PDA

View Full Version : Katie's iPhone Mix

katie ta achoo
Jan 28, 2008, 10:51 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

This post is actually written by arn, but categorized in Katie's posts. Katie had her own reasons for stopping her column, but things ended amicably between us. This is a previously unpublished iTunes mix from Katie (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewIMix?id=262284072 ) which will serve as her last post. - arn.

Katie's iPhone Mix (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewIMix?id=262284072) - Songs I love put into a playlist for easy iPhone in-car listening.

1. When Your Mind's Made Up - Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova
2. The Bitch is Back - Elton John
3. No Hay Manera (Jason Roberts Remix) - Akwid
4. Hell Yes - Beck
5 .Swollen Summer - The Bravery
6. Novotel - Adam Green
7. There's Always Someone Cooler Than You - Ben Folds
8. Mess - Ben Folds Five
9. I'm Lookin for Someone to Love - Buddy Holly & The Crickets
10. Don't Tell Mama - Original Broadway Cast
11. Boys Keep Swinging - David Bowie
12. Bruised - The Bens
13. Rock Me Amadeus - Falco
14. Ding Don Song (Almighty Mix) - Gunther & the Sunshine Girls & The Sunshine Girls
15. Kate - Ben Folds Five
16. Improper Dancing - Electric Six
17. The Strangest Secret In the World - London Elektricity
18. Work Song - Nellie McKay
19. Songs of Love - Ben Folds

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/01/28/katies-iphone-mix/)

Doctor Q
Jan 28, 2008, 11:04 PM
According to iTunes, that's 6 Pop, 5 Rock, 4 Alternative, 2 Soundtrack, 1 Electronic, and 1 Latin.

But their classifications often baffle me. To me, Ding Dong Song sounds at least as electronic as The Strangest Secret In the World, and I'd call Mess a pop song, not a rock song.

But who cares? It's what you like to listen to that counts!

drumpat01
Jan 28, 2008, 11:12 PM
Horray for Ben Folds!!!

kainjow
Jan 28, 2008, 11:24 PM
Horray for Ben Folds!!!

I was just going to mention that :). The Bens is great as well.

s.hoz
Jan 28, 2008, 11:55 PM
Beck is kick butt.

veeco3110
Jan 29, 2008, 12:15 AM
have any one of you guys ever seen what gunther looks like...?

probably the most redic guy ever

pilotkev1
Jan 29, 2008, 01:02 AM
Good to see Elton on the list.

infamous
Jan 29, 2008, 03:00 AM
Why did this make macrumor's iPhone frontpage?

Markleshark
Jan 29, 2008, 04:18 AM

Er, It's not on the front page... :confused:

davidjearly
Jan 29, 2008, 04:20 AM

Er, It's not on the front page... :confused:

I think he means here: http://www.macrumors.com/members/iphone/

Edit: And to answer the question, I think it's because Arn can post things wherever he wants, it is his site after all.

Markleshark
Jan 29, 2008, 04:23 AM
I think he means here: http://www.macrumors.com/members/iphone/

Edit: And to answer the question, I think it's because Arn can post things wherever he wants, it is his site after all.

Mwah. Oops, my bad.

JoshH
Jan 29, 2008, 07:34 AM
Good call on When Your Mind's Made Up... and the rest of the Once soundtrack for that matter.

iStefmac
Jan 29, 2008, 07:53 AM

:rolleyes: yea. this definitely doesn't belong anywhere though.

floatingspirit
Jan 29, 2008, 09:14 AM
Y'all are missing the point. Katie's gone....

Katie! Your writing was witty, entertaining and fun. At least one reader is sad to see you go...Is there another column/blog we can check out if we want to enjoy her writing elsewhere?

Rangerflite
Jan 29, 2008, 10:36 AM
Sorry to see you go..but the.....playlist....:eek:!!!....

Rocketman
Jan 29, 2008, 11:52 AM
Y'all are missing the point. Katie's gone....

Katie! Your writing was witty, entertaining and fun. At least one reader is sad to see you go...Is there another column/blog we can check out if we want to enjoy her writing elsewhere?

She was GIVEN an iPhone so she could post her experiences with it EARLY to MacRumors. She really didn't post very much stuff. She also didn't do much from a "technical" perspective to test features and performances of the device.

I wish her well and appreciated an early perspective from a female. But as far as bloggers go, she was very light on content and posting frequency considering her "mission."

That is my kind hearted opinion.

