Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zachary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
US
Anyone know who's developing a Bluetooth mouse?

I know Apple has one... one button that is! Lame.
I know Microsoft came out with a keyboard/mouse combo for Bluetooth, but it's bulky, expensive, and Microsoft. Lame.
I know Logitech isn't quite done with theirs but it already sucks because their projected price is $99 (which probably means it will come with a USB/Bluetooth adaptor, which I neither need nor want).

Seriously, where's the rumors about somebody like Belkin or Targus getting me a tiny little optical 2 button scrollwheel for $40?! Somebody's gotta do it. Hell I even just read a piece about a Bluetooth Palm keyboard that's in the works (sweet idea).

Whaddya got peoples?

birdMan

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2003
I've been wondering the same thing. I got the wireless keyboard, but I really want the mouse too, but screw having one button.

Zachary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
US
I did all the googling, mamma-ing, and dogpiling I cared to do, no developers are even talking about getting a nice mac-friendly one going. Belkin made noise, but again they wanna throw an adapter in there.

I really like the mice from Contour Design so I emailed them and told them they should make a really tiny little 2 button scrollwheel optical that takes the same rechargable AAA batteries many of us have around for palm pilots and digital cameras anyway. That way it's an all in one and might be cheap enough to capture all the built-in BT users before anyone else gets to it.

People say they've had good luck with the MS BT, but I can't tell you how much I'd rather have a little retractable cord than one of the gigantic, two part, not in any way convenient for accompanying laptop transport monsters.

Zachary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
US
Yeah, I saw that one. Thing looks big though, and again I'd be paying for a USB adapter that I wouldn't use. I just emailed Targus and told them to make one. Their laptop mice are really good.

Freakk123

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Bronx, NY
I have the microsoft combo for my PC (yes, I have a PC for gaming) and its one of the two microsoft products I like (along with office X). I'd recommend it! While it is somewhat bulky, it works like a charm. Then again, I haven't tried it with my mac yet, so wait... I'll try it out tonight.

EDIT: Spelling

Freakk123

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Bronx, NY
Works like a charm with my Mac. Just download the drivers and you're set. Very good precision and ergonomics. I'd highly recommend it.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Re: Bluetooth Mouse

Originally posted by Zachary
Seriously, where's the rumors about somebody like Belkin or Targus getting me a tiny little optical 2 button scrollwheel for $40?! Somebody's gotta do it. Hell I even just read a piece about a Bluetooth Palm keyboard that's in the works (sweet idea).

Please understand that I'd love to be wrong on this, but ...

I'm not sure that "somebody's gotta do it" - at least not in the short term. It's relatively new technology. You're basically asking for someone to make a mouse that has more stuff in it (Bluetooth antenna and circuitry), yet is still small and costs no more than a good quality regular mouse!

If we're wishing, why not wish really big? Personally I'd love to see a 15" G5 Powerbook with 2GB RAM for about $1000. :D

You know the old saying, "if wishes were horses..."? :p

Zachary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
US
Naw dude, the 3 button, wheeled laser mouse I have now is about an inch by 2 and 1/2 and it cost $18. The Logitech mouse isn't that huge, and it's less than $90. So I figure with the extra space I see when I open mine, and the fact that a bluetooth-usb adapter is $50, they make one not too much bigger than mine and not horribly expensive. You gotta have some faith man.

Zachary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
US
That's a nice one, but my point was to not have the bluetooth adapter. What's the use of having built in bluetooth technology in my laptop if everyone wants me to pay the extra $50 for an adapter?

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Don't worry..adapter-less mice will probably become available "soon". Bluetooth is still a new technology which exists on few customers' systems. BT is still an extra-cost option from most manufacturers, so the first batch of BT mice assume that the users don't have the adapter. Just as it's better to say "batteries included" on the packaging, it's better to have all necessary parts conveniently packaged together even if it means throwing in the adapter and jacking up the price. Soon that will change.

