PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air colour calibration profiles thread

kabunaru
Feb 2, 2008, 10:49 PM
Please use this thread to post your MacBook Air colour calibration profiles. I am sure a lot of people would like to try some profiles on their MacBook Airs'.:)

TV Cameraman
Feb 3, 2008, 06:54 AM
One of the hardest calibrations I have done. I think it's because of the glossy screen, which varies greatly as you move your head up and down.

Don't know how to post results unless I re-run the calibration.

Cybergypsy
Feb 3, 2008, 08:23 AM
One of the hardest calibrations I have done. I think it's because of the glossy screen, which varies greatly as you move your head up and down.

Post the file

whenders0n
Feb 3, 2008, 12:06 PM
Post the file

(please)

kabunaru
Feb 3, 2008, 12:20 PM

To upload the profile, choose Manage Attachments (little further down from Submit Reply), press Choose File and then press Upload.:)

aiongiant
Feb 3, 2008, 01:04 PM
Post the file

please and thank you =)

TV Cameraman
Feb 3, 2008, 05:42 PM
What I meant was, I don't know how to get the calibration results to show up unless I re-run the calibration. Is there any way to see my color calibration file? Where is it in Leopard?

kabunaru
Feb 3, 2008, 05:46 PM
What I meant was, I don't know how to get the calibration results to show up unless I re-run the calibration. Is there any way to see my color calibration file? Where is it in Leopard?

Try going to Macintosh HD/Library/ColorSync/Profiles and see what's in there.

MacRumorUser
Feb 3, 2008, 05:58 PM
For perfect screen calibration download supercal

http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/

I use it on all my macs.

Cybergypsy
Feb 3, 2008, 07:35 PM
Please ,thank you, be nice to me I am in shipping H3LL...........

TV Cameraman
Feb 4, 2008, 11:47 AM
Sorry, guys. I looked in Macintosh HD/Library/ColorSync/Profiles and saw my file in there, but when I opened it in TextEdit it was just jibberish. I need more guidance. BTW, why is this information so important to you?

cls
Feb 4, 2008, 11:52 AM
Hi guys,

Getting a decent color profile requires using specialized hardware, such as the gretagmacbeth eyeOne display or Spyder 2. Typically laptops don't provide very good screens, at least not for professional use.

I have an i1 display, and will happily post a calibrated profile when I get my Air, hopefully before the 15th...

If anyone can provide a hardware calibrated display profile, as well as some information on how good the display is (deltas), I would love to read it!

Greetings from Finland!

Casper.

TV Cameraman
Feb 4, 2008, 11:59 AM
I did my calibration by eye, and hence it obviously is subject to my personal preferences. I did notice that I had to adjust the gamma to its max level because the MBA seems to have hard time producing good blacks at the standard settings.

tofupancake
Feb 4, 2008, 02:10 PM
Hi guys,

Getting a decent color profile requires using specialized hardware, such as the gretagmacbeth eyeOne display or Spyder 2. Typically laptops don't provide very good screens, at least not for professional use.

I have an i1 display, and will happily post a calibrated profile when I get my Air, hopefully before the 15th...

If anyone can provide a hardware calibrated display profile, as well as some information on how good the display is (deltas), I would love to read it!

Greetings from Finland!

Casper.

I'll post a ColorEyes Display Pro & xRite DTP-94 generated profile once I receive the MBA, but its a few weeks away.

teerexx52
Feb 4, 2008, 02:34 PM
Post the file

I have all the profiles from my led macbook pro. Would they work?

kabunaru
Feb 4, 2008, 03:45 PM
I have all the profiles from my led macbook pro. Would they work?

Since both (MacBook Pro and MacBook Air) have a LED display, it would be a worth a try.

teerexx52
Feb 4, 2008, 03:58 PM
Since both (MacBook Pro and MacBook Air) have a LED display, it would be a worth a try.

Ok I tried it and it seemed to work fine

christof
Feb 14, 2008, 01:33 AM
Has anyone professionally calibrated the MBA yet?

tofupancake
Feb 14, 2008, 11:31 AM
Has anyone professionally calibrated the MBA yet?

I was all set to do mine (ColorEyes Pro and XRITE DTP-94, which work great on the MacPro & ACD), only to discover the USB cable profile means it won't plug in to the MBA. I'll have to find a slimline usb-hub before attempting calibration.

PDE
Feb 15, 2008, 07:24 AM
Looking forward to seeing what people come up with....

alpinadvl
Feb 15, 2008, 07:36 AM
I am interested this as well.

I did go thru some calibration already because my air screen had a yellow tinge to it (when compared to an LED macbook pro).

Not sure if others had the same subjective feeling as I did.

-alf

tofupancake
Feb 16, 2008, 07:12 AM
I finally got around to doing the hardware calibration, I've tried to attach the file here (first time attacher alert).
1. Unzip the attachment to Library/ColorSync/Profiles
2. Select the new profile '20080216' in System Preferences > Displays > Color
It is safe to do this, you won't overwrite anything and can easily go back to system default with a click of the button at any time. It's also easy to compare the effect while you have a photo onscreen. It's best to do this inside photoshop, which is much more color profile aware than say a web browser. We're not talking about making nice web pics here, but accurate rendition for repro.