Rocketman

loudestnoise
Jan 29, 2008, 01:08 PM
A very eclectic mix of tracks on the playlist, I find it rather interesting to see what people consider "jam out" music for driving in the car. It's too bad Katie won't be posting anymore, while her posts did reflect more on her personal experiences, I think I sometimes grow tired of reading just the facts and release/updates information that other sites provide. (not saying that I don't read them, I read MR daily)

SwiftLives
Jan 29, 2008, 01:22 PM
How cool. I just saw Once last night. It took me a moment to realize where I knew 'When your mind's made up' from.

Nice eclectic mix.

shadowfax
Jan 29, 2008, 03:57 PM
I miss Katie's blog too, but I sure don't miss all the haters in the comments. That was definitely a low point in the history of the site. methinks people should have been banned rather than discontinuing Katie's blog... alas.

I find it funny that so many of her critics feel the need to re-post their criticisms in every single article connected with her blog... Like we didn't read it the first time.

rdowns
Jan 29, 2008, 06:09 PM
I miss Katie's blog too, but I sure don't miss all the haters in the comments. That was definitely a low point in the history of the site. methinks people should have been banned rather than discontinuing Katie's blog... alas.

I find it funny that so many of her critics feel the need to re-post their criticisms in every single article connected with her blog... Like we didn't read it the first time.

Hear, hear. I respect KTs decision to drop the blog due to the vicious attacks she received. WTF is wrong with people, if you don't like something, move on. I can understand it wasn't technical enough for some people; there were and are still plenty of places to get your tech fix. I also think many were just jealous she was given an iPhone.

dsnort
Jan 29, 2008, 06:17 PM
Hear, hear. I respect KTs decision to drop the blog due to the vicious attacks she received. WTF is wrong with people, if you don't like something, move on. I can understand it wasn't technical enough for some people; there were and are still plenty of places to get your tech fix. I also think many were just jealous she was given an iPhone.

I never read the blog much, but I do remember some rather stiff and unkind comments she received.

Sadly this forum is, in many ways, diminished by her absence.

Godspeed katie, and keep an eye out for Chupacabbra's.

corywoolf
Jan 31, 2008, 01:05 PM
I never read the blog much, but I do remember some rather stiff and unkind comments she received.

Sadly this forum is, in many ways, diminished by her absence.

Godspeed katie, and keep an eye out for Chupacabbra's.

So just because some newbs made some unkind comments, she is calling it quits? I guess there wouldn't be a whole lot more to write about on the iPhone.

WildCowboy
Jan 31, 2008, 01:08 PM
So just because some newbs made some unkind comments, she is calling it quits?

You might want to see her post here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4867025&postcount=8) for some more perspective on the situation.

corywoolf
Jan 31, 2008, 02:21 PM
You might want to see her post here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4867025&postcount=8) for some more perspective on the situation.

Well, that explains a lot, thanks for the link. Hope she gets better. Sounds like she needs a change of pace anyways. I mean, I think everyone (especially frugal students) get sick of the repetitiveness of day to day life at some point. That's when I like to take a mini-vacation (cheap one) to somewhere decently far away for a few days. It's amazing what a week's break to a state far away can do for me.

ethernet76
Feb 6, 2008, 01:41 AM

Is it really too much to ask for a knowledge reviewer? This is the largest mac-related website and our own reviewer had such awesome revelations as, iPhone: Not a flashlight.

Perhaps the misunderstanding happened when the word blog got involved. This blog has always been more of an iPhone-related journal.

ethernet76
Feb 6, 2008, 01:47 AM
I also demerit this list for being overly indie heavy. Not one rap, country or jazz song?

glennyboiwpg
Feb 6, 2008, 09:20 AM
WOw... after reading that post from katie regarding what was happing in her life... Were those problems created by people's comments on this site? If so, we all have serious problems. I agree, parhaps her blog was light on tech details.. but hey... guess what people... not everyone is a programmer or a IT guy. Not everyone needs the details on the inner workings of the processur of the dammed thing, or how to tweak start up configuration files, using your favorite HEX editor.

I hope Katie, that things get better... and from someone who has had a bout or two with anxietiy and depression... hang in there... life does get better!

Piarco
Feb 6, 2008, 10:31 AM
I also demerit this list for being overly indie heavy. Not one rap, country or jazz song?

Believe it or not, not everyone likes the same music - why include a genre in a personal playlist if you don't actually like the genre? I demerit (WTF?) your post for mentioning "country"...

Is it really too much to ask for a knowledge reviewer? This is the largest mac-related website and our own reviewer had such awesome revelations as, iPhone: Not a flashlight.

