PDA

View Full Version : Apple's iTunes Music Store and Pepsi?

MacRumors
Oct 16, 2003, 07:45 AM
The LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-apple16oct16,1,3276726.story) reports that Apple Computer may be teaming up with Pepsi to promote the iTunes Music Store.

According to the LA Times, Apple and Pepsi are expected to announce a promotion deal that would give Pepsi purchasers free songs from the iTunes Music Store based on finding codes in Pepsi packaging.

The sources said Pepsi was expected to craft a multimillion-dollar ad campaign around the music store, which charges 99 cents for each song.

If true, more details will presumably be revealed at the press conference scheduled later today.

CheekyGit
Oct 16, 2003, 07:48 AM
I'll drink to that!!

sososowhat
Oct 16, 2003, 07:48 AM
Very cool. I don't follow ad campaigns much but Pepsi seems to be big into Music:

Pepsi's Music Page (http://www.pepsi.com/music/index.php)

tyson12zoll
Oct 16, 2003, 07:50 AM
Sounds kinda sleazy. I would loose a bit of respect for apple teaming up with someone like Pepsi. Keep it real Apple!

neonart
Oct 16, 2003, 07:51 AM
And now Pepsi has been refomulated so you can spill it all over Apple products and nothing happens*. Therefore Pepsi is the choice drink for Powerbook users everywhere!

*Claims based on already fried hardware, results may vary.

Arcady
Pepsi sucks.

Microsoft is to Apple, as Pepsi is to Coke.

Just nasty. Why would they team up with a company that imitated the original?

sososowhat
Originally posted by tyson12zoll
. Keep it real Apple!
As in Coke?

neonart
Oct 16, 2003, 07:55 AM
Sounds kinda sleazy. I would loose a bit of respect for apple teaming up with someone like Pepsi. Keep it real Apple!

I see your point, but remember kids love music and iPods, and Pepsi has that "youth market" well thought out.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

blueBomber
Oct 16, 2003, 07:55 AM
and the hits just keep on coming...
all of these rumors coming in for the music store is crazy!
It seems that this is building up to eclipse the G5 announcement.

mac15
Oct 16, 2003, 07:56 AM
its a pity, I'm a fan of Coke myself. But Pepsi is one big player. Well done apple!

DaveGee
Oct 16, 2003, 07:56 AM
For what it's worth... Coke is the 'drink of choice' at the redmond campus of MS - Their break rooms are always stocked with the stuff.

Well it was in the mid 90's when I visited them anyway...

Soon after I learned this I 'switched' to Pepsi. :D

D

machan
Oct 16, 2003, 07:57 AM
if apple wants to get a bigger slice of market share, they're going to have to do stuff like this to get it. granted, it's a bit like watching your favorite indie band sign to a major label, but hopefully their next album won't suck superbad because of this.

scem0
Oct 16, 2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by neonart
I see your point, but remember kids love music and iPods, and Pepsi has that "youth market" well thought out.

exactly.

this is a really good idea......

It would open up iTMS to ignorant teenage PC users who want free **** from pepsi..... all 30 million of them... ;).

I think this is a GREAT way for apple to promote iTMS.
Originally posted by Arcady
Pepsi sucks.

Because the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

scem0

tyson12zoll
Oct 16, 2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by sososowhat
As in Coke?

No, as in stay real to the products they sell. WTF does Pepsi have to do with Apple? Pepsi Co. sucks dude. Maybe all you sugar mongers just can't see through it.

Mr. MacPhisto
Oct 16, 2003, 08:01 AM
I'm not a big Pepsi fan, but I like the idea of a cross promotion because it has the great potential of reaching out to people who may not otherwise try your product - and everybody drinks soda (practically). Most people nowadays are not loyal to Coke or Pepsi, they drink whatever is the least expensive or whatever they feel like.

I can see Pepsi having free CD-ROMs @ their displays with the new iTunes for Windows (and the Mac version too, maybe). I can see CDs with iTunes stuffed inside of 12 pack boxes. Displays in supermarkets and quicky marts tauting iTunes and the iTMS. Commercials on MTV, NBC, ABC, and FOX during the World Series.

