PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs using a Dell...

obeygiant
Oct 17, 2003, 09:47 PM
Has anyone seen this yet?

G5orbust
Oct 17, 2003, 09:55 PM
Yep, thats Steve. Id like to say the pic looks authentic, but it just smells of photoshop from the quality and the angle discrepansies between his face and the screen .

Here is a picture of Steve Jobs:

http://ca.yimg.com/i/ca/reuters/20020910/i/3155017785.jpg

coolbreeze
Oct 17, 2003, 10:05 PM
It's real. It's from the iTMS for Windows presentation on Thursday. He demoed iTunes for Windows...well, using a Windows machine.

What's the big deal?

realityisterror
Oct 17, 2003, 10:11 PM
Steve looks weird unshaven.
just thought i'd point that out...
nevermind

reality

Powerbook G5
Oct 17, 2003, 11:00 PM
He's been unshaved for a while, though. It's almost like a trademark "Steve thing"...that, and the turtlenecks...

applemacdude
Oct 17, 2003, 11:28 PM
Yeah, thats when "Hell Froozr Over".......

macphoria
Oct 17, 2003, 11:37 PM
Well it only makes sense that Jobs would use a PC to demo iTunes for Windows.

G5orbust
Oct 17, 2003, 11:41 PM
Man, I guess I was wrong. I was kind of hinting to its fakeness by the fact that he is using a Dell monitor instead of...well...any other monitor he could have possibly chosen.

But, I guess whats done is done.

(by the way, I never saw the iTMS for windows presentation)

dho
Oct 17, 2003, 11:45 PM
That is going to give me nightmares:(

The question is what do they do with the dell after the keynote.
seeing it in a trash compactor would be cool.:D

edit: I dont dislike pc's THAT much just to clarify:)

dho
Oct 17, 2003, 11:47 PM
One would think that he would use an IBM

rainman::|:|
Oct 17, 2003, 11:56 PM
okay, the shot was not an accident, so little is with steve-- i'll bet he did it as an ironic joke. dell and jobs have had a little rivalry going for a while, and i think Jobs regards this as a huge opportunity to gain switchers. So it's poetic justice that it should be shown to the world on a dell, the PC maker he hates most...

pnw

etoiles
Oct 18, 2003, 12:13 AM
the image is featured in the SF Chronicle (at least online), but I am pretty sure the DELL logo has been doctored in...

G5orbust
Oct 18, 2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by dho
That is going to give me nightmares:(

The question is what do they do with the dell after the keynote.
seeing it in a trash compactor would be cool.:D

edit: I dont dislike pc's THAT much just to clarify:)

dropping it off of a roof or abusing it beyond all recognition with baseball bats is always awesome.

I bet Jobs either kept it or donated it to somewhere.

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 18, 2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by etoiles
the image is featured in the SF Chronicle (at least online), but I am pretty sure the DELL logo has been doctored in...

Look at the presentation stream one more time. It's a Dell, folks. There's no problem with that. They used a Dell with Xeon processors to demo the performance of the G5 against PCs. And I agree with Paul. Also, it's an indelible image, the sort of thing Steve would find funny.

Powerbook G5
Oct 18, 2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
Look at the presentation stream one more time. It's a Dell, folks. There's no problem with that. They used a Dell with Xeon processors to demo the performance of the G5 against PCs. And I agree with Paul. Also, it's an indelible image, the sort of thing Steve would find funny.

If I were Steve, I'd have slapped a nice big Apple sticker onto the back of the Dell.

etoiles
Oct 18, 2003, 12:47 AM
I just didn't see the logo on the screen in the presentation...but then I didn't watch the whole thing either...

The image is pretty cool, actually. I can almost hear Steve say: "Here I come, Dell. Resistance is futile"
:p

Sol
Oct 18, 2003, 01:24 AM
;)

LethalWolfe
Oct 18, 2003, 02:49 AM
I wonder if this conversation ever took place...

