PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the MBA conspiracy...

aep42686
Feb 2, 2008, 05:21 PM
I think that the reason that they are not selling them is because they have major glitches or something that is really wrong with them, and they dont wanna release them to the public...... Any thoughts because it seems that it could be the case.

juanster
Feb 2, 2008, 05:23 PM
what??? doubt it, they ll reach almost every store in two weeks from now i think

psychofreak
Feb 2, 2008, 05:24 PM
Some people have MBAs. There is no conspiracy.

aep42686
Feb 2, 2008, 05:26 PM
what??? doubt it, they ll reach almost every store in two weeks from now i think

true, but what about things like the xbox glitches, it still is a somewhat new thing for apple. The intel chip has not been used before...... maybe it will blow up...... i dont know...

ahaxton
Feb 2, 2008, 05:31 PM
I think that the reason that they are not selling them is because they have major glitches or something that is really wrong with them, and they dont wanna release them to the public...... Any thoughts because it seems that it could be the case.

I just think the launch wasn't well planned and thought out.

zapp
Feb 2, 2008, 05:37 PM

This launch wasn't bad, they shipped in two weeks like was promised. The first macbook pro was a terrible launch, and it was delayed several times (long enough to get a processor bump).

elppa
Feb 2, 2008, 05:39 PM
I suspect the launch was very well thought out to gain the maximum amount of attention, hype and discussion.

This is Apple in 2008, not 1995.

shimmer11
Feb 2, 2008, 05:40 PM

Wow! that was the exact same thing my wife just mentioned. It could very well be a complete line shut down and they don't want to admit it.

Ha!

ahaxton
Feb 2, 2008, 05:40 PM
This launch wasn't bad, they shipped in two weeks like was promised. The first macbook pro was a terrible launch, and it was delayed several times (long enough to get a processor bump).

If a horribly small amount shipped in two weeks means as promised then I guess so.
Well would be more professional to have a distribution center stateside for pre-orders and retail. A nice simple timeline. Not this whole pre-order here pre-order there, some demo units, some nothing, some sold, some nothing, untrained staff.

I don't even want to count how many useless hours I have spent dealing with the stores in person or on phone this week. A million and one different answers, recommendations that just made more hassle.

MacRumorUser
Feb 2, 2008, 05:42 PM

bless....

I'm stuck for what else to say, other than bless.

* at least he hasn't realised that aliens are controlling apple * :rolleyes::p;)

instant hit
Feb 2, 2008, 05:47 PM
i don't think it's a conspiracy at all. the inclement weather in shanghai has had an impact on its infrastructure. barring regional problems such as weather out of apple's control, i think shipments would be pouring out of that country as opposed to trickling out.

of course, we won't know definitively until there's an official explanation.

sushi
Feb 2, 2008, 05:48 PM
true, but what about things like the xbox glitches, it still is a somewhat new thing for apple. The intel chip has not been used before...... maybe it will blow up...... i dont know...
Please do a bit of research before making comments like this.

Apple has release a few Mac models with Intel chips already. None have blown up.

Anon2008
Feb 2, 2008, 05:50 PM

Give me a break. I got one on Thursday and my wife has been using it non-stop for three days now. I love it.

aep42686
Feb 2, 2008, 05:50 PM
Please do a bit of research before making comments like this.

Apple has release a few Mac models with Intel chips already. None have blown up.

the NEW intel chip that is only in the mba.... and some macs have blown up to some extent.

queuecipher
Feb 2, 2008, 05:51 PM

If they have major glitches that they knew about, I doubt any of them would've been sent out. Or put on display at Apple stores. If it weren't ready it would be held back---Apple TV take 2?

instant hit
Feb 2, 2008, 05:52 PM
but to play devil's advocate, perhaps apple is putting a spin on the meaning behind "camping." think about it; instead of having people line up in the cold for days on in (and on that note, how uncivilized for apple's image), why not create store traffic by having the same group of people "camp" inside the store. how sophisticated. :rolleyes:

EDIT
consider the wii: rarely anyone hung around gamestops and targets before until the wii came to those same stores "in limited quantities." and when they did, people "camped" in store during that store's delivery windows for a chance at scoring a wii.