Apple is aiming to dominate the digital music market. I think dominance there will also lead to more sales of Mac hardware. I'm personally of the opinion that Apple will be back over 5% by this time next year as PC manufacturers crumble and Intel and MS are faced with more delays.

balconycollapse
Oct 16, 2003, 08:02 AM
double post forgive me..this forum is more appropriate

pjtro ya beat me too it! but your soooooo right!

edit: wjdennen!!! crazy, i was joking about the pepsi thing and you posted legitimate info while i was typing this!!! insane!!! well maybe this could be a reality when pepsi promotes something they crush the competition...i wonder if we will see brittany spears or bobdole with an ipod now...back to my original just woke up silly post...

"just one look" starts playing (like in that pepsi commercial with cindy crawford in daisy dukes)

picture the "cool" guy/girl walking into class with a pair of mysterious white headphones on. Sits down at his/her desk. Said member of the opposite sex eyes the white player, makes goo goo eyes. The guy/girl thinks its them and not the ipod. They unsheath the accesory and record the entire lecture. Everyone in class is salivating. Professor even has to stop talking for a second so distracted at the cool gadget. Thinking of ways to divert 400 dollars from his checking without to much wife hassle. The "i missed the lecture wanna study together" channel is opened up. The guy/girl wins! The smitten party gets to hang out with an ipod, and they win too!

P.S.
Listen to
Mr. MacPhisto
He is dead on!!

Last edited by balconycollapse on 10-16-2003 at 07:47 AM

Aeolius
Oct 16, 2003, 08:04 AM
Apple should have partnered with Budweiser's "True Music" promotion.

SiliconAddict
Oct 16, 2003, 08:06 AM
In the words of Mr. Burns. Excellllllent.

:rolleyes: Who gives a crap who they team up with as along as it gives iTMS and the iPod more exposure. You guys scare me. Ooooo Pepsi sucks they should be doing it with Coke! :rolleyes:

What next? They are doing something with Mc Donald’s and you guys spit on it because it isn't with BK?

Personally I think this is cool and most likely something the other "players" aren't even thinking about at this point.

Personally I hate Pepsi but love Wild Cherry Pepsi. Yummy.

TheFish
Oct 16, 2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by neonart

hey i take offense to that, i woud have gone with coke, pepsi is another one of those companies that promotes evreything through a rap song of some sort. well, i guess it makes sence now that i think about it

neonart
Oct 16, 2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Aeolius
Apple should have partnered with Budweiser's "True Music" promotion.

They'll get lots of customers from my state - good ol' GA. (and AL)

PeteyKohut
Oct 16, 2003, 08:11 AM
Apple.....and Pepsi??? I can't help but have nightmares about John Sculley joining Apple.

jholzner
Oct 16, 2003, 08:16 AM
Pepsi sucks.

You beat me to it! Coke all the way!

crees!
Oct 16, 2003, 08:21 AM
Maybe all you sugar mongers just can't see through it.

Sugar? Geez, what happened to the day when Coca-Cola actually had Cocaine in their drinks. There's a history lesson for you. Could explain M$ behavior. Maybe Coke had some leftover batches of it and sold it all to M$. :D

kcmac
Oct 16, 2003, 08:21 AM
Apple is getting paid by Pepsi for the songs. Pepsi is creating an advertising campaign based around the iPod that Pepsi is paying for.

How can this not be good for Apple?

Apple has taken over the mp3 player market. They have the best Tunes store out there. The others are just trying to get in the game.

With this move, Apple is creating new rules for the game. And I would have to believe that this is only the beginning.

1macker1
Oct 16, 2003, 08:26 AM
I dont support Pepsi, so i wont be a part of this program. And I know many others that dont support Pepsi......oh well.

gotohamish
Oct 16, 2003, 08:27 AM
Maybe the marketing department have been reading too many autobiographies.

Click away:
HERE'S THE LINK! (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0788169491/qid=1066310783/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_3/103-0579835-0171049?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

pinks
Oct 16, 2003, 08:31 AM
It seems that wee Stevie is getting into this kind of cross-promotion activity....Pixar's "Finding Nemo" is being heavily promoted by McDonalds and their Happy Meals here in the UK.

I know that the BBC (that is BBC Worldwide, the corp's commercial arm) took the desicion not to use McDonald's in cross-promotions for its programmes because of social and moral concerns of promoting the consumption of fast food to young children, etc.

I'm not initially as concerned though by the possibility of an Apple-Pepsi promotion as it is likely to be aimed at a more mature (late-teenage, young adult) market... hopefully.