*phone rings*
Michael Dell: Hello, thank you for calling Dell how can I help you today?
Steve Jobs: Hey Mike it's Steve-o, I need to place an order.
MD: I'm sorry, who?
SJ: Steve Jobs... from Apple. I need to place an order.
MD: No, seriously, who is this.
SJ: I'm Steve Jobs.
MD: C'mon. Yer pullin' my leg.
SJ: No, I'm not. I need to buy a PC.
MD: Is this you Bill?
SJ: No, this really is Steve Jobs from Apple. Why don't you believe me?
MD: Okay, haha funny guy. You almost had me going there. As much as I'd like to keep playing this game I've got a business to run and competitors to undercut. *click*
SJ: Hello? Micheal? Heeelllllllooooo?

Lethal

porovaara
Oct 18, 2003, 03:10 AM
Using a DELL was probably a deliberate move... simply because DELL hasn't even shown off their musicmatch branded store yet (live) that they have announced. Instead, Steve using their own hardware showed another music store running. Nice jab.

panphage
Oct 18, 2003, 03:51 AM
Someone in another thread pointed out a good reasoning behind the Dell: Steve gave great publicity to the competitor that would benefit from it the least. Dell already has a stranglehold on their market, the free publicity isn't going to help them much.

PS: Steve used a PC notebook for freaking ever, up until (I THINK) the G4 Powerbooks came out. I mean think about it, he founded and ran NeXT and even they dropped PPC for Intel (and then died, EXACTLY like Be, Inc, did.)

And I'm pretty sure Steve's PC notebook was a Thinkpad.

wrc fan
Oct 18, 2003, 05:53 AM
NeXT never actually ran on PPC, it only ran on the Motorola 68040 chips, before switching to x86

Likvid
Oct 18, 2003, 07:11 AM
Of course Steve uses a Dell, his own hardware is way too slow to be productive.

Apple users only think about their design, they always forgot you also need to be productive.

If Steve was smart he would release OSX for x86-platform, then we wouldn't need the extremely slow Apple hardware and we would get the best of both worlds.

Why buy an Apple when you can have Dell which is 5 times faster?

kettle
Oct 18, 2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Likvid

Apple users only think about their design, they always forgot you also need to be productive.

If Steve was smart he would release OSX for x86-platform, then we wouldn't need the extremely slow Apple hardware and we would get the best of both worlds.

Ha Ha you! nice try feeble weeble:p

CrackedButter
Oct 18, 2003, 08:05 AM

You are new here arn't you?

jer2665
Oct 18, 2003, 08:38 AM
i feel it was definately a deliberate move on jobs' part. I think it was pretty damn smart. With dell coming out with their own copies of itunes and the ipod, i think this is kind of a tuant. Also Dell's obviously the biggest name in pc's, and if it runs on a dell people will realize it will run on their pc. I dont think ANYONE will see this and think "oh boy, he's got a dell, if it's good enough for steve, it's good enough for me." Also, obviously he could have gotten some no name box, and a no name monitor that would have done the job just as well, this was a nice stab at Dell. I normally hate Jobs' but this i give him credit for, i think it's pretty funny to show up with their competitors computer.

Powerbook G5
Oct 18, 2003, 08:44 AM

My Macs have never been slow to me, perhaps you are confusing your graphing calculator with an iBook?

billyboy
Oct 18, 2003, 09:25 AM
The trouble is now, whenever Windows crashes they´ll say the totally unprovable line, Damned iTunes for Windows, this is the first time in 26 months of non-stop use my Dell has let me down.

johnnowak
Oct 18, 2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by G5orbust
Yep, thats Steve. Id like to say the pic looks authentic, but it just smells of photoshop from the quality and the angle discrepansies between his face and the screen .

Here is a picture of Steve Jobs:

http://ca.yimg.com/i/ca/reuters/20020910/i/3155017785.jpg

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Likvid
Oct 18, 2003, 09:46 AM
iTunes sucks really bad on Windows taking up 90% CPU resources.

