PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV and Vista

Frisco
Jan 26, 2008, 09:43 PM
Thinking about getting an Apple TV for a friend's birthday. A couple of Qs:

1) How does it work with Vista?

2) Should I also get him an Airport Extreme? He currently has a "G" router. How does Airport Extreme work with Vista?

3) Where does Apple TV get its pictures from? MY Pictures folder or does he need to get that Adobe software? God I hope Apple TV would just use the MY Pictures folder?

Thanks!

err404
Jan 26, 2008, 10:14 PM
While most of my machines are Mac's, my utility machine is an old dell running XP. I know your asking about Vista, but two cents is that the windows version of iTunes is essential the same as the Mac version (if not a bit more of a resource hog). The real question is weather or not your friend likes iTunes for organizing his media. Alot of windows user don't, so that could be a deal breaker.

As for the Airport extreme. It will work fine with Vista, but he will need to install an app on his machine to manage it. I recommend just getting a linksys or belkin with a web interface for a windows user.

err404
Jan 26, 2008, 10:18 PM
One more thing... the latest version of iTunes supports Vista 64 bit. in previous versions of iTunes 64 bit installs were an issue.

macleod199
Jan 27, 2008, 06:54 PM
As for the Airport extreme. It will work fine with Vista, but he will need to install an app on his machine to manage it. I recommend just getting a linksys or belkin with a web interface for a windows user.

I find the Apple app is way better than any web interface I've used for a router. The linksys web thing is pretty good, though. D-Link is awful.

jammyf
Jan 27, 2008, 10:07 PM
Thinking about getting an Apple TV for a friend's birthday. A couple of Qs:

1) How does it work with Vista?

2) Should I also get him an Airport Extreme? He currently has a "G" router. How does Airport Extreme work with Vista?

3) Where does Apple TV get its pictures from? MY Pictures folder or does he need to get that Adobe software? God I hope Apple TV would just use the MY Pictures folder?

Thanks!

I have this exact setup, so I can say it works fine with Vista. I also have the Airport Extreme which is substantially faster than my previous G router.

As for photos, you tell the Apple TV which folder to sync from. My Pictures folder works fine.

Hope this helps

Frisco
Jan 28, 2008, 07:41 AM
Thanks a lot! Very helpful.

JPT
Jan 28, 2008, 02:05 PM
I'm assuming that the syncing is very similar to an iPod. Back when I used Windows it allowed me to select the folder of images I wanted to sync over to the iPod. And other than that it works essentially the same as the Mac version :)