PDA

View Full Version : MBP on Ebay Cheap

ewulls01
Feb 2, 2008, 11:24 PM
Anyone have any heartburn ordering one of these? There are 14 of them available (buy it now).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250212400171&Category=140065&_trksid=p3907.m29

An apple is an apple, no matter where you get it right? Probably want to combine with apple care for good measure.

Opinions welcome here...

Spizzo
Feb 2, 2008, 11:27 PM
You know what they say:

If it's too good to be true...

But this guy sells a lot of mac's. I don't know. Personally I'd stay away. Just looking at the way he treats his customers (read some of the feedback he left in response to negative or neutral feedback), it's not worth it.

Reply by mrstich76 (Jan-23-08 05:46):
CRYBABY....WAH WAH WAH...Next time purchase FEDEX EXPRESS DELIVERY...

Reply by mrstich76 (Jan-10-08 13:42):
I ship 3 days after payment not 3 hours u MORON... BIGGEST IDIOT EBAYER EVER

Krafty
Feb 2, 2008, 11:28 PM
My opinion: I wish my parents were generous enough to get me one.... :/ I really want a MBP to replace my 1yr outdated MB.

heatmiser
Feb 2, 2008, 11:30 PM
I'd never buy a computer from eBay unless I could afford to lose the money without hesitation. Sort of the way you throw a penny into a fountain without trying to get it back.

sushi
Feb 2, 2008, 11:32 PM
My opinion: I wish my parents were generous enough to get me one.... :/ I really want a MBP to replace my 1yr outdated MB.
1 year old...Outdated?

Many on MR are still using computers that are 5 years and older.

Just because a new model comes out does not mean that your current model is outdated. If it still does what you need to do, then it is still a viable computer.

mBurns
Feb 2, 2008, 11:32 PM
I've heard from people who have successfully bought from him that the item came NIB from Apple just as described but the shipping was painfully slow. The seller is also an impatient person.

Krafty
Feb 2, 2008, 11:35 PM
1 year old...Outdated?

Many on MR are still using computers that are 5 years and older.

Just because a new model comes out does not mean that your current model is outdated. If it still does what you need to do, then it is still a viable computer.
But I could really use a MBP. I guess its cause most people on my campus who have one (IMO) dont really need it (or use it to half its extent), where with what I do I could REALLy use a 15" screen.

jim.arrows
Feb 2, 2008, 11:38 PM
It's only $109 less than the equivalent refurb, not worth it IMO.

heatmiser
Feb 2, 2008, 11:38 PM
But I could really use a MBP. I guess its cause most people on my campus who have one (IMO) dont really need it (or use it to half its extent), where with what I do I could REALLy use a 15" screen.

Different argument, bro. Next time just say you want an MBP, without calling your MB outdated. :D

Spizzo
Feb 2, 2008, 11:39 PM
Different argument, bro. Next time just say you want an MBP, without calling your MB outdated. :D

Outgrown would have been a much better word! :D

Krafty
Feb 2, 2008, 11:42 PM
True. I think its cause seeing everyone else with one im just imitated. Dont get me wrong, I love my MB and am grateful to have parents that bought me one, its just hard when I want to do something but cant.

I have to upgrade my HD again, upgrade my RAM, and still the workspace is little. Then again, I kinda like it cause of its compact size. IDK, sometimes seeing things on it is cooler than on a 15", btu workwise I wish there wish the screen would morph into like...a 25" monitor.

blackosx
Feb 2, 2008, 11:44 PM
yea..ive been an ebay user for 3 or 4 years i think..maybe longer..but this guy does seem legit..even though he acts like a little kid. Although if anything goes wrong i would contact ebay and paypal straight away once receiving your laptop. Paypal gives you 45 days but still...contact them straight away. If i dont like the new macbook pros, or if it is a small difference, than this macbook pro..i might as well buy this one. $1600 isnt bad..thats including tax and shipping. If i use my student discount on the new macbook pro..once out..itll cost me $1900..or a little more than that..saving $300 would be great. Although i might be willing to pay the $300 if the new macbook pro is alot faster, and comes with higher specs...$300 worth lol.

spgiva
Feb 2, 2008, 11:44 PM
Another really good deal on a MacBook Pro (https://www.ecomelectronics.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=2106).

Best as I can tell, it is the matt screen 2.4 ghz MBP for $400 less then apple sells it for. I had to sit on my hands not to buy one. I am going to wait until my PB has been run into the ground :eek::mad::rolleyes:. But no reason not to share the wealth.

FYI I think I found this site through cnet.com

Spizzo
Feb 2, 2008, 11:48 PM
yea..ive been an ebay user for 3 or 4 years i think..maybe longer..but this guy does seem legit..even though he acts like a little kid. Although if anyone goes wrong i would contact ebay and paypal straight away once receiving your laptop. Paypal gives you 45 days but still...contact them straight away.

