PDA

View Full Version : when will the macbook air rev b come out?

ricowatatsu
Jan 24, 2008, 02:03 PM
hello all. yes i understand this is a new product that has yet to ship. i also understand there is no way for anyone to have a real idea about this. still i insist on speculating. I like to wait for rev b products to work out the launch issues that some products face, and since i dont really need a new laptop right now i would like to discuss when the next product update will come and what features it will have. Im thinking 4gb ram option, 160gb hd option, penryn chips at speeds up to 2.2, and screen resolution increase to 1400 by 900. what do you people think?

GimmeSlack12
Jan 24, 2008, 02:12 PM
When do you think it will come out?

sk8ordie
Jan 24, 2008, 02:13 PM
Holy frijoles! The MBA isn't even out yet and you're asking when a revision comes out :confused:

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 24, 2008, 02:37 PM
hello all. yes i understand this is a new product that has yet to ship. i also understand there is no way for anyone to have a real idea about this. still i insist on speculating. I like to wait for rev b products to work out the launch issues that some products face, and since i dont really need a new laptop right now i would like to discuss when the next product update will come and what features it will have. Im thinking 4gb ram option, 160gb hd option, penryn chips at speeds up to 2.2, and screen resolution increase to 1400 by 900. what do you people think?

I'm guessing 6 months from now, give or take a month or 2.

ricowatatsu
Jan 24, 2008, 02:40 PM
im thinking the rev b will drop in september.

ucfgrad93
Jan 24, 2008, 02:43 PM
I'm guessing 6 months from now, give or take a month or 2.

My guess is between 6 months and a year.

Jeremy1026
Jan 24, 2008, 02:47 PM
In the future. :confused:

TanToday
Jan 24, 2008, 03:14 PM
Revision B is already released.

{ when they announce that because of reduced prices on NAND MEMORY the SSD and higher processor are now STANDARD, and discontinue the lower end model that I ordered, and they LOWER the starting price with the faster processor and flash drive too boot too.}

Watch.

r6girl
Jan 24, 2008, 03:22 PM
Revision B is already released.

{ when they announce that because of reduced prices on NAND MEMORY the SSD and higher processor are now STANDARD, and discontinue the lower end model that I ordered, and they LOWER the starting price with the faster processor and flash drive too boot too.}

Watch.

sounds like you and i have the same kind of luck when it comes to buying electronics! :p

i expect it will rev in about 6 months. i was one of the ones hoping for the re-birth of a 12" pro portable at macworld expo, but i may be satisfied with the mba. i'm trying to wait until rev. b with a larger hard drive crammed in there, but i'm not sure i can hold out. the little voice in my head reminds me that my rev. a 12" powerbook only had a 40gb hard drive and that worked out for me back then, despite the fact that the 100gb hard drive on my current blackbook is almost full.

akadmon
Jan 24, 2008, 03:47 PM
Never. Rev A is the EOL for the MBA. Get it while you can!

juanster
Jan 24, 2008, 03:50 PM
yeh, considering the MBA is hardly out yet, hmmm i m going to take a wild guess and say not in the next 4 months for rev b

heatmiser
Jan 24, 2008, 03:53 PM
Probably some time in the future.

vanmacguy
Jan 24, 2008, 03:57 PM
Can we get the Rev 'A' first!

Jeez. Calm down man!

squeeks
Jan 24, 2008, 03:57 PM
macworld 2009

but i guess that depends on what you mean by revision b

case changes?

simple speed upgrades?

be more specific

djinn
Jan 24, 2008, 04:15 PM
Thats funny, already looking for a second revision. You don't know of any problems with the first one yet.

ricowatatsu
Jan 24, 2008, 04:34 PM
this is the place where speculation is ok right? as for what do i mean by rev b, this means the next time any updates are made to the compy at all: speed bump, bto options, pretty pink bow, whatever. As for there never being a rev b, i highly doubt steve would let a product be stillborn. the cube saw improvements in its spec and a price drop before they put it on ice. I too was hoping for a rebirth of the small pro model, but who knows, they could stick a dedicated gpu in there at any time. if they can fit 7400 in apple tv, surely that part doesnt take up much more room than the x3100.

ps: who here regularly buys a product as soon as it is available?

djinn
Jan 24, 2008, 04:39 PM
I did! I bought the Powerbook G4 12" Rev A. And that was a huge mistake. It burned my wife so Apple has been really nice to me. :)

pkr
Jan 24, 2008, 04:43 PM
It the classic Early Adopter question. I'm undecided on the MBA myself and issues I wonder about are: given the somewhat unique processor, what update options might come along; and since SSD prices are sure to decline with wider use, will we see a lower price SSD option from Apple.
Any thoughts ?

iW00t
Jan 24, 2008, 05:02 PM
I think the Macbook Air will be EOL shortly. To prevent the stench still lingering from the name they will rename it Macbook Lite!

jackc
Jan 24, 2008, 05:11 PM

With the options you're talking about, I'd say around rev G

djinn
Jan 24, 2008, 05:13 PM
As I stated before, the macbook air is targeting a very very small audience.

GoCubsGo
Jan 24, 2008, 06:40 PM
As I stated before, the macbook air is targeting a very very small audience.

What the audience who believes they need to plan for rev b before rev a hits?
I think the MBA targets a larger audience than you think!

djinn
Jan 24, 2008, 06:41 PM
I hope so. I want to see Apple products succeed.

applesith
Jan 24, 2008, 06:58 PM

speculate all you want. technology for this stuff changes all the time. you dont know what will be available when the update is. let alone when the update it self arrives. i dont get why as soon as something new is out, people start asking for the next update.

heatmiser
Jan 24, 2008, 07:11 PM
i dont get why as soon as something new is out, people start asking for the next update.

Is there any other reason? Greed!

sal
Jan 24, 2008, 07:21 PM
this fall? maybe around the same time the MB gets an update?

It'll probably just be a speed increase.

ricowatatsu
Jan 24, 2008, 10:03 PM
speculate all you want. technology for this stuff changes all the time. you dont know what will be available when the update is. let alone when the update it self arrives. i dont get why as soon as something new is out, people start asking for the next update.

its fun to imagine what is coming around the bend. the macbook air would be a fine computer if i needed one today, and i am sure it will stay current with the competition and be upgraded as new components become available. i can see why apple doesnt discuss its upcoming products.

Anderson3133
Jan 24, 2008, 10:06 PM
im thinking the rev b will drop in september.

This is my guess as well. Mainly because it's the start of the school year and this is where computer companies make large amounts of money. Especially laptop companies.

SteveSparks
Jan 24, 2008, 10:07 PM
This is rev b, rev a was the prototype :)

aosman
Jan 24, 2008, 10:08 PM
Thinking about rev b when rev a is not in people hands. lol.

sparkie1984
Oct 5, 2010, 07:04 PM
Sorry to bump this, but I had to laugh at the revision b prediction, here we are 2 and a half years later and nowhere close to the predicted ram and resolution!

:)

paeza
Oct 6, 2010, 07:58 AM
Sorry to bump this, but I had to laugh at the revision b prediction, here we are 2 and a half years later and nowhere close to the predicted ram and resolution!

:)

That will happen in rev D :D