Powerbook Logic Board Question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by circusbass, Jan 29, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

I recently took my 15in 1.5ghz powerbook to an AASP and was told that my logic board needed to be repleaced. He quoted me $369 and told me the turn around was going to be 4-5 days. I asked him just to be sure: This would include a logic board replacement and would only cost $369? He confirmed that it shouldn't cost more than that. Being the creature of habit I am I decided to take it to a Genius Bar for a 2nd opinion. My appt is tomorrow and I decided to research it further before I went. I have read other reports claiming that Apple charges upward of 500-800 to replace the logic board. Does anyone know if the replacement for the logic board is supposed to cost that much? I don't expect someone to know exactly but I was wondering if anyone has any reports or experience with this.

Thank you.

2. macrumors 68040

squeeks

3. macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

apple charges you for the price of the part and also the labor-- going to be lots more than what you were quoted by AASP

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it. Does apple tell you this before you send it out?

5. macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

yes-- they have to get approval from you to fix it, so they will tell you the cost beforehand

6. thread starter macrumors regular

So I went to the Apple Store today and got it looked at. They told me that the price to replace the logic board would be $330 with a 90-day warranty on it. That is, if there is no tampering damage or water damage. The guy said he thinks the $330 should cover it. The worse case scenario is that it costs a lot more and I refuse service. Then I only have to pay $100 for them to have looked at it. I guess I will find out within 5-7 days. If it all works out then I'd definately be giddy. Especially when I see the other prices people have paid for their logic board replacements.

7. macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

why do you have to pay $100 for them to look a it?

8. macrumors G5

Consultant

The prices you are quoted are decent.

All repair places charges a fee for diagnostics.

They need to spend time taking it apart, diagnose problem, putting it together.

9. macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

got ya-- knew there was no charge for going to the bar at the apple store-- i misunderstood that they were keeping to take apart and such-- thank you for clarifying;)

10. thread starter macrumors regular

OK so I got the PB back and it works well. I paid $330 for a complete logic board replacement. All is well so far. I was very pleased with the speedy service and they even went so far as to clean up the exterior and add new rubber feet. Only thing I wasn't so pleased with was a few settings were changed. The background picture was changed and some iscroll options were different. All in all I'd definitely say it was a great experience. I'm just happy to have it back.