Profile made with ColorEyes Display Pro (http://www.integrated-color.com/cedpro/coloreyesdisplay.html) and xrite dtp 24 colorimeter. It's good software with a demo available, I'd recommend it if color accuracy is important to you. At $300+ including hardware it isn't cheap but has saved me a lot of time in not having to mess with reprints. (I'm not affiliated in any way, I'm just a customer). Profile made with screen at maximum brightness. I may try again at 12/16 brightness. Profiled at D65 white point and L* colorspace (Lab based but software proprietary). I have to try profiling under various light sources and environments and then choose appropriately.

Personally, I find the difference excellent. Much better contrast. The washed out yellows gone, and more vibrant blues and reds. It better matches my 23" ACD which matches my prints (I'm a photographer). Interestingly, for B&W the difference is even more pronounced. The default profile was squelching blacks and pushing whites, there is a much more gradual range now, with details coming back from my blacks and highlights.

note: each and every manufactured display is slightly different, and changes over time. The only real way to accurately profile your display is to do it yourself, and do it regularly.

I'd be interested in any feedback others have.

tofupancake
Feb 16, 2008, 07:43 AM
... as well as some information on how good the display is (deltas), I would love to read it!

My profile reported
Maximum DeltaE: 0.61
Average DeltaE: 0.33
which, if true, is pretty crazy for a notebook. I saw on macrumors someone with a recent MBP17 got 0.40.

kanon14
Feb 16, 2008, 10:50 AM
tofupancake, I'm now using your color prolife and it looks way better than the default one. The contrast is much better. Thanks!

instant hit
Feb 16, 2008, 11:07 AM
tofupancake, i think you hit it on the money! i was satisfied with the out-of-box settings, but this really makes it much easier on the eyes. i'm no longer blinded at max brightness while trying to read text on a white background -- basically the difference is night and day. overall, there is more definition than before.

thanks again!

wacso
Feb 16, 2008, 11:20 AM
thanks!....that's much better on my screen as well. very cool!

alpinadvl
Feb 16, 2008, 11:47 AM
tofu,

thanks for posting your calibration file. for some reason it looks a bit dark on my screen. I did a calibration myself (using the calibrate option in sys preferences) - and would appreciate your comments on it (and please - others, I would appreciate your comments as well)

the standard screen to me has a bit of a yellow tinge to it, and maybe i prefer a more artificial white than others - but that may be just a preference I have developed.

So, please comment on the file below (how does it look on your screen especially compared to "Stock" and to Tofu's profile)

TIA.

I just am curious for my own edification.

-alf

tofupancake
Feb 16, 2008, 01:31 PM
I did a calibration myself (using the calibrate option in sys preferences) - and would appreciate your comments on it (and please - others, I would appreciate your comments as well)

To me, your profile looks better than the standard issued, but it has magenta casting. This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If what you're after is a pleasant working environment, nearly everyone will enjoy some profile on the scale from 'warm' to 'cool', yours appears relatively warm. Kind of strange, but we each have different sensitivities to reds, yellows, greens, etc, that others may not notice (some people swears greens are blues, and vice versa) and one persons neutral is another's 'too blue'.

If what you're after is the ability to take a photo, process it, and print it, you'll need to profile the camera, display, and printer. Thankfully OS X makes it easy to switch between profiles when we are browsing the web, editing pics, or other. I'd say use what you are comfortable with, and be careful with photos for print.

aiongiant
Feb 16, 2008, 05:11 PM
tofupancake i tried your calibration also and works great!

thanks for the effort!

christof
Feb 16, 2008, 06:08 PM
tofupancake i tried your calibration also and works great!

thanks for the effort!
I second that. Great job!

CTYankee
Feb 16, 2008, 06:16 PM
1. Sharing profiles made using these hardware calibration devices is against the EULA (for all but the $$$ ones that are for commercial use), and not much different than sharing software.

2. Sharing profiles is not that accurate as each display is different.

kabunaru
Feb 16, 2008, 08:58 PM
1. Sharing profiles made using these hardware calibration devices is against the EULA (for all but the $$$ ones that are for commercial use), and not much different than sharing software.

2. Sharing profiles is not that accurate as each display is different.

I never get these ignorant comments made by people. :rolleyes:
If you don't like this thread, why post here? For some people, a custom profile that was made would be way better than the Color LCD one.

tofupancake
Feb 17, 2008, 04:27 AM

That's a fairly heavy charge and one not to be made without evidence. I just read through the EULA, every word of it, and I can tell you it was an enjoyable Sunday morning activity. The only restrictions made under EULA to the distribution of a profile are 1. If the profile will be bundled and resold, 2. If the profile will be directly sold (ie I can not charge), 3. If the supply of the profile will directly benefit a business (eg, providing it for free to a local newspaper photo touching room). I'm not doing any of those and therefore believe it's OK to publish the profile. The only restriction is number 3, people who use this may not use it for commercial gain. If you can point me to where in the EULA it says I can not upload this, I'd happily take it down.

duffyanneal
Feb 17, 2008, 06:08 AM
If you can point me to where in the EULA it says I can not upload this, I'd happily take it down.

I for one thank you for taking the time to profile your display then sharing it with us.

PDE
Feb 17, 2008, 06:09 AM
I for one thank you for taking the time to profile your display then sharing it with us.

And so do I! Thanks!

Nuks
Feb 17, 2008, 11:49 AM
Even though I have a macbook, I just tried it out. Pretty much the same as the one I normally use, but with a bit more contrast. I think I'll keep it as it seems to show about the same colours as Staples does when you print by them. I got a portfolio printed the other day, and everything came out a hint darker than I would have liked.

For some reason, every time I calibrate using something like Supercal, it comes out much bluer than I want... this one is perfect.