Anyway, food for thought!

Al

slowtreme
Oct 16, 2003, 08:33 AM
I hate pepsi. I won't buy any of thier drink products.

gotohamish
Oct 16, 2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by pinks
It seems that wee Stevie is getting into this kind of cross-promotion activity....Pixar's "Finding Nemo" is being heavily promoted by McDonalds and their Happy Meals here in the UK.

I know that the BBC (that is BBC Worldwide, the corp's commercial arm) took the desicion not to use McDonald's in cross-promotions for its programmes because of social and moral concerns of promoting the consumption of fast food to young children, etc.

I'm not initially as concerned though by the possibility of an Apple-Pepsi promotion as it is likely to be aimed at a more mature (late-teenage, young adult) market... hopefully.

Anyway, food for thought!

Al

I don't think it's the same thing. Pixar's Finding Nemo is a Disney picture, and Disney ALWAYS promote their films through McDonalds.

McDonalds probably have nothing to do with Pixar.

pinks
Oct 16, 2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by gotohamish
I don't think it's the same thing. Pixar's Finding Nemo is a Disney picture, and Disney ALWAYS promote their films through McDonalds.

McDonalds probably have nothing to do with Pixar.

Good point, well made!

jayscheuerle
Oct 16, 2003, 08:37 AM
One of the world's most recognizable brands teams up with another of the world's most recognizable brands.

Does Pepsi have anything to lose by being associated with delusional, elitist Apple zealots in a Microsoft world?

Gimme a break! All this does is open up marketing possibilities. I don't drink soda, but Coke's branding is much more recognizable to me. The last Pepsi commercial I remember seeing (I don't watch much TV!), was the one with Cindy Crawford, but those "Always CocaCola" jingles ingrained themselves pretty well.

- j

jayscheuerle
Oct 16, 2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by slowtreme
I hate pepsi. I won't buy any of thier drink products.

Interesting...:confused:

Why not? What makes them different than any other soda company?

mechamac
Oct 16, 2003, 08:41 AM
Does Apple want to sell sugared water or do they...wait, nevermind....

balconycollapse
Oct 16, 2003, 08:42 AM
" In October 1997, PepsiCo spun off the restaurant businesses (Pizza Hut, KFC and Taco Bell) and Tricon was founded. May 16, 2002 Tricon officially became YUM! Brands with the addition of two new brands, Long John Silver's and A&W. YUM! Brands is now the parent company Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC, A&W and Long John Silver's. When combined these organizations now make up the world's largest restaurant group."

ooo...and add Frito-Lay and Quaker.

Thats alot of cross marketing opportunity!

If a bleary eyed high school student at 7 am is chugging a mountain dew and then looks at the bottom of his can to reveal he has won 2 free songs he will really like Apple. Associate good feelings!

JayBee
Oct 16, 2003, 08:44 AM
<thoughts type="numbered list">

1 - jeez. Naysayers everywhere!

2 - Pepsi is the "think different" brand of coke. It's like going for the Volkswagen over the Mini, and totally fits with Apple's brand. Perhaps not their history, but since when does history have anything to do with brand?

3 - This is only the beginning. Pepsi is well-known for being the "music" cola brand, and I think the fact that Apple is showing that it's willing to get its message out ther on the back of cross promos can only be a good thing. Up until now, Apple's marketing (even the "switch" campaign to a great extent) has been focussed on its existing audience. That's good and important, but won't expand your market particularly quickly. This "carrot and stick" of "cool and hardware" can only be good for Apple.

</thoughts>

JayBee
Oct 16, 2003, 08:45 AM
also, does this mean we can't drink the Kool-aid anymore?

Belly-laughs
Oct 16, 2003, 08:46 AM
Pepsi X!

Let the tunes roll!

crees!
Oct 16, 2003, 08:48 AM
Sorry guys, but if you don't have promotion you don't have anything and are dead in the water. There's nothing wrong with teaming up with a company that has their feet firmly planted in this area. I mean what are you scared off, OS 10.3.Pepsi?

BTW, I don't drink soda so I guess none of this applies to me.

fixyourthinking
Oct 16, 2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by kcmac
Apple is getting paid by Pepsi for the songs. Pepsi is creating an advertising campaign based around the iPod that Pepsi is paying for.

How can this not be good for Apple?