Zachary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
US
I've heard people say both the Logitech and the Microsoft are golden, but I've also heard major stability issues and loss of communication. The standard response for new products of those companies.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
There are several threads already on this board discussing experiences with the Microsoft and Logitech bluetooth mice.

A search should reveal them.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Re: Re: Bluetooth Mouse

Originally posted by Westside guy
Please understand that I'd love to be wrong on this, but ...

I'm not sure that "somebody's gotta do it" - at least not in the short term. It's relatively new technology.

In terms of technology BT is old. First products appeared in 2000, which is nearly four years ago. Compared to some technology, it has been a slow adoption. With more chipsets integrating BT, it will help though.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by Freakk123
I have the microsoft combo for my PC (yes, I have a PC for gaming) and its one of the two microsoft products I like (along with office X). I'd reccomend it! While it is somewhat bulky, it works like a charm. Then again, I haven't tried it with my mac yet, so wait... I'll try it out tonight.

Huh, I kind of though the Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard was rather compact. Well I have the ergonomic cordless version with the sloping split keyboard so it's rather gigantic in comparison. At one time I was thinking on buying it and did like the blue translucent shell.

Felix_the_Mac

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2003
UK
Works like a charm with my Mac. Just download the drivers and you're set. Very good precision and ergonomics. I'd highly recommend it.

Drivers? Where did you find those.

I have been running my MS Wireless Desktop for Bluetooth Mouse without installing any drivers.

However I have problems with precision which you say is very good. Maybe drivers would help me?

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Originally posted by hobbes3113
Does anyone use the Logitech MX 900? I have been looking for a quality BT mouse and came across this one...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?c...1&page=products/details&CRID=3&CONTENTID=7110

I'm using MX900 right now (also have the keyboard under the sofa). Once I figured out that you have to press the connect button and pair it and all the normal bluetooth stuff that was new to me, it works fine.

Exposé can be assigned to any of it's 8 buttons, requiring no additional drivers. The OS in general seems unable to access the extra buttons (for things like zooming, which I'd like), but 1st and 2nd mouse button works, as does the scrollwheel right out of the box.

It isn't very good at turning itself off. When in my bag, it's constantly looking around trying to figure out how much it's moved. Was considering electrical-taping up the Eye whenever I was travelling.

The keyboard also works right out of the box, with the following features:
- The volume wheel does control the volume.
- the Mute button mutes.
- the Power button powers.
- The left-thumb wheel does scroll, but it's button does not do anything
- the CMD/Apple button is mapped to the windows key, with the Option key mapped to ALT. The key arrangement is reverse of expected.

Freakk123

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Bronx, NY
Originally posted by Felix_the_Mac
Drivers? Where did you find those.

I have been running my MS Wireless Desktop for Bluetooth Mouse without installing any drivers.

However I have problems with precision which you say is very good. Maybe drivers would help me?

Ahh, sorry, my mistake, I meant the software, not the drivers. You've been having trouble w/ precision? Thats odd... Its been, as you've said, very good for me... Sorry I couldn't help solve your problem. Oh well.

Felix_the_Mac

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2003
UK
... I meant the software, not the drivers

Sorry to labour the point but which software do you mean? Is it the Apple Bluetooth drivers?

Does anyone think that there is any way I can improve the accuracy on my bluetooth mouse?
For example installing it on a PC with all the MS drivers etc and configuring it?

The problem is basically that it sticks a bit as you move it across the desktop which makes the movement jerky.
Optical mice are supposed to work on any surface aren't they? I use mine on various desks with smooth wood or plastic finishes.

I would appreciate any advice.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I received my Belkin Bluetooth Mouse today (from Mac Connection) and thought I'd share my opinions. I'm using it with my 15-in Al PB with built-in BT.

1. It's about the same size as the Microsoft Explorer optical series (desktop versions). I had hoped for a smaller form factor.

2. There are 4 buttons; left, right, scroll-wheel button, and a fourth on the left side. The feel of the buttons and wheel is very good, all of which are tighter than the Logitech MX and Microsoft Explorer series.

3. It uses 800 dpi technology.

4. There is no power on/off button. Battery lasts 25 days with normal use according to the manual. (2 AA batteries are included.)

