PDA

View Full Version : Apple's dancing dudes on CNet

srobert
Oct 21, 2003, 03:51 PM
I've seen those two ads on Cnet. Don't you think they look a little... disturbing? Especially the purple one. :)

[ Admin Edit: Link to the Ads (http://www.chaosmint.com/macintosh/articles/apple-itunes-internet-ads.shtml) ]

Rower_CPU
Oct 21, 2003, 03:55 PM
Do you have some links that work?

[edit - Gotcha. Yeah, a little odd looking.]

Flowbee
Oct 21, 2003, 03:59 PM
The green one is the best. The purple one is just... wrong.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 21, 2003, 04:17 PM
Targeted advertising at its best!

Mac til death
Oct 21, 2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Flowbee
The green one is the best. The purple one is just... wrong.

there are two purple ones and they're both wrong...

The pink one is good

The yellow one is embarrassing... Whoever that guy is needs a swift kick in the rear.

srobert
Oct 21, 2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Mac til death
The yellow one is embarrassing... Whoever that guy is needs a swift kick in the rear.

Don't you dare mock the yellow dude! :)

Blaaze
Oct 21, 2003, 04:57 PM
looks kind of tacky in my opinion.
still pictures would've looked a bit more elegant. but weird jerky animation does catch the eye.

rainman::|:|
Oct 21, 2003, 05:05 PM
is the guy on the purple one doing a "z-snap"? They should have added a few more frames to these ;)

pnw

mvc
Oct 21, 2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Mac til death

Air guitar has its place - just not my place! :D

coopdog
Oct 21, 2003, 05:20 PM
I don't like them... And they are trying to convert people who are getting all their music for free to start paying Apple money for music. Most of the people probally don't like apple that much, knowing most PC users and why would they willingly start paying money for songs if they can just as easliy get all their music for free?

Once some laws are passed that restrict P2P clients or more lawsuits are made I don't see a big switch from non-paying music downloading to pay dowloading.

Xero
Oct 21, 2003, 05:23 PM
heh, yeah these are a bit freaky looking. idk personally the animation might catch my eye quicker than a still shot, but id probably be less likely to actually click the link once i noticed the animated one. :rolleyes: ...good thing i dont have to make that decision :D

coolfactor
Oct 21, 2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by coopdog
I don't like them... And they are trying to convert people who are getting all their music for free to start paying Apple money for music. Most of the people probally don't like apple that much, knowing most PC users and why would they willingly start paying money for songs if they can just as easliy get all their music for free?

Well, actually, if you've been paying attention to the reactions, they're quite healthy. Aside from some initial problems with installing iTunes.. there's alot of "I love iTunes!!!"

Needlesstosay, alot of PC users are actually starting to "notice" Apple for the first time, and they're impressed with what they see.

rainman::|:|
Oct 21, 2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by coopdog

Once some laws are passed that restrict P2P clients or more lawsuits are made I don't see a big switch from non-paying music downloading to pay dowloading.

so, what, you'd prefer they didn't advertise at all? there is a certain portion of file traders very scared of lawsuits, and whether that fear is justified or not (it's not), Apple can still take advantage of it. granted a lot of people won't switch to paying, but one day they might, and it's important to establish iTunes as the industry leader now, while the industry is still in it's formative stage.

this is apple's first serious banner campaign in years... very nice, imho.

pnw

Freg3000
Oct 21, 2003, 05:35 PM
Whatever happened to the blue background. It was one of the first 5 that appeared when this whole silhouette motif came out weeks ago. But it has been absent from all Apple advertising since then.

I liked blue. :(

Phil Of Mac
Oct 21, 2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
Whatever happened to the blue background. It was one of the first 5 that appeared when this whole silhouette motif came out weeks ago. But it has been absent from all Apple advertising since then.

I'm blue, da-boo-dee-da-boo-da....

alset
Oct 21, 2003, 05:42 PM
I am disappointed that they are animated. I expect that will turn off a lot of people.

Dan

supercres
Oct 21, 2003, 05:47 PM
iTMS is giving lots of Window$ users their first taste of sweet, sweet Apple candy -- if they don't have an iPod, that is...

dho
Oct 21, 2003, 05:56 PM
IMHO stills would have been much better

Good idea though

TheFish
Oct 21, 2003, 06:02 PM
they're not weired they're just bad

Xero
Oct 21, 2003, 06:04 PM

as far as i know, the only blue add was one that someone made out of an exhausting add, i think it was for a desktop background type image. i remember people talking about wanting a blue version of one of these adds when this campaign first started, so thats probably what you saw. :p

Freg3000
Oct 21, 2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Xero
as far as i know, the only blue add was one that someone made out of an exhausting add, i think it was for a desktop background type image. i remember people talking about wanting a blue version of one of these adds when this campaign first started, so thats probably what you saw. :p

Apple made it. It is definitely real. :(

Flowbee
Oct 21, 2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by alset
I am disappointed that they are animated. I expect that will turn off a lot of people.

