PDA

View Full Version : HDMI cables?

anamznazn
Jan 22, 2008, 11:46 AM
I noticed there are different HDMI cables to choose from and the cost can vary. It's pretty damn expensive at the stores so I'm going to shoot for eBay instead. I was just wondering if there are any speed differences and if there was a recommeneded one for the Apple TV? ...Or any I should stay away from? Thanks in advance.

bacaramac
Jan 22, 2008, 11:49 AM
I buy mine on eBay and go for the Acoustic Research Pro series. There is normally a company that sells them out of packaging and have the option to make an offer. Offer half and they normally accept.

Eidorian
Jan 22, 2008, 11:50 AM
It's all digital in the end. The quality of the cable isn't going to make a great difference like it did for analog transmission methods but don't go too cheap.

bacaramac
Jan 22, 2008, 11:52 AM
Here is what I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AR-Pro-II-Series-HDMI-Digital-Audio-Video-HDTV-Cable_W0QQitemZ230215254414QQihZ013QQcategoryZ149974QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jan 22, 2008, 11:58 AM
I noticed there are different HDMI cables to choose from and the cost can vary. It's pretty damn expensive at the stores so I'm going to shoot for eBay instead. I was just wondering if there are any speed differences and if there was a recommeneded one for the Apple TV? ...Or any I should stay away from? Thanks in advance.

Digital transmission is digital transmission. At the lengths of cable you'd be involving in a home system there is no concern of signal degradation regardless of how cheap or how expensive an HDMI cable you use. Just about any HDMI cable will do.

It's all digital in the end. The quality of the cable isn't going to make a great difference like it did for analog transmission methods but don't go too cheap.

Correct on the first part. Slightly incorrect on the second part. There's a lot of cable BS involved in the analog world. Basic interconnect and speaker cabling performs just fine under most conditions... nothing fancy required, despite what the idiots at Stereophile magazine have to say about it.

Eidorian
Jan 22, 2008, 12:00 PM
Correct on the first part. Slightly incorrect on the second part. There's a lot of cable BS involved in the analog world. Basic interconnect and speaker cabling performs just fine under most conditions... nothing fancy required, despite what the idiots at Stereophile magazine have to say about it.I wouldn't go as far as paying $80 for a 3-6' cable. It's going to be difficult for the average consumer to find a good budget cable when reading idiot Stereophile magazine's reviews for advice.

I like bacaramac's suggestion.

Note: I did buy some Monster Gold Series component and S-video cables when Radio Shack had them on sale. $13 for 6' cables. Why not?

MikieMikie
Jan 22, 2008, 12:03 PM
That's what I bought, and it wasn't expensive. It's working perfectly.

Jan 22, 2008, 12:08 PM
Note: I did buy some Monster Gold Series component and S-video cables when Radio Shack had them on sale. $13 for 6' cables. Why not?

Sure. The cable is at least functional, the wire is actually Belden and the interconnects are some or another vendor you'll run into anyway from any other manufacturer. If you get it cheap, no argument there.

I'm just doing my part to dispel the myths about speaker and interconnect cable.

:D

jhagler
Jan 22, 2008, 12:29 PM
Great cables at a great price:

monoprice.com

themanfromvlad
Jan 22, 2008, 12:29 PM
monoprice.com

End of story for cables.

ascham87
Jan 22, 2008, 01:24 PM
Sorry to be sound like a broken record, but I just bought from monoprice and I couldn't be more pleased...so www.monoprice.com!

Killyp
Jan 22, 2008, 01:33 PM
Go for a well insulated, rubbery-feeling cable which doesn't look like something from Toys 'R Us.

Digital signals are far less prone to degradation than analogue signals, and even the world's best musicians/producers or the world's 'best audiophiles' would NOT be able to tell the difference between a pair of 20 speaker cables, and a pair of 20,000 speaker cables (which do exist).

Also, don't fall for any 'gold cabling' hype. Just get something which isn't super cheap, but not 'expensive'.

notjustjay
Jan 22, 2008, 01:42 PM
I have always, also, told people to go to monoprice.com for cables. Very inexpensive, and they work great.

Even with the extra shipping and (a few years ago) conversion from US to Canadian dollar, I was still getting cables way cheaper than anything locally.

I bought a 25-foot HDMI cable from them, which cost something like $22. Future Shop and Best Buy only had a 25-foot Monster Cable version... for $200!

live4ever
Jan 22, 2008, 02:33 PM
I really like Blue Jeans Cable - there Belden HDMI cables are great quality.

DakotaGuy
Jan 22, 2008, 05:53 PM
The Philips or RCA brand cables at Walmart work just fine in my experience.

MikeL
Jan 22, 2008, 06:04 PM
I can't imagine paying what some people do for a cable. My father once paid $20 for a USB cable.