aep42686
Feb 2, 2008, 06:04 PM
Give me a break. I got one on Thursday and my wife has been using it non-stop for three days now. I love it.

i think it is AWSOME too, but you never know......... just a thought.... the others are right its prob for the attention because they didn't know how they were gonna sell so they got people to look at them who wouldn't have if there weren't the commotion

Anderson3133
Feb 2, 2008, 06:06 PM

I think they just dont want a whole lot of pre-orders pissing and moaning if they have them in retail stores before their loyal customers hands. It seems like common sense to me, look at how many people pre-ordered and would just be fuming if they could buy it in stores before they personally had one. And the whole weather thing is just making the situation much worse. Seems simple to me :rolleyes:

NC MacGuy
Feb 2, 2008, 06:08 PM
I think they just dont want a whole lot of pre-orders pissing and moaning if they have them in retail stores before their loyal customers hands. It seems like common sense to me, look at how many people pre-ordered and would just be fuming if they could buy it in stores before they personally had one. And the whole weather thing is just making the situation much worse. Seems simple to me :rolleyes:

My thoughts too...

richard371
Feb 2, 2008, 06:12 PM
Apple had to hold back to plant all the government tracking devices in them.

aep42686
Feb 2, 2008, 06:14 PM
Apple had to hold back to plant all the government tracking devices in them.

nice......

ahaxton
Feb 2, 2008, 06:19 PM

I think maybe pushing it to a Friday launch (Yesterday) might have been planned so some pre-orders would have them in hand. It's so screwed up that I don't think any of this nonsense is planned.

Deanster
Feb 2, 2008, 06:34 PM
Ummmm... two and a half weeks ago, they were on track for a major launch.

In between, there has been worst-in-a-century weather in the areas where these are produced, almost certainly affecting supply chain, labor, logistics, etc. In many areas of China now, there's just flat no electricity, and hasn't been any for over a week.

This is a beautiful example, IMHO, of a product launch totally blown out of the water by a Just-In-Time delivery plan failing horribly because of the snowstorms.

It's nobody's fault - the only way to prevent that sort of thing is to pad the schedule by a couple weeks, and then if things go well, you've got hot product sitting in warehouses, just waiting for the calendar to change, which is everyone's nightmare.

The only thing Apple has done wrong in this case is take advantage of the fact that they never announced a hard launch date. IMHO, they're hoping that by doing the 'demo, minimum product availability, stock soon' thing, they can avoid the publicity around the complete flop their big launch plan has become.

But really - nobody working in time-sensitive product shipped from China is sleeping much this week.

ahaxton
Feb 2, 2008, 06:37 PM
And for how many days are factories closed because of the holiday?

When the weather lets up and things normalize is everything going to be then closed as well for the holiday time?

Mr. Mustard
Feb 2, 2008, 06:38 PM
they're all against us. be very worried people, they know where you live. or at least they have your shipping address.

Anderson3133
Feb 2, 2008, 06:43 PM
I think maybe pushing it to a Friday launch (Yesterday) might have been planned so some pre-orders would have them in hand. It's so screwed up that I don't think any of this nonsense is planned.

I honestly know where your coming from, but Apple is not that type of company. They always try to make it a strict deadline. I truly believe they wanted it to be Friday, but with flight cancellations, and not making enough macbook airs (they underestimated the sales).

juanster
Feb 2, 2008, 06:43 PM

i think so too, do you even remember the amount of moaners and whiners that were just on this site when iPhones got to stores before the pre-orders did? i dreaded just signing in to MR...just because some people believed (and still believe pre-ordering means that they get it before everyone else, even though in my opinion pre-order means you are guaranteed to get one, but whatever everyone is entitled to their opinions.)

Anderson3133
Feb 2, 2008, 07:07 PM
i think so too, do you even remember the amount of moaners and whiners that were just on this site when iPhones got to stores before the pre-orders did? i dreaded just signing in to MR...just because some people believed (and still believe pre-ordering means that they get it before everyone else, even though in my opinion pre-order means you are guaranteed to get one, but whatever everyone is entitled to their opinions.)