Apple has taken over the mp3 player market. They have the best Tunes store out there. The others are just trying to get in the game.

With this move, Apple is creating new rules for the game. And I would have to believe that this is only the beginning.

There aren't many Pepsi drinkers that are offended by Coke ads (I guess they just realize that Coke IS better) However, there are Coke drinkers that are offended by Pepsi Users. Yes, I said offended.

In my opinion, Pepsi tastes like Diet Coke or like it doesn't have real sugar.

Also, Coke has the SAME brand loyalty that Apple does. People will buy anything Apple branded, just as they will buy Coke Santas, Polar Bears and Christmas Ornaments.

This is the same rationale as the Al Gore decision. Not many people would have been offended if say, George Bush Sr would have joined Apple's board, but A LOT of people were offended by Al Gore on the board.

DGFan
Oct 16, 2003, 08:57 AM
This would be a wonderful idea.

When iTMS came out people compared it to crack. This is a really good way to have the "first one's free" to get them addicted.

Pepsi gives them a few free songs and then they decide to buy 200 more plus an iPod. Sounds like a great plan!!!!

balconycollapse
Oct 16, 2003, 08:58 AM
Are you kidding? If Shrub Sr. had joined Apple board i would be incredibly offended.

Pepsi has waaay more sugar then coke. That's why it has more calories. But, to each his own regarding taste buds.

Rocketman
Oct 16, 2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors
The LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-apple16oct16,1,3276726.story) reports that Apple Computer may be teaming up with Pepsi to promote the iTunes Music Store.

According to the LA Times, Apple and Pepsi are expected to announce a promotion deal that would give Pepsi purchasers free songs from the iTunes Music Store based on finding codes in Pepsi packaging.

If true, more details will presumably be revealed at the press conference scheduled later today.

Since Pepsi advertises about two orders of magnitude more than Apple Computer, this can only be extremely, sensationally, good news.

Jobs seems to rock. Hard.

Rocketman

xtoph
Oct 16, 2003, 09:12 AM
Pepsi advertising for Apple: :D

Apple advertising for Pepsi: :mad:

I just don't want iTunes to turn into Ad-Ware, and force me to watch Pepsi commercials while organizing my music.

Probably won't happen that way though.

phgreer
Oct 16, 2003, 09:14 AM
This isn't the first time Apple has had a connection with Pepsi

coughcoughCEOcoughcough

Lancetx
Oct 16, 2003, 09:15 AM
I also think Pepsi sucks, but this will be good exposure for Apple and Pepsi both, it's definitely a win-win situation. Hell, I might even buy a can of Pepsi for the first time in years if it has a big Apple logo on it. :p But seriously, this can only be a good thing for Apple publicity wise.

srobert
Oct 16, 2003, 09:17 AM
Pepsi sucks.

Amen

Juventuz
Oct 16, 2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by 1macker1
I dont support Pepsi, so i wont be a part of this program. And I know many others that dont support Pepsi......oh well.

Yes, but there are MILLIONS of people who do drink Pepsi so it doesn't really matter.

Now why couldn't the team up with RC?

Trogdor
Oct 16, 2003, 09:24 AM
Why can't they team up with Faygo? iTunes flavored Faygo would be cool. Or maybe iTunes Caffeine Free Diet-Rite. Or iTunes TAB

nagromme
Oct 16, 2003, 09:25 AM
FYI... I'm glad they went with Pepsi and not Coke, even though I preferred Coke until joining this boycott regarding their global conduct:
http://www.corpwatch.org/issues/PID.jsp?articleid=7508

"... a series of community struggles against Coca-Cola in India, all of which point to a pattern in the company's operations. The communities are left thirsting as Coca-Cola draws water from the common water resources. Its operations are polluting the scarce water that remains."

"... We are faced with a situation where Indian investors will own 49% of Coca-Cola's Indian operations, but have no vote whatsoever! Just like in the Enron case, the US government played a significant role...."

And potentially scariest of all:

"Coca-Cola's main Latin American bottler is facing trial for allegedly hiring right wing paramilitary forces (aka death squads) to murder and intimidate trade union organizers, especially from the union, Sinaltrainal. The suit has been brought under the Alien Tort Claims Act, which allows corporations to be sued in the US for crimes committed overseas."