Steel Wheels
Jan 22, 2008, 06:07 PM
I can't imagine paying what some people do for a cable. My father once paid $20 for a USB cable.

No doubt. Twenty bucks for a cable that probably cost two bucks to make. Some stores make good money that way. *cough* Best Buy *cough*. Offer good prices on the electronics, but jab 'em on the interconnects.

I really like Blue Jeans Cable - there Belden HDMI cables are great quality.

Amen to that! I buy all my interconnects through them. Decent prices and great customer service, too.

Another vote for Blue Jeans Cable.

FreeState
Jan 22, 2008, 06:12 PM
Another recommendation for monoprice.com. They are great - and if you want to split your HDMI to two HD TV's they have the best and most reasonable splitters available (just did this to connect our satellite box in the bedroom to a new TV in the kitchen - works well and now the tv is synced no matter what room your in:)

KashmirGR
Jan 22, 2008, 06:26 PM
We use frequently for digital video demo systems and I've used with AppleTV / LCD at home.

www.pchcables.com

sandman42
Jan 22, 2008, 06:53 PM
I bought my HDMI cable for my :apple:TV at the Apple Store, and it wasn't outrageously expensive (naturally I had to have it right away), but in the past I've bought cables from cablesforless.com (http://www.cablesforless.com/) and I've always been happy with their products.

anamznazn
Jan 22, 2008, 06:55 PM
On monoprice.com, there's the regular HDMI cables and the HDMI ver. 1.3. Should I go for the 1.3 instead considering it's newer? Will it work with the Apple TV?

bacaramac
Jan 22, 2008, 09:58 PM
I would think a 1.3 cable would be backwards compatible, but it shouldn't matter as ATV does not use 1.3 technology, but if you want to future proof your cables then go for it.

Keebler
Jan 22, 2008, 10:37 PM
I would think a 1.3 cable would be backwards compatible, but it shouldn't matter as ATV does not use 1.3 technology, but if you want to future proof your cables then go for it.

the 1.3 is backwards compatible so you're good to go. (i just bought the same one for $7 at monoprice.com....great prices).

The big box stores have such a wicked markup on the cables b/c that is how they make their money. Margins are slimmer on computers and electronics so money is made on the cables and the extra warranties.

monoprice.com is the place to go :)

notjustjay
Jan 23, 2008, 12:20 PM
The big box stores have such a wicked markup on the cables b/c that is how they make their money. Margins are slimmer on computers and electronics so money is made on the cables and the extra warranties.

Sometimes I overhear people at work talking about the new HD or home theatre system they just installed, and that often includes the usual grumbling about how %$@# expensive the cables are. If they haven't yet bought the cable, I'll jump in and tell them about Monoprice, but if they've already bought the $200 cable (and often praising how spectacular a difference it makes), I'm keeping my mouth shut. I think it would be a definite CLM (Career Limiting Move) to make a manager look foolish and be upset at me.

maokh
Jan 23, 2008, 01:23 PM
Buy the cheapest HDMI cable you can find. They are all the same. Dirty secret is that they can't call themselves HDMI unless they follow the specification. $10 or $200 cable, they are electrically the same.

HDMI 1.3 is just a higher bandwidth version of the previous HDMI standards. It supports 340MHz / 10.2Gbps vs 165MHz / 4.95Gbps (1.0/1.1/1.2). I suspect that in reasonable distances (couple feet), nearly all past cables will probably work fine with HDMI 1.3 (although very, very feel devices actually use 1.3 right now).

165MHz or even 340MHz are not that difficult electrically over twisted pair. Cat 5e/Cat6 are designed to work at these frequencies without difficulty. Even plain old Cat 5 will have no problem with a 165MHz signal in reasonable distances. These cables are designed to carry digital signals at these frequencies up to 100 meters.

Here's some good amo if you run into a gold nut: Gold is a poor conductor. If it wasnt for the anticorrosion properties, it wouldnt even be used.

If this were a debate about component, i would probably say to be careful what $10-$20 cables you bought, but its not.

/dev/toaster
Jan 23, 2008, 01:52 PM
Monoprice.com ... I got a 25' DVI -> HDMI for like $15 and 6' HDMI cables for like $6.

Don't pay more then $10 for HDMI cables, anything else you are throwing money away. There is *NO* difference in those cables, its all digital.

Gelfin
Jan 23, 2008, 01:56 PM
Just as a tip, unless there's an HDCP requirement in play, don't automatically rule out component connections without trying them first. HDMI was not invented to provide better picture quality. It was invented to allow for copy-protected interlinks between devices. That expensive HDMI cable benefits the MPAA, not you, and believe it or not depending on the devices involved you can in some cases get a more satisfactory result using component cables.