Thanks!

instant hit
Feb 17, 2008, 12:11 PM
I did a calibration myself (using the calibrate option in sys preferences) - and would appreciate your comments on it (and please - others, I would appreciate your comments as well)

i tried your profile yesterday; at first i thought the calibration was off -- a little bit on the cool side (tofu's is warm imo). however, my opinion changed last night when i got home and ran it against my avia-calibrated displays connected to my mac pro.

both display profiles are fantastic but for now i'll run your profile for a while :cool:

i don't know if this will display properly, but i've posted screencaps of the two profiles for scrutinization.

alpinadvl
Feb 17, 2008, 07:14 PM
i tried your profile yesterday; at first i thought the calibration was off -- a little bit on the cool side (tofu's is warm imo). however, my opinion changed last night when i got home and ran it against my avia-calibrated displays connected to my mac pro.

both display profiles are fantastic but for now i'll run your profile for a while :cool:

i don't know if this will display properly, but i've posted screencaps of the two profiles for scrutinization.

I go between both of them also. From your screen caps - it seems that Tofu's shows a bit more detail especially in the mountains, and the wood posts. Could you also take a snapshot of your "Standard" setting from apple ?

-alf

ps: thanks Tofu for the comments.

cohibadad
Feb 17, 2008, 07:44 PM

This profile is excellent IMO

kabunaru
Feb 17, 2008, 10:34 PM
What gamma does Tofu's profile have?

tofupancake
Feb 18, 2008, 02:45 AM
What gamma does Tofu's profile have?

It was made using L* (L-Star, L*a*b) as the gamma target, also known as the target under ECI-RGB-v2. I found it gave better detail in shadows than using 2.2.

I should point out that I use the profile under ColorEyes LUT Loader, not the built in 10.5 colorsync lut loader. Whether this makes any discernible difference I do not know.

shahidhaque
Feb 18, 2008, 04:54 PM
I'm a big fan of the profile posted by tofupancake. My screen was too bright and washed out. Now it has better contrast and looks great. (Took a minute to get used to it, but now I love it.) Perhaps each screen is different, but it seemed to do the trick on mine.

bcaslis
Mar 11, 2008, 12:54 PM
I've profiled the MBA display using the x-rite color display2 hardware and the coloreyes pro software. Included in the zip are three profiles:

MBA D65 18.icc (6500K white point, 1.8 gamma)
MBA D65 22.icc (6500K white point, 2.2 gamma)
MBA D65 L.icc (6500K white point, L* gamma)
MBA Native 18.icc (Native white point, 1.8 gamma)
MBA Native 22.icc (Native white point, 2.2 gamma)
MBA Native .icc (Native white point, L* gamma)

Note L* is a gamma used by the coloreyes software that tries to retain the darker colors shown by the 1.8 gamma and the brighter colors shown by the 2.2 gamma. It works well at that but is overall less contrasty than the other gamma points.

My favorite and the one I'm using is the D65 1.8 gamma. But there should be something here for everyone. Note that there really isn't one right answer since what white point you use and gamma depends on your objective and the hardware profiled.

It was too large to upload the zip here, you can find the file at this link:

http://caslis.com/macprofiles/MBAProfiles.zip

Y2JDMBFAN
Mar 11, 2008, 10:07 PM
Stupid question but how do we install these? I'm pretty new to Mac OS X...

bcaslis
Mar 11, 2008, 10:23 PM

Copy the files in the unzipped folder to /Library/ColorSync/Profiles. They should then show up in the color tab in the Display System Preference.

digitalfx
Mar 11, 2008, 10:34 PM

just drop them in your user/library/colorsync/profiles folder and then load them via system prefs/displays

be sure to uncheck "show profiles for this display only"

oops, forgot to refresh first

digitalfx
Mar 11, 2008, 10:37 PM
tofu,

thanks for posting your calibration file. for some reason it looks a bit dark on my screen. I did a calibration myself (using the calibrate option in sys preferences) - and would appreciate your comments on it (and please - others, I would appreciate your comments as well)

the standard screen to me has a bit of a yellow tinge to it, and maybe i prefer a more artificial white than others - but that may be just a preference I have developed.

So, please comment on the file below (how does it look on your screen especially compared to "Stock" and to Tofu's profile)

TIA.

-alf

thanks, yours is my favorite

janph76
Jun 21, 2008, 09:32 AM
Wow.....my screen looks much better, thank you guys. Never actually calibrated my screens before, just use the default.

meagain
Jun 22, 2008, 07:52 AM
I tried Tofu's calibration and am finding it too yellow. I see it in greens especially. Some greens I know should be a blue green leaf, have a bright green to them. Will be trying others today.

I think we all have different displays so perhaps that's why. I forgot how to check which display I have. :)

kabunaru
Nov 19, 2008, 05:44 PM
Somebody try this profile:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6505689&postcount=56

A lot of people really like this profile.

jackiecanev2
Dec 18, 2008, 11:28 PM
Bringing back a dead horse...

anyone have any good profiles for the new RevB Air?

MBAir
Jan 21, 2009, 07:04 PM
I'm interested in one too. Please share. Thanks.

AIRniloc
Jan 21, 2009, 07:39 PM
i, three, am interested :)

SummerBoy
Jan 21, 2009, 08:26 PM
for those of you have rev. B macbook air !
I'd love to share my color profile. This took me a while but it's well worth it.
After this setting, I get more sharp images and more deep and live images.
Enjoy !

