PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air Store Status Update

ahaxton
Jan 31, 2008, 06:57 PM
Have bad news here. Got the call from the store (twice now they've called me with updates, such great service), he told me the shipment is arriving tomorrow, but late in the day. It seems like all the shipments will be arriving sometime late tomorrow when it comes to stores on the East Coast. He rescheduled my appointment for Saturday first thing am. I am guessing places like New York might put them up for sale at night. Thought everyone would like to hear about the phone call I got since they are so nice and open about info.

I am in Atlanta by the way.

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 07:25 PM
Have bad news here. Got the call from the store (twice now they've called me with updates, such great service), he told me the shipment is arriving tomorrow, but late in the day. It seems like all the shipments will be arriving sometime late tomorrow when it comes to stores on the East Coast. He rescheduled my appointment for Saturday first thing am. I am guessing places like New York might put them up for sale at night. Thought everyone would like to hear about the phone call I got since they are so nice and open about info.

I am in Atlanta by the way.

That is great service! I've dropped more than 30k at my local hmm, hmm Durham NC store and they still act like they're doing me a favor by talking to me period, let alone with any real info. Some good, some bad I guess. I've since taken my business to the newest one 20 miles away who seem to care.

ahaxton
Jan 31, 2008, 07:31 PM
That is great service! I've dropped more than 30k at my local hmm, hmm Durham NC store and they still act like they're doing me a favor by talking to me period, let alone with any real info. Some good, some bad I guess. I've since taken my business to the newest one 20 miles away who seem to care.

Wow that sucks. Out of all the stores in Atlanta, this one seems to be the best when it comes to service. It's great how you can get all the info when so many stores don't even want to comment on the shipment.

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 07:36 PM
Wow that sucks. Out of all the stores in Atlanta, this one seems to be the best when it comes to service. It's great how you can get all the info when so many stores don't even want to comment on the shipment.

It's stores like yours that get repeat buyers. I've had to stand around my old Durham store for 45 minutes before anyone even talked to me to buy 6 ibook g4's a few years back. Then they kiss up but the bad service is remembered.

Good luck on nailing an Air soon!!

ahaxton
Jan 31, 2008, 07:46 PM
It's stores like yours that get repeat buyers. I've had to stand around my old Durham store for 45 minutes before anyone even talked to me to buy 6 ibook g4's a few years back. Then they kiss up but the bad service is remembered.

Good luck on nailing an Air soon!!

Wow. Well I can't wait to get it. I'm crossing my fingers for SSD in the shipment. Who knows though, might be so limited that you might only be able to pick it up in Cali and New York for retail launch. They told me that they know the shipment will be coming in late tomorrow with units, but they aren't aware yet as to which models will be in the first shipment. Since it is Atlanta, I'm hoping they'll deem us worthy lol.

Jimmie Geddes
Jan 31, 2008, 08:02 PM
I spoke to someone from the Apple Store in the Short Hills mall in NJ. She told me that they already have MacBook Airs in stock and will begin selling them when they open the store.

ahaxton
Jan 31, 2008, 08:03 PM
I spoke to someone from the Apple Store in the Short Hills mall in NJ. She told me that they already have MacBook Airs in stock and will begin selling them when they open the store.

Yeah I figured some closer to New York would get theirs in stock sooner than the Southeast. For us the shipment doesn't come in till late tomorrow. So they rescheduled me for Saturday am.

Jimmie Geddes
Jan 31, 2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah I figured some closer to New York would get theirs in stock sooner than the Southeast. For us the shipment doesn't come in till late tomorrow. So they rescheduled me for Saturday am.
If I were you I'd give the store a call first thing in the morning. Apple is very strict on product launches and satisfying demand, I wouldn't be surprised if your MacBook Air isn't in stock tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

ahaxton
Jan 31, 2008, 08:14 PM
If I were you I'd give the store a call first thing in the morning. Apple is very strict on product launches and satisfying demand, I wouldn't be surprised if your MacBook Air isn't in stock tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

I will, but they've always been real accurate with their information. It's definitely possible that when the shipment arrives tomorrow sometime during the day they'll put them out for sale even if only for the evening.

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 08:17 PM

You got that right! I'll be stalking my NC stores tomorrow hoping to get one. At least I can play with one and see if the ssd is what I really want - the $$$'s are making it hard to justify since I'll need superdrive, usb to firewire dongle and ethernet to usb dongle....

sosnow
Jan 31, 2008, 08:18 PM
I am hoping the Midwest (Chicago) stores got their shipment today because Mother nature is throwing a huge snow party right now and through most of tomorrow:eek:

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 08:24 PM
I am hoping the Midwest (Chicago) stores got their shipment today because Mother nature is throwing a huge snow party right now and through most of tomorrow:eek:

Biggest reason I'm in NC!!!

dennyg
Jan 31, 2008, 08:55 PM

Which Chicago stores are you using. I'm out in Crystal lake and wondering if I should try Deer Park or Woodfield.

sosnow
Jan 31, 2008, 09:07 PM
Which Chicago stores are you using. I'm out in Crystal lake and wondering if I should try Deer Park or Woodfield.