Having noted that, I'd prefer to buy from a smaller company than from Pepsi, either! But I guess Apple needed a big corporation to partner with, not a little guy.

Hawthorne
Oct 16, 2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by JayBee
also, does this mean we can't drink the Kool-aid anymore?

Okay, that's the funniest thing I've seen in these forums in months. :) :D

DrDookie01
Oct 16, 2003, 09:33 AM
Just for thought:

Lets say that it wasn't iTMS that was teaming up with Pepsi? Remember that BuyMusic has songs for sale at 99˘... so what would that do for iTMS? Maybe then Apple will go Coke, and it becomes a major music/cola war...

But in any case, I think that it's great that Apple is teaming up with other compaines to "show-off" their stuff (e.g. VW and iPod....)

crawdad62
Oct 16, 2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Trogdor
Why can't they team up with Faygo? iTunes flavored Faygo would be cool. Or maybe iTunes Caffeine Free Diet-Rite. Or iTunes TAB

Yeah all three of you that drink that stuff ought to really push the market share.:)

xtekdiver
Oct 16, 2003, 09:36 AM
Does this mean we get to see Beyonce's tits jiggling some more while holding an iPod and dancing with a pink background?!? I think I'm feeling naughty...baby.

1macker1
Oct 16, 2003, 09:38 AM
Another failed marketing scheme in the making. No wonder 98% of the population uses PC's.

mechamac
Oct 16, 2003, 09:39 AM
I think it's awesome. I'll be buying Pepsi for sure. Viva Apple.

FlamDrag
Oct 16, 2003, 09:40 AM
I don't enjoy Pepsi, but this is should do wonders for the iPod and iTMS.

I suspect that Apple's thought process is as follows:

iTMS is to CPU sales as Wine Cooler is to Hard Liquor

Get folks started on something cheap and yummy and let them climb the ladder to the expensive stuff that will have them dependent for life.

gotohamish
Oct 16, 2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by adzoox
There aren't many Pepsi drinkers that are offended by Coke ads (I guess they just realize that Coke IS better) However, there are Coke drinkers that are offended by Pepsi Users. Yes, I said offended.

In my opinion, Pepsi tastes like Diet Coke or like it doesn't have real sugar.

Also, Coke has the SAME brand loyalty that Apple does. People will buy anything Apple branded, just as they will buy Coke Santas, Polar Bears and Christmas Ornaments.

This is the same rationale as the Al Gore decision. Not many people would have been offended if say, George Bush Sr would have joined Apple's board, but A LOT of people were offended by Al Gore on the board.

QUIT WHINGING ALL OF YOU!

Pepsi is Pepsi.
Coke it Coke.
Apples are Apples.

THEY ARE DIFFERENT PRODUCTS.

THE DRINK IS COLA. Not Coke, COLA.

Just as beer is BEER. I prefer Sam Adams to Bud, but I don't hate Bud because of this, I just don't buy it. Because we all have this choice.

It's a huge marketing campaign which will be GOOD for Apple. And don't start on evil corporate Pepsi rubbish, that's tired and old. Most of you probably bought your Mac on a credit card whose company does something unethical.

ONE MORE THING...

This is promoted ON THE PACKAGING, not IN THE DRINK. Think of going to the store and seeing 100 Pepsi bottles all with little Apple logos and iPods. How is this bad?

No one has to buy it, but each bottle, whether stacked on a shelf, or empty in a gutter, is an advert for the iPod we all love.

THIS IS A GOOD THING.

And... relax.

spinner
Oct 16, 2003, 09:49 AM
<rant> I can't believe some of you guys. We sit around and bitch all day about Apple not advertising enough, now that they have teamed up with someone and are going to get a buttload of free marketing, you're bitching because its not the right company. Who honestly ****ing cares!?!? Its FREE promotion of Apple's products getting into the hands of millions of people who might not otherwise have known it even existed. Its deals like this that will win back more market share, and get Apple more RD money so that they can make us even more cool toys. </rant>

What's really surprising is that no said, "Why didn't they team up with Starbucks, after all everyone drinks coffee ." :rolleyes:

jayscheuerle
Oct 16, 2003, 09:50 AM
Silhouettes of our blubbery, sugar-infested youth jiggling away in a Pepsi-sponsored iPod commercial.

Maybe they could get some shots of Rerun from "What's Happening" pulling some hefty dance moves.