AIRniloc
Jan 21, 2009, 08:31 PM
for those of you have rev. B macbook air !
I'd love to share my color profile. This took me a while but it's well worth it.
After this setting, I get more sharp images and more deep and live images.
Enjoy !

where is the setting?

Maven1975
Jan 22, 2009, 02:53 PM
Where does supercal save its settings? I have a nice one to share.

jackiecanev2
Jan 22, 2009, 06:46 PM
All profiles should be in

HD>Library>ColorSync>Profiles(>Display)

Maven1975
Jan 23, 2009, 01:28 AM
Try this one...

AIRniloc
Jan 23, 2009, 01:51 AM
Try this one...

i'm a newbie with display settings...*whispers* how do i use this file :confused:

YOKOJP
Jan 23, 2009, 06:13 AM
i'm a newbie with display settings...*whispers* how do i use this file :confused:

after you downloaded one of the profile move it to library,colorsync, profiles, and displays. then go to system preferences, displays, color, uncheck "show profiles for this display only", then you will see the profile you downloaded.

hope this helps.

AIRniloc
Jan 23, 2009, 01:46 PM
after you downloaded one of the profile move it to library,colorsync, profiles, and displays. then go to system preferences, displays, color, uncheck "show profiles for this display only", then you will see the profile you downloaded.

hope this helps.

thank you!!

worked great! and thanks maven for the settings :D

buckawheat
Jan 23, 2009, 11:14 PM
Both profiles look great. I am switching between them for now trying to figure out which to stick with, but in any case, both superior to the defaults.

AIRniloc
Jan 23, 2009, 11:30 PM
Both profiles look great. I am switching between them for now trying to figure out which to stick with, but in any case, both superior to the defaults.

where is the second one? i only downloaded maven's..

edit: found them *doh*

dehory
Jan 24, 2009, 01:52 PM
I've profiled the MBA display using the x-rite color display2 hardware and the coloreyes pro software. Included in the zip are three profiles...

Would you care to re-up these profiles? I'd like to try them out... :)

Sdevante
Jan 24, 2009, 10:14 PM
Maven, thank you very much for the profile! This is my first mac and I thought it looked better than my PC by far; but now, the contrast is better and the tint is bluer, which is leaps and bounds above the default profile.

Maven1975
Jan 24, 2009, 11:55 PM
Maven, thank you very much for the profile! This is my first mac and I thought it looked better than my PC by far; but now, the contrast is better and the tint is bluer, which is leaps and bounds above the default profile.

YES!!!!

I am now better than default. :D

Pagga
Mar 17, 2009, 04:32 PM
Interesting.
The contrast is vastly better, that I give you. But at the same time,
shadows are growing too dark in photographs. I am also experiencing a
hint of green here, which is not much better than the blue some complain about?

Original settings on my c98 screen is still the better choice in my eyes. Itīs brighter too.

regards,
P

Young Turk
Mar 18, 2009, 06:23 PM
Interesting.
The contrast is vastly better, that I give you. But at the same time,
shadows are growing too dark in photographs. I am also experiencing a
hint of green here, which is not much better than the blue some complain about?

Original settings on my c98 screen is still the better choice in my eyes. Itīs brighter too.

regards,
P

I'd like a slightly bluer screen, and I've tried calibrating but still can't quite get it right on my Rev B SSD Air.

Anyone who can post their calibration profile, much obliged.

QB!2

turugara
Mar 19, 2009, 06:18 PM
I really enjoy that "Spyder" profile. It showed more detail than the previously posted calibration.

kabunaru
Mar 19, 2009, 06:36 PM
I really enjoy that "Spyder" profile. It showed more detail than the previously posted calibration.

What do you think of tofupancake's colour profile?

hybster
Mar 20, 2009, 04:12 AM
Here is my profile for 9c90 displays, enjoy.

kabunaru
Mar 26, 2009, 08:43 PM
Here is my profile for 9c90 displays, enjoy.

Wow, looks interesting.

mhnajjar
Mar 26, 2009, 09:42 PM
Wow, looks interesting.

Is it better than the others?

I haven't tried it yet since I am on my iMac now not the MBA, but alpinadvl's profile is perfect for my revB MBA with 9C8F screen model :)

kabunaru
Mar 26, 2009, 09:43 PM
I haven't tried it yet since I am on my iMac now not the MBA, but alpinadvl's profile is perfect for my revB MBA with 9C8F screen model :)
I am using tofupancake'scolour profile on my MacBook and iMac.

tsubikiddo
Mar 27, 2009, 11:19 PM
tofu,

TIA.

-alf
I'm new in the MacWorld :)

I personally like this profile the best on my MBA 1.6/HDD rev.B
The Yellow is once restored as yellow and the screen is not as bright&bleaking

one thing that raise my awareness is,
with all the calibration profiles, all seems to have a 'darker tone' then the factory profile,
and this means the screen will have to turn up its brightness
just a little worry about the battery time:confused:

Tofupancake's profile is prbly a little bit too 'darkened' on my MBA rev.B scrn,
turn up to full brightness is not my thing as I need the battery time as well

kabunaru
Mar 28, 2009, 10:44 AM
I'm new in the MacWorld :)

I personally like this profile the best on my MBA 1.6/HDD rev.B
The Yellow is once restored as yellow and the screen is not as bright&bleaking

one thing that raise my awareness is,
with all the calibration profiles, all seems to have a 'darker tone' then the factory profile,
and this means the screen will have to turn up its brightness
just a little worry about the battery time:confused:

Tofupancake's profile is prbly a little bit too 'darkened' on my MBA rev.B scrn,
turn up to full brightness is not my thing as I need the battery time as well