Deer Park was the only store that would say "anyday". Michigan Ave and Old Orchard were the usual pretending to be clueless.

I just wish Apple could do a better job with new launches! Although they did give a specific time for the iphone.

If I hear/see anything first thing tomorrow I will post it here.:)

growinglogic
Jan 31, 2008, 09:11 PM

Tell me about it... I have to snowblow tomorrow. :eek:

jman2003
Jan 31, 2008, 09:14 PM

Ya, i am up here in Wilmette, I have been calling the Apple Store at Old Orchard and on michigan ave. Old orchard says that they dont know, every time i call them. And a funny story about the apple store on michigan ave, so i was in there over the weekend and i ask one of the employees "Do you know when the MacBook Air will be in stock?" and he says "O, it is all a hoax, the MBA is evrywhere, it IS the air." obviosly he is just kidding. But after that he said within a week from today (last sunday)

sosnow
Jan 31, 2008, 09:32 PM
Ya, i am up here in Wilmette, I have been calling the Apple Store at Old Orchard and on michigan ave. Old orchard says that they dont know, every time i call them. And a funny story about the apple store on michigan ave, so i was in there over the weekend and i ask one of the employees "Do you know when the MacBook Air will be in stock?" and he says "O, it is all a hoax, the MBA is evrywhere, it IS the air." obviosly he is just kidding. But after that he said within a week from today (last sunday)

I made a couple of personal shopping appointments tomorrow. One at 9am Northbrook and another later in the day at Deerpark. My hope is to walk out of Northbroook at 9:15 with a MBA. I will make a post with any info I find.:)

dennyg
Jan 31, 2008, 09:34 PM
Deer Park was the only store that would say "anyday". Michigan Ave and Old Orchard were the usual pretending to be clueless.

I just wish Apple could do a better job with new launches! Although they did give a specific time for the iphone.

If I hear/see anything first thing tomorrow I will post it here.:)

Thanks! I hope to be able to get out there later in the morning. I think I'll try Deer park first as it is less busy, then try Woodfield if necessary. I want a 1.8/SSD and that might be asking too much this early.:D

ahaxton
Jan 31, 2008, 10:47 PM
Oh shoot!!!!! GUYS !!!!! I might be getting one of a few MBA's only at one of our Atlanta stores that came in tonight (stressed limited quantities for the shipment that just arrived tonight). I have had the best luck with Apple lately lol.

Flyer0815
Jan 31, 2008, 10:51 PM
Oh shoot!!!!! GUYS !!!!! I might be getting one of a few MBA's only at one of our Atlanta stores that came in tonight. I have had the best luck with Apple lately lol.

Good for you!! Did they mention if all stores got them in? How many did they get in Atlanta?

ahaxton
Jan 31, 2008, 10:53 PM
Good for you!! Did they mention if all stores got them in? How many did they get in Atlanta?

I got a hold of an after hours employee! crazy! He said fortunately they are the first to get them in Atlanta and just a handful to sell, so was talking about reserving me one!

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:11 PM
I got a hold of an after hours employee! crazy! He said fortunately they are the first to get them in Atlanta and just a handful to sell, so was talking about reserving me one!

I think I'd be there when they open. I could bet it's first come, first served. Good luck to you, hope you score one!

ahaxton
Jan 31, 2008, 11:16 PM
I think I'd be there when they open. I could bet it's first come, first served. Good luck to you, hope you score one!

You're probably right, don't want them giving away mine.

ahaxton
Feb 1, 2008, 08:19 AM
Well sucks,

Unfortunately after hours employee was probably giving me the real news, but assistant called and was told just a display unit was in. One thing to note, the rep had to go ask someone. I bet that was about protocol....

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 08:25 AM
Well sucks,

Unfortunately after hours employee was probably giving me the real news, but assistant called and was told just a display unit was in. One thing to note, the rep had to go ask someone. I bet that was about protocol....

I can guarantee you there are units available for sale but can't be. I'm not sure exactly what the magic day/hour/minute is before they get the okay from the mothership to sell. This is of course used to hype up pre-ordering for future products. On the down side, if the units received by pre-orders start to show some flaws it'll undoubtedly change some minds of buyers wanting to walk in and pick one up now before flaws are well know.

Oh, well - good luck. Maybe we'll be able to get one Monday.

matthewHUB
Feb 1, 2008, 08:26 AM
You got that right! I'll be stalking my NC stores tomorrow hoping to get one. At least I can play with one and see if the ssd is what I really want - the $$$'s are making it hard to justify since I'll need superdrive, usb to firewire dongle and ethernet to usb dongle....

no such thing

ahaxton
Feb 1, 2008, 08:27 AM
I can guarantee you there are units available for sale but can't be. I'm not sure exactly what the magic day/hour/minute is before they get the okay from the mothership to sell. This is of course used to hype up pre-ordering for future products. On the down side, if the units received by pre-orders start to show some flaws it'll undoubtedly change some minds of buyers wanting to walk in and pick one up now before flaws are well know.