Powerbook G5
Oct 18, 2003, 10:03 AM
My sister downloaded it onto her Compaq (1.6 GHz P4 and 256 megs RAM) she has no problems with it hogging resources anymore than any other program she runs.

Les Kern
Oct 18, 2003, 10:46 AM
I use PC's for lot's of things, and they do indeed come in handy.
Take for instance my new HP Tablet seen here.
Even crap has it's uses. My puppy can surf the net FIVE TIMES FASTER!

rt_brained
Oct 18, 2003, 11:03 AM

TRANSLATED:
Blah, blah, Steve blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, productive.

Apple blah, blah, blah, blah, blah design blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, productive.

Blah, blah, Steve blah smart blah, blah, blah OSX blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah Apple hardware blah, blah, blah, blah the best blah, blah, blah.

Blah, blah, blah Apple blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, 5 times faster?.

Interesting question. To be fair, you have to look at the bigger picture. Compared to the alternative, Apple's easier-to-use software interface, superior chip technology and hardware design are all no-brainers. Factor in not having to check for security and system software patch downloads every 10 minutes, and hours of recovering damaged or lost data, I'd say that Apple's number is more like 100 times faster.

rt_brained
Oct 18, 2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Les Kern
I use PC's for lot's of things, and they do indeed come in handy.
Take for instance my new HP Tablet seen here.
Even crap has it's uses. My puppy can surf the net FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Hmm, I already knew that they made Windows hard to open, but wow, doors too?

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 18, 2003, 11:16 AM

Please tell me that was sarcasm. If that's the case, bravo. If not......

Hmmmm.... Let me know when your funeral is. That way I can come and laugh, saying "I told you so!"

There are certain things that just aren't said in these forums. ;)

LethalWolfe
Oct 18, 2003, 12:01 PM

Worst. Flamebait. Ever.

Lethal

Jagga
Oct 18, 2003, 12:13 PM
This is what I find amusing. Here in Canada, one of the most respected newspapers, The National Post, posted articles of Apple's iTunes for Windows announcement expectation along with Apple's financial results - albeit chopped (not the full results).

Meanwhile on the opposite page they posted an article of M$ and Bill Gates spending $1.4Billion (i think) on a deal with Europes largest cellphone service provider to provide M$ based smartphones & services for them. Of course the usual M$ hooplaw was added, but just a little disdainful remarks of this could lead to standards not being followed. M$ tried to close a research to market smartphones deal here in Canada 1yr ago with Canada's largest cellphone service provider Rogers AT&T Wireless which Rogers' abandoned the deal - not without collecting the duckets first.

This was great to see, since iTunes worked flawlessly, and he highlighted not only iTunes and the iTunes Music Store, but also QuickTime and the video on demand Movie trailers - indeed its been done for years. That's success, that even M$ hasn't enjoyed lately, as well as Dell. COnsidering Video-On-Demand will be huge soon.

Apple just keeps on pushing, woohooo.:cool:

Likvid
Oct 18, 2003, 12:47 PM
I don't use Windows, that's the difference because i am smart and uses the best of all worlds, FreeBSD as OS and PC hardware.

This combination gives you the best system money can buy for private use.

Actually we had video-on-demand for years for Windows if you like that OS.

Problem is with MacOSX is that it isn't even compatible with open-source software so it's pretty useless for Unix geeks switching to Mac also.

Just go to www.sourceforge.net and discover how much software we Linux and BSD users got.

I don't beleive Mac will ever come up to that......

Tell me one thing, why use MacOSX when you can run FreeBSD?

You can make FreeBSD more prodcutive than OSX if you have the time and skills....

Sol
Oct 18, 2003, 12:55 PM

You can make FreeBSD more prodcutive than OSX if you have the time and skills....

All hail Likvid, who has time and skills.

Likvid
Oct 18, 2003, 01:11 PM
Everyone got time over everyday.

Why should that be a problem, i get home from work, first thing i do is to discover and try new things on my computers.

It's all about set your priorities right every day and of course your interest for digging in to the system.

