PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air: Data Transfer Question

rugbyboy
Jan 29, 2008, 10:43 AM
Ok, so I was thinking or ordering a Macbook Air which i will use as my primary machine (i surf the internet, write emails and docs in Word so horsepower is not a concern of mine)

However how will I tranfer the data from my old mac (an imac G5) to the new one? Does transfer assistant work wirelessly as I only thought it could do firewire transfer? wont it be hugely slow?

Any ideas?

Ben

waterskier2007
Jan 29, 2008, 10:44 AM
im assuming that the air will come with some kind of software that will allow the assistant to work wirelessly

just speculation though

SteveSparks
Jan 29, 2008, 10:44 AM
However how will I tranfer the data from my old mac (an imac G5) to the new one? Does transfer assistant work wirelessly as I only thought it could do firewire transfer? wont it be hugely slow?

It works over wired or wireless network connection. You will need to install the new migration assistant from the MBA install disks.

DavoMrMac
Jan 29, 2008, 10:50 AM
Yes, this is the right info, there is a Wireless Migration Assistant to transfer your settings etc.

rugbyboy
Jan 29, 2008, 10:51 AM
Wireleesly would make sense but doesn't that mean, given my iMac is only g-wireless, that it'll take aaaages to et the 40GBS on my iMac over?

rugbyboy
Jan 29, 2008, 10:52 AM
Just answered my own question

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/wireless.html

Consultant
Jan 29, 2008, 10:58 AM
Cool. Transfers through wireless. I wonder if it will work with the ethernet dongle which should be faster than wireless.

SteveSparks
Jan 29, 2008, 11:00 AM
Cool. Transfers through wireless. I wonder if it will work with the ethernet dongle which should be faster than wireless.

Yes, and you can connect them directly

MBA <==> Any Other Mac w/ new Assistant

No special configuration required the Migration Assistant figures it out.