PDA

View Full Version : MacAddict SETI team + clans

mmmdreg
Apr 26, 2002, 09:20 PM
Is everyone around here that uses SETI@home part of the MacAddict team? Why don't we start a MacRumors SETI team...maybe even game clans etc..like MacAddict...We do seem to have a large enough community here..

cb911
Apr 27, 2002, 05:59 AM
well, i used to have seti@home on my PC but i had to format my hard drive and haven't put it back on yet. and i'm not part of the MacAddict team either. a game clan sounds good though. what games does everyone play? i love the Fallout series, and i'm currently playing Fallout Tactics. if theres any other Fallout fans out there, let me know and we'll set up a game!!

Falleron
Apr 27, 2002, 07:49 AM
Hi, we would need lots of people to make any impact. At the moment I am already in a team. My Dual Ghz G4 is pretty good for SETI!!

Geert
Apr 27, 2002, 07:59 AM
I agree on tightening the MR community in any way, like eg games.
But, sorry to say, I'm not such a gamer.
rather a poster.:p
btw think the cost for a game is wasted money, after a while you get tired of it, or finished it, and then you put it aside.

mmmdreg
Apr 27, 2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Geert
I agree on tightening the MR community in any way, like eg games.
But, sorry to say, I'm not such a gamer.
rather a poster.:p
btw think the cost for a game is wasted money, after a while you get tired of it, or finished it, and then you put it aside.

Good point..I haven't picked up a game for months and I'm still in high school...so how about a MR SETI team? we have thousands of members here, mostly with at least one mac, if more...if we all get SETI, we could have the beginnings of a fairly formidable team can't we? (Team MacAddict has 5877 members as of a few seconds ago..some inactive of course)

mmmdreg
Apr 27, 2002, 08:25 AM
After more checking, I've found that of the over 4000 members we have here, just over 2000 have posted at least once. Add a few lurkers and less a few who've dissapeared after there first post and you get around 2000 anyway...so my predictions for how good we could become was pretty optimistic...nevertheless, MR is always growing so we could give a SETI team a try anyhow...

Mr. Anderson
Apr 27, 2002, 08:55 AM
I was on the MacAddict team, I haven't been active in almost a year. I think I might have about 25 or so completed, not really that much. If you get it going, I'll put it on my 450 G4, it will be good for several a week.

mmmdreg
Apr 27, 2002, 09:04 AM
I've done 227 with MacAddict on my trusty iMac 600...but I don't think I can start a official MR SETI team..that would be up to Arn or Blakespot right?

Falleron
Apr 27, 2002, 09:12 AM
I have about 266 units completed. I do about 20 a week.

mmmdreg
Apr 27, 2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Falleron
I have about 266 units completed. I do about 20 a week.

That's super-fast!! it takes me like 15 hours to do one unit because I'm running folding@home at the same time most of the time (and I don't have a dual G4)...do you run the GUi version or the CLI? and if you use the CLI, is it noticably faster than the GUI version?

edit:
BTW, I just noticed that I've done my 100th post! yeah..now for the 500 mark.

Falleron
Apr 27, 2002, 09:24 AM
I use the CLI version of the client. It processes 2 units every 6 and a half hours or so on my Dual 1Ghz machine. I have not used the GUI version in OSX, but, in OS9, it takes between 7-11 hours to process 1 unit!!!

menoinjun
Apr 27, 2002, 11:01 AM
What do you say arn? I'm in for the SETI clan, and I would be interested in a Wolfenstein network game or two.

-Pete

Rower_CPU
Apr 27, 2002, 04:58 PM
How about you guys with lots of units logged come over here,
http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?postid=53131#post53131 and give us a break down on hours/unit on your Macs.

We're trying to establish a comparison of PCs vs Macs.

GeeYouEye
Apr 27, 2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
How about you guys with lots of units logged come over here,
http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?postid=53131#post53131 and give us a break down on hours/unit on your Macs.

We're trying to establish a comparison of PCs vs Macs.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/totals.html

Scroll down from the top, click on your fav. link.

Rower_CPU
Apr 27, 2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/totals.html

Scroll down from the top, click on your fav. link.

Fantastic! Thanks a lot!

Beej
Apr 27, 2002, 06:17 PM
This sounds cool. I used to do the whole SETI thing but I gave up, not sure why. But I'd be straight back into it if this thing started up. Lets see, what do I have to offer? I could get an 800 iMac, a 933 QuickSilver, a 366 iBook, a 400 Graphite, and maybe a few older Macs. I think I could do a bit :)

As for games, I'm not a huge game player, but I have been known to partake in the occasional game of UT ;)

...so, let's do it...

mmmdreg
Apr 28, 2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by ptrauber
What do you say arn? I'm in for the SETI clan, and I would be interested in a Wolfenstein network game or two.