5. The instruction manual and quick installation guide included in the box are for Windows users. Mac users can download the guide from here:

http://web.belkin.com/support/download/download.asp?download=F8T041-B&lang=1&mode=m

6. The mouse cannot be "paired". To install, you have to "Browse" for the device and double-click the name when it appears in the discovered list. However, before doing so, you must press and hold a "connect" button located on the backside for 2 seconds. Once this is done, it's not necessary to use the connect button again. From a cold power-up, once the login screen comes up, your Mac will automatically connect to the mouse in about 7 seconds.

7. Belkin does not supply any drivers for the Mac. Apple's standard bluetooth mouse driver is used. The left and right buttons are supported, as is the scroll wheel. I'd like to map the middle and 4th buttons to certain functions (e.g. Command-Tab and Move Back) but I don't think that's possible today.

8. Tracking accuracy and response are excellent.

9. Ergonomics are excellent, particularly the beveled or slanted left side that braces the thumb and allows it to rest more comfortably.

10. The mouse body rocks slightly along the left-right direction on a hard surface, but on a stack of papers or a padded surface, it's perfectly smooth.

11. The body has a firm, substantial feel to it. It's not made of cheap lightweight materials.

Overall I'm satisfied, but I look forward to being able to map the middle and 4th buttons. I'd also like to see a smaller form factor.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
So, then, here's my point-to-point comparison with Logitech MX900 bluetooth:

1. This is what I estimate to be "normal chorded mouse size", maybe with an additional spot to rest your thumb

2. 2 buttons + scroll wheel w/button, back and forth buttons on thumb-side. up and down buttons at either end of the scroll wheel, and an 8th button below (towards the rear), intended to cycle windows. All buttons are exposé-ale. The two main buttons are really just allowed flexings on the main mouse casing - the button face is not a different piece of plastic. It's nice.

3. I have no idea on DPI, but i'm sure it's google-able, and odds are, the same.

4. No on/off either. Batts by default are rechargeable with about 2 days of charge, with the awkwardly-shaped bluetooth transmitter acting as the cradle. Batteries can be replaced with AA's. The transmitter/charger needs not be plugged into the computer if you already have bluetooth, and doesn't even need to be used if you have AA's in the mouse.

5. There is no official support at all for this mouse in OSX, but, never the less, it works without additional configuration or drivers.

6. Normal bluetooth pairing is required, and appears persistent, even after powering off bluetooth and allowing the mouse to run out of bat. Even then, it isn't listed in the BT pane of the KB&M control panel)

7. Only Exposé recognizes the 3rd through 8th buttons. The scrollwheel, and 2nd mouse button (as ctrl-click) work without configuration.

8. MX900 works just as a mouse should.

9. MX900 feels just as a mouse should. No jagged metal spikes.

10. No rocking. Slides smooth on my new wooden cutting board, my jeans, my desk and my chest. I haven't tried a mousepad yet.

11. No cheapiness here, either

Overall I'm satisfied, but I look forward to being able to map the middle and 4th buttons. I'd also like to see a smaller form factor.
Word!

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
<cut>
3. I have no idea on DPI, but i'm sure it's google-able, and odds are, the same.
<cut>
The MX series is 800 dpi.

I tinkered with the Logitech before deciding to go with Belkin. My reasons and preferences are different from yours.

I wanted only the minimum set of buttons. 3 would have been fine. I don't use the extra buttons. Apple's one-button mouse is simple and elegant, but a little too simple for me.

I found the Logitech's buttons to be too soft; the resting weight of my fingers were enough to press the buttons.

Glad you like your MX900. Party on dude.

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
I've got the MX900 as well, I wish the thing had a damn on/off switch though, that's the 1 thing I'd change about it. I cut a little circular disc about the size of a AA battery out of some stiff medical type plastic stuff I found digging around at my clinic that I just put in between the battery and the contacts when I'm travelling, just to shut it off... As the thing never goes to sleep rumbling around in my bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.