And I had another report where somebody had said tofupancake's profile is too yellow.
I don't see too yellow anything about it on my Macs.

tsubikiddo
Mar 28, 2009, 12:34 PM
And I had another report where somebody had said tofupancake's profile is too yellow.
I don't see too yellow anything about it on my Macs.

it's not, it's too 'dark'
I think the contrast must be tuned to its lowest...

however, I do experience problem with others' color profile,
being too yellow
for example, I am dead sure Finder's edges are Silver,
some of the profiles gave me 'yellow-ish green' instead of 'white-silver'

dudeitsjay
Mar 28, 2009, 07:56 PM
I finally got around to doing the hardware calibration, I've tried to attach the file here (first time attacher alert).
1. Unzip the attachment to Library/ColorSync/Profiles
2. Select the new profile '20080216' in System Preferences > Displays > Color
It is safe to do this, you won't overwrite anything and can easily go back to system default with a click of the button at any time. It's also easy to compare the effect while you have a photo onscreen. It's best to do this inside photoshop, which is much more color profile aware than say a web browser. We're not talking about making nice web pics here, but accurate rendition for repro.

Profile made with ColorEyes Display Pro (http://www.integrated-color.com/cedpro/coloreyesdisplay.html) and xrite dtp 24 colorimeter. It's good software with a demo available, I'd recommend it if color accuracy is important to you. At $300+ including hardware it isn't cheap but has saved me a lot of time in not having to mess with reprints. (I'm not affiliated in any way, I'm just a customer). Profile made with screen at maximum brightness. I may try again at 12/16 brightness. Profiled at D65 white point and L* colorspace (Lab based but software proprietary). I have to try profiling under various light sources and environments and then choose appropriately.

Personally, I find the difference excellent. Much better contrast. The washed out yellows gone, and more vibrant blues and reds. It better matches my 23" ACD which matches my prints (I'm a photographer). Interestingly, for B&W the difference is even more pronounced. The default profile was squelching blacks and pushing whites, there is a much more gradual range now, with details coming back from my blacks and highlights.

note: each and every manufactured display is slightly different, and changes over time. The only real way to accurately profile your display is to do it yourself, and do it regularly.

Awesome! I'm so glad I stumbled into this, because I would actually feel the tension in my eyes after reading on my air. With your settings that tension went away and my eyes feel much less tired =D.

StephanBer1
Nov 10, 2010, 03:01 AM
I have a 13" MacBook Air Rev A and have used this calibration for some time now on all of my Mac laptop LCD backlit screens, excluding MacBook Pros as they tend to run slightly different.

Make no mistake, this is NOT designed for super accurate color printing and reproduction, but is designed to give us everyday folks a screen that we can look at without wanting to commit sepuku with a butter knife. ;)

If there's anything I don't like about LCD backlit screens, it's the blueish tinge you pick up from them. I like my whites white and my blues blue, not interbreeding with each other. You may even find this is reminiscent of your older PowerBook?

I tried all of the ones throughout this post and while the 'Spyder' one wasn't bad, it still had a hint of blue in the whites and greys.

Please note: I (like many other people in this post) also hardly EVER use my Macs with the brightness turned all the way up (sunglasses, anyone?!) so this calibration works best when they are set from about halfway to three quarters.

Give it a try, and let me know what you think.

Corax
Nov 10, 2010, 03:59 AM
I have a 13" MacBook Air Rev A and have used this calibration for some time now on all of my Mac laptop LCD backlit screens, excluding MacBook Pros as they tend to run slightly different.

Make no mistake, this is NOT designed for super accurate color printing and reproduction, but is designed to give us everyday folks a screen that we can look at without wanting to commit sepuku with a butter knife. ;)

If there's anything I don't like about LCD backlit screens, it's the blueish tinge you pick up from them. I like my whites white and my blues blue, not interbreeding with each other. You may even find this is reminiscent of your older PowerBook?

I tried all of the ones throughout this post and while the 'Spyder' one wasn't bad, it still had a hint of blue in the whites and greys.

Please note: I (like many other people in this post) also hardly EVER use my Macs with the brightness turned all the way up (sunglasses, anyone?!) so this calibration works best when they are set from about halfway to three quarters.

Give it a try, and let me know what you think.

Really, it was terrible! Honest. On what kind of MBA was this made? It was so far off, that I wonder if it's really made on a recent MBA.
I have a new late 2010 MBA 13". But maybe it's just the difference between display's, but so much difference?
Tofupancake's profile looks great by the way, even though it's an "old" profile, not made on my MBA.

StephanBer1
Nov 10, 2010, 11:18 AM
Really, it was terrible! Honest. On what kind of MBA was this made? It was so far off, that I wonder if it's really made on a recent MBA.
I have a new late 2010 MBA 13". But maybe it's just the difference between display's, but so much difference?
Tofupancake's profile looks great by the way, even though it's an "old" profile, not made on my MBA.

Hey Corax;

I suspected that it wouldn't fair well with the brand new MBA - and I agree; it will look absolutely terrible on the 'wrong' display. I have another profile that I have to use for an external monitor, and then an entirely different one when I have it hooked up to my 1080p LCD TV.

It is entirely possible that my MBA display is on it's way out, and it's just one of the many reasons why none of us should just assume that we've made the best profile for everyone.

