Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shuffles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
dublin, ireland
I jst pre ordered a macbook air and want to get a mac desktop as well but i dont have much money left after buying the Air so i was thinking of buying a G4 from ebay (the one with the swivelly screen). Personally, i think its the nicest looking iMac ever built n i can get one for bout 250 euro, but i was wondering if it would run Leopard on it??? and iLife '08 and Office '08??

Cheers,
Shuffles.

CashGap

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Music City, USA
And as additional anectdotal support, I run Leopard on a 1.25 iMac G4 and it runs very well, though I don't use iLife apps on it. I believe others have had similar good experiences.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
I have it running very well on an 700 iMac G4. No problems whatsoever. Now, keep in mind, I had to install it with the iMac connected to my iBook as a target disk, but that's only because it doesn't have a DVD drive and it doesn't meet the minimum requirements as far as processor speed.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I put it on my parent's 1GHz G4 iMac with 768MB RAM. Runs like a charm :)

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
Leopard will run on any G4 with a minimum of an 867 MHz processor and 512 MB of memory. Though I'd recommend at least a 1 GHz G4 and 1 GB of RAM.

Cdmphoenix

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Thanks sunfast!

I just purchased exactly the computer that sunfast's parents have and I was wondering if I could put leopard on it with it running reasonably well. I already knew the requirements I just like to now that other people have done the same exact situation and have had success. I don't really have a good reason to switch to leopard but its only 69 bucks at my school store so I might do that (iwork '08 and ilife '08 are only 39 so I might get those too :) Its my first mac so wish me luck! (if anyone reads this thread which isn't likely) :p

Digitalflick

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2002
I installed it on my 700MHz G4 iMac over firewire. The only issue I have with it is it will not wake from sleep. It just comes up with multicolored lines on the display. A restart is needed to fix it. As long as I keep it form going to sleep no issues.

Cdmphoenix

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Does anyone know if I should up my ram.

I have a 15" 1.0 ghz imac g4 with 768 mb of ram. I plan to use garageband 08, word processing and web browsing and copy dvds to it for watching on it. I am going to put leopard on it and I wanted to know if it sounds like I should up the ram to 1.25gb? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.