Perhaps Apple will invent the iKidney to assist all these future diabetics...

1macker1
Oct 16, 2003, 09:53 AM
If Windows users dont like iTMS for windows, then this is all for nothing. You'll just have 98% of the people throwing away drink caps.

pmcaleer
Oct 16, 2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Silhouettes of our blubbery, sugar-infested youth jiggling away in a Pepsi-sponsored iPod commercial.

Maybe they could get some shots of Rerun from "What's Happening" pulling some hefty dance moves.

Ah, yes, because we can blame everything on soda. Not genetics or what-have-you, but soda. Soda is the root of all evil, and Apple is going down with it! Riiiight!

Besides, it's good to see more fat people on TV.

lynnpye
Oct 16, 2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle

Okay, now that's humor. Roll on!

jayscheuerle
Oct 16, 2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by pmcaleer
Ah, yes, because we can blame everything on soda. Not genetics or what-have-you, but soda. Soda is the root of all evil, and Apple is going down with it! Riiiight!

Besides, it's good to see more fat people on TV.

Or we can blame it all on genetics. :rolleyes:

Wash!!
Oct 16, 2003, 10:03 AM
Pepsi sucks.

Maybe they should gone with RC or Dr. Pepper o no wait Fanta, or Crush no wait Root Beer...:D

Toppa G's
Oct 16, 2003, 10:12 AM
Since I am on a Pepsi-only campus, I can collect all kinds of caps...Free music for me! :D

eric_n_dfw
Oct 16, 2003, 10:15 AM
Diet Pepsi iz l337

:rolleyes:

bpd115
Oct 16, 2003, 10:17 AM
Dear People,

It's Soda. Get over it.

Is it healthy? No. Do people drink it? Yes. Does it cause diabeties or biothermal nuclar warfare? Not directly.

Is there any way this could backfire? Not unless angry coke zelots run out into their streets and smash their iPods in protest.

Just chill out and enjoy the Apple revolution.

backdraft
Oct 16, 2003, 10:26 AM
Let's see M$ copies Apple and Pepsi copies Coca Cola *vanilla Pepsi*

I'd rather see Apple a Coke together since they are the originals. Plus Coke tastes better!

-backdraft

P.S. You can't code with Pepsi you need something stronger Coke!:rolleyes:

JayBee
<horror type="comedy, you dumb asses">

Just thought - How tricky would it be to edit the iPod ads to replace the iPod with a Pepsi can... take away the wires and...

*GASP*

</horror>

fixyourthinking
Originally posted by gotohamish
QUIT WHINGING ALL OF YOU!

Pepsi is Pepsi.
Coke it Coke.
Apples are Apples.

THEY ARE DIFFERENT PRODUCTS.

THE DRINK IS COLA. Not Coke, COLA.

Just as beer is BEER. I prefer Sam Adams to Bud, but I don't hate Bud because of this, I just don't buy it. Because we all have this choice.

It's a huge marketing campaign which will be GOOD for Apple. And don't start on evil corporate Pepsi rubbish, that's tired and old. Most of you probably bought your Mac on a credit card whose company does something unethical.

This is promoted ON THE PACKAGING, not IN THE DRINK. Think of going to the store and seeing 100 Pepsi bottles all with little Apple logos and iPods. How is this bad?

No one has to buy it, but each bottle, whether stacked on a shelf, or empty in a gutter, is an advert for the iPod we all love.

I would disagree. Pepsi doesn't have nearly the brand loyalty Coke does. Coke also has a 54% (as of last month) of the ENTIRE drink market. Pepsi, a 31% share.

Apple needs to try to be as universal as possible. Coke is a more universal brand.

You are right, I am pleased that Apple is promoting - but it's not whining to critisize that decision.

My gripe about the new iPod Ad is that it doesn't say the word Apple anywhere ... just Mac or PC. This has ALWAYS been a problem with Apple. Most people just look at that ad say, looks cool, wonder who makes it?

I think the promotion will be good overall, just noting it could have been better for probably the same price/cross promotion cost.

As for real stats ... it is quite true that Coke is preferred 7 out 10 in taste tests. (And Vanilla Coke tastes awesome, Vanilla Pepsi is a wannabe)

reedm007
Oct 16, 2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by bpd115
Dear People,

It's Soda. Get over it.