So... Corax. Not to get off subject (I'm SURE there's another topic for it, but this one was pretty much dead before I jumped in) but how do you like your new MBA? I desperately tried to love it, I went in with the full intention walking out with one and I was quite sad when I didn't. The most notable deletion for me was the backlit keyboard, and the fact that they should have already come with 4GB of ram with an option to further upgrade to 8GB. Being a 'professional' first gen shopper, I know know KNOW that there's something better just around the corner, but it's all I can do from stopping myself. ;)

I'd bet there's a third party already working on a 4GB and maybe even a 8GB memory chip for the new MBA (both of which will likely void your Apple warranty like no one has before) but I'll be curious to see the results and if they bring them to market. Sure, there's the option to buy the 4GB right now, but there's a LOT of people just going out the door with the 2GB... I see them all on eBay just as soon as Lion 10.7 hits next year.

As for me, I love that the new MBA's don't throttle down the second you throw some heat at them, and getting that big upgrade in the GPU department... But wow. Take out the backlit keyboard, then make me buy yet another MBA six months down the road just so I can get the 8GB of ram into it? I gotta hold firm and take a pass on this latest revision. Me and my first gen 1.6Ghz with my 64GB SSD are gonna make it... I just know it... Just as long as I remember NOT to post that color profile anywhere else. :rolleyes:

Corax
Nov 10, 2010, 11:57 AM
I wasn't making fun of you, it just really looked awful! :)
But I checked your profile out, because it was posted now, in a time where people buy the new Air, just to try it out, if it was made for a new one.

I really like the new Air! It's amazingly fast, did not expect so fast.
It is overall much faster than my MacBook alu Unibody 2,4GHz with 4GB (2008, high end with backlit keyboard) it replaced.
Also I just love the Air's display, sweet high resolution.
I'm amazed how it runs 1080p HD video content so smooth, better than the MacBook did.
2GB is enough for me, I'm not using it as a pro, just for internet, email, videoplayer (connected to my 42" full HD TV) and occasionally iLife 11 apps.
At first my wife was a little disappointed when I told her there was no backlit keyboard, but after using it for half an hour she didn't really mind anymore, because of the performance advantages (and the nice screen).

StephanBer1
Nov 10, 2010, 10:37 PM
I wasn't making fun of you, it just really looked awful! :)

No worries! I might be a newbie on MacRumors, but my skin has grown thick here in the land of Internet. I built and ran a forums board a couple of years ago, so as an Admin, not to mention a user, you learn to take NOTHING personally.

I fully understand why Steve Jobs took out the keyboard. It seems that everyone is convinced that it was to get that extra ten minutes out of the new MBA, and others are convinced that it was to get it just that much thinner. Me? I see it as a way to get it further away from the MBP's and develop it closer in line with the regular MacBooks, if not develop a distinct third (forth, if you count the iPad?) identity for their portable line. I also can't think of any other reason why he'd want to release it by limiting the ram to 4GB, unless he wanted to signal that, "Look. It's a great machine. But by no means is it a MBP".

There's also that desire to keep it under the $999 price point, but heck. It could always be an option. I'd gladly pay $100 for an upgraded keyboard and $100 for the 4GB memory upgrade. It's not like I didn't just pay $1799 plus $999 for the SSD a couple of years ago? As far as I'm concerned, $1199 for an 11" MacBook Air with a backlit keyboard and 4GB of ram would be a downright gift from the mind of Steve Jobs. :cool:

It's good to hear that an end-user such as yourself has similar findings inline with most of the formal reviews that have been drawn up on it, and it does make me reconsider (re-reconsider?) purchasing one. Keep me posted, and let me know once you get a fairly graphics-intensive game running on that little guy.

Thanks for the input on the color profile, and I'm sure I'll bump into you in other MacRumor topics. Take care and enjoy! :)

Corax
Nov 11, 2010, 02:49 AM
I fully understand why Steve Jobs took out the keyboard. It seems that everyone is convinced that it was to get that extra ten minutes out of the new MBA, and others are convinced that it was to get it just that much thinner. Me? I see it as a way to get it further away from the MBP's and develop it closer in line with the regular MacBooks, if not develop a distinct third (forth, if you count the iPad?) identity for their portable line. I also can't think of any other reason why he'd want to release it by limiting the ram to 4GB, unless he wanted to signal that, "Look. It's a great machine. But by no means is it a MBP".

There's also that desire to keep it under the $999 price point, but heck. It could always be an option. I'd gladly pay $100 for an upgraded keyboard and $100 for the 4GB memory upgrade. It's not like I didn't just pay $1799 plus $999 for the SSD a couple of years ago? As far as I'm concerned, $1199 for an 11" MacBook Air with a backlit keyboard and 4GB of ram would be a downright gift from the mind of Steve Jobs. :cool:

I really agree, in both the points you're making.

The backlit keyboard, is collateral because of the advantages of the new Air, but still it would have been a bonus. Loved it on the MacBook I sold 4 this Air.

Indeed it's not a MBP replacement, well for a lot of people it could be, but for the people/pro's who actually make intensive use of the resources from the MBP it's not an option, and shouldn't be.
But sometimes I really laugh (in myself) because some people "think" they have to buy the fastest and end op with a MBP, but they only use 10% of it's capacity, resources and aren't really pro users.
Those people should consider the Air.

Still I most say that the Air turns out to be much faster than I thought. Due to the SSD-card, but definitely also the upgraded GPU.
128GB is enough for me cause large files, like movies etc. are kept on a external disk. 64GB is not an option for me, only for the programs alone it would be cramped. Plus for my use I really prefer the 13" screen's workspace for office, when working with photo's, but again also movies on a trip.
1440x900 is the same resolution as the basic MPB 15" has!

tmoerel
Nov 11, 2010, 02:49 AM
Here is my profile made with a Huey Pro on a Macbook Air 13.3 with a 9C8F screen.

