PDA

View Full Version : Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive ok for the iMac?

andychris02
Jan 21, 2008, 02:28 AM
Hi,

I want to buy an external dvd drive for my iMac just to have as a spare and so I can use for DVD reading when playing games and watching movies and I was wondering if the new Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive would be useable with the iMac?

I had a look at it on the Apple store site and there was nothing to say that it wouldn't work but I was just wondering if anyone knew otherwise.

Thanks for your time.

VZGuy
Jan 21, 2008, 03:35 AM
Looks to me that the Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive will only work with the Air.. Something about the power from 1 USB cable not 2 like other drives out there. But it has yet to be confirmed... So its anyones guess...

MacSA
Jan 21, 2008, 04:25 AM
I really don't understand Apple sometimes. This external DVD burner would have been a great accessory for the Macs that still sell with a combodrive. Instead people who want to burn DVD's are forced to buy third party products. :rolleyes:

ascham87
Jan 21, 2008, 06:52 AM
I see it only being MBA compatible because getting the power it needs from 1 USB port is somewhat of a feat. I think that's crazy and probably accomplished via magic only found in the Air :D

Nichod
Jan 21, 2008, 09:39 AM
I see it only being MBA compatible because getting the power it needs from 1 USB port is somewhat of a feat. I think that's crazy and probably accomplished via magic only found in the Air :D

Someone talked about using a powered external usb hub.