No kidding! GEEEEEEEZ folks, I had no idea that a rumor like this could generate such tension. Maybe if instead of "teamed up" or "partnered" we re-word it such that "pepsi helps promote iTunes Music Store" everything would be okay?

I mean, Apple had their eBook at sweepstakes with Taco Bell, McDonalds, powerBooks in sweepstakes at Burger King, McDonalds, and many others. Maybe you're not a fan of one of those places, but nobody seemed to think that was a negative for Apple having a product in a promotion. So why is this a problem? If Pepsi is spending money, which will ultimately help promote iTMS, that's GREAT!! And it'll be a huge step toward getting iTMS to be so much more well known and popular than any other music service out there.

Mr. MacPhisto
Oct 16, 2003, 10:27 AM
The iKidney? Now that was funny!

I'm actually sure Apple could be a success marketing a whole gamut of products:

iKidney
iHeart
iBrain
iTesticles

And for the high-end users:

PowerKidney
PowerHeart
PowerBrain
PowerTesticles (I might order a set of those)

Humor aside, I don't understand the negativity. Most people don't draw much distinction between Pepsi and Coke - they buy what is there or they buy specific labels. For instance, I like regular Coke but prefer WildCherry Pepsi and things like Slice, etc that are Pepsi products (and LiveWire Mountain Dew, that stuff was awesome).

And I think many of the naysayers will a Pepsi soda if there are good odds they could pay $.75 for the Pepsi and get two songs (worth $1.98). Besides, it doesn't matter. It's someone else advertising for Apple and that is more media exposure. Maybe they'll have some grand prizes too - iPods and Dual G5s. I've got the iPod, but I'd buy Pepsi if I could win free songs easily and also have a shot at a G5 - which is out of my budget at the moment.

I think this is going to work and solidify Apple's hold on the digital music market. The iPod has sold 1.3 million units this year, over 330,000 in the last quarter alone. Apple's computer sales are recovering and, if they can give us some good offerings to end the year and start the next, I feel that next year will be Apple's best year ever. They're doing stuff that other manufacturers dream about. They have the best product margins in the business. They have the best looking and most innovative products AND, above all, the greatest Operating System on the planet is going to PANTHER. IBM is making chips. Apple is trying to reach out and expand its market. They're offering one of the fastest machines in the world at a good price. And, according to rumors, they're working on getting better Pro video cards in them. Why the pessimism guys? I think we're entering one of the most amazing times in computer history. The PC makers have slashed their prices so much that they can't survive. Intel is hitting delays, meaning Apple may be first to 90nm and 65nm. MS has announced delays in Longhorn with rumors that all is not going well. The x86 is reaching its limit and AMD is onboard with IBM and Apple to move the computer industry to PowerPC.

And Apple is reaching out. They're being seen in Best Buys and on their website. The Apple Stores have finally turned a profit and are drawing crowds. And we want to complain because Apple is allowing Pepsi to promote its offerings? WAAAAH! Give me a break!!! If this works out well then Apple has another foot in the door and an opening to sell more Macintoshs and put some dents in the M$/Intel hegemony.

VeeDubMac
Oct 16, 2003, 10:30 AM
It is already working.
I just drove through Taco Bell and I had this urge to buy a Pepsi. All b/c I thought it would be helping Apple in some roundabout way! And I prefer Dr. Pepper or Coke! :)

But really,
Two words:

Britney Spears.

This will be good for Apple.

snahabed
You people are nuts... Coke = inferior product, higher market share, no sense of style. Coke is soooo microsoft.

Pepsi = better product :) , lower market share, "mad stylin yo"

Pepsi and Apple is a match just like VW is. :)

Mmm I post this as a I sip on my frosty Diet Pepsi Vanilla, which makes Diet Vanilla Coke taste like battery acid in comparison!

All kidding aside, this is REAL world marketing instead of niche marketing. Getting free songs out to soda drinkers is PERFECT demographic targeting. I am psyched!

Mr. MacPhisto
Originally posted by adzoox
I would disagree. Pepsi doesn't have nearly the brand loyalty Coke does. Coke also has a 54% (as of last month) of the ENTIRE drink market. Pepsi, a 31% share.

Apple needs to try to be as universal as possible. Coke is a more universal brand.

You are right, I am pleased that Apple is promoting - but it's not whining to critisize that decision.