Perhaps the misunderstanding happened when the word blog got involved. This blog has always been more of an iPhone-related journal.

There are plenty of user reviews of the technical in-and-outs of the iPhone in thar interwebs - Katie's blog was of the iPhone in normal day-to-day usage, and I like others, found it refreshing...

Just my pound sterling.

katie ta achoo
Feb 6, 2008, 11:16 AM
:confused:
Many blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject; others function as more personal online diaries.
(emphasis mine)

But let's not quibble over diction. The blog was an experiment. Some people "got it" and others didn't. arn's idea was to have something that wasn't all tech; something more irreverent, flippant, and personal.

And if it helps any, I finally went to the dollar store and bought a purse-sized flashlight. :p

devilot
Feb 6, 2008, 11:19 AM
Katie?

"Shun the non-believers! Shuuuuunnnn! Shuuuunnnn!"

:D

Seriously though, I think most people know that blogs can be technical or personal. I mean, it's not like there are blogging communities like Xanga, LiveJournal, Blogger or anything else to dispel such a notion. Oh wait... :rolleyes:

And if it helps any, I finally went to the dollar store and bought a purse-sized flashlight. :p You go girl! I used to carry a MagLite keychain flashlight. I had to stop because I kept hurting myself w/ it. :o Those suckers are damned hard. Owwie.

Klaxons2012
Feb 6, 2008, 02:34 PM

I have to agree with you. It's eclectic in a sense, but i feel like if you find a diehard Electric Six fan, they'll tell you they love Elton John, and so on, you can make connections to each artist on the mix. I know Katie has voiced her dislike for hip hop in a previous post so you won't find any Notorious BIG on this list. I think we have to remember though, this is her personal choice. I can't knock what she personally likes to hear. I was moreso responding to the claims that her list was very eclectic. Kid Sister to California Lightening to T-Model Ford to Boris is eclectic in my opinion.

Klaxons2012
Feb 6, 2008, 02:49 PM
:confused:

(emphasis mine)

But let's not quibble over diction. The blog was an experiment. Some people "got it" and others didn't. arn's idea was to have something that wasn't all tech; something more irreverent, flippant, and personal.

And if it helps any, I finally went to the dollar store and bought a purse-sized flashlight. :p

(for a moment, I thought there was a MR member named "Wikipedia" :P)

I feel like those that have been critical of the situation have been unfair. It may have been born out of the slight measure of jealousy concerning you recieving the iPhone to carry out this blog. When that detail was exposed, you were held to a pretty lofty standard of delivering posts like a Professional Blogger. But I feel like people should've dialed down the criticism and really took your accounts for what they were, a personal diary of your iPhone experience.

I wish you the best. :)

josielinnea
Feb 7, 2008, 05:14 AM
Also noticed the lack of blogging and then started thinking that I hadn't seen your posts lately in the forums... Never got around to ask.

I really hope you get better soon Katie.

It strikes me every time that something like this happens, that the people who are being mean online, always defends themselves by "that's my opinion", "it didn't reach my expectations" and so forth.. But it really doesn't matter. What matters is that everyones just a human being. It doesn't matter what one thinks, if it really hurts someone else to say it - don't freaking say it.

JesterJJZ
Feb 8, 2008, 12:27 AM
Who is Katie...?

tgildred
Feb 11, 2008, 08:17 PM
nice playlist, and a great way to officially sign off the blog.

I picked up a few of these songs just now. Good stuff.

Sorry to see you go. The forums around here just seem to be getting meaner and meaner...

(And Ben Folds is the greatest, so your "demerits" are automatically remerited. Haha.)

tgildred
Feb 11, 2008, 08:18 PM
Who is Katie...?

A mysterious star-child, of unknown origins.

starpolyp
Feb 15, 2008, 12:24 PM
and I thought we had another Lacero conspiracy on our hands.

JMax1
Mar 30, 2008, 08:54 PM
What happened to Katie? We haven't seen an update to "Katie says" in a very long time. What is she using her phone for lately?

josielinnea
Mar 31, 2008, 07:42 AM
What happened to Katie? We haven't seen an update to "Katie says" in a very long time. What is she using her phone for lately?

Have you read anything in this thread at all?

dudeofblokes
Apr 1, 2008, 06:47 PM
has anyone heard from katie at all and know if she's ok or how the situation with her health is

SthrnCmfrtr
Apr 3, 2008, 05:07 PM
But, it seems like KT's blog is turning into Yahweh - for good or bad, nobody is allowed to comment on it.

I think that said it all -- about Katie's blog, this particular issue, and MR as a whole.