Oh, well - good luck. Maybe we'll be able to get one Monday.

LOL even having my personal assistant call isn't persuading them. Darn. He's hitting a brick wall with everyone. Not even the centurion card is saving me. Darn Apple.

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 08:32 AM
no such thing

Correct - I meant modem.

jameskohn
Feb 1, 2008, 08:33 AM
Could just order online today, then cancel if they're available in stores in a better time frame.

ahaxton
Feb 1, 2008, 08:51 AM
They'll be in stores before any online shipment comes. I have an amazon order right now, but no signs of that one coming before next week who knows when.

Apple is not budging even for a centurion card. Looks like you have to be an out there Hollywood star to get your hands on one now. I'm going to go nuts.

bigbadnewill
Feb 1, 2008, 08:55 AM

Hence the reason why i want to live in USA...i'd kill for some of that real snow!!

Hope you all get MBA's in your store asap!

On a side note, the staff in sheffield meadowhall (UK) were really nice to me! And they did well from it, got a 24" alu imac, lol!

Manatee
Feb 1, 2008, 08:57 AM
Still hasn't appeared here in Northern Virginia.

russtic
Feb 1, 2008, 11:52 AM
On a side note, the staff in sheffield meadowhall (UK) were really nice to me! And they did well from it, got a 24" alu imac, lol!

Any suggestions of when air will be in?

eddietr
Feb 1, 2008, 02:37 PM
Still hasn't appeared here in Northern Virginia.

Right. Tysons has an SSD on display. Very sweet.

And one in the window. And they said two more coming out for display today.

But none for sale. :(

Clix Pix
Feb 1, 2008, 03:02 PM
Yep, I spoke with someone at the Tysons store and decided since they don't have them for sale yet it wasn't worth going out in the pouring rain! Have to go out tonight with friends, or I would go over now that the rain has apparently stopped. Maybe I can pop in there for a look tomorrow if the weather's better....

twoodcc
Feb 1, 2008, 03:07 PM
They'll be in stores before any online shipment comes. I have an amazon order right now, but no signs of that one coming before next week who knows when.

Apple is not budging even for a centurion card. Looks like you have to be an out there Hollywood star to get your hands on one now. I'm going to go nuts.

so which stores in Atlanta have you talked to?

voicegy
Feb 1, 2008, 03:31 PM
Friday the 1st - visited the Fashion Valley Store - no demos, none in, no indication when. :mad:

EDdoc
Feb 1, 2008, 04:04 PM
2 Demos both with the SSD drive (very fast), no MBA until the end of next week by an somewhat uninformed person working there.

ahaxton
Feb 1, 2008, 04:49 PM
so which stores in Atlanta have you talked to?

I have talked to all stores in Ga and visited 3 in person today. Talked to a handful of reps in each store offering my credit card for ssd version. Still no bite.

twoodcc
Feb 1, 2008, 11:52 PM
I have talked to all stores in Ga and visited 3 in person today. Talked to a handful of reps in each store offering my credit card for ssd version. Still no bite.

so do any have the Air on display?

atlbuc
Feb 2, 2008, 07:02 PM
I was at the Lenox Apple store at 10 am and waited till about 12 noon. They had an early shipment with 3 1.6/80 MBA's but I was waiting for the SSD but none came in when I was there. I Have my online order and will probably wait till that comes in unless they get a big shipment so that I don't have to camp out at the mall

ahaxton
Feb 2, 2008, 07:08 PM
I was at the Lenox Apple store at 10 am and waited till about 12 noon. They had an early shipment with 3 1.6/80 MBA's but I was waiting for the SSD but none came in when I was there. I Have my online order and will probably wait till that comes in unless they get a big shipment so that I don't have to camp out at the mall

That annoys me to no end. I had a Personal Shoppers appt for Lenox at 10am. Was told that it wasn't going to happen....... Now I probably would have denied it because of no SSD, but in the moment I probably would have taken it.

atlbuc
Feb 2, 2008, 07:14 PM
That annoys me to no end. I had a Personal Shoppers appt for Lenox at 10am. Was told that it wasn't going to happen....... Now I probably would have denied it because of no SSD, but in the moment I probably would have taken it.

I had a personal shopper appt. for 10 am as well but I did not mention what I wanted to buy when I made the appointment. When I got there I waited around till about 10:30 then went to grab a bite at the corner bakery and when I returned the apple rep I was talking said they just announced they had 3 standard models in which had already been bought. If it was a 1.8 I might have thought twice.

Squelch
Feb 2, 2008, 07:19 PM
Wish I lived near four different Apple stores... I used to live in ATL, but not anymore. No Apple store within a few hundred miles of me now.

But you know what? I ordered online a few days after MWSF, and it'll get here when it gets here. There's no sense in whining about it taking so long or anything.

People get so strung out waiting for this stuff. If you've got so much time and money to visit a bunch of different stores and have someone else do shopping for you, you should have pulled the trigger as Steve gave the keynote, then decided later if you really wanted it. :rolleyes:

Wahh.