Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmb499

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
if i wanted to watch a dvd using my computer as a dvd player for my tv, will ATV be able to play the movie on my tv?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
can you suggest a way to do this?

Well, if you rip the DVD to your computer and put it in your iTunes library, your Apple TV will be able to see it and play it. It takes a while, though, at least approximately real time (a 2-hour movie will take about 2 hours to rip and encode).

dmb499

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
ok, thanks for your help guys! is there some type of cord i can use instead of spending $229 on an ATV just to play things on my tv from my macbook? i know there is, but i'm just not sure what i need. any help would be appreciated.

jarenado

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Florida
a dvi- to hdmi cable, and a mini dvi to dvi adapter, or a mini dvi to vga adapter, and a vga cable. Vga cable will be cheapest and look really good. I hook my macbook up and use the apple remote. It is then basically an apple tv, and then you can also use a wireless keyboard and mouse and sit on your couch and use your computer.

Scandals

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2004
Canada
What would be awesome is if Apple released a DVD player for the :apple:TV that used the same Remote Disc technology as the MacBook Air.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Best option is what jarenado suggested - mini-DVI to DVI, then DVI to HDMI. Apple sells the first, others sell the second.

Alternatively, I think Apple still sells a min-DVI to S-video/composite video adapter for the MacBooks.

You'll also need an audio cable. Minimally, a 1/8" to RCA stereo or a Toslink optical cable with a mini-plug adapter. Your receiver would need an optical input.

dmb499

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Best option is what jarenado suggested - mini-DVI to DVI, then DVI to HDMI. Apple sells the first, others sell the second.

Alternatively, I think Apple still sells a min-DVI to S-video/composite video adapter for the MacBooks.

You'll also need an audio cable. Minimally, a 1/8" to RCA stereo or a Toslink optical cable with a mini-plug adapter. Your receiver would need an optical input.

thanks for your help, i appreciate it!

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
What would be really cool, and I can actually see this happening when Apple officially adopts Blu-Ray:

A MacBook Air style USB Blu-Ray player that connects to the AppleTV. Crossing my fingers for this!

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
What would be really cool, and I can actually see this happening when Apple officially adopts Blu-Ray:

A MacBook Air style USB Blu-Ray player that connects to the AppleTV. Crossing my fingers for this!

Looks like it might do it sooner than you think.... 10.5.2 - at least on the Mac end, most likely not on AppleTV:

http://babygotmac.com/a/leopard-105...tacks-translucent-menu-bar-and-remote-backup/

Thanks to our friendly tipster, “ES”, for sending over a few screen captures from the latest Leopard 10.5.2 build, which adds these features (more details and screens when we get them):

• DVD/CD Sharing, as seen on the new Macbook Air
  • Time Machine can backup to a network drive
  • Translucent Menu bar option in Desktop Preferences
  • Better Stacks options, including List, Folder and Grid views

Attachments

• picture-81-1.png
    picture-81-1.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 100

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
^ I wouldn't have a problem with that!

I do have a relatively large collection of DVDs and I plan on picking up a Blu-Ray player at some point. Being able to insert a disk in my Mac and then watching it on an :apple:TV elsewhere in the house would be awesome!

Nosoforos

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
how about .TS

I was wondering if AppleTV does now play .TS files. Frontrow can, since Leopard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.