PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Logic Board Question

circusbass
Jan 29, 2008, 02:31 PM
I recently took my 15in 1.5ghz powerbook to an AASP and was told that my logic board needed to be repleaced. He quoted me $369 and told me the turn around was going to be 4-5 days. I asked him just to be sure: This would include a logic board replacement and would only cost $369? He confirmed that it shouldn't cost more than that. Being the creature of habit I am I decided to take it to a Genius Bar for a 2nd opinion. My appt is tomorrow and I decided to research it further before I went. I have read other reports claiming that Apple charges upward of 500-800 to replace the logic board. Does anyone know if the replacement for the logic board is supposed to cost that much? I don't expect someone to know exactly but I was wondering if anyone has any reports or experience with this.

Thank you.

squeeks
Jan 29, 2008, 02:53 PM
ifixit wants like 600 bucks for it, so im offically suspicious

http://www.ifixit.com/PowerBook-Parts/G4-Aluminum-15-Inch-1-5-GHz-Logic-Board-BT-1-1/IF164-000

marykay9507
Jan 29, 2008, 04:16 PM
apple charges you for the price of the part and also the labor-- going to be lots more than what you were quoted by AASP

circusbass
Jan 29, 2008, 11:58 PM
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it. Does apple tell you this before you send it out?

marykay9507
Jan 30, 2008, 03:34 PM
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it. Does apple tell you this before you send it out?

yes-- they have to get approval from you to fix it, so they will tell you the cost beforehand

circusbass
Jan 30, 2008, 03:56 PM
So I went to the Apple Store today and got it looked at. They told me that the price to replace the logic board would be $330 with a 90-day warranty on it. That is, if there is no tampering damage or water damage. The guy said he thinks the $330 should cover it. The worse case scenario is that it costs a lot more and I refuse service. Then I only have to pay $100 for them to have looked at it. I guess I will find out within 5-7 days. If it all works out then I'd definately be giddy. Especially when I see the other prices people have paid for their logic board replacements.

marykay9507
Jan 30, 2008, 04:05 PM
So I went to the Apple Store today and got it looked at. They told me that the price to replace the logic board would be $330 with a 90-day warranty on it. That is, if there is no tampering damage or water damage. The guy said he thinks the $330 should cover it. The worse case scenario is that it costs a lot more and I refuse service. Then I only have to pay $100 for them to have looked at it. I guess I will find out within 5-7 days. If it all works out then I'd definately be giddy. Especially when I see the other prices people have paid for their logic board replacements.

why do you have to pay $100 for them to look a it?

Consultant
Jan 30, 2008, 04:40 PM
The prices you are quoted are decent.

why do you have to pay $100 for them to look a it?

All repair places charges a fee for diagnostics.

They need to spend time taking it apart, diagnose problem, putting it together.

marykay9507
Jan 30, 2008, 06:27 PM
The prices you are quoted are decent.

All repair places charges a fee for diagnostics.

They need to spend time taking it apart, diagnose problem, putting it together.

got ya-- knew there was no charge for going to the bar at the apple store-- i misunderstood that they were keeping to take apart and such-- thank you for clarifying;)

circusbass
Feb 7, 2008, 12:00 PM
OK so I got the PB back and it works well. I paid $330 for a complete logic board replacement. All is well so far. I was very pleased with the speedy service and they even went so far as to clean up the exterior and add new rubber feet. Only thing I wasn't so pleased with was a few settings were changed. The background picture was changed and some iscroll options were different. All in all I'd definitely say it was a great experience. I'm just happy to have it back.