Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Do Macs get spyware? On a Windows comp, you can get spyware just by going to the wrong sites (have you ever tried http://www.thesun.co.uk??), as well as from using things like Kazaa (not Kazaalite).

However, you can get Ad-Aware 6 for Windows absolutely free. I've never thought about it, but is there free software that checks Macs for spyware? Can the same spyware that infects Windows computers also infect Macs? I wouldn't think so, but I just want to double check.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I am looking for the same. Just did a search at download.com, but didn't find much...

Could it be, is there no spyware active on the mac?!?!?! Is Bill M$ "Gate(s)master to Hell" not interested in Macs?!?!

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
there are. i dont know if for x or classic, but there are.

last year in italy someone was sued for spying a journalist. he had a mac.

Archaeopteryx

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2003
Originally posted by Dreadnought
I am looking for the same. Just did a search at download.com, but didn't find much...

Could it be, is there no spyware active on the mac?!?!?! Is Bill M$ "Gate(s)master to Hell" not interested in Macs?!?!

Bill gates doesnt make spyware... Please click the link in my sig :-D

In other news... It will be great using a computer with no spyware.. I have to run adaware daily to get rid of all the **** you pick up surfing the web on windows :-/

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
but isn't Photoshop 7 and Office X kind of spyware-ish? they both secretly sign on to the internet to check for registration info when you're using them. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Aw, cheers. :)

I was afraid that I would get spyware by using Acquisition. Or actually, I'm using Acqlite, which is like a free version of Acquisition, which I believe you have to pay for. Of course, I wouldn't know, since I didn't pay. :D

I got acqlite at versiontracker.com, in case you wanted to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.