PDA

View Full Version : Elgato EyeTV 250 PLUS. Can I use coax??

BaronvdB
Jan 31, 2008, 09:53 PM
Hey guys, i just purchased the new eyetv 250 plus with eyetv 3 software and I'm wondering if there is a way to hook this thing up to my 24" iMac with just a coax cable and not using a set top box at all. I guess i should have looked into this before I got it but it was an impulse buy and it looked like it could be done easily with the eyetv hybrid and since this is supposed to be "better" I figured it could do it also.

The room I have my iMac in does not have a cable box in it at the moment...it only has the cable feed coming out of the wall via coax cable...do I have to get a cable box in that room to be able to use this?

I used to just plug the coax into my tuner card on my old sony vaio desktop and that worked like a charm with windows media center, but now that i've switched to the iMac i'm not sure I can do the same thing with this product.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

puckhead193
Jan 31, 2008, 10:49 PM
yes you can just use it to go straight to co-axel. In my dorm it works... the cable line is split for the tv and the other to the eyetv. Works fine for me

jsw
Jan 31, 2008, 10:51 PM
Agreed. It works fine without a cable box - you just can't get the pay channels or the digital ones, although you can get Clear QAM ones if the company sends them down the line.