Thom_Edwards
Oct 18, 2003, 01:22 PM
I don't use Windows, that's the difference because i am smart and uses the best of all worlds, FreeBSD as OS and PC hardware.

Problem is with MacOSX is that it isn't even compatible with open-source software so it's pretty useless for Unix geeks switching to Mac also.

Just go to www.sourceforge.net and discover how much software we Linux and BSD users got.

I don't beleive Mac will ever come up to that......

please explain just how you can be more productive. that is the kind of blanket statement that really makes you look, well, silly. more productive doing what? and why do you have to hav time and skills (that all of us only *hope* to have one day) to make it more productive? that seems to a bit of a paradox. why isn't productive out of the box?

also, i love your self-proclaimed smartness, especially with a sentence like "i am smart and uses the best of all worlds".

btw, we got this nifty little thing called x11 (and fink), so don't go throwing around sourceforge urls like you've got something exclusive to bsd. and correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't os x based on bsd?

you are not quite as smart as you think you are, i'm afraid. you may know a lot about a particular OS, but that only makes you skilled in one area and not smart. smart people would fully investigate that which they are arguing against so they had all of the facts. (smart people would also not start off with such a grammatically poor paragraph, but that's another argument.)

or maybe you just wanted to get a rise our of people. well, you win, smart man.

herr_neumann
Oct 18, 2003, 02:18 PM

Why should that be a problem, i get home from work, first thing i do is to discover and try new things on my computers.

It's all about set your priorities right every day and of course your interest for digging in to the system.

Ah I see now, he has only his computer in his life. I know I like to spend my free time with my girlfriend, not try to make my computer cool.

rainman::|:|
Oct 18, 2003, 02:39 PM
1) what exactly is productive about wasting time digging in your system about what's new? i thought computers were tools, which would lead to the productivity issue. i don't know about any of you, but i've never claimed to be building a garage, and then spending 2 hours studying the hammer, or the powersaw...

2) the reason steve used a dell onstage is that a Mac would not run Windows versions of iTunes very well, would it? I'm not sure what you want him to do, aside from not releasing iTMS for windows...

3) you're a troll that's not going to get very far here...

4) you have no concept of what normal users need from an OS, nor what normal users do with their computers, or demand from their computers...

5) people prefer other OS's and, like partisan politics, a certain definable percentage of these respective groups will not change, no matter what...

why do people like this waste their time? i don't go to *nix and windows boards to troll them, and i don't know anyone that does... because i think we have more than enough worthwhile stuff to do...

pnw

Rower_CPU
Oct 18, 2003, 03:04 PM
DNFTT

Thank you

Les Kern
Oct 18, 2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Thom_Edwards
Or maybe you just wanted to get a rise our of people. well, you win, smart man.

You should be a lawyer.
He didn't get a rise out of me, because, man, I got's the $2,000 puppy terminal/doorstop.

Sincerely,
Third smartest Windows user on the planet. :)

crenz
Oct 18, 2003, 06:53 PM
Regarding Likvid's comments, I can understand what he means. There are very different styles of working, and I am glad FreeBSD is there to fulfill the needs of those that need it (My server runs on it, too). Your mistake, Likvid, is that you assume everybody works the same way.

For myself, I am a Unix geek that switched to the Mac. And it's not because I like to pay lots of extra money for Apple hardware. It's because I am much more productive on Mac OS X than on Linux or Windows. And since I am doing freelance programming work, the budgets are usually tight and the faster I work, the more I earn. Nobody pays me for the time I sit down and edit my ~/.fvwmrc (which, granted, is a thing you do once every blue moon, but it is just an example).