As long as you buy thru paypal, you should be safe. I always use my CC for pricey purchases, so there is always that recourse too, but paypal usually gets your money back.
Still... makes me wonder about his source if he can sell them that low...

blackosx
Feb 2, 2008, 11:54 PM
99% of his people have seemed happy..i just messaged him asking him if its refurbished or not...hopefully the new macbook pro is what it comes out to be..something alot better. I have $2600 saved up for it...but if its not gonna be that different, i might as well buy this one.

sushi
Feb 3, 2008, 12:06 AM
What about getting an external monitor for when you are working in your dorm?

An external monitor would give you a lot more space than a MBP 15.

Krafty
Feb 3, 2008, 12:08 AM
What about getting an external monitor for when you are working in your dorm?

An external monitor would give you a lot more space than a MBP 15.

Cause I work in a lot of areas (friends dorms, school, "hub" AKA Cafeteria). I actually saved 330 for a 15" iMac G3 (cause I've craved for th movable screens for the LONGEST time) and spent it on an iPod touch.

r00
Feb 3, 2008, 12:21 AM
Why did you have to post this!? I promised I would wait for the updated model but saving over $200 seems worth it to me for a current MBP...

AHHHH!!!!!

EvryDayImShufln
Feb 3, 2008, 12:30 AM
That's an amazing price. Plus, if you have ever used ebay before you'd know its very safe. After going through a little bit of this guys feedback, he seems like a very good seller. I would def buy one of these from him if I hadn't already.

blackosx
Feb 3, 2008, 12:43 AM
i know its tempting! ..still got till the 12th ...9 more days left..i swear ..if their is no announcement on the macbook pro by then..im just gonna buy one off of ebay. Im tired of waiting.

Spizzo
Feb 3, 2008, 12:44 AM
if their is no announement on the macbook pro by then..im just gonna buy one off of ebay. Im tired of waiting.

Don't do that, it will be announced right after you buy it!!! :eek:

McGiord
Feb 3, 2008, 12:46 AM
Cheap is cheap...

I do prefer to buy from MacMall, you get more stuff for a similar price, and they will not screw you...

In eBay there is always a risk.

www.macmall.com
________
Chrysler Crossfire history (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_Crossfire)

blackosx
Feb 3, 2008, 12:51 AM
check this out http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-APPLE-MACBOOK-PRO-MA896LL-A_W0QQitemZ260208796873QQihZ016QQcategoryZ140065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

its still cheap..and 24 left lol ..too bad it has the matte screen..i need a glossy screen ..as i am a webdesigner.

semiconstructiv
Feb 3, 2008, 01:07 AM
check this out http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-APPLE-MACBOOK-PRO-MA896LL-A_W0QQitemZ260208796873QQihZ016QQcategoryZ140065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

its still cheap..and 24 left lol ..too bad it has the matte screen..i need a glossy screen ..as i am a webdesigner.

LOL wth? last time i checked majority of web designers use matte for accurate colors. glossy would be a hassle and inaccurate.

r00
Feb 3, 2008, 01:20 AM
Oh balls. It's been up for only 3 hours and 2 have already sold. These are going to go quick and I just might give in...

OceanView
Feb 3, 2008, 01:23 AM
I would not buy new Apples from eBay.
Many of these if not all are bought using stolen/fraudulent credit cards.

AirmanPika
Feb 3, 2008, 01:30 AM
I would not buy new Apples from eBay.
Many of these if not all are bought using stolen/fraudulent credit cards.

I wouldn't say that. Apple is sending me a brand new macbook pro to replace my old one. I intend to sell it on ebay to save up for the new model whenever it releases.

Mindflux
Feb 3, 2008, 01:33 AM
It's only $109 less than the equivalent refurb, not worth it IMO.

Try adding another 150 bucks in tax (varies on tax rate of course).

linshiwen
Feb 3, 2008, 02:10 AM
Actually I had a great experience buying my MBP on ebay. Brand new in box, 17 in MBP for $2350, 250 less than apple.com WITH EDUCATIONAL DISCOUNT (500 less without, I think) and no tax. No problems at all, registered it myself, had like 11.5 months of warranty on it...best deal I ever got

Seller was: atlantis_discount_warehouse_llc

dtklamf
Feb 3, 2008, 05:19 AM
You know what they say:

But this guy sells a lot of mac's. I don't know. Personally I'd stay away. Just looking at the way he treats his customers (read some of the feedback he left in response to negative or neutral feedback), it's not worth it.

haha those are AWESOME responses.i totally agree with him and i do exactly the same thing.some people on ebay ARE total complete idiots.more people should understand how stupid buyers can be.ive had people complain about me because they didnt recieve something in 2 days.nevermind the fact that they paid by cheque and mailed it.....

never had a problem buying from ebay really.i always insist on pickup only no shipping.

maestrokev
Feb 3, 2008, 05:35 AM
As long as you buy thru paypal, you should be safe. I always use my CC for pricey purchases, so there is always that recourse too, but paypal usually gets your money back.
Still... makes me wonder about his source if he can sell them that low...