That said, everybody who has told you that high-priced cables are BS is spot on. Audiophiles are notoriously superstitious, every bit as bad as crystal-wavers and homeopathic medicine believers. Overpriced cables are just the beginning of the hocus-pocus sold to the naive, the most seemingly plausible initial step into a world full of placebos and "emperor's new clothes" effects that cannot withstand even the most basic rigorous examination.

bilbo--baggins
Feb 14, 2008, 03:47 PM
Is there such a thing as a non-HDCP compliant HDMI cable? I've just tried watching an HD movie on the Apple TV and it says the connection doesn't support HDCP. My TV (Toshiba 32WLT68) apparently does support HDCP according to a google search, although I cannot find anything in the manual that mentions it. My HDMI cable was a really cheap one purchased from an ebay seller - I opted for cheap having previously read the comments such as those in this thread that suggested quality was irrelevant.

BoulderBum
Feb 14, 2008, 03:56 PM
I concur.

Monoprice.com

I have two 6-foot HDMI cables I got there for about $10 each and they work great. One is hooked up to my Apple TV, the other to my HD cable box.

Gerg
Feb 14, 2008, 08:28 PM
Looks like Amazon.com is getting on the act, a 6 foot HDMI cable for $2.14!!

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Resolution-Cable-DVI-Gear/dp/B0002L5R78/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1203042476&sr=8-1

Otherwise, monoprice.com is the way to go!

srexy
Feb 14, 2008, 08:33 PM
Another vote for monoprice.com - their prices SLAY the competition.

Just bought a pci raid card from them and it was a very good deal too.

cohibadad
Feb 14, 2008, 08:55 PM
HDMI prices in stores are crazy high. Can't remember where I bought mine but they were like $10-20 for varying lengths from like 1m to 3m. Very nice quality. Even have the little magnets. Google HDMI cables and you can find them easy enough.

Diode
Feb 14, 2008, 09:07 PM
I vote for bluejean cables

A little more then monoprice but its a mom-and-pop operation (and is still dirt cheap).

I get all my audio/video cables from them.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Diode
Feb 14, 2008, 09:15 PM
Digital signals are far less prone to degradation than analogue signals, and even the world's best musicians/producers or the world's 'best audiophiles' would NOT be able to tell the difference between a pair of 20 speaker cables, and a pair of 20,000 speaker cables (which do exist).

While I agree to some extent ... a cheap digital cable will do far more damage then a cheap analog cable.

Why? Simple really ... any distortion in a digital cable will result in a loss of information. Ever see your digital cable/satellite hiccup? That is digital distortion.

Cheap digital cables will do this over the short distance although it can be avoided with decent cables (monoprice/bluejean are some of whom who offer decent cables for cheap).

Toslink is usually more prone to distortion then HDMI (Usually because manufactures skip out and use very cheap opaque plastics) but long run HDMI will degrade if you use very bad cables.

saltyzoo
Mar 1, 2008, 06:39 AM
While I agree to some extent ... a cheap digital cable will do far more damage then a cheap analog cable.

Why? Simple really ... any distortion in a digital cable will result in a loss of information. Ever see your digital cable/satellite hiccup? That is digital distortion.

Cheap digital cables will do this over the short distance although it can be avoided with decent cables (monoprice/bluejean are some of whom who offer decent cables for cheap).

Toslink is usually more prone to distortion then HDMI (Usually because manufactures skip out and use very cheap opaque plastics) but long run HDMI will degrade if you use very bad cables.

I always thought one's were one's and zero's were zero's. Not sure how a "cheap opaque plastic" is going to make a one a zero.

jshdarkblue
Aug 21, 2008, 01:37 PM
Digital transmission is digital transmission. At the lengths of cable you'd be involving in a home system there is no concern of signal degradation regardless of how cheap or how expensive an HDMI cable you use. Just about any HDMI cable will do.

Correct on the first part. Slightly incorrect on the second part. There's a lot of cable BS involved in the analog world. Basic interconnect and speaker cabling performs just fine under most conditions... nothing fancy required, despite what the idiots at Stereophile magazine have to say about it.

When you are connecting a true high end/high resolution audio system, I know you can easily hear the the difference between cheap and at least some "expensive" cables(obviously I have not heard them all nor can I afford to purchase most) . I realize that cables are just resistance, capacitance and inductance, but I do know that Kimber 4TC and Home Depot type 14g speaker cable sound different on my system, and the Kimber sounds better. Same thing for MIT interconnects versus the standard cheap interconncects. I can assure you that in this regard, the people at Stereophile are not idiots. On the other hand, I cannot see or hear any difference betweem Monoprice HDMI cables and Monster HDMI cables.

CultHero
Aug 21, 2008, 02:57 PM
I vote for bluejean cables

A little more then monoprice but its a mom-and-pop operation (and is still dirt cheap).

I get all my audio/video cables from them.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

second this. Cool company that took on Monster so they are okay in my book.