Exactly :)

:apple:

Hawkeye411
Feb 2, 2008, 07:08 PM
Man .... this is some funny sheeeeeet!! .. lmao

Flyer0815
Feb 2, 2008, 07:17 PM

The iPhone never was on Pre-order. It went on sale at 6PM online at the same time as the retail stores. The shipping time frame on the iPhone was a few weeks, so many individuals chose to simply pick up in store, rather than wait for the 2 week (or so) ship time.

navanod
Feb 2, 2008, 07:23 PM

Apple never did pre-orders for the iPhone. They sold it online at 6PM just as the store. Just because it's on the website doesn't mean you should get it first.

rsbell
Feb 2, 2008, 07:35 PM
Alright. I could understand shipping delays because of weather, holiday, whatever.

What I can't understand is a horribly misinformed/lying sales force.

How hard would it be to tell the reps exactly what has happened, and when they are expected to be in-store in sufficient quantities?

Enough with stupid games and give us, the loyal apple fan base, a straight answer!

:mad:

MacsAttack
Feb 3, 2008, 03:28 AM
Apple does two kind of product launches...

Shipping Today (says Steve). The product is more or less ready to go, and most of the delay will be the result of massive orders... Example - My MacBook was a "shipping today" but still took two weeks to crawl all the way to me (thanks to the truly god-awful shipping Apple uses to the UK, and because the refresh generated lots of orders). The First Gen Nano took a week to reach me - again more a shipping thing and demand.

Shipping in N Weeks (says Steve). This should set of warning bells. Apple have just announced a new product, but are not yet ready to ship. The experienced will know never-ever-ever buy into an Apple product that is not yet shipping. Often they get it out the door around the time that was mentioned to somebody, but not everyone is going to get their new toys on that exact date. in fact virtually nobody will. No conspiracy with the MBA. It is no worse (and in fact is a lot better - some people are receiving their orders) than any other "Coming Soon!"

Thankfully I now have a local Apple Store. I'll just deal with them in future and avoid the grief that direct ordering (and the waiting for shipping and delivery) brings ;)

The iPhone was an atypical product launch as it had a very long run-in and people knew it was coming for months. Apple were able to build up a stock to satisfy projected demand (we will probably never know how accurate they were), and so a lot of people did get it on the launch date. In contrast consider the Touch launch. It was a "Shipping in N Weeks" gig - and it took several weeks after launch before supply had settled down - like most other Apple launches for that matter...

cowpaintings
Feb 3, 2008, 05:16 AM
Excellent synopsis. Add snow in shanghai-which has been reported over and over, and has been verified to be the culprit when weather reports are aligned with fedex tracking reports-and the conspiracy quickly evaporates.

I am, however, disheartened by the lack of communication in apple retail stores.

A few other posters should write for the X-files rather than macrumors.

Apple does two kind of product launches...

Shipping Today (says Steve). The product is more or less ready to go, and most of the delay will be the result of massive orders... Example - My MacBook was a "shipping today" but still took two weeks to crawl all the way to me (thanks to the truly god-awful shipping Apple uses to the UK, and because the refresh generated lots of orders). The First Gen Nano took a week to reach me - again more a shipping thing and demand.

Shipping in N Weeks (says Steve). This should set of warning bells. Apple have just announced a new product, but are not yet ready to ship. The experienced will know never-ever-ever buy into an Apple product that is not yet shipping. Often they get it out the door around the time that was mentioned to somebody, but not everyone is going to get their new toys on that exact date. in fact virtually nobody will. No conspiracy with the MBA. It is no worse (and in fact is a lot better - some people are receiving their orders) than any other "Coming Soon!"

Thankfully I now have a local Apple Store. I'll just deal with them in future and avoid the grief that direct ordering (and the waiting for shipping and delivery) brings ;)

The iPhone was an atypical product launch as it had a very long run-in and people knew it was coming for months. Apple were able to build up a stock to satisfy projected demand (we will probably never know how accurate they were), and so a lot of people did get it on the launch date. In contrast consider the Touch launch. It was a "Shipping in N Weeks" gig - and it took several weeks after launch before supply had settled down - like most other Apple launches for that matter...

