
Yes, I am talking about student needs. I'm a student at UCSD, and I work at the UCSD Bookstore's computer department.

The MBA is sufficient as a primary machine for most people, despite its higher cost. Not everyone needs 2.2 GHz, more than 2 GB of RAM, a discrete video card, and a plethora of ports.

Could it be a primary computer? Sure. But most students looking for an Apple laptop would pick the Macbook or the Pro over the Air.

dukebound85
Jan 22, 2008, 12:22 AM

so why pay more to be underpowered:confused:

primary machine for most people haha right. most people want an optical drive remember? if a cheaper model has one, why get the mba. again we are talking about most people like you just asserted....

by your logic, a g3 imac is adequate for most people....if all they do is surf the web and check email. but lets say it costs 2k, wow what a deal lol. even if its powerful enough doesnt mean its a smart choice...

Could it be a primary computer? Sure. But most students looking for an Apple laptop would pick the Macbook or the Pro over the Air.

i agree and want to add that should it be a primary computer...absolutely not

clevin
Jan 22, 2008, 09:04 AM

I have a powerful Mac desktop
and powerful PC for that matter.
Currently I live off my iphone for some of that this will be a great extension of that.
I just happen to be in the market for a notebook and was days away purchasing a MB when the air was announced, so i am ecstatic.

still, we didn't miss anything when we suggested that you (normaly) have to be rich to buy MBA.

butterfly0fdoom
Jan 22, 2008, 12:15 PM

primary machine for most people haha right. most people want an optical drive remember? if a cheaper model has one, why get the mba. again we are talking about most people like you just asserted....

by your logic, a g3 imac is adequate for most people....if all they do is surf the web and check email. but lets say it costs 2k, wow what a deal lol. even if its powerful enough doesnt mean its a smart choice...

There's a big difference between a 466 MHz processor and a 1.6 GHz processor.

Do most people really want an internal optical drive? There are at least 40 people willing to use an external drive it means portability. Underpowered? Does everyone need that much processing power? Most people don't. The sheer size of the MBA is obviously worth the price premium for the 40 people that have pre-ordered an MBA. It may not seem like a smart choice to YOU, but to others, it apparently seems like the right choice.

The MBA is a machine that, given my usage, could function as my primary machine, and there are going to be people that have that same sentiments. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean you should go bashing them.

clevin
Jan 22, 2008, 12:23 PM
There's a big difference between a 466 MHz processor and a 1.6 GHz processor.

Do most people really want an internal optical drive? There are at least 40 people willing to use an external drive it means portability. Underpowered? Does everyone need that much processing power? Most people don't. The sheer size of the MBA is obviously worth the price premium for the 40 people that have pre-ordered an MBA. It may not seem like a smart choice to YOU, but to others, it apparently seems like the right choice.

The MBA is a machine that, given my usage, could function as my primary machine, and there are going to be people that have that same sentiments. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean you should go bashing them.

well, 40... is a... may I say "unimpressed" number? and really, 40 (here at MR.) can not statistically tell us anything.

Also, right choice for certain type of ppl is hardly a "smart choice". I take "smart" means best value for the $$$. Can you tell what that "right choice" means?

diabolic
Jan 22, 2008, 12:28 PM
I take "smart" means best value for the $$$. Can you tell what that "right choice" means?

Best value is relative. For some people, boosting their image with the newest gadget isn't just an ego thing. As hard as it might be to believe, it can be a sound business decision.

clevin
Jan 22, 2008, 12:36 PM
Best value is relative. For some people, boosting their image with the newest gadget isn't just an ego thing. As hard as it might be to believe, it can be a sound business decision.

Well, I can imagine that. And Im sure they are exactly what apple is targeting at... That takes us back to the original question. which is GOOD.

mashoutposse
Jan 22, 2008, 12:36 PM

You pay more for an "underpowered" laptop versus a higher performance, cheaper desktop.

In computing, there has ALWAYS been a premium on increased portability. The MBA is no different -- actually, the premium is much less in comparison to that demanded by other vendors.

The Air makes sense for the average student (that can afford a $1700 laptop) because the computer can be a full featured primary computer at your desk and a streamlined, thin and light on the go, and one that makes absolutely no compromises on the screen or keyboard. It's that simple.