I used to use VNC on a Windows machine so I can do Windows programming natively and Unix programming via VNC on a linux box. Now, with my nice new sexy Powerbook :), I can do all of them on one machine. I use VirtualPC to do programming for Windows (I use MSVC for that), which emulates a PC and runs as Mac OS X app. And I've got my emacs and perl and gcc running under OS X. Frankly speaking, I can use a lot of the software on sourceforge.net just fine. That is, the things that are programmed to be portable, but you'd need that also to run them on FreeBSD. And of course, I can use wxWindows to cross-compile apps for Windows, BSD, Linux etc. Which I don't, since I don't need it right now and I am too lazy to set it up (you probably know what a PITA setting up a cross-compiling gcc can be).

So, to close, using OS X on Apple's hardware gives me the best system my money can buy for my uses. It might not suit you, but then FreeBSD doesn't suit everybody either.

Let me close by reminding you that in IT, there's far less absolute "rights" and "wrongs" than one thinks. :)

G5orbust
Oct 18, 2003, 06:54 PM

Bold: Likvid
Reg: G5orbust

So, wait a second here. You dont use windows because youre smart? Wow, guess that makes all of us smart too. Also FreeBSD + PC hardware is not the best of "all worlds". In fact, its not the best of any world at all.

Well, that certainly in not true. If you think that is...well..God help you. Also, why is this the best system money can buy? FreeBSD doesnt even really support, nor is it even supported, by most PC hardware manufacturers.

Here's a hint: Want open source? Use Linux.

I thought you were anti-Windows? If so, then why did you say that "we have video-on-demand"? Get your damn story straight, slick, before you come here and be retarded. By the way, video on demand is such a trival feature. Its like me saying that Apple is better than Windows because we have ADC and they have DVI.

What the hell are you talking about? Mac OSX: Darwin, based on a version of Free BSD, on the MACH kernal. That means that under this nice, pretty, quartz extreme rendered aqua interface runs the robust UNIX code that you so adamantly proclaim as supreme.

Also, X11/Fink are awesome open source tools within OSX and add a whole new facet to those for the open source community who are switching to OSX.

Those who dont like OSX can always use Linux versions that are PPC aware, such as Yellow Dog and Debian.

Just go to www.sourceforge.net and discover how much software we Linux and BSD users got. I don't beleive Mac will ever come up to that......

Have you looked at sourceforge in the last few years? If you haven't, take a look. You may suprise yourself that OSX programs exist there in huge numbers.

By the way, I like your grammar.

Because Mac OSX is better.

Why waste my time and skills making something productive when I can pop in 3 disks, install an OS and already be in shape to do whatever I need to do?

Pwnd.

porovaara
Oct 18, 2003, 07:42 PM

For someone that claims to really investigate and spend time on their computer you didn't even bother to check into why iTunes was taking so much CPU.

It was normalizing the volume on your mp3s. Stop giving FreeBSD users a bad name with your trolling (leave that for the lunix folk).

porovaara
Oct 18, 2003, 07:47 PM

Wow your ignorance is astounding. Why use OSX when you can use FreeBSD? Your question is backwords. What does it take to get apache up on OSX?

tar -zxvf apache-blah.tar; cd apache-blah; ./configure; ./make

WHOA SAME WAY AS DOING SRC COMPILES ON ANY OTHER MODERN UNIX PACKAGE.

Oh but I use ports you say? Well on OSX you use can be lazy and use Fink to do the exact same thing.

I have been doing unix work for over ten years (not playing; WORK) and my unix of choice for my workstation is OSX. When I deploy servers it is the proper OS for the appropriate function.

porovaara
Oct 18, 2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by oaklandbum
NeXT never actually ran on PPC, it only ran on the Motorola 68040 chips, before switching to x86

OPENStep (last versions of NeXTSTEP) ran on lots of different CPUs.

benixau
Oct 18, 2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by porovaara

your wrong - all you have to do is go into your sharing preferences and turn on Personal Web Sharing.
It is all Apache in MacOS X. Then just place your web page in ~/Sites/ with your primary page called index.html and violá.

Hmmm:-
vs.
click - click - click - click; drag and drop.

likvid: i think i know which users are smarter ……

BTW. can you see those dots in BSD - on a mac they are option-; and are actually a real character ………

Vlade
Oct 18, 2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by dho
One would think that he would use an IBM

It would be better if they used a Dell, so Dell users can see it works on their dell systems.

porovaara
Oct 18, 2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by benixau
your wrong - all you have to do is go into your sharing preferences and turn on Personal Web Sharing.

