Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My prayers also go out to the victims and their families. According to news it is the worst disaster in history, because of the 10 deaths. It is a very sad story.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I feel sorry for the victims. Having said that, I feel that the ferry company (NY/NJ-PA?) should carry some of the blame for;
1) Buying a ferry that could not withstand the crash.
2) Remodeing the Ferry Dock to be composed of new materials.

I say these things not to be insensitive, but becuase it seems wrong that there should be such a cost for such an accident. I live in the Seattle area and the Puget Sound, ferries are used to transport people from the west to the east. (Bridges being cost prohibitve). In 75 years, there have been several crashes, and several deaths (on the old wooden boats, remodeled or retired by 1979), and since 1980, there have been dock crashes, and runnings aground, but never was the side of a ferry ripped off, or any internal dammage caused from such accidents. There have not been any accident related deaths in 25 years on the Washington State Ferries. Why in the Largest single city in the US, they cannot have a ferry that is made structurally sound, so this kind of thing can't happen??

TEG

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Staten Island Ferry Crash Leaves 10 Dead

...The ferry pilot, responsible for docking the vessel, fled the scene immediately after the crash, went to his Staten Island home and attempted suicide by slitting his wrists and shooting himself with a pellet gun, a police official told The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity. The pilot was rushed to the same hospital as many of the victims and underwent surgery.

After interviewing another crew member, authorities began investigating whether the pilot was asleep at the wheel as the boat approached land, a law enforcement source told the AP...
:rolleyes:

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by TEG
I feel sorry for the victims. Having said that, I feel that the ferry company (NY/NJ-PA?) should carry some of the blame for;
1) Buying a ferry that could not withstand the crash.
2) Remodeing the Ferry Dock to be composed of new materials.

I say these things not to be insensitive, but becuase it seems wrong that there should be such a cost for such an accident. I live in the Seattle area and the Puget Sound, ferries are used to transport people from the west to the east. (Bridges being cost prohibitve). In 75 years, there have been several crashes, and several deaths (on the old wooden boats, remodeled or retired by 1979), and since 1980, there have been dock crashes, and runnings aground, but never was the side of a ferry ripped off, or any internal dammage caused from such accidents. There have not been any accident related deaths in 25 years on the Washington State Ferries. Why in the Largest single city in the US, they cannot have a ferry that is made structurally sound, so this kind of thing can't happen??

TEG

Oh come on, even the Titanic sank. The Staten Island Ferry on the other hand, did not sink despite running into a dock at full speed. The problem is not in the structural integrity of the Ferry or the dock. Ferries should not be running into docks. An investigation is still ongoing, and speculation abounds about the captain being under the influence or possibly even asleep. This was a human fault, not a technological one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.