OllyW
Feb 3, 2008, 05:29 AM
the NEW intel chip that is only in the mba.... and some macs have blown up to some extent.

It's terrible, you are sitting outside a cafe and decide to check your email. Next thing you know you are being labelled as a suicide bomber.

I hate it when that happens.....

juanster
Feb 3, 2008, 09:00 AM
The iPhone never was on Pre-order. It went on sale at 6PM online at the same time as the retail stores. The shipping time frame on the iPhone was a few weeks, so many individuals chose to simply pick up in store, rather than wait for the 2 week (or so) ship time.

you are right,it was for the iPod touch that this happened. Now i rememeber, people were pissed off because some best buys had them before anyone got their pre-orders shipped...

sushi
Feb 3, 2008, 09:32 AM
the NEW intel chip that is only in the mba....
Not a new chip, just repackaged.

On a side note, in all the years I have been around computers, I have never seen a CPU cause a fire. I have seem them burn up inside, but not cause a fire.

and some macs have blown up to some extent.
AFAIK, only issues were due to bad batteries. Apple along with Dell, HP, and Sony who used the same batteries, which I believe were made by Sony. That's been fixed.

southcounty949
Feb 3, 2008, 11:33 AM
i don't think it's a conspiracy at all. the inclement weather in shanghai has had an impact on its infrastructure. barring regional problems such as weather out of apple's control, i think shipments would be pouring out of that country as opposed to trickling out.

of course, we won't know definitively until there's an official explanation.

Hey guys, I work in the electronics industry, working directly with LCD factories in China. At the end of this week, I found out a lot of my shipments were being held "Due to snow." I'm not sure if you guys know, but there is a industry-wide "glass" allocation shortage for LCD screens. This hit our company pretty bad extending our lead times. So this may totally be out of Apple's control.

Killyp
Feb 3, 2008, 11:38 AM

Most computer models have blown up at some point, in fact most electronic products on the market have blown up from time to time.

Intel releases new chips all the time, I don't see why this one should be so different.

There is no conspiracy. Maybe Apple are delaying the release a little, but most companies will tend to announce products a little before they're really ready for release...

JNB
Feb 3, 2008, 11:42 AM
What I can't understand is a horribly misinformed/lying sales force.

Is there any other kind? :rolleyes:

Trust me, they're not misinformed (by Apple) or lying (not intentionally, anyway), they're doing the same things folks on this forum do: pass along unsubstantiated rumors, and yes, that's wrong for them to do. Most of the salespeople do the only thing they're allowed to do, say "I don't know."

Honestly, though, would you expect the kid flipping burgers at McD's to know why they aren't making some new sandwich on the day promised ("I heard the truck got hijacked, but someone else sez it's because the meat's all poisoned")? Welcome to retail...

rsbell
Feb 3, 2008, 01:50 PM
Is there any other kind? :rolleyes:

Honestly, though, would you expect the kid flipping burgers at McD's to know why they aren't making some new sandwich on the day promised ("I heard the truck got hijacked, but someone else sez it's because the meat's all poisoned")? Welcome to retail...

I expect the kid flipping burgers to tell me if they are out of burgers, and when they will be getting more.

And then I expect the kid frying french fries to tell me the same thing.

And then I don't expect to see someone walking out with a Happy Meal after I was told they don't have any.

blairwillis
Feb 3, 2008, 04:34 PM
Is this theoretically conspiratorial exploding MacBook Air intentionally designed to explode, or is this theory just hot Air?
:cool:

chrislee
Feb 4, 2008, 04:52 AM
If a horribly small amount shipped in two weeks means as promised then I guess so.
Well would be more professional to have a distribution center stateside for pre-orders and retail. A nice simple timeline. Not this whole pre-order here pre-order there, some demo units, some nothing, some sold, some nothing, untrained staff.

I don't even want to count how many useless hours I have spent dealing with the stores in person or on phone this week. A million and one different answers, recommendations that just made more hassle.

same experience here... its damn frustrating. why demo a laptop you have NONE in stock to sell? what a cocktease. hope this week they do get some or i may just give up.