PDA

View Full Version : Remote disc is slow... use an external HDD...

Mikebuzzsaw
Feb 4, 2008, 03:18 PM
Remote disc is slow over a network. Just extract whatever DVD/Cd software you have to a usb stick or external HDD. Boot it up on air. Much easier. That's how I'm installing office..

Eric Lewis
Feb 4, 2008, 03:21 PM
Remote disc is slow over a network. Just extract whatever DVD/Cd software you have to a usb stick or external HDD. Boot it up on air. Much easier. That's how I'm installing office..

are u using wireless N? with an airport extreme?
if not..then it will be slow

Enrico
Feb 4, 2008, 04:21 PM
I usually reinstall Leopard without the printer drivers, languages, etc, and I'm willing to do it now on the MBA more than ever...

Is it possible to install it from the DVD image stored in an external HD?

Btw....does the remote disk already work, or do we have to wait for 10.5.2?

MacRumorUser
Feb 4, 2008, 04:33 PM
Btw....does the remote disk already work, or do we have to wait for 10.5.2?

The discs that ship with the MBA (which has 10.5.1) come with the remote disc software for mac & pc.

Enrico
Feb 4, 2008, 04:37 PM
The discs that ship with the MBA (which has 10.5.1) come with the remote disc software for mac & pc.

Cool!
What about installing Leopard from an HD image? I suppose it'd be faster than wifi (even N)...

dual64bit
Feb 4, 2008, 05:28 PM
My fresh install was quick using remote disk, both computers were N using airport Extreme N.

Don't know about an image, you have to use a utility called "remote install" on the non air computer, and it requires the DVD.

bjdraw
Feb 4, 2008, 05:47 PM
I'm doing a remote install via ethernet (plugged in directly between the two computer) and I have to say it is slow. Booting took forever and the actual install looks like it'll take over an hour.

I had no choice because the Migration assistant screwed up my user account and Apple didn't know how to fix it, instead recommended I re-install. Ohh well, at least I'll get the extra space.

aethelbert
Feb 4, 2008, 06:00 PM
I'm getting good speeds with remote disc on my airport extreme 802.11n network. It might be your connection.