Now, an argument can be made that many students won't be able to afford this. That's fine, the MacBook is still an excellent choice. But, as Ferris Bueller said, "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." :apple:

dukebound85
Jan 22, 2008, 12:56 PM
Do most people really want an internal optical drive?

yes. to rip cd's to play dvds, to install software. i would bet most people "really" want an internal optical drive for their primary machine. people love to buy add ons to get it to work right....not. i mean you would spend close to 1000 MORE than a mb. again we are talking about most people. not the mba target market lol.

There are at least 40 people willing to use an external drive it means portability. Underpowered? Does everyone need that much processing power? Most people don't.

We are talking about most people once again like YOU brought up. this is ridiculous how you would recommend this to once again most people....

Why recommend less power but will cost you a lot more for "most" people. maybe the target market sure lol who would benefit from the size reduction

The sheer size of the MBA is obviously worth the price premium for the 40 people that have pre-ordered an MBA. It may not seem like a smart choice to YOU, but to others, it apparently seems like the right choice.

yea these people are the target market. not the family who are getting a primary computer i would bet

That's right, it could. but it doesnt mean it SHOULD for most people (once again i said most like YOU brought up). the target market is for those who want a companion computer when away from main machine lol. EVEN IN THIS CASE, a mb and mbp would suffice for" most" people. Its the people that really want one for no real reason other than it's cool or would truly benefit from the size and weight that would get the mba

you logic is like reccomending a Rolls Royce/ Ferrari whatever because you COULD use it as a main car. Should you use it as your daily driver? not a chance in hell

im not bashing, just trying to PREVENT you from reccomending this machine as a primary computer for most people. most people on these forums would agree i bet hands down besides you apparently

not everyone is made of cash so cost and features/cost are a concern to many. those that DO have the cash probably have a computer before they get the mba

tibi08
Jan 22, 2008, 01:09 PM
i would bet most people "really" want an internal optical drive for their primary machine. people love to buy add ons to get it to work right....not.

Don't agree. I have a 15" MBP and and increasingly thinking I would like to trade it in for a MBA as my primary computer. I can barely remember the last time I used the DVD drive, perhaps to burn an audio CD for the car. I would love to have a lighter MBA so I can carry my Mac round the house more easily (and use it on the toilet). If I want to burn a CD or DVD, I will likely be at home and can plug the external drive in.

I leave my Mac sitting by the sofa and it's a bit of a strain to pick up with one hand. A MBA would be much easier. Plus, every time my MBP wakes up from sleep the DVD drive spins to check if a DVD is inserted. It's noisy and pointless and there's no way to stop it.

butterfly0fdoom
Jan 22, 2008, 02:11 PM
yes. to rip cd's to play dvds, to install software. i would bet most people "really" want an internal optical drive for their primary machine. people love to buy add ons to get it to work right....not. i mean you would spend close to 1000 MORE than a mb. again we are talking about most people. not the mba target market lol.

We are talking about most people once again like YOU brought up. this is ridiculous how you would recommend this to once again most people....

Why recommend less power but will cost you a lot more for "most" people. maybe the target market sure lol who would benefit from the size reduction

yea these people are the target market. not the family who are getting a primary computer i would bet

That's right, it could. but it doesnt mean it SHOULD for most people (once again i said most like YOU brought up). the target market is for those who want a companion computer when away from main machine lol. EVEN IN THIS CASE, a mb and mbp would suffice for" most" people. Its the people that really want one for no real reason other than it's cool or would truly benefit from the size and weight that would get the mba

you logic is like reccomending a Rolls Royce/ Ferrari whatever because you COULD use it as a main car. Should you use it as your daily driver? not a chance in hell

im not bashing, just trying to PREVENT you from reccomending this machine as a primary computer for most people. most people on these forums would agree i bet hands down besides you apparently

not everyone is made of cash so cost and features/cost are a concern to many. those that DO have the cash probably have a computer before they get the mba

I don't recommend this machine as a primary machine. I'm simply stating that for me, the MBA can function as my primary machine and if it can work for me, it can work for others that use their computers for less tasks than I do. When people come in and ask about the MBA, my coworkers and I dish out the full list of disclaimers in regards to what the MBA lacks. However, plenty of people are willing to make that sacrifice. None of your analogies make any sense, either. Buying the MBA as opposed to the MB is more akin to buying a Mini as opposed to a Corolla. It costs more and has slightly less functionality, but, for some people, it can function as a person's primary car. Your statements make absolutely no sense at all.