My gripe about the new iPod Ad is that it doesn't say the word Apple anywhere ... just Mac or PC. This has ALWAYS been a problem with Apple. Most people just look at that ad say, looks cool, wonder who makes it?

I think the promotion will be good overall, just noting it could have been better for probably the same price/cross promotion cost.

As for real stats ... it is quite true that Coke is preferred 7 out 10 in taste tests. (And Vanilla Coke tastes awesome, Vanilla Pepsi is a wannabe)

Apple's logo is one of the most recognized in the world, and it is featured prominently at the end of the ad. You'd have to live in a cave to not know that logo - or who makes the iPod. I think you don't give credit to enough people.

And for the record, I think Vanilla Coke and Vanilla Pepsi both are pretty horrible.

reedm007
Oct 16, 2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by backdraft
Let's see M$ copies Apple and Pepsi copies Coca Cola *vanilla Pepsi*

What about "Coke with Lemon", a copy of Pespi Twist. They both copy each other all the time. And remember, Coke and Pepsi own a huge line of other sodas that constantly copy each other too:

Pepsi had Mountain Dew, Coke came out with Mello Yello, and later Surge.

Coke had Sprite, Pepsi came out with lemon lime Slice, and later Sierra Mist.

Pepsi had Orange Slice (the orig.), and Coke came out with Minute Maid Orange (after they ruthlessly purchased Minute Maid), and recently introduced in the US, Fanta (which, mind you tastes NOTHING like European Fanta and, after expression my feelings about this to coke in a letter was told by Coke:

"After many taste studies, we have determined that the American tastes either cannot differentiate between products with fruit juice or without, or they prefer products without fruit juice. [...] You too will learn to like the taste better."

WTF? Sounds like: "You too will be assimilated". I wasn't impressed with Coke on that one. :)

But the point is: they both copy each other constantly, so stop arguing about 'The original' and focus on the good publicity for Apple this could bring in, regardless of who you think is the better soda company. :rolleyes: Sheesh.

johnnowak
Oct 16, 2003, 10:34 AM
Pepsi + Spears + iPod? Hot hot hot!

Pepsi + Bob Dole + iPod? Even hotter.

eric_n_dfw
Oct 16, 2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto
Apple's logo is one of the most recognized in the world, and it is featured prominently at the end of the ad. You'd have to live in a cave to not know that logo - or who makes the iPod. I think you don't give credit to enough people.

And for the record, I think Vanilla Coke and Vanilla Pepsi both are pretty horrible. Agreed (on both the logo and about Vanilla Pepsi/Coke!)

Nike often just puts the Swoosh (tm) logo at the end of their ads - people still know it's Nike.

Mr. MacPhisto
Oct 16, 2003, 10:40 AM
And speaking of good times to strike:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/10/16/microsoft.security.ap/index.html

Microsoft is announcing four more Windows flaws. Hmmm, you think seeing the Apple logo all over the place, even Pepsi ads, might be planting something in their heads?

iRiKliAN
Oct 16, 2003, 10:44 AM
Pepsi has been ramping up there Ad campaign down under of late, with home grown stars, including Holly Valance and Harry Kewell, who are both cool!!

Smurfman
Oct 16, 2003, 11:13 AM
No, as in stay real to the products they sell. WTF does Pepsi have to do with Apple? Pepsi Co. sucks dude. Maybe all you sugar mongers just can't see through it.

Companies team up with one another all the time for mutual benifit! Do you have any marketing bone in your body??

Example... Fast food restaurants (as well as cereal makers) team up with toy manufactures and movie studios to help sell more of each others product. They may be totally different companies, but they benefit each other greatly.

P.S. I just took a swig of Pepsi with my lunch... Yummy, Yummy!

TwitchOSX
Oct 16, 2003, 11:21 AM
Think about it for a minute. Apple has always skimped on advertising. Sure they have thier "campaigns" like Think Different and whatever, but they dont have enough money to really throw it out there like MS or other large companies. That is why Apple has such a low market share. If they do in fact team up with Pepsi, this will be huge. Have any of the other new internet music stores teamed up with anybody big? No. Nobody has. Napster has the best chance of going against apple, only because of thier name. However, Apple and Pepsi doing a multi million dollor campaign together is huge for Apple and thier marketing. I love pepsi.. stopped drinking coke a long time ago and I know this is going to be a very good campaign.