I was illustrating how it was exactly the same process on osx as FreeBSD to use any build of apache you pull down from the official site.

So I don't think I am "wrong".

rt_brained
Oct 18, 2003, 10:34 PM

Hey Likvid, it's me, Joe from work. I need you to come in an hour early tomorrow morning. We've got another ball stuck inside the windmill on hole #7 and some jerk-off dumped dish soap into the "welcome" fountain again. I need you to drain it, scrub it (thoroughly this time) and get it up and running before opening.

- Joe

Powerbook G5
Oct 19, 2003, 12:22 AM
One thing I noticed when reading Likvid's posts is that apparently FreeBSD on his computer doesn't come with a spelling check nor a grammar check...perhaps he should invest some of that time he has when he comes home from work each day to look up a nice opensource spell checker so he can let us know how much more superior he is to us while using better spelling and punctuation.

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 19, 2003, 01:00 AM

Let's see..... school, homework, volunteer work, friends, exercise, making dinner, seeing family.......

I use OSX because I can't do that stuff and don't WANT to do that stuff. I want to use a computer that works without me working. That's what OSX does. If you enjoy tinkering around, bully for you. Most of us don't care.

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 19, 2003, 01:06 AM

Ummmmmm, dude? I just installed it on my parent's crippled Compaq (The one that's being replaced by an iMac in a couple weeks) and it works flawlessly. 90% of CPU resources? Maybe on my family's first computer..... the one with a 25 MHz processor and Windows 3.1 ;)

Rower_CPU
Oct 19, 2003, 02:02 AM
Folks, Likvid is "guested" (aka., not coming back).

Let's move on. ;)

G5orbust
Oct 19, 2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Folks, Likvid is "guested" (aka., not coming back).

Let's move on. ;)

we...must...flame...

Seriously Rower, if he thinks he can come on our boards, even as a guest, and say dumb stuff, he is just throwing rocks at the hornet's nest.

Powerbook G5
Oct 19, 2003, 02:07 AM
If you want to flame, make sure to bring plenty of marshmallows, Hershey bars, and graham crackers so we can all gather around and enjoy some smores. ;)

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 19, 2003, 02:16 AM
I have plenty of lighter fluid!! And napalm! How 'bout some of that? :D

benixau
Oct 19, 2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by porovaara
I was illustrating how it was exactly the same process on osx as FreeBSD to use any build of apache you pull down from the official site.

So I don't think I am "wrong".

sorry - its been a few years since i got realy dirty in *nix stuff (OSX an' all) and just saw ugly command line stuff - there has to be a better way - <superman theme>Steve Jobs' Apple Corp. to the rescue - 'CLICK' <end theme>

oldschool
Oct 19, 2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Jagga
This is what I find amusing. Here in Canada, one of the most respected newspapers, The National Post, posted articles of Apple's iTunes for Windows announcement expectation along with Apple's financial results - albeit chopped (not the full results).

Meanwhile on the opposite page they posted an article of M$ and Bill Gates spending $1.4Billion (i think) on a deal with Europes largest cellphone service provider to provide M$ based smartphones & services for them. Of course the usual M$ hooplaw was added, but just a little disdainful remarks of this could lead to standards not being followed. M$ tried to close a research to market smartphones deal here in Canada 1yr ago with Canada's largest cellphone service provider Rogers AT&T Wireless which Rogers' abandoned the deal - not without collecting the duckets first.

This was great to see, since iTunes worked flawlessly, and he highlighted not only iTunes and the iTunes Music Store, but also QuickTime and the video on demand Movie trailers - indeed its been done for years. That's success, that even M$ hasn't enjoyed lately, as well as Dell. COnsidering Video-On-Demand will be huge soon.