Freyqq
Jan 22, 2008, 02:32 PM

yeah

MBA is a secondary computer. Its just not designed to be a primary computer..so you couldn't really have it in a college setting..assuming you have only one computer. Instead, they target it at people who have a desktop and need portability..but ultimately use their desktop for real work. Honestly, if all you're doing is light stuff on the road..you don't need a $1700 computer. I don't see how a 2 lbs heavier macbook is so much less portable. Heck, I take my MBP 15" to class and take notes with no problems on those small lecture hall desks.

The MBA is "cool" but i don't see students buying it. Prob more the executive/professional crowd that have a desktop in the office but need to meet clients and want to look as "hip" and "cool" as possible with their shiny new 3 lbs computer. One thing about the professional world is that appearances and first impressions are far more important than you might think.

BOSS10L
Jan 23, 2008, 07:15 AM
I would love to have a lighter MBA so I can carry my Mac round the house more easily (and use it on the toilet).

Mr. Jobs is missing out on a golden opportunity (pun intended) for advertising to another demographic! I can just see the commercial now...

<Fade in>
Mac: "Hello, I'm a Mac."
PC: "And I'm a PC."

Mac: "What's wrong PC, you look kind of down..."
PC: "Well Mac, I was taking a dump yesterday, wishing I could check my stock portfolio. With investor fears in the crapper (again, pun intended), I need to stay on top of things."
Mac: "Well, if you have a Macbook Air, that wouldn't be a problem! It's so thin and light! Besides, didn't I warn you not to get into the sub-prime lending market?"

<Fade to Apple logo...>

:D

FWIW, wouldn't a nice PDA or iPod Touch do the same thing? One could purchase a MB & Touch for less than an MBA.

TechHistorian
Jan 23, 2008, 08:12 AM

Oh, please! Drop the anti-Apple schtick. It's wearing thin. If you cannot or do not understand why an ASUS EEE is a crippled machine for students, writers, professionals, and anyone else who does more than type a few lines at a time to post to web site, than be quiet.

I, and anybody else who writes a great deal with their computers, would much prefer the larger screen and better keyboard of the MBA over an EEE. I can envision writing a manuscript on an MBA. Anybody who tries to do the same on an EEE is either a masochist or incompetent. Just try taking 75 minutes' worth of notes from a lecture on an EEE. It can't even do that well. And forget about editing a PowerPoint presentation on the fly with the thing. Yes, it can be done. But why would you even bother when more capable tools are available?

Those who write for a living need a decent screen and keyboard. Everything else is negotiable. Some will prefer the lightness of the MBA; others will prefer the ports, speed, and graphics of the MB/MBP. But in neither case will the EEE suffice.

If cost is all that matters (and your constant harping on price seems to indicate this), pencil/pen and paper are immensely cheaper. No hard disk failures, no compatibility issues, and much, much lighter than even an EEE.

But for those of us who are professionals, the MBA is a decent option. Remember, business tax deductions help lessen the total cost of the MBA. For those used to buying computers as a hobby, yeah, the MBA is expensive. For businesses, institutions, and those who are self-employed, the MBA is a viable alternative for anyone who needs to work with Office and its competitors.

I don't think many undergrads will flock to the MBA, especially since gaming on it is limited at best. But for grad students in the humanities who aren't into digital media, the MBA offers a nice compromise between power and portability. Personally, I prefer my MBP since I don't fly all that much and I don't have to walk far to reach the archives and libraries I access currently. But were I traveling extensively for research at the moment, I might be inclined toward the MBA -- especially if I were back in Britain as the PRO in Kew is a bit of a hike from the Underground.

ctt1wbw
Jan 23, 2008, 08:24 AM

I have a powerful Mac desktop and powerful PC for that matter. I wanted a lightweight durable laptop to tunnel to my main desktops and to give me a way to surf the web, run non gaming apps away from home between classes. I have no Mac laptop so this was a good choice for me. Currently I live off my iphone for some of that this will be a great extension of that. I just happen to be in the market for a notebook and was days away purchasing a MB when the air was announced, so i am ecstatic.