It is for 65K, gamma 2.2

Good luck with it. I hope it can help some of you.

Corax
Nov 11, 2010, 02:55 AM
This profile works really great on my 13" 9CDF.

verity
Nov 13, 2010, 12:48 PM
Just wanted to say a quick thanks for the profile. I like it a lot on my 13'' 9CF0. I'm no pro, but yours looks the best for me so far.

Raejin
Jul 22, 2012, 10:40 PM

Just want to step by and thank you for your excellent profile. I am really in love with it :) Great contrast.

rsaravanan
Jul 24, 2012, 07:56 AM
Hi,

Background Story: I bought a 11" Air (2012) model (Core i7, 8GB version) recently, and by chance ended up with an LG display (LP116WH4-TJA3).. I could visibly see that the color calibration was 'way off', but needed something that I could use in both office and home (lighting levels vary).. And believe me, the built in color calibration sucked.

That started a 3-4 week long obsession with what is the ideal profile that I could use for an LG display.. I played around with SuperCal, Apple's calibration assistant, downloaded about 25-30 profiles from online forums, tried out all the downloaded ones and finally ended up with one created by myself using Apple's calibration assistant (expert mode)..

Here are my observations on color calibration per se:

There is a difference between the LG display and the Samsung/AU Optronics displays (I am not bothered about what AnandTech says, I am not bothered about technical results - I trust my eyes, I trust what I see before me)
The way the display 'feels' is affected by various factors - the viewing angle (mainly vertical), amount of surrounding light, direction of surrounding light, brightness of the display, font anti-aliasing settings, whether you have a screen protector, the distance between your eyes and the display, etc.
You will need to arrive at an appropriate combination of the color profile, anti-aliasing settings and font choice to make the display reach a good-enough level..
What 'feels good' will vary by user also - some may like strong anti-aliasing, some may prefer a bluish tint, etc.

What I've attached with this post is the final .icc profile I am using now.. I have strong anti-aliasing turned on, I generally find Trebuchet MS and Gill Sans MT as fonts that appear reasonable for documents.. [All of you may not like the settings I am using - pls feel free to experiment, and post your results..]

Thought I'll submit this here in case it helps someone else who is thinking about returning the Air just because of the LG display..

Have fun, and hope this helps,

Rgds,

R. Saravanan

---
Update:

I upgraded to Mountain Lion a couple of days back, and noticed a few differences in the way the color/profile is used/fonts are rendered (possibly due to its support for the Retina display).. Took another shot at calibration - this time I'm using one created using SuperCal.. File attached.

---
Update:
Adding another - my current profile (attempt to increase contrast and make the colors richer than the other two). Have actually removed all other profiles from my machine as of now - have stayed with SC13.

RodPinto
Jul 24, 2012, 03:37 PM
Hi,

Background Story: I bought a 11" Air (2012) model (Core i7, 8GB version) recently, and by chance ended up with an LG display (LP116WH4-TJA3).. I could visibly see that the color calibration was 'way off', but needed something that I could use in both office and home (lighting levels vary).. And believe me, the built in color calibration sucked.

That started a 3-4 week long obsession with what is the ideal profile that I could use for an LG display.. I played around with SuperCal, Apple's calibration assistant, downloaded about 25-30 profiles from online forums, tried out all the downloaded ones and finally ended up with one created by myself using Apple's calibration assistant (expert mode)..

There is a difference between the LG display and the Samsung/AU Optronics displays (I am not bothered about what AnandTech says, I am not bothered about technical results - I trust my eyes, I trust what I see before me)
The way the display 'feels' is affected by various factors - the viewing angle (mainly vertical), amount of surrounding light, direction of surrounding light, brightness of the display, font anti-aliasing settings, whether you have a screen protector, the distance between your eyes and the display, etc.
You will need to arrive at an appropriate combination of the color profile, anti-aliasing settings and font choice to make the display reach a good-enough level..
What 'feels good' will vary by user also - some may like strong anti-aliasing, some may prefer a bluish tint, etc.

What I've attached with this post is the final .icc profile I am using now.. I have strong anti-aliasing turned on, I generally find Trebuchet MS and Gill Sans MT as fonts that appear reasonable for documents.. [All of you may not like the settings I am using - pls feel free to experiment, and post your results..]

Thought I'll submit this here in case it helps someone else who is thinking about returning the Air just because of the LG display..

Rgds,

R. Saravanan

Great profile man! I have the same 11 Air... Thanks for sharing!

rmastbro
Jul 24, 2012, 08:49 PM
Hi,

Rgds,

R. Saravanan

Agreed ... The best profile I have used on my 2012 11" Air (LG). Great job !!!!

rsaravanan
Jul 25, 2012, 04:24 AM
Thanks Pinto, rmastbro.. Glad that it helped.

Daginator
Jul 25, 2012, 04:39 AM
Thanks Pinto, rmastbro.. Glad that it helped.

I am using your profile as we speak on my 13 inch LG display (2012), great contrast but itīs a bit blue on my screen. Any advantages with more blue-tone then letīs say Anandtechīs profile?

rsaravanan
Jul 25, 2012, 06:02 AM
I am using your profile as we speak on my 13 inch LG display (2012), great contrast but itīs a bit blue on my screen. Any advantages with more blue-tone then letīs say Anandtechīs profile?