-Pete

Is arn listening? I've barely seen him post outside the Article threads so maybe he hasn't been by yet...maybe an email would get his attention..

arn
Apr 28, 2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by mmmdreg

Is arn listening? I've barely seen him post outside the Article threads so maybe he hasn't been by yet...maybe an email would get his attention..

:) We can start a SETI group - though I have to say, we'd be way behind... but if interest is there... I'll get on it...

arn

Beej
Apr 28, 2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by arn

:) We can start a SETI group - though I have to say, we'd be way behind... but if interest is there... I'll get on it...

arn Do it! Do it! I'm pumped, I want to get alllll my machines running SETI!!!

OK, so I'm not that excited ;) But I think there's enough interest here to start a SETI group.

mmmdreg
Apr 29, 2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Beej
Do it! Do it! I'm pumped, I want to get alllll my machines running SETI!!!

OK, so I'm not that excited ;) But I think there's enough interest here to start a SETI group.
Yeah..Lets do it..
I'm in high school and have my own iMac 600 running 24/7 so that generates more than the average PC user who keeps his machine turned off all day...we have other macs around the house as well that could work for MR..

scott_meinzer
Apr 29, 2002, 12:40 AM
I am a 13 year old kid i have 2 macs only but if we get a seti team going ill keep em both running seti@home 24x7.

man it fells weird to be back at one post i quess that what happens when you forget your old pass and all that.

Cant wait for MR seti@home team

scott_meinzer
Apr 29, 2002, 01:26 AM
Arn: Here is the place to set up the team but you probly already have been here and done it but anyway

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/team_create.html

I also talked to my cus and I can get 4 more macs running it so that puts my number up to 6 boxes if MR does a team. (running 24x7 x 6 boxes thats about 100 units if not more a week, Pretty good for a start i can get more boxes 2)

Kool
/Scott Meinzer

TypeR389
Apr 29, 2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Fantastic! Thanks a lot!

Check this out, I think this is a much better comparision because it is broken down my CPU speed and type and core etc. I don't see any high end macs on the list though, so I think we should download the test set (that way every set is a known factor) I will post my times whenever I get back from the bank I am robbing to buy my new TiBook this afternoon! ;)

http://www.teamlambchop.com/bench/benchfile.htm

Beej
May 1, 2002, 07:32 AM
Is there a MR SETI clan yet? Is there going to be one?

Mr. Anderson
May 1, 2002, 08:43 AM
I'd be up for pumping out some work units, count me in. If we get this going, we're going to have to set up a separate forum just for MR Seti. Ooh, thats funny, don't know if I like it.

What will we call ourselves, anyway?

Falleron
May 1, 2002, 09:13 AM
An official team needs to be created by one of the administrators - arn maybe. Until that happens Macrumours seti is not happening. Its no good if someone who uses the forum starts a team!

HOWEVER, if people start processing units now that is a start! Then, when a team has been set up everyone can join.

menoinjun
May 1, 2002, 09:38 AM
What's going on ARN? I'm very interested in joining this clan as I already have some seti time logged. This is a great idea.

_pete

mmmdreg
May 1, 2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

What will we call ourselves, anyway?
Team MacRumors by any chance?

rainman::|:|
May 1, 2002, 04:36 PM
I've got a few hundred units processed, can i just join the team and keep them, or do i have to start over? i'd be glad to join the team, if and when it ever gets going... Arn, how 'bout it?

someone just tell me what to do ;) This ol' iMac doesn't work too fast, but ever bit helps, right?

pnw

Falleron
May 1, 2002, 04:38 PM
You will be able to keep your units. All the team does is add everybodies total units together. If you decide to leave the group then you take them with you. Nothing lost.

spuncan
May 1, 2002, 04:51 PM
I have two+ macs to offer only two are connected to the internet right now. (A G3 233 and a G4 450) I can add 3 older macs if they're wanted. I have a measly 86 units completed. As for the game clan I vote UT2K3 to be our game (once it comes out) if we do a game clan.

Beej
May 1, 2002, 08:58 PM
I've got 3 Macs going at it right now. ;)

20 units so far.

Anyone know how to just have the CLI version print out the % done? It prints oout a while lot of stuff I don't care about with -verbose. I just want it to say
0.25%
0.50%
0.75%
1.00%
etc...

Anyone?

Falleron
May 2, 2002, 03:25 AM
I have not seen anyone that has been able to get a continuous output of progress in the CLI (without using the verbose command - become teadeous typing this in everytime you want the progress). I use SETICNTL from versiontracker - it manages 1 or 2 clients (dual processor support) + gives you simple info like progress, time ++ also lets you buffer units.