Dan

Maybe they figured Windows users would respond better to the animated ads than mac users would. Notice the ad on the Apple homepage *isn't* animated. ;)

foniks2020
Oct 21, 2003, 06:32 PM
For those who say these are tacky... remember who they are targeted at... teenagers and twenty-somethings who are downloading KAZAA!

Anyone who uses KAZAA is tacky by association and can almost be gauranteed to be a Britney or Boy Band fan. These are perfect for that audience.. the ADHD generation. Jerky bright colored ads are what these kids grew up on, they may not understand anything else.

fluidinclusion
Oct 21, 2003, 06:38 PM
I like the purple one just as much as the others. Come on - they're not that bad. I think they're just fine.

Dippo
Oct 21, 2003, 07:07 PM
I kinda wonder how effective these ads will be. I am one to believe that those who download music off Kazaa wouldn't buy it if they could get it for free.

I for one wouldn't buy a lot of music because I couldn't afford it, maybe that is the same for people that use Kazaa.

Of course downloading music off Kazaa has become a pain with lots of fakes uploaded by the RIAA. Maybe people will turn to iTunes out of frustration.

arn
Oct 21, 2003, 07:41 PM
I don't see how anyone can see this as a bad thing.

First, It's a minor advertising campaign in terms of the big picture. Probably not really significant at all in terms of advertising budget. Apple also ran a .mac campaign (and is still running it ) - not a big deal.

The animation ties in with the TV ads that people may have seen. No big deal.

The interesting part of it all is that Apple is actively seeking the PC filesharing crowd -- which is a very targeted audience to go after. These are people actively seeking online music.

Kazaa's been downloaded 2.2 million times this past week. Total, it's been downloaded 286 million times.

This is smart advertising. (imo)

arn

Freg3000
Oct 21, 2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by arn

Kazaa's been downloaded 2.2 million times this past week. Total, it's been downloaded 286 billion times.

This is smart advertising. (imo)

arn

Kazaa Media Desktop 2.5.2

19%_
216_votes

Read review
Download_now

A lot. But not quite a quarter trillion.

Regardless, it is still good advertising. Even without the blue girl. :D

arn
Oct 21, 2003, 07:58 PM

A lot. But not quite a quarter trillion.

er.... oops. fixed it.

arn

MrMacMan
Oct 21, 2003, 08:18 PM
Weird...

I see people taking about 2 Purple ad's... and one Blue one...

Yet when I bring up Chaosmint I only see 1 Purple ad

This one:
http://www.chaosmint.com/macintosh/moxiepix/b3_62.gif

:confused:

Phil Of Mac
Oct 21, 2003, 08:27 PM
Watching iPod-wielding silhouettes jerking around isn't my idea of fun.

Gabriel
Oct 21, 2003, 08:51 PM
This is somewhat unrelated but check this out [URL=http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3for some hillarious PC-user reaction to iTunes[/URL]

panthman
Oct 21, 2003, 10:34 PM
I think it's a great way to get iTunes into the hands of the PC users, even if they're not buying music now! It is getting closer to the time when most poeple are going to be afraid to illegally P2P and if they're using iTunes as their all-in-one music app (playing, burning, ripping, syncing w/iPod) then what other service are they going to (finally) turn to for the legal downloads! Get them to at least organize and play their illegal downloads with iTunes, then slowly ween then onto the legal way. Targeting these customers is great as they are probably looking at iTunes as companion app, not a replacement. iPod sales may ensue even if iTMS sales don't.

My 2 cents :)

sethypoo
Oct 22, 2003, 02:25 AM
I'd like them better if they just held still, they're striking enough as it is. Still, the .gif-ness of them will catch even the lazy windows users' eye.

Bengt77
Oct 22, 2003, 05:50 AM
Regardless, it is still good advertising. Even without the blue girl. :D

Now, I can just smell that you are on to something... :D

But yeah, the blue chick is HOT! (Even though it's just her silhouette...) :cool:

BOOMBA
Oct 22, 2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by coolfactor
Well, actually, if you've been paying attention to the reactions, they're quite healthy. Aside from some initial problems with installing iTunes.. there's alot of "I love iTunes!!!"

Needlesstosay, alot of PC users are actually starting to "notice" Apple for the first time, and they're impressed with what they see.

happy birthday, coolfactor!
YOU RULE!

I know it is a day early but I can't wait!

you are SOOOOOO cool!

aphexist
Oct 22, 2003, 05:37 PM
You wangstas are all just jealous cuz you know that you would get your booty danced up by some animated silhouettes.