I wouldn't put too much hope on PayPal. If you read the agreement carefully it states that it only covers both parties if both are confirmed addresses in US/Canada/UK - also read about how it has to ship insured with signature etc. Anything missing and PayPal says bye bye!

Best thing to do is to contact a bunch of people who have purchased high end items from this seller recently and get their feedback.

His explanation for not shipping until 72-96hrs later is PayPal fraud. How does he determine within that time period what is fraud and what is not?

Spizzo
Feb 3, 2008, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't put too much hope on PayPal. If you read the agreement carefully it states that it only covers both parties if both are confirmed addresses in US/Canada/UK - also read about how it has to ship insured with signature etc. Anything missing and PayPal says bye bye!

Doesn't this apply more to the seller? As a seller you need to cover you butt, only ship to confirmed address, always have tracking. You are not required to have insurance or signature. And they only cover up to a certain $ amount. Maybe things have changed, I stopped selling a year or so ago.

soupyjnr
Feb 3, 2008, 09:08 AM
I wouldnt take that chance. Although it might seem good now - its a big risk. Its alot of money to hand out over ebay.com - but I guess the final decision is totally upto you :) Let us know what you decide to do.

My personal opinion : Think of it this way. You can buy a brand new MacBook Pro off the people who make them and from a 'reliable and trusted' company for $1,999.00 (Apples Online Store, US price). Or you can buy it for $1,590.00, $409 cheaper, from a person you dont even know - and your not guaranteed to get it at the end of the day. Thats the way I would see it. I would rather spend $409 more for added peace of mind.

Let us know what you do and I hope this helps.

Hankster
Feb 3, 2008, 09:12 AM
It's very easy to get what you're not expecting with computers on eBay. Just be careful. You have to figure out how the seller is auctioning them off for so cheap...

ewulls01
Feb 3, 2008, 04:47 PM
Maybe Steve Jobs is trying to unload some additional inventory before the new ones launch :-)

Judging by the seller's impatience I have heard that Steve can get a little agitated at times...

mashoutposse
Feb 3, 2008, 05:14 PM
They're all very likely to be stolen or otherwise illicitly acquired. I don't see how anyone could sell these for $1600 minus eBay/Paypal fees and still make a profit.

sevimli
Feb 3, 2008, 05:32 PM
They're all very likely to be stolen or otherwise illicitly acquired. I don't see how anyone could sell these for $1600 minus eBay/Paypal fees and still make a profit.

What if you purchased them??? You legally paid everything, ebay allowed these guys to sell their goods as well. As long as you have proofs like these you will be fine.

OceanView
Feb 4, 2008, 12:13 AM
What if you purchased them??? You legally paid everything, ebay allowed these guys to sell their goods as well. As long as you have proofs like these you will be fine.

Think about it, how can one seller get these in quantity?
Apple does not give out authorization to sell Apple products anymore to individuals or small companies. Actually they have been taking authorizations back from small mom and pop shops for the last 8 years.
That means the seller is not an authorized seller.
If the seller is not authorized, how do you think they are getting them?
Even big companies like MacMall, CDW, etc cannot even buy these units at these prices let alone sell them at these prices.

GeneKam
Feb 4, 2008, 12:22 AM
Well, unless its an Apple employed seller, i really dont see how these could possible be legal. Retail stores buy them and sell them at about 60 bucks above the cost. I work for Best Buy and we dont generate much profit from the price we retail the product at all. I really dont see how this is legit.

Anderson3133
Feb 4, 2008, 12:23 AM
You know what they say:

Or here are more :D

*****BUYERS BEWARE***** NEVER RECIEVED ITEM**- FILED CLAIMS W/PAYPAL & VISA***** usamp260 (private) Jan-31-08 07:31
Follow-up by usamp260 (Feb-02-08 07:11):
email he leaves u- fu** off u piece of sh**.my company that I own is nationwide

lol sounds like a damn 10 year old child

senorfrog97
Feb 4, 2008, 03:08 AM
If you're going to buy a computer on Ebay, just make sure you pay with PayPal and the transaction is covered for up to $2000 by PayPal.

gnasher729
Feb 4, 2008, 03:31 AM
Anyone have any heartburn ordering one of these? There are 14 of them available (buy it now).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250212400171&Category=140065&_trksid=p3907.m29

An apple is an apple, no matter where you get it right? Probably want to combine with apple care for good measure.

Opinions welcome here...

I don't know. It could be a scam, but it would have to be very elaborate. A scammer can easily have good feedback, just someone with good feedback who got his account hijacked (typical sign: Sells a reasonable amount of used clothing for years, then suddenly starts selling expensive computers). And they can have good feedback (guy sells expensive cameras. Has excellent feedback from a guy - who sells expensive computers. Who has excellent feedback from another guy - who sell slightly used Ming vases. Who has excellent feedback and so on).

I'd say write down the price, go to the genius bar and an Apple store and ask them if that price is possible for a genuine seller. If it is below what Apple charges a reseller, then it cannot be true.