Beej
May 3, 2002, 03:53 AM
Well, I've written a script that runs "./setiathome -verbose -nice N" and hides the Terminal at startup. I have a question about "nice" - it seems to differ from system to system.

In OS X, what value of "N" do I have to give "nice" if I want to give setiathome the lowest priority?

Falleron
May 5, 2002, 06:23 AM
Whats the progress on the seti team?? Its gone a bit quiet!

Beej
May 5, 2002, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Falleron
Whats the progress on the seti team?? Its gone a bit quiet! Arn said in the contributor's forum that it shouldn't be far away. Hold tight...

Falleron
May 5, 2002, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Beej
Arn said in the contributor's forum that it shouldn't be far away. Hold tight...

Cool

pc_convert?
May 5, 2002, 08:00 AM
I've got 150ish units to throw in, I get through about 20-25 a week.

pc_convert?
May 5, 2002, 08:07 AM
Macrumors is listed in the seti groups now but did arn set this up?

check here (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_139691.html)

pc_convert?
May 5, 2002, 10:47 AM
Okay the link I gave is the official macrumors team so let's get cracking, lots of work units to process.

BTW I currently have the most work units processed (throws gauntlet down), anyone for a bit of friendly seti competition? :D

P.S treble post!

mmmdreg
May 15, 2002, 06:13 AM
How come we only have 78 members still? We have to go on a recruiting spree, perhaps send an email to all members of MR and tell them to join...of course a few of us have superfast averages on the Dualghz's but to catch up, we need a few more bunches of members..

Mr. Anderson
May 15, 2002, 01:11 PM
How come we only have 78 members still? We have to go on a recruiting spree, perhaps send an email to all members of MR and tell them to join...of course a few of us have superfast averages on the Dualghz's but to catch up, we need a few more bunches of members..

Yes, this is pretty poor, we need to get more people. One of the problems is that the new forum hides the fact that we have a seti team. We need to talk to arn about putting an add on the home page, asking for people to join.

Our stats

Description: Mac and Apple enthusiasts
Web: www.macrumors.com
Members: 78
Results received: 24705
Total CPU time: 42.133 years
Founder: macrumors*

On the bottom of the Top 200 Groups:

200) SAIC Units:168736 264.275 years,

On the bottom of the Top 200 Clubs:

200) MCTet 87014 127.721 years

We've got a lot of catching up .....

mmmdreg
Apr 20, 2003, 09:52 AM
okay..seeing as this is the thread that started it all...I'm suggesting all of us go to distributed.net (http://distributed.net) and download the client. Like folding, it only runs on your idle time. It is also a CLI job only. The top mac team is XLR8 so join that. Even if you people do for some reason download this client not many have heard about, this mac team's top members have multiple xserves and stuff crunching away so we might as well join them and make the the best mac team by far...
oh..an added incentive...if you find "the key" then you win money. so get the rc5-72 client and disable OGR on it and it'll be fine.

MrMacMan
Apr 20, 2003, 10:11 AM
okay..seeing as this is the thread that started it all...I'm suggesting all of us go to distributed.net (http://distributed.net) and download the client. Like folding, it only runs on your idle time. It is also a CLI job only. The top mac team is XLR8 so join that. Even if you people do for some reason download this client not many have heard about, this mac team's top members have multiple xserves and stuff crunching away so we might as well join them and make the the best mac team by far...
oh..an added incentive...if you find "the key" then you win money. so get the rc5-72 client and disable OGR on it and it'll be fine.

You brought back a year dead thread for one post.

My idea, we already have a team, MacRumors Team Folding. I don't think we need to spread our resources any thiner. SETI is dying, folding is still a major player, not even close to dead. Starting another project would be very hard for people to make up their mind on.

GeeYouEye
Apr 20, 2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
You brought back a year dead thread for one post.

My idea, we already have a team, MacRumors Team Folding. I don't think we need to spread our resources any thiner. SETI is dying, folding is still a major player, not even close to dead. Starting another project would be very hard for people to make up their mind on.

SETI may be dying here, but no, folding is still very much smaller, and both are still on the upswing. SETI is not dying by any means. And whoever resurrected this thread........ :mad: :mad: not cool. Nobody likes resurrected threads. Just post a new one next time.

MrMacMan
Apr 20, 2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
SETI may be dying here, but no, folding is still very much smaller, and both are still on the upswing. SETI is not dying by any means. And whoever resurrected this thread........ :mad: :mad: not cool. Nobody likes resurrected threads. Just post a new one next time.

Well, I meant for here SETI aint doing too well here, but there are working and growing elsewhere.

Telling people that you want to start another DC project is good, but tapping resources that we already have here is not fair for the current projects. If you find some people that aren't on a DC project yet, fine, do it, but don't say that this is the only project, because its not.