Surely you can't be serious! This laptop doesn't have an optical drive!!!! OMFJD!!!! How can you watch a dvd on it??!!? This isn't a student or professional laptop because it doesn't have an optical drive!!!!

Just kidding of course. I'm still having loads of fun making fun of people who use that excuse. I plan on buying one myself and I go to ITT Tech. :)

phoxrenvatio
Jan 23, 2008, 10:49 AM

i'm a student, and no my parents wouldn't be paying for it, and i think it'd be useful. i'm savin' up for it and an imac, and i dont see wut the big deal is. it is not meant to be someone's main/only computer. it is meant to be a secondary computer. you don't always need the fastest, and most expandable thing with you, this is the computer you take with you enough that it becomes a pain to always be plugging in/out of things.

phoxrenvatio
Jan 23, 2008, 10:53 AM

It's almost as if everyone here thinks Apple screwed them by "wasting" their design effort on something for "poser" computer users. Not every product has to be perfect for everyone and not everyone needs the fastest computer with the most ports.

amen to that

phoxrenvatio
Jan 23, 2008, 11:10 AM
idk if anyone remembers this, but in the months leading up to the MBA announcement, with rumors circling around about an ultraportable, people were saying how they wouldn't mind paying a premium for a computer with less, as long as it was smaller/lighter than current models(MB/MBP). they hoped it wouldn't have an optical drive, ect.

now the device they prayed for is here- and everyone hates it.

HLdan
Jan 23, 2008, 11:19 AM
idk if anyone remembers this, but in the months leading up to the MBA announcement, with rumors circling around about an ultraportable, people were saying how they wouldn't mind paying a premium for a computer with less, as long as it was smaller/lighter than current models(MB/MBP). they hoped it wouldn't have an optical drive, ect.

now the device they prayed for is here- and everyone hates it.

Come on dude, read between the lines, they don't hate it, they want it, it's just that when Apple makes something new that satisfies people's needs they complain because they can't think of anything to complain about. After a couple of months of complaining go by those same people become buyers of the product.
Then after they get it they complain on the forums that it's too hot, the battery is okay but not perfect, complain that the palm rests get dirty, complain that the aluminum is too cold at times, complain that they wish Apple made the keys aluminum color and not black.
They do all but return the computer or sell it. The world is for some reason turned on by creating drama.
My thing is, if you really don't like something a company has designed but you want it to be better build it yourself and shut the hell up.

dukebound85
Jan 23, 2008, 02:12 PM
i'm a student, and no my parents wouldn't be paying for it, and i think it'd be useful. i'm savin' up for it and an imac, and i dont see wut the big deal is. it is not meant to be someone's main/only computer. it is meant to be a secondary computer. you don't always need the fastest, and most expandable thing with you, this is the computer you take with you enough that it becomes a pain to always be plugging in/out of things.

if you read my posts thats what im saying...

Datagears
Jan 24, 2008, 11:16 AM
Surely you can't be serious! This laptop doesn't have an optical drive!!!! OMFJD!!!! How can you watch a dvd on it??!!? This isn't a student or professional laptop because it doesn't have an optical drive!!!!

Just kidding of course. I'm still having loads of fun making fun of people who use that excuse. I plan on buying one myself and I go to ITT Tech. :)

Lol.... That is why i mentioned the "adult student part" and that I had other PC's. If I didn't already have a 24" iMac at home I would never have considered this notebook. And I would never recommend this notebook to anyone who didnt' already have a primary machine.

I was a database designer for ten years before I went back to school. I am very particular about a machines having everything for the money you spend. But you don't buy a toaster to make you steak. Some people will buy this because it exactly fits their needs. I am part of demographic Apple was looking at. Sure people will buy it because it is cool looking. That actually was not a deciding factor for me. I like it's case more than the polycarbonate case. To get the alluminum case you had to go with a MBP, which i didn't need. I can't tell you the last time i needed to watch a DVD from a laptop (unless it was a trip). Alot of my course work at UW is web-based content as well as research and everything on campus is wireless.

So who is the target demo....
People who have money to spend on a secondary machine. That need portability and are highly integrated into wireless world.

Is that your normal student. No. But it is useful to students who have a need and can afford it.

Isn't that the Apple company Motto... "We market to people with money"