Apple just keeps on pushing, woohooo.:cool:

The national post is going broke, thats why they are doing all those telemarketing promotions and handing out free subscriptions.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 19, 2003, 05:00 AM
Steve Jobs is brilliant, but he really needs to shave.

benixau
Oct 19, 2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Steve Jobs is brilliant, but he really needs to shave.

yeah - the grey hairs are showing :D

gotohamish
Oct 19, 2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Sol
All hail Likvid, who has time and skills.

LOL :D :D :D

obeygiant
Oct 19, 2003, 09:31 AM
this is an email from a PC user friend of mine. What would be your response...

subject: iTunes Blows
Well, I tried to get into iTunes last night and today and it still doesn’t work._It gives me a message that iTunes has an internal error and not enough memory is available.

_

It is the year 2003.

unquote

G5orbust
Oct 19, 2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by obeygiant

Well, I tried to get into iTunes last night and today and it still doesn’t work._It gives me a message that iTunes has an internal error and not enough memory is available.

_

It is the year 2003.

unquote

Maybe they should invest in a nice 256MB DIMM, because if they dont have enough memory for iTunes, they dont have enough memory to run Windows XP. iTunes requires 128MB of RAM in Windows machines.

benixau
Oct 19, 2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by obeygiant

_

It is the year 2003.

unquote

email him back saying - fine then either a) get a mac b) get a better mac or c) get some memory for your crap a$$ pc

somehow i think he will choose c. but then our pc only has 256 and it runs iT + XPPro fine and fast Celeron 2.78 (2.4 o/c)

On the other hand my DP1G MDD w/768 runs iT+X.2 (5 days for me till X.3)+Safari+FCP+ ……

LimeLite
Oct 20, 2003, 12:41 AM
I loved in the presentation when Steve had announced iTunes for Windows, then he was talking about how he was going to iChat AV with some people, and he was like "I need to use the mac for that one". Everyone at the Apple store was cracking up.

Also, for those who say that Apple hardware is inferior...you do realize that CISC processors can only go so far, and that eventually even Intel will have to move to RISC, right? In fact, it's my understanding that Intel is already hard at work trying to come up with a solution for bridging the gap between CISC and RISC so that eventually all of their chips will be RISC.

G5orbust
Oct 20, 2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by LimeLite

Also, for those who say that Apple hardware is inferior...you do realize that CISC processors can only go so far, and that eventually even Intel will have to move to RISC, right? In fact, it's my understanding that Intel is already hard at work trying to come up with a solution for bridging the gap between CISC and RISC so that eventually all of their chips will be RISC.

x86 procs are a combination of RISC and CISC. At least such is true with Intel x86 procs and I assume AMD follows suit.

Story goes that Apple went RISC while x86 procs went CISC, citing that CISC was betetr suited for future use. Then, things changed, as we all know, and computer hardware got a lot cheaper. Thus, the x86 crowd saw no need to continue with only CISC, so they combined the two, forming an evolution that blurred the line between the two. I am not sure if Apple ever followed suit.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 20, 2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by G5orbust
x86 procs are a combination of RISC and CISC. At least such is true with Intel x86 procs and I assume AMD follows suit.

Story goes that Apple went RISC while x86 procs went CISC, citing that CISC was betetr suited for future use. Then, things changed, as we all know, and computer hardware got a lot cheaper. Thus, the x86 crowd saw no need to continue with only CISC, so they combined the two, forming an evolution that blurred the line between the two. I am not sure if Apple ever followed suit.

AMD has their own, completely different, RISC architecture that converts instructions to and from x86.

panphage
Oct 20, 2003, 02:48 AM
This is the all-devourer publicly apologizing for being dumb: of course NeXTStep didn't run on PPC. DOH! I've just gotten used to writing "PPC" when I mean "a motorola chip used in an Apple computer". :)

Wardofsky
Oct 20, 2003, 06:03 AM
It's funny how a similair thing happened, a whole thread about a Dell on Steve's desk @ Pixar.

Dells are good for the price, for PC users...