Hi, the profile is not meant to be bluish.. ..I think the profile is very specific to the device it was created on.. I've created the profile on a 11" LG Air (2012) - LP116WH4-TJA3.. I think it would not fit other models (you may find it bluish/reddish, for example).. I noticed similar behaviour when I tried the profile from my old 13" Unibody MacBook on the 11" Air..

Hope that helps..

rsaravanan
Sep 13, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hi,

Rgds,

R. Saravanan

---
Update:

I upgraded to Mountain Lion a couple of days back, and noticed a few differences in the way the color/profile is used/fonts are rendered (possibly due to its support for the Retina display).. Took another shot at calibration - this time I'm using one created using SuperCal.. File attached.

---
Update:
Adding another - my current profile (attempt to increase contrast and make the colors richer than the other two). Have actually removed all other profiles from my machine as of now - have stayed with SC13.

---
Further Update:
I spent about 6 weeks breaking my head since I couldnt get the display with Mountain Lion to the same quality as I'd seen with the AC15 proile and Lion.. Could get the colors correct, but I could never settle down with ML's font rendering..

Finally mustered the courage yesterday to try a restore (from Time Machine) back to Lion - and Wow! Was I surprised at the difference.. Tried a restore back to ML - using exactly the same profile, and believe me, I am a lot happier with the way Lion handles fonts.. Did some Googling and realized that the font rendering on ML is so optimized for Retina displays that non-retina displays dont look good at all..

Have gone back to Lion and stayed there.. [If the rumor turns out to be true, and Apple releases a 13" MacBook, I think I'll go to the Retina display with ML later..]

Attaching the profile I am using right now.. (..all profiles with the SC prefix were created with SuperCal..)

Have fun!

itsamacthing
Sep 22, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hi, Please take a moment to read and sign our petition to Apple:

http://www.change.org/petitions/apple-computer-use-the-same-quality-lcd-in-all-their-computers

rsaravanan
Sep 29, 2012, 01:02 PM
---
Further Update:
I spent about 6 weeks breaking my head since I couldnt get the display with Mountain Lion to the same quality as I'd seen with the AC15 proile and Lion.. Could get the colors correct, but I could never settle down with ML's font rendering..

Finally mustered the courage yesterday to try a restore (from Time Machine) back to Lion - and Wow! Was I surprised at the difference.. Tried a restore back to ML - using exactly the same profile, and believe me, I am a lot happier with the way Lion handles fonts.. Did some Googling and realized that the font rendering on ML is so optimized for Retina displays that non-retina displays dont look good at all..

Have gone back to Lion and stayed there.. [If the rumor turns out to be true, and Apple releases a 13" MacBook, I think I'll go to the Retina display with ML later..]

Attaching the profile I am using right now.. (..all profiles with the SC prefix were created with SuperCal..)

Have fun!

A week back, decided to get a Spyder and calibrate the screen using the device.. Adjusted the white point slightly after the calibration finished, and ended up with the profile attached here. Waited a week before posting - still on this profile, so I think it should help.. Compared to this, you'll find the SC24 profile slightly bluish..

Hope this helps,

rsaravanan
Oct 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
A week back, decided to get a Spyder and calibrate the screen using the device.. Adjusted the white point slightly after the calibration finished, and ended up with the profile attached here. Waited a week before posting - still on this profile, so I think it should help.. Compared to this, you'll find the SC24 profile slightly bluish..

Hope this helps,

Realized one more thing - that setting the brightness level in the color profile to max when calibrating causes the white to appear more yellowish.. Fixed in the attached version. Perfect now as far as my 'eyes' certify.. [I think I might be annoying the team here by posting so much, so will stop with this version.. :)] Have fun.

[Ironically I reach a stage where I am beginning to like the display, and if the rumors are true, next week Apple is going to release a 13" Pro with a Retina display.. ** Sigh **]

rsaravanan
Oct 20, 2012, 08:14 AM
Realized one more thing - that setting the brightness level in the color profile to max when calibrating causes the white to appear more yellowish.. Fixed in the attached version. Perfect now as far as my 'eyes' certify.. [I think I might be annoying the team here by posting so much, so will stop with this version.. :)] Have fun.

[Ironically I reach a stage where I am beginning to like the display, and if the rumors are true, next week Apple is going to release a 13" Pro with a Retina display.. ** Sigh **]

Hi all,

I think I have posted some 5-6 profiles here, and while these have evolved as I was learning, I realized a little while back that I had never actually got to comparing them against each other..

Did this a couple of days back, and was surprised to find that I liked the 'LG Color LCD - 4' version the most.. Have switched to this for now - thought I'll post the update..

[If I were in your position (with a 2012 Macbook Air 11" and an LG LCD and wondering which profile to try out), I would probably go with the 'LG Color LCD - 4'.. ..your preference may vary though..]

Hope that helps,

R. Saravanan

rsaravanan
Oct 21, 2012, 02:00 PM
Hi all,

I think I have posted some 5-6 profiles here, and while these have evolved as I was learning, I realized a little while back that I had never actually got to comparing them against each other..

Did this a couple of days back, and was surprised to find that I liked the 'LG Color LCD - 4' version the most.. Have switched to this for now - thought I'll post the update..

[If I were in your position (with a 2012 Macbook Air 11" and an LG LCD and wondering which profile to try out), I would probably go with the 'LG Color LCD - 4'.. ..your preference may vary though..]

Hope that helps,

R. Saravanan

To add to the above - try both 'LG Color LCD - 4' and 'LG Color LCD - 12' and decide.